East Coast Car Rentals

East Coast Car Rentals

4.6 from 5,566 reviews

See the Best Car Hire in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Melbourne Tullamarine branch was amazing!!

Hired a car online through Eastcoast website with ease and found the shuttle waiting and driver was very friendly.
Picked up the car from the Melbourne branch and the car was perfect and extremely tidy, staff were friendly and accomodating.
No unecessary bond taken as we opted to pay insurance which made the process enjoyable!
Have already booked with Eastcoast for our upcoming trip!

Received Booked Vehicle No, I received a better vehicle

Over Charge and poor customer service

We waited nearly 30 minutes at Gold coast airport for their shuttle to arrive.. and after few weeks of rental they charged me $75 just for forwarding a parking fine. I will never use them again..how on earth you charge #75 just for forwarding a parking fine.

Received Booked Vehicle Yes
Hello Waleed! Thank you for your feedback. I am very sorry you are not pleased with the administration fee you were charged for on your infringement. However, in our Terms and Conditions 3.7 states a fee will apply if an infringement has occurred during your rental. I will be sure to pass on your feedback of the shuttle bus wait period to make sure we can improve this for the future.

Dishonest and poor customer service.

We went to Melbourne to attend a business meeting and hired a car from East Coast through Jetstar Airlines. We used around 120-130 KM, we were in the rush to catch our return flight and did not fill the fuel as its a matter of a couple of litres. When we returned the car they claimed 33 litres, $111 for fuel. We denied to pay and went to a nearby fuel station, it took 7 litres petrol around $11 to fill the tank. A lady (Vicky) in the customer service even did not say sorry and her reaction seemed its a normal matter. Dishonest and poor customer service.

Vehicle TypeHolden Equinox EQ
Received Booked Vehicle No, I received a worse vehicle
Hello Farid! Thank you for your feedback. I have spoken with our Melbourne Airport Manager and she has informed me it was miscommunicated, and it was mistaken by our employee. We do apologise for the inconvenience of human error.What do you mean by miscommunication? Your employee checked in the computer, prepared invoice and claimed me the fake amount. She did not even say sorry. What do you mean by human error????

Great rates, friendly staff.

Recently hired from the Adelaide airport (Richmond) and cannot fault them.
The shuttle from airport was prompt, the staff were very friendly and informative. The car was clean and in great condition. We booked a 7 seater and got a Hyuandai iLoad. The fuel economy was a nice surprise. I was concerned their lower rates would mean low quality cars and service but I was impressed with it all. Our destination was 2 hours out of Adelaide so the unlimited mileage was a big plus.

Vehicle Condition
Vehicle TypeHyundai iLoad TQ-V (2008-Present)
Received Booked Vehicle Yes
Hello Megan. Thank you for your feedback, we really appreciate it! I'll be sure to pass this onto our Adelaide Airport and I can confirm they'll be very grateful for your kind words. Kind Regards, Katelin.

Disgusting staff

When I had a problem with my rental car and rang Lloyd at Eastcoast Car Rental he told me to f*&%k off. Disgusting service. Will never use this company again. I work in accommodation and now tell all our guests not to use this East Coast Car Rentals. Lloyd you lost yourself thousand of dollars a year through your bad attitude. Car was filthy and half full when picked up. Found syringe under seat.

Vehicle TypeToyota Camry
Received Booked Vehicle No, I received a worse vehicle
Hello Dianne, and thank you for your feedback. I am shocked to read your review both in response to a staff member and the condition of the vehicle. I would like to investigate your concerns as a matter of urgency. Can I ask that you please confirm the name of the staff member you spoke to, as we don’t have any employee by that name. Secondly, I would very much like to have the respective branch manager take action in response to the conditions of the vehicle. I would greatly appreciate if you could respond via email with details of your rental to customerservice@eastcoastcarrentals.com.au, either your reservation number or rental agreement number as I would very much like to get to the bottom of this on your behalf. Kind regards, Katelin.

Bad from start to finish.

Pickup from Sydney afer nearly 1hour , no apologies or excesses We left the airport traffic was light !!!!! Then on arrival at car pickup asked to pay $1000 deposit before you could take a car if you did not take out their insurance!!! It was almost blackmail !!! When we went back to drop car off the service was just as bad .

