Cover-More Travel Insurance

Cover-More Travel Insurance

3.7 from 2,128 reviews

Made a claim, perfect service.

We never want to make a claim on travel insurance because it means something has gone wrong on a holiday. I judge this sort of company on their whole process from the initial claim to the end process but more so on how they deal with a claim. The on line purchase process was easy. In this case we lost our passports hours before we were due to board a cruise ship. Thanks to the Australian Passports Office in Sydney we had new passports within 4 hours, amazing service. This came at a huge cost though (about $1,100.00 including taxis and photos). Covermore accepted the claim in full in just under two weeks, no questions asked. We had full receipts and a copy of the reporting of the lost passports so being prepared properly helped us no doubt. We have used Covermore before, had to claim and had excellent service. Highly recommend Covermore.

DestinationAustralia/Oceania
Type of ClaimLost/Stolen Property
Claim DateMarch 2019
Claim ApprovedYes

Disappointed with the level of service

We are currently in the middle of making a claim for cancelled flights due to extreme weather. So far the experience has been extremely disappointing. The level of service is less than desired and despite submitting a range of paper work that clearly shows our flight was cancelled Cover-More is looking for any option not to pay.

When I did call the company to find out a little more information about the extra paper work they requested their representative was extremely unhelpful and was only able to restate what was in the follow up letter rather than providing a further explanation. It would have been useful if he actually reviewed my case and the submitted paperwork in order to help me finalise the claim rather than trying to get rid of me. What is the point of having travel insurance if they aren't on your side when things go wrong?

Type of ClaimTravel Delays/Cancellations
Claim ApprovedNo
Hi sml1987, We appreciate you taking time to share your claims experience with us - despite it not being a positive one so far. Thank you for your feedback. It's important for us to keep our communication open with our customers so we can continuously improve. We would love the opportunity to look into this for you. Please can you send us a private message with your claim number and full name? We'll then see what we can do! Thanks, Mia at Cover-More

Would never take out insurance with this company again

I would never take out insurance with this company again. They have no empathy or campasion. The 10 day turn around is not at all true. Completely frustrated and the wait times to speak to anyone is so excessive its beyond a joke.

Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Hi Kylie, We appreciate your feedback about your claims experience. Thank you for raising this issue with us - we always find it helpful getting feedback from our customers. Our claims team have a 10 working day turnaround for communication, meaning they will reach out to you within that time period whenever they receive new documentation. It doesn't necessarily mean your claim will be processed within that time-frame if we need more information or documents to accurately assess it. We're more than happy to look into the status of your claim! If you would like us to do so, please send a private message with your claim number so we can escalate it to the right team. Thanks, Mia at Cover-More

History of pre medical conditions

Received an email today from Cover-More Travel Insurance regarding my claim for hospital treatment whilst I was in USA three weeks ago.
They informed me today via email that they are not going to pay for the six day hospital stay, operation on my left foot or pay any other out of pocket expenses that I have occurred.
Not happy with the outcome, l rang the 1300728822number that was supplied at the end of the email .
After waiting on hold for 70 minutes I was able to speak to a chap.
I stated that l was not happy with the outcome.
His reply to me was “ that I was too inform them of my pre medical conditions “
Which I did (diabetic) but I didn’t realise or informed by the travel agent that was not enough, the Insurance company wanted to know much much more.
As stated in the email I received, they wanted to know what pre medical conditions I had three years ago including any surgery, podiatrist, foot specialist and who ever else I may have seen over that time.
In their PDF they do not mention how far back they want you to go with the medical history.
I traveled to USA with no medical conditions. Clean as a whistle.
My wife and I walked around Las Vegas for two to three hours taking in the sights.
Next morning l awoke to find that l had a blister on the side of my foot which warranted me to go to hospital.
With iv antibiotics pumped into me for five days and an operation to remove a small almond shaped bone just under the big toe.
I was told that if I had any concerns about the rejected claim, I had to reply to the email I received and state that I was not informed of the history of my medical conditions had too got back so many years.
So my advise to anyone travelling overseas and taking out travel insurance make sure you supply at least three years of medical history supplied by your doctor no matter how small or how large it may be and then supply this too the insurance company and THEY WILL charge you extra premiums for your past conditions. If they think that you are a insurance risk they could drop you like a hot potato.
BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN CHOOSING TRAVEL INSURANCE because it all could turn to crap and leave you with a very large bill too pay at the end.
Graham McAleese
claim # 1233486

