Coles Car Insurance
1.4 from 1,372 reviews

stay away from this

very bad customer service -
this is like all dumb people hired by coles !
you explain your case multiple times and no solution at all
definitely no to coles insurance
I would spend my money somewhere else ! Thanks

Car Model2000-2005 Toyota Avalon
Claim DateDecember 2018
Claim ApprovedYes
We're disappointed to hear you feel this way, Michael. Could you please send us a private message so we can have this looked into further?

I wish I could give 0 stars

I made a claim on my COLES home and contents insurance. They advised me that is was fine and likely to go ahead. Pretty straight forward. That was in January.
They sent their inspector who verbally advised it would go ahead. Then I heard nothing for months. So I emailed. No response! I emailed the case manager 3 times. Still no response. So today I called. They advised me the claim had been denied in February but they had not advised me. So I have spent 4 months waiting for a response with a damaged bathroom. Massively inconvenient. Could the customer service actually be any worse? I cannot cancel this appalling policy fast enough.
DO NOT USE COLES INSURANCE!!!

Car ModelToyota LandCruiser 70 VDJ GXL
Claim DateJanuary 2019
Claim ApprovedNo
We're sorry to hear of your frustrating experience Elisabeth, and we'd like to assist further. If you'd be happy for us to organise this, could you please send us a private message confirming your full name, date of birth, policy number and best contact number?

Terrible Customer service. Don't use this company!

I have been with Coles insurance for a few years. I recently put in a claim which I cancelled as I decided to go via the persons insurance who hit me. Coles refused to cancel my claim! I ws told their customer servicce is in South Africa! I fully intend changing insurance companies!

Car ModelMazda 2
Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim DateMay 2019
Claim ApprovedNo
We're sorry to hear of your frustrating experience Jo, and we'd like to assist further. If you'd be happy for us to organise this, could you please send us a private message confirming your full name, date of birth, policy number and best contact number?

THE WORST

Was involved in an accident with a coles insured driver. I was a stationary vehicle when the driver ran a red a crashed into me. It been nearly 6 months and now they just told me there driver was at fault, yet this lady on the phone trying to turn it on me like it was my fault. She just started yelling at me on the phone. I was on the phone an hour before I even got put through to her. She was so worked up she hung up me haha. Typical insurance people. Quick to take the money slow to hand it out. Negative 100 stars for service

Insurance TypeCompulsory Third Party
Plan covers drivers under 25No
Car ModelMitsubishi Magna TE (1996-1997)
Claim DateDecember 2018
Claim ApprovedNo
We're sorry to hear of your frustrating experience Gus, and we'd like to assist further. If you'd be happy for us to organise this, could you please send us a private message confirming your full name, date of birth, policy number and best contact number?Generic response. Same response to everyone that writes a review on here

Poor service

We had a car involved in a accident 12 months ago and are still trying to sort it out keep getting put on hold for ages for no response pitterful

Insurance TypeThird Party, Fire and Theft
Claim DateFebruary 2019
We're sorry to hear of your frustrating experience Chris, and we'd like to assist further. If you'd be happy for us to organise this, could you please send us a private message confirming your full name, date of birth, policy number and best contact number?

Other Driver in wrong with Coles Insurance, still waiting on decision 7 weeks this Wednesday ...

Avoid them who are looking at getting policies with them!!! Stick with Supermarkets in industry, you are useless!

I was hit by another Driver, they contacted you that night. Still no resolution for the grief in damage with driving a damaged Car nearly 7 weeks later ... As an self employed business owner, am lost for words in no professionalism at all! Give 0 if it was an option.

Insurance TypeThird Party Property Damage
Plan covers drivers under 25No
Car ModelFord Falcon AU (1998-2002)
Claim MadeNo
We're sorry to hear of your frustrating experience Julie, and we'd like to assist further. If you'd be happy for us to organise this, could you please send us a private message confirming your full name, date of birth, policy number and best contact number?Will send one tomorrow.

Steer clear of this bunch! Deserves NO star at all.

