GIO Car Insurance

How to compare car insurance to find the best policy for you

Read now

• 1-2 weeks (2)
    • 2-4 weeks (8)
    • 1-2 months (5)
    • 3+ months (7)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (22) · No (13)

Vina

VinaGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Warning !! GIO insurance have very low moral and professional standards !!!!

Avoid

Dissatisfied with my experience with this insurers. Communication sub par, not transparent, would not share documentation, inconvenienced me. Dealings with other insurers have been much better, I would not willing deal with them again.

Lilly

Lilly

Terrible long delays

- very bad value compared to other inhsurers of the past
-Long delay’s assessing my claim 2.5 weeks
-Longer delays for repairs 4 weeks & still not available estimated eta by repairer further 8 weeks
- can’t recall
- Na

Customers should be informed of such avoidable long delays

KVSKPSydney, NSW

Complete waste of time and money

Jen

JenSouth-Eastern Region, NSW

Great Service

Short story: My car was assessed as a write off at no fault of my own - after a speeding vehicle ploughed into it. My car was not worth a lot so I only had opted for compulsory and third party property damage. GIO were very helpful and sympathetic. They organised towing, and I received a lump sum payment for equivalent value of vehicle - even though the other driver was uninsured. The value of vehicle was not enough to buy another family car, however it helped and I wish to thank GIO for being helpful during a very stressful time. Thank you

48 % Increase on my monthly installment, (After Remediation the increase has now been withdrawn)

After being with GIO for 33 years and had no claims or accidents, I had someone cause $350 damage to my car through vandalism, and no fault of mine. I paid the excess of $650 to have it fixed through GIO correctly, and I found out there insurer used the same method to repair it as the $350 quote I received elsewhere. The following year my policy increased by a massive 48%, due to this one claim. After speaking to 4 customer service consultants, the matter has now been resolved and in fact, I received a discount.

Do not use

Don’t bother getting the road side assist add on. Requested a tow truck and they wouldn’t send one until a battery guy came. After waiting an hour, he confirmed in less than 30 secs he arrived that I need to order a tow truck. Requested one and they advised estimated time for tow truck was up to 90mins. Waited over 3 hours for tow truck. I was in the Sydney metro areas.
Every time I called to get an update a new person would answer and will have to repeat the same details.
Honestly go anywhere else for insurance / road side assist.

Perthite20

Perthite20Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

This insurance is not worth the paper it is written on

Aaron C.

Aaron C.

Treated like a criminal then abandoned.

Terrible and disgraceful service. 4 months and still no word on my car. No communication. Took my excess and towed my car left me with nothing. Stay away from gio

Rina

RinaSydney, NSW

Terrible Claim Service

I have GIO Platinum Car Insurance and have spent the last 13 days trying to progress my claim. There is no customer care; the Assessor was sarcastic displaying no empathy; no rapport and you are treated like a number.

Samuel

Samuel

Wonderful service on claim.

I moved from NRMA after 35 years & joined GIO for all my insurance policies last year.
A few months ago I had someone ran into the back of my car. I rang claims & was very impressed with the service. My car was booked in for repairs 2 days later. Arrived @ repair shop & was given uber ride to car rental hire, for great rental car for 3 days until my car was fixed.
When my car was ready I returned rental & got uber to repai shop (All covered by GIO.
Repair was perfect & service fantastic. Soo happy with all the results.
Regards Sam Norris

Lisa s.

My life is destroyed and I'm only 30

Insurance TypeCompulsory Third Party

Be aware of GIO

GIO ignored my claim having wrong timestamps. GIO is unable to track their own timestamps of calls that i have made. Now it's under review and I'm driving a car that cannot be locked.Samething can happen to you and be aware.

Not At Fault Claim, Can't hire a car which is the same make and model to yours

Not at fault claim, waited for nearly 3 months to have it repaired. We were not allowed to hire the car that we used to drive, but hire what's allocated to us because the claim department could not justify spending up to $100 per day to hire a car for us, even though that was stated in our Platinum Comprehensive policy. Not recommended at all.

