Coles Car Insurance
1.5 from 1,349 reviews

Do not use this useless company

According to Coles Insurance, there is only ONE supplier in the whole of Canberra who can repair hail damage. Because Canberra is such a Podunk little backwater, right? And all you get from Coles customer service is weasel words like "they are not on our list", "this is not on our system" and "that is the policy you chose". So we are forced to use their sole preferred supplier who is going to take FOUR WEEKS to fix it. Coles says it takes four weeks because they use precision machinery to individually repair every bump. Which is rubbish, because I have spoken to the repairer, who told me they are REPLACING the roof and the bonnet, so why would they spend four weeks repairing panels that are going to be replaced???? Not good enough. In the meantime, I have a panel beater locally who can fix it, but I can't use him because he is "not their list". Do not use this insurance company.

Plan covers drivers under 25No
Car ModelSuzuki Grand Vitara - JT (2009-2015)
Claim DateDecember 2018

Awful customer service

If I could give a negative score, I would. Absolute time wasting. Could have rejected my claim from the beginning but took six months to reject it. Then on top of that proceeded to continue taking my money to “process” the claim. Had to keep calling them to follow up - clearly don’t care about customers.
Took my time and money for a whole lot of nothing and I was pocket for the entire thing!!
Six months of insurance and then had to pay for the repair of my car. Would NEVER recommend to anyone. I would recommend them to NOT USE THEM, EVER!

Definitely use another company. The fact that you have to follow them up constantly is ridiculous. Sometimes weeks would go by and would hear nothing.
I tried cancelling the service three times and they even failed to do it the first two times, so goes to show what kind of business they run.

Claim DateMarch 2018
Claim ApprovedNo

Held to Ransom

My car was damaged in the Sydney December hail storm and due to the amount of cars damaged won’t be repaired until October. My insurance is due and the cost went up $200 from last year so the market value goes down but premium goes up. I can’t sell or trade my car in until it’s fixed I can’t change insurance companies because it has hail damage. If it was repaired straight away I would not complain but ten months to wait that’s almost a year. We spend around $300 in a weekly shop at coles now we will use Woolworths had enough. So if you need insurance look elsewhere.

Car ModelHolden Cruze
Claim ApprovedYes
Hi Cliff thanks for contacting us. We're sorry to hear of your disappointing experience. To follow this up further, we'd recommend getting in touch with our Customer Care Team on 1300 265 374.To late for that it was due yesterday so had to pay because I cannot get insurance anywhere else while it has hail damage. However it will be the last time

very terrible experience

On last Monday, I sent my car to repair, they told me to pick up my car on Friday. However, on Friday, they sent me text message to inform the delay. And today(4 days after) they sent me another text message to inform another delay. I spent a lot on money to take taxi because their delay time to time! They took 2 weeks to repair a only small scratch. I could not believe that Coles Insurance is terrible like this. I called them, and they only apologize and said they could not do anything, same with the car repair provider. So disappointed, will not renew the insurance with them anymore!!!

Claim MadeYes
Hi Cathy, thanks for getting in touch with us. We're sorry to hear of your disappointing experience with us and we'll ensure your feedback is shared with the relevant teams to review.I could not believe that my car is still sitting in the car workshop until today! They did not repair my car properly!!!

Coles will steal your money

This company is terrible don't bother using them. My car got written off on the second last day of my policy Coles proceeded to take another years premium out of our account and are now refusing to refund this money, luckily they sent a letter confirming that the policy was cancelled before the new year policy started so I will be submitting a complaint with the insurance ombudsman. The process of making a claim was also the worst I've ever had to deal with Coles never contacts you when they say they will, things that should take only a couple of days end up taking months. Would never insure with Coles again.

Claim DateJanuary 2019
Hi Alex, thanks for getting in touch with us. We're disappointed to hear of your poor experience with our service and we'll ensure your feedback is shared with our teams to review.

Ripping you off!!!

No value for money. When questioned why my premium was over $1000 a year more expensive than what other insurance companies quoted they came back “because you’re under 25”. Yet other insurers can be competitive with premiums even with drivers under the age of 25. Coles car insurance doesn’t even come close to competing with other insurance companies.

