Dyson Cinetic Big Ball

Dyson Cinetic Big Ball

Allergy, Animal, Animal Pro, Multi Floor and Absolute

Not very hardy

Plastic bits are unfortunately easy to break when teenage boys use the vacuum cleaner so now it’s useless-have contacted company about parts via email no response as yet-hope they can replace the part

Purchased in September 2016 at The Good Guys for $700.00.

Floor Type Wood
Clogging Issues Yes
Sorry to hear about this, we certainly don't expect any part of our machine to break as we use the same materials as found in riot shields and crash helmets. We hope you have been able to get in touch with our Dyson Experts and have a resolution. If we can assist futher, please forward your details to auaskdyson@dyson.com and we will be happy to help.

Best vacuum I've used

I use this vac on rugs and hard floors. We have a dog and a cat and there are three adults and two messy kids.
I upgraded from a bag free Hoover and what a difference!
There's no messing about with this one - everything gets sucked up and because it's bagless you see it happening. My rugs haven't ever had such a thorough clean.
I like the fact you can clean the filters yourself and don't have the added expense of buying replacements.
The parts click neatly together and can be easily taken apart.
It's a very attractive-looking machine, which is great for people like me who don't like housework.
I worry that the switches and leavers look fragile (snappable) and the head is very light. A bit more weight would be good given the strength of the suction (the rugs get lifted).
One small thing - one of the strips of velvet on the suction side of the head peeled off after only two uses.
The ball design means the vac can't tip over without righting itself.

Purchased in January 2019 at Appliances Online for $799.00.

Floor Type Carpet, Tiles and Wood

Very poor performer

Use this over couple of moths now. The multi floor attachment is like a suction cup and it does not move on the floor. We have vinyl planks and tiles and it sticks to both. Vacuuming with this is like using a rowing machine in a gym. I am at a loss to see how it passed the quality control at Dyson..! The Bag has a flimsy holder and it often opens on to the unit when you detach the unit. Absolutely horrible unit and regret buying this. This is going to be the last Dyson I bought, no more of these over prized and clearly inferior products. Dyson has lost the edge and passion. This is a proof of that.

Purchased in January 2019 at Harvey Norman for $799.00.

Floor Type Carpet, Linoleum and Tiles
Clogging Issues No
Hi Jason, Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear you are experiencing difficulties with your Dyson Cinetic Big Ball machine. We wouldn't expect these and are happy to help. We would kindly ask you to forward your details to auaskdyson@dyson.com and our Dyson Experts will be happy to help.

I want my old Dyson upright back!!!

Previously had a Dyson upright, decided to upgrade as a xmas gift for the house 2 years ago. From the moment i used for the first time I disliked the new dyson ball. The pipe/wand and attachments are flimsy, and feel very cheap. Im always weary not to put to much pressure on them in case they break. I feel the older model upright Dyson did 100% better job and would revert back to an upright if they still made them.

Purchased in December 2017 at JB Hi-Fi for $999.00.

Clogging Issues No

Lots of suction, lots of plastic parts to break

The vacuum cleaner is really good as far a suction and cleaning power go. Gives a good deep clean on carpet and easy going on tile floors. The lack of bag is a great concept and there's a good array of tools.
On the downside Dyson has never been big on plastics quality. The plastics components are weak and flimsy and will fail easily. Whilst its a good cleaner make sure and take out extended warranty

Purchased in July 2018 at Harvey Norman for $699.00.

Clogging Issues No
Hi Dave, Thank you for taking the time to review your machine. We are pleased to ehar you are happy with the performance of your machine. While flexible and light, please be assured the materials selected for each Dyson machine are designed to be durable and strong. We test relentlessly to ensure they provide reliable performance in your home. You can get a glimpse into our testing here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65ku5nxeLdA Should you have any queries or need any assistance, please don't hesitate to get in touch. We are happy to help. Best wishes, Shan

Lasted 7 minutes

Took a brand new one home from work to try out. Started out well. Next thing something gets stuck in the inlet just far enough to not be reached. Now its suction is useless and its idiotic design wont allow you to get into it to clear the obstruction. Think I will stick to the 25 year old electrolux my Grandmother once had

Purchased in February 2019.

Hi there, Thank you for taking the time to review the Cinetic Big Ball machine. I am sorry to hear about this, this is certainly not to be expected as our machines have been designed to make the airways as accessible as possible. You can see a video showing how to check the airways here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o3L4TmQimo I hope this helps, however if we can assist further please email auaskdyson@dyson.com and our Dyson Experts will be in touch and happy to help. Best wishes, Shan

Don’t buy one!!!!!

