GIO Car Insurance

GIO Car Insurance

Our insurance increased by 28%

Our insurance increased by 28% from last years to this years. After calling them they had no explanation and where happy for us to leave. From $1600 per year to $2000 per year. We made no claims. How do they justify that?

Insurance TypeCompulsory Third Party
Plan covers drivers under 25No
Car ModelVolkswagen Amarok 2H (2011-Present)

Unacceptable premium increase

Renewal stated "change on last year (plus) 18.5%". Rang GIO who stated that previous 2 year I'd been given a discount so this years renewal must be increased. The price was then dropped by $38. Is this anyway to treat an existing customer? Will not use GIO again.

Claim MadeNo

Better off not having the “roadside assistance”

I called the GIO roadside assistance to get my car’s battery checked and get it replaced. Apparently you have to be stranded in middle of nowhere to get them to come and “help” you.
They won’t give you a price as how much a better would cost etc. Not helpful

Worst customer experience

I took out my car insurance with GIO as it gave me the choice of my smash repairer. Having made a claim GIO now tells me it will take a month for one of their assessors to review the quote. The then say if I take it to their smash repairer 40km from where I live that they can fix it quicker, their process is to make it difficult for the customer too use their own smash repairer as per the policy conditions. People watch out as they will delay the process and still ask for the excess paid up front even though they haven't approved the fixing of the car.

Car ModelPorsche Cayenne
Claim DateApril 2019

Rude and disgraceful calling

The car incident was handling by GIO and the person who handled my case called me and very rude on the phone. They even make a false assumption to told me that if I cannot prove it wasn't my fault, then it was my fault in the car incident. This actually makes no sense as everything in legal should have evidence to prove not the other way.

Car ModelBMW 3 Series

Never again

Put unleaded into diesel car by mistake, was an "accident", guess what, 2 weeks till they told me not covered,
same thing happened to me last year with Landcruiser, RACV paid for repairs no questions asked.
Do not use this insurance company, I should have read all the reviews before signing up for full comprehensive cover.

Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim DateMarch 2019

Unethical practices at GIO

GIO insurance tries to force customers to use their "approved" panelbeaters who are no more qualified than anyone else but just prepared to accept a lower payment. They tried to get me to use one but I refused and rather took my car to BelAir at Gladesville - a longstanding business with a fantastic reputation AND a choice of courtesy cars !
Had I accepted the GIO panelbeater I would then have also had to hire a car (again GIO tried to shunt me towards their own choice of Hertz with a 10% discount).
My BelAir panelbeater sent my quote to GIO and that was on March 2nd or 3rd. They have informed me that their assessors will "get around to assessing the quote" around March 22nd !!!!!!!! This pathetic level of service needs to be exposed. Needless to say, after this repair it will be BYE BYE GIO and the multiple policies I have with them. After paying a $695.00 excess I expect GIO to get off their backsides !!!!!!!

Plan covers drivers under 25Yes
Claim DateMarch 2019

A bunch of sharks !!!

I have been involved in a serious pile up involving 4 car and a truck, my car has been written off and I don't know which car hit me. I supplied the insurance company with the Police Report number, as the Police wouldn't give me any other details. Now the insurance is charging me $650.00 excess although the accident wasn't clearly my fault. Absolutely disgusting, I have been with them for years, but after this, I'll be looking elsewhere.

Arturo Beltrami

Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim DateFebruary 2019
Claim ApprovedYes

So fa so good

One of the cheaper insurances on the market for p platers and very easy to set up. I haven't lodged a claim yet however been with them for 2 years.

Car ModelMazda 3

Disappointed

Got in a car accident that was my fault. Called GIO made a claim and they got me into their repairer pretty fast I took my car in the following week. I got told because my car is drivable and parts can come in very quickly it will take 4 business days so I can have my car by the weekend.
The next day I get a call my car is being taken to another repairer and I will get an update within 24 hours. Never got a call from anyone instead I have been chasing GIO up every second day and getting different responses and different answers from everyone.
My car has been there 2 and a half weeks now and my car hasn’t even been looked at and GIO refuses to do anything to help instead “I’ll be lucky if I get my car back within the month because the repairer is very busy”
Never going with GIO again for anything.

Plan covers drivers under 25Yes
Car ModelAudi A3
Claim DateJanuary 2019
Claim ApprovedYes

Never again

I’ve had all my insurances with this mob for years,had my harley stolen on the start of the month of January,reported to police,have a complaint number all details and excess payment made to insurance company.Received a call from gio investigator telling me I have to supply bank statements for two months,telephone records for period before n after theft,five year driving record,purchase documents of the bike,pictures of bike and the key to the bike and anything else they need and still they are taking payments out for the bike even though I have put the claim in,they state claims are settled in 14 days what a damn joke,quick to take your money but when it comes to paying you out it’s a whole new ball game.Your made to feel like a criminal,I will never insure with them ever again and will be taking all my business elsewhere from now on and I’ll be warning people not to insure with these money grabbing fools.Absolutely disgusted.

