Origin Energy
1.3 from 1,671 reviews

1,434

Guruparan D.

Guruparan D.South East Queensland, QLD

Delay in Refund for incorrect charges

Anonymous762

Anonymous762Victoria

Origin is an energy company with quite good customer service...I feel that they could improve in some areas though...

Origin E.Origin

No transparency, very bad customer service

Origin E.Origin

No electricity for my family due to their mistake.

Origin E.Origin

No transparency, bad practice and customer service !!!

We moved and closed the Origin energy account, then I paid the final bill on time. Surprisingly, another updated bill was received after one month requesting me to pay an extra charge. The account was closed already, and they have charged a special meter reading fee, suppose the final bill should be based on actual reading, but they said no! It was an estimation only!!! So, why they charged a special meter reading fee??? Also, the bill was updated after one month, and we already moved out, who knows it only includes the electricity consumption of my family?
*** It is important to take a photo of your meter when you close the account. ***
*** Don't join Origin if you are not a customer yet ***

Oldenglish

OldenglishLithgow

MADE AN ERROR AND NOW CHARGE ME FOR THEIR MISTAKES

Dharmik

DharmikSouth East Queensland, QLD

Origin - Online portal Rock

What a great cutting edge technology to check daily electricity cost. I have to admin Origin portal offer 100% transparency to consumers. We been with Origin since 2009 and will continue. Well Done

Origin E.Origin

Thanks so much for the 5 stars. We're so happy to hear how useful is our online service for you. And Dharmik, YOU rock! - Anju.

SachinGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Bunch of thieves

They are a bunch of thieves masquerading as an energy company. They sent me a $500 bill after one month of signing up, I realised they never took an initial meter read (estimated it - whatever the hell that means) but only took the actual end of month meter read and decided I had used a lot of gas. When I asked them how could they estimate the initial meter read they didn't have an answer, said they will email me a reference number (which they didn't) and their dispute resolution team will get in touch with me (which never happened). A few days later, they sent me another email demanding I pay up and threatening legal action. Thugs.

Origin E.Origin

Hi Sachin, we're sorry to hear about the troubles you faced trying to get your accounts set up with AGL. We can see that we're currently liaising with you through Facebook messenger. We'll assist you further with this on there. Thanks - Jen.

Laura

LauraMelbourne

Quick and simple

I used Origin energy for my investment property during the leasing process. Was quick and easy to connect and disconnect at short notice. Fast and efficient service, with friendly customer service staff.

Origin E.Origin

Hi Laura, thanks so much for taking the time to provide us with such great feedback! It's always nice to hear when we're doing a good job. If there's ever anything we can help with, please don't hesitate to get in touch :) Cheers - Jen.

Origin Australia... hopeless

I have been waiting for my solar and off peak hot water meter for over 3 months and everytime I call to follow up, I am put to 300 different department and have to explain my case to all of them.. i have raised the issue with 2 different team supervisors and nothing has come out of it... I'm still waiting and in the mean while my electricity bill is through the roof... the worst service and the worst communication EVER ... as soon as this is resolved, I will be moving elsewhere... don't want to deal with them anymore

MariaSydney, NSW

Time to move to another company

I have been with Origin energy for many year for my electricity supply and pay money every week into my account so I am never in arrears. They have never had a problem reading my meter And my bills are around $400., until this quarter when they sent a letter saying they had a scheduling issue with reading the meter and they estimated my bill ( based on past usage) at $1,100. This is causing great stress to me as I live in a unit and cant get access to the meter to check this but thankfully my contract is up next month and after this I wont be staying with them.

Simone

SimoneGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Overcharged and Stuck due to Embedded Network

Since the building I live in switched from OC Energy to the incredibly inept company, Origin, my bills for a relatively small one bedroom apartment has tripled and I can't switched suppliers due to the embedded network system. Their customer service is appalling; rude and no assistance provided at all. They charge me for electricity I don't use - my meter reading went from 680lts for a QR to 2620lts for one month and apparently so has everyone else in my building. We are all charged the same usage of 2620lts, every single apartment charged the same! How is this allowed? Example of costing since having to use this horrible company - hot water previously for a QR - $22; with Origin for one month $65! Stay away from Origin!!!

nic

nicBrisbane

Forcing direct debit onto customers

They are forcing there customers to change to direct debit if you wish to get any discount above 9%. As a long time customer who has never missed or been late on any payment it leaves a dirty taste in your mouth. We are not children , we can manage our own payments thanks.
Yet another customer you have lost!!

Jed64AU

Don't believe what you see

So Origin Energy have this "wonderful" thing I can view in my account on their website and app that shows info about my current billing period including my Cost to date, average daily cost and predicted bill. All the info changes every few days. Great thing right? Wrong, so wrong. After much back and fro communication I've now found out this isn't based on current information downloaded from my smart meter. It's actually based on past bills and is in no way reflective of my current usage. Very deceptive Origin Energy. Not happy

Hou L.

Hou L.

