Great Southern Rail

Great Southern Rail

• Trip Completed Yes (13) · No (1)
  • Ease of Booking
Neil H.

Neil H.Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

Customer Sevice is simply terrible

Booked a train journey Adelaide to Melbourne and received an email some months later that the service had changed from a Monday to a Sunday and I was asked to re-book. This meant that accommodation that I had organised, had to be re-booked also. I did so by email but received no response. A phone call to GSR was met with a rude response. I would never use this crowd again.

Trip CompletedNo
any pest

any pestSouth East Queensland, QLD

Was good experince ,organiser where horrible

James

James

Letter to great southern rail

Booking TypeAccommodation and Tour

Happy Customers

Happy CustomersHunter Region, NSW

Trip of a lifetime

Everything was perfect - food, tours, hospitality, accommodation. We'd never travelled by rail before, and we loved it. The lunch beside Katherine Gorge was amazing - fine dining in a beautiful location

Booking TypeAccommodation, Cruise and Tour
L & M

L & MSouth East Queensland, QLD

Great Southern Brisbane to Adelaide - Platinum Class

Bad exsperince on Indian Pacfic

Last Wendesday Adelaide to Sydney late from Keswick Terminal changed our car plumbing issues. Good trip to Broken Hill great on board staff great food and drink. But from the Hill to out side Bathurt it was so rough l could not even read a magazine did not sleep one wink, every bump and hole was transferred up thru the boggies l thought we where of the road several times,every other passenger felt the same.
Great Southern Rail should get there asscess fee reinbursted. And to rub salt into our wounds our car ran out of water, so no toilet or showers.
Ex State Rail Area Controller..

Danie

DanieQueensland

Not value for money

Having returned from a rail tour on the Ghan through central Australia, we were very disappointed. At $900 per person per day, we found it very ordinary. There are much better and more economical ways to experience Australia.

Booking TypeAccommodation
EllyMae

EllyMaeMid North Coast, NSW

Roughest train trip I've ever encountered!!!

Love train trips and have done many in various countries. Broken Hill to Parkes was THE ROUGHEST (as with other reviews, bruises to prove it)...(did we have "cowboy" driver too)? Service staff and food were great but can't recommend the actual train journey!! Tracks desperately need upgrade!!

Denis

DenisSydney, NSW

Awful service, tired carriages and totally disorganised

Judith Casburn

Judith CasburnMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Overland to and from Melbourne.

I want to congratulate all staff I encountered on a recent trip 16/08/19 and 20/08/19 to and from Melbourne. The staff at all points were courteous and very helpful, the food served and service given were as good as I have experienced on many years of travel. A fantastic job by all concerned and thanks for making my birthday celebration one to remember. Judith Casburn

Booking TypeAccommodation
MoyM

MoyMSydney, NSW

Worst holiday ever

Booking TypeAccommodation, Flights and Tour
Wen G.

Wen G.Greater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Overland train. Rude would be an understatement

We were late for baggage check in and was advised to approach the baggage handlers in front of the train for assistance in checking in our bags. The three blokes were not very helpful at all as they don’t want to get asked questions and was so rude. Worst customer service ever.

Lulu

LuluMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Freezing Train Carriages Mid-Winter - NO HEATING

My daughter decided to catch the train as an alternative to flying on her visit from Melbourne to Adelaide. Well she won't ever be doing that again as in this freezing weather they don't even have heated carriages. That's right - no heating in the middle of winter. When everything nowadays is heated a NINE HOUR train journey is in a freezing carriage. I will be going to Consumer Affairs about this.

All I can say to anyone thinking about this is DON"T DO IT.

Martin E.Sydney, NSW

Gladys should be ashamed .

Left Sydney on 1st of may all excited for the trip to Adelaide. Over the mountains into a nightmare 3rd rate train trip from Lithgow it was as rough as any trip could be ,i was thrown around the cabin ,food was good when you could get it in your mouth , they say they have to pay 65000 track fees to who ,Ajax track repairs the track is bad but great southern needs to update to airbag suspension,up front was a freight train driver ,braking terrible ,do yourself a favour save your money till n.s.w fixes this goat track,drive or fly if I could get my money back i would ,very sad for the wonderful crew ,it's lost its way. .

Booking TypeAccommodation and Tour

RoySouth East Queensland, QLD

The Indian Pacific - The trip from Hell

Total ripoff

Perth to Sydney Gold class, bronze I would class it. Arrived at east Perth stn told derailment options refund, loss of my flights and rebook cost around $1200 continued trip. We where flown Kalgoorlie to Adelaide missed 50% trip. The single cabin was not a cabin like a cupboard with a small bed not acceptable paying near $800 a night. The same trip in USA Canada $700, to get a luxury
cabin Platinum about $1300 a night ripoff. Adelaide to Sydney so rough thought
train would jump the track no sleep that night. I was glad to get off the train.
My booking read a gold cabin I didn’t get that and not the full trip.

alcol
alcol

An update Southern Rail did after a long time give me a
25% refund on my fair. S.R done the right thing so I am
happy.

Honest Senior

Honest Seniornsw

The Ghan and Indian Pacific - Platinum Class

India Pacific Rail Trip

The train trip of a lifetime - no way!

X. Shi

X. ShiSydney

Terrible Customer Service

I booked the Ghan trip through an agency last year and want to amend the trip date as I won't be able to attend the trip on the booked date. My agency didn't renew the contract with the GSR this year, and they cannot amend the booking anymore, so they asked us to contact the GSR directly after trying to contact GSR from their end. When we emailed/called the GSR directly, they answer no question but keep saying "you need to contact your agency." Totally useless staff!

Horrible, horrible customer service! I wish I didn't book this trip at first place!

MoyM

MoyMasked

Why is there no response on all these poor reviews? It really reflects on the arrogance of these sites that they don't have the guts to respond. When they star losing business they will start to complain "why weren't we told?. Apparently they don't seem to care or they would be responding by now.

Martin E.

Its up for sale and they dont want to answer anyone as they may loose millions of dollar do to management silence the staff who work on these trains are first class its a shame management wont learn from there top staff

stuartasked

I would like to know,why there has been no replies from GSR,regarding these appalling bad reviews,of their service. This couldn’t care less attitude,should not be tolerated.

Roy

I've not had any positive responses from GSR about the lack of maintenance to passenger carriages. For a 3 night journey you would expect some level of comfort. Travelers would not contemplate a return journey.

stuart

I will not be going on a planned trip on their trains,solely on the poor reviews,and their lack of response to complaints. If this was my business,there would be some changes made,I can tell you! First one would be the exorbitant prices,and poor track,especially between Adelaide and Sydney.