Coles Car Insurance
1.5 from 1,339 reviews

Couldn't have been more helpful

The policy is good value and I expected claiming to be a painful process. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was. I didn't get a choice of repairer but that was because I didn't insure for that. Their repairer was amazing and I would use them again. The claim was resolved and the car fixed within a week. I would definitely use Coles again.

Plan covers drivers under 25No
Car ModelVolkswagen Golf Mk.7 (2013-2017)
Claim Made:Yes
Claim Resolution Time<1 week
Claim DateFebruary 2019
Claim ApprovedYes
Hi Jennifer, thanks for sharing this with us. We're glad to hear of your fantastic experience and we'll be sure to pass this onto our teams. :)

Almost a scam

Very difficult to deal with and at the end I gave up and went to my own repairer and cancelled the policy (I still haven't received the money back for the remaining time of unused policy). In total I spent 4 hours on the phone and I don't want to be rude (being myself a non-native English speaker) but it would be better to have someone on the other line that lives in Australia. The guy over the phone told me to take the car to a repairer 800km away.
Then they allocated a repairer but he told me to go somewhere else because he was too busy.
Basically the whole process was a real pain... never again and I will also cancel any other Coles product and start shopping at Woolworths.

Pathetic and rude

Renewal price way more expensive. Online quote with them came back cheaper but they would not match their own price?? Woman rang back was rude and hung up on me mid sentence. Then I received a revised quote via email that was more expensive than the original renewal price! I contacted woolworths and with one click they beat my last years coles insurance price by $10 a month! I am sold. Will not use Coles again.

Terrible
Terrible
Car ModelMitsubishi ASX
Claim Made:No
Book AgainNo
Hi NDine, thanks for taking the time to share this with us and we're sorry to see you go. We'll ensure your feedback is passed on to the relevant teams and we hope you'll give us another chance in the future.

Absolutely Incompetent

My car insurance came around for renewal so I decided to ring Coles and let them know that I had received a speeding ticket within the last twelve months (a single demerit point offence in NSW). Trying to update my driving record turned out to be a major mistake. They then informed me that they would be cancelling the policy as the underwriter would not accept any speeding infringements. I said if that’s the case you’ll probably end up with no customers left in Australia as most people have lost at least a few points over the previous 5 years. The Coles call centre is based in Durban, South Africa so the staff there seem to be really ignorant of Australian drivers licensing regulations. 24 hours later they rang me to explain that my policy was still valid and that they wrongly thought my drivers licence had been suspended. This is a probably a good example of why it is best to pay a bit more and deal with insurance companies with call centres in Australia.

Bad
Bad
Insurance TypeComprehensive
Car ModelSubaru Forester
Hi Twinkletoes, thanks for taking the time to contact us and we're sorry to hear of the difficulty you had with your renewal. We expect a high level of friendly and professional customer service from all of our Team and we'll ensure your feedback is passed on to the relevant teams. We hope you notice an improvement moving forward.

Terrible customer service, no communication and incorrect information

Cannot explain how bad Coles is. Their strategy is obviously to avoid you until you give up. I was given incorrect advice which cost me out of pocket expenses which they then reneged on. They encourage you to email them rather than call but then never respond - ever.

I literally made 30 phone calls and sent multiple emails to chase up my claims and incorrect advice I was given. I was basically told tough after they admitted I was given incorrect advice to purchase something out of my own pocket that I was assured would be reimbursed and was hung up on repeatedly after waiting for half an hour to speak to someone.

Did not encounter one nice person there - all rude and unhelpful.Not worth your time or effort. it ended up costing me a ridiculous amount of time and a claim that wasn’t my fault ended up costing me money due to incorrect advice.

Avoid at all costs !!!

Terrible Customer Service

I stayed with Coles car insurance for the past three years and each year they increased the premium even I had no claims at all. This year when they increased it I called them to seek advice why it keep increasing, after a long conversation of confirming my details and the card number (which the agent got wrong for several times) she couldn't offer me something better so I told her to renew my policy with the same amount they offered. Today I receive another document (within 2 days) with another premium increase! I called them again and after long wait on the phone same process of confirmation happened and then they put me back on hold. She got back and then put me on hold once again! It got to such a frustrating point that I am thinking of cancelling my policy with them and seek a more reliable provider. This is not a professionals service and they have no right to do business like this in Australia.
UPDATE: I have already found a better deal with a higher ranked provider. Will never go back to Coles insurance in future.

