natalie isaacs

natalie isaacsSydney, NSW

Want to hear a million answering machine options, then ads, then 15 minutes wait (ads). Call GIO

Shocking customer service. I wanted to go with them but oh my goodness. I gave up before l even started. Just to talk to something which l never did took more than 15minutes so l called another provider instead.

Car ModelToyota 86 ZN6 GTS Manual
Claim MadeNo

You always pay an excess even when you aren't at fault

I've been a customer for years and when I finally needed to actually make a claim for damage while the car was parked, I was told I'd pay the excess. They refused to proceed with the claim without charging my credit card first.

Car ModelHyundai i30 GD
DdA83

DdA83perth

Refused to insure road worthy car with minimal aesthetic damage

Title. Refused to insure road worthy car with minimal aesthetic damage on the passenger side door. They said they would not insure a car with anything other than wear and tear damage. Called RAC and they had no problem whatsoever. Extremely disappointed with this service that we had on a different car for more than five years.

Car ModelHyundai Accent

Rod B.Sydney Surrounds, NSW

Right of repairer with GIO does not exist

Claim MadeYes
Claimant is the policy holder Yes
Claim Resolution Time3+ months
Claim DateJune 2019

PETER SHAHEEN

PETER SHAHEENSydney Surrounds, NSW

they advertise on there website choose your own repairer but it’s a load of crap they are dodgy and dishonest

Worst insurance company to deal with don’t believe anything they say. They just past you on to one department and tell what you want to hear then pass you on again.
This has taken 8 weeks and still not resolved, the worst thing is I’m not at fault driver I should have gone with the 3rd party insurance company they told me it’s easier to go with them, what a load of crap 3 different complaint departments without been resolved
They are great at apologies and blaming other departments, always read the fine print no wonder they have so many bad reviews

Car ModelMercedes Benz SL500

Chris C

Chris CGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Care factor BIG ZERO

Called to talk about the renewal of my car insurance policy, where my premium increased while the vehicle value decreased with no claims done. Consultant arrogant and condescending, just brushed me off. I advised that with that kind of service I will not be renewing. They did not care in the least. Haven't even tried to work out a better offer. Will never return to GIO.

Insurance TypeThird Party, Fire and Theft

Simona M

Simona MMelbourne

Very impressed thank you GIO

I called to change my mailing address for my car insurance, the lady on the phone backdated it as far as she could and adadvised i can email a copy of proof of settlement to have it backdated further. This is 7 months worth so very significant. I appreciate it and easy to deal with. Thank you!

Jane Wilder

Jane Wilder

These guys are slippery "Choice of repairer” listed as a benefit to you means THEIR choice!

When I purchased the policy I bought the platinum cover for a prestige vehicle and was told I had choice of repairer.
My husband has just had a bad smash and we wanted it towed to our repairer.
GIO now says no way this actually means THEY get to choose the repairer!
How can it be listed as benefit to us if this is the case?!
Of course the fine print supports what they say but this is straight out misrepresentation I intend to complain to the Ombudsman.

Car ModelPorsche Cayenne 9YA E-Hybrid
Claim DateJune 2019

GIO policy increase

Policy has increased by $10 per month with no explanation,I am assuming its over a claim from last year but not 100% on this.I have been with GIO for 16 years and have found them to be efficient and have they gone beyond with insuring my claim went thru.

Insurance TypeCompulsory Third Party
Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks

Our insurance increased by 28%

Our insurance increased by 28% from last years to this years. After calling them they had no explanation and where happy for us to leave. From $1600 per year to $2000 per year. We made no claims. How do they justify that?

Insurance TypeCompulsory Third Party
Plan covers drivers under 25No
Car ModelVolkswagen Amarok 2H (2011-Present)

Unacceptable premium increase

Renewal stated "change on last year (plus) 18.5%". Rang GIO who stated that previous 2 year I'd been given a discount so this years renewal must be increased. The price was then dropped by $38. Is this anyway to treat an existing customer? Will not use GIO again.

sam

samSydney, NSW

Better off not having the “roadside assistance”

I called the GIO roadside assistance to get my car’s battery checked and get it replaced. Apparently you have to be stranded in middle of nowhere to get them to come and “help” you.
They won’t give you a price as how much a better would cost etc. Not helpful

Insurance claim madeYes

JamesB

JamesB

Worst customer experience

I took out my car insurance with GIO as it gave me the choice of my smash repairer. Having made a claim GIO now tells me it will take a month for one of their assessors to review the quote. The then say if I take it to their smash repairer 40km from where I live that they can fix it quicker, their process is to make it difficult for the customer too use their own smash repairer as per the policy conditions. People watch out as they will delay the process and still ask for the excess paid up front even though they haven't approved the fixing of the car.

