East Coast Car Rentals

East Coast Car Rentals

4.6 from 5,555 reviews

worst car rental in australia

the worst car company in all australia. the guy from the front desk in sydney is the only good thing about my experience. the gave me a car with an old battery, the car stopped in the middle of the street. they told me that i should call for the battery change and even though the guy from the front desk told me i would get a full refund because of the entire day i could not used the car and had to push the car by myself to park it and not leave it the middle of the street, they told they would only refunded me one day. and they even told me that this things happen! You have a car rental business, you should check your cars. its really dangerous. dont rent with this guys even if the price is good. pay a little more and dont waste your time. they dont respect people.

Received Booked Vehicle No, I received a worse vehicle
Hi Sofia. We have spoken to you over the phone previously at length explaining we do check our vehicles before giving them to every customer. Every battery even if it is 1 week new can stop working unexpectedly. We have refunded one day rental which you were happy with, however because you phoned a second time and did not understand your final invoice, you had received your entire four-day rental for free. From a customer service perspective, this was a positive outcome and a very generous resolution especially given that the vehicle was in excellent condition. I am sorry you felt that you wasted your time, however everything about your rental was faultless including the vehicle provided on the day.you should be ashame of this comment. you never told me you were gonna refund me only a day. since you dont hear what ive tomd you on the phone i dont expect you to tell the truth on this comment. you have really bad reviews so i feel pretty good about myself writing this, you are the ones that have bad fame. you have a car rental service, you cant say that about the vehicles, i was so lucky the car didnt stop in the middle of a highway. any way, you should be taking this a contructing critique not responding as if you were a child blaming everyone around you except your selfthe technic that change the battery, told me the battery was as old as the car and it was never cheked. should i not believe this profesional? worst companny ever and this comment says much more about you

Excellent car rental from East Coast Car Rentals

We received an excellent car rental experience from East Coast Car Rentals, Cairns. We got a great price of only $24 a day for a 16-day rental, for a large car with a large boot which was almost new with only 17,000km on the clock. Airport pick up and drop off were included and were fast and seamless. Terms and conditions were clear, and collecting and dropping off the car were efficient and painless. The staff even helped us to make an international call to unblock our credit card which had been blocked the previous day just before we left New Zealand. The staff were all very helpful and did everything with a smile on their faces. Great job, as the Americans say.

Vehicle TypeToyota Corolla
Received Booked Vehicle No, I received a better vehicle

Terrible Service

I booked with this company because I thought it was a great price, ended up costing way more than I thought. The company cancelled our booking by accident, leaving us stranded at the airport so we got charged a day we did not use, had to book a hotel due to the place being closed. After spending an hour on the phone with Car Rentals.com who were most helpful, we got picked up from our hotel the next day. John, who is suppose to be the manager of East Coast Car Rentals close by to Sydney Airport was rude and lacked any knowledge of customer service unfortunately. Not one apology for making us have to book a hotel, offered no explanation or compensation, we did not receive the car we booked and after being so rude all John had to say was "do you want the car or not". Will not be using this company ever again and do not recommend to anyone.

Received Booked Vehicle No, I received a worse vehicle
Hi Sarah. Thank you for your feedback. I am very sorry to hear of your experience. However, I do have to address the hidden costing you feel were not mentioned when making your reservation. As you mentioned you had booked though a third party which doesn’t list all our packages we supply for our customers. Can you please email our reservation team on res@eccr.com.au providing evidence of the contact number you called and the times as well just so we are aware you were provided the correct contact number. Can you please also attach your rental confirmation email you would have received from Rentalcars.com so we can investigate the matter further. However, I do have to inform you if you have pre-paid your booking you will have to seek compensation through Rentalcars.com themselves as you would have not paid your rental days directly with us. I am very sorry you were not pleased with the customer service you were provided from one of our Managers. I’ll be sure to share your feedback with our customer service manager, and have the poor service addressed.

Car is dirty, Petrol only 1/2 full, customer service staff is not friendly and lack of energy.

Lack of energy and not quite friendly service.
The car is old, dirty and not the same as the picture.
The car was for holiday and it’s ok to drive.
Petrol was half full when we picked it up.

Vehicle TypeToyota Corolla
Received Booked Vehicle No, I received a worse vehicle
Hi there. Thank you for your feedback. I am very sorry you were not pleased with the customer service you were provided. Can you please share you rental agreement to our reservation team on res@eccr.com.au so we can investigate this matter further please?

