Pet Essential and Pet Premium

See the Best Pet Insurance in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Ian Mac

Claim ApprovedNo

leonie walton

leonie waltonSouthwest, VIC

Stay away ..

I had been with HCF for a few years and not one claim with my two dogs
I just recently tried to make a claim
For a Non pre exisiting problem
And I proved it was Non exisiting by sending them vet reports from previous vets. They Never pay they keep requesting more vet info that you simply don’t have
If your dogs not sick why would I attend a vet apart from routine injections etc
After 7 attempts of trying to explain this
I cancelled my insurance ... funny they did that via email in one day hmmmmm

Number of Pets2 pets

Absolutely Horrible

Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks

Above and Beyond

Emmerose fronted my call:
was finalising a claim as there there were missing information that that the insurers needed;
She put me on hold to check - when she came back on - she had contacted the Vet on my behalf and organised what was required - no more stress on me.
Very touched by the extra effort !

CpB.

CpB.Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

Awesome so quick and without any fuss.

We were a bit nervous taking out Pet insurance, you hear a lot of horror stories about companies refusing to pay up. I can honestly say I was more than surprised with the great service HCF gave us when we made multiple claims for our puppies elbow displaysia only months after joining. The refunds were prompt and easy payment being reimbursed within the week. Thank you so much HCF for making a difficult time so much easier. We are with you for the long run. Cannot recommend HCF enough. We now have our health insurance with HCF as well.

Claim Resolution Time<1 week
Claim DateMarch 2019
Claim ApprovedYes

DanK

DanKSouth East Queensland, QLD

Slow Claims Process

I lodged my claim on 9/1/2019 and uploaded necessary documents via Portal. Since then I have constantly been asked for the same information even though on two occasions HCF Staff contacted my Vet directly in order to obtain information and I was verbally advised everything was OK. I also personally emailed outstanding items required and was advised by reply email on Monday 11/2 that everything was ok and claim was being processed. Then on 16/2 I was advised by same customer support officer that advised everything was OK that now it is not OK as they were still waiting on outstanding Invoice.

Number of Pets1 pets
Pet Type(s) InsuredCat
Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim DateJanuary 2019
Claim ApprovedNo

Incredibly difficult claims process-repeat requests for the same information

We have had pet insurance for our dog for around 5 years. This year was our first claim and it seems that we repeatedly get requests for the same information that has already been provided. Almost a month later and we are still no closer to a result; I suspect HCF just try to make life so difficult you can’t be bothered chasing the money anymore. We have had terrible service, I would not recommend at all!

Hairyboy

HairyboyGold Coast

Easy and fast claim

Nothing but satisfied

Once the policy was set up after cat vet history supplied, I’ve had every claim processed within a few days to 2 weeks. Claims from vaccinations, dental clean to paralysis tick poisoning paid. Can’t expect any better service.

Amy B

Amy BMelbourne

Don't bother trying to ring to discuss a claim the service is appalling

Hi Amy,
Thank you for getting in touch. I’m sorry to hear you’re frustrated and have had this experience. Can you please let us know your membership number, by sending an email to social@hcf.com.au and we can look into this for you?
Many thanks
Steph

Fabian P

Fabian PSydney

Excellent Pet Insurance - Quick Claims Payment

I cannot speak highly enough of HCF. We have been with them for the past 4 1/2 years for our dog Jesse and and they are always so helpful. Every claim is processed quickly and we have never had any issues. I highly recommend them to any pet owner wanting peace of mind. Also the dental option comes in handy and is definitely worth it!!

Mila

MilaChapel Hill

They are experts in making life difficult!!!

Poor vale for money. Terrible service. They make cancelling the policy difficult. Electronic renewals can't be cancelled unless you call the exactly 30 days before expiry not a day more!

Hi Mila,
Thank you for getting in touch and we're sorry to hear about your experience. We'd like to look into this for you. Please can you email your membership number to social@hcf.com.au?
Kind regards,
Rosannah

kylie t

kylie t

They Are Shockers Anything To Get Out Of Paying Even The Minor Amounts Of Money

I put in a claim and my consultation was not covered because I mentioned to my vet at the end any tips for dogs that bite so they class it as a behavioural therapy consultation - they will do anything to argue with you every time. I hate to think what will happen if I ever have to put in a claim for a major incident - hopefully I will not have and they can just have their $10,000 I will end up paying them in the life of my insurance.

Not happy!

pdjones

pdjonesGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Cannot understand all the bad reviews.