Plan covers drivers under 25Yes
Claim MadeNo
Hi Ashley, thanks for getting in touch with us. We're sorry to hear of your disappointment as we can advise that we regularly review the premiums our customers pay to ensure they reflect the rising cost of insuring your car. If you’d like to understand more about how car insurance prices are calculated, please visit: www.coles.com.au/insurance-prices-explained

Warning Do not insure your vehicle with Coles

I have had the worst experience with this company whilst getting my car repaired for a not at fault accident. NO communication, did not call me once, and at one stage they lost my vehicle and couldn't tell me where it was at. Took them four weeks to start the repairs. Hopeless. Then they ended up taking my car out to a repairer right out west, when I live in inner city and accident happened inner city, then they refused to give me a taxi voucher to pick my car up.

Car ModelToyota Yaris
Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim ApprovedYes
Hi J.B., thanks for contacting us. We're sorry to hear of your disappointing experience and we'd like to have this followed up. Can you please send us a private message confirming your full name, policy number and best contact number?

Worst insurer available

Cheap but you get what you pay for
Extremely limited options for repairers
All off shore for dealing with claims
4 weeks no contact no payout
Excess doesn’t cover anything

Plan covers drivers under 25No
Car ModelVolkswagen Jetta Mk.5 (2006-2011)
Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim ApprovedYes
Hi, thanks for getting in touch. We're sorry to hear of your disappointment the services offered and we'll pass your feedback onto the relevant teams.Irrelevant Second poor review with no actual outcome. Joke of a company

Coles are avoiding me.

I have rang Coles car insurance twice with the aim of starting a policy. I got a quote and was told they would call me back the next day as I there were still some details that were pending. Nothing. So I called 2 days later and they refused to discuss my quote until I provided the reference number I was given earlier (it was on a piece of paper at home) - they said they would call back in 15 minutes... 3 days later still waiting. What is going on? They obviously like to avoid their customers.

Claim MadeNo
Hi Sarah, thanks for getting in touch with us. We're sorry to hear of the difficulty you've been having with contacting our team. We'd like to have this followed up, can you please send us a private message confirming your full name and best contact number?

Couldn't have been more helpful

The policy is good value and I expected claiming to be a painful process. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was. I didn't get a choice of repairer but that was because I didn't insure for that. Their repairer was amazing and I would use them again. The claim was resolved and the car fixed within a week. I would definitely use Coles again.

Plan covers drivers under 25No
Car ModelVolkswagen Golf Mk.7 (2013-2017)
Claim Resolution Time<1 week
Claim DateFebruary 2019
Claim ApprovedYes
Hi Jennifer, thanks for sharing this with us. We're glad to hear of your fantastic experience and we'll be sure to pass this onto our teams. :)

Almost a scam

Very difficult to deal with and at the end I gave up and went to my own repairer and cancelled the policy (I still haven't received the money back for the remaining time of unused policy). In total I spent 4 hours on the phone and I don't want to be rude (being myself a non-native English speaker) but it would be better to have someone on the other line that lives in Australia. The guy over the phone told me to take the car to a repairer 800km away.
Then they allocated a repairer but he told me to go somewhere else because he was too busy.
Basically the whole process was a real pain... never again and I will also cancel any other Coles product and start shopping at Woolworths.

Pathetic and rude

Renewal price way more expensive. Online quote with them came back cheaper but they would not match their own price?? Woman rang back was rude and hung up on me mid sentence. Then I received a revised quote via email that was more expensive than the original renewal price! I contacted woolworths and with one click they beat my last years coles insurance price by $10 a month! I am sold. Will not use Coles again.

Car ModelMitsubishi ASX
Claim MadeNo
Hi NDine, thanks for taking the time to share this with us and we're sorry to see you go. We'll ensure your feedback is passed on to the relevant teams and we hope you'll give us another chance in the future.

Absolutely Incompetent

My car insurance came around for renewal so I decided to ring Coles and let them know that I had received a speeding ticket within the last twelve months (a single demerit point offence in NSW). Trying to update my driving record turned out to be a major mistake. They then informed me that they would be cancelling the policy as the underwriter would not accept any speeding infringements. I said if that’s the case you’ll probably end up with no customers left in Australia as most people have lost at least a few points over the previous 5 years. The Coles call centre is based in Durban, South Africa so the staff there seem to be really ignorant of Australian drivers licensing regulations. 24 hours later they rang me to explain that my policy was still valid and that they wrongly thought my drivers licence had been suspended. This is a probably a good example of why it is best to pay a bit more and deal with insurance companies with call centres in Australia.