Don’t bother

Don’t expect them to answer your calls or pick you up on time from the airport. Really poor service, 5km from Sydney airport. 3 staff, 2 customers and still couldn’t provide service

Received Booked Vehicle Yes
Hi Scott. Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry you feel the communication wasn't pleasant during your rental. I'll be sure to share your feedback with our Sydney Airport branch.

Used East Coast Car Rentals when we went to Hobart Tasmania.

Great value for money for a family of eight wanting to have a good look around Tasmania. Would recommend and will use again when we go to Cairns. Thanks very much to East Coast Car Rentals you guys rock

Received Booked Vehicle Yes

So far so good!

Was looked after by Trish today in Sydney. She organised a car with low mileage, chipped the cost down slightly and I got her to clean a floor mat. She then replaced the car after I drove off and discovered the drivers' window wouldn't work. This was all done with a smile and a genuine care factor. Making the one way trek to Melbourne tomorrow and hope I don't need to return to downgrade this review once I reach my destination! Also had a pleasant experience with the shuttle bus driver who collected me from the airport. Didn't get her name, but she was friendly and professional.

Hi there. Thank you for your feedback. We really appreciate it! I'll be sure to share your feedback with our Sydney Branch.So now that the entire experience is complete I can rate properly. Positives - Driver who picked me up from airport was excellent - Trish at Sydney location was friendly and helpful - Car had low mileage and was perfect for what I needed to get me to Melb Negatives - The $300 one way fee is a bit steep. I know this is industry standard. - The $30 daily fee to reduce liability from $4400 to $500 is also expensive. - I was first given a vehicle with a known problem with the driver's side window not working. Your staff knowing I was embarking on a 9 hour drive should know I would need to wind down the window occasionally. 15 min after driving off I noticed the problem and came back. - Upon phoning your Sydney office (a mobile number) it always goes to voicemail. This is the same for your Melbourne office! - The new car I was issued had a filthy driver's side floor mat. Upon asking for it to be cleaned it took convincing for it to be done. It was even suggested I swap it with the passenger seat mat. - I was given the incorrect return address in Melbourne. Your office there is blocked by scaffolding with no name on the outside. My first time driving in Melbourne was made all the more challenging. - I was given directions to your drop off location inside a Wilson car park, where I saw two small signs saying ECCR. Until you become a household name like CBA, I suggest signage should have your full business name. So a few negatives, but nothing major. Probably more a 3-4 star experience, but I'll leave as is.

CAR RENTAL SERVICE BACK TO THE DARK AGES

I booked a Toyota Camry with East Coast Car Rentals at
Hobart Airport in April 2018 for a rental of 8 days commencing 7 February 2019.When I arrived to pick it up I was told a Camry or similar car was not available and the only car available was a Corolla.I said I didn’t want a Corolla and would have booked one if I’d wanted one. I asked to be upgraded to the next class, something that usually happens in these circumstances, but no not at East Coast, they downgrade you not upgrade you. No reduction was offered for having a Corolla and when I asked what reduction I would get was told $20, I said per day and was told that was for the rental period.This was totally unacceptable and I asked to see the manager.She was as unhelpful as her agent but eventually and very grudgingly offered me a discount of $10 a day and said I could take it or leave it and if I didn’t want a Corolla she’d arrange for us to be taken back to the airport to try and get a car from another provider. That didn’t seem a very good option so I had no choice but take the Corolla. The whole experience was very stressful and a bad start to our holiday in Tasmania.
The staff I dealt with at East Coast had no idea customer service and were pretty unpleasant and I will certainly not use them again or recommend them to anyone else.

Vehicle Condition
Vehicle TypeToyota Corolla E180/E170 (2012-2018)
Received Booked Vehicle No, I received a worse vehicle

Never Hire A Car From Here!

Hired a car from here, ended up paying double the cost for the car, they took me to my car and the car they gave me was an old Hyundai, had scratches around the car and the car was just making an annoying sound in the engine.
Third day of having the car, the car broke down on me and just wouldn’t start at all
I saw the road side assistant sticker in the car and called the number on the sticker,
I gave the number plate for the car I had and she told me the car wasn’t in her system and she told Me to call the office but the office was closed at that time.
I called my cousin who lived around the corner from where I broke down, he had a look at the engine and noticed the battery for the car was really really old
I was really disappointed, anyways I left the car there next day I called the office and told them where the car was and they said they were gonna send a toy truck to pick it up
They didn’t mention anything about giving me a refund, so I brought up about my refund and my bond money back
And they took a month just to send my money back to me
Just because I made an effort to annoy them and called them everyday for my money
if I didn’t call for my money they wouldn’t have given my money back
Worse place to hire a car and the worse cars to hire
Dont ever hire from these guys
Its all crap.

