Ford Falcon FG

See the Best Sedans in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Incredible car, built too last. Still looks new, serviced 10 times in 5 years, highly reccommend.

Great for commuting; with space whilst looking great. You won't spend a fortune servicing and the black leather interior/sport function is as powerful as you need for our roads. Very quick, only issue which is a known issue (tailshaft) goes at 90-110 thousand km, just had mune re-built and running a dream again. This car will sore in value and is not easy to find in 2019 already.

Purchased in February 2014 at Ford Dealers for $34,990.00.

BoughtNew
Year2013

Ford Falcon XR6 -> Great choice for a 2nd hand car

The later Ford Falcons were an underrated car when they were released. Considering the ongoing costs, Falcons are a good option if you are hunting around for a 2nd hand car in the 7 to 10 year old category.

-> Grippy : good handling
-> Cheap parts. Front wheel bearings do tend to wear out and need replacing.
-> Cheap to run for the gas option (Eco LPi)
-> Good engine performance, no issue with the gas option

Handling could still be better compared to other cars but is still superior to the older Falcons. As long as you keep them serviced I Feel this is a fairly solid bet for 2nd hand car buyers.

Purchased in July 2019 for $13,309.00.

BoughtUsed
Year2012

Best Fuel Efficient Car

I recently bought a used 2012 ford falcon ecolpi which done 200k's. Its one of the best car I owned in terms of running costs and maintenance.It only cost me around 45 to 50 dollars depending on LPG price and get around 600kms easily. It's very powerful for a LPG only car and got 200kw. The only issue I found is the diff bushes are prone to crack which I replaced with a Nolathane bush and never had issues with it. So if you own an Fg and sick of replacing diff bushes go for the Nolathane or other similar quality ones. It bit expensive compared to the normal rubber bushes but saves you money and time in the long run.
So in short if anyone looking to buy a ecolpi dont hesitate just for it. Its a shame that we don't have anymore falcons

Best car

Reliable, affordable and has power. Use this car as my daily. Not much mechanical issues and cost is cheap to get fix. Can’t get a better Aussie vehicle than the falcon!

Purchased in July 2015.

Year2013

Seriously underrated car

The ford falcon was honestly such a great car. Never left my family stranded for over 100000kms. Bought new in 2011, unfortunate sold it in 2019. The engine was smooth and powerful, however pretty thirsty but acceptable for a 4 litre, always felt safe to drive. Lacked modern features but was designed to get you to A to B safely and the falcon got you to C and beyond. 100% recommend to any family on a budget or young driver wanting a good reliable safe car.

Purchased in February 2011.

BoughtNew
Year2011

Poorly built

Poorly built car. Constant problems with tyres wearing prematurely due to wheel alignment. I've had the wheels aligned numerous times, which hasn't fixed the problem. Warped brake discs and vibrations while driving. I've had the ICC replaced due to failure and the drive shaft repaired due to a bearing problem. I have zero confidence in the build quality of this car.
DO NOT BUY ONE!!!!

Date PurchasedNov 2015

Great Car

Great to drive, reliable, comfortable. the MK2 has a very good tech package, easy connectivity. Good ride. Used to drive to work and for leisure, about 25,000 km per year, bought it with 58,000 km on ODO. Initial service by Jarvis but seemed to be an expensive fluids only service, will now get serviced at willaston auto body repairs. No issues as yet.

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Best car in LPG

BadgeXT EcoLPi
Date PurchasedSep 2018

Purchased a G6E

After having the base model FG falcon and having no issues at all covering around 240,000 klms, decided to a get a G6E. Their hard to come by in decent condition, and I ended up getting one with around 240,000 which I would typically say is far to high, test drove it, seemed to drive as good as any of the others i drove with lesser klms and had all history, etc.... Since having the g6e which is far more superior to the base FG I've covered around 20,000 klms in 3 months mainly country travel. The g6e is still tight at around 260,000 and the motor shows no signs of tiring. This engine with the 6 speed auto is a good match and moves quiet well and smooth, the interior is brilliant, no rattles, comfy and feels solid, still appears brand new. Love the stereo, reverse camera, sonic sensors and basically the look of this model (2009). I'd compare this model similar to some of the European cars Ive driven with the difference being these cars rarely fault.

Date PurchasedMay 2018

Very smooth

I bought a 2009 fg xt in winter white with 160 000k for a very good price and it is a very good car and a better car than my previous VE commodore,as the car has a few kms on the clock I will tell of the associated problems with age,all that has gone wrong is the front discs were warped,roof lining was sagging and the boot light doesn't work right and when I tried to fix it,a fuse blew causing a strange "transmission not in park" warning on dash but that went away when I replaced the blown 5a fuse,but boot light still doesn't work other than that the car is great and a real bargain except it uses lots of fuel.

BadgeXT
Date PurchasedJun 2018

Loads of electrical faults

Comfortable.
Fuel efficiency 700km around town on a full tank $90
Easy to drive
Stereo could be better
Electronics have gremlins galore with constant faults ALL the time which really lets this car down.
Climate control is fantastic.
Servicing yourself is easy on thus car.
Safety features great
Worth a drive before buy

BadgeXT EcoLPi
Engine Size5.0
Date PurchasedMay 2011

It’s okay

My experience driving this car has been pretty good, it is nice and smooth. I like the interior, it is nice and roomy. The only thing I dislike about this car is it’s fuel efficiency, it is just really bad and I find myself having to fill up multiple times a week with e10 as it’s the cheaper alternative.

