4.6 from 5,582 reviews

• Booking Process
  • Vehicle Condition
  • Received Booked Vehicle
    • No, I received a worse vehicle (12)
    • No, I received a better vehicle (2)

Traveller W

Traveller WSouth East Queensland, QLD

Simply good prices and services

I have hired from East Coast multiple times without a hitch always found them to be obliging and helpful,cars in good condition and shuttle service as prompt as I expect for all the whiners about the pick up remember it’s a shuttle service not a personal taxi I consider myself as good a driver as the next person but I always pay insurance without crying about it because accidents can happen if it does and you take the risk,pay the price.If you take insurance with East Coast and are unfortunate enough to have an accident you deal with them if insurance is with a 3rd party you have to wait for reimbursement from that provider

Excellent service and experience

I was extremely pleased with the service I received at the Hobart Airport. The staff was extremely accommodating and pleasant.
Their flexibility allowed me to effortlessly make changes on my reservation.

Received Booked Vehicle Yes

No problems, but still would not rent again. Read why...

Vehicle TypeToyota Camry
Received Booked Vehicle Yes

Unacceptable long waiting time.

We waited for 1.5 hours in the Cairns airport for transfer to the car hire office. As soon as we collected our luggages, I called the office for the courtesy bus, and waited in the pick up area. All other groups came later than us have been picked up. Called the office multiple times again but no use.

Vehicle TypeToyota HiAce

AMANSydney

1 hour wait for airport pick up

We waited for an hour for airport transfer from Maroochydore airport to the east coast car hire depot, 5 phone calls to the office only to be told the driver is on his way. After speaking to the staff at Hertz, they directed us to the depot which was a 5 minute walk away. Terrible start to our holiday, would recommend to pay extra and book airport based car hire companies to avoid the arguing to be picked up. My husband waited for the bus with our luggage whilst I walked to the depot , when my husband was picked up he saw that messages were being sent to pick us up, the manger didn’t believe we had been calling and asked for a screenshot of calls made to prove it.

GREAT friendly service

Rented an 8-seater for a holiday (flying in from the UK) 21st-28th November. Shuttle bus driver was friendly and efficient. Got to the very small depot, again friendly greeting. All information given quickly in an airconditioned office with fresh cool water on tap - a boon for us sweating Poms. The 8 seater was great, it had a couple of dings but nothing bad or significantly noticeable. It was clean and performed really well.
Return at the end of the holiday was again fast, friendly and helpful.
Stupidly cheap for such excellent service and vehicle. We're planning on returning next year we'll use East Coast Rentals again.

Vehicle TypeHyundai iMax TQ-W

Anna D

Anna DSouth East Queensland, QLD

Could have been a tragedy

Vehicle TypeKia Carnival
Received Booked Vehicle No, I received a worse vehicle

Shaquille

ShaquilleSouth East Queensland, QLD

Evening shift has horrible service

I am a single mum travelling for a short last minute trip for a funeral to Cairns. The gentleman were nice on the evening shift, however the front desk service from other ladies were disgusting. One lady in particular had poor customer service skills and needs further training or another job. She was rude and not undersranding of my circumstances travelling as a single mum at all. Would not reccomend to anyone because of her service.

Received Booked Vehicle Yes

We hired a car from Launceston for 13 days. Staff were great, we examined the car together to ensure we all agreed on existing damage. Rental charge was very reasonable and included insurance. There was a small excess liability but this was covered by our travel insurance. We returned the car with no issues.

Would use again and definitely recommend. BTW they only have white cars in the Launceston depot.

Vehicle TypeHyundai Accent

Scheming

Lord Lucan

Looks like more of the same scaremongering to add insurance sales

I took my 3 children down to Sydney after an extended period of ill health with my middle child.
I was met with a quite scripted lady who tried her best to scare me into buying an insurance premium.
After I declined the insurance cover I was met with a condescending attitude and told that will be $1000 bond please and your bank may hold this bond for up to 4 weeks. I am in the bank right now and 100% been told that Suncorp do NOT hold this money it is east coast cars that have a hold on my money. Total shonks. Stay well clear.

Lord Lucan

I have not been given a cancellation receipt as this is the first I have heard of such a thing.
Suncorp assured me 100% that East Coast rentals are holding my money. This is a common theme with East Coast I think

Michael

MichaelGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

What I Hoped For

After shopping around online for a hire car to use in far north Queensland I decided to book a Suzuki Swift with East Coast Car Hire in Cairns. The staff were very friendly and informative, the car was reliable, ran well and very economical. Furthermore, the close proximity to the airport coupled with the airport courtesy bus made for an excellent experience. I will most certainly use the services of East Coast Car Rentals again in the future wherever possible.