Received Booked Vehicle Yes
Hello Wisey. Thank you for your feedback. I am very sorry you waited for an extended long period to be collected. I’ll be sure to pass this on to our Sydney Manager to make sure we can fix that one. I also would like to apologise for the customer service you had reserved was not to your level of expectation, it is our number one priority to make sure every customer is a happy customer. Regarding the $1000 Pre-Authorisation, it is required with every customer who wishes not to reduce their excess directly with East Coast Car Rentals. As your excess is a large amount, we request the Pre-Authorisation for security on the vehicle. It does also state in our terms and condition a Pre-Authorisation will be held on arrival. Kind Regards, Katelin.

DO NOT HIRE FROM THIS COMPANY

I hired the car from Friday 14th- Sunday 16th. I arrived at Sydney airport at 1030am and collected my bag at 1040am. As soon as I walked out of the terminal I contacted your service line to order a shuttle. We waited until 11am and due to the delay in being picked up we called the service line again to be told that the driver was at the international airport and would be over shortly. It got to 1130am and the shuttle finally arrived. At this point we were told that there was too many people and not enough seats on the shuttle. My partner and I were told to wait for the next shuttle. Having already waited 45 minutes and much longer than all other parties on the bus we were very angry and put our foot down. The second driver of your company finally ended up giving up her seat and waiting for a second shuttle and we finally got on our way. We arrived at the depot to then be hit with hidden insurance costs of an extra 72 dollars for the three days taking the total to $169! It was either this or have $1000 withheld and which according to previous reviews that I have just read is extremely difficult to get put back in your account and can take more than 28 days. When we finally got all the paper work completed it was 1150am, we then get told that our car isn’t ready as the outside hadn’t been cleaned. Considering our pick up time was booked for 11am I find it ridiculous that 50 minutes beyond our booking time our car was still not ready. There were at least 30 cars in the depot and when we questioned as to why we couldn’t have another car the response was we are very busy and can’t lend another car. So we waited another 25 minutes for the car to be washed for it to then come out dirty anyway! So from start to finish this wasted nearly 2 hours of our time which is extremely valuable given that we had come to visit a grandparent who has terminal cancer whom we haven’t seen in over 6 months. I tried to contact head office on Friday to make a complaint and was told that I would be phoned back within the day and not surprising at all I’m still waiting for a phone call back. Your staff were not helpful at solving any of these problems. We were provided with no compensation not even an apology and we are definitely entitled to something.

Received Booked Vehicle No, I received a worse vehicle
Hi there. Thank you for your feedback we really appreciate it. This matter was brought to our attention on Sunday and we are investigating this matter further. We are awaiting feedback from our Sydney Airport Manager regarding this response.Hi Katelin, I took this complaint to the head office. I initially received a response saying it was being further investigated however upon trying to get an update on the progress of my complaint I have received no further contact.

Commendable service

The service which we got in Melbourne airport was too good. The shuttle arrived in time to pick us up, the car was ready when we got there, everything was perfect. But we got the total opposite service at Sydney airport.

Hi Rahmanul. Thank you for your feedback. We are pleased you were happy with our customer service in Melbourne. Can you please contact us on customerservice@eastcoastcarrentals.com.au regarding the service you were presented at Sydney Airport.Hi Katelin. Email sent.

Cheap for a reason. Ends up expensive

Getting car took ages. Booked hyundai i20 and got Kia Rio. Not sure if i20 would have been better but the car was terrible. Dirty. Clutch sucked and (despite usually driving manual daily) we stalled several times. They charge extra $4 fee on top of each toll you pay. Airport drop-off not near airport and you have to be early to make sure you will get to terminal on time

Vehicle TypeKia Rio
Received Booked Vehicle No, I received a worse vehicle
Hi Liz. Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry the car presentation was not at the level of expectations you were hoping for. It is our number 1 priority to make every customer happy with the vehicle we have provided. However, we have failed on this occasion. Please accept our sincere apologies. Can I please address the issue as you were not pleased you were provided a Kia Rio. The Kia Rio and the Hyundai i20 are in the same vehicle category, meaning you can receive either of the 2, depending what we have on that day in the class. Regarding Tolls, we do not charge them the New South Wales Roads and Maritimes Services do. If you would like to dispute the charge, please contact them direct on 131 856. Lastly, yes you are correct. We are an offsite operator which is disclosed at time of reservation, so we do not have a drop off point at the airport. I am sorry that this had not met your expectations.