Claim DateMarch 2019
Claim ApprovedNo
Hi Graham Thank you for sharing this with us - despite it not being a positive claims experience. Keeping our communication open with our customers allows us to improve our products and services. We encourage our customers to declare all their existing medical conditions (EMC), so appropriate cover can be determined. Claims directly or indirectly arising from or exacerbated by an EMC or related to new infections are specifically excluded from our policies, unless it has been approved by us. If you choose to declare some conditions and not others or choose not to declare any conditions, you unfortunately run the risk of a claim being denied. If you feel that Cover-More has overlooked some important information about your claim, or new information has become available, you are more than welcome to request that we review your case. Please contact us by writing to Customer Relations, Private Bag 913, North Sydney NSW 2059, or send us an email to disputes@covermore.com.au. Please detail the basis of your appeal and include any new supporting documentation. Our team will happily review your case to see if a more positive outcome can be reached! We appreciate you getting in touch with us and sharing your valuable feedback. Thanks, Mia at Cover-More

I would personally like to thank Pontus who handled our claim he was very professional calm and collected I would like to add a positive review to many people have too many negative things to say about insurance companies

Claim ApprovedYes
Hi Les Fraser, Thank you kindly for your 5-star review about our claims service! We are very pleased to know you had a positive experience and we appreciate you taking time to share it with us. We hope you consider Cover-More again to protect your future travels. Thanks, Mia at Cover-More

Very disappointed with their communication and processing

Made a claim with cover- more, extensive paperwork. Claim accepted and notified that in 10 working days will have the amount to pay out. Exactly 1 month latter receive the same email again. Have emailed for a response. Nothing. I may add I have given now 8 days for a response. Try phoning and go through your keypad responses only to always end up with your operator and then put on hold with no response after 30 minutes. Have phoned over 6 times and always same process.

Claim ApprovedYes
Hi Daniel, Thank you for getting in touch with us about your claims processing experience. We're sorry to hear about your disappointment and we'd love the opportunity to look into this for you! Please are you able to private message us with your full name and claim number? This so we can arrange for our claims team to look into the status of your claim payment. Thanks, Mia at Cover-MoreDaniel John Miscamble. Claim 1221750Hi Daniel, Thanks for replying with those details! Rest assured we have escalated this to our claims team for investigation. We appreciate your continued patience as we look into this matter. Thanks, Mia at Cover-More

People who have claimed = unhappy, people who have just purchased insurance = happy!!

This seems to be the most ridiculous rating system - the only people happy with the insurance are those who have not made a claim. Of those who have tried to make a claim, there are no happy punters.
Hopefully the Royal commission revealing the activities of the insurance companies will have some effect. They certainly know how to hide the devil in the detail with their PDS!

Insurance Cover For:Adult, Child and Teenager
Claim MadeNo
Hi BeckStar, We appreciate you sharing your feedback with us, as it's always valuable for us to hear directly from our customers about their experience with Cover-More. Sorry to hear you have a negative view about our travel insurance. We'd love the opportunity to look into this for you. So we can raise this with the right team, are you dissatisfied with your claim outcome? If so, please private message us with your claim number and full name - we'll then escalate this internally for you! Thanks, Mia at Cover-More

Treated Unfairly – not once but twice!!