Bought the Dyson last week, so disappointed. The head is hard to use on tiles, it’s stiff to push. Not like my old Dyson. Also the attachment does not have as strong suction, as old model. Contacted Dyson they told me to buy a a hand stick, I was hoping for a replacement, The person I spoke to had no idea what she was talking about. What a waste of $699. So frustrated.

Purchased in February 2019 at The Good Guys for $699.00.

Clogging Issues No
Hi Karen, Thank you for taking the time to review your machine and experience. I am sorry to hear about this, there are certainly alternate floor tools available for the Cinetic Big Ball which sound like it would improve your experience with your machine on hard floors. We would kindly ask you to eamil auaskdyson@dyson.com with your details and our Dyson Experts will be in tocuh very shortly and happy to help. We look forward to hearing from you and assisting. Best wishes, Shan

Id rather invest in a kirby

Bought this product nothing compared to the kirby I bought in 2005 and guess what the kirby still works and sucks everything in its path.. too bad kirby on sells door to door....

Purchased in February 2019 at JB Hi-Fi for $999.00.

Very dissatisfied.

My 3rd Dyson.
This was to replace the previous smaller model.
Use on tiles, timber, carpet, painted concrete.
Especially surfaces.
I believe Dyson over-engineered what they thought would be the bigger better market offer.
It is just that.
Bigger.
Heavy, clunky, clumsy, obstinate.
Heavy to drag around.
Drag is the word.
And I am 6' 6" and strong.

Weight and centre of gravity make it get stuck on corners.
Then it turns over and there is a delay even if it does respond to return upright.

The trigger handle does not work on surfaces so has to be taken off every time.

The push levers (start/stop) & rewind are flimsy and prone to impact.

As usual, the cannister emptying method has a knack to use, commonly opening half-way through the extraction procedure.
To get it off completely there is a silly lever akin to the stick models have.

The inlet gets clogged often, a small object will do it.
A stone is fatal.
To clear the obstruction, the whole canister has to be removed from the machine and opened mid-use.
Thus, cannister has to be emptied before carrying on.
Usually, this makes a mess.
______________________________________________
The previous model was powerful, lightweight, easy to use.
Dyson then fixed something that wasn't broken.
I believe the whole thing has backfired on the market hence the new push for cordless.
______________________________________________
As usual however Dyson after sales service has been the best experienced ever.
I got them to fix the old one.
How I really just want to get rid of this new $800 beast.

Purchased in September 2018 for $699.00.

Floor Type Carpet, Linoleum, Tiles and Wood
Clogging Issues No
Hi Leonard, Thank you for taking the time to review your Dyson Cinetic Big Ball. We wouldn't expect you to experience any issue with routine blockages or the bin of your machine opening. We would kindly ask you to email auaskdyson@dyson.com with your details and our Dyson Experts will be in touch and happy to help. We look forward to hearing from you and assisting. Best wishes, Shan

Horrible

Purchased the Dyson big ball canister vacuum in May of 2017 for $500. Worse vacuum we have ever owned. Numerous issues since receiving. Recently the vacuum was emitting a horrendous odor. In a desperate attempt I ran water thru the filter area of the unit. Out poured black mold for over 15 minutes. This hazardous mold has been sent airborne thru the vacuum into my home.

I explained fully the issue and steps I took to Dyson who instructed me to send the unit to their service "professionals". This vacuum was sent with a full explanation of the situation. Received a call from a local service facility telling me it would cost over $150 to thoroughly clean the vacuum because there was water. I tried telling him to read the note which clearly explained why water was used. He would not listen that the smell existed prior to an attempted cleaning and continues telling me the smell was due to the water. Avoid Dyson products. Inferior product with poor, rude customer service.

Purchased in May 2017 for $499.99.

Floor Type Carpet and Wood

I absolutely HATE this machine

Bought 4th July 2018 for $508.18 from Billy Guyatts

Simply put this vacuum is a terrible vacuum in every metric that counts.

We have the multi-floor variant with the muscle head and it is primarily used on porcelain tiles and timber floors. It is also used on two small carpeted rooms, but its main use is on hard floors, for which it is supposedly suited.

