Globird Energy

Good for the first year, will screw you thereafter!

Good for our first year, after which all the rates were altered and now we are paying significantly.
We have a 5KW solar system, which generates up to THREE times the amount of power we need to buy back. For the first year it balanced well, we did not get a bill over the Summer months, averaging small bills for about 5 months of the year. January 2019, our latest bill we have generated 635kWh and used 243kWh, we have a significant and unexpected bill, where this time last year we were in credit. We'll be moving!

ServicesElectricity

Connected the wrong house, in the wrong suburb

What a massive stuff up! Have my electricity provided by Globird with no issues. When I went to also switch my gas over to them, they were meant to send someone out to read the metre. They did, and then I didn't hear from them for 2 months. I called to follow up, and they said the metre reader couldn't access the metre because it was 'overgrown'. That should have sent alarm bells then and there, as my metre isn't overgrown. They then organised to send oneone else out, again! This time, I also didn't hear from them after a month. I called yesterday to confirm I was now connected, and they sent a confirmation email saying yes. Then I called my old provider to ensure I was disconnected, and they were adamant that they were still my provider. So, what went wrong?

Globird connected some poor person's gas in a suburb with the same street name, 30 minutes away from my actual address. How could this be? That person must be so confused as to why they're receiving my bill for gas. I asked to speak to a manager to see what they would do to rectify this huge boo-boo. Waited for a call back all day yesterday and go figure, I'm still waiting. I'll be looking elsewhere. Very unorganised and unprofessional company.

ServicesGas
Hi Gia, We're sorry that this has happened to you, and understand that it's an inconvenience to you and the other person involved. Our records show that we have since been in contact with you and have resolved the issue. Thank you for giving us the time to investigate the matter and have it corrected at the time. Is there anything else we can do to assist? Regards, GloBird Energy.

So far so good, won't be moving to a new provider anytime soon!

I moved from Simply Energy to Globird Energy about 6 months ago for a better electricity and gas combo deal, the whole moving and swtich over process is smooth, the sale reps follow through all the way through the process.

I'm very impressed with the customer support team in answering all my queries, their very patience in dealing with my requests.

Look for the pay on time discount they really give 35% from the entire, maybe not the best rates in the market but I'm happy with their local based customer support.

ServicesElectricity, Gas and Solar Buy-Back
Hi sw ho, Thanks for your positive feedback on our service. It's really great to hear that our locally-based service in Melbourne is paying dividends to our customers. Just some of the feedback we hear from people is little to no wait times, customer service representatives who listen and understand your concerns, and service that follows through till the end of the process. When it comes to rates, we do strive to have the most competitive rates - and in many cases, we do. However, this isn't always the case when most retailers are buying from the same wholesale market and competition is strong. Nevertheless, thanks for your positive review! Regards, GloBird Energy.

Dont even think to join, worse energy in Australia

I have been renting all my life and this is the first time I have problems with a energy provider. They not just charge a ridiculous amount of fees but also made a mistake in my bill leaving 26dols outstanding for later damaging my credit score!!! For $26 which i paid straight away.
Stay away from this company

ServicesElectricity
Hi Vvv, We're sorry to hear that this has happened to you. As we can't verify you as a customer on here, we'd love to be able to investigate what may have occurred in this instance. Rectifying this can only occur if you contact us on 133 456 or on customerservice@globirdenergy.com.au so that we can identify you and look into your account for you. Thanks, GloBird Energy.

Best energy retailer I've ever been with!!!

I have been with many retailers, not necessarily switching because of price, but more importantly service. Other energy companies I've found to be completely impossible to talk to or reason with, because the phone centre is based overseas; or I've had long waits in the queue for assistance.

GloBird to me has been a breath of fresh air! ALL my calls have been answered straight away with NO wait times. I've also had the pleasure of dealing with someone based in Australia (and it's through some reviews here that I've learnt that they're based locally).

As for prices, I've found them to be extremely competitive. I understand that these change from time to time (as businesses do...), and some raises are completely out of their control because of greedy distributors who own the monopoly of the playing field.

I recently looked at the energy compare - and sure, GloBird isn't the cheapest. I could go with Tango for electricity, or with Origin for Gas and save $50-$100 more for an entire year. But at the cost of crap service? No, I don't think so..

You need to pay for great service these days. It's like flying Tiger VS. Jetstar to me!

