Commonwealth Bank Travel Insurance - Credit / Debit Card Insurances

Commonwealth Bank Travel Insurance - Credit / Debit Card Insurances

Platinum & Diamond Cards, Gold Cards, World Debit Mastercard

2.0

• Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks (1), 2-4 weeks (2), 1-2 months (1) and 3+ months (1)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (2) · No (4)
Mark I.

Mark I.Sydney, NSW

I'm impressed by how smooth the handling of my claim was!

I lost my $2000 phone whilst travelling, and when I came back I made a claim. Although the police report was in another language, and the ink was very light among other details that insurances might argue about, still my claim was approved without any questions or arguments in the predefined timeframe, despite being in the middle of the coronavirus crises. I think I'm going to stick with them for good.

DestinationSouth America
Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Claim ApprovedYes

Government travel ban, worldwide pandemic, doctors reccomendation for safety of pregnant wife= NO CLAIM

DestinationAustralia
Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim DateFebruary 2020

Pointless, not real insurance

Just finished going through the process of attempting to claim for items stolen from a hire car. Basically so many wriggle words in the PDS that almost nothing was covered, got a $5 approved reimbursement.. pathetic.

DestinationNorth America (inc. Hawaii)
Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Travel Insurance

Find out how Commonwealth Bank Travel Insurance - Credit / Debit Card Insurances compares to other Travel Insurance

Dan

Dan

Thanks for nothing

After choosing this card insurance, thinking that it was a reward for being good customers for decades I have just found out like many others that it is useless now with the corona virus problem. If I read the small print correctly, you go OS get sick and they can relate this to the virus you are wiped. If you hear of problems in the media and go you are wiped. This also applies if the Government gives a warning and you go. Also we paid nearly a $1000 extra to cover any pre-existing conditions, I wonder if they will refund us this? I thought all policies were supposed to be transparent and easily understood by the average person.
Never again will I use this service. PS I think we are covered for werewolf bite but will check the fine print.

Claim MadeNo
Insurance Cover ForSenior
Pinkelli

Pinkelli

Absolutely useless - don’t use it

Activated the policy prior to Corvid-19 outbreak. Policy does not cover medical claims or disruption to travel (if I go and am affected by the virus) or cancellation (if I don’t) ... I also note that the cover doesn’t include loss of ‘valuables’ ... which makes me wonder what they actually do cover ... I’m still going on holidays, will manage the risks (having done the research on Japan they’re relatively minor) and will cancel all CBA accounts when I get back (including affiliated banks) and encourage as many others of my friends and family to do the same.

DestinationEast Asia (e.g. China, Japan, South Korea)
Claim MadeNo

OrestesBrisbane

The card and free insurance you should avoid.

DestinationSouth-East Asia (e.g. Bali, Vietnam, Thailand)
Claim DateOctober 2019

Honoured 100% of my claim without debate

While others have criticised this insurance, I only have high praise. I travel frequently and always read the PDS carefully whenever I purchase insurance. This time I took the free travel insurance as it offered everything we needed. When my father sadly died requiring a sudden return from our trip the call centre staff were sympathetic and helpful. Yes you have to book and pay your own way home, but I expected that, and yes the claim form is a little arduous to complete, but they did not dispute any of my expenses and paid promptly once the death certificate was provided. If you read the PDS and it has what you need then I highly recommend this travel insurance.

DestinationEurope, North America (inc. Hawaii) and South-East Asia (e.g. Bali, Vietnam, Thailand)
Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Type of ClaimOther
Claim DateOctober 2019
Claim ApprovedYes
Unhappy66

Unhappy66AU

Absolutely Useless Policy

Phone was stolen with cash inside the wallet, whilst the phone on table with arm touching it. Provided evidence of the fact of the withdrawal amount as they requested this. Came back with a response stating that the cash must have been on my physically and denied cash aspect of claim.

The phone they only compensate for purchase price and not the rrp. Makes it difficult when the phone was a one off sale or a gift as they only give the purchase price. Never again!

Claim Resolution Time3+ months
Claim ApprovedNo

Google is considered a '3rd party provider' (so no compensation)

When I lost my flight ticket due to no fault of my own (the airline, WOW air, shut down overnight with no warning and no compensation for customers) I called the Commbank Insurance people. They told me that Google is considered a 3rd party provider, so they could not refund my ticket. They said this was written on page 46 of their booklet. This seems like a good way of getting out of paying insurance to customers. Nobody reads 46 pages of an insurance policy, let alone 1 page, and Google is probably the go-to provider for 9 out of 10 people, so to call it a 3rd party provider is not appropriate. They are the main provider. This is not reasonable. I'm disappointed with this insurance policy.

