Coles Car Insurance
1.4 from 1,421 reviews

Coles "Market Value" is about half what it is actually worth.

I just did an online quote for insurance for my 2018 Honda HRV. It is less than a year old and hasn't even done 20 000 km. I have done a few other online and face to face quotes that have given it a market value of $21 500 to $23 000 and I believe this is probably a fair value for my car. When the quote came up at around $283 I was excited as it was so cheap, but I started to read the fine print after reading other reviews of Coles trickery and misleading representations of their policies. Sure enough, the online quote had given my less than 12 month old car a market value of $12 825!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's about half what it is worth. Imagine if the car is written off, I couldn't buy a similar car for half of what it is actually worth. When I adjusted the agreed value to $21 500, the policy was $352, which is still pretty good compared to other policies, but I am now too wary of what other hidden conditions exist due to their grossly deflated valuation of my car. I will look elsewhere.

Short sighted

They charged $83 on a $470 policy with 2 months left to change address !! Moved from Camp hill Qld to the Lawley Wa both up market suburbs. They missed out on insurance for my new house also my second car and caravan !!
Guess I’ll be missing out on bonus flyby points in 2 months !!!!

Car ModelMazda BT-50
Claim MadeNo
Hi Ron, we regularly review the premiums our customers pay to ensure they reflect the cost of protecting your house or car. If you’d like to understand more about how insurance prices are calculated, please visit: www.coles.com.au/insurance-prices-explained. If you’d like to chat further, please call us on 1300 265 374.

They’ll do anything to delay giving you a payout for your written off vehicle

My car was written off after being crashed into when parked. Coles was very helpful at first - took my claim, organised a tow truck, etc. They told me that as I had only had my policy for a week, I needed to send information such as a copy of my old insurance policy with another company so they could make sure that the claim was valid. I was happy to do this and sent it through. I assumed they were processing my claim but when I called back a week later they claimed I hadn’t sent the information. I told them I had sent it, they looked it up and were able to find it in their system. They told me they would look into the information I had sent them and keep me updated with the progress of my claim. Then, another week later I still hadn’t heard anything so I called them again only to have them do the same thing - claim I hadn’t sent the information they had asked for. I resent the information (despite already having done it) and they assured me they would be in touch the next day to tell me if my claim had been approved. The next day they called and said it had been approved and was being sent to the finance department so my claim could be processed and the money sent. I checked if they needed any more information but was assured I had given all the information necessary and that the money would be in my account in 3-5 business days. Then, 5 days later I got a call saying they couldn’t process my claim because I hadn’t given them the police report number - after I had checked if they needed more information and they said no. I emailed the information through immediately and explicitly asked in the email for them to send confirmation that the information was received and that the claim was processed. A week later I had received no confirmation! I kept calling only to be put on hold and I sent multiple emailed which were unanswered. Only when I sent a serious email expressing my extreme disappointment did I hear back from them. I finally received my payout over a month after making my claim.

Dealing with Coles Car Insurance was an extremely stressful and unnecessarily difficult process. They used delay tactic after delay tactic to avoid giving me my payout, including claiming I hadn’t sent information which they had previously claimed to have received, not responding to emails, and telling me they had all the information they needed from me when they didn’t. A process that should’ve been relatively easy and stress-free took over a month which is absolutely ridiculous. I was severely disappointed with their customer service, lack of communication and deceit.

Car ModelMazda 2 DJ Neo Automatic
Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim DateJuly 2019
Thanks for taking the time to share your review. We're disappointed to hear about the delay with your claim. We'll ensure your feedback is passed on to our Claims Team so they're aware.

Good value if you haven't had a claim before

Handle the claim nicely and the road assistance service is very useful. Overall is good value for the service it provided. The setback is my insurance is double after I lodge a claim.

Car ModelMazda CX-5
Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Claim DateJune 2017
Claim ApprovedYes
Hi Andrew, thanks for your review. :)

Expensive quotes with higher excess fees

I had a coles insurance for more than 5 years and but wanted to lower the excess fees. I have been re-quoted but the premium was very high. only positive is you will get bonus Flybys points when you pay your premium. I have changed to a different provider with a better deal.

Claim MadeNo
Hi Niran, thanks for your feedback. We'll ensure your feedback is shared with the relevant teams for their review.

Loyalty reaps nothing. Shop elsewhere

Loyalty mesns nothing. Don't renew, just go online and get a quote. You'll receive a 10% discount. Having been with them for 7 years and multiple cars, their system only finds your current vehicle/policy. They provude greater discounts for new customers rather than existing ones. Poor thinking

Claim MadeNo
Hi JLKSYH, thanks for getting in touch and we're disappointed to hear this. We'll ensure your feedback is shared with the relevant teams for their review.