Prepare for the hard up-sell

I booked a car through this company and a few minutes later, received a text saying "Please call 1300 136 465 regarding your car booking.". That alone is unprofessional. Its bad enough being upsold at all: I understand lean margin businesses rely on upsell, but to trick a customer into calling you to save you time and costs, is a pretty unprofessional tactic.

I thought there might be a problem with my booking and there was... Sort of. I had a telemarketer lay down the pressure sell, saying that I had forgotten insurance, and that basic excess for $4400, but I wasn't covered for most events like single car accidents and undercarriage damage.

This is not unique by any means (most rental companies have similar conditions), but he made me feel like my entire life savings were at risk by driving that car, so I ended up cancelling and hiring with another firm that I usually use for business trips. It cost $140 more - more than the Loss Damage Waiver insurance they were selling, but the call left me feel like I was dealing with shonks.

I can't comment on anything else, because I cancelled the booking, but the booking experience made me feel like they run the company through drip pricing and lack of transparency, which given the reputation the car hire industry has, is a big red flag.

Booking Process
Hi Ken. Thank you for your feedback, however I believe you have booked through a third party as this is not a procedure East Coast Car Rentals does. I can also confirm the number you provided is not our number. Please check your reservation confirmation that it states you booked on our website directly on https://www.eastcoastcarrentals.com.au/ .Hi Katelin. Thanks for responding. You are correct that I booked through WebJet. I am now unable to recall whether any IVR or the telemarketer identified themselves as from Webjet when I called the number, or if I was led to believe through omission that I was reaching East Coast Car Rentals directly. The SMS message definitely does not identify the company. I'm now conflicted as to whether to leave this up or not, as the agents you authorise to sell your services still represent you, even if your organisation doesn't explicitly authorise this type of practice.

Excellent experience

I was nervous because of the bad reviews but my experience at the Hendra office was friendly, professional and seamless, my time was tight owing to a family funeral and a flight from Mackay to Brisbane and back again, pick up and drop off was great, office was efficient and car was very good, will use again, thanks East Coast.

Vehicle TypeHyundai Accent
Received Booked Vehicle Yes

Worst place to rent your car from

Worst place to rent your car from. I rented a car through their website and got one that had done 100k . The car battery went off in Canberra. They asked me to call road side assistance. 3 hours later road side assistance arrived and said the battery is really bad and very risky to jump start. I had to leave the car on road and take public transportation.

Gave a replacement car the following day which had done 70k + and while driving back to Sydney from Canberra the car would skid on highway when you drive over 100k/hr. Called up customer service and they said they cannot do anything I have to drive the car to Sydney Airport and get another replacement car.

In short wasted 15 to 20 hours of my time and got only cars with high kilometers which were not road wothy.

Vehicle TypeSuzuki Grand Vitara
Received Booked Vehicle No, I received a worse vehicle
Hi Prakash. Thank you for your review. I am very sorry to hear of your experience. Can you please email customerservice@eastcoastcarrentals.com.au with your rental agreement number so we can investigate this matter further.

Always great service

We have hired from East Coast for several years. We have always found them to be very easy to deal with, and there service is great. They also have exceptional value for money.

Vehicle TypeMitsubishi Outlander
Received Booked Vehicle Yes
Hi Sallie and Andrew. Thank you for your review, we really appreciate it! Hope to see you in the near future.

WARNING this is not a 24hr car rental service -

left stranded at airport, next day able to rent car but at a higher rate. I was informed garage across from car rental opens at 5am this is not true had to drive into Launceston to top up petrol. Shifty lot. This also confirmed by locals

Hi Lee E. I am sorry to hear that you are under the impression we are a 24-hour car rental service. Unfortunately, we are not nor have we ever been a 24-hour car rental company. Our hours of operation in Launceston are 8am – 6:30PM. I’m sorry you were informed incorrectly of the operating times for the petrol station, the rental agent was trying to be as helpfully as possible to make sure you do get to the close’s petrol station available.

worst car rental in australia

the worst car company in all australia. the guy from the front desk in sydney is the only good thing about my experience. the gave me a car with an old battery, the car stopped in the middle of the street. they told me that i should call for the battery change and even though the guy from the front desk told me i would get a full refund because of the entire day i could not used the car and had to push the car by myself to park it and not leave it the middle of the street, they told they would only refunded me one day. and they even told me that this things happen! You have a car rental business, you should check your cars. its really dangerous. dont rent with this guys even if the price is good. pay a little more and dont waste your time. they dont respect people.

