Honda Buffalo Classic HRU196M1 (L/R, Blade Brake)

Honda Buffalo Classic HRU196M1 (L/R, Blade Brake)

MPN: HRU196M1

• Wet / Damp Grass Performance
  • Fuel Efficiency

John

John

Great mower, however the catcher keeps falling off.

Mark W.

Mark W.Hunter Region, NSW

Love this thing

Purchased in August 2020 for A$1,300.00.

Steph C

Steph CAU

Worst mower

Absolute rubbish. Bought this one online and had it delivered. Too heavy!
Automatic choke sticks and it won’t start after using for a while. Have to remove the filter and use a screwdriver to poke in it to open it and get it going again.
Can’t adjust the throttle.

Petrol Lawn Mowers

Find out how Honda Buffalo Classic HRU196M1 (L/R, Blade Brake) compares to other Petrol Lawn Mowers

Azat

AzatGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Not so easy to start

I find it harder to start than our last lawnmower, l can start it but need to position it so l don’t need to hold and pull at the same time.
I’m a small female don’t think men would have my problems.
But still needs more than one pull to start, l find it temperamental.

Very happy with its ability to catch the grass.
I made a thingy magigy to hold the bar up so it doesn’t turn the motor off every time l can’t hold it down.
Might be a safety feature but very annoying.
The large nut thing to stop the handle folding keeps coming undone.

Not sure if l would buy it again, it came recommend by the lawn mowing man an l trusted his judgment.

Purchased in January 2018 at Kingston mowers for A$1,055.00.

Product is usedOccasionally
Paul R.

Paul R.Central, SA

As heavy as a Sherman tank

Purchased in March 2020 for A$1,050.00.

PaulB

PaulBNew South Wales

Great engine, reasonable product with the right blades.

Following my purchase 2 years ago I was initially disappointed with the small chute and associated clogging when mowing damp grass. I opted for the Honda as I wanted power to do just that. After working with the agent we fitted the Honda with the two standard mulch blades and two additional high lift blades which made a world of difference. We made a slight rpm increase also. Overall I'm very happy with how it performs and am enjoying my mowing. The weight creating significant tracks when mowing damp ground would be my only negative feedback. Largely a great engine and the blade break system does work well for me having to regularly negotiate obstacles.

Purchased in May 2018 for A$1,100.00.

jeremy.ieraci

jeremy.ieraciDarwin, NT

Tough

Purchased in November 2019 at All Mower Spares for A$1,200.00.

Product is usedDaily
Anthony

AnthonySouth East Queensland, QLD

Mowing with ease

This mower was purchased as an additional mower as we needed to try and transport our original mower to to in-laws house every week and this was getting to be a problem. We have had it over 18 months now and it has not missed a beat. Starts most times first pull if not on the second. The blade brake is a great safety feature. servicing has not been a problem. We change the Air Filter regularly as the area mowed is usually quit dusty. We only fill it up at the start of the day as It seems to run forever on a tank of fuel.. The only down side is the catcher is a bit difficult to empty when it is full to the max. Saying that it picks up every blade of grass. In the wet it it probably picks up 95% of what is cut.

Purchased in February 2018 at Brisbane Mower Centre.

Product is usedWeekly

Mower is good, catcher is crap.

The catcher is bad enough to put you into a fit of rage. Won't throw all the way to the back, only ever half fills, even after cleaning the screen.
Love the mower, hate the catcher. My advice would be to spend the extra for the next model, or look at another brand.

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Tim

Tim

Runs like a dream.

This was a replacement for my 32 year old Suzuki Two Stroke. Another legendary mower but the Honda starts first time everytime. I use the mulching plug so that I dont need the catcher. Its so good that I almost enjoy mowing which I never did with the old mower. A fantastic product

Date PurchasedNov 2016
dan

danDeniliquin

Love this mower

I have had this mower 4 years, its been good to use. It starts fast time its never let me down and its always been easy to start. Its never run out of fuel because it takes a lot of fuel I can mow a big lawn with it easy.

Date PurchasedFeb 2015
Chris

ChrisGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Bought mine 10 years ago. No problems !!

The Honda 196P Push Petrol Lawn Mower is one of the best heavy duty lawn mowers in the market. Built to mow in the toughest of conditions, features the 4 stroke OHV GXV160 engine and guarantees to start the first time. Ideal for medium and large lawns as well as for serious contractors.

