Citibank

Citibank

Branches and Online

Absolutely horrible and un-empathetic customer service

So, I cancelled my Citibank credit card in Dec 2017. Then in March 2018, Citibank issued me a refund of a few dollars and by mistake, someone in their OWN BACKEND department listed my account as delinquent. When I got denied for a new card in April 2019, I called up Citibank as they were the underwrite and that's when I realized they made this mistake. I brought it up for correction on May 10th. Today is June 17th and it still hasn't been corrected. I have called their customer service - India or Philippines at least 5 times in the last 2 weeks and no solution from anyone. Each of them say "call us again on Friday" or give false promises that they will resolve it asap. Their customer service emails accounts -aust.customeradvocacyunit@citi.com and australia.customer.service@citi.com are even worse. 4 emails to them and no response. This is such an extremely frustrating experience with CitiBank. Their call centre must be outsourced to the lowest bidder.

Review TypeCredit Card Application and General Transactions

worst service possible no customer protection

I have a Visa Card (Bank of Queensland uses Citi Bank) since 10 years. When I needed to organize a refund because of a faulty product delivered, the bank was so terrible to deal with that I needed the Ombudsman to finally solve the issue. This took 6 month and would have been very easy with some support from this bank. You deal constantly with different people at the service centre, no one cares and no one keeps promises regarding service.

0 stars would be a better rating

My Citibank travel card is fee free for ATM withdrawals from Citibank ATMs. Only problem is they are basically non existent in Europe and I cannot get an intelligent answer about which banks are preferable for me to use to minimise fees. My last experience was a 10% fee for withdrawing euro in Paris. When I rang to find out where their ATMs are located I managed to navigate their website quicker than the customer service person on the phone only to find out that the only Citibank atm in Europe is in Belgium- basically the only country I'm not going too. I actually think the Citibank staff on the phone have very little product knowledge and I have now spoken to 3 different people. You're basically on your own to deal with and manage your issues.

Review TypeATM Experience

Card applic.Disaster

I wish I'd have read these reviews before applying for a credit card. What a nightmare and total waste of my time.
Satisfied all minimum income criteria, was asked twice for extra details, each time told they'd reply in less than 72 hours. They didn't, I had to contact them. My application was given a "High priority" after 3 weeks and the "Manager" said she'd get back to me if they reqd. More info. Next day was told appl. Unsuccessful! Spoke to their complaints dept., in writing and rec'd a text next day from the head of complaints, saying he'd contact me in 4 business days. Weeks later after numerous calls and"Promises" from managers etc. Still no contact. Was going to try to pursue this higher up but read this review and will not waste any more of my time. I'm usually very persistent but time to call it quits. This company sucks and I will make it my mission to tell as many people as I can not to ever do business with them!!!

Citibank Nightmare

This is by far the most unprofessional bank that my husband and I have had the "privilege", to deal with. The bank unlawfully defaulted my husband's credit card, without any formal notification. The debt has been paid.Their conflict resolution processes are non existant. They run you around like a headless chooks. They don't follow up or acknowledge when you send through the requested documents. They don't acknowledge or attempt to resolve the complaint. The case "managers", never call. I signed and emailed a third party document to speak on my husband's behalf , and the customer service representatives from the call centre still give me grief each time I try to speak on my husnands behalf, even though he has authorized me to do so.
They have 300 different emails to send your queries through, nothing is streamlined. You literally have to shout at the customer representatives over the phone, to get things done, because being nice doesn't get you anywhere. The senior manigers are an absolute joke. They can't solve a puzzle let alone resolve a complaint. We have been forced to go through Australian Financial Credit Authority, and still no resolution. Now have to wait for the Ombudsman to appoint a case manager in order to have the default removed, because of your lazy staff members that didn't update our mailing address for 18 months as requested. It is absolutely disgusting the way we have been treated by Citibank.
The CEO of the bank should be ashamed the way this bank treats their customers.
Citibank should bring the call center to Australia and not force it's customers to deal witn foreign incompetent customer service representatives, who clearly don't have a clue in regards to resolving complaints. There should be a royal commission into this bank and close it's doors in Austtalia permanently . Citibank is a disgrace. I would urge people not to ever bank with this circus institute, because they are nice when they suck you in, but once they unlawfully default you, you are on your own!

Review TypeCredit Card Application and General Transactions

Poor experience in obtaining a credit card, customer service was not useful either

Poor experience attempting to obtain a credit card online, had difficulties so spoke to person on phone who was not much additional help in the process, in the end gave up as the process was so tiring and they did not seem interested in assisting.

terrible, waste of time

applied credit card online, a week later they called me asking a few questions and told me I met all the criteria, and the next day they sent me an email saying I was rejected.

Review TypeCredit Card Application

Can I give no star because they don’t deserve a star for anything

Been their customer for the last 4 years. Started with a couple of branches in Melbourne to non until recently. Customer service sucks. Wrong information given about limit of transfer. They basically hold your money for ransom if you wanna withdraw. They make it difficult for you to make any local transfer. To reset internet banking takes more than 4 hours and we are still waiting for a call back. Stay away from this bank.

