Honda Jazz

A Rust Bucket! Stay away from that car!

In December, 2014 I purchased my Honda Jazz (delivered January, 2015). In less than a year I spotted the first signs of rust in the engine bay area, quickly spreading to other sections of the car.
I reported it around July, 2016 and three more times at every next service. Nothing was ever done until an NCAT application was heard. Honda offered to rectify the problem.
Pictures taken during the first rust removal attempt showed a wide spread area especially in the invisible sections of the car.
In August, 2018 I delivered my car to Suttons City to have it repaired.
A few weeks later my car was returned to me with a cracked windscreen, several clips and bolts missing, unsecured windscreen plastic side panels and a few other small problems.

In less than three months the rust started to reappear again and a second repair was organized by Honda (Suttons Motors) in Feb/March 2019. I got my car back, still with a cracked windscreen and several areas with reappeared rust which have not been fixed.
According to an expert from NSW Collision and Safety Centre, the rust problem on car is due to a major manufacturing failure and the car should've been written off under NSW Consumer Law, however Honda Australia and the dealer; Suttons Motors (City) insisted that "under the warranty Insurance conditions they had the right to repair the car".
It is like putting a bandage on a badly infected wound hoping that it will be OK.
Three years later into this rust saga, rust is coming back despite the two attempts to solve the problem.

Purchased at Larke Hoskins.

Noise Level
Boot Size
Features
Comfort

Good Car

I love my Honda Jazz which I bought brand new. Its a small car that has lots of power in the engine and you can also switch it to eco which uses less fuel. The only down fall would be that I had to take it in to get the starter motor changed as there was a manufacture fault. However there was no cost for this.

Purchased .

Boot Size
Features
Comfort

Extremely poor air-condtioner

We bought the 2018 Jazz for my wife and stuck with a Honda after many years of happy driving with our Honda Civic. However, the Jazz is just not value for money. In particular the air-conditioner is terrible; it is totally inadequate for coping with an summer conditions in Australia. It cannot get the cabin to a reasonable temperature once the mercury outside rises above 28. Further, the seats are uncomfortable for anything more than city driving and short distances. To be fair the boot is a good size and the “magic seats” provide great room for those little larger parcels and there is plenty of legroom both in the front and rear but overall the Jazz is a disappointment and I would not recommend it to anyone, especially if they live in area where the temperature gets above 28 degrees i.e. pretty much anywhere in Australia.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Disappointed with air conditioning which was never fixed

I bought my Honda Jazz Vti-s in 2015. Since I bought I complained in every single inspection in relation to the air conditioning which does not work properly.

Every time I was told there was no any problem. Now when the warranty is finished I was told that there is some problems and parts need to be replaced which will cost me a lot.

It's so sad as since I bought it I had other issues which was never resolved.

Date PurchasedSep 2015

Very practical car...but wheres the Apple car play?

We purchased the Jazz to replace a 2018 Hyundai i30 (which was a lemon- full refund- thank you Hyundai). Love the 7 year warranty and 7 year NRMA cover. ....not so keen on the 6 monthly servicing schedule ($250-$290 a service) though.

The dealer (Scotts Honda at Artarmon) was great, the sales staff knew all about the various models etc. The sales guys are on the same floor as the service reception so the show room can appear busy...but nothing is too much trouble and they are eager to please.

We purchased a dealer demo +Sport Limited edition of 240 cars into Australia. Essentially its a VTI-S with some extras thrown in and a +sport badge that must add 5KW right !?
Very roomy, practical car. Magic seats are such a simple but ingenious idea. Huge boot space with rear seats folder flat.

Auto box feels good, quite spritely from the off...although the i-vtec engines like to be revved so the engine can sound a little noisy when you accelerate.

Audio sounds good and its useful that multiple phones can be added. The Sat Nav is ok, not as quick as google maps etc and the auto/robot voice is annoying. I wish the car had an apple car play compatible unit.

Reverse camera is ok...not great at night though.

The car will only be used for the daily commute and to teach a Learner in a couple of years time.

Badge+sport (Limited Edition)
Date PurchasedJan 2019

Perfect!

I absolutely love my Honda Jazz! it runs very smooth and is very roomy for a small/medium hatchback, back seats go down also so it can fit a lot in the back! I get my car serviced with Honda every 10,000kms and they are excellent and also give you a loan car for free for the day! I would definitely recommend the beauty of a car and the Honda Jazz 2015 is very nicely shaped. And also pretty good on petrol. And hot mag wheels to match.

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Cant see navigation or reverse camera

Purchased the Jazz and everything has been going well. We only have 1 issue.
Ths infotainment system is on such a big angle that catches the slightest sunlight. This makes the navigation and reverse camera useless as you can't see the screen unless its cloudy or night time. This is a massive design issue and one Honda has said they won't fix.

