Hayward TigerShark QC

Hayward TigerShark QC

Works quite well

Tried several pool robots, and finally had to choose between the dolphin and Tigershark. The Tigershark was cheaper, less complicated, much lighter to carry, and the rep (in my case) more reasonably. Works flawless since 3 years. I don't believe it actually learns your pool layout, but its random program in the end gets everywhere, and frees itself of any entanglement, not necessarily in the most efficient way though. I have a Fiberglas pool and the climbing capability are enormous, too much really. I had to use various ways of limiting the waterflow and put balast on the robot, otherwise it climbs to high. After a year, when the filter become slightly clogged, it works actually better and now its just right. I would wish for a program the keeps it on the bottom, because for me it spends to much time cleaning the waterline. The dirt container is big and it is pretty good in also collecting larger depres. Fairly easy to clean. The main problem is squeezing out the air of the rollers to make it sink to the floor, best not to let them dry out. Another problem is that somtimes the lock for the dirt compartment can dislodge, and release the dirt as you lift the robot out. One needs to watch that. On the whole I am happy with it and think its simplicity is its strength. It keeps the pool floor, walls and steps very clean. The two programs take 90 or 180 minutes, but you can always take it out earlier.

Date PurchasedDec 2014

Quieter Achiever

[Has this product improved the appearance of your pool?]
I cannot work out what pattern it uses - seems to be random. But, when I go away and come back, the pool is spotless, so can't complain.

[Do you find the pool cleaner easy to use and maintain?]
I do not have a lot of debris coming into the pool from trees, so I sometimes do not need to empty out the compartment. Our pool is also fairly modest at 7m x 3m.
I set it up for my neighbour recently, who does have many trees around their larger 13 x 4m pool. The debris was filling up the compartment quickly, so based on that, I am not sure if it will handle a larger pool.
As I generally keep the cleaner next to pool, the plastic outer shell is noticeably being affected by the sun.

[How does the pool cleaner handle leaves and other debris?]
Handles debris well, but compartment could be a little bigger.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

this is an excellent robot..... highly recommend

The quality and customer service of this product is so good it has lead to my second review. My robot (Ronnie) has worked hard for 5 years with very few problems, 1 broken track and some new filters is all the repairs needed. The track broke 2 months after warranty finished 1 phone call to Haywood and a new one was sent asap at no cost. Truly a great cleaner!

Date PurchasedJun 2012

Great until it all went wrong

Worked brilliantly for about 1.5 years then went wrong so stopped cleaning the floor and just gets stuck in 1 corner of the pool. Took it in under warranty claim to be told because the retailer changed hand, it is not covered. $700 to repair or $1400 for new with $200 back for trading it in. No thanks! Tigershark seems to refer to the hayward attitude to customers as well as being the product name.

When it was working it was great - picked up heaps of leaves as well as gumnuts and liqid amber seeds. The terrible service now has put me off. As another user mentioned, pebblecrete takes a heavy toll as does the sun (to be expected). Hose kinks but changing the handle before I put it back in the pool each time helps.

Advice to anyone buying it: Ignore warranty, budget for 1.5 years use then replace. Keep it out of the sun and clean filter after use. When on, allow to do its thing - when it was working properly, it was very effective.

Date PurchasedJul 2015

Useless

Terrible product, spends more time climbing walls than picking up debris from bottom and ledge area. Machine has broken protective coverings over pool filter inlets. All in all a waste of money that has not made pool maintenance any easier, and as well as damaging pool, the cleaning job is inferior.

Date PurchasedFeb 2016

Useless

It took 20 minutes for the TigerShark QC to get stuck on one of my two drains the first time. I then took it out of the pool, and added the plastic "increased suction" piece to the bottom of the unit which the manual advises may help with this problem.

In the middle of the very first cleaning cycle after that, it got stuck on a drain again, and was spinning in circles on the drain. Each time it spun around, the cable became more tangled. I can only imagine how destroyed the cable would have been if I had not been there to turn the unit off.

I packed it up and returned it. Useless piece of garbage.

Better than most

I spent a long time looking for a great pool cleaner and don't think there is one. That aside this is the best of the bunch.
After three months I did have a warranty problem and the retaile was difficult to deal with. However after some strong language the manufacturer stepped in and dealt with magnificently , arranging shipping, repair and return magnificently.

Cleans the pool of sand and cleans the sides very well. Handles leaves and larger debris OK.
Easy to handle and pretty care free.

3 years life

Have had a tiger shark for 3 years. Excellent at cleaning even heavy deposits of gum leaves after storm events.
However, this is outweighed by the deterioration of the cleaner over the 3 years to the extent it now needs replacing.

The rubber drive belts have broken twice, the lower body on each side has worn through due to rubbing on the pool wall when cleaning in the corners. This has caused the fixing bolts of the rotating traction rollers to come loose.

The first time it happened it was just out of warranty but Hayward fixed under warranty but the second time with no warranty I had to attach a 6mm strip of HDPE to each side of the cleaner to secure the traction rollers and protect the plastic sides from wearing away.

This has worked but the cleaner has just worn out and its time for a new one which will not be a Tiger Shark.

If you have a square pool with pebble finish it acts like sand paper on the body of the cleaner so I am on the hunt for cleaner with side protection which I may have to add myself.