Review TypeBusiness Banking and General Transactions

CITIBANK IS NOT A BANK IT IS A BROKER

We have been with the bank for nearly 4 years. We were attracted to the bank because of rates of interest on term deposit. The bank offers high interest rates with a condition that half the amount available should be invested in term deposits and the other half in products they recommend which are mainly US/UK entities. The bank is merely a broker between the US issuer and you. The bank collects the brokerage upfront, the issuer collects their share and although you are told that there is a Citibank of panel of experts monitoring the investment. Ultimately you are left to monitor your own investments with no advice from the "panel".
To transact you have to visit the branch in person for a 'face to face' encounter, cannot be done online in this day and age, if it is a joint account they will not honour a POA granted by NSW Trustees. both the parties holding the joint account have to attend the branch, and you end up filling US IRS forms like W8BEN etc, Don't expect a lot of help from bank staff. For the extra 1 or 1.5% higher interest rate it is not worth dealing with CITI bank. Privacy is a joke. Other customer's account details, telephone numbers are given out in error with profuse apologies thereafter. The staff in general are ill-informed, polite but difficult to contact. They have a new retail banking officer Kate Luft, not sure whether she can improve the pathetic service because of the staff's entrenched behaviour. In short we wouldn't touch them with a barge pole

Review TypeBusiness Banking and General Transactions

Is it possible to give no stars?

Do NOT make the mistake of joining Citibank. Their customer service is non-existent. They will not return your calls or respond to emails despite claiming a '48hr turnaround' - they will not accept responsibility for their mistakes, you will repeat your query to several different teams over & over again each time you call. Joke of a company.

If you should need to query a transaction or request an investigation (both common activities when it comes to banking), you can expect to kiss your money goodbye and waste a lot of time in the process. I was charged for an ATM withdrawal which was cancelled midway through and hence asked Citibank to recover the funds. Four months later nothing had happened, no one had returned my phone calls/messages/emails, and I had repeated my query upwards of 10x to different staff members. When the staff finally looked into this they chased the wrong bank and sent me a convoluted document (to my old address which had since been updated) stating they had done all they could and the case was automatically closed with no resolution. It wasn't until I raised a complaint with AFCA that Citibank offered to resolve the issue, BUT only if I would sign a document saying that I would close my complaint with AFCA. Incredibly dodgy, but explains how they get away with it.

I believe these reviews would be a lot worse if it were possible to give no stars out of 5. i.e. note that even the worst reviews are receiving 1 out of 5 stars, so their overall score of 1.2 out of 5 should say it all. Stay far far away!!!

Review TypeGeneral Transactions

Operators advice wrong information about charges and when you asked they will blame you saying you have agreed the terms

I have been with the citibank for 3yrs and applied for the loan online , when i called them to activate the cards and reconcile the existing accounts in one, they have advised me to that cards have to be activated before doing that and then i asked them what will be the charges for activating those cards or accounts , the operator advised me that there are no charges on both accounts at the moment. So, i have told them to activate and combine the accounts .but when i received the statement i have seen the $199 establishment fee and when asked about it they said if that is what advised to me by the bank they will look after it but it takes 4business days and after waiting 4days received a call saying that i did application online and agreed for the terms and conditions so the fee is not reversible. Worst service ever and they are very rude on call, they just say everything they have to and will hangup.

Review TypeLoan Application and New Account

The worst customer service ever!

We have had a Citibank Credit Card for well over 10 years - might even be over 15 years -I have a supplementary card with my husband as the primary but I have always had full authority on the account (this was lodged when the account was opened) as I look after our accounts & have never had an issue. Today I receive a txt message to my phone asking to verify a suspicious transaction. Rather than reply to the txt I decided to phone in case the txt itself was a scam. Went through all of the security questions to be told I don't have authority they need to speak with my husband & despite me explaining I just needed to know if the txt was a scam they would not help me. I had to go & get my husband from work to come home & then spend 45 minutes on the phone. Txt was genuine - my husband's card was then blocked & a new 1 will be issued. My card would not be affected. We were told that I did have authority on the account & notes would be written accordingly & we would not have to resubmit an authorization form (yay!). Went onto internet banking this afternoon to reconcile our account & all of our transactions have disappeared!!! Phone again & guess what - after going through the security questions again was told I do not have authority on the account!! Was told would have to lodge a form that can only be mailed to them & that only my husband can ask them to sort out the internet banking. I totally agree with the majority of reviews here - the worst customer service. We will be sending a form but it will be to close the account as American Express are extremely good & very easy to deal with!

Customer Service, needs improvement

Wow, after reading the reviews here, it only confirms that I am not the only one who experienced bad service from Citibank. Well, in fairness the Filipino girl I've spoken with over the phone was helpful and was almost ready to resolve the issue. But unfortunately the line was disconnected.