Car ModelSubaru Forester
Hi Twinkletoes, thanks for taking the time to contact us and we're sorry to hear of the difficulty you had with your renewal. We expect a high level of friendly and professional customer service from all of our Team and we'll ensure your feedback is passed on to the relevant teams. We hope you notice an improvement moving forward.

Terrible customer service, no communication and incorrect information

Cannot explain how bad Coles is. Their strategy is obviously to avoid you until you give up. I was given incorrect advice which cost me out of pocket expenses which they then reneged on. They encourage you to email them rather than call but then never respond - ever.

I literally made 30 phone calls and sent multiple emails to chase up my claims and incorrect advice I was given. I was basically told tough after they admitted I was given incorrect advice to purchase something out of my own pocket that I was assured would be reimbursed and was hung up on repeatedly after waiting for half an hour to speak to someone.

Did not encounter one nice person there - all rude and unhelpful.Not worth your time or effort. it ended up costing me a ridiculous amount of time and a claim that wasn’t my fault ended up costing me money due to incorrect advice.

Avoid at all costs !!!

Terrible Customer Service

I stayed with Coles car insurance for the past three years and each year they increased the premium even I had no claims at all. This year when they increased it I called them to seek advice why it keep increasing, after a long conversation of confirming my details and the card number (which the agent got wrong for several times) she couldn't offer me something better so I told her to renew my policy with the same amount they offered. Today I receive another document (within 2 days) with another premium increase! I called them again and after long wait on the phone same process of confirmation happened and then they put me back on hold. She got back and then put me on hold once again! It got to such a frustrating point that I am thinking of cancelling my policy with them and seek a more reliable provider. This is not a professionals service and they have no right to do business like this in Australia.
UPDATE: I have already found a better deal with a higher ranked provider. Will never go back to Coles insurance in future.

Insurance claim madeNo
We're disappointed to learn of your poor experience with your insurance quote. We'll ensure your feedback is brought to the attention of our teams for their consideration.

Crappy car insurance

Heard about the insurance from friends, so decided to try it this year. An old lady hit the side of my car and I made a claim with Coles Insurance. Called up more than 5 times to track down the claim and handed in the form and everything including details of how she hit my car and pictures of the road, paths of both cars, damages of car.... Ended up as my fault and payed $1050 excess fee. Do they know common logic? Do they actually investigate what happened at the incident? Please don’t make the same mistake as I did. It’s a crappy insurance.

Insurance claim madeYes
We're sorry to hear you had a poor experience with your insurance claim. We'll ensure your feedback is brought to the attention of our teams.

Rubbish service and extremely difficult to lodge a claim

I would give zero stars if I could based on Coles Insurance's current level of service.

We've had had Coles Insurance for more than six years. We started with one car, had a no-fault claim (other person's fault) within 18 months of buying it new and that ran smoothly. We added home and contents insurance on that track record.

Move forward four years and it is the opposite level of service. It took four attempts and one month to lodge the claim with Coles. In the first instance, they said they were too busy and to call back the next day. After calling back the next day, they said they were too busy, took a phone number and said they'll call back. They never did. When the claim was finally lodged (after they took a call), the person hung up before providing the claim number so we had to call back again to get the number.

To add salt into the wound, Coles claim that it was my other half's fault when driving straight in the kerb lane on a two-lane road then someone came into her lane without indicating and hit the front right corner of the car.

We have three houses and one car with Coles. It will be one car and nothing else after today then zero once the car claim is sorted out.

The other car is with Allianz. It was the polar opposite level of service with Allianz last year. They organised everything and you got someone who could understand you (i.e. local call centre) with very little waiting time on the phone. It was no stress and a great level of service. Coles Insurance is for those who don't care about the level of customer service they receive.

I suggest thinking long and hard about the level of customer service you want to receive when you unfortunately have to deal with the insurance company. I would not recommend Coles Insurance. They are not all the same and a little higher premium is worthwhile paying when it comes to finding out exactly what you're getting for your money.

