Commonwealth Bank Travel Insurance

See the Best Travel Insurance in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Google is considered a '3rd party provider' (so no compensation)

When I lost my flight ticket due to no fault of my own (the airline, WOW air, shut down overnight with no warning and no compensation for customers) I called the Commbank Insurance people. They told me that Google is considered a 3rd party provider, so they could not refund my ticket. They said this was written on page 46 of their booklet. This seems like a good way of getting out of paying insurance to customers. Nobody reads 46 pages of an insurance policy, let alone 1 page, and Google is probably the go-to provider for 9 out of 10 people, so to call it a 3rd party provider is not appropriate. They are the main provider. This is not reasonable. I'm disappointed with this insurance policy.

DestinationEurope
Type of ClaimTravel Delays/Cancellations
Claim DateAugust 2019
Claim ApprovedNo

Thankful for them..

It was easy to buy the insurance as it was online. I compared two quotes and they're the cheapest - I know two is not much but it is almost half cheaper than the previous travel insurance that I bought that I didn't think much about it.
I was hospitalised overseas and when I called them, they offered to call me back instead so I won't be spending money on mobile phone credits. The hospital that I was on didn't accept insurance so I have to fork out cash but it was the hospital that I chose, so it was on me. But the insurance offered to get me transferred to the best hospital in the country so I can get better care - comparable to Australian standards. I declined due to support and family reasons.
While I was at the hospital, they called to check up on me. I felt valued.
I was refunded on my claim within a week, without a fuss. I claimed for out-of-pocket expenses without receipt but with ample explanation and it too, was refunded.

Insurance Cover For:Adult and Child
DestinationSouth-East Asia (e.g. Bali, Vietnam, Thailand)
Type of ClaimMedical
Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Claim DateJuly 2019
Claim ApprovedYes

Never again CBA insurance!

Do not choose CBA Travel Insurance, It does not cover you properly, only cover your overseas medical assistance if it is fitt in the policy, but if you bring back any problems from overseas and it is cost you thousands of dollars after you back then they will not cover your expenses.
I will never use CBA Ti. again!
Also, the claim is horrible. It takes about 20 min to get someone to the phone to talk with.

DestinationEurope
Insurance TypeMulti-Trip
Claim MadeNo

'Free' but if you have to pay for expensive add-ons it's uncompetitive

I often ride motorcycles in Thailand. I can only get cover from this insurance if I pay extra and even then the cover is limited to small capacity motorcycles. I also rent cars occasionally and again I have to pay extra. So my 'free' cover is actually not free at all.
Plus I had major surgery a few years ago -- some travel insurance allows for this as a covered pre-existing medical condition, no problem, but Covermore wanted so much extra that it was better to buy a decent policy outright from another insurer.
I'm sure this policy works for some people some of the time, but for my purposes it doesn't represent value and it makes my Commbank platinum card even less of a proposition.
Plus as other posters have noted, you have to 'activate' this insurance – you receive only minimal cover if you don't.

Insurance Cover For:Senior
Claim MadeNo

Worst free travel insurance..Don't trust them

CBA provides free travel insurance for their credit card holders. Also, they sell travel insurance.
The problem is that their free credit card travel insurance has many loophole to avoid any payment.
All CBA group travel insurance is offered by Covermore.
If you read their PDS, you will find their PDS is very inferior. Their PDS said mobile phone, tablet, laptops and any small electronic devices are NOT personal goods.
Therefore their free travel insurance doesn't cover any small electronic device.
I thin their insurance is only insurance which doesn't cover any mobile phone and tablet in Australia.

But, their paid travel insurance is different. Their PDS said mobile phone is personal goods.
It's strange policy.

CBA must NOT promote their free travel insurance to sell their credit card products.
Their free insurance deceives the customer.

Type of ClaimLost/Stolen Property
Claim Resolution Time<1 week
Claim ApprovedNo

Their phone operators are a bit curt

I just had a call to the claims line and the operator seemed as though she couldn't wait to get me off the phone. They answered almost immediately (which is a positive), but almost seemed like they have an incentive to keep the call short!

