Great Southern Rail

Great Southern Rail

Brand Manager for Great Southern Rail? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

• Trip Completed Yes (14) · No (7)
  • Ease of Booking

Gordon M.
Gordon M.Sydney, NSW

No refunds available and huge price increase

We booked our trip with e-cruising travel, which is an excellent company, as part of a broader trip to other parts of the NT and WA. It was cancelled when the WA govt slammed the borders shut 2 weeks before the trip was to start. All other companies, including QANTAS provided full refunds, but not this greedy outfit, which now wants an extra $1,000 for the trip in 2023. Reluctantly we have to pay this or lose our money! The only reason they are fully booked is because of this policy.

Tonydoug
TonydougGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Stay away from this company

Sadly it is impossible to get a refund of $6000 from this company. Nobody is at fault. It’s Covid. Give regulations are too weak. Stay away!! Almost impossible to get hold of some to assist.

Poor customer service

Our package holiday on the Indian Pacific in September, purchased through Imagine Holidays, was cancelled. We were issued with a credit note for travel to be taken before 31 March 2023. The only rail journey that interests us is on the Indian Pacific. We've been told there's no availability for us (we require a bed as for us bunks are not an option) in 2022 and no programme is available for 2023. Imagine Holidays claim that all the money has been passed to Journey Beyond Rail. I therefore wrote to the CEO of Journey Beyond, Chris Tallent, on 17th October (it was received and signed for on 25th October). I am still waiting for a response, even after phoning Journey Beyond to remind them!

Brian
BrianSouth East Queensland, QLD

No refund policy and shameful credit practices

Fred
FredSouth East Queensland, QLD

Booking/phone/email response

I have sent emails - no response. Now waiting on the phone - 30 minutes so far with no idea if I am progressing in the queue or how much longer I will have to wait. Last time I phone the wait was 90 minutes!

Ease of Booking
marc
marcWide Bay-Burnett, QLD

Darwin to Adelaide - Platinum (Carriage H) - 15 Jun 21

Wonderful outback experiences for four days with fine dining and impeccable staff (Fern, Deanna, Lisinda and Isabella) that worked as a "team" throughout the journey.
Had middle cabin in carriage so minimal rolling stock issues that some passengers commented on.
Pre booked (Sage) hotel by Journeys Beyond in Adelaide was below acceptable standard for Platinum standards and duty Manager endevored to improve situation..

Mark
MarkSouth East Queensland, QLD

We are booked to travel in May. Incredible but no one answers the phone and No answer to emails

We are booked to travel in May. Incredible but no one answers the phone and No answer to email. Unbelievable bad service. What are these guys doing!!! I find this situation incredible. Has anyone also experienced this?

Neil H.
Neil H.Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

Customer Sevice is simply terrible

Booked a train journey Adelaide to Melbourne and received an email some months later that the service had changed from a Monday to a Sunday and I was asked to re-book. This meant that accommodation that I had organised, had to be re-booked also. I did so by email but received no response. A phone call to GSR was met with a rude response. I would never use this crowd again.

any pest
any pestSouth East Queensland, QLD

Was good experince ,organiser where horrible

James
James

Letter to great southern rail

Ease of Booking
Happy Customers
Happy CustomersHunter Region, NSW

Trip of a lifetime

Everything was perfect - food, tours, hospitality, accommodation. We'd never travelled by rail before, and we loved it. The lunch beside Katherine Gorge was amazing - fine dining in a beautiful location

L & M
L & MSouth East Queensland, QLD

Great Southern Brisbane to Adelaide - Platinum Class

Bad exsperince on Indian Pacfic

Last Wendesday Adelaide to Sydney late from Keswick Terminal changed our car plumbing issues. Good trip to Broken Hill great on board staff great food and drink. But from the Hill to out side Bathurt it was so rough l could not even read a magazine did not sleep one wink, every bump and hole was transferred up thru the boggies l thought we where of the road several times,every other passenger felt the same.
Great Southern Rail should get there asscess fee reinbursted. And to rub salt into our wounds our car ran out of water, so no toilet or showers.
Ex State Rail Area Controller..

Danie
DanieQueensland

Not value for money

Having returned from a rail tour on the Ghan through central Australia, we were very disappointed. At $900 per person per day, we found it very ordinary. There are much better and more economical ways to experience Australia.

EllyMae
EllyMaeMid North Coast, NSW

Roughest train trip I've ever encountered!!!

Love train trips and have done many in various countries. Broken Hill to Parkes was THE ROUGHEST (as with other reviews, bruises to prove it)...(did we have "cowboy" driver too)? Service staff and food were great but can't recommend the actual train journey!! Tracks desperately need upgrade!!

MoyM
MoyMasked

Why is there no response on all these poor reviews? It really reflects on the arrogance of these sites that they don't have the guts to respond. When they star losing business they will start to complain "why weren't we told?. Apparently they don't seem to care or they would be responding by now.

Martin E.
Martin E.

Its up for sale and they dont want to answer anyone as they may loose millions of dollar do to management silence the staff who work on these trains are first class its a shame management wont learn from there top staff

Maryann
Maryann

That is very interesting. It is a shame the Government ever sold those trains.

stuartasked

I would like to know,why there has been no replies from GSR,regarding these appalling bad reviews,of their service. This couldn’t care less attitude,should not be tolerated.

Roy
Roy

I've not had any positive responses from GSR about the lack of maintenance to passenger carriages. For a 3 night journey you would expect some level of comfort. Travelers would not contemplate a return journey.

stuart

I will not be going on a planned trip on their trains,solely on the poor reviews,and their lack of response to complaints. If this was my business,there would be some changes made,I can tell you! First one would be the exorbitant prices,and poor track,especially between Adelaide and Sydney.

GPB
GPB

I agree with you there Stuart! My wife and I were seriously thinking of going on the Ghan but after reading the reviews that is not going to happen. I believe the States and/or National Department of tourism should get on top of this and get it improved. The Australian Government is trying to encourage us to spend our money and time in this Country.