Globird Energy

Disgusting

Called on behalf of my mother with the intention of switching both Power and Gas. Went through the process to be informed that my elderly mother had failed the credit check. How can someone who has always paid her bills ontime, has substantial savings, still utilises a credit card which is always paid in full not have a credit rating? I was offered a phone number to call to query her lack of credit rating. I specifically asked whether Globird would reconsider if I was able to fix her credit rating or lack thereof. I was informed no as their system would not allow it. I asked to speak to a manager and they refused to speak to me as they had apparently had nothing different to tell me. This company seriously needs to review their vetting process and be more respectful to the needs of elderly pensioners.

ServicesElectricity, Gas and Solar Buy-Back

Worst provider ever

I called for a quote and got a response that 'we don't want you if there is no direct access to the gas meter'. I explained that in the website it says you can just take a photo of the meter and send it to them. However, the guy said 'we just don't want you' and hang up. So RUDE!

ServicesGas

They kept their promise of standing against high energy bills!

So far, they've stuck by their promise of taking a stand against expensive energy bills. If you are a new customer like I was, they give you a quote based off your current bill. The plans they have are straightforward enough. In short, I’m never surprised when I go to pay my bill. Plus, I like that GloBird doesn’t use lock-in contracts. Not that I think I’ll need to, but it is nice to know that I can cancel whenever I want. I’m not saying they are cheap, but better than I expected

ServicesElectricity and Gas
Dear Amina lb, Thanks for your positive review. We do try as much as possible to keep our rates low and competitive; however this does not always mean we are the cheapest. Despite this, we're glad that you're having a great experience with us so far! Regards, GloBird Energy.

Not the cheapest but I love the straigthforward plan and customer support!

My real estate agency recommended GloBird when I moved last year. I had never heard of the company before and was a bit skeptical going into it. I called them up to request service, and they quickly switched the power on at my new home. Not to mention the prices that they offer are very fair and straightforward plan. I’ve been using them ever since and am still very pleased with their service and cusomter support!

ServicesElectricity and Gas
Hi Murth Sayers, Thanks for your very positive feedback. We're pleased to hear that our customer service and rates are meeting your expectations. We look forward to a future of being of service to you. Regards, GloBird Energy.

Have been with them twice and twice the the price went up after 2 weeks

Not for me ...... Elsewhere has cheaper rates and far better Solar feed in. Very deceiving,arrogant and just plain expensive. I can't see them lasting a long time in the power game.

ServicesElectricity
Hi David, We understand that energy is a basic commodity so price is definitely important. If you find better rates it’s totally understandable that you want to grab them. We don’t have lock in contracts or terminations fees, we are just glad to have had you with us in the past, and we hope you found the deal that works best for you. We used to have one of the highest solar feed in tariffs in the market, as a result we have a disproportionally large number of solar customers. We need to balance the mix of customer types because of the way the wholesale market works, so we now offer 12 cents feed in which is more in line with industry average. Regards, GloBird Energy.

Globird does it for me

We have had electricity from Globird for some time now and have added gas in he last few months.
Set-up was seamless - and our monthly electricity and up to now bi-monthly gas bills have rolled in as expected with as expected discounts off the whole bill - not just usage.
Customer service is with a real person who speaks clearly and sensibly.
What a find - after dealing with monolithic suppliers who use large impersonal call-centers!
The price is right and the service is consistent and reliable.

ServicesElectricity, Gas and Solar Buy-Back
Hi Geelong Flanders, We're extremely happy to hear that you're having a great experience with our service! Providing a customer service model that people aren't easily frustrated by; but also, will provide the answers to questions that people have, is at the forefront of our focus. That's why we have a local team based in Melbourne, who care for our customers! We're also happy to be able to provide rates that you are happy with. We look forward to a long future of being your energy provider! Regards, GloBird Energy.

Denied

Vic Energy Compare showed they had the best rates in my area and so I tried to sign up. Told I was denied based on credit after spending ~20mins on the phone setting it up.
I don't have a credit rating since I have not long moved out of home and worked to the position that I have never had the need to take out a line of credit.
Due to a "bad credit rating", I was informed that I had to find another provider as they would not supply me with gas.
Since I knew I didn't have any debts, being told I had a bad credit rating led me to panic thinking there may have been some error and owed money elsewhere. This was followed by the next hour trying to get a hold of my credit report which, as I suspected was blank.