Insurance Cover For:Adult
DestinationNorth America (inc. Hawaii)
Claim MadeNo

Very happy with free credit card insurance claim

I use the complimentary international travel insurance that comes with my credit card every time I travel. I put in for 2 claims this year for a bali trip that was cut short due to the earthquake. I found the process to be easy, great customer service and received full claim with no trouble and a speedy manner. Very impressed and will continue to use each time I travel.

Insurance claim madeYes

Speedy Resolution of Claim.

We cancelled our trip to Lombok after the earthquakes. We submitted a claim for our return air fares. We included letters from the airlines proving that we did not take the flights.
Two days after the submission, we received a call to advise us that our claim was succesful.
A further two days and the correct amount of fund was deposited in our account.
We are very happy with this travel insurance and will continue to use the product.

Very happy

Travelled to Austria last month and rented a car from Hertz for 3 weeks. Returned the car and Hertz representative gave me a receipt. On returning to Australia received an email saying they are charging us over 1200 euros for a couple of tiny scratches in the rear bumper. Do not know if they were there when we picked up car - they were so small we would not have noticed them if they were. Very annoyed with Hertz but they had my money.….
Rang Commbank insurance and spoke to their representative - she explained the claims process in simple terms and sent out the claims forms while I was talking to her on the phone. Filled out the details and within a day received an email saying the claim had been accepted and within a further day the entire amount minus a small excess was in our bank account. Extremely happy with the level of service from Commbank and with the ease of working with them.

Surprised

We needed to make a claim as a result of a kidney stone attack in Japan with my partner, we had had a previous attack in August 2017 and I was worried it could be considered as pre existing, but to our surprise it was fully paid. Was very happy

Insurance claim madeYes

Worst travel insurance ever!! Do not use

These guys claim you get travel insurance as part of your Credit Card. It's all a big con.. I had heard of insurance companies that find any excuse or clause not to pay you but hadn't experienced it until now. Both claims we had for flight delays and medical were declined for some random fineprint clauses they make up so they don't have to pay you.
Do NOT ever use these guys or assume your credit card insurance will cover you.

over 1 year to get my claim

I think inclusions wise they were good but I would never ever recommend this insurance to anyone. It was easy to set up and activate, inclusions are good but once the initial illness was over and we were back home their customer service left a lot to be desired. Such a long convoluted process to be able to both get my claim assessed and to finally (hopefully) obtain the money we paid over a year ago. We have had repeated requests for documents I had either already submitted online or emailed to them, requests for letters from airlines and our travel agent that neither had ever been asked for, once my phone rang in my hand and before I could answer it it stopped ringing and I then got a "sorry you were unavailable" email. But eventually we got our claim. So you get what you pay for basically, and be prepared to have to deal with repeated requests for information you have already supplied 3-4 times.

Insurance claim madeYes

Cover for Electronics lost while snowboarding

I have managed to lose backpack with my electronics gear in (phone, camera... etc) while snowboarding. I have made a call while overseas and started a claim. When I got back to Australia, I Have received the email with an online claim, where I had to add description and photos/receipts etc to support claim. Claim was approved within 10 working days period and paid out minus the excess. Everything went smooth and easy and the online claim, as well as being updated via the phone. Thanks CBA/Allianz.

Insurance claim madeYes

The initial contact with CBA travel insurance, was scant on detail of what they required for the cla

The policy was good value and was comprehensive. It was easily set up and verification documentation was prompt. The initial issue was the generic information sheet which was difficult to relate to my claim.
Once some specific requirements were advised the process improved to a suitable outcome.

Ineffective Support

After my wife had an accident that required urgent surgery, you guys wanted to fly us back when she was in no conditions for that. After finally agreeing to pay for the surgery, the hospital requested the payment of an initial fee which you denied. I end up having to pay for the surgery myself, over 10 grand, and only then I was reimbursed when back in Australia. After the accident I was in a period of much distress and although your team kept in touch I was disgusted with your attitude to want to fly us back to Australia and not pay for the surgery on the spot in that critical moment which we needed your support.

