Origin Energy

• Rates and Fees

miranda k.

miranda k.Illawarra, NSW

Awful

I spent half an hour on the phone trying to explain that my payments were not calculated correctly and I was owed money. What a waste of time. Seems to be able to understand you if you owe them money but not if it is the other way around. Do not waste your time with this service.

Gai

GaiCanberra Airport 2609, ACT

Very sneaky high prices

Sile b.

Sile b.Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

no good

suddenly unable tu check ussage,, rang call center meny times,,, they are somewhare in Asia, everyone said different advice,,, never will be Origin customer
Now with AGL , much better.
Easy to understand Engish

Origin E.Origin

Hi Sile, we're disappointed to hear about the poor experience you've had and that you've left us. Please email us at supportsocial@originenergy.com.au, if you need anything in the future and we'll be happy to help. Thanks - Sneha.

Tim

TimWollongong

Origin Spike hour

Origin E.Origin

Hi Tim, thank you for your feedback and we certainly hear you. So that we can look into this further, please copy an above message and email us at supportsocial@originenergy.com.au, along with your account info. Thanks - Sneha.

Very helpful thankyou.

We changed plan today and got information about prices for my solar about to be installed.
BTW. In the menu to chose which department it did not recognise any number I pressed.

Origin E.Origin

Thank you for 5 stars Sindy. we'd like to apologise for an issue with choosing a department. There may've been an issue with our IVR at the time, however we've passed on the feedback to relevant team. Have a good day. Cheers - Sneha.

Rubaiyat M.

Rubaiyat M.Sydney, NSW

Absolute joke of a service!

This is a fourth world service, worse than the third world country we came from. They failed to keep their promise to connect us with electricity. No electricity at all!

Origin E.Origin

Hi Rubaiyat, we're sorry to hear about your experience and that your power isn't connected. Please shoot us an email at supportsocial@originenergy.com.au, along with your connection details, so that we can get this sorted for you. Thanks - Sneha.

MarkSouth East Queensland, QLD

Refill LPG tank at new house

I moved in to a new place a week ago and have been trying to get the empty LPG tanks refilled. Have made numerous phone calls but still can't get a date for when the refill will occur. They keep passing my refill request on to their contractor and I hear nothing back until I call the next day to enquire. I have a family which includes a 6 month old baby so it is making life very difficult! Surely if you are running a business to refill LPG gas bottles, there would be a schedule and I could get an idea of when the delivery will occur?

Mark

Has been resolved now, thanks

Origin E.Origin

Perfect! we're glad to know it's been resolved Mark. Please let us know if you need anything else. Cheers - Sneha.

Getting Woolworths everyday rewards points for every $1 I spend on my elec & gas bills.

Cheap rates and I find the app really easy to use. Predicts my elec bills every quarter which means I know how much I should be putting away each week.

Origin E.Origin

Hi Ell, thanks for the 5 stars. Thanks - Kylie.

simmo

simmoGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Issues adding new bank for direct debit due to BSB not in Origin's database.

Thanks to Brad for his callback and for taking care of an issue where my new bank account couldn't be added for a lengthy period of time, multiple calls and emails to get this resolved.
His professionalism and ability to follow this up with a return phone call has somewhat improved my view of Origin, however, it was a shame it was such a convoluted process to get this added.

Very clear explaining.

Very helpful consultant. This was a follow up to an enquiry regarding a new electricity contract. Very clearly explained everything regarding a renewal of an electricity contract. Many thanks for your assistance.

Origin E.Origin

That's great to know, thank you for choosing Origin and the amazing feedback! - Nomi

Ripped off.

I turned my hot water and electricity off at same time days after I received invoice for electricity a month later a received invoice for hot water with a very confusing invoice where the apparently went back till last financial year to charge me a different amount as apparently rates changed than but funny enough same did not happen with electricity. Will never use or endorse this company again.

Origin E.Origin

Why do I have to choose every year?

Once you could choose Origin and let the account run indefinitely. Now you get financially penalised if you don't choose every year, when they already know your best plan. Hopeless!!!

RevIII
RevIII

Never use Origin gas

I had an account with Origin gas LPG for years. I have moved and asked to have my large cylinder removed, this didn’t happen until weeks after the new owners moved in. I returned almost a full tank around $500 and I’m still waiting for the credit 4 months later. I have rung several times, been given the run around with promised emails and returned calls from so called managers. Still no credit, will never ever use them again. Appalling lack of service.

Origin E.Origin

Hi Lesley, send those details through to supportsocial@originenergy.com.au. We're going to need to ask for some personal details that we don't want listed here. Thanks - Brad

Lesley

I have sent these details but it’s not a valid email address

BJC

BJCSouth East Queensland, QLD

Extortion of customers

Julie A

Julie AMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Billing Error fixed smoothly and quickly.

There was a problem with a credit balance not being transferred to my new account as promised. When I identified this and raised it with Origin it was fixed immediately.

Origin E.Origin

Hi Julie, thanks for the lovely feedback and the five stars. Cheers - Padma.

heather

heatherQueensland

out of gas offers after hrs deliveries FALSE ADVERTISING

out of gas called up and booked an out of hrs delivery all good told will be done tomorrow Sat. Waited nothing called back sorry no delivery till Monday no one rang to tell me, my phone shows them scheduled delivering wed on the app, asked them to try again no, no deliveries being done over the weekend. Bad service and false advertising. Person I spoke to didn't care we had no hot water and they don't call the delivery people they send a message and wait for a reply. Was told they can't make phone calls inter departments. In this day and age this is not good enough. Will be going elsewhere.