Good past experience

My son had two accidents in the past and both times he was at fault. The first accident the car was repaired quickly and i got to choose my own repairer. The second time the car was a write off , i got paid out quickly and the process was smooth. Happy with the outcome.

I am currently insured with NRMA and i had an appauling experience with them due to the hail storm. So i am definitely not renewing with NRMA and i will be coming back to GIO.

Worst claim procedure

I have been with gio over 1 year for comprehensive car insurance and house insurance and content . Once you make a claim that's when you they start giving you hard time.

Paid out fast

My car was written off due to a storm in November, I was paid out within 14 days of putting my claim in. They offered me a discount on my next insurance and kept me informed through the process. 3 cars were written by the same tree and mine was the first to be settled. I have insured through them again.

Insurance claim madeYes

The worst Insurance company in Australia, I wish they never existed.

Please do not take the insurance with this company, they won't repair your car and just try to say that the damage is not related to the accident by creating some reports. Moreover, you will have to go through the mental trauma because of their worst service.
It is just a Fraud insurance company, also frustrate you, mentally, financially.
Go with any other company but not GIO
Take the decision wisely and go with some other company. The worst and the pathetic service ever received, never existed support

Claim made Easy

Have been with GIO for 3 years. Lady drive into my rear causing significant damage that wasnt very visible from the outside. Person who hit me didnt answer calls, so i left all the info of the driver with GIO to chase up. I didnt have to pay an access. I made a NO Fault Claim. I chose my own repairer, claim was processed with ease. Then my repairer found more damage and GIO approved further repairs without any issues. Was also given a hire car for the 6 weeks that i had no car.
Fantastic service. Thank you GIO

Insurance claim madeYes

GIO Car Insurance..Excellent Service.

I recently had reason to deal with GIO and their help and service has been excellent in every way. Very happy.
Much easier to deal with than RACV.

Great Service!

I've been dealing with GIO for many years now and they have been a pleasure. Super easy to understand, up front about all conditions and didn't waste my time with extra steps and paperwork for "proof". Thought I would try Budget Direct...cancelled this policy and went straight back to GIO!

Insurance claim madeNo

Read if you can understand it, the product disclosure statement

Our business car with full comprehensive cover was involved in an accident and written off. Even though the other driver was 100% at fault, we now find ourselves thousands of dollars out of pocket. Our premium increased from $2400- to $3400- per year. We were not entitled to a refund on our old policy (we were forced to take out a new policy) a loss of another $1000- we were also gouged with other fees as it was a business car and also not entitled to a refund of our registration. One of the excuses for the $1000- increase to our premium was that drivers of Ford Mondeos (our new car) have more accidents than those that drive Ford Falcons (our old car) Dealing with GIO has also been extremely frustrating, given that our business is totally reliant on our car we had hoped that they would try and have our car assessed quickly, it took them 8 business days, all the while we were in the dark, not knowing if our car could be repaired or we needed to buy another car. They were so slow and frustrating to deal with we had to take the risk and buy another car before our car was assessed to ensure that we could keep our business running. We have been with GIO for 7 years and have 3 policies with them. Time to change.

DO NOT USE THEIR REPAIRERS WHEN YOU ARE NOT AT FAULT

If you are involved in an accident with a GIO insured driver, and you are not at fault, and you have your own insurance, I STRONGLY recommend you use your own insurance company rather than dealing with GIO. I was rear ended by one of their drivers and foolishly allowed GIO to take over repairs. They claimed the car was a write off and reported it as such to RMS so that I was unable to take the car back to make my own repairs. The market value assessment I received was pitiful. They initially assessed my car as having a market value of $3,700 - but admitted the salvage value was $1,700. Go figure. To add insult to injury, they made me get a replacement registration certificate because I had left the car registration certificate in the glove box and they refused to get the registration certificate from their holding yard. As God as my witness, I will NEVER insure ANYTHING with GIO for the rest of my life.
If you hold a comprehensive motor policy with GIO and your car is not relatively new and is insured for market value, think very carefully about whether it is really worth your while. If their market value assessment of my car is anything to go by, you are probably better off just getting a third party policy and putting the difference in premium into your bank account.
PS - Another thing: GIO will NEVER put anything in writing when they deal with you other than to say that they have tried to contact you and could you ring them. Make sure you take file notes of, or record any conversation you have with their assessor or claims staff.