Pet Premium, Pet Essential

Pet Insurance Buying Guide

If your dog or cat becomes sick, pet insurance can help get the treatment they deserve. For a better idea of how pet insurance works, continue reading so you can make an informed choice.

Read now

• Claim Resolution Time<1 week (3), 1-2 months (3), 1-2 weeks (2) and 2-4 weeks (1)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (4) · No (5)
Salvo L.

Salvo L.South East Queensland, QLD

They have been fantastic

We have our 7 years old insurance with HCF since he is a puppy and we have never came across bad customer services and claims are paid quickly. I also think the inclusions are good.

Claim DateOctober 2020

Absolutely terrible service!!

Do not take out pet insurance with HCF. They have been impossible to deal with and provide inaccurate advice on policy cover. I was advised that I would have 80% of my veterinary expenses covered and so submitted my claim only to be advised over a month later, after numerous follow ups on my behalf, that I was not covered.

Claim DateSeptember 2020

Wouldn't be without it

Nearly 7 years with HCF and I have had no issues with claims and get back exactly what I expected. I find team members helpful with any queries. Pepper and I wouldn't be without it. Grateful for their assistance with financial concerns.

Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Claim DateJuly 2020

Paskis

PaskisSydney, NSW

Responsive but coverage gaps

HCF are quite up-front about the coverage and exclusions, but when buying a 'premium' package it's easy to assume that it's all-inclusive. Especially when it costs as much as your own health insurance. Mundane things like vaccinations and checkups - not covered by the premium plan. Dental - nope. Cruciate - yes but limited in value. Really the 'premium' plan is a 'standard' plan - they could use a proper, all-in premium plan above it. So unhappy though I am with having claims rejected, they did make it clear what they were selling at every step of the way, and they were responsive to emails. Would I recommend? Yes but I'd sure shop around and read the inclusions/exclusions not just shop on price and brand.

Claim DateApril 2020

pdjonesGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Terrible

Never deal with this company. They say they are membership focussed but really they are just agents for privately owned insurance companies. They take your money and never pay without several phone calls and resending of already sent documents. When I cancelled they kept charging my account without my permission. Luckily I saw this and after a fight, I managed to get my money back. Definitely not an honest company.

Number of Pets2 pets
Claim DateAugust 2019
pdjones

I tried to send a message to the address given but was unable to. I have spent enough time on this in any case. It is up to you to improve your service, not me.

KMT

Claim DateMay 2019
leonie walton

leonie waltonSouthwest, VIC

Stay away ..

I had been with HCF for a few years and not one claim with my two dogs
I just recently tried to make a claim
For a Non pre exisiting problem
And I proved it was Non exisiting by sending them vet reports from previous vets. They Never pay they keep requesting more vet info that you simply don’t have
If your dogs not sick why would I attend a vet apart from routine injections etc
After 7 attempts of trying to explain this
I cancelled my insurance ... funny they did that via email in one day hmmmmm

Claim MadeNo
Number of Pets2 pets
Snuflepagus M.

Snuflepagus M.Sydney, NSW

Absolutely Horrible

Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks

Above and Beyond

Emmerose fronted my call:
was finalising a claim as there there were missing information that that the insurers needed;
She put me on hold to check - when she came back on - she had contacted the Vet on my behalf and organised what was required - no more stress on me.
Very touched by the extra effort !

CpB.

CpB.Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

Awesome so quick and without any fuss.

We were a bit nervous taking out Pet insurance, you hear a lot of horror stories about companies refusing to pay up. I can honestly say I was more than surprised with the great service HCF gave us when we made multiple claims for our puppies elbow displaysia only months after joining. The refunds were prompt and easy payment being reimbursed within the week. Thank you so much HCF for making a difficult time so much easier. We are with you for the long run. Cannot recommend HCF enough. We now have our health insurance with HCF as well.

Claim DateMarch 2019
DanK

DanKSouth East Queensland, QLD

Slow Claims Process

I lodged my claim on 9/1/2019 and uploaded necessary documents via Portal. Since then I have constantly been asked for the same information even though on two occasions HCF Staff contacted my Vet directly in order to obtain information and I was verbally advised everything was OK. I also personally emailed outstanding items required and was advised by reply email on Monday 11/2 that everything was ok and claim was being processed. Then on 16/2 I was advised by same customer support officer that advised everything was OK that now it is not OK as they were still waiting on outstanding Invoice.

Pet Type(s) InsuredCat
Claim DateJanuary 2019
Claim ApprovedNo

Incredibly difficult claims process-repeat requests for the same information

We have had pet insurance for our dog for around 5 years. This year was our first claim and it seems that we repeatedly get requests for the same information that has already been provided. Almost a month later and we are still no closer to a result; I suspect HCF just try to make life so difficult you can’t be bothered chasing the money anymore. We have had terrible service, I would not recommend at all!

Hairyboy

HairyboyGold Coast

Easy and fast claim

Nothing but satisfied

Once the policy was set up after cat vet history supplied, I’ve had every claim processed within a few days to 2 weeks. Claims from vaccinations, dental clean to paralysis tick poisoning paid. Can’t expect any better service.

Amy B

Amy BMelbourne

Don't bother trying to ring to discuss a claim the service is appalling

Hi Amy,
Thank you for getting in touch. I’m sorry to hear you’re frustrated and have had this experience. Can you please let us know your membership number, by sending an email to social@hcf.com.au and we can look into this for you?
Many thanks
Steph

Fabian P

Fabian PSydney

Excellent Pet Insurance - Quick Claims Payment

I cannot speak highly enough of HCF. We have been with them for the past 4 1/2 years for our dog Jesse and and they are always so helpful. Every claim is processed quickly and we have never had any issues. I highly recommend them to any pet owner wanting peace of mind. Also the dental option comes in handy and is definitely worth it!!

Mila

MilaChapel Hill

They are experts in making life difficult!!!

Poor vale for money. Terrible service. They make cancelling the policy difficult. Electronic renewals can't be cancelled unless you call the exactly 30 days before expiry not a day more!

Hi Mila,
Thank you for getting in touch and we're sorry to hear about your experience. We'd like to look into this for you. Please can you email your membership number to social@hcf.com.au?
Kind regards,
Rosannah

kylie t

kylie t

They Are Shockers Anything To Get Out Of Paying Even The Minor Amounts Of Money

I put in a claim and my consultation was not covered because I mentioned to my vet at the end any tips for dogs that bite so they class it as a behavioural therapy consultation - they will do anything to argue with you every time. I hate to think what will happen if I ever have to put in a claim for a major incident - hopefully I will not have and they can just have their $10,000 I will end up paying them in the life of my insurance.

Not happy!