ServicesElectricity and Gas
Hi Bram S., Thank you very much for your kind and positive review of our service! It's really great feedback to hear that our locally-based service is paying off for our customers. We're actually based in Melbourne, with all our staff operating out of our office in Mitcham. Being prompt on the phones, coupled with a high standard of service, is certainly our point of difference to other retailers who have their customer service teams outsourced overseas with long wait times. We try to be as competitive as we can be when it comes to price. At the end of the day, every retailer wants to offer the best deal that they can - and this doesn't always mean that we can offer the cheapest of rates. However, as we operate under a unique business model, a lot of what we save gets passed onto our consumers. We're confident that our service will continue to please you, and that we will have a long future of business with you. Thanks for choosing us for your energy services. Regards, GloBird Energy.

Took a risk with this company and it didn't work out

I signed up to a gas plan of theirs at the start of September 2018 on a plan with a release date of June 2018. Received an email a week ago that their gas rates increased after a review in November 2018 and that they had held off raising my rates until March 1, 2019. Also they informed me that they will be billing me monthly now. Checked on their website and the plan I had signed up for was scrapped and new ones were released as of November 2018. I have paid my bills on time with this mob so I called them to see if they would do anything about this and they said no. So I will be switching again. This company will change their rates and plans it appears several times during the year whereas other companies will do it only once a year. Previous reviews about this bad behaviour were correct.

ServicesGas
Hi Sammy, We're sorry to hear that this has been your experience - increases in rates are never good, we understand this. Like other retailers, we review our prices once a year, generally the end of the year when the electricity distributors which we get our supply from are granted by the Government to reset their prices. As a result, energy retailers like us are forced to pass these changes onto the consumer. Network charges make up as much as 50% of your bill. Other charges on your bill are made up of wholesale costs and other costs, all of which change from time to time and you'll find that other retailers do the same. However, we will always provide you with written notice if this occurs (which it appears that you had received from us). Regards, GloBird Energy.I have made the switch to another retailer who came up as cheaper than GloBird both on the Victorian Government website and on Mozo as well. This new retailer also has a local call centre and they too were able to answer all my questions promptly and clearly. Just calling you out Globird on bad practices when it comes to changing your pricing/plans several times throughout the year. Read my message again.

Very poor form

Increased supply charge by 10% and the kWh usage by ~30% after 5 months. Bait and switch. Cause of increase " market forces ". Other retailers are quite happy to sell me power for much less. I really think they just hope people wont move.

ServicesElectricity
Hi Phil, As a business, we try to operate under a different business model to other big energy retailers. For example, no high rise buildings, over-paid executives, and for service and reliability, all our staff are based locally and not overseas. Given these differences, we're able to pass on savings and good rates back to our customers where possible. Unfortunately, due to "market forces" as you put it, we can't always be the most competitive. We're sorry that your experience wasn't what you expected. Regards, GloBird Energy.

Another bait & switch

Joined 6 months ago as recommended through Victoria energy compare. Received the latest bill and prices were higher than other retailers. Nowhere close to even average deal on the list

ServicesElectricity
Hi Lori, We're sorry that this is your experience. Be assured that the prices and deals listed on the Victoria Energy Compare website are true and accurate. However, towards the end of the year is generally the time that the wholesale market that most energy providers buy from, reset their prices. As a business, we've decided to ensure that our customers know about the increase in advance, instead of a shock increase in their next bill. Infact, you'll find that energy retailers even now, are beginning to reassess their prices to compensate from the wholesale market. Having said all of that, we're sorry that you switched with us at a time that we had good rates, only to find that they had increased. We understand that isn't what any customer wants from an energy provider, values and service aside. Regards, GloBird Energy.

Only 5 star energy retailer

I used RedEnergy, AGL, SimplyEnergy, OriginEnergy, and Globird.
Until now, Globird is the only 5-star retailer I met.

1. Discount on total, not only usage, I researched the VIC market, looks like only 1 or 2 retailers have the benefit, and Globird is one of them.
2. Easy to transfer, no hidden fee.
3. No spam call

Now, I switch out Globird on electricity, not because of their service or price, the only problem is they don't have a good feed-in rate on Solar power. But you cannot complain about it. I am still using it as Gas retailer.

ServicesElectricity and Gas
Hi Sli, Really great feedback to hear that you're extremely happy with our service as your gas retailer! On the same token, we're sorry to hear that due to the feed-in rate on solar, you've been forced to move. We understand that service aside, price is important and perhaps you've found a rate that we simply cannot match at this point in time. Thanks again for your really positive feedback, it's much appreciated. Regards, GloBird Energy.

