• Rates and Fees

Customer service??

Have waited close to two weeks for a simple email response about my first bill and still no reply. Not giving me the greatest amount of confidence with this company

May E.Sydney, NSW

daylight robbery

Energy trade is daylight robbery because before a building is completed they make that building's energy with their company and when people move in they have no choice unless pay $300 to change their company and this is really daylight robbery. and their rate is too high.

ServicesElectricity
May E.

i called energy trade and said i want to be with AGL because my gas is with them but i was told if i want to change to any other company i have to pay $300 so i did not change.

Enforcer
EnforcerSydney, NSW

Nervous

I am about to move into an apartment and have been informed that I'll have to connect to Energy Trade as my electricity, gas + hot water supplier. I wasn't aware of this until I paid my holding deposit for the apartment.

I've compared the rates to my origin energy bills and they are significantly higher. Absolute scam charging for hot water by the litre. And also the daily charge for gas cook top. What the heck is that about? Hope they get done by Fair trading.

I'm not looking forward to the bills.

Bryan
BryanSydney Surrounds, NSW

Trap.

This sordid operation preys on captive customers, numerous double charges for the same invoice. If you live in an apartment you do not have fair access to any other energy provider and as a result this company can do as they wish with you financially because you have no option. it's a black hole.

ZOEY
ZOEY

One Star is being generous

Disconnected services asked for a final bill to be emailed. I asked for the direct debit to be removed; I was charged a hefty fee of $21.90 plus my bank fees.

Kathy L.Energy Trade

Best Internet & Mobile Phone Service Providers in 2020!

Wendy Z.22 Nov 2019
best-internet-and-mobile-phone-service-providers-in-2020
Angelina Eager
Angelina EagerSydney, NSW

Wish I could give zero stars

Disgustingly overpriced, no choice to switch to another provider in my building. Error with my bill being charged twice and refused to refund me, instead just told me they would add it on to the next bill so I'm now down $200 for a month. Paid less than $150 per person for 3 people per quarter at our last rental, now paying $200 a month combined. Based on these pathetic, impersonal replies from their team on each of these reviews they obviously don't really care about these reviews because it's not like we can change providers anyway without breaking our lease! Would never have signed this lease if this was the case, didn't find out we had to go with energytrade until we moved in. Never again.

Kathy L.Energy Trade

While embedded networks get a bad rap usually, EnergyTrade is a huge excemption. 5/5 Stars.

Hi Justin,
Thank you so much for the fantastic review. It has been a pleasure dealing with you.

PrasannaCSydney, NSW

Energy Fraud

Sirima C.
Sirima C.Northern Region, NSW

Over charge for water bill

I live just 2 people but the bill come every month more than $100+ and include water charge more than $60 every month for 2 people.
Could i report with fair trading?

M LamSydney, NSW

Energy Trade - HOT WATER SOOOO EXPENSIVE AND SUCH A RIP OFF!!! Do not use!

We moved into a new apartment block and were not informed about the building being under Energy Trade, first bill was for $75 for 2 weeks where we hadn’t even moved in and second bill for a full month is $120. Our previous bills were $60 for 3 months for water. This is insane and an absolute rip off!! How do we get out of this contract or leave this building !!

Very expensive

I’m so disappointed.
I use gas electricity and hot water with energy trade.
I moved into this apartment 2 months ago.
I didn’t have any idea that I have to stick
With energy trade. As the agent didn’t let me know about that. I used to use origin energy for 5 years. I’m living alone here and I received 2 bills the first one$100 for 3 weeks and the second $131 for a whole month. It’s really really expensive.
In my previous apartment for 2 people i used to pay 440 for 3 months. For 2 people. And now I’m just living alone and I pay 131 for 1 month by myself? It’s literally a rip off . I’m trying to break my lease and get out of this building and away from energy trade! I can’t afford paying so expensive bills.

Kaveh S.
Kaveh S.Sydney, NSW

you can trust them to provide you with the best rates in the market.

Our place is connected to the network via Energy Trade and I am quite happy with their services. We have never experienced any dropout and first installment was easy to manage and fast.

Hi Kaveh,
Thank you so much for the lovely review. We appreciate you taking the time.

Altana45
Altana45Sydney, NSW

Refer to the ombudsmen and ACCC

kratov
kratovSydney, NSW

A NEW TYPE OF MONOPOLY.

John
John

Not good not bad

Gas supply charges are on the high side however electricity charges are reasonable. Hoping the bills wont come high given most aplliances have 7 star energy ratings and that they wont hike up their prices exorbitantly

Kathy L.Energy Trade

Thanks John, you are incredibly lucky if your property has 7 star ratings on all appliances as that is rare. It will certainly save you some money.
Regards,

PrasannaCasked

Hi everyone,
I was with EnergyTrade in my previous unit for electricity only, the bills seemed somewhat expensive but I didn't think much about it. Now, I moved to a new unit and here it's EnergyTrade for everything (electricity+gas+"HOT WATER"). The idea of charging for hot water per litre seems like a scam to me. I haven't got my first bill yet but after reading all these reviews I fear that I'm in for the worst (Guys! Please don't laugh...)