I now will probably have to open a line of credit since I will have to pay more with another provider thanks to this disgusting practice.

Appalling customer service.
The stress and anger is not worth the time trying to deal with such an incompetent and omnipotent, knob of a company.

ServicesGas
Hi Ryan T, We're sorry for the inconvenience, but because we provide energy first and then bill for it later, we are considered a credit provider so we have to run a basic ID and credit check. If you are just starting out and don’t have a record of any transactions yet, our system isn’t able to verify you. That’s not too say you have bad credit at all, only that there is no file we can rely on. We take your feedback and will see how we can better accommodate new IDs or credit files. Sorry if we didn’t communicate this well. Regards, GloBird Energy.

Great saving and very happy

I didn’t realize how much I was overpaying for electricity with my last electricity company until I made the switch to GloBird Energy. Emailed them and they got back to me with a comparison quote, which was cheaper. I am saving over $80 a month.

ServicesElectricity and Gas
Hi Ramona, Thank you very much for your very honest review! $80 a month is an incredible saving to be making, and we're extremely glad that a simple switch to us has enabled you to do so. We look forward to a bright future continuing to be of service to you. Regards, GloBird Energy.

Appalling - GloBird Energy gas are deceptive, arrogant, unethical, dishonest, & fail to own their own poor behaviour

I tried to sign up to GloBird gas on the 8th March, 2019. I spoke with them at least five times on the phone. Everything seemed to be going fine. Things changed abruptly on 22/03/2019, prior to the transfer request being set for 29/03/19.
GloBird are deceptive, arrogant, unethical, dishonest, and do not own their own poor behaviour.
They could improve by disclosing *all* their terms and conditions, having consistent, customer-focused and accurate information given by all staff, and apologising when they're in the wrong. Arrogance doesn't go down well, and nor does hiding contract details like 'estimated' reads for billing one month alternating with metered reads, then having Management lie and say my contract is no longer on offer because I didn't give my email (false - I did in my contract, they'd sent me the joining Pack via it) - then because I wouldn't pay by direct debit (false - I wanted to and agreed in my contract to set up, and have always done so with my previous provider of 14 years). All this because when I found this out about the monthly estimated reads (it's not in the contract or T&Cs), the decent customer service officer in the callroom changed all 'estimated' reads for billing to actual metered reading bimonthly, counter to company policy.
Apparently now GloBird will be launching an internal investigation as to how this happened, but no other offer will be available to me. This is 14 days after I signed up and was welcomed on board to GloBird, after I had cancelled my direct debit arrangements with my old provider (who is now current again, but continues to be unsatisfactory).
I had read mixed but largely negative reviews of GloBird previous to signing up but decided to give them a go due to them being a small and supposedly all-Australian company. I now see why their reviews were largely negative.
Very poor, GloBird. I would strongly advise any potential customers to give them a wide miss.

ServicesGas
Hi Em, With gas meter reads, we rely on the local distributor to provide us regular reads. Like most providers we use actual reads when they are available and estimates when they are not. This is covered in our standard T&Cs. The important thing to remember is that when the actual reads come in, it all balances out, estimates are only there to help smooth out and avoid bill shock bumps. More info here https://www.globirdenergy.com.au/monthlygasbill/ . We are sorry we couldn’t establish an account for this meter at this site. Regards, GloBird Energy.Actually Globird, your issue was that your service rep offered me unasked for bimonthly billing, and I accepted (I had just then heard about estimated reads, and have had to know quite a bit more about them since); as I told her, I didn't think that was an option. Here in Victoria billing more frequently than bimonthly can't be on actual reads as meters are only read by parent companies bimonthly. And no, your Victorian gas Ts&Cs don't mention alternating estimated/actual reads (I read them in full on your site), in particular not mentioning estimated reads that must be practised for the above reason when billing is monthly, compulsorily. The result of the service rep's offer and my acceptance was a withdrawal of contract when I was already at day 7 of my cooling off period and in contract with you for gas. So in essence, you breached the contract. You started an internal inquiry, and I was told I was ineligible for an account due to that. *Literally what they said*. So what you're saying is not the case in my instance. Nice NOT PR though. You completely ignoring the real issue and trying to turn it into one of 'bill shock' prevention (been paying my bills fine the last 25 years, thanks) makes me even more annoyed. If you had addressed the issues and owned them I would have respected you for it. Everyone makes mistakes. Blame the customer? Not so much. Think there's somewhere to help me with that. Think the Ombudsman will agree?