Insurance claim madeYes
Thanks for your review. We're disappointed to hear your feedback. Please send us a private message with your claim number, date of birth and best contact number and we'll ask a senior member of our team to look into this further.Why? Your standard method of operation is poor. Why would I bother to give you another chance when there’s others out there who provide a much better level of service within 5% of your premium? It’s too late.

Unfair - why bother having insurance

Whilst leaving my local Woolworths, I had fully reversed out and was ready to depart when a person in a vehicle opposite me and to my left decides to reverse out. The said person never once attempted to twist their head left or right to check for other cars. I kept sounding my horn but too late and they folded my front passenger door in. Unbelievably they get out and tell me they didn’t see me and it wasn’t their fault. After swapping details, I had a young lady come up to me and say she saw the whole thing, that the other person was clearly in the wrong and then proceeded to give me her name and mobile number and said she was more than happy to be a witness. These details were forwarded on by me to Coles insurance when I got home to begin making a claim. The rep from Coles was so quick to tell me that this matter is classed as “equal liability” and that I would have to pay my excess to get my car repaired and the other vehicle would pay for theirs. I told the gent that I had a witness to the whole thing and he said it doesn’t matter. So I have to stump up $800 of my hard earned in excess for an accident that is 100% not my fault - what am I paying insurance for? I then asked him if this would now affect my full no claim bonus that I came across to Coles with from another insurer. He tells me to wait then comes back and says I don’t have any no claim bonus. I said what are you talking about. I have 70% maximum no claim bonus when I came across to Coles. He makes me wait again and tells me the no claim bonus was removed by Coles in June of 2018. I said your kidding. I didn’t get anything in writing about that. Is Coles even legally allowed to do that. And now what if I want to take my business elsewhere - am I expected to start all over again building up my no claim bonus? No way! My driving record has been excellent and I am being punished for it. Is there any other coles customers who have also been told they have lost their no claim bonus? This may very well become a class action against this company. No way in the world can they just remove a persons no claim bonus which took years to build up at their own say so. This warrants further investigation by the appropriate third party who will mediate on behalf of the customer. If there are other customers reading this and have been told the same thing, please voice it here and amongst all your friends and family to commence seeing what needs to be done. This ladies and gentlemen is a demonstration of how a business sends itself broke and then wonders why.

Claim

I have been with Coles car insurance for 6 years, very fast for them to take your money but when a legitimate claim even after approved will prolong by trying to disprove it so they don’t pay you out. 3 assessments stating in your favour but that’s not good enough for them they have to try and conspiracy theory why not to pay you out.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Bubblez, thanks for getting. We're disappointed to hear of your experience. So we can follow this up, can you please send us a private message and let us know your full name, contact number and claim/policy number?

14 months and counting

I was with Coles for several years, when I finally got hit by another car (myself standing beside my vehicle) I have been treated like I was at fault. At first I had to pay the 800$ or they wouldn't fix my car. Zero cents compensation or injury payment. To top it off 3 yr old triton has been repaired 3 times, twice by RPM in Mitchel ACT, then by Craig Hall bodyworks in Woden. All 3 repairs let parts falling off my car, no im not joking, the front grill, inside the side mirror, headlight, roof runner, at the first 2 repairs I was denied a loan car, 3rd time I was offered a tiny little rav4 to replace a triton with canopy...Through the process I am dealing with NRMAs staff and assessors who are coincidently also representing the person who hit me. Run for the hills with this mob, a rotten bunch of dogs on their best day! After almost 1 year of NRMA staff pretending to be working for Coles they told me it wasn't my fault and returned my excess after I told them that according to their policy I can drive about Canberra and run over anyone standing beside their car....Finally I should add after 3 failed attempts to repair my ute [name removed] from NRMA is pretending to work for Coles to resolve this. He has assigned a "specialist" to repair my vehicle at my choice of repairer, the problem is NOBODY with touch a vehicle screwed up 3 times. Useless people.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Paul, thanks for taking the time to get in touch. We're sorry to hear you had a poor experience and we'd like to follow this up. Can you please send us a private message with your full name, contact number and claim/policy number?