Vehicle Condition
Vehicle TypeHyundai Accent LC (2000-2006)
Received Booked Vehicle No, I received a worse vehicle
Hi Roman. Thank you for posting this information. However, I am puzzled as we do not have any Hyundai Accent LC on our fleet. Also our oldest Hyundai Accent we have on fleet is a 2016 model. Please email me on customerservice@eastcoastcarrentals.com.au with your rental agreement number and I'll personally investigate this matter further.

Stay away !!!

Rented car twice got screwed both times. Bond issues, cars all scratches and dents , all crap ! Thought I will give them a second chance, waste of time :((((

Hi Mark. I've very sorry to hear you were not pleased with your rental with East Coast Car Rentals. Can you please email res@eccr.com.au of your Rental Agreement number and I'll investigate further your issues.

Horror start to our holiday

We made the grave mistake of hiring a vehicle from East Coast rentals in Auckland. What an utter nightmare.

We’d placed our order online and requested an 8 seater minivan for pick up at 4:30pm.
We arrived at the office at 5pm to be informed that the vehicle wasn’t available.
We were given the option to wait until 7pm when it would be ready by, or to come back tomorrow.
Waiting with a my wife, father inlaw and my 9, 7 and 7 month old fresh off the plane, waiting until 7pm on the vague promise of the vehicle being ready by then wasn’t viable.
Coming back in the morning when we had 2 hours to drive that night wasn’t acceptable either.
Doing a 4 hour round trip to make up for East Coasts’ stuff up wasn’t exactly an intelligent or appealing suggestion.

They then offered a second vehicle at cost to us…

After a further discussion on the matter, the second vehicle was offered at no extra charge.
Still a very inconvenient solution, but at 6:30pm at night, our options were now limited.

We’d also ordered a seat for our baby.
I’d had several email conversations with East Coast to confirm that the seat would be suitable for my child, and received confirmation that the seat to be provided would be suitable.
Surprise! The seat we received when we arrived was not suitable at all.
When we went back in to discuss this with the attendant, we were informed that that was all they had and they knew it wouldn’t be suitable, but provided it all the same.
Obviously in the hope we’d just take it and leave.
While pondering how to recover from this situation, my father inlaw happened to be looking through the available child restraint seats and actually found one that was appropriate.

At around 7:30pm, the vehicle which we’d ordered was returned.
Proof that East Coast had previously lied about it being ready by 7pm as previously indicated.
We were then informed that the car wouldn’t be ready for another hour if we really wanted to take that one…
We decided to get dinner to feed the kids if this was going to be the case as they were understandably irritable and hungry from the waiting while the car was being prepared, while were were out, it was magically made ready within 10 minutes. More time wasted.

We then set about trying to fit the carseat we’d located to the vehicle.
The seat wasn’t able to be fitted. The straps were not long enough to be fitted to the vehicle.
We managed to jerry rig the seat enough to get us to where we needed to get to and then had to purchase extension straps to secure it properly. $70 out of pocket to purchase something which should have been included in order to provide a legally suitable child safety restraint solution.

I have never encountered a more incompetent business in my life.
In the end, our family was left to stuff around with improper equipment in a substandard situation for 3 hours until the vehicle we’d ordered was returned and then we were left to transport our 7 month old in a child restraint seat which was not able to be legally secured.
An absolute horror start to our holiday. Thank you Eastcoast.

Hi Phil. Thank you for your feedback. We really appreciate it. I am very sorry to hear you were not pleased with your booking with East Coast Car Rentals. It is our number 1 priority to make every customer happy with the vehicle we have provided. However, we have failed on this occasion. Please accept our sincere apologies. I do have to address the issue of your vehicle being late, as the previous customer had agreed to return the vehicle much earlier in order to meet your confirmed booking for 5PM. As a car rental operator, we can only assume that customers will return their vehicle based on what they tell up, but this is not always the case as you have experienced firsthand. So, this has a flow-on effect. Unfortunately, our hands are tied as the customer was unreachable so therefor the waiting period had to be extended. I have contacted our Auckland Manager to have him confirm all baby seats are 100% legal and meet current New Zealand Safety Standards. Having the straps not long enough isn’t questioning the legal state. This is odd however as we have never had this issue raised to us before. We will take this comment on board moving forward.

Worst ever!