Happy with rates and saving!

Before switchin to GloBird Energy, I noticed that my previous energy bill seemed unusually high. A mate recommended GloBird and said price was good. I went to the website and did comparison quote. I’m glad I decided I switched over and wondered why I stuck with my old electric company for so long.

I'd recommend Globird energy for good rates and good (local) customer support!

ServicesElectricity
Hi Rand, Thank you very much for your very positive review! We're extremely glad to hear that as a result of changing with us, you've been able to save considerably on your energy bills. As for local support, you're correct - we're based in Melbourne, with a local team who all work out of here and not overseas. Thanks again for recommending us, and we look forward to being of service to you now and into the future! Regards, GloBird Energy.

Good for the first year, will screw you thereafter!

Good for our first year, after which all the rates were altered and now we are paying significantly.
We have a 5KW solar system, which generates up to THREE times the amount of power we need to buy back. For the first year it balanced well, we did not get a bill over the Summer months, averaging small bills for about 5 months of the year. January 2019, our latest bill we have generated 635kWh and used 243kWh, we have a significant and unexpected bill, where this time last year we were in credit. We'll be moving!

ServicesElectricity
Hi Frankie, Thanks for letting us know. We're extremely sorry to see you leave, but we understand that you want to keep your costs down and that you've found a better rate elsewhere. We don’t have a lock in contract or exit fees. Regards, GloBird Energy.

Connected the wrong house, in the wrong suburb

What a massive stuff up! Have my electricity provided by Globird with no issues. When I went to also switch my gas over to them, they were meant to send someone out to read the metre. They did, and then I didn't hear from them for 2 months. I called to follow up, and they said the metre reader couldn't access the metre because it was 'overgrown'. That should have sent alarm bells then and there, as my metre isn't overgrown. They then organised to send oneone else out, again! This time, I also didn't hear from them after a month. I called yesterday to confirm I was now connected, and they sent a confirmation email saying yes. Then I called my old provider to ensure I was disconnected, and they were adamant that they were still my provider. So, what went wrong?

Globird connected some poor person's gas in a suburb with the same street name, 30 minutes away from my actual address. How could this be? That person must be so confused as to why they're receiving my bill for gas. I asked to speak to a manager to see what they would do to rectify this huge boo-boo. Waited for a call back all day yesterday and go figure, I'm still waiting. I'll be looking elsewhere. Very unorganised and unprofessional company.

ServicesGas
Hi Gia, We're sorry that this has happened to you, and understand that it's an inconvenience to you and the other person involved. Our records show that we have since been in contact with you and have resolved the issue. Thank you for giving us the time to investigate the matter and have it corrected at the time. Is there anything else we can do to assist? Regards, GloBird Energy.Thank you for responding, but you did not resolve the issue and I still received a bill for an address that was not my house!Hi Gia, The address mix up happened because the two street addresses were very similar in different suburbs, with your help, we sorted out the mix up. A bill was automatically generated while we were resolving the mix up. Thankfully, this was withdrawn after talking with you and a corrected bill with the right address was since issued. Please just discard the bill with the wrong address and pay the one for the right address. If you need any help or have any questions please reply back to the person looking after this case as they are here to help you. Regards, GloBird Energy.

Dont even think to join, worse energy in Australia

I have been renting all my life and this is the first time I have problems with a energy provider. They not just charge a ridiculous amount of fees but also made a mistake in my bill leaving 26dols outstanding for later damaging my credit score!!! For $26 which i paid straight away.
Stay away from this company

ServicesElectricity
Hi Vvv, We're sorry to hear that this has happened to you. As we can't verify you as a customer on here, we'd love to be able to investigate what may have occurred in this instance. Rectifying this can only occur if you contact us on 133 456 or on customerservice@globirdenergy.com.au so that we can identify you and look into your account for you. Thanks, GloBird Energy.

Best energy retailer I've ever been with!!!

I have been with many retailers, not necessarily switching because of price, but more importantly service. Other energy companies I've found to be completely impossible to talk to or reason with, because the phone centre is based overseas; or I've had long waits in the queue for assistance.

