Commonwealth Bank Travel Insurance

Commonwealth Bank Travel Insurance

Credit / Debit Card Insurances, Comprehensive, Essentials, etc...

See the Best Travel Insurance in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

SteveMelbourne

Zero zero zero star...Don't use commbank's travel insurance "Covermore by Zurich Australia

Insurance Cover For:Adult and Teenager
DestinationSouth-East Asia (e.g. Bali, Vietnam, Thailand)
Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim DateSeptember 2019

Unhappy66AU

Absolutely Useless Policy

Phone was stolen with cash inside the wallet, whilst the phone on table with arm touching it. Provided evidence of the fact of the withdrawal amount as they requested this. Came back with a response stating that the cash must have been on my physically and denied cash aspect of claim.

The phone they only compensate for purchase price and not the rrp. Makes it difficult when the phone was a one off sale or a gift as they only give the purchase price. Never again!

Claim Resolution Time3+ months
Claim ApprovedNo

Google is considered a '3rd party provider' (so no compensation)

When I lost my flight ticket due to no fault of my own (the airline, WOW air, shut down overnight with no warning and no compensation for customers) I called the Commbank Insurance people. They told me that Google is considered a 3rd party provider, so they could not refund my ticket. They said this was written on page 46 of their booklet. This seems like a good way of getting out of paying insurance to customers. Nobody reads 46 pages of an insurance policy, let alone 1 page, and Google is probably the go-to provider for 9 out of 10 people, so to call it a 3rd party provider is not appropriate. They are the main provider. This is not reasonable. I'm disappointed with this insurance policy.

Type of ClaimTravel Delays/Cancellations
Claim DateAugust 2019
Erskie

ErskieBrisbane

Thankful for them..

Insurance Cover For:Adult and Child
DestinationSouth-East Asia (e.g. Bali, Vietnam, Thailand)
Type of ClaimMedical
Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Claim DateJuly 2019
Claim ApprovedYes

SteveMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Never again CBA insurance!

Do not choose CBA Travel Insurance, It does not cover you properly, only cover your overseas medical assistance if it is fitt in the policy, but if you bring back any problems from overseas and it is cost you thousands of dollars after you back then they will not cover your expenses.
I will never use CBA Ti. again!
Also, the claim is horrible. It takes about 20 min to get someone to the phone to talk with.

Insurance TypeMulti-Trip

Consumer 123

Consumer 123Melbourne

'Free' but if you have to pay for expensive add-ons it's uncompetitive

Insurance Cover For:Senior

MJ K

MJ KAdelaide

Worst free travel insurance..Don't trust them

Claim Resolution Time<1 week

Shaun

ShaunHobart, TAS

Their phone operators are a bit curt

I just had a call to the claims line and the operator seemed as though she couldn't wait to get me off the phone. They answered almost immediately (which is a positive), but almost seemed like they have an incentive to keep the call short!

Insurance Cover For:Adult
DestinationNorth America (inc. Hawaii)
Carly

CarlyPerth, WA

Very happy with free credit card insurance claim

I use the complimentary international travel insurance that comes with my credit card every time I travel. I put in for 2 claims this year for a bali trip that was cut short due to the earthquake. I found the process to be easy, great customer service and received full claim with no trouble and a speedy manner. Very impressed and will continue to use each time I travel.

Br00

Br00Sydney, NSW

Speedy Resolution of Claim.

We cancelled our trip to Lombok after the earthquakes. We submitted a claim for our return air fares. We included letters from the airlines proving that we did not take the flights.
Two days after the submission, we received a call to advise us that our claim was succesful.
A further two days and the correct amount of fund was deposited in our account.
We are very happy with this travel insurance and will continue to use the product.