The things it does well:
* it turn on

The things it does badly:
* more likely to push things around than suck them up
* has almost no edge suction
* Clogs constantly. Suck up a scrap of paper the size of a postage stamp. The "muscle" head will clog. Suck up some thing like a scrunched up bit of paper the size of a marble and it will jam INSIDE the cylinder. Dried leaf - jam, random bit of kids crap - jam, an offcut bit of toast on the floor - jam.
* the head is narrow - never thought of this before buying it, but the head is narrow, at least 30% less than my electrolux I had before so it takes 30% longer to vacuum the same area.
* The power lead is short. So short I have to use an extension lead to actually reach every part of the house.
* the actual suction is pathetic. Want to grab that bit of crap down in the runner of your sliding door? You will have to get the narrow fittings out because without the fittings to narrow the intakes there is hardly any suction at all
* Emptying the tank is a mission. The slide to release the base of the tank doesn't like moving and once you have emptied it you need to wrangle it down, lift bits with your finger nails because it wont slide and get covered in dust to close it.
* WORST part is the tank will often open as you remove it from the body! The bottom of the tank is held on with a tiny clip that relies on the latent spring in moulded plastic. It is not a positive fitting and 50% of the time I end up with all the crap dumped over the machine when I remove the tank. First photo shows the clip and how it has popped.
* If you have people with long hair in your house hold the hair will bind around the steel mesh filter inside the tank. This will drop the suction by half in next to no time and this machine doesn't have any suction to spare. Second photo shows hair clogging after 10 mins.
* the ball rolls over constantly. Sure it rights itself, but it just rolls over itself constantly.

In summary, for hard floors a broom is 1000000 times better. For everything else a $40 vacuum from Kmart would destroy it.

I've had this vacuum for over 6 months now and every time I use it it makes me angry. The trigger for this review was yet another dump of its tank all over itself when I tried to empty it.

Do yourself a favour, buy literally ANY other machine on the market. A dustbuster with a dying battery would be a better investment.

Purchased in July 2018 at Billy Guyatts for $508.18.

Floor Type Tiles and Wood

Could be better

Bought to replace a 10 year old "high end" Electrolux Barrel that had a few broken bits of plastic. I have a mix of hard floor, carpets and stairs. Do not have pets as such, but family members with long hair. I have used Dyson's before, but not owned one. Cannot comment on reliability as only a month old.

Good:
The small roating head accessory is great for stairs
Suction is excellent: on first use I found "extra" dust
Does not fall over
Light to carry
Most accessories attach to the wand
No bags !!

Needs be Improved in order to get 5 stars:
The cord is rather short, leads to a lot of swapping of power points as you move about the house.
Not very tolerant to items such as tissues that can "hide" under beds.
The base of the barrel needs a firm "push" after emptying to ensure that it is correctly closed, otherwise it will open unexpectedly.
Auto sensing of power (it's a manual "air bypass" mechanism)
On/Off switch on the handle would help
The small notch to attach the wand to the machine (for storage) is not robust
It's not cheap compared to competition

Purchased in January 2019 at The Good Guys Physical store for $675.00.

Floor Type Carpet, Tiles and Wood

Disappointing for the price

I have 2 high-shedding indoor dogs and need to vacuum every day. Dyson vacuums are great at picking up pet hair with little effort, and many of their machines even come with special attachments (mine does) that quickly gets pet hair off furniture or bed covers. I’ve owned 2 Dysons, 2 Wertheims and an Electrolux, and for pet hair removal, you really can’t beat a Dyson. But unfortunately that’s all they have going for them. The new ‘no touch’ cylinder emptying is a terrible design; you can’t get to the barrel or metal filter to properly clean it, so over time you end up with a build up of dust on the cylinder and fluff in the inner barrel and (in my case) pet hair in the filter. I try to use a soft brush to reach as many nooks and crannies as I can, but I’m sure this build up of debris will eventually give me problems. Plus it defeats the ‘no touch’ feature. And despite the large barrel, the fill line on any Dyson barrel is about 2 inches from the bottom, so in my case I have to empty and clean it twice a week, sometimes more.
There is a thin strip of felt material glued onto the bottom of the power head (presumably to protect floors?) that keeps coming off after very little use. Within 6 months I had to get the power head replaced because the felt was coming off and kept getting caught in the rotating brushes, and now after only 3 months the second power head has done the same thing.
There are other little annoyances with the machine, like the fact that you have to be careful with pressing the button to release the cylinder from the machine because it often empty’s as it releases, so you end up with dirt all over your floor and on the machine; the touch free clip on the cylinder canister allows for easy opening, but has no way of facilitating closure unless you pry it up with your fingernail; or if you want to quickly whip off the power head and vacume along the skirting board, the machine loses suction because of the design of the rod which has a groove cut out to connect the attachments to the rod - the only way around it is to use another tubular attachment.
In summary, the number of design flaws undermine the hefty price tag ($1000 when I purchased mine). There are other machines on the market that tackle the problem of pet hair and when this one goes, i’ll definitely be looking at other brands.