Date PurchasedApr 2016

Good to have this the car.

The car is awesome I only ever have owned fords.
But I must say the fg is the best car I have ever driven..
power handling looks ... it’s got it all
I will never buy another brand .
I think in the near future I will be the proud owner of the new mustang

BadgeXR8
Engine Size5.4
Date PurchasedMay 2018

nice car

i have a 2008 ford g6e, it's a comfortable car to drive, it handle ok could be better, i have loved these cars for a long time but when it comes to owning one you really see the problems they have, the diff bushes like to go a lot, which you think ford would have resolved the problem with their new falcons before they discontinued them, they drink a lot of fuel too! They are very spacious and too many people they're plain however i love the interior!

Date PurchasedApr 2017

One of the best sedans ever made.

Silky smooth 6 speed transmission, very quiet with virtually no road noise, responsive motor, well built suspension, abs and tractiion control work very well.

I have been in many situations where other drivers have pulled out directly in front of me, nearly side swiping me when they have changed lanes without looking etc, and this car has gotten me out of those dangerous situations without a single scratch.

It is good to hear that Ford's Australian engineering team is still going even though the factory is now closed down, here is hoping that they bring out a new falcon sedan soon.

Date PurchasedJan 2016

Wonderful car and so underated

I've owned my G6E for eight years now and have driven it over a variety of roads. No dust sealing problems and no rattles or squeaks. Every electronic item on it still works. Have used the car for local round town work and also interstate trips and it handles it all with finesse. Round town fuel usage is 9.5L/100km and country driving fuel usage is 7.0L/100km. Only consumables have been replaced like tyres and battery. The car is serviced by a local independent mechanic. The dealer I bought the car from has now gone out of business. I suppose one day I'll have to part with it but heaven knows what I'll replace it with. Nothing out there seems to be as good an all rounder as my G6E.

Date PurchasedAug 2009

Constant Error code.

I have a 2008 fg xt, Issue started afew months ago occasionally. I’d park my car, turn it off, take my keys out and when I open my door a little alarm goes off and a message pop up on my dash saying “transmission not in park”
It’s been happening a lot more now, almost every time.

BadgeXT
Date PurchasedAug 2016

It really is a great car.

Looks great, handles very well, comfortable, roomy, quiet, very economical yet powerful when pushed. The cruise control is very easy to operate and the avg/inst fuel computer readout is handy. Will rev to 6,000 rpm very quickly and the acceleration (in sports mode) is quicker than you would expect from a large sedan. The standard road height is a bit on the low side, so best to stick to good roads and beware of high kerbs and gutters. With regards to economy, it averaged 6.4 litres per 100/k driving from Adelaide to Melbourne, which would give it a touring range of 950+ km. Around the outer suburbs it averages 8.5. The RACV awarded the Ecoboost Falcon the C.O.T.Y. award back in 2012 when it was released. 6 years later, they have done a follow-up review in the April 2018 edition of Royal Auto magazine, and they still love it. I have just clocked up 69,000 Km and it still makes me smile when I get behind the wheel. It just has this kind of "road presence". The seating position, the arm-rests and the controls are just where you want them, and the ability to read a list of your mp3 songs in your USB stick up on the LCD screen puts the icing on the cake. One other thing to mention here is the 6-speed ZF transmission. It has "fuzzy logic" which means it gets to learn the way you drive, and it changes gear accordingly. If you tootle around like a pensioner then it makes for a very relaxing journey, but if you drive it like it's been stolen, well, let's just say you need to sit up and start concentrating. I've had other Falcons, (EA, EB, ED, BA, and BA Fairmont) but this one is just really nice. And in dark grey, it gets mistaken for the XR-6.

BadgeG6 EcoBoost
Engine Size2.0
Date PurchasedNov 2012

Iconic Aussie ute. Truly sad that they are no more.

XR50T 6 speed manual ute. Bought this ute 3rd hand - i suspect the initial owners had not looked after it all that well. Stone chips in the windscreen and a couple on the bonnet, some rust bubbles starting to show in the passenger door frame, dodgy battery, dirty engine bay, rear brake caliper seized, torn tonneau and the tub protector was bashed about. Fixed all of that and she looks a treat and the turboed engine at 270Kw/533Nm is a real gem. It embarrasses the badge-tragics in their over-priced german status symbols. I fell in love with the thing. The handling, while subject to the typical ute tail-happiness is a treat through the windies, the cabin interior is well designed and funky, clutch is light and progressive although it's a long throw between gears.
Then it started to play up with the engine immobiliser intermittently leaving the car un-startable. Ford forums on the Net suggested it was a less than optimal battery charge but I'd put a new battery in it. Put new batteries in the key fobs, had the ignition transponder tested, diagnostics didn't isolate the problem which would come and go until it finally called it quits entirely.
An auto-electrician thought it was likely the after-market theft alarm drip feeding off the battery and lessening its charge. He disconnected it and the issue has been resolved.
Practical performance at a bargain price. I love it again now that it's fully back in action. Almost as much fun as a motor bike.

BodyWhat?
BadgeXR6 Turbo 50th Anniversary
TransmissionManual
Date PurchasedAug 2016

Easy going comfy car

Handles beautifully around corners
Comfy on long drives and has a 2hr rest reminder
Love the interior and the embroidered Xr6 on the seats
Generally costs $70 to the tank to fill gets about 700km which is pretty good considering it's age and kms (126000)
Service costs me around $100 (oil filter & 10l of oil)

Date PurchasedApr 2015