4.6 from 5,574 reviews

See the Best Car Hire Services in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

4,576

We hired a car from Launceston for 13 days. Staff were great, we examined the car together to ensure we all agreed on existing damage. Rental charge was very reasonable and included insurance. There was a small excess liability but this was covered by our travel insurance. We returned the car with no issues.

Would use again and definitely recommend. BTW they only have white cars in the Launceston depot.

Vehicle TypeHyundai Accent

Scheming

Lord Lucan

Looks like more of the same scaremongering to add insurance sales

I took my 3 children down to Sydney after an extended period of ill health with my middle child.
I was met with a quite scripted lady who tried her best to scare me into buying an insurance premium.
After I declined the insurance cover I was met with a condescending attitude and told that will be $1000 bond please and your bank may hold this bond for up to 4 weeks. I am in the bank right now and 100% been told that Suncorp do NOT hold this money it is east coast cars that have a hold on my money. Total shonks. Stay well clear.

Lord Lucan

I have not been given a cancellation receipt as this is the first I have heard of such a thing.
Suncorp assured me 100% that East Coast rentals are holding my money. This is a common theme with East Coast I think

Michael

MichaelGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

What I Hoped For

After shopping around online for a hire car to use in far north Queensland I decided to book a Suzuki Swift with East Coast Car Hire in Cairns. The staff were very friendly and informative, the car was reliable, ran well and very economical. Furthermore, the close proximity to the airport coupled with the airport courtesy bus made for an excellent experience. I will most certainly use the services of East Coast Car Rentals again in the future wherever possible.

Vehicle TypeSuzuki Swift

East Coast Car Rental

Unexpectedly Off site, not made clear beforehand, so you have to wait for the shuttle bus. The bus is always 10 minutes away so you dont panic but end up waiting half an hour.
They frighten you about freezing $1000 for excess then say if you pay extra the excess reduces and they dont freeze your money.
Read the small print and put up with being manipulated.

Vehicle TypeToyota Corolla

Terrible Service

When booking East Coast Car Rental off webjet, they made no mention that the branch was 4 km from the airport. We waited ages for the shuttle only to be met by an extremely rude man when we arrived. Eventually we just left and got an Uber to the hotel. Never again.

Jonathan

JonathanMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Double dipping and dodgy

My sister hired a car for my wife and I from Sunshine Coast airport and purchased the insurance required to make the booking. Before allowing us to take the car the manager was rude and condescending, He told us that we had 2 choices for more insurance. Give $1000 bond on our credit card or pay $25 a day after he refused to look at the proof of the insurance we thought we already had.They used exactly the same script on a family behind us who also thought they had insurance already.We felt ripped off by this company and we and our family will not be using them ever again.

Katelin B.East Coast Car Rentals

I was very impressed with the service at the Gold Coast office.

The shuttle driver who pick me up and dropped me off was such an amazing person, so friendly and helpful. The office staff were friendly and professional. The car was a great car to drive and was very clean. Definitely highly recommended and will definitely be using east coast for any future hires

Upset Customer

Upset Customer

Melbourne Tullamarine branch was amazing!!

Hired a car online through Eastcoast website with ease and found the shuttle waiting and driver was very friendly.
Picked up the car from the Melbourne branch and the car was perfect and extremely tidy, staff were friendly and accomodating.
No unecessary bond taken as we opted to pay insurance which made the process enjoyable!
Have already booked with Eastcoast for our upcoming trip!

Received Booked Vehicle No, I received a better vehicle
Katelin B.East Coast Car Rentals

Hello there! Thank you for your feedback. I have shared your feedback with our Melbourne branch and they are thrilled to hear your kind words.

Over Charge and poor customer service

We waited nearly 30 minutes at Gold coast airport for their shuttle to arrive.. and after few weeks of rental they charged me $75 just for forwarding a parking fine. I will never use them again..how on earth you charge #75 just for forwarding a parking fine.

Farid UddinSydney, NSW

Dishonest and poor customer service.

We went to Melbourne to attend a business meeting and hired a car from East Coast through Jetstar Airlines. We used around 120-130 KM, we were in the rush to catch our return flight and did not fill the fuel as its a matter of a couple of litres. When we returned the car they claimed 33 litres, $111 for fuel. We denied to pay and went to a nearby fuel station, it took 7 litres petrol around $11 to fill the tank. A lady (Vicky) in the customer service even did not say sorry and her reaction seemed its a normal matter. Dishonest and poor customer service.