Took 3 months for medical reimbursement

I paid for my trip on Bankwest Platinum Card. Allianz were so sweet over the phone, rang me in Thailand on numerous occasions to find out how I was, each time feeling I was getting interrogated to find a loop hole in my story. I paid for the hospital and doctor's bill $5K. I came back to Australia and they kept asking me for information I had already given them whilst in hospital, then they realised they had set up to claims. All sorted - wrong - after sending the last bit of information I waited a further 3 weeks and rang up to find out what the hold up was, he said he didn't receive my express post information, I was furious as they hadn't touched my claim for 3 weeks! After hanging up they instantly rang back and said they found it and will proceed, then 7 days later they needed more information, I don't understand why they didn't look through the claim and send one email with ALL the paperwork they require. Finally after 3 months I received the money...useless!!!

Insurance claim madeYes

Don’t bother it’s not real insurance

Surely you would have thought by having a diamond MasterCard that you would get premium travel insurance...wrong, our flight was delayed by 10hrs which allso meant we lost our pre booked first nights accommodation. Made a claim and guess what.. wasn’t insured because they don’t cover delayed flights due to mechanical issues. Hahaha what a joke!!

Insurance claim madeYes

Looks good on the surface but watch out for the detail

The CBA offers international travel insurance IF you pay for all your travel with your CBA gold (or higher) credit card. That seems nice. However, please note, unless you go into your netbank and ACTIVATE the cover - there is a push button on the insurance page -, or call, or call into a branch to activate it, you only get the absolute MINIMUM cover. If you do either of the latter, take a note and/or send a confirmatory email.
Fortunately, we picked this nuance up, what I will call "sleight of hand" a few months later when browsing the page and got a bit of a shock when I realised we did not have automatic full cover. The base cover is REALLY basic.
As luck would have it, things went pear shaped just before our journey and we had to delay our trip, which, had I not taken that necessary activation step, would not have been covered.
Not good eh? Well, in my view and experience it seems that there is another layer of avoidance of responsibility by CBA and/or their underwriter, Allianz. On two occasions I was given incorrect information about who to contact by CBA staff in the insurance section. Rather unprofessional what? Then, to add insult to injury, Allianz refused the claim because, after two pages of standard legalese, they claimed that I had not activated the cover. This despite me providing ALL the information in writing to their assessor including a copy of the activation page. I could not help but get a very strong impression that their first response is : dis-allow the claim and let the claimant fight it! My case was cut and dried in terms of what the cover provided for.
Overall it is a good deal, if you activate it and you keep a copy of everything. Best advice, read everything, keep copies of everything and take notes of every conversation. I have names and dates of all these stages to cover me. Just watch your back!!!

Exceptional Free Product

I must make a delayed review regarding CBA/Allianze Travel Insurance to help balance the register of negative comments. We travelled to Italy last year - April/May. While away I had a health episode requiring medical attention forcing cancellation of prebooked activities and trips. Upon contacting the insurers to make a claim, I was amazed at the helpful supportive and timely manner in which my needs were met. All moneys were refunded without hesitation. I absolutely recommend this product!

DEBACLE - THIS IS A RORT! SHAME ON COMM BANK

We made the mistake of utilising this insurance . We activated it before travelling with our 2 young children overseas and due to a delayed flight missed the connecting flights back to Australia. After calling the insurance helpline that night - we found that it was manned by one person who had no idea about the travel insurance policies and could offer no assistance whatsoever unless it was a medical emergency. We then came home and put in a claim for the new tickets home - which were same price as the original tickets. After months of paperwork shuffling which we had to chase up from day one..I was informed by some teenage rep from allianz that our claim whilst "legitimate'our claim for those tickets would not be paid as the letter from the airline re the delay which we obtained was not clear enough about the cause for the delay. Apparently...it would have been fine if we were hi jacked (unlikely) We are now left to ask the Comm bank for assistance on the failed product we took out through them.
Their answer -take it up with your insurer Allianze/comm bank.
Allianz answer - take it up with the airline...
the airlines answer - we provided proof so take it up with the insurer.