Look elsewhere

Terrible customer service. Each year they increase premiums. Went up from 83 and Want to charge me 90 when found another company for 59.95 with better conditions and lower excess. I would not recommend

Claim MadeNo
Hi James, thanks for getting in touch. We regularly review the premiums our customers pay to ensure they reflect the cost of protecting your house or car. If you’d like to understand more about how insurance prices are calculated, please visit: www.coles.com.au/insurance-prices-explained. If you’d like to chat further, please call us on 1300 265 374.

Car insurance

Coles insurance is one of the worst experience i have ever had. They fix my car with really bad quality stuff and won't fix it properly. I won't be using this service anymore

Claim ApprovedYes
Hi Gagandeep, thanks for getting in touch. We're sorry to hear this! To follow this up further, we'd recommend calling our Customer Care Team on 1300 265 374, as they're best suited to assist. We're sorry for any hassle.

Best and affordable excess. ..

Coles has affordable excess for under 25 years old. Premium is affordable for monthly payment. If you allow online chatting on your website like NRMA would be nicer. Also, windscreen should not be limited to just one time .

Car ModelToyota Yaris
Claim MadeNo
Hi Anna, we'll pass on your suggestion!

Very Happy with Coles Insurance

I can't fault Coles Insurance. Have been with them for 4 or 5yrs. Minor accident earlier this year. Other driver was at fault - minor damage was repaired promptly. Even though I wasn't covered for hire car on my policy while my car was being repaired; Coles claimed the one day hire car cost & recovered it for me.
Very happy :))

Car ModelToyota Yaris
Claim Resolution Time<1 week
Claim DateMay 2019
Claim ApprovedYes
Hi Anne, we're glad to hear that you're happy!

Avoid at all costs - You are effectively Ininsured

I had a very minor bump in a shopping centre carpark. It was so minor there was no damage to my car and the other car, which had stopped so it was not visible had a mudguard pushed in 10mm or so. The other driver simply sat there and watched without doing a thing - contrary to the first rule of the motor traffic act.
I finished up paying over $1,000. Coles Insurance just hung me out to dry and were more than negligent in their duty to their clients My final conclusion is other companies now know Coles insurance offer zero support to their clients and suggest ALL bits and pieces be fixed up - Look elsewherre because any money you save will b taken up and more

Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Hi IanT, thanks for bringing this to our attention. We're sorry to hear of your poor experience with our service and we'll be sure to share your disappointment with our team. If you'd like to discuss this further, please feel welcome to reach out to us via PM including your full name, contact number and policy number, as we'd be happy to arrange for our Customer Care team to look into this with you.

Make everything more stressful then it needs to be!

An incredibly frustrating business to interact with - I continually chase them up only to be put on hold for excessive periods at a time, treat you like you’re a second class citizen and question your integrity.
I’ve had to make a claim for damage on the date I renewed insurance - I specifically asked if I was covered when I took out the insurance and they said yes. They agreed to insure my car but now they are doing whatever they can to make this claims process difficult. No one has contacted me, they don’t care and as soon as you call they put you on hold. So incredibly frustrating and would not recommend

Claimant is the policy holder Yes
Hi Emma, thanks for bringing this to our attention. We're sorry to hear of your poor experience with our service and we'll be sure to share your disappointment with our team. Could you please PM us your full name, contact number and policy number, so we're able to arrange for our Customer Care team to look into this for you?I have sent a PM

I might as well sort every thing out myself

This year I had a couple of bad luck with my car, hail damage and got rear ended so I can give prospective on making a claim and lodging a not at fault claim and I can say both experience has been frustrating.
Hail Damage -
Severe hail storm in Dec 20 2018. Lodge a claim for hail damage, was given a number to call up hail damage repairer myself which is disappointing as I thought Cole would assist me in getting this sorted out.
I had rental car extra in my comprehensive policy but was told that I need to book rental car myself closer to the date of repair, again disappointing as I thought Cole would also assist me in getting this sorted out. Rental was only for 2 weeks only and it won't be for a like for like car, again disappointing as it wasn't explained to me when buying the policy. So buyers beware, if the repair takes longer than 2 weeks, you will need to pay for the extra days.
The time to get the car repaired is also disappointing, I understand a lot of people had been affected by the hail storm so there was a backlog but taking 6 months to get the car repaired is crazy and its still has ongoing issues. Let me break this down, it took 3 months to book in an inspection, took another 3 months to drop car off for repair, repair took 4 weeks to get it repaired (1 extra week because the repairer's painter messed up). 2 weeks after repair, found that 6 screws was missing, went back to repairer, was told had to wait for parts, a week later, dropped car off 13/08/2019 and waited for 30 min only to be told wrong parts was order, currently still waiting for parts to arrive and have car dropped off again. None of this is with the assistance of Coles insurance