KanyeBelconnen 2615, ACT

Terrible

You get 10% HCF member discount when you sign up end of the year the policy price go up. They just after the money,
most of the claims got rejected coz they don't cover it or they come up with some thing, only end up getting $80 routine care for the year. After paying over $600
Customer Support is 0 no help. Never ever recommending to anyone. Woolworths pet insurance way to go.

Kanye

with a different provider thanks.

Subject Verb Object

Subject Verb ObjectGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Claim Rejected.

Refused claim

I purchased the premium policy to cover illness and accidents. When my dog had a temperature of 39.4 and was trying to tear his skin off I took him to the vet and was told he had a skin allergy to a flea bite. He was given an injection of antibiotics and tablets to take for 3 days.
The policy clearly states that skin allergies were covered under this policy but, was refused as it doesn't meet their criteria with no explanation as to what that criteria was. I am currently looking for a new insurer.

Tracy
Tracy

I have called and was told that even though skin allergies are on the policy. It's not covered if caused by flea or tick bites apparently

Refuse to pay the claim -- Terrible company

This is the second claim for my puppy.
When we first made the claim last time, it worked very well. We sent all the documents needed to the insurance company and received the money very quickly.
However, when we made the claim this time, they needed me to resend all documents to them again. We did so. We sent them through email this time more than a week ago. But today, we received the same letter and asking for the same information again. It seems that they NEVER check their email and keep asking for the same documents that we have sent. This is RIDICULOUS!
Even we send an email to them, no one will reply your email. This is very IMPOLITE!
We are very ANGRY in dealing with this company.

HCF T.HCF

Wish I Could Give Them 0 Stars!

Juliet D
Juliet D

Dear Michelle- I have lodged an appeal- maybe just look at your appeals in a fair and honest way- that would be enough.

Maggy

Maggyasked

We have discovered my dog has spleen nodule dysplasia and the vet has given us two options. First one is monthly ultrasounds to see if nodule has grown and if it has urgent surgery is need asap or will be fatal or to have the spleen removed now. We are going to go with removal of spleen as its too risky. The surgery and two days in hospital will cost approx. $5k. Will she be covered under illness policy and do we have to pay vet bill up front

Tata

Tataasked

I’ve stopped to pay my pets insurance payment because of financial difficulties from 5 months ago. Can I start the same plan from now?

Renee

Reneeasked

Hi, 2 questions.

1) What is the deal with a dog after 9 years? i have a puppy and have insured from the start but someone mentioned she won't be covered after 9yrs old?
2) what does "Routine" care mean and what can be claimed? Just the consultation fees for the vet? My vet "upsold me" their "special" care which means i get free consultaitons and vaccinations. but if this is already covered by my pet insurance (not the vaccinations), why would I bother with there "special" membership.

thanks
Renee

Hi Renee,
Thanks for your questions.
To answer your first question, HCF members who sign up new pets over the age of 9 are not eligible for the illness cover. However, pets who have been insured for illness before they turn 9 years will continue to have the accidental injury and illness cover, provided there has been no break in the policy.

To answer your second question, if you have “Routine care” added to your policy, it covers set benefits as stated below:

• $50 Annual Benefit Limit for any ONE of the Following:
Desexing, Heartworm Control, Dew Claw Removal, Prescription Diets, Microchipping, Teeth Cleaning, Cremation/Burial, Council Registration Fees, Alternative Therapy

• Plus Annual Benefits for the Following:
 $30 for Vaccinations or Health Checks
 $10 for Heartworm Tests or Blood Screen
 $10 for feLV/Fiv Tests or Urinalysis
 $45 for Flea/Tick/Worm Control

I hope this information helps. If you have any other questions, please also feel free to call us on 1800 630 681.

Many thanks
Steph

Get an answer from our members and HCF representatives

HCF Pet Insurance - Pet Essential

Accidental Injury CoverIncludedIncluded
Illness CoverIncludedIncluded
Routine Care CoverNot IncludedOptional Extra
Tick ParalysisNot Included$1,200
Emergency Boarding Fees$500 if you are hospitalised for 5 or more consecutive days$500 if you are hospitalised for more than 5 consecutive ays
Lifetime Cover IncludedIncluded
Cooling Off Period21 Days21 Days
Consultation Fees$300$300
Cruciate Ligament Conditions$2,600 (6 months waiting period - can be waived)$2,600 (6 months waiting period - can be waived)
Waiting Period for Illness 30 Days30 Days