GloBird to me has been a breath of fresh air! ALL my calls have been answered straight away with NO wait times. I've also had the pleasure of dealing with someone based in Australia (and it's through some reviews here that I've learnt that they're based locally).

As for prices, I've found them to be extremely competitive. I understand that these change from time to time (as businesses do...), and some raises are completely out of their control because of greedy distributors who own the monopoly of the playing field.

I recently looked at the energy compare - and sure, GloBird isn't the cheapest. I could go with Tango for electricity, or with Origin for Gas and save $50-$100 more for an entire year. But at the cost of crap service? No, I don't think so..

You need to pay for great service these days. It's like flying Tiger VS. Jetstar to me!

ServicesElectricity and Gas
Hi Bram S., Thank you very much for your kind and positive review of our service! It's really great feedback to hear that our locally-based service is paying off for our customers. We're actually based in Melbourne, with all our staff operating out of our office in Mitcham. Being prompt on the phones, coupled with a high standard of service, is certainly our point of difference to other retailers who have their customer service teams outsourced overseas with long wait times. We try to be as competitive as we can be when it comes to price. At the end of the day, every retailer wants to offer the best deal that they can - and this doesn't always mean that we can offer the cheapest of rates. However, as we operate under a unique business model, a lot of what we save gets passed onto our consumers. We're confident that our service will continue to please you, and that we will have a long future of business with you. Thanks for choosing us for your energy services. Regards, GloBird Energy.

Took a risk with this company and it didn't work out

I signed up to a gas plan of theirs at the start of September 2018 on a plan with a release date of June 2018. Received an email a week ago that their gas rates increased after a review in November 2018 and that they had held off raising my rates until March 1, 2019. Also they informed me that they will be billing me monthly now. Checked on their website and the plan I had signed up for was scrapped and new ones were released as of November 2018. I have paid my bills on time with this mob so I called them to see if they would do anything about this and they said no. So I will be switching again. This company will change their rates and plans it appears several times during the year whereas other companies will do it only once a year. Previous reviews about this bad behaviour were correct.

ServicesGas
Hi Sammy, We're sorry to hear that this has been your experience - increases in rates are never good, we understand this. Like other retailers, we review our prices once a year, generally the end of the year when the electricity distributors which we get our supply from are granted by the Government to reset their prices. As a result, energy retailers like us are forced to pass these changes onto the consumer. Network charges make up as much as 50% of your bill. Other charges on your bill are made up of wholesale costs and other costs, all of which change from time to time and you'll find that other retailers do the same. However, we will always provide you with written notice if this occurs (which it appears that you had received from us). Regards, GloBird Energy.I have made the switch to another retailer who came up as cheaper than GloBird both on the Victorian Government website and on Mozo as well. This new retailer also has a local call centre and they too were able to answer all my questions promptly and clearly. Just calling you out Globird on bad practices when it comes to changing your pricing/plans several times throughout the year. Read my message again.

Very poor form

Increased supply charge by 10% and the kWh usage by ~30% after 5 months. Bait and switch. Cause of increase " market forces ". Other retailers are quite happy to sell me power for much less. I really think they just hope people wont move.

ServicesElectricity
Hi Phil, As a business, we try to operate under a different business model to other big energy retailers. For example, no high rise buildings, over-paid executives, and for service and reliability, all our staff are based locally and not overseas. Given these differences, we're able to pass on savings and good rates back to our customers where possible. Unfortunately, due to "market forces" as you put it, we can't always be the most competitive. We're sorry that your experience wasn't what you expected. Regards, GloBird Energy.

Another bait & switch

Joined 6 months ago as recommended through Victoria energy compare. Received the latest bill and prices were higher than other retailers. Nowhere close to even average deal on the list

ServicesElectricity
Hi Lori, We're sorry that this is your experience. Be assured that the prices and deals listed on the Victoria Energy Compare website are true and accurate. However, towards the end of the year is generally the time that the wholesale market that most energy providers buy from, reset their prices. As a business, we've decided to ensure that our customers know about the increase in advance, instead of a shock increase in their next bill. Infact, you'll find that energy retailers even now, are beginning to reassess their prices to compensate from the wholesale market. Having said all of that, we're sorry that you switched with us at a time that we had good rates, only to find that they had increased. We understand that isn't what any customer wants from an energy provider, values and service aside. Regards, GloBird Energy.