Treated Unfairly – not once but twice!!
I purchased an Annual Policy (through Flight Centre) from Cover-More in June 2018. Cover-More was highly recommended to me as being the “best in the business”. Since that time, I have travelled extensively and did make a small claim for a Doctor visit on a cruise which they paid ($500).
However, during a long tour to the Canadian Rockies I contracted the dreaded travel bug (severe vomiting and diarrhoea) and, I was so ill and, in fact, was not able to leave my hotel room to visit a doctor. I called 911 to the Hotel, and they just said it would take a few days to recover. Local Doctors do not visit hotels in Calgary. The result of this misfortune was that I missed the next leg of my business class flights for the organised tour of Washington USA.
I eventually visited a medical clinic next day and arranged for the GP to prepare a Certificate. I was holed up in Calgary for 4 days due to disruption of flights and illness. Eventually I purchased a flight back to Vancouver and travelled back to Australia.
My estimate of my personal loss in dollar terms was about $10,000. That comprised of hotels not used, flights not used, hotels needed to stay in but not previously booked and of course medical expenses.
I submitted over 100 pages of documents in supporting my claim. During the course of Cover-More processing my claim they certainly made me feel dishonest and depressed. They requested more documents and proof which took me to the limit.
I submitted my Claim on 19th January and it is only last week that Cover-More finally contacted me to say they were happy to advise that they were paying me approx. $1700 for my loss. I am appalled and disappointed because I was very honest with them. They did explain how they calculated the amount, but I better not go into that on this media. I would just say that the whole method is totally unfair.
The “TWICE” comment (heading) from me surrounds the overall Policy which was covering the above instance. I paid $4658 for an annual premium (expires 14/6/2019) and apparently at the time of purchase I must have said that my trips would not be longer than 60 days. However, this year I booked a 96-day tour and my existing annual Policy expires a few days before I return. They have refused to cover me unless I pay another $3000 (approx.). I therefore decided to insure through another Company, and I believe that new Insurer is much cheaper and with equivalents or better benefits.
I therefore asked Cover-More for a refund for the unused months (Mar to June) as they would not cover me. They refused to refund saying that would be up to Flight Centre. When I contacted Flight Centre, they said it was up to Cover-More.
This is the whole truth and nothing but the truth. For the average traveller I think people should think very carefully about what benefits they may achieve under their Travel Insurance Policy. I was one of those who is sitting here in amazement at how some Insurance Companies treat their Policy Holders who pay money in good faith for supposedly top cover and in the end experience a very bad outcome.

Type of ClaimMedical and Travel Delays/Cancellations
Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Hi Sieby, We appreciate you sharing your experience with us - even though it's not a positive one - as it's valuable to receive our customers' feedback. Sorry to hear you contracted the dreaded travel bug - hopefully you recovered well! We apologise that your claims experience with Cover-More has not been ideal. If you believe that Cover-More has overlooked important information relating to your claim, or new information has come to hand, you are welcome to request that we review your case. To do so, please contact us by writing to Customer Relations, Private Bag 913, North Sydney NSW 2059, or send us an email to disputes@covermore.com.au. Please detail the basis of your appeal and include any new supporting documentation. Our team will then happily review your claim to see if a more positive outcome can be reached! We also appreciate your feedback in regards to your Annual Multi-Trip (AMT) policy. When purchasing this type of plan, you can select the maximum trip duration that you'd like to be covered for. If you require cover for a longer trip than what you have originally selected, then the policy may need to be reissued with this additional cover - and an additional premium would apply. Unfortunately we are not able to refund portions of your AMT for months when you have not travel. Thank you again for sharing your feedback and experience with us. We are appreciative that you have taken time out of your day to help us improve our service and products. Rest assured this will be passed along to the relevant teams. Thanks, Mia at Cover-More

Great customer service when its help is needed

I've used CoverMore twice. Once in 2010 for a trip to Europe. And again for a return trip in 2018. In both cases (cancelled flights due to an ash cloud in 2010 and then temporary sickness in 2018) I found them easy to get hold of and to deal with. I have no affiliation with this company other than being a customer. Travel insurance is easy to compare cost-wise, but it's always hard to know what they'd be like if you had to make a claim. I can say after two claims (and another call to get advice) that they're good at customer service and I'd be comfortable using them again.

Type of ClaimTravel Delays/Cancellations
Claim DateJune 2010
Claim ApprovedYes
Hi SLC2283, Thank you so much for your 5-star review! We love hearing this kind of feedback from our customers so thanks for taking the time to share your experience. We're happy to hear you had a successful claim outcome and that you've been impressed with our customer service! We hope you have many travel adventures in future and we hope you consider using Cover-More again to protect your plans. Thanks, Mia at Cover-More

Dissapointed

After a fantastic trip through Canada and the States I unfortunately broke a tooth with 7 days of my holiday left.
I contacted Covermore and was told that I was only covered for work that was done overseas.I informed them the tooth was near the front and dentists I went to in Canada said they would remove it.This was not an option for me as it was near the front.
I am very dissapointed in Covermore as this is not the first time I have used them but the first time I had enquired about a claim.
Sorry but I will definatly look at my options when I next travel.
Oh had tooth rebuilt by great AUSTRALIAN dentist.

