As good as any other provider. No issues

I live in Castle Hill, NSW, and was choosing between Exetel and Aussie Broadband as I had Aussie broadband previously in another house but Exetel was $20 cheaper with their 50/20 plan. Signed up and installation was easy and it worked straight away -> NBN HFC and I'm getting 42/17.

Pathetic service

I submitted my application for a new connection over phone. They offered me a great deal and I went ahead with it.
They promised to get my connection active in 2 weeks time and was even notified by a message.
Today it has been 3 weeks and no word from them. When you call the customer care they could not care less, put me on hold for 27 minutes just to tell we cannot give you an answer yet you just have to wait.
I have been without internet for 3 weeks now and affecting my business.
Don't ever go with their service.

Feeling like going to Telecommunication Industry Ombudsman

I was thinking to get NBN my friend referred me Exetel. It was worse decision I made. Calling them every day from last two weeks but still waiting for internet. I call theM every day in morning long waiting they put you through other department like provisioning team, tech team, sales team , you queue up again like they say you are number 35 waiting time is 65 minutes. Another operator ask you same questions again like name, birth date, email, address, mobile number, Even you already told him reference number and customer no and have given all details to first customer. Their operators speak like they are sleeping or they have no energy it's even hard to get there name. They send technician last Friday he changed cable one to other port and said wait 24 to 48 hours then nothing happened. Every time you talk to them they say they reset it and wait for 48 to 72 hours. My children ask for internet every day. It's 3rd week without internet. I am using data on my mobile which cost me $10 for every 2gb. I am fed up with them. They harassed me lot . Wondering what to do. Thinking to go to Ombudsman if they don't fix my internet in next two day. Still don't know if ombudsman can help with this matter or not. You have to give them 1 star. I was trying something below that.

Contract Type6-month contract

Solid internet connectivity

I am fortunate we have a very reliable connection with Exetel on the nbn here. We have the Standard Plus plan with unlimited data for $60 per month which is great value. I have only had one issue and that was that we weren't able to quickly get the NetCommWireless router they provided up and running as quickly as I would have liked. Turns out there's a few minor changes we needed to make to be able to "patch in" the port that we wanted to use the router with. That's not Exetel's fault, though, but they also weren't able to guide anyone through the process. I also like that they provide a bunch of other features including 20 free email addresses, and some web space.
I will stick with Exetel for now because it works. Have a phone line from them too but only because it's included and cost-free to keep it in case we ever want it, but we don't have a phone connected so don't use it.

Start DateJuly 2018
Connection TypeI don't know

Very pleased with product

Before subscribing to NBN 50, I have read this site for reviews and noticed that most of the complains had to do with Customer service. Since I already have an ADSL 2+ running at home, I am willing to take the risk and go ahead with Exetel's NBN, so if there were problems with install, I still have my ADSL running. My experience with Exetel was a very pleasant one, from online registration up to NBN activation, everything was smooth. NBN installed the cables and Exetel promptly activated the internet less than 10 minutes after the NBN connection was ready. I guess, as long as you don't need to contact Exetel Customer service, things should be fine.

Connection TypeHFC (Cable)

worse customer service,never get promised speed.

once you are a customer you wont get a chance to talk to customer service team. you have to wait in the line for hours to talk to them. infact when your turns come to talk to them, they will disconnect the phone. you would never get a promised speed on their nbn. i took nbn50 and what i am getting is 12mbps. i am warning all the new custlomers. please dont make mistake by going w*ith them

Connection TypeI don't know

Do Not Use Exetel!!!

It is now 3 weeks since we signed up for NBN with Exetel and still we have not internet. I have been continuously passed department to department only to hear I am caller number 50-90 and the wait will be an hour plus. I have called them 10 times now.

To make it worse I am continually told that I need to keep the nbn device connected which I have done so we have been without any internet most of the time. Oh and they have started the billing period.

Literally the worst service provider I have ever dealt with

One star is one start to many for this provider

Start DateJune 2019
Connection TypeFTTC (Fibre to the Curb)

Worst service ever

Don’t fall for a trap.. it is very hard to get hold of these creeps.. once you locked in contract can’t do much. Tech support is crap and to get hold you need to hold the line for 90-99 mins.. that’s horrible. don't choose exetel

Start DateFebruary 2019
Data TypeUnlimited Data
Connection TypeFTTB (Fibre to the Building)

On The Phone Now - The Pits - Avoid, not worth the Savings.

Attempting to get an NBN installation. Customer service non existent - lucky if you can actually get hold of someone. Get ready to wait for over an hour to speak with an agent. The call-back feature is not always offered - very inconsistent. No problem solving unless you chase it up - NOTHING will happen. Further agents do not want to listen.

Sooo Painful.

Connection TypeFTTN (Fibre to the Node)

ok speed, good customer service, reasonable price

their ADSL2 didn't work too well at my place (admittedly it's an old building and the cable is probably all busted).

I've now replaced that with their mobile broadband, the speed was actually not bad and the price is good! I actually used over 30G last week and found out it's only $10/G for excess.

What's better yet, they have a setting that controls overspend as well, so overall I'm quite happy.

