Fiat 500
See the Best Hatchbacks in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for Fiat? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

• Braking
  • Features
dx020406
dx020406AU

Fiat 500S fun car

Three years ago I purchased a 2016 Fiat 500S which is the one with the 1.4 litre 74kw (100hp) engine, despite my having misgivings about Fiat products. It's a beautiful little car with a quality fit out inside and it's like driving an upmarket go cart.
The fuel economy is not quite as good as I expected 5.4l/100kms at 100kph and the placement of the throttle pedal is a bit strange. Apart from that, it's a car you just want to have a fun drive with and I can't see myself ever wanting to sell it.

Helen
HelenPerth, WA

Be very careful

Purchased in September 2016 at DVG Melville.

tassietony
tassietonyHobart, TAS

Has Never Missed a Beat

My wife has a 2014 500S Dualogic. She loves this car. It is well made, goes like the clappers and has been Totally reliable. Servicing costs every 12 months at a Fiat dealer are around $320. Its a quality build. Nothing breaks or falls off. Transmission has not missed a beat. Our Fiat/Alfa dealer says they Never have any issues with 500's. So there.

Purchased in April 2015.

Melina I.
Melina I.Sydney, NSW

Mechanically A1 loved this car with all my heart

I'm selling mine after 5-6 years with only 28,000 kms. What a sad day it will be when I watch it drive away...but alas, can't fit bikes and scooters or even a full size stroller so, with a heavy heart, it's time to say arrivederci. Ive had nothing but joy from this car. I bought it new in 2016 and I've loved driving it every single km. Highly recommended from me.

Purchased in April 2016 for $13,000.00.

Sasha
SashaSydney, NSW

Hell and back

I have been stranded so many times, transmission has a major fault sick of paying for temporary 2week fixes, literally the worst experience ever. Fiat should recall and refund, never again

Purchased in April 2014 for $15,000.00.

Banyek
BanyekWestern Australia

2014 Fiat 500 pop all about the looks

Purchased for $7,000.00.

Consumer, Melbourne
Consumer, MelbourneGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Known Transmission Problems - could not be fixed (Lemon)

Purchased in July 2018.

Smart shopping tips to help you make the most of Black Friday sales

Clara V.

Cameron S.
Cameron S.12 Jan 2021
our-latest-expert-car-reviews
not happy

looks cute but poor quality

I use my car daily for mainly city or suburban driving. This car requires 6monthly services. I have had to spend over $2,000 for replacing extra items apart from regular service. I purchased the 2014 model in December of that year. In that time I have had to replace the battery, spark plugs and a very expensive sparkplug cover, tyres, air filter, front headlight, plate light, my number plate and its cover keep falling off, just to name a few. I have never had to spend this much extra to replace these items on a new car that has just been on the road for 4 years and has done just on 45k.

Date PurchasedDec 2014

happyhippy
happyhippySunshine Coast

Dashboard Cracks where airbag is and Fiat won't fix! Only out of warranty 6 months!

Date PurchasedNov 2015

Ginny
Ginny

Transmission was an issue but lucky enough to get Giat to fix

Always wanted one of these since having an original. Mine too after 38000 km started sticking in neutral leaving me stranded in the road. Luckily I had just bought it from a garage and they replaced the clutch less gearbox with reference to s known fault. Glad I didn’t buy it privately. Haven’t really loved it so much since.

Date PurchasedJuly 2017
Steve
SteveDONCASTER

Stay away, very unreliable and dangerous car

My wife purchased this car a couple of years ago and it was all good until the transmission started playing up.
With just 28.000klms on the clock the car started dropping into neutral while driving leaving here in the middle of the road. Fiat customer support in Australia is terrible and want to charge $7500 to repair this problem.
My advice to anyone looking to buy one of these is DONT. Not worth it as the Dualogic automatic is just rubbish.
Do a search on one of the Fiat forums at (www.fiatforum.com) and you will find out all the details.

BadgeSport
Date PurchasedMay 2014

Andy H
Andy HBrisbane

500S 6Sp

I have owned my fiat for 3 years and never had any issues with it. I have decided to part with it though as it’s incredibly small and I want something a bit bigger with a bit more power. Not the greatest in hills but gets you where you’re going.