Insurance claim madeNo
We're disappointed to learn of your poor experience with your insurance quote. We'll ensure your feedback is brought to the attention of our teams for their consideration.

Crappy car insurance

Heard about the insurance from friends, so decided to try it this year. An old lady hit the side of my car and I made a claim with Coles Insurance. Called up more than 5 times to track down the claim and handed in the form and everything including details of how she hit my car and pictures of the road, paths of both cars, damages of car.... Ended up as my fault and payed $1050 excess fee. Do they know common logic? Do they actually investigate what happened at the incident? Please don’t make the same mistake as I did. It’s a crappy insurance.

Insurance claim madeYes
We're sorry to hear you had a poor experience with your insurance claim. We'll ensure your feedback is brought to the attention of our teams.

Rubbish service and extremely difficult to lodge a claim

I would give zero stars if I could based on Coles Insurance's current level of service.

We've had had Coles Insurance for more than six years. We started with one car, had a no-fault claim (other person's fault) within 18 months of buying it new and that ran smoothly. We added home and contents insurance on that track record.

Move forward four years and it is the opposite level of service. It took four attempts and one month to lodge the claim with Coles. In the first instance, they said they were too busy and to call back the next day. After calling back the next day, they said they were too busy, took a phone number and said they'll call back. They never did. When the claim was finally lodged (after they took a call), the person hung up before providing the claim number so we had to call back again to get the number.

To add salt into the wound, Coles claim that it was my other half's fault when driving straight in the kerb lane on a two-lane road then someone came into her lane without indicating and hit the front right corner of the car.

We have three houses and one car with Coles. It will be one car and nothing else after today then zero once the car claim is sorted out.

The other car is with Allianz. It was the polar opposite level of service with Allianz last year. They organised everything and you got someone who could understand you (i.e. local call centre) with very little waiting time on the phone. It was no stress and a great level of service. Coles Insurance is for those who don't care about the level of customer service they receive.

I suggest thinking long and hard about the level of customer service you want to receive when you unfortunately have to deal with the insurance company. I would not recommend Coles Insurance. They are not all the same and a little higher premium is worthwhile paying when it comes to finding out exactly what you're getting for your money.

Insurance claim madeYes
Thanks for your review. We're disappointed to hear your feedback. Please send us a private message with your claim number, date of birth and best contact number and we'll ask a senior member of our team to look into this further.Why? Your standard method of operation is poor. Why would I bother to give you another chance when there’s others out there who provide a much better level of service within 5% of your premium? It’s too late.

Unfair - why bother having insurance

Whilst leaving my local Woolworths, I had fully reversed out and was ready to depart when a person in a vehicle opposite me and to my left decides to reverse out. The said person never once attempted to twist their head left or right to check for other cars. I kept sounding my horn but too late and they folded my front passenger door in. Unbelievably they get out and tell me they didn’t see me and it wasn’t their fault. After swapping details, I had a young lady come up to me and say she saw the whole thing, that the other person was clearly in the wrong and then proceeded to give me her name and mobile number and said she was more than happy to be a witness. These details were forwarded on by me to Coles insurance when I got home to begin making a claim. The rep from Coles was so quick to tell me that this matter is classed as “equal liability” and that I would have to pay my excess to get my car repaired and the other vehicle would pay for theirs. I told the gent that I had a witness to the whole thing and he said it doesn’t matter. So I have to stump up $800 of my hard earned in excess for an accident that is 100% not my fault - what am I paying insurance for? I then asked him if this would now affect my full no claim bonus that I came across to Coles with from another insurer. He tells me to wait then comes back and says I don’t have any no claim bonus. I said what are you talking about. I have 70% maximum no claim bonus when I came across to Coles. He makes me wait again and tells me the no claim bonus was removed by Coles in June of 2018. I said your kidding. I didn’t get anything in writing about that. Is Coles even legally allowed to do that. And now what if I want to take my business elsewhere - am I expected to start all over again building up my no claim bonus? No way! My driving record has been excellent and I am being punished for it. Is there any other coles customers who have also been told they have lost their no claim bonus? This may very well become a class action against this company. No way in the world can they just remove a persons no claim bonus which took years to build up at their own say so. This warrants further investigation by the appropriate third party who will mediate on behalf of the customer. If there are other customers reading this and have been told the same thing, please voice it here and amongst all your friends and family to commence seeing what needs to be done. This ladies and gentlemen is a demonstration of how a business sends itself broke and then wonders why.