Claim MadeNo
Hi Paul, Thank you for taking the time to share your claims experience with us - despite it not being a positive one. Your feedback is valuable to us so we appreciate you getting in touch. We're sorry to hear about your broken tooth while on holidays in North America. We hope you were still able to enjoy your travels after this incident! Our premium policies can provide comprehensive overseas medical and dental coverage for unforeseen issues that arise while you're travelling. However, unfortunately this coverage does not apply to any medical or dental work completed once you're back in Australia. It is actually against the law for all Australian travel insurers to cover medical expenses incurred within Australia if you are an Australian resident or eligible overseas representative. If you contact Medicare or your private health fund to discuss your medical situation, they will be able to advise on the coverage options available to you in Australia. All of our policyholders have access to our 24/7 emergency assistance team, which can help you find a suitable medical or dental facility while you're abroad to seek treatment. Our PDS speaks to this in more detail, but if you'd like to speak to our team to better understand this when you're looking to take a trip in future, please don't hesitate to get in touch with us on 1300 72 88 22. We're more than happy to help where we can! Thanks, Mia at Cover-More

Positive process

Can highly recommend Cover-More travel insurance. My husband has a pre-existing medical condition which we stated on our original policy. Unfortunately we were unable to take our trip and started the claim process through Cover-More. The claim process was a positive one with regular updates from Cover-More as to its progress. It took approximately 2 months to resolve and we were successful in our claim. We have used Cover-More a number of times in the past and this was our first claim.

Insurance Cover For:Senior
Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Hi LKM, It is wonderful reading your positive review about your claims experience with Cover-More! Thank you so much for the 5-star rating. We are pleased to know your claim was successful, so you and your husband weren't left out of pocket for the trip you were unable to take. Hopefully you will be able to enjoy that long-awaited trip soon! We appreciate you taking time to share your positive experience and we look forward to protecting your adventures in future. Thanks, Mia at Cover-More

PAST OVER DUE UNPAID CLAIMS

Over a year after lodging a claim to Cover More, we have received three notices from a debt collection agency here in Canada because the Health Care centre where my partner received his initial treatment (Dec 2017) has not been paid yet.
I had sent these invoices multiple times and had received a confirmation in Sept 2018 from Cover More stating there was nothing outstanding at the Health Centre- I forwarded the email for the Health Centre Finance to the claims officer and asked them to contact them directly because I am so tired of running around for Cover More only to still receive unpaid invoices (all of which I forwarded months and months previously) from the Health Centre.
I was really careful to keep a track of all the invoices I sent cover more and more often then not I had to follow up on unpaid invoices. At one point I asked for a collated list of all the invoices I had received payment for/and the invoices paid to health providers- Instead of receiving one; I was told to check back through my emails- surely it wouldn't be hard to collate a list of everything paid out to our claim?

I feel I have done everything correctly; I have had so much patience and I really don't think it should take over a year to have this settled.

I am so frustrated that we now have a debt collection agency sending us bills which should have been paid over a year ago.

I would never use Cover More ever again nor would I recommend them to any one else.

Claim Resolution Time3+ months
Claim DateDecember 2017
Claim ApprovedYes
Hi Kristy, Thank you for bringing this to our attention and sharing your experience - even if it's not a positive one. We are terribly sorry that this is the experience you've had with Cover-More. It's understandable that you're simply trying to get this sorted and we would love to see if we can help you with this! If you're happy for us to escalate your claim with our team, please share your full name and claim number with us via a private message. We'll then have the right team look into it. Thanks, Mia at Cover-MoreHi Mia, I sent all the documents and details via email to claims processing on 09/03/19 1120403- Zaachary King Thanks KristyThank you for getting back to us with that information, Kristy. Please know that we have passed these details along to our claims escalations team, who will look into it for you. Thanks for your patience while we sort this out, Mia at Cover-More

Cover MORE?? More like CoverLESS...