Not at fault
Got rear ended by another car on a raining day in early Aug
Lodge a claim with Coles hoping they will sort it out for me, was told they can book car for repair in a weeks time. I asked for them to sort out the rental car for me which they said they can only give me for 2 weeks as per the rental agreement. I explain that I wasn't at fault, so the other party should pay for the rental and hope Coles can represent me and sort this out. Was advise that it just easier to use my rental. So in other words, Coles is too lazy to even call up the other party to seek rental compensation.
Also note, I had to call the other party to get their claim number, not Coles.
I had to call right2drive to sort out rental car for myself, not Coles
The most frustrating thing was when I dropped the car off I was told by the repairer that it was only for inspection and will need to book another day for car to be dropped off for repair. This apparently happens a lot because the insurance can't be bother to check the minor but important details between dropping a car off for inspection or dropping a car off for repair.

So would I recommend Coles car insurance, Well, if you want to pay someone your hard earn money so you can do all the calling up, following up, sorting out yourself then yes, go for Coles.
But if you expect some sort of customer service or some sort of care for their customers then it would be a big fat no from me.
I will be looking at other insurances when I am up for renewal as the experience and time wasted is just not worth the money saved.

Car ModelSkoda Yeti
Claim ApprovedYes
Hi Mike, thanks for bringing this to our attention. We're sorry to hear of your poor experience with our service and we'll be sure to share your disappointment with our team. If you'd like to discuss this further, please feel welcome to reach out to us via PM including your full name, contact number and policy number, as we'd be happy to arrange for our Customer Care team to look into this with you.Coles, PM you my details, look forward to hearing from you

DO NOT USE COLES CAR INSURANCE!!!! My experiences were HORRIBLE.

I bought a car insurance policy on the night of Aug 11, 2019 and chose the policy to start on Aug 12. Unfortunately, on Aug 12, when I sit in my car parked on the curb in front of my daughter's school, another car hit my car when the driver was trying reverse-parking. The damage was not too bad (I got a quote from my panel repairer for 650$). When I called Coles Car Insurance, the unthinkable happened: they told me that I cannot make my claim!!! I said that the policy has started on Aug 12, why cann't i make the claim? The agent just spoke a lot of legalese on phone and says there are some "terms" in the "Disclosure Statement" of something. I pulled up the document and ask her where the terms are and on which page, and obviously she had no idea the "term" is. I must admit that I lost control and yelled a little since she just avoided any jobs she should be doing. She ask me to "hang on for a while " and she will find the terms in the document. The call transferred to music and I the music kept on for the next 20 minutes until I hang up.....

I have 3 cars and I used Coles car insurance for the last 2 years and never made any claims. I paid thousands of $$ and Coles car insurance never did anything for me. Before I made this claim , I think because it was the other drivers fault in the accident, Coles Insurance only need to collect the repairing fees from the other driver's insurance company. And this job they are very reluctant to do.

My impression: the customer support is rude. they only care about marketing and collecting insurance premium and they are treating customers as just a bunch of idiots.

Car ModelToyota Kluger GSU40R
Claim DateAugust 2019
Claim ApprovedNo
Hi Jiang, thanks for bringing this to our attention. We're sorry to hear of your poor experience with our service and we'll be sure to share your disappointment with our team. If you'd like to discuss this further, please feel welcome to reach out to us via PM including your full name, contact number and policy number, as we'd be happy to arrange for our Customer Care team to look into this with you.no need any more. i have cancelled all my insurances with Coles.We're sorry to hear that, Jiang. We hope you give us another chance in the future.

Dreadful

Been with them for a few years. 4 weeks ago a young man ploughed into Ute then totalled our recently bought caravan. He's fully comp Coles too but Coles haven’t even called us.

Claim MadeNo
Hi Annie, thanks for bringing this to our attention. We're sorry to hear of your poor experience with our service and we'll be sure to share your disappointment with our team. If you'd like to discuss this further, please feel welcome to reach out to us via PM including your full name, contact number and policy number, as we'd be happy to arrange for our Customer Care team to look into this with you.

I would give 0 stars if I could

I got into an accident with a lady who had her insurance through Coles, so I had to deal with them unfortunately. Bizar how difficult it was to get in touch with them! I've send them lots of emails, but nothing. Then when I finally did talk to them they promised follow up emails that never came. They promised to send me more pictures of the damage that never came. They even dared stating that I didn't have to pay until they sent me more pictures to eventually threat with legal actions if I wasn't paying (with still no communication in the mean time).

Imagine what would happen if you'd be trying to get money from them! Good luck...

Insurance TypeCompulsory Third Party
Claimant is the policy holder No
Claim DateDecember 2018
Hi Mav, thanks for getting in touch and we're disappointed to hear of this. We'll ensure your feedback is shared with the relevant teams. We're sorry for any disappointment.