What a joke. After years of handing money over for a mortgage and business account and insurance the one time we ask for assistance from this bank and they stonewall you. They don't even give a toss when you say you will move your accounts elsewhere. The customer support was patronising and abysmal. This bank is a joke and this insurance policy is an expensive joke. Do not rely on it and certainly don't trust that they will assist if you do and actually have to make a claim. They will pass the buck like nobody business...they cannot claim Can as their attitude.Its an inside joke to anyone who has dealt with the true nature of this institution.

Insurance claim madeYes

I have booked tickets to Thailand with my friends using my Gold credit card which has free travel insurance. I paid for the tickets for all four of us. Can all of us avail of the insurance or is it just me? Do I need to activate the insurance. If yes, how do i do that?
You probably should ask them, but most likely only you will be covered if you activate it on NetBank/combank. Also check what is covered, most likely minimal cover

I'm a diamond card holder. Does this insurance cover for cancellation of travel plans before departure - due to illness etc? Catherine

I will be renting 3 car rentals on my one trip, what am I covered for ?
Read their PDS very carefully. Their PDS is very inferior if it's credit card complementary insurance. It's different to their paid insurance.I seem to remember that I would have had to pay extra if I wanted car rental excess protection. I agree with the previous poster: read their PDS very carefully – and I would also look at insurance options other than this one.