SiddiqueSydney, NSW

Not At Fault Claim

Ms D

Ms DSydney, NSW

My car smashed by Capital Smart after GIO did not offer me choice of repairer as per policy.

Rod A.

Rod A.Illawarra, NSW

Worst Company for CTP’s

Anonymous

AnonymousSydney, NSW

Very slow and not helpful claim recovery

My fence was damaged by a third party car insured with GIO.
GIO made no effort to get quotations but pushed the work to the impacted parties.
Quotes submitted for more than a week with no response from GIO, and impacted parties got to call to follow up. And still no immediate action to recover the claims for repairs for more than 2 weeks. Have no trust in GIO claim management and efficiency at all.

Avoid this company

Just because you're paying for the highest cover, doesn't mean they actually cover everything. Were happy to sign us up and take our money but couldn't care less about the situation they left us in.

Renee C.

Renee C.asked

Car Insurance

Can you add another vehicle to roadside assist or does it cost extra?

Joseph M.

Joseph M.asked

Car Insurance

I just bought a car and I’m in the process of transferring the car into my name but until i get that done I need to get a road worthy done so I’ve purchased a permit to get to my mechanic etc so I need to know that if an accident occurs will I be covered

Tina

Tinaasked

Car Insurance - Comprehensive

Can I take my car to any car repairer of my choice.

Fired Up
Fired Up

The answer is listed in their website or one phone call away

john smith
john smith

call GIO & ask them

Get an answer from our members and GIO representatives

GIO Car Insurance

Compare all 5 GIO Car Insurance
CategoryRoadside Assistance Providers and Car InsuranceRoadside Assistance Providers and Car InsuranceRoadside Assistance Providers and Car InsuranceRoadside Assistance Providers and Car Insurance
Other Insurance Types Offered Business, Home and Contents, Life and TravelBusiness, Home and Contents, Life and TravelBusiness, Home and Contents, Life and TravelBusiness, Home and Contents, Life and Travel
Coverage TypeComprehensiveComprehensiveThird Party, Fire and TheftThird Party Property Damage
UnderwriterAAIAAIAAIAAI
Legal Liability Cover Included up to $20 millionIncluded up to $20 millionIncluded up to $20 millionIncluded up to $20 million
Roadside Assistance IncludedIncludedOptional ExtraOptional Extra
Reduced or Zero Excess Windscreen CoverZero Excess IncludedZero Excess Optional ExtraNot OfferedNot Offered
Choice of RepairerAllowedAllowedAllowedAllowed
After Accident Care
Emergency Transport & AccommodationIncluded up to a total of $1,000Included up to a total of $1,000Included up to a total of $1,000Not Included
Towing Costs IncludedIncludedIncludedNot Included
Hire Car after a No Fault Accident

• you or the driver of your car were not at fault for the incident; and

• you have provided the name and address of the person at fault and the registration number of their vehicle;

• you or the driver of your car were not at fault for the incident; and

Essential / Emergency RepairsIncluded up to $1,000Included up to $1,000Included up to $1,000Not Included
Benefits
Pay As You Drive / Fixed Kilometre DiscountNot OfferedNot OfferedNot OfferedNot Offered
Hire Car after Theft

Included up to $75 per day for up to 21 days

Included up to $75 per day for up to 21 days

Lock and Key ReplacementNot IncludedNot IncludedNot IncludedNot Included
Trailer & Caravan CoverIncludedIncludedIncludedIncluded
Child Safety Seats and PramsIncluded up to a total of $750 per itemIncluded up to a total of $750 per itemIncluded up to a total of $750 per itemNot Included
New-for-old Car Replacement

Earlier of 2 years

Earlier of 2 years

Not Included

Personal Property CoverIncluded up to $1,000Included up to $1,000Included up to $1,000Not Included
Uninsured Motorist Benefit Not IncludedNot ApplicableIncluded up to $5,000Included up to $5,000
Accidental Loss or Damage