Claim DateAugust 2019
Travel Insurance

Carly

CarlyPerth, WA

Very happy with free credit card insurance claim

I use the complimentary international travel insurance that comes with my credit card every time I travel. I put in for 2 claims this year for a bali trip that was cut short due to the earthquake. I found the process to be easy, great customer service and received full claim with no trouble and a speedy manner. Very impressed and will continue to use each time I travel.

Insurance claim madeYes

vijaySydney, NSW

Insurance claim

Insurance claim madeYes
See all Commonwealth Bank Travel Insurance reviews

PandL

PandLasked

Travel Insurance - Credit / Debit Card Insurances (Platinum & Diamond Cards)

Are we covered if the first leg of our trip is not a flight.? Example: We live in Canberra - If we are booked to cruise overseas out of Sydney and we drive to Sydney to meet the cruise ship is our insurance for the cruise period covered? Friends have told us other policies with other banks state that to be covered the first leg of your trip has to be a flight.

John

Johnasked

Travel Insurance - Credit / Debit Card Insurances (Platinum & Diamond Cards)

Is it correct that under the CBA Credit Card Insurance with CoverMore, if you booked travel before the advent of Coronavirus (Covid 19), you are NOT covered under the policy issued, should you contract the Virus?

Eric
Eric

I dont think any insurance covers corona since late January or earlier

Never trust a bank
Never trust a bank

Combank travel insurance is useless,it doesn’t matter when you started it your not covered.Next time try another bank or go directly to an insurance company.

Anja Krauss

Anja Kraussasked

Travel Insurance - Credit / Debit Card Insurances

Hi ,
I am a platinum Visa card holder and would like to know if I hire a car in Adelaide
Am I covered for the damage excess if required on the car ? This is for the complimentary insurance for my travel from Canberra to Adelaide return by air and car hire in Adelaide. Thanks Anja

Hi Anja,
No, you are not covered. CBA offers International travel insurance, not domestic. Even you plan to travel oversea with CBA free travel insurance, I suggest to read the PDS very carefully. Free insurance doesn't mean they will pay you your expenses free. If you are not a lawyer, I would recommend to get a proper travel insurance with good reviews.

Compare all 9 Commonwealth Bank Travel Insurance
CategoryTravel InsuranceTravel InsuranceTravel Insurance
Other Insurance Types Offered Car and Home and ContentsCar and Home and ContentsCar and Home and Contents
UnderwriterZurichZurichZurich
Maximum Age Covered 100 years old100 years old100 years old
Medical Coverage
Overseas Emergency Assistance UnlimitedUnlimitedUnlimited
Accidental Death$25,000$50,000$25,000
Emergency Dental$1,500$1,500$1,500
Pregnancy (max weeks) 24 weeks24 weeks24 weeks
Resumption of Journey $5,000$5,000$5,000
Hospital Cash Allowance$75 per 24 hours up to $7,500$100 per 24 hours up to $10,000$75 per 24 hours up to $7,500
Overseas Emergency Medical & Hospital ExpensesUnlimitedUnlimitedUnlimited
Loss of Income$7,500$7,500$7,500 (up to $750 per week for a maximum period of 3 months)
Permanent DisabilityNot IncludedNot IncludedNot Included
Luggage & Personal Effects
Theft of Cash $500 (combined with Credit Card and Travel Documents cover)$500 (combined with Credit Card and Travel Documents cover)$500 (combined with Credit Card and Travel Documents cover)
Delayed Luggage $500 after 12 hours$500 after 12 hours$500 after 12 hours
Credit Card Fraud$500 (combined with Travel Documents and Theft of Cash cover)$500 (combined with Travel Documents and Theft of Cash cover)$500 (combined with Travel Documents and Theft of Cash cover)
Travel Documents / Passport $500 (combined with Credit Card and Theft of Cash cover)$500 (combined with Credit Card and Theft of Cash cover)$500 (combined with Credit Card and Theft of Cash cover)
Maximum Single Item Limit $3,000$5,000$3,000
Luggage & Personal Effects $10,000$15,000$5,000
Ancillary
Personal Liability A$2,500,000A$2,500,000A$2,500,000
Rental Vehicle Excess $2,250$2,250$2,250
Motorbike / Moped Coverage Included up to 50cc, optional between 51cc and 250ccIncluded up to 50cc, optional between 51cc and 250ccIncluded up to 50cc, optional between 51cc and 250cc
Domestic Pet Care Not IncludedNot IncludedNot Included