I was victim of a home invasion and theft whilst overseas. I returned home asap and tried to claim the cancelled part of my trip. Covermore require The police report. Other insurance companies accept the report number. Their pds is a minefield. On the phone they contradict themselves and are inconsistent. Do not use them! Do not use CBA credit card included insurance because it is with Covermore. I am still waiting for the magic report to see if they accept the claim. My husband's insurance company and my home insurance company accepted the police report number only. Covermore, what is your game??

Claim MadeYes
Mediation happened briefly but no follow up. Absolutely useless. CBA damage control team sorted them out but Coverless still refusing to pay Additional Costs involved in having to change return flights to return home urgently because the word THEFT is not mentioned in that part of the pds... saga goes on.Hi GAS, We appreciate all feedback we receive from our customers, so thank you for getting in touch to share yours. We're terribly sorry you have not had a more positive experience with us. Thanks for your private messages where you have provided your claim number. Rest assured we have escalated this with our claims team who will continue to look into it for you. They will contact you directly with any updates. Thanks, Mia at Cover-More

Getting existing condition cover was like pulling teeth, even after 25 years of claim-free custom.

I have often used Cover More for OS travel since 1994 and have never made a claim. They have always covered my existing condition although the extra cost has become very high. Last year it was more than $500 extra on a $300 policy for a 6 week trip. Today I bought a policy for a shorter trip to the same destination. I went with (non-existing) medical-only cover as existing condition cover was declined, although there was no offer or requirement (as there used to be) to accept input from my GP or specialist).

Cover More eventually offered me a “manual assessment” ie by a human, but only after I had bought the policy, written this review (at their request) and redone the online assessment over the phone - they had called me “to discuss why you weren't offered the chance to share relevant health information”. I was told you have to phone (or write a negative review!) to be offered this. This is not mentioned anywhere on the website, so that would explain it!

The consultant I dealt with, Richa, was very helpful, and after a manual assessment I was offered cover for my existing condition. Even with a 15% discount ($723 for four weeks, down from $850) it was still a loading of nearly 200% on the base policy and more than 4x the price of their medical-only policy. This time it was I who declined.

Claim MadeNo
Hi Mark, Thank you for being a long-time Cover-More customer. We appreciate you getting in touch with us to share your recent experience - as we value all feedback from our customers even when it's not positive. We're sorry to hear you feel the policy price to include cover for your existing medical conditions was too high. This is valuable feedback that we will pass along to the relevant teams. We understand and respect your decision to decline our cover after our consultant went through a manual assessment with you. Wishing you enjoyable travel adventures in future. Thanks, Mia at Cover-More

Misleading PDS and aggressive depreciation of belongings

Had to make a claim after an airline computer error reserved a flight I booked but didn't allocate a ticket. Had to re-book a bunch of other more expensive flights on arrival at the airport.

Covermore's PDS states that 'we will pay additional transport expenses incurred due to circumstances beyond your control' but then limits those circumstances to a small number of extremely rare scenarios (like natural disasters) by adding the phrase 'and resulting from'. That's not how language works.

The only other claim I have put through during my trip was for damage to a camera lens that their claims department depreciated by 70% despite the fact that, in the real world, it appears to have depreciated by about 10%.

I would hope they would be less underhanded about medical claims but thankfully I never had to put that to the test.

DestinationAfrica and Europe
Type of ClaimOther and Travel Delays/Cancellations
Claim DateDecember 2018
Claim ApprovedNo
Hi R P, Thank you for getting in touch with us to share your claims experience - even though it was not a positive one. Your feedback is very valuable to us so we can improve our service and products. We're saddened to hear you're disappointed with your claim outcome. If you believe Cover-More has overlooked important information relating to your claim or if any new information has come to hand, we happily invite you to request a review of your case. Simply email disputes@covermore.com.au or write to us at Customer Relations, Private Bag 913, North Sydney NSW 2059. We'd be most appreciative if you could please detail the basis of your appeal and include supporting documentation you have. Our appeals team will then take it from there and you'll be contacted accordingly. Thanks, Mia at Cover-More

An unexpectedly good experience

WE had planned a South Pacific Cruise which we were unable to take as my wife sufferred from a return of an ongoing illness.
Claim was simple, staff were empathetic and helpful
Claim was paid quickly and in full
Overall an unexpectedly good experience