Bradley B.

Bradley B.Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

Aggressive customer service tactics

Sales people aim to intimidate you into switching to their company.

Absolutely rude, corner you in shopping centres. These tactics should be banned, disgusting.

There’s a reason why they’re so aggressive they’re losing people because they’re a terrible company and they’re terrible at selling it.

Paul L.

Paul L.Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

Switching to Solar with origin has been a terrible experience

When I switched to solar I was put on the worst plan possible, even though I had called and specifically been told my rates would stay the same, I would still have the same discount, and I was on the best plan possible. Didn't get a bill for six months to find the rates I was given were worse than anything I could find on their website. Add to this they changed me for nearly twice as much electricity than I was actually using. They've fixed the first problem at least - took a good month and a half - and after chasing up constantly. They still haven't looked into the fact that they are charging me for electricity I haven't used. I've gone to the SA ombudsman to hopefully get someone to sort it out. Not good enough.

Alonso

AlonsoSouth East Queensland, QLD

Appalling service

Wish we had checked these Product review before using Origin energy for gas delivery. We ordered a replacement late on Tuesday and promised delivery Thursday. Deliver truck did not try to contact us when at Secuity gates, although we were home all day. We phoned when notified it was being rescheduled and told it would be Friday. Then Friday notified it had been rescheduled for 4 days time, Tuesday. Phoned Elgas 1pm on Friday, getting same day delivery with a fee but worth it. Called another Company could have delivered Friday if called before 9am. Great service is available with other companies!

Sally Hunter Region, NSW

Shocking Customer experience.

Following 9 months of dispute regarding our bill following our Solar connection. We only received a satisfactory outcome when we pursued our case with the NSW Energy and Water Ombudsman. Shocking customer service from Origin

Origin E.Origin

We're incredibly disappointed to hear about your experience with Origin. If there's anything else still outstanding or something else that needs work, please get in touch with us at supportsocial@originenergy.com.au. Thanks - Brad

Origin E.Origin

Understood, Sally. But, if there is something you'd like us to look at, please don't hesitate to make contact using the email above. - Brad

Victoria Z.

Victoria Z.asked

Why does origin keep so much customer credit without contacting customers to adjust bills sooner? With over a year in advance credit?
A good way to steal customer interest profits.

Origin E.Origin

Hi Victoria, all customers have the ability to obtain a refund of their credit at any time. Thanks - Kirk.

Lynette L.

Lynette L.asked

How do you get your bill cancelled when you read the meter yourself and obviously made a mistake and get it read again properly by a Meyer reader

David
David

You no longer need to send meter readings once you’ve got a smart meter?

Origin E.Origin

Hi Lynette, please email us supportsocial@originenergy.com.au with your details so we can look into it for you. Thanks - Mick.

Anonymous762asked

Hello Everyone,
Please do not use Origin Energy for gas. The gas department ripped off my family by a number of thousands of dollars between 2014 to 2019, by making up false gas readings a number of times. We had a number of letters from Origin Energy saying: You are using 55 percent more gas this year. You are using 60 percent more gas this year than last year. We both knew that this was not true.

When I rang up and complained about the false gas readings, the lady Origin Energy serving me just said: "You are using more gas." This we knew was not true.

Origin took advantage of my family member, an elderly, trusting, vulnerable person, who was scared of change. He only changed companies, after they were nasty to him and I many times, and I pressed him to change companies. I rang the ombudsman twice to complain about Origin's terrible treatment, and spoke to Origin's customer service who rang me back afterwards, but I still could not resolve the issue.

We were very good customers, always paying on time, polite and friendly to Orgin. We never provoked the Origin staff, and we were still treated in a horrible way.

I found the Origin energy staff customer service staff manipulative, patronizing and uncaring towards my family member and I.

We also experienced theft from the electricity department of Origin in 2009 to 2010, when we had bill smoothing. They made up false estimated readings when we had bill smoothing that were much much higher than what we were using, about 30 to 60 percent higher than our actual usage. I do not recommend bill smoothing, as if you do smoothing Origin may make up an estimated inflated usage. The electricity department of Origin Energy was not as bad as the gas department, but we still .experienced theft of money from them too.

Origin Energy gets quite poor feedback in Canstar energy reviews for both electricity and gas over the last few years. Origin comes down at the bottom out of ten supposedly best providers, or quite close to the bottom in Canstar energy reviews. Roy morgan institute listed the big 3 energy companies including Origin, as 3 of the least trusted energy companies in Australia in 2020. Also, Roy morgan listed Origin energy as one of the least trusted energy providers in WA in 2018.

Origin truly is one of the worst companies that I have ever dealt with.

Dama
Dama

Thanks for your review. I was thinking to join their 12 months plan, but after seeing all the bad reviews and yours too, I am now hesitant to join them. Will still consider but more careful . Will seek some friends’ opinions. I am an 80 years oldie and have no energy to fight with nasty energy providers.Thanks.

Anonymous762

You are welcome. Good wishes with your decision.

Mossimo
Mossimo

I agree, they are partly owned by the Chinese Communist Party. I have money owing to me but they will not refund!

Get an answer from our members and Origin representatives

CategoryEnergy Providers