Brian

BrianAdelaide

Very happy

Jeff

JeffMelbourne

Surprised

We needed to make a claim as a result of a kidney stone attack in Japan with my partner, we had had a previous attack in August 2017 and I was worried it could be considered as pre existing, but to our surprise it was fully paid. Was very happy

jezzamo

jezzamoBrisbane

Worst travel insurance ever!! Do not use

These guys claim you get travel insurance as part of your Credit Card. It's all a big con.. I had heard of insurance companies that find any excuse or clause not to pay you but hadn't experienced it until now. Both claims we had for flight delays and medical were declined for some random fineprint clauses they make up so they don't have to pay you.
Do NOT ever use these guys or assume your credit card insurance will cover you.

Deb

DebCanberra

over 1 year to get my claim

Joh Snow

Joh SnowSydney

Cover for Electronics lost while snowboarding

I have managed to lose backpack with my electronics gear in (phone, camera... etc) while snowboarding. I have made a call while overseas and started a claim. When I got back to Australia, I Have received the email with an online claim, where I had to add description and photos/receipts etc to support claim. Claim was approved within 10 working days period and paid out minus the excess. Everything went smooth and easy and the online claim, as well as being updated via the phone. Thanks CBA/Allianz.

Joe M

Joe MPerth

The initial contact with CBA travel insurance, was scant on detail of what they required for the cla

The policy was good value and was comprehensive. It was easily set up and verification documentation was prompt. The initial issue was the generic information sheet which was difficult to relate to my claim.
Once some specific requirements were advised the process improved to a suitable outcome.

Gus

GusMarsfield

Ineffective Support

After my wife had an accident that required urgent surgery, you guys wanted to fly us back when she was in no conditions for that. After finally agreeing to pay for the surgery, the hospital requested the payment of an initial fee which you denied. I end up having to pay for the surgery myself, over 10 grand, and only then I was reimbursed when back in Australia. After the accident I was in a period of much distress and although your team kept in touch I was disgusted with your attitude to want to fly us back to Australia and not pay for the surgery on the spot in that critical moment which we needed your support.

Took 3 months for medical reimbursement

Insurance claim madeYes

Don’t bother it’s not real insurance

Surely you would have thought by having a diamond MasterCard that you would get premium travel insurance...wrong, our flight was delayed by 10hrs which allso meant we lost our pre booked first nights accommodation. Made a claim and guess what.. wasn’t insured because they don’t cover delayed flights due to mechanical issues. Hahaha what a joke!!

BrianW51

BrianW51SA, 5159

Looks good on the surface but watch out for the detail

Christineasked

Is it ok for me to activate Commonwealth bank credit card travel insurance after my departure? (Because I am not sure what activities I should add on before my trip)

Unhappy66

Unfortunately not. Its only pre departure. But did you know even if you didnt purchase the ticket with your cc you are still covered? Best to call them if you have further questions as Id hate to misinform you.

Christine

Thank you for your reply. I knew that I do not need to pay for tickets by credit card. The reason is that if I add on snow sport when activating now I have to pay extra $170 while I am currently not sure I will have that activity in my trip or not. (Just in case of changing our mind). Anyway I will activate and add on snow sport before my trip for peace in mind. Thanks.

MarleneF

MarleneFasked

How much do I have to spend on travel to get the free insurance?

Steve

If you are a CommBank customer and have the right level of Visa credit card membership then its free.

Just log onto CommBank travel insurance, apply for it, and its issued free.

However... I have found (unfortunately) the issuing insurance underwriters (Covermore) makes you jump through endless hoops in order the claim.

I think CommBank are trying to do the right thing, its the underwriter that is my concern as my claim has been rejected.

Alternatively, if you have an AMEX credit card, then any travel booked with Amex that is over $1,000 automatically includes travel insurance.

I highly recommend you inquire into each PDS, however these are my well travelled experiences.

chrisvindona7

chrisvindona7asked

I have booked tickets to Thailand with my friends using my Gold credit card which has free travel insurance. I paid for the tickets for all four of us. Can all of us avail of the insurance or is it just me? Do I need to activate the insurance. If yes, how do i do that?

Stanford T.
Stanford T.

You probably should ask them, but most likely only you will be covered if you activate it on NetBank/combank. Also check what is covered, most likely minimal cover

Get an answer from our members and Commonwealth Bank representatives