Claim ApprovedYes
Hi Paul, It is wonderful to hear that you had such a positive claims experience with us! Thank you kindly for posting a 5-star review - we very much appreciate hearing about our customers' experiences. We hope your wife has recovered well from her illness and we do hope you are able to take a South Pacific Cruise together in the near future! When you do decide to travel again, we would love for you to consider us again to protect your adventures. Thanks, Mia at Cover-More

Claim on mobile phone

I recently traveled to Argentina and my brand new iPhone 8 Plus was stolen on the subway in Beonas Aíres. I traced the phone all over Beonas Aires using the Find My Phone app but couldn’t get it back. I reported the theft to the police. Cover More refused my claim on the ground that my phone was not classified as personal goods as it was purchased on a mobile plan ie by instalments and the final payment had not been made at the time of the theft, even though I am legally bound to continue to pay for the phone until the end of the contract. What a load of crap??!! Most people would purchase mobile phones on a mobile plan and if those people travelled overseas and lost their phones, they would not be able to claim under Cover More travel insurance under their definition of personal goods. Yes, you should always read the fine print of PDS, but who would go to the minute details of the legal definition of personal goods. I would not recommend Cover More to anyone. They try to get out paying wherever they can. Cover More do not cover more. Not a good travel insurance!!!

DestinationSouth America
Type of ClaimLost/Stolen Property
Hi Wendy, Thanks for sharing your experience with us - even if it wasn't a positive one. We'd love to look into this further for you, because this outcome is rather unusual. Please are you able to share your full name and claim number with us via a private message? We'll then do the rest! Thanks, Jade at Cover-MoreThe outcome was the same. What a waste of time for the review! My suggestion is don’t use this travel insurance if you buy your mobile phone on a plan. They don’t cover it if it’s stolen or lost overseas.Hi Wendy, We appreciate your patience while we looked into this matter for you. As mentioned in our private message to you, our claims team have advised that under CBA policies, items purchased by installment (e.g. mobile phones) prior to the final payment being made, are not considered personal goods under the policy. If you would like to chat with our team further, please feel free to give us a call on 1300 467 951. We're sorry that your claim outcome has caused disappointment for you and we thank you for taking time to share your feedback with us. It's valuable to us as we continuously look to improve our service and product offering. Thanks, Mia at Cover-More

Excellent Travel Insurance

I have used cover more several times, website is very user friendly. I have made one claim in the past and payment was very quick. Would highly recommend this company for travel insurance.

Type of ClaimOther
Claim ApprovedYes
Hi Margot, Thank you so much for sharing your 5-star review with us. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback and highlight your positive experience. We're delighted to hear you not only find our website easy to use, but had a great - and fast - experience when submitting a claim. This exactly how we want our customers' experiences to be! We hope you never stop travelling within Australia or aboard, and that we can help protect all your future travels. Thanks! Jade at Cover-More

I was recommended covermore by a family member and found it so very easy to set up so simple and I think it is good value, but not the review too many words to write. Thank you. Regards Christine

Claim MadeNo
Hi Christine Maree Green, Thank you so much for sharing your 5-star review. We're delighted to help protect your upcoming trip, and even happier to hear you found the purchasing experience super-simple. Wishing you a fun, safe trip! Jade at Cover-More

Claim on suitcase

I have never had such a hard time in making a claim. They don't even answer your emails after 10 days
then you send another one another 10 days still no reply and another on still no reply.
Many call on hold for ages get cut off - back on hold. then told you have to wait 10 days for email to be reviewed.. so 4 emails = 40 days - what a joke. And still waiting from 29th January 2019 it is now 26 Feb 2019

Insurance Cover For:Child and Teenager
Type of ClaimOther
Claim DateJanuary 2019
Claim ApprovedNo
Hi Nil, Thanks for reaching out to us and sharing your experience - even if it's not a positive one. We apologise that this is the experience you've had while trying to make a claim. This time frame isn't ideal when you're simply trying to get your claim sorted as quickly as possible. If you're happy for us to escalate your claim with our team, please share your full name and claim number with us via a private message, and we'll do the rest. Happy to help! Thanks, Jade at Cover-More