BadgeS
TransmissionManual
Date PurchasedOct 2015

Salospeed issues

I am really concerned and scared to drive my Fiat now. I am having dreadful issues with the transmission. Fiat refuse to fix under warranty when it is clearly a manufacturer issue. Fiats were recalled in USA for the same issues. I can be driving along the freeway when it automatically goes into neutral. Very scary when there is a huge semitrailer behind you. So I gently pull over. The car won’t start again so I wait. After about 10 mins it will start. Often it won’t start in the morning or you try to reverse park and the car won’t go into reverse. This has been happening regularly since I first purchased it in 2014. I am at my wits end. Sick of arguing with Fiat. Does anyone else have this problem. We need to look at a class action!

Date PurchasedApr 2014
lamster
lamsterSydney, NSW

Fiat 500 C Pop

If you buy a Fiat it will make you happy when you get in it, that’s how I would sum up the experience. With regards to the drive it is characterful which is a good way of saying unique, I would recommend test driving it because the duallogic gear box is not for everyone. My only complaint is the dealership programs 6 monthly servicing in the car computer and the log book says 12 months so I think this is excessive. Surprisingly there is enough room for four passengers. Ours is in red with an open top, in Autumn, Spring and Summer you forget about all the little quirks and just enjoy the open experience. Preferably with a latte in hand facing the beach :)

Date PurchasedAug 2016

All look no substance

Let's be honest, no one ever buys a fiat for performance. Its all for the look.
I bought a fiat 500c 2016 in mint green.
If you are happy to struggle uphills, constantly have issues arise in your car (anti roll back cut out whilst you are on a hill), pay for approximately $600 per routine service (basic service) and waste heaps of time dealing with car sales/service people.......go ahead.
Getting a reliable German, Japanese or Korean car that has lots of competition for servicing is the way to go.

TransmissionManual
Date PurchasedAug 2016

Jeff L.
Jeff L.asked

How much should I pay for 55,000 km service please?

tim
tim

I just did a 70 000 k service on my wifes 4 iridium ngk plugs $53 selinia 5 w 40 oil $75 ryco z411st filter $22
Took me an hours labour, and im old with arthritis joins and a knee replacement, make sure you use the selenia oil or buy a new engine !You should probably do the timing belt $120 bucks including idler bearings ,you need a special cam tool to do this ,and follow the procedure, took me two hours.
Pay a specialist fiat mechanic three hours labour, plus the parts total would be around parts $270 to $300 labour $300 I hope this helps ,we bought our car new I have serviced scince second service ,never missed a beat ,but I read the book ,most mechanics dont read the book and use generic oil. I hope this helps I am in Brisbane if you need help google royaltouroz to contact me

MarkandLynn
MarkandLynnasked

Just wanted to thank you all. We nearly made a tragic mistake in seriously considering a Fiat 500 convertable purchase.
Will keep away.

David4242asked
500 2008-2015

2012 Fiat 500 Twinair, cylinder misfiring. Mechanics have replaced coil packs, new spark plugs, oil change and engine flush, cleaned throttle body. All to no avail.. Any ideas?

not happy

my problem ended up being a loose wire. after changing the spark plugs, and what holds the spark plugs and a couple of other things it still came back to running really rough and losing power.

David4242

so did you get it solved in the end?

Fiat 500

No reviews yet
CategoryHatchbacksHatchbacksHatchbacksHatchbacks
Starting Price $19,990$21,490$19,490
TransmissionManualAutomaticAutomatic
Drive TypeFront Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)
Fuel TypePetrolPetrolPetrol
Engine4 Cylinder 1.2L4 Cylinder 1.2L4 Cylinder 1.2L
Max Power51kW @ 5500rpm51kW @ 5500rpm51kW @ 5500rpm
Max Torque102Nm @ 3000rpm102Nm @ 3000rpm102Nm @ 3000rpm
Country of ManufacturePolandPolandPoland
Manufacturer Warranty3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)
Compare all 14 Fiat 500