Date PurchasedNov 2018

Poor Quality Parts in JAZZ door

We bought a brand new JAZZ through Honda dealer. This JAZZ drives OK. We like the magic seats.
Although we have serviced this car regularly through the Honda Dealer driver side door actuator failed after 60,000 KMs. Took it to the Honda Dealer for repairs. After $326 & three trips to the dealer they fixed it. Very next day the passenger side front door lock started playing up. Sometime it will not open remotely. Similar symptoms to the other side.
Clearly the HONDA quality is gone down. It is sad to see such a reputed manufacturer not see quality as an important issue. No more JAZZEs again.

BadgeGLi
Date PurchasedMay 2011

With a little TLC, a Jazz should keep running forever.

Bought a Jazz brand new in 2005 for my wife. She uses it mainly for commuting, the school run and the occasional road trip. We also use it for those occasions where we need to move bulky items, as it's the largest car either of us owns.

So far, the Jazz only let her down once. This was due to a wear and tear item, being the battery. Other than wear and tear items like brakes, tyres, batteries and the odd rear wheel bearing, the Jazz has been completely reliable.

The car has one issue: reverse gear on the CVT gearbox takes around 15 seconds or so to engage when the car is started on cold mornings. Once the car has warmed up a bit, the gearbox works fine. When we last had the CVT serviced, we asked the Honda dealer about it. Their reply is that the box is probably good for another 100,000km or so before it becomes a major problem. At that stage, we'll probably send it to the wreckers and get another brand new Jazz to replace it.

For the first 12 years, we had the Jazz serviced exclusively at Honda dealers. However, given the car's age, I'm now attending to minor services myself (mainly oil changes). That said, the next time the CVT is due to be serviced, it will be going straight back to the dealer.

I've driven manual Jazzes with over 300,000km on the clock and I am convinced that a manual Jazz is one of the best cars to buy if you want cheap transport and are handy with spanners. Automatic Jazzes ... not so much. But you'll still get 250,000-300,000km out of an automatic Jazz if you get the CVT box serviced every couple of years.

Date PurchasedJun 2005

great car

We use our car every day.we have it serviced at Honda and are pleased with the work.We have owned the car for fourteen months and have not noticed any problems.fuel economy is good and power is fine.Really like the room and the high driving position doesn't feel like a small car to drive.Very pleased with the car

Date PurchasedAug 2017

BAD REAR DOOR PRESSING RESULTS IN DOORS NOT FITTING FLUSH

Honda Australia
You need to look at the pressing of the rear doors on the 2017 Jazz model GF. A lot of the Jazz rear doors do not fit flush, including mine. How these cars get past quality control in Thailand beats me. One would think in this day and age a well fitted door would not be beyond a car manufacturer to produce. The selling dealer can not do much with these doors as that is how they come out from the factory. Badly built and even worse pressing/engineering of these doors. Poor build quality indeed. If I had noticed this problem at purchase or when testing a Jazz I would have spent my money on another brand. No wonder Honda cars have developed a perception of poor quality. So readers be beware of Honda Jazz rear door assembly quality.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Value for money - bought two :)

Bought a 2015 model with 48,000km and liked it that much I bought a 2018 model with 7000km on it (both manual transmission both Vti basic model)
*I like things basic in new cars ( less complications ) the Jazz offers that,
*Exceptionally easy to service (I do my own)
*nice to drive, great on fuel, not overly powerful ( but that's not why you buy a Jazz )
*Great Family car, more practical than most larger family sedans
*features like Aircon, great sounding touch screen audio, cruise control, power windows, steering wheel controls, hands free phone connectivity, fuel range gauges etc. all for a great price.
*styling that will age well and look like a new car for longer.

For those who own one or are looking to buy one just remember the low purchase price and compare it to what you get. I paid AUD $11,000 for the first one and $13,000 for the second one and both times I looked at other cars that were 5-7000k dearer and I couldn't see any extras in those vehicles to justify it ( some had slightly larger engines ).

If you're someone who upgrades every two years look at how well older model jazz's have held their value for an entry level car, or if you're someone who holds onto a car for years, service it well, drive it and get your money's worth that way with Honda's great reliability. Cheers.

TransmissionManual
Date PurchasedJul 2018

Absolutely love it

If you are looking for a small car that is comfy, economical,easy to handle and looks cute the JAZZ is what you want.
The seats fold flat to make a very spacious area for luggage or even camping.
The car is very quiet and so zippy and easy to park.