Worst car rental company ever! Gave them 1 star because their prices are low and competitive. But what use is that if you don’t actually get a car! They left us stranded at the airport on Xmas day and after being on hold to their number for an hour to arrange a shuttle pick up, they closed the office! Disgusting service and there were 3 other families in the same boat. Never use these guys!

Shocking customer service

Customer service what service?
Bond was not released for a week after Return Of vehicle after being told it would be 24-48hrs.
Called there office only to be told they would look into it and call back never did.
We did get the same vehicle booked, but child's car was not in the car.
Yes it did meet our needs.

Hi Sam. Thank you for your feedback. I am very sorry to hear of your experience. It is disappointing when you do not receive the level of customer experience you were expecting. I'm sorry you were informed incorrectly for your Pre-Authorisation will return withing 48 hours. The banks do advised us to inform customers it will take 5-7 business days.I have never had to wait more than 48hrs with any other car rental companies However it does not change the fact that I would never use nor recommend your company to anyone

East Coast Cairns, Best By Far!!

We have used the Cairns office for the last eight years and find the service excellent. everything goes as explained, re the Bond etc. they also give you ample time to check the car for any blemishes before you take it, so you are not charged for something missed on the inspection. You can only review on your personal experience with the company and ours is great! Roll on this year. I ask for a Suzuki, as I love them and get one every time, no problem. I told three of my friends and they used East Coast Cairns on their holidays, no complaints!!

Absolutely excellent all round

We collected our vehicle (a fairly new Corolla) from the downtown Brisbane office, which was quiet and friendly. All was made very easy. We then drove the car for almost six weeks, with a super-efficient drop-off at Brisbane airport. The only very minor problem was an out-of-date GPS satnav, for which we were readily refunded. Cannot speak highly enough of East Coast Car Rentals. Great value and great service.

Hi Sean! Thank you for your feedback! We really appreciate it. We do hope to see you in the near future.

Avoid this rental car company!

We rented a car in Launceston for one day. We were led to believe the car could be picked up and dropped off at Launceston airport. As it turned out it was located 1.5ks up the road

The car was very run down with dents and scratches all over. The boot was due to damage very difficult to close. The windows were also dirty on the inside.

When we picked up the car the staff manually wrote on our documentation that the car had a full tank and crossed out the printed wording that stated tank was not full.

I did not think to check, but trusted the company. We did 60ks in total and when we filled up the car prior to returning to the office, it turned out the car had not been re-fuelled and we had to buy 11 litres. When we informed staff, they said there was nothing they could do because the computer entries were locked and could not be amended from one day to the next. I informed them we picked up the car this very day, they then said this was our problem we should have checked the fuel level ourselves when we picked up the car. Staff was extremely rude and very unprofessional and the car was in anything but a good condition. We will never use East Coast Rentals again.

Hi John. Thank you for offering your feedback here on product review. While not entirely accurate we have taken this information on board.

Great price and fast pickup

Great east to work with . Don't push upgrades on you. Cars new and work well. Clean and no odours.

Hi Dave! Thank you for your feedback! We're happy the vehicle we have provided for your rental had met your standards. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Good service

Good customer services, vehicle was ok, met our requirements.
We paid for insurance when we booked online, that apparently wasn’t through East Coast car rentals but the online company we used online, I wasn’t aware of that.
Would definitely use again,

Hi Gogs! Thank you for your feedback. We're happy your were pleased with your rental. Hope to see you in the near future.

Best price, nice car and Excellent service.

Great customer service with good condition of car, pickup and drop off from the Cairns airport around 5-10 minutes, Staffs were friendly. I rented a car during 28th December 2018 - 4th January 2019 and after I send a car back with good condition I received my bond money just in the same day.

Happy to choose East Coast Car Rentals again next time.

Hi Pitt! Thank you for your feedback. We are happy you were pleased with your rental. I will share your feedback with our Cairns branch. Hope to see you in the near future!

Total Fraud company

I pre-booked my car and paid them in advance through the third party agent rentalcars.com. My flight got delayed and despite informing them over phone in advance they gave my car to someone else just because they could get better money elsewhere and got a chance to do so. Their staff and management is very rude and totally irresponsible. Stay away from these scamsters.

Hi there. I'm sorry you feel this way. If you would like to give us a call, we can look into the circumstances surrounding your feedback.I have wasted half of my day from my holidays talking to your people and personally visited them, their response was pathetic. Why don’t you have a look at the circumstances first and then give me a call and meanwhile I’ll explore my options. You have my contact detailsThank you for your reply. As your profile only has a first name, we can not locate a reservation. Please contact reservation at res@eccr.com.au with more details and we can look into your booking. Thank you.