Car ModelPorsche Cayenne
Claim DateApril 2019

John Zhi

John ZhiGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Rude and disgraceful calling

The car incident was handling by GIO and the person who handled my case called me and very rude on the phone. They even make a false assumption to told me that if I cannot prove it wasn't my fault, then it was my fault in the car incident. This actually makes no sense as everything in legal should have evidence to prove not the other way.

Car ModelBMW 3 Series
Porsche

PorscheGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Never again

Put unleaded into diesel car by mistake, was an "accident", guess what, 2 weeks till they told me not covered,
same thing happened to me last year with Landcruiser, RACV paid for repairs no questions asked.
Do not use this insurance company, I should have read all the reviews before signing up for full comprehensive cover.

Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks

Claim DateMarch 2019

Arturo

ArturoGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

A bunch of sharks !!!

I have been involved in a serious pile up involving 4 car and a truck, my car has been written off and I don't know which car hit me. I supplied the insurance company with the Police Report number, as the Police wouldn't give me any other details. Now the insurance is charging me $650.00 excess although the accident wasn't clearly my fault. Absolutely disgusting, I have been with them for years, but after this, I'll be looking elsewhere.

Arturo Beltrami

Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim DateFebruary 2019

Imo

ImoSydney, NSW

So fa so good

One of the cheaper insurances on the market for p platers and very easy to set up. I haven't lodged a claim yet however been with them for 2 years.

Car ModelMazda 3

Never again

Insurance claim madeYes

PETER SHAHEEN

PETER SHAHEENasked

It looks like you guys are in the habit of telling customers one thing then doing something it’s shame a company of that size has gone that way. I will never take insurance from Gio or any of there companies and I will tell everyone as I’m a car dealer and plenty of customer ask me for my option you have lost my business and my family’s and anybody I can tell
Regards
Peter Shaheen

Kanj

Kanjasked

Why would I need to pay an extra $175.01 for green slip. That is definitely not my fault, it is your responsibility to provide customers with a correct amount to pay. You can’t say pay $580 by the due date and after couple of weeks send them a letter saying that you need to pay extra money. If I knew I had to pay that much extra, I would have chosen another substitute (there are heaps of companies out there). This is horrible!!
Any advice as to who I can complain about that?

jenny H

jenny Hasked

My friend s had their car written off not their fault .After two weeks they were told by two people working for you that they would be getting a brand new car the same as their old one .Two weeks later been told no that want happen .The car is under two yrs old but not an xdemo it is up to you people to have your facts right that is not good enough

Get an answer from our members and GIO representatives

GIO Car Insurance - Platinum Comprehensive

GIO Car Insurance - Fire, Theft and Third Party Property Damage

GIO Car Insurance - Third Party Property Damage

GIO Car Insurance - Third Party Property Damage

No reviews
GIO Car Insurance - Compulsory Third Party (NSW / ACT)

GIO Car Insurance - Compulsory Third Party (NSW / ACT)

No reviews
CategoryRoadside Assistance and Car InsuranceRoadside Assistance and Car InsuranceRoadside Assistance and Car InsuranceRoadside Assistance and Car InsuranceRoadside Assistance and Car Insurance
Contact Number 13 10 1013 10 1013 10 1013 10 1013 10 10
Other Insurance Types Offered Business, Home and Contents, Life and TravelBusiness, Home and Contents, Life and TravelBusiness, Home and Contents, Life and TravelBusiness, Home and Contents, Life and TravelBusiness, Home and Contents, Life and Travel
Coverage TypeComprehensiveComprehensiveThird Party, Fire and TheftThird Party Property DamageCompulsory Third Party (CTP Green Slip)