Only 5 star energy retailer

I used RedEnergy, AGL, SimplyEnergy, OriginEnergy, and Globird.
Until now, Globird is the only 5-star retailer I met.

1. Discount on total, not only usage, I researched the VIC market, looks like only 1 or 2 retailers have the benefit, and Globird is one of them.
2. Easy to transfer, no hidden fee.
3. No spam call

Now, I switch out Globird on electricity, not because of their service or price, the only problem is they don't have a good feed-in rate on Solar power. But you cannot complain about it. I am still using it as Gas retailer.

ServicesElectricity and Gas
Hi Sli, Really great feedback to hear that you're extremely happy with our service as your gas retailer! On the same token, we're sorry to hear that due to the feed-in rate on solar, you've been forced to move. We understand that service aside, price is important and perhaps you've found a rate that we simply cannot match at this point in time. Thanks again for your really positive feedback, it's much appreciated. Regards, GloBird Energy.

Typical bait and switch

Offered good rates when I signed up. Then 2 months later they increased the rates by a whopping 20%. "Yes, but every provider increases their rates in the New Year" was their excuse. Yes, but not by 20%.... Switching was a waste of time as their rates are now the same as my old provider.

ServicesElectricity and Gas
Hi Robin, We're sorry to hear that your initial experience with us wasn't a positive one. You'll find that most energy providers do reassess their rates around the beginning of the year, as the wholesale market (where energy providers buy) generally reset their prices around December. Rest assured, this is not an excuse on our part, but fact. While to us, our customers are the most important and integral part to our work, remaining competitive amongst other energy retailers buying from mostly the same wholesale market means that any price increases they pass on will likely affect the consumer. As a business, we try to pass on as much savings and low rates as we can by operating with a unique business model that other big energy companies cannot provide. However, this doesn't always make us the cheapest at any given time. Regards, GloBird Energy.

cheap rate and good customer service

I noticed my bills were smaller straight away, saving about 25% compared to Origin. I called today to ask a question about my concession and the guy was really helpful and friendly. Good experience, keep it up.

ServicesElectricity and Gas
Hi Judy, Thank you for your very honest feedback! Reading reviews like this encourage us in continuing a very high standard of customer service. We look forward to continuing this standard for you now and into the future! Thanks, GloBird Energy.

What country are Globird's owners registered?
To be honest Wally it is hard to tell. Have had one person come to town claiming to be Irish but living here for 20 years and being the owner, yet all indicators point toward China. Had a lawyer friend look it up and he says China as well. Very hard to track on the internet.Hi Wally, GloBird is a privately owned company, it was started in 2014 by Irish born Australian John McCluskey who has lived in Melbourne for the last twenty years. He works in the company’s Mitcham office and he is a part owner along with some local investors and staff.

Is there any previous customers? Do they still take money away after the disconnect date? Is there any dis-connect or leaving fee? Do they do gas as well?
They will do Gas in approx 2 monthsI just signed up with them yesterday, just for GAS. I've done a research on each single energy provider and found Globird cheapest in GAS and Tango cheapest in Electricity, so I changed to these from Origin. I haven't got any e-mail or SMS or anything to confirm but it's early days...Hi Shayna, As an energy retailer, GloBird is licenced by the Victorian government’s ESC (Essential Services Commission), and also licenced by the AER (Australian Energy Regulator). The company is a registered participant of AEMO (Australian Energy Market Operator) therefore the company must comply with the same market rules and laws as AGL, Origin or any other energy retailer. This means they can only issue bills based on meter reads provided to them by an independent (and also government regulated) meter data provider, this is usually your local distributor. The meter data provider will only provide meter reads to one retailer at a time. If you switch from GloBird to another retailer, the independent meter data provider stops sending GloBird your meter reads and start sending them to your new retailer, so it’s impossible for GloBird to bill you beyond that point. You can contact your local distributor and verify that the reads your retailer is using to calculate your bill match with what is provided by the distributor. There is a disconnection charge when you move out of your premises. If you are just leaving Globird and changing to another retailer at the same premises than there are no charges. As for gas, we have been providing this service since July 2018.

Similar listings