Claim

I have been with Coles car insurance for 6 years, very fast for them to take your money but when a legitimate claim even after approved will prolong by trying to disprove it so they don’t pay you out. 3 assessments stating in your favour but that’s not good enough for them they have to try and conspiracy theory why not to pay you out.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Bubblez, thanks for getting. We're disappointed to hear of your experience. So we can follow this up, can you please send us a private message and let us know your full name, contact number and claim/policy number?

14 months and counting

I was with Coles for several years, when I finally got hit by another car (myself standing beside my vehicle) I have been treated like I was at fault. At first I had to pay the 800$ or they wouldn't fix my car. Zero cents compensation or injury payment. To top it off 3 yr old triton has been repaired 3 times, twice by RPM in Mitchel ACT, then by Craig Hall bodyworks in Woden. All 3 repairs let parts falling off my car, no im not joking, the front grill, inside the side mirror, headlight, roof runner, at the first 2 repairs I was denied a loan car, 3rd time I was offered a tiny little rav4 to replace a triton with canopy...Through the process I am dealing with NRMAs staff and assessors who are coincidently also representing the person who hit me. Run for the hills with this mob, a rotten bunch of dogs on their best day! After almost 1 year of NRMA staff pretending to be working for Coles they told me it wasn't my fault and returned my excess after I told them that according to their policy I can drive about Canberra and run over anyone standing beside their car....Finally I should add after 3 failed attempts to repair my ute [name removed] from NRMA is pretending to work for Coles to resolve this. He has assigned a "specialist" to repair my vehicle at my choice of repairer, the problem is NOBODY with touch a vehicle screwed up 3 times. Useless people.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Paul, thanks for taking the time to get in touch. We're sorry to hear you had a poor experience and we'd like to follow this up. Can you please send us a private message with your full name, contact number and claim/policy number?

Disgusting customer service

My husband had his locked car stolen on Sunday morning at 6.00am from our carport. On our comprehensive policy with Coles it states under the heading Hire Car after theft and I quote " If your car is stolen and you need a replacement car,we will arrange and pay the cost of renting a similar car from the date of the theft up to the earliest of the following times: *when your car is recovered damaged and any damage to it is repaired or, *when we settle your claim; or 14 days after you first rent the replacement car"

Not true Coles. We reported it stolen to the police within 2 minutes of it being driven down our driveway. Reported it to Coles in the AM. Was grilled for over 2 hours on the phone and asked to repeat our statement more than once. Was told you cant get a hire car today because they are closed!!! Ring tomorrow. Rang today another run around for about 30 minutes and was told you cant have a hire car until we approve your claim!! This is not the end Coles but your customer service is nil. Do not insure with these crooks!!

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Vida, thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us. We're sorry to hear you had a poor experience with our Customer Care Team. If you could send us a private message with your full name, contact number and policy number, we'd like to have this followed up.

Avoid like the plague

My daughter is currently trying to deal with this company (mob of crooks) and the service is appalling, stalling tactics, misinformation etc etc will post more info when sorted as they get to monitor this page. May likely go through ombudsman or legal channels.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Pakk, thanks for taking the time to get in touch. We're sorry to hear your daughter had a poor experience with our Customer Care Team. Could you please have your daughter send us a private message, we'd like to have this followed up.

Accident claims

I had a terrible experience when we made a claim for an accident (not at fault). It took at least 20 or so calls over a month to get a status on our car but found out they didn't include the correct rego number to the assessment centre. Each phone call was a 40+ min wait with extremely poor service. We are definitely changing after this issue is fixed.

Insurance claim madeYes

Unexplained unreasonable price inflation each year

I have been with Coles for two years and was going into my third year. In year two, the price for the same service doubled inspite of no claims and a clean license. This year, the price has more than doubled after changing my address to a safer suburb than my previous address. The car is now less likely to be damaged or stolen yet the price has more than doubled. The competition against Coles has now considerably increased and I would not waste my money on a budget insurer who isn’t competitive against better known insurers.