Purchased in March 2018 at Appliances Online for $1,000.00.

Clogging Issues No
Hi Nancy, Thank you for reviewing your machine. I am sorry to hear you are experencing difficulties with your Dyson Cinetic Big Ball Animal machine. We are happy to help. So we can discuss your concerns in detail, we would kindly ask you to email auaskdyson@dyson.com and our Dyson Experts will be in touch and happy to help. We look forward to hearing from you and assisting. Best wishes, Shan

Dyson Cinetic big ball animal pro.

Seriously disappointed in this vacuum considering how much it costs.
The suction is not very effective (despite emptying the barrel before needing to).
I feel like it just moves the crumbs around the carpet as opposed to vacuuming them up.
My old Hoover did a significantly better job and it was literally half the price.
A few positives about this machine..
1) The vacuum always remains upright (due to its ball shape).
2) Comes with lots of attachments for different uses.
3) The vacuum hose never kinks.

Hi Anna, Thank you for reviewing your machine. I am sorry to hear you are having trouble with the machine not picking up, this isn't something we would expect. We would encourage emailing auaskdyson@dyson.com with your details as we would value the opportunity to assist and we are happy to help. We hope to hear from you and look forward to assisting. Best wishes, Shan

Won't be buying Dyson again

I purchased the Dyson Cinetic Big Ball Allergy vacuum cleaner nearly one year ago. At first I was impressed by its suction and it seemed to remove a lot more dirt than our old Dyson. Although, upon initial use on our hard-floor areas, I noticed that the supplied turbine head would just flick dirt and larger particles around the room. I had to purchase another Dyson hard-floor head, which does a better job but clogs up with dust very quickly.

After using it for some weeks, I noticed a number of things; it would require emptying multiple times during the course of one house clean (our house is not large). One of the joints on the articulating wand arm would frequently pinch the skin on my arm leaving a significant purple bruise. This 'pinching' has happened to me on multiple occasions since and it has also happened to my mother on one occasion when she used the vacuum cleaner. The bin emptying mechanism is clunky and doesn't work very well - I have also found that if you do not click the bottom lid shut perfectly after emptying, it will open the next time you remove it from the vacuum cleaner, spilling dirt everywhere in your house (this just happened to me for the hundredth time - hence this review - I've had enough!). The anti-topple feature works but you still have to stand there and wait for the vacuum cleaner to correct itself so it doesn't actually 'save time'. The suction is odd - while it seems to suck well on carpet, and does appear to vacuum up a lot of dirt, if I take the head off and try to vacuum up something small - like a dead fly on a window sill - it struggles to pick it up. I have tested this by putting my hand near the end of the hose when it is on and it feels weirdly like a gentle breeze. Although, if you actually place your hand over the entire nozzle it does have a decent amount of suction. This is just an unusual observation I have made, but there is something 'off' about the suction on this unit.

After nearly one year of use, it requires even more constant emptying (sometimes 3 or 4 times a clean) and it loses suction significantly. It also gets extremely hot during use - so hot you can barely touch the barrel. This makes the room hot and vacuum cleaning is now just a sweaty workout.

On the positives, I do like the fact that I can vacuum under the entire bed due the flexibility of the hose and its hinges. It can vacuum, although - depending on how you look at it - not very efficiently. I do like the longer electrical cord too. The telescopic handle is great for someone like me (5'11"). The emptying function is handy, it just need significant refinements.

I'm not interested in a replacement, or a free trip to the Dyson repair shop. I'm really just waiting for the day this product of planned obsolescence explodes and is no longer usable - then I will buy something else.

Date PurchasedMay 2018
Hi there, Thank you for reviewing your Dyson machine. Please email auaskdyson@dyson.com and our Dyson Experts will be in touch to assist further. Best wishes, Shan

Very happy!!!

I purchased my first Dyson when I moved out from home and it is the best household item I've bought! Great suction and first easy to move around the house. I love the hardwood floor head attachment, it does not scratch my newly polished floor board. I loved it so much, I went and bought a Dyson handstick for spot clean!!!

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Dream come true

Best vacuum cleaner ever! Powerful, makes vacuuming a breeze! Easy to clean and wash from inside ( as this model is bagless) used it during reno vacuuming mountain of sanding dust and still working like brand new. Best purchase ever. Absolutely no issues. Purchased it and paid through after pay, it was price but it will last a lifetime.