Commonwealth Bank Travel Insurance - Credit / Debit Card Insurances (Gold Cards)Commonwealth Bank Travel Insurance - Credit / Debit Card Insurances (Platinum & Diamond Cards)Commonwealth Bank Travel Insurance - Credit / Debit Card Insurances (World Debit Mastercard)Commonwealth Bank Travel Insurance - Comprehensive Plan (Single Trip)Commonwealth Bank Travel Insurance - Comprehensive Plan (Annual Multi-Trip)Commonwealth Bank Travel Insurance - Essentials PlanCommonwealth Bank Travel Insurance - Medical Only PlanCommonwealth Bank Travel Insurance - Domestic Plan (Single Trip)Commonwealth Bank Travel Insurance - Domestic Plan (Annual Multi-Trip)
CategoryTravel InsuranceTravel InsuranceTravel InsuranceTravel InsuranceTravel InsuranceTravel InsuranceTravel InsuranceTravel InsuranceTravel Insurance
Contact Number 1300 467 9511300 467 9511300 467 9511300 467 9511300 467 9511300 467 9511300 467 9511300 467 9511300 467 951
24-Hour Phone Contact NoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNo
Online Live Chat NoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNo
Other Insurance Types Offered Car and Home and ContentsCar and Home and ContentsCar and Home and ContentsCar and Home and ContentsCar and Home and ContentsCar and Home and ContentsCar and Home and ContentsCar and Home and ContentsCar and Home and Contents
UnderwriterZurichZurichZurichZurichZurichZurichZurichZurichZurich
Maximum Age Covered 100 years old100 years old100 years old99 years old99 years old69 years old69 years old69 years old69 years old
Medical Coverage
Overseas Emergency Assistance UnlimitedUnlimitedUnlimitedUnlimitedUnlimitedUnlimitedUnlimitedNot IncludedNot Included
Accidental Death$25,000$50,000$25,000$25,000$25,000Not IncludedNot Included$10,000$10,000
Emergency Dental$1,500$1,500$1,500UnlimitedUnlimitedUnlimitedUnlimitedNot IncludedNot Included
Pregnancy (max weeks) 24 weeks24 weeks24 weeks24 weeks24 weeks24 weeks24 weeks24 weeks24 weeks
Resumption of Journey $5,000$5,000$5,000$3,000$3,000Not IncludedNot IncludedNot IncludedNot Included
Hospital Cash Allowance$75 per 24 hours up to $7,500$100 per 24 hours up to $10,000$75 per 24 hours up to $7,500$50 per day up to $5,000$50 per day up to $5,000Not IncludedNot IncludedNot IncludedNot Included
Overseas Emergency Medical & Hospital ExpensesUnlimitedUnlimitedUnlimitedUnlimitedUnlimitedUnlimitedUnlimitedNot IncludedNot Included
Loss of Income$7,500$7,500$7,500 (up to $750 per week for a maximum period of 3 months)$10,400$10,400Not IncludedNot Included$1,500$1,500
Permanent DisabilityNot IncludedNot IncludedNot Included$25,000$25,000Not IncludedNot Included
Luggage & Personal Effects
Theft of Cash $500 (combined with Credit Card and Travel Documents cover)$500 (combined with Credit Card and Travel Documents cover)$500 (combined with Credit Card and Travel Documents cover)$250$250Not IncludedNot IncludedNot IncludedNot Included
Delayed Luggage $500 after 12 hours$500 after 12 hours$500 after 12 hours$750$750 ($375 after 24 hours, total amount after 72 hours)Not IncludedNot Included$750$750
Credit Card Fraud$500 (combined with Travel Documents and Theft of Cash cover)$500 (combined with Travel Documents and Theft of Cash cover)$500 (combined with Travel Documents and Theft of Cash cover)$10,000$10,000 (combined with Travel Documents and Luggage & Personal Effects cover)$5,000 (combined with Travel Documents and Luggage & Personal Effects cover)Not Included$3,000 (combined with Travel Documents and Luggage & Personal Effects cover)$3,000 (combined with Travel Documents and Luggage & Personal Effects cover)
Travel Documents / Passport $500 (combined with Credit Card and Theft of Cash cover)$500 (combined with Credit Card and Theft of Cash cover)$500 (combined with Credit Card and Theft of Cash cover)$10,000$10,000 (combined with Credit Card and Luggage & Personal Effects cover)$5,000 (combined with Credit Card and Luggage & Personal Effects cover)Not Included$3,000 (combined with Credit Card and Luggage & Personal Effects cover)$3,000 (combined with Credit Card and Luggage & Personal Effects cover)
Maximum Single Item Limit $3,000$5,000$3,000$500$500$300Not Included$300$300
Luggage & Personal Effects $10,000$15,000$5,000$10,000$10,000$5,000 (combined with Credit Card and Travel Documents cover)Not Included$3,000$3,000
Ancillary
Personal Liability $2,500,000.00$2,500,000.00$2,500,000.00$2,500,000.00$2,500,000.00$1,500,000.00$2,500,000.00$200,000.00$200,000.00
Rental Vehicle Excess $2,250$2,250$2,250$6,000 plus up to an additional $3,500 as an optional extra$6,000 plus up to an additional $3,500 as an optional extraNot IncludedNot Included$4,000 plus up to an additional $3,500 as an optional extra$4,000 plus up to an additional $3,500 as an optional extra
Motorbike / Moped Coverage Included up to 50cc, optional between 51cc and 250ccIncluded up to 50cc, optional between 51cc and 250ccIncluded up to 50cc, optional between 51cc and 250ccOptional cover for unlimited engine capacitiesOptional cover for unlimited engine capacitiesOptional cover for unlimited engine capacitiesOptional cover for unlimited engine capacitiesNot IncludedNot Included
Domestic Pet Care Not IncludedNot IncludedNot IncludedNot IncludedNot IncludedNot IncludedNot IncludedNot IncludedNot Included
Special Activities Packages
GolfNot IncludedNot IncludedNot IncludedNot IncludedNot IncludedNot IncludedNot IncludedNot IncludedNot Included
CruiseOptional ExtraOptional ExtraOptional ExtraOptional ExtraOptional ExtraOptional ExtraOptional ExtraOptional ExtraOptional Extra
Adventure Optional ExtraOptional ExtraOptional ExtraOptional ExtraOptional ExtraOptional ExtraOptional ExtraIncludedIncluded
Snow / SkiOptional ExtraOptional ExtraOptional ExtraOptional ExtraOptional ExtraOptional ExtraOptional ExtraOptional ExtraOptional Extra