Typical bait and switch

Offered good rates when I signed up. Then 2 months later they increased the rates by a whopping 20%. "Yes, but every provider increases their rates in the New Year" was their excuse. Yes, but not by 20%.... Switching was a waste of time as their rates are now the same as my old provider.

ServicesElectricity and Gas
Hi Robin, We're sorry to hear that your initial experience with us wasn't a positive one. You'll find that most energy providers do reassess their rates around the beginning of the year, as the wholesale market (where energy providers buy) generally reset their prices around December. Rest assured, this is not an excuse on our part, but fact. While to us, our customers are the most important and integral part to our work, remaining competitive amongst other energy retailers buying from mostly the same wholesale market means that any price increases they pass on will likely affect the consumer. As a business, we try to pass on as much savings and low rates as we can by operating with a unique business model that other big energy companies cannot provide. However, this doesn't always make us the cheapest at any given time. Regards, GloBird Energy.

cheap rate and good customer service

I noticed my bills were smaller straight away, saving about 25% compared to Origin. I called today to ask a question about my concession and the guy was really helpful and friendly. Good experience, keep it up.

ServicesElectricity and Gas
Hi Judy, Thank you for your very honest feedback! Reading reviews like this encourage us in continuing a very high standard of customer service. We look forward to continuing this standard for you now and into the future! Thanks, GloBird Energy.

All Bad. Avoid these criminals!

Signed up with this mob based on data and information on the vic.gov energy website. Seemed pretty good at the start, reasonable rates and good discounts. Then after a number of months I realised they were slowly but surely reducing the time between bills. I rang them and asked why they had initially started billing me at the end of the month, and in a 9 month period, they were billing me at the start of the month. They claimed to bill me in 30 day increments, yet my bills in 9 months were coming 18 days earlier in the month. In effect, I would be billed for 13 months per year and they didn't have a problem with that. So the trade off for a reasonable bill was in fact, more bills than they are entitled to charge. Good bye Globird you thieves!!!

ServicesElectricity
Hi Brock, We understand that consistent billing is important to you, as well as other customers - allowing you to keep track. As a retailer, we like to bill on a monthly basis, but we can’t always produce a bill every 30 days. Unfortunately with holidays, weekends our system runs can range from 27 to 33 days on a bills. However, bills are always based on number of days in that billing cycle and the amount of usage during the period, so billing is always fair and accurate. The details that make up your bill will be shown on page two including how exactly many days and how much usage, including the dates of that cycle. If you compare the dates of each bill, you can be assured that there are no intentional double ups. Regards, GloBird Energy.

Bait and switch

Globird lured me in with pay on time discounts and an above average solar feed in tariff, but within a very short period of time they started increasing their rates and reducing their feed in tariff for solar exports. I have had 3 rate rises and decreases in the feed in tariff within a 5 month period. The energy regulator really should look into these sort of practices. I will be submitting a complaint to the ombudsman. I am switching to a new retailer today and I suggest that everyone review their plans regularly and switch whenever a better offer is available. Don't be complacent. They don't deserve any sort of loyalty!

Hi Dan, We're sorry that this is your experience and it's sad to see you go. You'll find that most other retailers will begin to raise their rates (if they haven't already) due to prices being raised from the wholesale market. As a result, all retailers will feel the pinch and will have to make adjustments. As a business, our customers are our first priority - and while raising prices is not ideal and certainly not our preferred option, it's a necessity to ensure that we can continue to provide a great service to our loyal customers. It's sad to hear that you're submitting a complaint, but we do understand that rate rises are frustrating. However, be assured that our actions are completely legal and within the constraints of the energy regulations. Regards, GloBird Energy.

Excellent!!

Been with globird for 4 years now...services are been great...simple and easy.

The prices do go up ..which is understandable but the best part is they tell you upfront if the can't do anything - they are happy to be honest..

Never had any interruptions in power for 4 years...

Love an honest and a upfront company..

Good services never come cheap!!

Hi Razni, We would like to thank you - not only for your excellent feedback, but your loyalty to our business. You're right - prices do go up, and remaining competitive amongst the offerings of other retailers needs to be dealt with not only the consumer in mind, but with the future of our business in mind also. Glad to also hear that you haven't had any interruptions. That's really good feedback to know! Regards, GloBird Energy.

VERY GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE IN MELBOURNE !

Very good customer service in Melbourne and good simple rates, I have signed up for electricity 9/10 I give them

Hi J M, We really appreciate your positive feedback on our service and rates! As an Australian business based locally in Melbourne, it is a big point of difference in the market place. We're glad that you're happy and look forward to being of service to you in the long term. Regards, GloBird Energy.