Vehicle TypeHolden Equinox EQ

Hello Farid!
Thank you for your feedback. I have spoken with our Melbourne Airport Manager and she has informed me it was miscommunicated, and it was mistaken by our employee. We do apologise for the inconvenience of human error.

Farid Uddin

What do you mean by miscommunication? Your employee checked in the computer, prepared invoice and claimed me the fake amount. She did not even say sorry. What do you mean by human error????

Megan W.

Megan W.South East Queensland, QLD

Great rates, friendly staff.

Recently hired from the Adelaide airport (Richmond) and cannot fault them.
The shuttle from airport was prompt, the staff were very friendly and informative. The car was clean and in great condition. We booked a 7 seater and got a Hyuandai iLoad. The fuel economy was a nice surprise. I was concerned their lower rates would mean low quality cars and service but I was impressed with it all. Our destination was 2 hours out of Adelaide so the unlimited mileage was a big plus.

Vehicle Condition
Vehicle TypeHyundai iLoad TQ-V (2008-Present)

Hello Megan.
Thank you for your feedback, we really appreciate it! I'll be sure to pass this onto our Adelaide Airport and I can confirm they'll be very grateful for your kind words.

Kind Regards, Katelin.

Dianne D

Dianne DSouth East Queensland, QLD

Disgusting staff

When I had a problem with my rental car and rang Lloyd at Eastcoast Car Rental he told me to f*&%k off. Disgusting service. Will never use this company again. I work in accommodation and now tell all our guests not to use this East Coast Car Rentals. Lloyd you lost yourself thousand of dollars a year through your bad attitude. Car was filthy and half full when picked up. Found syringe under seat.

Vehicle TypeToyota Camry

Wisey

Wisey

Bad from start to finish.

Pickup from Sydney afer nearly 1hour , no apologies or excesses We left the airport traffic was light !!!!! Then on arrival at car pickup asked to pay $1000 deposit before you could take a car if you did not take out their insurance!!! It was almost blackmail !!! When we went back to drop car off the service was just as bad .

Vehicle TypeToyota Corolla
Disappointed customer

Disappointed customerNorthern Region, NSW

DO NOT HIRE FROM THIS COMPANY

Hi there.
Thank you for your feedback we really appreciate it. This matter was brought to our attention on Sunday and we are investigating this matter further. We are awaiting feedback from our Sydney Airport Manager regarding this response.

Hi Katelin,
I took this complaint to the head office. I initially received a response saying it was being further investigated however upon trying to get an update on the progress of my complaint I have received no further contact.

Rahmanul R.Northern Region, NSW

Commendable service

The service which we got in Melbourne airport was too good. The shuttle arrived in time to pick us up, the car was ready when we got there, everything was perfect. But we got the total opposite service at Sydney airport.

Hi Rahmanul.
Thank you for your feedback. We are pleased you were happy with our customer service in Melbourne. Can you please contact us on customerservice@eastcoastcarrentals.com.au regarding the service you were presented at Sydney Airport.

Hi Katelin. Email sent.

Cheap for a reason. Ends up expensive

Getting car took ages. Booked hyundai i20 and got Kia Rio. Not sure if i20 would have been better but the car was terrible. Dirty. Clutch sucked and (despite usually driving manual daily) we stalled several times. They charge extra $4 fee on top of each toll you pay. Airport drop-off not near airport and you have to be early to make sure you will get to terminal on time

Vehicle TypeKia Rio

KenSydney, NSW

Prepare for the hard up-sell

Paul M

Paul Mtraveller

Excellent experience

I was nervous because of the bad reviews but my experience at the Hendra office was friendly, professional and seamless, my time was tight owing to a family funeral and a flight from Mackay to Brisbane and back again, pick up and drop off was great, office was efficient and car was very good, will use again, thanks East Coast.

Vehicle TypeHyundai Accent

Prakash S.

Prakash S.Sydney, NSW

Worst place to rent your car from

Vehicle TypeSuzuki Grand Vitara

Hi Prakash.
Thank you for your review. I am very sorry to hear of your experience. Can you please email customerservice@eastcoastcarrentals.com.au with your rental agreement number so we can investigate this matter further.