Date PurchasedSep 2018

Best vacuum I ever had

This vacuum is so light and perfect for a small person like me. Easy to maneuver around. Cleaning is simple. So easy to use n suction is amazing. Loving it!!! Don’t think I will go with any other brands after this. I have 4 different vacuum cleaners at home, this is my favourite. Pricy but worth every cent!!

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Worst ever vacuum I've ever brought

Firstly, the cleaning shut lid. Its so easily come undone the moment you pick the barrel up to go empty the dirt content.
the power suction is weak, the noise it makes is too loud, it doesn't pick up fluff or animal hair first go but 3 to 5 times over the same area before you can't see any fluff or hair, the connectors holder doesn't stay where it is but slides down the extension handle or pipe and it so easily get clogged up which is disappointing since you have to constantly stop and clean it before you can continue your cleaning.

Date PurchasedJul 2017

Absolutely dusgusted

I had a stick vacuum by dyson and loved it until it died, so decided to go out on a limb and purchase the dyson animal pro big ball cinetic for $959, had to convince partner it's worth the investment. Wow I was so very wrong.
After a few months, the wheel came off, sent back to them and it was repaired under warranty.
Then a few months later the retractable cord wouldn't go back in. So wasnt off too a good start. Then the turbo head brush came off in pieces, spits food back on hard floor,
Overall extremely disappointed. I blame myself for trusting Dyson based on my past experience with my dyson stick vacuum, but this vacuum is nothing like the quality of my previous dyson.
I let everyone i talk to know of my buyers remorse and my husband will never let me forget my bad purchase. It's a constant reminder everytime i use it.

Date PurchasedAug 2016

Hello. Our vacuum has almost no suction. Once it is turned on, it is at 100% for about two seconds and then there is an audible sound when the suction is lost. When I take the canister away and put my hand over the hose hole, I can feel full suction but once it is all back together - no such luck. I am not sure which of the big ball ones we have - it is purple if that helps!! :) Looking forward to a positive solution. Cheers ~ Imogen.
Hi Imogen, Thank you for your query. Sorry to hear you are experiencing a loss of suction with your Dyson Cinetic Big Ball machine, we are happy to help. We would kindly ask you to go through the troubleshooting outlined in the video via this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxpwmCPj6uU This should help you get your machine back up and running, however if you still experiencing a loss of suction, please email auaskdyson@dyson.com with your details and our Dyson Experts will be in touch and happy to help get this sorted for you.

The cy22. when you turn it on dust comes out of the exhaust.even when canister is off ,I hold my hand over the suction hole then remove my hand and a huge amount of dust comes out.why?
Hi there, Thank you for your query. We are sorry to hear about this. We certainly wouldn't expect this behaviour from any Dyson machine. For assistance we would kindly ask you to email auaskdyson@dyson.com and our Dyson Experts will be in touch and happy to help.We sent it out to be serviced.. thank you

How do I get the dusty foul smelling smell out of my Dyson big ball?
Sorry I don't know. I have only had mine a week.Hi Richard, Thank you for your query. We are sorry to hear a smell is coming from your Dyson machine. Should any form of liquid or damp enter the machine, this may cause it to harbour a smell. We recommend carrying out the following steps which may dispel any odour. After emptying you may rinse the clear bin in cold water as per the instructions in your user guide, ensuring that no detergents are used. Please don't remove the bin seals whilst washing the clear bin and most importantly ensure that the clear bin is completely dry before placing back onto the machine. Please note that the cyclone top assembly, which attaches on top of the bin, must be removed and is not washable. We also recommend to let the hose, cyclone, floor tool and wand of your machine air out for 24-48 hours, ideally somewhere safe, dry and sunny. If you need further assistance please call us on 1800 239 766 with your machine handy. Our helpline is open Monday - Friday 8am - 7pm and Saturday - Sunday 8:30am - 4pm EDST. Best wishes, Shan

Cinetic Big Ball Animal ProCinetic Big Ball AnimalCinetic Big Ball AllergyCinetic Big Ball Multi FloorCinetic Big Ball Absolute
Price (RRP) $999.00$899.00$799.00$699.00$849.00
HEPA FilterNoNoNoNoNo
Weight11.34 kg11.04 kg10.67 kg10.55 kg
TypeBaglessBaglessBaglessBaglessBagless
Cord Length 6.6 m6.6 m6.6 m6.6 m6.6 m
Suction (Air Watts) 250 AW250 AW250 AW250 AW250 AW
Manufacturer Warranty2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)
Release dateApr 2016Apr 2016Apr 2016Apr 2016Apr 2016