Unaccountable

They declined my application. They could not tell me specifically why just, "the credit report". I am awaiting intervention from the energy Ombudsman. The credit company Equifax gave a report which they described as good, but would not give me the score unless i paid! No one could tell me exactly why I was declined.

Thank you for your feedback. We understand the frustration of being denied an application. Because we supply energy first and bills later, we are considered a credit provider; and as such, we need to use a third party agency to run a credit and identification check. As a budget provider we offer the lowest rates we can afford, as as a result of this, our risk threshold is strict. This can sometimes mean we decline a new sign up that other companies may accept. Getting the balance right is difficult. To protect your privacy, staff do not see your credit file and cannot discuss why it passed or failed.

Ripped off

They suck you in then after a short time they write rubbish to you saying due to large wholesale energy increases have resulted huge increase then when you query their website rates they said their Website had not been updated.
Beware have nothing to do with GLOBIRD

Thank you for your feedback. Like most other retailers, we must adjust our rates every year around December as a result of price increases from the wholesale market. Higher prices are never good news, we understand this. We won the Mozo award for best rates in 2017, 2018 and even though the market has gone higher this year, we hope to win again in 2019.

Excellent rates and local support

Been with them for over 2 years, despite the pricing changes, I have done my research and no one could beat their pricing. Also love the fact that I am speaking with a local when calling for support.

Thank you for your very positive review on our service! We're glad to hear that you are happy and that we are meeting your expectations. We are an Australian company based in Melbourne, with all staff operating out of our Mitcham office, which is a big point of difference. Thanks for your feedback.

Excellent response to emails, but huge hard-to-justify price rises.

Good for a year, but a HUGE drop in solar feed in tariff and significant increase in charges resulted in a 40% increase in total cost per month for me.
Responses to email queries were prompt, and clearly written by a native English speaker (which helps a lot.)
Their FIT (10 c/kwh) is now the lowest they can legally offer.

Thank you for your feedback. Glad to hear that our service through emails matched your expectations; however, equally sorry to have to pass on the price increase from the wholesale market. Higher prices are never good news. We won the Mozo award for best rates in 2017, 2018 and even though the market has gone higher this year, we hope to win again in 2019.

Bait and Switch

A good deal on Vic Government Energy Compare, they seem OK, sign up is smooth. Then two months later, a price change notice with significant price increases. Disappointing, no thanks I will look again!

Thank you for your feedback. Glad to hear that our sign up procedure was a smooth and easy process. We're sorry to hear you are leaving, we reset our rates every year around December so if you join us late in the year it can mean your rates change soon after you join. We completely understand your point of view, higher prices are never good news.

What country are Globird's owners registered?
To be honest Wally it is hard to tell. Have had one person come to town claiming to be Irish but living here for 20 years and being the owner, yet all indicators point toward China. Had a lawyer friend look it up and he says China as well. Very hard to track on the internet.Hi Wally, GloBird is a privately owned company, it was started in 2014 by Irish born Australian John McCluskey who has lived in Melbourne for the last twenty years. He works in the company’s Mitcham office and he is a part owner along with some local investors and staff.

Is there any previous customers? Do they still take money away after the disconnect date? Is there any dis-connect or leaving fee? Do they do gas as well?
They will do Gas in approx 2 monthsI just signed up with them yesterday, just for GAS. I've done a research on each single energy provider and found Globird cheapest in GAS and Tango cheapest in Electricity, so I changed to these from Origin. I haven't got any e-mail or SMS or anything to confirm but it's early days...Hi Shayna, As an energy retailer, GloBird is licenced by the Victorian government’s ESC (Essential Services Commission), and also licenced by the AER (Australian Energy Regulator). The company is a registered participant of AEMO (Australian Energy Market Operator) therefore the company must comply with the same market rules and laws as AGL, Origin or any other energy retailer. This means they can only issue bills based on meter reads provided to them by an independent (and also government regulated) meter data provider, this is usually your local distributor. The meter data provider will only provide meter reads to one retailer at a time. If you switch from GloBird to another retailer, the independent meter data provider stops sending GloBird your meter reads and start sending them to your new retailer, so it’s impossible for GloBird to bill you beyond that point. You can contact your local distributor and verify that the reads your retailer is using to calculate your bill match with what is provided by the distributor. There is a disconnection charge when you move out of your premises. If you are just leaving Globird and changing to another retailer at the same premises than there are no charges. As for gas, we have been providing this service since July 2018.

Similar listings