1+ hour wait time for help over the phone

Hi all,

Wanted to cancel a certain plan and after being directed to one department, i was then told i need to speak to another department. Wait time was quoted at 62mins. I ended waitng close to 90 minites. Get luck dealing with this company if you sign up to their services

Start DateOctober 2018

Very happy

Often when I have bad experiences, I made sure to write a review, but I feel Exetel deserves to be commended with my recent install. I am sure there are far less satisfied customers writing reviews. Exetel scheduled an install date (7 weeks lead time), but were able to reduce that by 3 weeks after a cancellation. Install happened smoothly as per schedule. The modem arrived on the install date (a few days earlier would have been even better).
Although we are paying for a 50Mbps plan, we negotiate at 35Mbps due to the distance of the Node (FTTN). Exetel emailed to notifiy us that our achievable speed was lower then what we were paying for, so offered to change our plan to a slower speed (25Mbps), but we thought paying for 50Mbps and getting 35Mbps was a better option. There doesn't seem to be too much conjestion on Exetel's network, we haven't had issues with speed in the evenings. There was lots of communication through the onboarding process and they have asked for our feedback. Finally, Exetel offers the cheapest NBN Plans, so for the price, I couldn't be happier.

Connection TypeFTTN (Fibre to the Node)

Received an invoice for a service I do not have. I am not a customer.

I have not been a customer of Exetel for a few years due to poor service and slow speeds.
I have just now randomly received an invoice from them (not spam or a scam) for a service I do not have. I don't even have this service with another provider. I simply to not have this service and haven't for a number of years. This invoice was issued this month. June 2019. Now I have to waste my time sorting thier mistakes out.

Start DateJanuary 2017
Connection TypeWireless
Hi Aaron, We sincerely apologise! Obviously, we don't like it when mistakes happen. We've sent you a private message and would like to work with you to understand how this occurred. We look forward to hearing from you. Kind regards, Exetel

Be Very Very Warned

Be very very warned: requested confirmation of real speed before joining a contract that has a $299 exit fee AND they ONLY take direct debit, so difficult to alter or cancel. They have your bank details. no invoice available.
Waited 2hours 12 min to tech support before agreeing to contract - they were unwilling to confirm reality beyond the node due to me not willing to pay either a month to month entry fee or sign for 12mths with HUGE exits. NB they would only release the contract if the fault was on the NBN line so basically the real speed could be 25% of quoted and Id have no recourse in their fine print.
Be Very wary - obviously due to the CAnstar rating I thought this company would be good value but they must have "bought" that rating as its a scam - thankfully there are enough others warning of poor service from this company - BTW no Australian helpline so standard overseas arrogant attitude as the TOI has no real jurisdiction for SLS

Connection TypeFTTN (Fibre to the Node)

Does what it says on the tin.

I've been with exetel for about 10 years, with the last 3 on FTTN. Exetel excel at being a cheap but good value provider. I've had no major issues and i've always found their support services to be helpful. Recomend if you're looking to save.

Start DateMarch 2016
Data TypeCapped Data

Absolutely the worst customer service plus over charging

- couldn't arrange a nbn appt, so returned modem in box
- canceling took 3 phone calls with wait times over half an hour each time
- was assured in writing I would receive a refund
- a month later i am charged $140 for the modem i returned
- received another email 2 weeks later saying id been refunded
- I have not been refunded

Would be more effective getting tin cans and string

No response

Emailed support asking for modem setting for NBN connection over 2 weeks ago with multiple follow up emails - zero response! The only option is to call and wait almost 1hr on hold, which has been the case every single day. While they have good plans and have generally been alright over the years (been with them for many years), this has been the worst I've experienced and very poor service. Lift your game Exetel!

Connection TypeFTTC (Fibre to the Curb)

Pathetic service

I signed up with Exetel for nbn 100Gb plan with home phone add on 10 weeks ago. Instead, they connected me to the unlimited plan (and have been overcharging me for two months), and did not connect my phone or port my old phone number. I have not had a phone service for over two months now, still not fixed. Multiple emails to Exetel over the past two weeks with no joy. Customer service and reliability is zero. Find another company, hopefully one which does what they are contracted to do, and then talks with you when you need them.

Connection TypeFTTN (Fibre to the Node)

I have only just connected and been able to download over 20GB in under 2 hours!

Really pleased with exetels price, customer service and speeds. Just upgraded to nbn 50. Very very happy with speed! I blamed my laptop but it was my old cable connection causing my problems. Used to use Optus but they weren't competitive on pricing. Connection with exetel was completed quickly, modem arrived a couple days later. Took about 15 min to figure out how to configure and where the security key was (sticker on modem). Looking forward to getting Netflix now!

poor experience.

My Modem broke after 2 weeks

The process to get it replaced has taken many hours and is on going for 5 days

Emailing or Facebook messenger messages take at least half a day to get a reply. Or they don't reply.

Ringing for help takes about 1 hour on hold.

Asking how long it will take to get a replacement modem was not answered. In the end it took 4 days.

They have threatened to charge $180 if I do not return the old modem and they have given me a deadline to return it.

The return satchel for the modem looks like star track. Do I call star track to come get it? In guessing because there are no instructions and no star track phone number . Maybe I take it to the post office.

If the courier or post office damage the modem they will charge full price. I assume that is $180.

I'm stuck on their contract. The early termination fee is $275 seeing as I have only been using them for 3 weeks all up

Thankfully out of the meriad of emails which have just gotten me frustrated, one customer service operator called Dario has helped. Rather than threaten fees or ignored my requests he has done his best to assist

My advice to exetel. Improve your processes to not make your customers feel like they are an inconvenience.
Don't rely on your 12 month entrapment business model.
The only thing that sets one NBN reseller apart from the next is their customer service.