Insurance claim madeNo
Hi Kih, thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us. We're sorry to hear you had a poor experience with our Customer Care Team. If you could send us a private message with your full name, contact number and policy number, we'd like to have this followed up.Hi Coles representative. I sent a private message to Coles BEFORE filling out this public product review. I filled out this public review after receiving no response from Coles for over a week now.

Let us down with thier affliliation with J P Flynn.

We have been with Coles Insurance for a while now, we have had pretty good customer service, we were taken care of promptly when we had a house fire. But unfortunately Coles has let us down with J P Flynn Builders working on the repairs to our home, We had a well build, beautiful home before the fire, and now walking through our home brings a tear to my eyes, poor workmanship, doggy defect work done, every where from the guttering outside to broken locks inside, there is terrible paint work, uneven ceilings, electricals are continuously switching off and now we have cabinetry in the kitchen that has dropped and is separating from the wall, there's a large crack on the wall by the fridge, I'm scared it will collapse on someone. We have called J P Flynn to have these issues repaired, but the JP Flynn Site Manager just won't get back to us, I'm going to seek legal advice about this issue. Dear Coles, get rid of that builder, they are letting you down.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us. We're sorry to hear you had a poor experience. If you could send us a private message with your full name, contact number and policy/claim number, we'd like to have this followed up.

My repair

Not happy Coles iv numerous home and car policy’s I had damage to my boot due to an accident it repaired when we got it back struts were still damaged they refused to fix them say it wasn’t done in accident which it was my car is still under manufactured warranty if we had a problem we would have had them repaired for nil cost I will be going elsewhere for insurance very disappointed not the service we expected penny pinching ☹️

Insurance claim madeYes

Very poor service and do not act on the facts.

Had a claim , despite photos/emails and phone calls identifying the other party was possible making a fraudulent claim Coles insurance persisted with me taking the blame . Eventually after much stress and threats to go to insurance and legal intervention they investigated properly to find the claim by the other party was fraudulent.

If I could rate them zero I would

Coles Insurance took 7.5 months to settle my claim. During those 7.5 months I emailed for updates constantly (emails were ignored) and most phone calls that I made I was told that they were 'still investigating liability'. This went on and on for about 5 months until I finally made a written complaint to Coles Insurance - 9 days after that, they wrote to me and claimed that I was in the clear and entitled to a payment. I thought that was great news... until they started doing the same thing again, dragging their feet over and over and passing me around without actually resolving my claim.

How I managed to settle everything was to make a complaint to the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA). Making a complaint doesn't cost you anything and they will assist in chasing up Coles Insurance so they will actually, finally respond to you instead of ignoring your emails and giving you the go-around during phone calls. After 7.5 months from time of making a claim, I was finally compensated. Needless to say, I am terribly unimpressed with Coles Insurance and their performance, and will never recommend them to anyone. Yes, they are cheap, but the service is non-existent. You are paying for NOTHING if you go with them. Find another insurance company; your time and peace of mind is worth more than what Coles Insurance can offer.

tl;dr

How to get Coles Insurance to actually respond to you instead of fobbing you off constantly:

Write an official complaint to them. Send it through email (colesclaims@iag.com.au) to ensure that you have it on written record. On that note, I highly suggest using email as the main form of communication so you have their statements 'on paper' as it is, however do note that they will avoid email at all costs so you cannot hold them accountable for their words.

If Coles Insurance does not respond in a satisfactory manner after your complaint, take it to the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA). This is a FREE service that can help in investigating whether Coles Insurance is actually working on your claim (especially helpful if you have been waiting an unreasonably long time for them to contact you). I cannot stress this enough. Use the AFCA to your benefit!

Good luck to everyone who is still dealing with them or anyone who will have to deal with them in the future. I ended up going with another insurance provider even though the costs were almost double what Coles Insurance quoted. Never again will I return to this shameful, unprofessional company.

Insurance claim madeYes

It is not professional service.

I don't recommend Coles Car insurance company.
Some of staffs are rude and difficult to understand and also processing is very very slow.
I advise they need to look at their whole operating system again otherwise they will lose their clients gradually.