Gaggia Classic

• Consistency
  • Milk Frothing

BillSydney, NSW

Be Warned before you buy

Very disappointed with this machine. So disappointed that we had our trusty 12 year old Sunbeam Cafe series, repaired and will dispose of the Gaggia Classic. The machine is so small that you can only get the smallest cup under the filter. Don't even think of trying to use a mug or the new double wall glass cups. They just don't fit under the filter. We tried to avoid buying Chinese made, so went with Gaggia, but this machine is not the one for us.

Purchased in July 2020 at Barista Warehouse for A$799.00.

Product is usedRarely
Smooch100

Smooch100Greater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Awesome coffee machine!

LOVE this machine, makes awesome coffee, easy to use and clean! Just don’t expect to get the perfect cup right away, took us a few goes after we purchased it and some practice. You definitely need to invest in a good grinder, or can get your ground beans from a local cafe. The steam wand is amazing, steams/froths the milk quickly and really well, and easy to clean. Also make sure you use the right tamping pressure to compact your coffee. We bought a new stainless steel coffee tamper as the one that comes in the box is a small plastic one. Overall, we’re happy with this purchase, the quality of the coffee is perfect and well worth the money spent.

Purchased in July 2020 at Harvey Norman.

reiBee

reiBee

Great home machine

We bought this machine in June 2020 and it's going great. Neither of us were coffee experts but we've picked it up pretty easily, this machine makes it simple enough.

Purchased in June 2020 at Appliances Online for A$646.00.

Manual / Semi-Automatic Coffee Machines

Find out how Gaggia Classic compares to other Manual / Semi-Automatic Coffee Machines

RortedGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

The best household appliance I have ever owned.

The one possession that's been with me for 20 years. Coffee as good as it gets. gets used almost every day. parts are available and cheap if necessary, Worth every cent, wish all appliances were this good again.

Purchased at David Jones Retail Stores for A$600.00.

jaseaway

jaseawaySydney, NSW

Great home coffee machine with some tweeking

I bought my Gaggia second hand from a very disappointed owner that only had it a few months. At first I could see her frustration this simple machine is not just a press of a button and her comes a perfect espresso. I had to play with the beans and grinds to get the correct flow and even had to replace my cheap grinder with a good one.
After many years of service it is still producing excellent morning coffees and well worth the time and investment of new grinder.

Purchased in May 2015 for A$300.00.

GrinderBreville Smart Grinder BCG800
Sam T.

Sam T.Illawarra, NSW

Keep saving up and buy a good machine for a bit more $

Went from the Saeco Via Venezia to this and they are world's apart. Within the first year of owning the machine, it needed a $100 of maintenance not covered by any warranty. The grind required for the coffee is very fine or it makes a weak coffee. The space between the arm and the base is too small for a standard mug so you have to take the tray out.
Took up all these with the imported to be told that these were all choices that I should have considered and really not interested.
My advise, save up a bit more than the $700 for this machine and get a good machine that is reliable.

Purchased in February 2018 for A$700.00.

M K.

M K.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Disappointing

Purchased in October 2019.

Khuntella

Khuntella

This machine is simple, and entirey appropriate technology for a good macchiato

Purchased in June 2019 at Myer Online Store for A$499.00.

GrinderSunbeam MultiGrinder EM0400
migo33

migo33Sydney, NSW

Durable, affordable espresso machine

I have a 2004 Gaggia classic and with the right maintenance routine it will last forever. Parts are relatively cheap and easy to replace. The only reason not to get good espresso from this machine are bad coffee bins and grinder.

Purchased in April 2013.

GrinderRancilio Rocky Grinder

Steve G

Steve Gwestern district

Barrista mornings

Date PurchasedOct 2018

A great starting espresso maker with a few minor setbacks

The Gaggia Classic is a easy machine to use and very forgiving. I have used many different kinds of beans in this machine and as long as the grind of the coffee is right, I am usually satisfied.
It is quite easy to use although it is a little clunky because of its size. I find myself having to negotiate the espresso cup under the portafilter to avoid spilling the coffee. Also the tamper is a little flimsy and is too small for the portafilter (easy fix, just buy a decent tamper). Cleaning isn't an issue.
I have had it for a little over a year and I am quite impressed with this device. I hope to have it for many more years to come.

Date PurchasedApr 2017
Philips S.Gaggia

We're very happy to hear to that you're well impressed with the Gaggia Classic, Nostrodamus! We really appreciate your feedback, thank you for sharing!

Simon i

Simon iTerrigal

Amazing
Have 2, one at home, one at work.
Make excellent coffe, better than you can buy most of the time.
Combine with a good grinder and it’s one of the best things you’ll ever buy
Can’t fault it
Very very very very very good

Date PurchasedAug 2008
Buddy

BuddyGeelong

I love my classic....