I took out a policy in November last year, got a better offer from another insurer saving $40 per month called Coles Insurance to see if they could match price answer was no but 10% off policy, so I cancelled my policy with them.... or so I thought, premiums kept coming out, contacted them promises to stop deductions and cancel policy. Poor response rate to emails had to keep sending. Luckily I changed to a dormant bank account I have as they were still trying to deduct premiums, sending me SMS’s that premiums were dishonoured. Contacted again and was “assured” by the so called “team leader” that the monies owing would be refunded and policy cancelled. Here I am 4 months later still waiting for the refund. So this is just a shamozzle Coles Insurance. I have now got onto a very helpful “resolutions” lady hopefully this can get sorted. Very incompetent staff you employ.

Car ModelMercedes-Benz E-Class
Claim MadeNo
We're sorry to hear of your frustrating experience and we'd like to assist further. If you'd be happy for us to organise this, could you please send us a private message confirming your full name, date of birth, policy number and best contact number?

Absolutely useless

Parents have been with the insurance company for as long as I can remember. Totally fine if all your claims are fault free but as soon as liability is grey it becomes a totally different story. Absolutely terrible when it comes to follow up and follow through. They say they will call you back with an outcome in the next day or so but do they? Absolutely NOT. If you enjoy repeating yourself time and time again, If you like waiting unknown periods of time without knowing what is happening & If you live for the thrill of trying to defend your position when everyone (including your own insurance) is pointing fingers at you. Coles Insurance is the best Insurer for that. If you actually want good service and someone who will be with you every step of the way, GO ELSEWHERE.

Car ModelToyota Camry
Claim DateJanuary 2019
Claim ApprovedNo
We're sorry to hear about your experience. If you'd be happy for us to look into this further, could you please send us a PM with your full name, contact number, date of birth and claim number?

worst than terrible

1) there are only two body car repairers in armidale, I know both and I have a strong preference for one over the other. This could not be accommodated by coles insurance fully comprehensive insurance on my car.
2) when I called to ask if I could use my preferred repairers, I was told to "Try again" the claims department, I was told "Maybe a more simpathetic person will answer the phone". I did that and got the same answer again, must go with the only approved repairer. They said that there is a special "Plus" policy that would allow me to choose the repairer. I told them I had never been told about this special policy. I said I would sign up to it right now, to use my favourite repairer. They told me that I could sign up, but could not use it for this claim, even though the collusion literally had just happened the previous day.
3) I submitted the claim online on may 2, 2019; and went to the repairers for the photos. I heard nothing for several days.
4) I looked online for the satus of the claim, I got error notice. I called back claims on may 6; the person said that somehow nothing had happened yet for that claim. She was very helpful (name [name removed]) and called the repairers while I was on hold. The repairers were then put through and told me that they would now process the claim and forward it to the assessor.
5) the whole process will turn out to be extremely lengthy, with long waits everytime I try to call.
- coles insurance was not even remotely accomodating regarding using the preferred repairer, even after I told the sales consultant that I would take out this "Plus" policy, which had never been offered to me previously, and is not advertised online.
- coles insurance online claim process failed. If I hadnt called myself, the claim would not have processed at all.
- coles insurance process from claim to booking a repair date, takes an inordinate length of time.
- the repairers in my location told me that they are processing more than 200 claims at present. The wait time until my car is actually repaired and ready to take home will be months. Even so, coles will not allow another repairer to take care of claims.
- I have been paying insurance to coles now for almost 3 years, never claimed before. Before that I have been with Allianz and with [name removed]. I have never had such a bad time with an insurer as with coles.

Plan covers drivers under 25No
Car ModelToyota Corolla E150 (2007-2012)
Claim DateMay 2019
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We're very disheartened to learn of this poor and frustrating experience. So that we're able to look into this further, could you please send us a private message with your full name, date of birth, claim number and best contact number?

Need a Lawyer to get a resolution

We were involved in an accident, other driver left the scene so no guesses as to who is at fault ! We have dash cam of the incident (inc rego) and despite this Coles will not chase down the name / address of other driver and is demanding we pay the excess...

Now engaging a Solicitor to get a resolution.

Coles should be embarrassed to associate itself with this Insurance.

Down Down the Service is down !

Claim DateApril 2019
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we're very sorry to hear about this poor and frustrating experience, So we can look into this further, could you please send us a private message with your full name, date of birth, policy number and best contact number?Hi, we have provided you our details and also tried to contact your complaints resolution Team - left a message this morning and no call back as at 6pm. Contacted your general call Centre again and just gets better, advised excess will need to be paid unless other driver charged ! Nothing in your PDS about this ? Next call is to AFCA.Our apologies for the delay in response. We've now replied to your private message.

