MPN: HRU196M1
See the Best Petrol Lawn Mowers in 2022 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for Honda Power Equipment? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

• Product is used
  • Safety
  • Wet / Damp Grass Performance
  • Fuel Efficiency

Michael S.
Michael S.Sydney, NSW

Best value for money

I have a lawn and garden care business,

brought 2 of these mowers and have changed the oil 1 time in the space of 3 years.

Still running like brand new

Purchased for $1,100.

Peter
PeterDarwin, NT

A good mower after a couple of modifications.

I had similar issues as others I have had with the poor quality of catching grass, but I did the following which improved the mowers performance. 1) I had the dealer lift the revs by about 10% after warranty expired. 2) I am in Darwin where there is a wet and dry season and only use a wet weather Dacron bag in the wet season as it has no plastic bottom or top cover and the flow of air through the catcher helped pick up wet grass. 3) Make sure that 4 Hi Lift blades in good condition are installed. All the above fixed my issues so I am okay with using this mower now.

Purchased in at The Big Mower for $1,100.

Theplug
TheplugDarling Downs, QLD

Pile of crap

It's a utter complete crap mower the throttle keeps slipping the handle bars were twisted, I rang the dealership up they said that there will be someone up hmmm..still waiting

Purchased in at Dores power equipment for $1.20.

B . LAW
B . LAWSouth East Queensland, QLD

Just too Heavy, FALSE ADVERTISING by Honda.....Lightweight to push...…Yeh right.

Purchased in for $1,300.

Petrol Lawn Mowers

Find out how Honda Buffalo Classic HRU196M1 (L/R, Blade Brake) compares to other Petrol Lawn Mowers

John
John

Great mower, however the catcher keeps falling off.

Mark W.
Mark W.Hunter Region, NSW

Love this thing

Purchased in for $1,300.

Steph C
Steph CAU

Worst mower

Absolute rubbish. Bought this one online and had it delivered. Too heavy!
Automatic choke sticks and it won’t start after using for a while. Have to remove the filter and use a screwdriver to poke in it to open it and get it going again.
Can’t adjust the throttle.

Clara V.
Make staying at home more enjoyable with these products and tips

make-staying-at-home-more-enjoyable-with-these-products-and-tips
How to be more eco-friendly when you're gifting this Christmas

how-to-be-more-eco-friendly-when-youre-gifting-this-christmas
Azat
AzatGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Not so easy to start

I find it harder to start than our last lawnmower, l can start it but need to position it so l don’t need to hold and pull at the same time.
I’m a small female don’t think men would have my problems.
But still needs more than one pull to start, l find it temperamental.

Very happy with its ability to catch the grass.
I made a thingy magigy to hold the bar up so it doesn’t turn the motor off every time l can’t hold it down.
Might be a safety feature but very annoying.
The large nut thing to stop the handle folding keeps coming undone.

Not sure if l would buy it again, it came recommend by the lawn mowing man an l trusted his judgment.

Purchased in at Kingston mowers for $1,055.

Paul R.
Paul R.Central, SA

As heavy as a Sherman tank

Purchased in for $1,050.

PaulB
PaulBNew South Wales

Great engine, reasonable product with the right blades.

Following my purchase 2 years ago I was initially disappointed with the small chute and associated clogging when mowing damp grass. I opted for the Honda as I wanted power to do just that. After working with the agent we fitted the Honda with the two standard mulch blades and two additional high lift blades which made a world of difference. We made a slight rpm increase also. Overall I'm very happy with how it performs and am enjoying my mowing. The weight creating significant tracks when mowing damp ground would be my only negative feedback. Largely a great engine and the blade break system does work well for me having to regularly negotiate obstacles.

Purchased in for $1,100.

jeremy.ieraci
jeremy.ieraciDarwin, NT

Purchased in at All Mower Spares for $1,200.

Anthony
AnthonySouth East Queensland, QLD

Mowing with ease

This mower was purchased as an additional mower as we needed to try and transport our original mower to to in-laws house every week and this was getting to be a problem. We have had it over 18 months now and it has not missed a beat. Starts most times first pull if not on the second. The blade brake is a great safety feature. servicing has not been a problem. We change the Air Filter regularly as the area mowed is usually quit dusty. We only fill it up at the start of the day as It seems to run forever on a tank of fuel.. The only down side is the catcher is a bit difficult to empty when it is full to the max. Saying that it picks up every blade of grass. In the wet it it probably picks up 95% of what is cut.

Purchased in at Brisbane Mower Centre.

Petrol Lawn Mowers

Mower is good, catcher is crap.

The catcher is bad enough to put you into a fit of rage. Won't throw all the way to the back, only ever half fills, even after cleaning the screen.
Love the mower, hate the catcher. My advice would be to spend the extra for the next model, or look at another brand.

Tim
Tim

Runs like a dream.

This was a replacement for my 32 year old Suzuki Two Stroke. Another legendary mower but the Honda starts first time everytime. I use the mulching plug so that I dont need the catcher. Its so good that I almost enjoy mowing which I never did with the old mower. A fantastic product

dan
danDeniliquin

Love this mower

I have had this mower 4 years, its been good to use. It starts fast time its never let me down and its always been easy to start. Its never run out of fuel because it takes a lot of fuel I can mow a big lawn with it easy.

Barrie T
Barrie Tasked
Buffalo Classic HRU196M1 (L/R, Blade Brake)

I have recently purchased a HRU196M1 (blade brake)mulch & cut mower it has the standard 2 blades and blade plate with multiple holes in it ,i would like to put 4 blades on it .Do i have to replace the plate & blades(4 set) or just the blades & will the motor handle it in its standard tune.?thanks in advance.

Groovy
Groovy

Mine has 4 blades. Am quite confident that you will be able to simply add another 2 blades to the existing holes in the plate that is currently on there. Cheers.

Dan
Dan

My mower guy put extra blades on. Mower still sucks with small chute but is improved

spondoola
spondoolaasked
Buffalo Classic HRU196M1 (L/R, Blade Brake)

I bought a Honda HRU-196-M1 Blade Break Mulching Contractor's mower. I am a woman and it is heavy.
But it is the starter cord that has become very tight, so much so, that I'm scared to pull it with any more force in case it does some damage. The clogging up of the chute doesn't bother me much as I'm not mowing for a living, but I am worried about this starter cord.

What could be causing is to become so tight?

Hi Spondoola,
The only time that I have seen this is when the blade brake hasn't been disengaged. Check that when you are pushing the level in that it is actually pulling the cable on the left hand of the mower.

Compare all 3 Honda HRU196
Height of Cut16 mm to 76 mm
Weight44 kg
Engine / Motor
Engine NameHonda GCV160 OHV Iron Bore
Engine TypeOHV (Overhead Valve)
BrandHonda