Weighing in at 34 kg, this Honda Lawn Mower offers a 19-inch cutting width and 163cc.

Date PurchasedJan 2008
Paul D

Paul DBrisbane

Bad mower. Doesn't cut. Doesn't catch.

Worst decision in a long time. Thought I'd buy a premium mower at more than $1100. Only thing good is that it starts easy. I upgraded to 4 blades from 2 and still does not pick up the grass, just blocks the tiny shut for anything more than the smallest cut..... even in the dry! Very heavy for a push mower. I am so frustrated with the mower that I now mow/mulch and then hand rake up the grass!!!! I was told the motor is commercial grade, maybe it will last, however, it is not powerful and when the grass is thick the safety blade brake starts to slip!!! Once it has started to slip it generates heat from the friction and slips even more!

Date PurchasedFeb 2016
Deano

Deano

It's a good mower

Good mower to be honest.
Mines been back under warranty a few times for the governor shaft leaking oil out around the shaft. Know out of warranty and it's still leaking and they don't want to know about it. Disappointed to be honest.
Other than that hasn't let me down..

Date PurchasedJan 2014
Bob T

Bob TTarneit

Great mower

Upgraded from an old Rover, this thing is amazing, starts so easy, makes light work of my tough buffalo, only con is the arm folding feature, very difficult to Fold for storage. I highly recommend this product, great safety features too. I like the simplicity, no choke, no primer, just pull the chord and away you go, well done Honda!

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Big Red

Big RedMelbourne

As a professional, there is only one choice. Honda

Date PurchasedJul 2016
kgn

kgnMelbourne

Solid mower - should give a long life based on experience with the original still going strong

Date PurchasedNov 2016
happy campers

happy campersbrisbane

CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT YOU

This Honda mower is the best mower I have ever owned, heaps of power and so quite, the mower cuts very clean and fills the catcher full as a googe even wet grass packs in tight, the Honda is so easy to clean by putting the hose in the deck hole, starts first time every time, well done Honda.

Date PurchasedAug 2010
Viva Espana

Viva EspanaSurfers Paradise QLD. 4217

HONDA HRU 196 HAD LOTS OF HARD WORK BUT AS NEVER LET ME DOWN.... VERY GOOD MACHINE

Date PurchasedMay 2004
gardener george

gardener georgeSouth East Queensland, QLD

Like the old but better

The 19 inch special edition heritage is a very good mower, I've reviewed my five year old previous modal with the fabric catcher and half shute in product review. This newer modal that I've had a year has the old style plastic catcher, full shute width, engine braking, you can mow the lawn a notch shorter with the same ease and its lighter, same reliability, it makes a difference in effort required compared to the other honda, you'll be lucky to find the heritage as it's a special edition, but it's a good improvement.

Date PurchasedJul 2016

Barrie T

Barrie Tasked

Buffalo Classic HRU196M1 (L/R, Blade Brake)

I have recently purchased a HRU196M1 (blade brake)mulch & cut mower it has the standard 2 blades and blade plate with multiple holes in it ,i would like to put 4 blades on it .Do i have to replace the plate & blades(4 set) or just the blades & will the motor handle it in its standard tune.?thanks in advance.

Groovy
Groovy

Mine has 4 blades. Am quite confident that you will be able to simply add another 2 blades to the existing holes in the plate that is currently on there. Cheers.

Dan
Dan

My mower guy put extra blades on. Mower still sucks with small chute but is improved

spondoola

spondoolaasked

Buffalo Classic HRU196M1 (L/R, Blade Brake)

I bought a Honda HRU-196-M1 Blade Break Mulching Contractor's mower. I am a woman and it is heavy.
But it is the starter cord that has become very tight, so much so, that I'm scared to pull it with any more force in case it does some damage. The clogging up of the chute doesn't bother me much as I'm not mowing for a living, but I am worried about this starter cord.

What could be causing is to become so tight?

Hi Spondoola,
The only time that I have seen this is when the blade brake hasn't been disengaged. Check that when you are pushing the level in that it is actually pulling the cable on the left hand of the mower.

Compare all 3 Honda HRU196
Height of Cut16 mm to 76 mm
Weight44 kg
Engine / Motor
Engine NameHonda GCV160 OHV Iron Bore
Engine TypeOHV (Overhead Valve)
BrandHonda