One star is too generous!!

The value of the policy was amazing at first glance, cheap and easy. but after making a claim, I found it to be very difficult and Coles Car Insurance staff were very wishy-washy with their responses over the phone.

First, they would say Im being reimbursed, then they would say I need to provide evidence, then they'd say they received my evidence and it was being processed, then now saying they haven't received any evidence and I won't be getting reimbursed. it has been 5 months and still no resolution!

I am now in the process of dealing with AFCA to find a simple resolution to the issue. Coles Insurance staff talk all nice and friendly on the phone, but I have since been informed that they refuse most claims and their call centre staff actually get commissions for refusing claims!

Car ModelToyota LandCruiser 70 VDJ GXL
Claim DateFebruary 2019
Claim ApprovedNo

Canceled my car & home insurance policies without any prior notice

I had comprehensive car insurance for more than 6 years with Coles and I have found that my insurance policy was canceled last year when I have contacted to make a claim in last week. The fault was with other party and driver was drunk and driving at high speed, lost his control and hit the back side of my car and damaged it. Coles claim consultant said my policy was canceled few months ago and mentioned that cancellation notice sent via email which I have not even received it. But I have not asked them to change my main contact point postal address option, and gave an email address to use it as secondary option for this important correspondents. I have 3 insurances with Coles and later I found my property insurance also canceled at the same time due to direct debit was failed. But again there was no previous warning or cancellation notice from this irresponsible company . This is not acceptable at all as my property and car without insurance for such a long time and put my family in such a risk. I have been trying to follow up this every day to get this sorted and there was no courtesy call for this follow up from this poor customer service team even I have few other policies with them , but not considering the value of the customers. I never had any previous claims too. Now I am with out a car as there was no active insurance and it was more than a week and there was no progress of this claim. I do not recommend this Coles Insurance for any one and worst customer experience ever and zero star deserved.

Claim MadeNo
We're disappointed to hear this and we'd like to look into this further for you. We'd recommend calling our Customer Care Team on 1300 265 374, as they're best placed to assist.You have not provided and reference number for me to quote & customer care team is in offshore and does not understand what customer needs and value of the customers. I have really bad experience by talking to them.If you have genuine interest please get my email address from product review team which I have already provided. My next step is to lodge a complain through the ombudsman .

The worst company I have ever dealt with

My daughter had an accident. While standing next to the steaming wreckage, I called Coles to inform them of the accident & begin the claim process for the other driver. Many weeks later I get letters from the other driver’s insurance company threatening us with legal action!! I contacted Coles Insurance again. Only to find out they had made a “note” on the file. Finally they send out that we need to pay the excess but with not payment details. Another hour or 2 wasted on the phone to deal with these people!! No notifications when payment has been received. They are not very good at communicating. Plus despite my daughter’s car being written off, they are still charging my monthly policy fee! Now another couple of hours list on the phone to deal with this. This has been a terrible experience. Policy might be cheap but savings not worth the stress & time dealing with this!

Insurance TypeThird Party, Fire and Theft
Car ModelHolden Astra
Claim DateMarch 2019
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we're very sorry to hear about this poor and frustrating experience, So we can look into this further, could you please send us a private message with your full name, date of birth, policy number and best contact number?I provided my email address to product review please use that. I’m not sending my details to an unknown person.No worries; we'd recommend calling our Customer Care Team on 1300 265 374 to follow this up further.

No1 Cheating people

In my house water filter busted and whole house was flooded. I have insurance with Coles insurance. I informed them. Some people came. Dismantle whole furnitures including bed. Removed entire carpert. Dried the floor and went. After that no news. After a week I called them regarding my claim. They said the building people come and evaluate the damage and given their phone no. After multiple calles they came. Took 14 days. They evaluated the damage and went. After that did numerous calles. Some times they put me on hold for 45 mins. No proper answer. Could not talk to the managers. They took exactly 31 days to finalise for cash settlement which is much less than actual damage. I put money to fix the new carpet and damaged plumbing. I had insurance with them more than 10 years. First claim. Went behind them as cheap. Absolutely terrible insurance company. Please do not have insurance with them.