Received Booked Vehicle No, I received a worse vehicle
Hi Sofia. We have spoken to you over the phone previously at length explaining we do check our vehicles before giving them to every customer. Every battery even if it is 1 week new can stop working unexpectedly. We have refunded one day rental which you were happy with, however because you phoned a second time and did not understand your final invoice, you had received your entire four-day rental for free. From a customer service perspective, this was a positive outcome and a very generous resolution especially given that the vehicle was in excellent condition. I am sorry you felt that you wasted your time, however everything about your rental was faultless including the vehicle provided on the day.you should be ashame of this comment. you never told me you were gonna refund me only a day. since you dont hear what ive tomd you on the phone i dont expect you to tell the truth on this comment. you have really bad reviews so i feel pretty good about myself writing this, you are the ones that have bad fame. you have a car rental service, you cant say that about the vehicles, i was so lucky the car didnt stop in the middle of a highway. any way, you should be taking this a contructing critique not responding as if you were a child blaming everyone around you except your selfthe technic that change the battery, told me the battery was as old as the car and it was never cheked. should i not believe this profesional? worst companny ever and this comment says much more about you

Excellent car rental from East Coast Car Rentals

We received an excellent car rental experience from East Coast Car Rentals, Cairns. We got a great price of only $24 a day for a 16-day rental, for a large car with a large boot which was almost new with only 17,000km on the clock. Airport pick up and drop off were included and were fast and seamless. Terms and conditions were clear, and collecting and dropping off the car were efficient and painless. The staff even helped us to make an international call to unblock our credit card which had been blocked the previous day just before we left New Zealand. The staff were all very helpful and did everything with a smile on their faces. Great job, as the Americans say.

Received Booked Vehicle No, I received a better vehicle

Terrible Service

I booked with this company because I thought it was a great price, ended up costing way more than I thought. The company cancelled our booking by accident, leaving us stranded at the airport so we got charged a day we did not use, had to book a hotel due to the place being closed. After spending an hour on the phone with Car Rentals.com who were most helpful, we got picked up from our hotel the next day. John, who is suppose to be the manager of East Coast Car Rentals close by to Sydney Airport was rude and lacked any knowledge of customer service unfortunately. Not one apology for making us have to book a hotel, offered no explanation or compensation, we did not receive the car we booked and after being so rude all John had to say was "do you want the car or not". Will not be using this company ever again and do not recommend to anyone.

Received Booked Vehicle No, I received a worse vehicle
Hi Sarah. Thank you for your feedback. I am very sorry to hear of your experience. However, I do have to address the hidden costing you feel were not mentioned when making your reservation. As you mentioned you had booked though a third party which doesn’t list all our packages we supply for our customers. Can you please email our reservation team on res@eccr.com.au providing evidence of the contact number you called and the times as well just so we are aware you were provided the correct contact number. Can you please also attach your rental confirmation email you would have received from Rentalcars.com so we can investigate the matter further. However, I do have to inform you if you have pre-paid your booking you will have to seek compensation through Rentalcars.com themselves as you would have not paid your rental days directly with us. I am very sorry you were not pleased with the customer service you were provided from one of our Managers. I’ll be sure to share your feedback with our customer service manager, and have the poor service addressed.

Car is dirty, Petrol only 1/2 full, customer service staff is not friendly and lack of energy.

Lack of energy and not quite friendly service.
The car is old, dirty and not the same as the picture.
The car was for holiday and it’s ok to drive.
Petrol was half full when we picked it up.

Received Booked Vehicle No, I received a worse vehicle
Hi there. Thank you for your feedback. I am very sorry you were not pleased with the customer service you were provided. Can you please share you rental agreement to our reservation team on res@eccr.com.au so we can investigate this matter further please?

Don’t bother

Don’t expect them to answer your calls or pick you up on time from the airport. Really poor service, 5km from Sydney airport. 3 staff, 2 customers and still couldn’t provide service

Received Booked Vehicle Yes
Hi Scott. Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry you feel the communication wasn't pleasant during your rental. I'll be sure to share your feedback with our Sydney Airport branch.

Used East Coast Car Rentals when we went to Hobart Tasmania.

Great value for money for a family of eight wanting to have a good look around Tasmania. Would recommend and will use again when we go to Cairns. Thanks very much to East Coast Car Rentals you guys rock