Charge me 150dollars reconnection fee when i move into a new property.

So surprise about those amount of money been charged. Definitely going to complain on fair trade. For gas they charge me 10 dollars extra for some other things as well. Totally scam!

Origin E.Origin

Hi Hou, thanks for bringing these charges to our attention. So that we can clear up what these charges were for, can you please email us your Product Review, along with your account details to supportsocial@originenergy.com.au? Thanks Jen.

Damian

DamianNew South Wales

Mistake, followed by poor customer service has lost us

Beware of this company. After years of being a loyal and proactive paying customer Origin made an error in their invoicing to us charging us for two gas cylinders when we only ever order one at a time. After being assured by 2 seperate customer service officers everything had been rectified my wife was called last week and informed our account has been frozen. Our only saving grace is that we've been revovating our home for the past 2 months and not in need of the gas.....but once we move back in a few weeks as a result of their arrogance and lack of customer service regarding what should have been a simple issue to rectify we'll move to another supplier. A customer lost for life here.

Very poor billing practices - do not trust Origin

I had both electricity and gas bills with origin. The first issue I had was two payments I made through their website were missed by origin. I sent through copies of the payments and initially they said they would only accept transaction numbers. We pushed the point and they then accepted our bank statements as evidence. The second issue is we have now been billed for gas on an account that was closed in August. I rang them about it and they said it appeared closed. I asked what I should do with the bill and they told me to call back another day because that department was closed and he did not know what to do. It has been very hard to engage them and understand why repeated billing issues occur.

Worst company every!

Unsafe

UnsafeNew South Wales

Unhelpful/hypocritical

Origin E.Origin

The service was fast and efficient

Very helpful and great service. Same day connection. Would recommend to others.
Connected 1 hour later was expecting a day to three day wait. If you want efficiency go through origin

Origin E.Origin

Hi Liz, thank you for the great feedback and we hope that the move all went through nice and smoothly for you. Cheers - Kirk.

Chonitom

Chonitomasked

Ive been waiting 17days for final account to be issued they're credited back all my payments and shows I owe money from Nov 2018 I am chatting to them online each day asking whens Ill it be finalised and am being told there is a technical issue/glitch and they don't have a time frame - I just want this sorted and done as Im over stressing and waiting for the new account to be issued. Ive been with origin for years and of late theyve really disappointing to deal with I just want our final bill issued.

Origin E.Origin

Hi Chonitom, we're sorry to hear that you're still waiting on your final bill. So that we can get this out to you once and for all, can you please email us your Product Review to supportsocial@originenergy.com.au, along with your account details? Thanks - Jen.

Echo Xiaopeiwen L.

Echo Xiaopeiwen L.asked

I will tell all my friends and families, get away from Origin Energy because they disgusting and hopeless!
I was defaulted if two bills without any notices, and both of them I have paid already. I found out I am on the default list last Thursday because I need to get my Home Load ready for a property settlement 31st October 2019. Two defaults caused a lot of trouble for my credit. I contacted Origin asked them to remove my name out of the list, told by the recoveries department it takes 5-10 business days, seriously??? Then I asked for a formal letter declaring that I have paid all bills, told it takes 5 business to issue the letter, and the department who issue the letter do not have a phone number, Seriously?! What a joke that a department who is handling such an important thing do not have a contact number??? I explained how urgent my situation is and requested the letter next Monday, still told it takes 5 business days, cold, irresponsible, helpless.
I was spending hours on the phone with Origin, every time I have to wait at least 30mins to get transferred to the right department!!
Worst customer service ever!!!
If I have to delay my settlement because of Origin did not issue the formal letter before next Tuesday, I will raise a legal action against Origin for any outstanding fees. And this is all because of Origin faults.
Happy to provide my account number, so maybe you can actually do something for me? 200030906891, 200025110384, my email: [email removed]

Origin E.Origin

We understand the urgency of this matter and how important it is to get the problem solved before the settlement date. We've responded to your review and will be waiting for your email. Please don't provide your personal details here as it's available for public to see. Thanks - Anju.

Jed64asked

Hi,
I would like to know how the predicted bill on my internet dashboard works. I have a smart meter so it changes every couple of days. Last quarter it was showing a predicted bill of around $186 the whole time, which would be inline with past bills as I have 24 Solar panels. Then on the last day it jumped to nearly $600!!. The final bill was $570 after discounts and solar feed in credits. I queried with Origin but they assure me it's correct. I am gobsmacked as this quarter we had one less person in the house and no washing machine. This bill showed usage of over 130% more than we have ever used in the years I've been with Origin.

Origin E.Origin

Hi Jed, the predicted bill is calculated from the usage data that we receive through from your meter (plus supply charge). That is quite a sudden jump, and something that we'd like to look into a little more for you to see why this occurred. If you could send us an email through to supportsocial@originenergy.com.au (with reference to this message), and we'll dissect the usage data to find out why and how this happened. Thanks - Kirk.

Get an answer from our members and Origin representatives

CategoryEnergy Providers