Claim ApprovedYes
We're sorry to learn of your poor experience. Could we confirm that your review was meant for our Home Insurance, as you've posted on our Car Insurance page?

An ongoing Nightmare

19 March: Accident. Called coles explained situation. They seemed helpful and agreed accident was not my fault and excess waived.
20 March: Damaged assessed and repair booked.
25 March: car taken in for repair. Quoted 3 weeks.
3 April: Car moved to new repairer with contact or explanation. A 9 day delay which I complained about and was given a courtesy car for those 9 days only.
9 April: Received email stating excess is re-applied to my claim as other party would not admit guilt. They then requested I fill out an Incident description form which I told them I had already emailed them on March 20. The lady on the phone looked back through the emails and said oh yeah there it is but we cant waive excess until we have the incident description from the other party and decide who is at fault. I then asked her if the repairs have even been started she replied yes.
April 11: Drive past repairer and see my vehicle parked outside on the curb untouched.
23 days have now passes and the repair of my car hasn't even started. I wish I had purchased a courtesy car as part of my policy. I'm completely in the dark as to what is happening. I'm stuck at home with no car and have to catch the bus to work.

Claim DateApril 2019
Hi there, thanks for getting in touch. We're sorry to hear of your disappointment and we'd like to assist further. Can you please send us a private message confirming your full name, claim/policy number and best contact number?Daniel Albrecht Claim:col191589888 Ph:0407995543Thanks for confirming, Daniel. We've passed your info onto our Claims Team and a team member will be in contact with you soon.

Worst insurer ever, claim process it’s a nightmare

We had for 3 years comprehensive car insurance with Coles and when we had car accident the nightmare started. Complete lack of communication and transparency. Some people from Customer service are quite abrupt and rude, not possible to talk to anyone who could made a decision because they just refused to put you through.
18 days after accident car is not even assessed and Coles doesn’t even bother to inform us.
Endless phone calls to Coles without any result, always empty promises that someone will contact us and nobody does.
We open a dispute and finally 2 days later had a phone call from Coles but again with no information only that assessor will contact us and they will extend the hire of replacement car for another 4 days which in total would give us 14 days . Again another week went and no phone call or email, once more phoned Coles to find out what is happening with our car, also asked them to extend the car hire. Just find out that car still is not assessed and they will not extend the hire of replacement car.
Then I contacted Customer Relations which is an independent to resolve a dispute. Person from there was very helpful, Coles extended the car hire for another week, but still the problem with repairs is not resolved and we don’t know how long it will take. Waiting for phone call from the Manager of Assessing Department, I’ll be very surprised if he will actually call me.
When we renewed the policy we were not aware that Coles changed their PDS and we are not allowed to choose our own repairer, they failed to send us an updated PDS, if we knew this we would never go with them.
In addition, their PDS is clearly stating “If your car is damaged in an insured event and you need to
rent a replacement car, we will arrange and pay the cost of renting a similar car until your car has been repaired, or if your car is irreparable, when we settle your claim, or 14 days after you first rent the replacement car.” It is a statement open for interpretation, obviously Coles does not provide replacement car until the client car is repaired, so they should remove this paragraph from PDS.
Coles insurance is a scam, I have a worst experience with this company, we are so stressed out, they happy to take money but when comes to claim everything changes, never again. I will not even shop in Coles from now on.

Car ModelJeep Cherokee KL Limited
Claim ApprovedYes
Hi Nina, thanks for getting in touch with us. We're sorry to hear of your frustrating experience with our service. We'd like to have your feedback shared with our teams, can you please send us a private message confirming your full name, policy/claim number and best contact number?This is your typical answer to all bed reviews, don’t know how to use a pm, so the claim no. is COL191589655. By the way, after publishing the review had a phone call from your assessor that the car is written off, we will see how long will take Coles claim departament to settle the claimSorry for the hassle Nina; you can send us a private message by clicking on our profile icon, and then the green "Send Message' button.

