Dyson DC05
See the Best Barrel Vacuum Cleaners in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Listing monitored by Dyson

• Product is used
  • Pet OwnerYes (2) · No (1)
  • Clogging Issues Yes (2) · No (1)
PilksSouth East Queensland, QLD

Overall, a pretty good vacuum.

This vacuum works well with very strong suction and ease of use. One thing I did find was a design fault with a restriction in the suction tube as it reaches the main housing. It seems to squash down from a circular tube to an oval and in doing so, causes a restriction when fluff starts to build up here.

Purchased in September 2017 for $400.00.

Joling Nate
Joling NateHunter Region, NSW

Reliable Vacuum that was great for the time

Purchased in March 2003.

Susie
Susie

Glad it's discontinued.

This is the worst vacuum cleaner I have ever used. So glad it's discontinued. Lime all Dysons it gets caught up on everything as it has big back wheels, no castors. It is badly designed and unbalanced so flips over a lot. Very hard to empty without dirt going everywhere. Terrible product.

Purchased in September 2014.

Not good when they discontinue

The product itself is good however the after service is terrible, when they Discontinue a model they discontinue all the parts and service on that product. You play all that money for a good machine and the plastic parts break and are not replaceable... We live in a disposable world ! throw it out and we will give you 25% of a new one..... they say. Well that is not acceptable. They should be able to provide small plastic parts to connect to their hoses. Throw out a perfectly good working machine for a part that would cost less than $1 to make. POOR SHOW on Dyson products. I acquired this machine as a gift this year so dont know when it was originally purchased, so put this years date in.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

longreefbeach
longreefbeachNewcastle

OK - able to rebuild with parts via ebay.

Now a work vacuum - using HEPA filter for vacuuming sawdust or plasterboard dust. Replaced motor once with parts from ebay. No good on pet hair on rugs. Easy to clean - hose out with pressure and dry in the sun. Told it won't work on high quality carpet I plan to buy after a new-build.

Date PurchasedJan 2011
Lucy Van P
Lucy Van PFrenchs Forest

Lovvvvvvvvvve DYSON VACUUMS DCO5 – How did I ever get along without it?

Edd
EddSydney, NSW

Top Quality

I've had my DysonDC05 for around 14 years & it's been fantastic. Just a few minor repairs - cord not retracting & motor repair about 9 years ago.
The main reason I love Dyson is the quality & bagless. A few years ago I bought the Dyson V6 Handstick Vacuum - cost around ($400-$500).
So disappointed with the Handstick - no suction & keeps cutting out even when fully charged. even though my DC05 is still working I've noticed weak suction. DC05 is now discontinued so can't get parts or filters.
After looking at all the negative / bad reviews about the latest Dyson models I decided to look at the a different range & even though it needs bags the reviews were 10/10 & very good quality.

Date PurchasedAug 2016

Smart shopping tips to help you make the most of Black Friday sales

Clara V.
Clara V.15 Nov 2021
smart-shopping-tips-to-help-you-make-the-most-of-black-friday-sales
The top-rated kitchen appliances for 2020!

Nathan S.1 Nov 2019
the-top-rated-kitchen-appliances-for-2020
Barb B
Barb BMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Extremely happy with my Dyson

I have had my Dyson for 18 years. Had it serviced once only because the cord stopped retracting. Have not had any other issues. If & when this one dies I will be buying another Dyson. I would not even consider buying a different brand.

John
JohnBrisbane

POOR ELECTRICAL SWITCH AND POWER BUTTON

Have owned this cleaner since 2005 and have numerous things break or stop working. The power cord won't retract. The yellow plastic push down for the switch broke,the handle would leak suction and you loose suction from the head and now the actual power switch has given up and dyson will not sell the switch unless you are a qualified electrician. The cleaner does not need to be completely disassembled to replace the switch!!!!
This is plug in plug out part!!!
Shame on you Dyson!!!!!

Will not sell parts that are VERY easily replaced.

WattoSingleton

Best vacuum I've ever had

I bought one of these 2nd hand 5 yrs ago and it still has powerful suction and runs great. I always forget how good it is until I use someone else's vacuum. Its been through a lot too, my husband decided to suck up prickles when we moved to a new house with more prickles than lawn and he filled a 50 litre bin twice with more dirt than anything and that was 2 yrs ago. I recently discovered that it's 14 yrs old. If that isn't value for money I don't know what is considering how many cheaper vacuums my mum and sister have gone through in the last few years I can't recommend dyson enough to them
Super reliable, you get your money's worth
I have nothing bad to say about this product

Watto

I still have this vacuum and it’s still running as well as the day I got it.