Now, my questions are
1. What can be done about this (EnergyTrade) legally? Apart from moving out which doesn't solve it.

2. Did anyone made complaints to the Energy & Water Ombudsman NSW (https://www.ewon.com.au/page/making-a-complaint/complaint-forms), If yes, what was their response?

3. If this many customers are unhappy with something, then I definitely think that should be solved. Should we all sign a petition against EnergyTrade? Would it achieve anything?

4. How does this kind of company is allowed to prosper (charge per litre hot water) ? No regulation, and compliance. Who allowed it to happen? Who can change it?

5. Why don't they charge per Mj instead by calulating a standard such as how many Mj is used to heat one litre or comparing to normal standards around the country. I guess this would make more sense because we are getting charged twice for water.

And finally, I will provide a review once I get my first bill. In the meantime, everyone please provide your opinions. I very much appreciate your time.

Hi Prasanna,
Thank you for posting your questions online. My apologies there has been a delay in responding but I had not noticed any comments in Q&A.
With your new property, your electricity is charged the same as it was previously and our rates for electricity daily supply and consumption reduced on 1 September 2020 and we are competitive with the big 4 retailers.
1. Energy Trade is partnered with Energy Locals, an authorised electricity retailer. Together we look after your energy supply including delivering energy to your home/business, connections and disconnections, billing and payments and supporting customers who need assistance. This arrangement will provide you with greater customer protection in line with the AER's energy market rules.
2. Energy Trade is held to all AER guidelines and energy market rules; allowing any of our customers to complain if they feel we have not met their expectations in some way. The Ombudsman will want to know that we’ve worked together to try and resolve the issue as best as possible and will refer you to our customer service team if we have not been contacted us before.
3. Energy Trade has 1000’s of happy customers but we have never paid or incentivised customers to leave comments online.
4. We understand that a community energy network is something most residents have never been part of in previous properties. We are regulated and follow strict compliance guidelines in line with AER’s energy market rules.
5. While you receive a water bill from your water supplier (Sydney Water), it does not include hot water supply and usage charges. Your building’s Energy Trade community hot water & gas network heats and supplies the water to your apartment.
Prasanna, I encourage you to contact me to discuss your concerns. Please email billing@energytrade.com.au with the subject heading Att Kathy or call 1300 001 255 and ask for me.

PrasannaC

I am okay with the EnergyTrade's electricity service in my previous unit and current unit. But, the hot water, that is a whole different issue which I'm definitely not liking so far and all my comments, questions are regrading only the hot water service and billing. You mentioned that Energy Trade has 1000's of happy customers, I bet none of them are getting "hot water" bill from EnergyTrade.

I don't think any of the large energy retailers charge per litre of hot water for the centralized hot water service. for example, as for Origin and AGL, I found out that they only charge for the amount of gas used to heat the water. Do you still think this is in line with the AER? I would never think that AER would allow something like this. Is EnergyTrade a member of Energy & Water Ombudsman NSW?

Is the hot water metering in line with the metering standards followed nationwide? How does the hot water billing works when the consumer using tepid, slightly warm, and hot water? the amount of gas consumed is not same for all temperatures.

I specifically searched in my friends circles in the same area to find a reasonably comparable usage in everything (electricity, gas, hot water). I compared my energy bills with them and guess what, their three month (gas) bill equals my one month (gas+hot water). Do you still think this is competitive?

This system is disadvantageous if someone needs to claim gas rebates as the billing is not in Mj. Why should someone lose out on energy rebates, especially during present COVID-19 situation.

As I mentioned earlier, I have not received my first bill yet but I calculated the bill using the consumption data. I will comment once I get the bill

Hi Prasanna,
*Almost twice as many of our sites have gas, electricity & hot water.
*You are correct that most companies do not charge in litres; this tends to be a feature of embedded networks.
*Energy Trade is partnered with Energy Locals, an authorised electricity retailer. Together we look after your energy supply including delivering energy to your home/business, connections and disconnections, billing and payments and supporting customers who need assistance. This arrangement will provide you with greater customer protection in line with the AER's energy market rules. We are answerable to the AER and EWON as with other retailers and all of our customers are afforded the same protections.
*If your hot water is mixed with cold water, it will use less hot water. If you had a mixer tap set to the middle; you would use roughly 50% hot and 50% cold water so one litre of warm water in this instance would use only 500ml of hot water. With a Gas or Electricity heated hot water system, you use more heated water, the hotter the water is; the principle is the same.
*Are you calculating consumption through My Account?
*Unfortunately, you are right and it is not possible to claim the gas rebate. We are always pushing for changes in the guidelines to afford our customers the same benefits as they may have enjoyed previously.
Warm regards,

Bhargavi T.
Bhargavi T.asked

Did anybody changed their service provider from energy trade to other?

Richard C
Richard C

No. The only way to change is to move to another place, unless you or the owner is prepared to pay for a new meter, you are locked in.

Get an answer from our members and Energy Trade representatives