A terrible ongoing experience

2 weeks after the accident my car still not assessed called the insurance emailed every time i get a different answer or excuse I asked why it taking so long no valid excuse

Claim ApprovedNo
Hi Boukhriss, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We're disappointed to hear of your poor experience. We'd recommend sending us a private message confirming your full name, claim/policy number and best contact number so we can assist further.I have send email coles no response

Outstanding service

I switched my Mother to Coles for her comprehensive Motor Vehicle insurance. A few months after that Mum was involved in a minor crash. She was very impressed with the timely manner in which the matter was dealt. Also the customer service at the repair centre was without fault. Thanks for helping my Mum get back on the road Coles!

Plan covers drivers under 25No
Car ModelToyota Corolla E150 (2007-2012)
Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Claim ApprovedYes
Hi Ellis, thanks for getting in touch. We're glad to hear of your mother's great experience with our service! We'll be sure to share your kind words with our teams so they're aware.

Little Red Crooks

Terrible customer service. Not even close to the best price or coverage for what you pay. Had there comprehensive coverage for five years. Never made a claim or had an accident and my premium kept going up each year. How does coverage go up when the value of your car depreciates over time. Just imagine if I made a claim for anything.

To be honest I was just lazy and paid the insurance each year without shopping around. Finally this year I called them to find out why it was going up and they where rude and unwilling to negotiate at all. Not competitive with other companies and they don't even care about there long time customers. Needless to say I found another provider and should have done it long ago.

By the looks of there rating, I'm not the only one getting ripped off. Word of mouth is a powerful thing and so are online reviews. I'll certainly be warning everyone and there dog about Coles service. Save your hard earned money and shop around. So many better providers who care about there customers.

Car ModelMazda 2
Claim MadeNo
Hi Chris, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We're disappointed to hear you had a poor experience with your car insurance and we'll ensure your comments are shared with our Customer Care Team for review. If you'd like to discuss this further with our team, please give us a call on 1300 265 374.298 people have read my review in 11 days! I'd say I'm off to a good start. I've already changed my car insurance provider. Pass that on to your Customer Care Team for me. Keep up the great business model Coles. A score rating this low takes real skill. Hope it helps your bottom line.We're sorry to see you go, Chris. We hope you'll give us another chance in the future.

Worst insurer ever. SCAM

I was reversing out of a Carpark when a person opposite me decided to reverse at the same time. I honked my horn a few times which he did not hear (older man with hearing aids) fast forward, I got his licence number, two, name, insurance company. A witness came forward. The at fault man said he knew what had happened and would not contest it.
I rung Coles. They said , great you're not at fault. Please go to such and such a repairer and get a quote then we can forward it to the other insurer. I rung to organise the quote "sorry we don't do quotes, we quote and repair at the same time" no thanks, I'm not paying my excess (850) when I'm not at fault. I will wait for other insurer to claim liability. Rung coles back and told them this. No problem they say. 2 weeks later I ring, what's going on? No communication to date. Oh, there was no note on your file saying you weren't getting the quote, I will get your case manager to call you tomorrow. 2 days later I call them!!! You didn't get the drivers phone number or address. We can't move forward with the claim, you will need to find his details so we can contact him and put your claim in. Then for the 5th time I am getting harassed to pay my excess and get the car repaired.. Oh you will get it refunded when the insurer accepts liability. No! Put my claim through and the other insurer will sort it out. YOU don't contact the driver, THEY do. Ok I'll call you back. 15 min later.. driver has not filed a claim with his insurer (He had no damage) so this will likely be a (can't remember their exact words, mutual liability?) So I will have no claim?? Doesn't sound right. So I have to ring the other insurer. Is Coles right??? No way they said. Tell them to send the claim through (remember I have his rego, licence and full name) and we will contact him or hand over to coles his phone number. Rung coles back, asked to speak to a manager. Manager is just as thick. Nope, they lied to you, we need his phone number.. OMG!!!!!! Then he hung up on me. Fix this issue and repair my car and I will change this review. I have read too many reviews about people who gave up, repaired the car themselves and left your company. Is that your business plan??? Outrageous

Car ModelSuzuki Swift
Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim ApprovedNo
Hi there, thanks for getting in touch. We're sorry to hear of your disappointment and we'd like to assist further. Can you please send us a private message confirming your full name, claim/policy number and best contact number?I don't know how to send you a private message. Claim number is COL191579905 you can find my details there . I have also sent a private message to the Coles facebook page. I will be expecting your phone call ASAPThanks for confirming. We'll follow this up with you on your Facebook message.