Horrible. Go elsewhere.

I’ve constantly been trying to renew my insurance with them just to be messed around. I call up and they’re very rude and give you false information. All they care about is money. Got a quote from them for $1300 and did it online myself and got a $700 quote. Coles sucks. Got elsewhere.

Car ModelMazda 2
Claim MadeNo
Hi Ambz, thanks for reaching out to us. We're sorry to hear of your poor experience with our service and we'll be sure to share your disappointment with our team.

One Of Worst Insurance Companies For A Car

The staff in the coles don't seem to care. Don't ring you back keep you waiting drag out things when it comes to pay you the value is low, always in there favour.

Claimant is the policy holder No
Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Claim DateJuly 2019
Claim ApprovedYes
Hi Ian, thanks for reaching out to us. We're sorry to hear of your poor experience with our service and we'll be sure to share your disappointment with our team.

No problem here

I've had Coles insurance for my car a while now and never had issues. In saying that I've never made a claim, only used the road side assistance which I found they used Racq for anyway so I was pleasantly surprised.

Plan covers drivers under 25No
Car ModelMitsubishi lancer ES Hatchback.
Claim MadeNo
We're glad to hear of your positive feedback! Thanks for your review.

Cannot trust Coles Insurance

Setting up Coles insurance online was easy. However, the problem I faced was dishonesty. I selected the insurance as monthly payments when I lodge the file but for a reason that I do not know they have deducted annual fee from my account, which was $1000+, then I called them asking to revert it, and they told me it would take 3-5 days for money to come to my account. The cancellation done on 26th Friday and the agent pretended that I would get the money on 29th or 30th. Nevertheless, up to today I have not received any money. This is a huge inconvenience for me because I have to pay other bills too. In addition, when I called them today, they are saying that the process takes time and I will receive money probably on 5th or 6th August, I am wondering why the person who talked to me on 26th couldn’t say this? So I would have arrange some money to pay my other bills, Why this dishonesty?

Car ModelNissan X-Trail
Claim MadeNo
Hi Sachila, thanks for reaching out to us. We're sorry to hear of your poor experience with our service and we'll be sure to share your disappointment with our team. If you'd like to discuss this further, please feel welcome to reach out to us via PM including your full name, contact number and policy number, as we'd be happy to arrange for our Customer Care team to look into this with you.Hi, thanks for replying. They resolved my problem.We're happy to hear this, Sachila.

I request for access fee refunds and I got refund form from coles insurance but 3month after they still haven't refund yet. Is it possible?? I asked 4times but nothing response. Just got auto response about 3 to 5 business day.
Hi, thanks for getting in touch. We'd recommend that you contact our Customer Support Team on 1300 265 374 as they'll be best suited to assist you further.

Could someone in car claims. Communicate. Put in a claim on 25th august. Someone phone to say my car was written off about 6 days later. And to submit the details of bank. Now we are having issues again. Saying i have to wait for an emailbefore i can hand the plates in. I was in the right. But there also hanging on to the excess as well. I live out of town and theres no transport. How long does it take to pay me out.
Hi Margaret, thanks for getting in touch. We're sorry to hear of your frustrating experience and we'd like the opportunity to look into this for you. Can you please private message us your contact details, as well as your claim number and we'll have someone contact you?

How about when a person initially calls about lodging a claim, they be supplied with some sort of form, or information as to what they need to send to make the claim. I sent everything that I was told on the phone. I spent a lot of time organising and making sure I had everything that I was told was required. I spent many, many hours, hoping to make it as quick and easy as possible for the claim to be assessed and finalised. I waited the five business days I was informed that it would be reviewed within. Another two business days later, I received an email asking for additional documents. I was told that these are what is required for the type of claim I was making. Why could I have been given this information, by way of some standardised form, if this is the standardised method? Why was I informed of what was NOT covered by my insurance following the review of what I had sent? Particularly when I had made no claim for any of the NOT COVERED items listed. I sent photos, as requested, to demonstrate my claim, only to be told that they may not be valid evidence. It's pretty offensive to be told this. I now have a response starting the 5 business day cycle again. How about trying t make it easier, rather than as difficult as possible Coles?
Hi susierobbo, thanks for bringing this to our attention. We're sorry to hear of your poor experience with our service and we'll be sure to share your disappointment with our team. Could you please PM us your full name, contact number and policy number, so we're able to arrange for our Customer Care team to look into this for you?

Coles Car Insurance
CategoryRoadside Assistance and Car Insurance
Contact Number 1300 265 374
Other Insurance Types Offered Home and Contents and Landlord
Coverage OfferedComprehensive, Third Party Property Damage and Third Party, Fire and Theft
Roadside Assistance OfferedYes