Columbus Direct
See the Best Travel Insurance in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Listing monitored by Columbus Direct

• Claim Resolution Time
    • <1 week (1)
    • 1-2 weeks (1)
    • 2-4 weeks (1)
    • 3+ months (1)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (0) · No (2)

Worst Customer Service - Seek Alternative Insurer

Dreadful customer service. Refusal to pay expenses incurred

Have used this company for a few years. No problems - until i had to make a claim after major holiday catastrophes. Then suddenly no one wanted to talk to you and only a fraction of the expenses have been paid. Claims process dragged on for months. Avoid this company at all cost.

Jom
JomSydney, NSW

Great customer service

I tried my luck to request for a refund as our trip didn't pushed thru due to covid-19. It wasn't stated on the policy but luckily, they issued a refund excluding irrecoverable administrative and promotional costs. Good thing I asked.

drivatruk
drivatrukGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

great way to avoid some car rental chaeges

price was competitive and the car rental excess of very good. it's better to get insurance than pay the 20+ dollars per day the,rental company wants to remove it. I would give 5 stars but haven't claimed as yet.

graemeandterri Brown
graemeandterri BrownFar North Queensland, QLD

Best Value by Far

We have had an annual policy for many years with Columbus, and even had a small claim which went through seamlessly, so of course when we wanted a policy to cover a 4 month holiday, Columbus was our first stop. Of course we checked others, but Columbus was the best by far.

Best Super Funds in 2020!

Wendy Z.7 Nov 2019
best-super-funds-in-2020

Best Credit Cards in 2020!

Wendy Z.19 Nov 2019
best-credit-cards-in-2020

What Is Peer-To-Peer Lending?

Nathan S.14 Nov 2019
what-is-peer-to-peer-lending
JJB
JJB

Excellent price & cover

Columbus Direct online site was easy to navigate and cost & coverage offered were very good. They cover pre-existing conditions (at an extra cost.. but necessary for us) & natural disasters. We have now changed from our 'regular' Travel Insurance Provider to Columbus Direct. Have not made any claims, but have had to call their Sydney office and they were very helpful, answered questions etc etc. .. and no long on-hold queue :-) Only downside was that it only operates Mon-Fri 9-5

Rusty
RustyGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

It was easy to navigate and Rate was reasonable compared to others I checked out. This is my second time to buy it but as yet have not made any claims. I am a Pensioner so price and pre-existing illnesses was a major factor for me. Hopefully I won’t need to claim but feel comfortable that they will cover any health issues that may arise while travelling.

Perfect for my needs

I like it for that fact its offered for non resident. Value for money. Easy to understand the policy. Took out twice and like the loyalty discount offered. Love it!!!

Kim Hopkins
Kim HopkinsPerth, WA

Very helpful staff

I have been a member now for 2 years but have yet to make a claim so not sure how good they are until that time.
The policy has everything I wanted with the usual restrictions as other policies.
So far so good
recommended but read the small print.

Garry B.
Garry B.

Essential for Travelling

Competitive pricing for a high level of coverage. Have had an annual premium policy for a number of years. Very simple process to arrange for a policy. Excellent customer service.

Debbie
Debbie

Easy and cost efficient

Easy to find cost of a single trip but will use again. only travel once a year but well worth the policy. hopefully won't have to claim on this policy next year.

David.
David.

We have just taken out annual insurance for the third year, this year we had a claim and it was handled as good as you could expect for an insurance company, if we are traveling through the year next year we will be taken out insurance with them again.

DestinationEurope, North America (inc. Hawaii) and South-East Asia (e.g. Bali, Vietnam, Thailand)
Julie D
Julie D

Haven’t used it but great value and coverage!

Good value by comparison and no claims. Bought it 3 times now over the last few years. Covers lots of different countries so can use it for multi trip and also for rental car insurance coverage to save money.

yancy m
yancy mGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Great value insurance

The policy is great value and we will be using Columbus again. A work colleague told me about this product. We will be referring Columbus to all our friends from now on.

Rhys
Rhys

Used it for years - I wouldn’t use any other company

I have used Columbus Direct Travel Insurance for years - both as an independent traveller and also now with my family of five. I recommend the company to everyone I know.

Read more reviews - page 2

Jenniwren
Jenniwrenasked
International Travel Insurance - Premier Plan (Annual Multi-Trip)

Is the cost of an annual multi travel insurance for a couple (husband and myself) or is it individual.

Hi Jenni,

The price displayed on our online quotes is the total price for the number of travellers entered. So when requesting a quote for 2 people, the price displayed is the total price for both.