BadgeVibe
Date PurchasedJan 2018

Best small car for everyone especially for bicycle riders

I purchased this second hand for airport run. I am a FIFO worker and I need a reliable second car solely for airport commuting. During a month of ownership, I am very satisfied with this zippy Jazz. I can recommend this to people who want reliable, cheap to maintain, fuel efficient and bicycle loadable car. It is a good highway cruiser too.
Here are more detailed information,

* fairly easy DIY maintenance: engine oil cost $20 (sale from supercheap) filter is $15, spark plugs, cabin filter, air filter, automatic transmission fluid change are all easy DIY jobs. Of course if you do these at shops, they charge , for example, min $200 for auto oil change, but it costs me $55 for HONDA OEM oil.

*good fuel economy: I get around 5l/100km, 20km/litre on highway and 5.2l/100km combined

* great loading size: if you love cycling, this is by far one of the best SMALL car for bike transfortation, thanks to magic seats

*quite few tweaks required to upgrade your speaker and audio unit; stock OEM speaker is rubbish so you want to upgrade with after market ones but to do that you either need an adaptor or modify your speaker bracket.
head unit needs a new fascia and connecting harness to have aftermarket double DIN head unit installed

Thanks for reading.

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Honda service looking for gold under the hood.

If Honda service centre in Prahran gets hold of your car they will be sure to suggest many expensive repairs and when you say you can't afford them they will pull the old scare tactic of roadworthiness. They wanted $500 to replace a rubber that insulates the engine vibration from the car body. When I asked to be shown the problem they said they couldn't, it was actually just a prediction of what might happen as the car gets older. How can what might happen later make the car unroadworthy now and since when is vibration grounds for unroadworthiness?

The same thing happened with the shock absorbers. For $700 I could have more rubber replaced to prevent them rattling. Then they wanted to replace the platinum-tipped spark plugs for $95 each and for $85 they would also like to replace the wiper blades. I asked if they too were platinum-tipped. They didn't get my sarcasm and just frowned like I was crazy.

I said NO to everything and now am looking around for an alternative place to maintain my car and any REAL issues it presents. My next service is the 200,000 Km @ $1,200. When I mentioned this price seemed high I was told it was my fault for keeping the car so long. I've spent $16,000 on servicing my Honda Jazz every 6 months or 5,000 km since buying it new in 2003. I asked if it was poor engineering that required such frequent servicing. My friend owns a Toyota and spends $152 every 12 months for a service. When I mentioned this to Honda they explained that Toyota Australia subsidised services to keep them so low. I remarked that Toyota was starting to look good in that case. They just stood there staring at me speechless. Oh, what a feeling!

More info https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBpMe36GoW0

Date PurchasedJan 2003

2018 Jazz – perfect small van

This is my first car and although I wanted a second hand one, this turned out to be alright. My favourite thing about the Jazz is the space. It is roomy and perfect for traveling. One of the let-down features (for my dad) was how the VTi-S didn't have a CD player. The aircon takes a bit of work to cool the car when it is Summer so that stinks. I like the driving experience, I'm don't know how to describe too well car terminology but it drives smoothly. The noise is minimal, great legroom, even for a short person like me – the seats cater to. Cheap fuel – fuel efficient!

Date PurchasedSep 2017

Not worth the money

It drives OK but is really bumpy driving for passengers in the back seat. The suspension isn't all that great. Really good on fuel and I like how the back seats fold up. The trimming on the passenger side window started falling off within 2 weeks that I had it. Honda never got around to fixing it, as they always forgot lol. Went through a puddle one day which ripped the bottom engine splash shield in half. Took it back to Honda who said they would fix it when they only tighed it back on with cable ties. Now the electric window (driver side) only works when it wants to and the radio cuts out every now and then since day 1. I wouldn't buy Honda again.

Engine Size1.3L
Date PurchasedSep 2014

PIV gear box

then gear box develops a shudder .
to clear the gear box needs to be flushed out with honda gearbox oil

any car that has done more then 120k should be suspect if the gear box has not been re built

honda is letting its brand and customers down by not doing the right thing and replacing a faulty design

Badge8000
Date PurchasedOct 2008

Plastic Trim Below Wind Screen Faded

My Honda Jazz is still within the warranty period. The first fault was the front seat belt buckle did not lock properly. Honda dealer had it replaced.
The second issue was the plastic trim below the wind screen which faded. Honda dealer and Honda HQ said it was due to "sun damage", and not covered by the warranty.

I am still puzzled because all cars are made to be driven and parked under the sun, in the rain, under the moon ... So the plastic trim should withstand the beating of the Australian sun and rain. I noticed that cars of other brands did not have such fading problem. I am at wits end, and don't know what else I can do.

I am not sure would anyone accept that a raincoat damaged by water is an acceptable explanation.

Date PurchasedMay 2013

My baby

Have a 2017 Vti-L and and I love my car, the first one I bought myself. Super cute and actually really roomy compared the Suzuki Swift I used to drive (passed through the family). I personally think the interior is the best compared to all the small hatchbacks on the market currently. Wheel traction could be improved. Affordable to run but. It's a good little car.

Date PurchasedDec 2017