In short, Citibank needs to improve their service.

Terrible service

I opened a saver acct with citibank about 6 months ago. On the application I provided them my correct linked acct which has 9 digits (still keep a copy of the application here). About 2 weeks ago when i tried to transfer saving money out citibank told me the linked acct provided is incorrect, it has only 8 digits instead of 9. Since then i have been running around trying to sort out. Never seen such a lousy service and so slow in process customer's request. They always blamed customers "all is in the fine print, you should have read it etc"

Terrible Service, less than sub-par

I was informed of a fraudulent transaction, that it would be blocked and that I would be issued a new card.

One week later, the fraudulent transaction went through and no card was sent. A call showed that they had neglectfully forgotten to send it. Very disappointing.

Would never bank with them again. I'm strongly considering removing all my savings and moving to a new bank unless serious compensation is made.

Review TypeGeneral Transactions

Great customer service - they have my back!

I paid for a service a few days before and realised after the fact that the service was a scam and then I got a headache thinking of the hassles I would probably have to go through to try to get my money back. I called Citibank with my fingers crossed and they said that as I was a valued customer, they would do a one-off reversal. I was stoked! Thanks Citibank. Next time I will be more vigilant!!

Review TypeGeneral Transactions

Horrible customer service for discharge of mortgage

To discharge a mortgage from Western Australia. We have to send papers by post to Sydney, then wait for Citibank to contact us. This took almost 3 weeks before we were contacted. And after we followed instructions to pay the discharge fee, there was no follow up until I called them up. It has been 4 months since the discharge request was approved. Why? Very unprofessional for a big name bank. Extremely unhappy with their service.

Errors on credit reporting - even corrected the report incorrectly!

I made all my payments on time, but they reported 10 months of overdue payments. They corrected the credit report to show "no missed payments", but they incorrectly added in one month of 90+days overdue! Factually impossible following 10 months of on time payments, and no late fees. Been going around in circles for 5 months trying to get it fixed. Customer service is a waste of time. No consistent answers. No reasoning with people who have very little intelligence! No way to contact department in charge of fixing the credit report. Withdrew my complaint to AFCA only to find the new incorrect report two months later.

It's great,so long as you never need any service from them.

I called Citibank and just needed a statement emailed to me. After providing my DOB, my address,my mother's maiden name, my address, my phone number, my last transaction with them, all this was not enough to authenticate and they refused to help me as an existing customer. Asking me where I opened the account which was years ago as an existing customer I will not remember.

As a result I was not serviced. I will be moving my banking elsewhere.

Review TypeGeneral Transactions

Citibank triples credit card late payment fee

I just received an email advising Citibank are tripling late payment fees on mt credit card from $10 to $30 from April 10 2019. You would have thought institutions like this would have learnt something from the Australian Banking Royal Commission. Very, Very, Very, Very disappointed!

Review TypeGeneral Transactions

How do I get in contact with the CEO of Citibank, Allan Machete? I rang customer service and they refused to give me his contact details.
If he wanted to make himself available he would. Im guessing he's sunning it up un the bahamas living a lavish lifesyle compliments of the account holders. Embezzlement fraud comes to mind. Not a bank you can trust. No physical presence, just well put together showy website anyone can do. Smoke and mirrors. Customers have a false sense of security if conned by the glam adverts. Charged $199.00 set up fee they dont tell you about, and all the other fees they dont tell you about. Then if you want to pull a slab of money you cant. Funny cash slabs are dissapearing from customer accounts. Oh and user auth revoked, accounts getting shut down. All stinks of SCAM to me.Just reading through all complaints, issues started last year. Revamp? Applicants with good jobs and credit history are being denied, which affects their credit rating negatively. My hunch is they will accept big chunky money applicants, have a spending spree on that but are in fact cashless and do not have available funds to payout legitimate account holders, hence the runaround or account blocks for various reasons. Get my drift people. Get out now. You have just been robbed. I say, lets us people here start up a fancy website, take peoples money, spend it on a lavish lifestyle, we win... I would suggest you report these guys #citiscam to the feds and current affair.Is this a face you can trust? https://www.citigroup.com/australia/aboutus/leaders/alan-machet-bio.html

From the reviews and Q&A, it seems that Citibank has gone downhill in Australia!! I banked with Citibank when working overseas in the Asia Pacific, Europe and the USA about 20 years ago. Its reputation for reliability, service and professionalism in those countries is the envy of other banks. So what has happened in Australia?
I believe the CEO Alan Machet appointed late 2017 an import from South Africa is the problem.

What is Citi bank like?
Hi Kathy. I would strongly recommend any bank over Citibank.Thankyou for your adviceProcesses , policies, customer service is garbage. Canstar is till reccomending them because their term Deposit interest rates are fairly good. Look elsewhere first, possibly even under your matress unless you have a very high thrshold for frustration and like spending time on the phone.