It’s worth noting that our policy cover limits and excesses apply per person. For Annual Multi-trip policies each adult is considered separately insured, and so you don’t have to be on the same trip for cover to apply.

Casey (Customer Care)

Jennyasked
International Travel Insurance - Premier Plan (Annual Multi-Trip)

I have insured with you in the past. I am now 60yrs old with diabetes Type 1 and multiple sclerosis, with no admissions to hospital for more than 30 yrs. Can I still be covered if I wish to take out a policy?

Jenny

I have previously had a policy with you. Now I have reached 60yrs, with both Type 1 diabetes & MS am I able to purchase travel insurance? I have not been in hospital for more than 30yrs & am well.

Hi Jenny,

We are often able to cover pre-existing medical conditions. We use a quick and easy medical screening process to assess cover for each customer's conditions individually.

Our screening process can be completed online. If you would prefer to speak to someone, I'd be happy to arrange a call for you. I've sent you a message with my contact details.

Thanks,

Casey (Customer Care)

T C
T Casked
Columbus Direct

Does your travel insurance policy cover the age over 80 years old?

Columbus DirectColumbus Direct

Hi T C – thanks for your question. We can cover travellers up to and including the age of 84 on our single trip policies. Our Annual Multi-trip policies and some sports cover add-ons, however, are only available to those aged under 70. You can enter your trip details and travellers’ ages into our online quote engine at https://travel.columbusdirect.com.au to check what cover is available. Alternatively, feel free to give us a call on 1300 669 999 to discuss your situation with our customer care team in Sydney. We hope you find what you’re looking for!

Granda
Granda

Yes it does but charges extra $ because the customer is 80 yrs and older. They also have strict exclusions.

Get an answer from our members and Columbus Direct representatives

Compare all 6 Columbus Direct
CategoryTravel InsuranceTravel InsuranceTravel InsuranceTravel Insurance
UnderwriterLloyd'sLloyd'sLloyd'sLloyd's
Maximum Age Covered 84 years old84 years old84 years old84 years old
Medical Coverage
Overseas Emergency Assistance $25,000,000$25,000,000$25,000,000$25,000,000
Accidental Death$50,000 (included in Personal Accident Benefit)$50,000 (included in Personal Accident Benefit)$75,000 (included in Personal Accident Benefit)$75,000 (included in Personal Accident Benefit)
Emergency Dental$500$500$1,000$1,000
Pregnancy (max weeks) 26 weeks26 weeks26 weeks26 weeks
Resumption of Journey Not IncludedNot IncludedNot IncludedNot Included
Hospital Cash Allowance$3,000$3,000$6,000$6,000
Overseas Emergency Medical & Hospital Expenses$25,000,000$25,000,000$25,000,000$25,000,000
Loss of IncomeNot IncludedNot IncludedNot IncludedNot Included
Permanent Disability$50,000 (included in Personal Accident Benefit)$50,000 (included in Personal Accident Benefit)$75,000 (included in Personal Accident Benefit)$75,000 (included in Personal Accident Benefit)
Luggage & Personal Effects
Theft of Cash $250$250$500$500
Delayed Luggage $500 after 12 hours$500 after 12 hours$1,000 after 12 hours$1,000 after 12 hours
Credit Card FraudNot IncludedNot IncludedNot IncludedNot Included
Travel Documents / Passport $2,000$2,000$3,000$3,000
Maximum Single Item Limit $3,000 (computers, video recorders or cameras), $750 (single article/valuables)$3,000 (computers, video recorders or cameras), $750 (single article/valuables)$3,000 (computers, video recorders or cameras), $750 (single article/valuables)$3,000 (computers, video recorders or cameras), $750 (single article/valuables)
Luggage & Personal Effects $7,500$7,500$10,000$10,000
Ancillary
Personal Liability $2,500,000$2,500,000$5,000,000$5,000,000
Rental Vehicle Excess $4,000$4,000$5,000$5,000
Motorbike / Moped Coverage Included up to 125ccIncluded up to 125ccIncluded up to 125ccIncluded up to 125cc
Domestic Pet Care Not IncludedNot IncludedNot IncludedNot Included
Special Activities Packages
GolfIncludedIncludedIncludedIncluded
CruiseIncludedIncludedIncludedIncluded
Adventure Included and Optional ExtraIncluded and Optional ExtraIncluded and Optional ExtraIncluded and Optional Extra
Snow / SkiOptional ExtraOptional ExtraOptional ExtraOptional Extra