Had the machine 12 years. No real learning curve.. once you get the beans and grind of your desire, you'll want all your coffees made from a classic..
Cleaning is easy. Not sure if overflow pipe has been threaded since I purchased mine but it easily pulls out to allow resovoir tank access for cleaning.. Shower head only thing that needs a tool and in 12 years I've taken off twice to clean the holes (I'd advise to do more regularly, lol)..
the water pump has just gone on mine and again this machine shines, with everything inside easily disconnected with replaceable parts.. after a while you realise your in a secret club, only classic owners know the coffee that this machine can produce. Is there a fan club?

Date PurchasedJun 2006
Go_Hawkers

Go_Hawkersmelbourne

Excellent Coffee Every Day

If you love coffee you already know Gaggia and you might know about this machine too. It's the brilliant baby Gaggia and its sits in pride of place in our kitchen. I use it every day and am always interested in trying new roasters. This develops the real power you need to get a proper espresso extraction but you also need to have the touch and skill loading the basket just right, to get top results..I clean it after every coffee to keep it taint free - if you look after your equipment, it will look after you. It is solidly made and I expect to own ity for many years to come

Date PurchasedAug 2016
Alex R

Alex RSydney, NSW

Handy little thing, hard to clean

Date PurchasedOct 2016

estaleb

estalebshepparton

Almost perfect

Date PurchasedJun 2017
Ka R.

Ka R.Wentworth Falls

They don't make them like this anymore

So easy to use, such a consistently good brew, and over 11 years old second hand. What more can you ask.... I would highly recommend this workhorse, especially if you use a good brand of coffee and don't burn the milk. It is also very portable for taking away with you on weekends.

Date PurchasedMar 2007
Andrew

Andrew22a Tweed Street, Tauranga, NZ

The extract can be ok but not a reliable machine.

Having worked on a few Gaggias would not recommend these as a reliable machine. Ok at best.
I'm impressed people review them as highly as they are when there are cheaper options out there that can do both steam and coffee extraction at the same time.(breville(not recommended) or sunbeam)

N

Date PurchasedApr 2016
Paulie

Pauliecanberra

Fantastic machine, great quality

Makes fantastic coffee and is very consistent but requires you to be involved (which I love!). Upgraded the steamer for perfect microfoam and bought a good grinder. It will make several cups in succession for groups, Easy to use and clean, just about perfect! Make sure you clean regularly for best results.

Date PurchasedMar 2005
Martn

MartnSydney

Perfect coffee machine

I am very happy with this machine
I have been using it for seven years and nothing broke so good quality. The panels are made of stainless steel so It is easy to clean and like the name suggest, classic. It will always make a perfect expresso
Overall I would recommend buying this

Date PurchasedAug 2013
Philips S.Gaggia

Thanks for the review, Martn! Glad to hear you have been very impressed with your little Gaggia Classic.

pinkypetrie

pinkypetrieasked

Hi I have the gaggia classic, half way through a shot the water stopped coming through the head as much... Now it's just dribbling through and won't make a proper shot. The steamer is still working fine. What is the warrenty, on what I think is an issue, with the solenoid valve? Or where can I get it fixed in inner Melbourne?

Rorted

Both hoses in the water? Or Possibly a blockage, try descaling, cleaning shower head, or if it's an older machine, sometimes a deteriorating boiler can lose some inner wall lining that can block a channel?

Philips S.Gaggia

Thanks for contacting us here. We're sorry to hear you are having some issues with your Gaggia Classic coffee machine. This must be very inconvenient, especially in the mornings without a fresh cup of coffee. We would recommend cleaning the shower disk first and filter the basket clogged because the coffee might be too fine or compressed too firmly. If this does not work, we recommend contacting our colleagues directly at this number here: 1300 363 391 from Monday - Friday: 07:00 am - 07:00 pm EST (AU) or 0800 658 224 from Monday - Friday: 09:00 am - 09:00 pm (NZ).

SLS

SLSasked

Hello! I have a gagglia brera - has worked perfectly for several years. Now the light in the top left comes on to indicate that the water tanks needs to be re-filled - but it continues to come on and the machine will not work regardless of the water level in the tank. Please kindly advise! thanks,

Philips S.Gaggia

Hi there, thanks for asking. We advise you to contact our colleagues here for further assistance: https://www.segafredo.com.au/contact-us/

Yve

Yveasked

What's with the little black plug in the bottom of the filter holder?

PeteS
PeteS

Hi Yve. I'm not sure what it's called but you get a better crema with it in. I have the thin end in the outlet. It's sort of like one of those widgets the put in Guinness beer.

Get an answer from our members and Gaggia representatives

CategoryManual / Semi-Automatic Coffee Machines