Vehicle TypeSuzuki Swift

East Coast Car Rental

Unexpectedly Off site, not made clear beforehand, so you have to wait for the shuttle bus. The bus is always 10 minutes away so you dont panic but end up waiting half an hour.
They frighten you about freezing $1000 for excess then say if you pay extra the excess reduces and they dont freeze your money.
Read the small print and put up with being manipulated.

Terrible Service

When booking East Coast Car Rental off webjet, they made no mention that the branch was 4 km from the airport. We waited ages for the shuttle only to be met by an extremely rude man when we arrived. Eventually we just left and got an Uber to the hotel. Never again.

Jonathan

JonathanMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Double dipping and dodgy

My sister hired a car for my wife and I from Sunshine Coast airport and purchased the insurance required to make the booking. Before allowing us to take the car the manager was rude and condescending, He told us that we had 2 choices for more insurance. Give $1000 bond on our credit card or pay $25 a day after he refused to look at the proof of the insurance we thought we already had.They used exactly the same script on a family behind us who also thought they had insurance already.We felt ripped off by this company and we and our family will not be using them ever again.

Katelin B.East Coast Car Rentals

I was very impressed with the service at the Gold Coast office.

The shuttle driver who pick me up and dropped me off was such an amazing person, so friendly and helpful. The office staff were friendly and professional. The car was a great car to drive and was very clean. Definitely highly recommended and will definitely be using east coast for any future hires

Upset Customer

Upset Customer

Melbourne Tullamarine branch was amazing!!

Hired a car online through Eastcoast website with ease and found the shuttle waiting and driver was very friendly.
Picked up the car from the Melbourne branch and the car was perfect and extremely tidy, staff were friendly and accomodating.
No unecessary bond taken as we opted to pay insurance which made the process enjoyable!
Have already booked with Eastcoast for our upcoming trip!

Received Booked Vehicle No, I received a better vehicle
Katelin B.East Coast Car Rentals

Hello there! Thank you for your feedback. I have shared your feedback with our Melbourne branch and they are thrilled to hear your kind words.

Over Charge and poor customer service

We waited nearly 30 minutes at Gold coast airport for their shuttle to arrive.. and after few weeks of rental they charged me $75 just for forwarding a parking fine. I will never use them again..how on earth you charge #75 just for forwarding a parking fine.

Farid UddinSydney, NSW

Dishonest and poor customer service.

We went to Melbourne to attend a business meeting and hired a car from East Coast through Jetstar Airlines. We used around 120-130 KM, we were in the rush to catch our return flight and did not fill the fuel as its a matter of a couple of litres. When we returned the car they claimed 33 litres, $111 for fuel. We denied to pay and went to a nearby fuel station, it took 7 litres petrol around $11 to fill the tank. A lady (Vicky) in the customer service even did not say sorry and her reaction seemed its a normal matter. Dishonest and poor customer service.

Vehicle TypeHolden Equinox EQ
Received Booked Vehicle No, I received a worse vehicle

Hello Farid!
Thank you for your feedback. I have spoken with our Melbourne Airport Manager and she has informed me it was miscommunicated, and it was mistaken by our employee. We do apologise for the inconvenience of human error.

Farid Uddin

What do you mean by miscommunication? Your employee checked in the computer, prepared invoice and claimed me the fake amount. She did not even say sorry. What do you mean by human error????

Megan W.

Megan W.South East Queensland, QLD

Great rates, friendly staff.

Recently hired from the Adelaide airport (Richmond) and cannot fault them.
The shuttle from airport was prompt, the staff were very friendly and informative. The car was clean and in great condition. We booked a 7 seater and got a Hyuandai iLoad. The fuel economy was a nice surprise. I was concerned their lower rates would mean low quality cars and service but I was impressed with it all. Our destination was 2 hours out of Adelaide so the unlimited mileage was a big plus.

Vehicle Condition
Vehicle TypeHyundai iLoad TQ-V (2008-Present)

Hello Megan.
Thank you for your feedback, we really appreciate it! I'll be sure to pass this onto our Adelaide Airport and I can confirm they'll be very grateful for your kind words.

Kind Regards, Katelin.