Excellent customer service

I too have just had incredible customer service from Dyson. We have a DC05 which has been working well but a clip on the vacuum broke so it did not close properly. It is 5 years old and out of warranty but a call to the very friendly customer care centre meant a new part was supplied at a very reasonable price by the next morning!!

Hihgly recommend this cleaner and company.

Could not recommend that company more

Our Dyson vacuum cleaner died the other week. Was the motor. Even though we bought 9 years ago, for $1,000. We rang them on the of chance they could fix it.

Sure enough, $280 later, with new motor, new cord, new filter, new head, door-to-door pickup and delivery, with a new turbo head and a bunch of other things thrown it.

It is now working far better than when we originally bought it. The new motor they put in is incredibly powerful.

Oh – and it now has a 2-year full replacement warranty covering everything.

Could not recommend that company more.

paint00shield
paint00shieldSydney Surrounds, NSW

Bad

Would not buy another Dyson. Although mine is now nearly 9 years old I am now on my third new motor, third grey cable, and various cleaning heads plus telescopic wand replaced by dyson free of charge. The turbobrush is fantastic because I have persian cats and it really does a great job picking up pet hair, but is also does get clogged and then you have to take the head apart to clean out pet hair. Their sevice is very good but I would not expect to have had all these things go wrong. Had a Miele vacuum for 12 years and never had any problems.
Modern in design, bagless, and very easy to maneover.
Motor burn out. Grey cable to thin and gets twisted and consequently does not rewind.

Coralie20

I will never buy another Dyson. Motor blow out in less than 3 yrs. Expensive to buy and repair.

lebron720
lebron720Sydney Surrounds, NSW

OK

Coralie20

My vac has blown a motor and it is not 3 yrs old. Dyson want $145 to replace. The vac has not had a lot of use and I expected years of use for the heavy price I paid

billdunk
billdunkNSW, 2484

I've owned this cleaner for around 12 years and have had no problems with it until a month ago when the on/off switch broke (through I suspect, bad handling). The service was quick and cheap.

The cleaner works as well as the day I bought it. It is easy to use and clean, and having borrowed a friends Miele cleaner whilst it was being repaired, I would buy another without hesitation.
Light and easy to use, easy to clean, strong suction,
does not sit on stairs very well

Bill S.
Bill S.asked
DC05 Absolute

what about availability of parts eg. broken locking clip from hose to cleaner

Pilks

Not sure Bill, haven't needed to replace any parts on my vac as yet.

Lorraine M
Lorraine Masked
DC05

Was looking to buy a Telescopic Wand for my DC05 Vacuum Cleaner. It is 16 years old and after checking on
line I am disappointed I won't be able to obtain one. Is there any hope of finding one anywhere else. I had the motor replaced a few years ago and would love to be able to still use it.

DysonDyson

We do apologise for the disappointment. Dyson have been supporting the DC05 since it's launch in 1999, however we are no longer able to provide parts and servicing.

That being said, we do have an offer for our Dyson DC05 Owners. To find out more, please just email auaskdyson@dyson.com with your details and the serial number of your machine and we will be in touch.

Rizalasked
DC05

Hi I have a dyson dc05 motorhead SN 079-AU-529675. Still works well but my daughter threw the motorhead and other head parts by mistake. What are my options to replace? I'm thinking of
1. Is there other dyson model motorhead that will fit mine?
2. I read the product was recalled. Can I still return or exchane mine with one that has same power?

Rizal

Just a follow up question I found DC 08 MOTORHEADS in Gumtree. Will they fit? I'm in NSW and seller is in Perth but I'm asking a friend to pick up and ship.

DysonDyson

We do apologise for any disappointment, however spare parts for the DC05 Motorhead are no longer available. While DC08 parts won't fit the DC05, we do have an offer for DC05 Motorhead owners.

We would kindly ask you to forward your details to auaskdyson@dyson.com and our Dyson Experts will be in touch and happy to help.

Get an answer from our members and Dyson representatives

Dyson DC05

Dyson DC05 Turbo

3.0
Dyson DC05 Motorhead

Dyson DC05 Motorhead

CategoryBarrel Vacuum CleanersBarrel Vacuum CleanersBarrel Vacuum CleanersBarrel Vacuum Cleaners
TypeBaglessBaglessBaglessBagless