Honda Jazz

See the Best Hatchbacks in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

ALMOST 5 STAR

The GPS looks cheap. Noise of the engine when accelerating from stationary position and especially when starting on a slope. I love the seat warmer. I wish they make the boot accessible by the push of a button like the accord. I like the side mirrors that can be retracted. Noise from the rego plate- I had to stick a double sided tape to stop the noise. I bought it from Parramatta Honda. In hindsight, I could have bought it from private fleet and get a newer build. Mine was 3 month old and had been used to show interested customers. Yet, the dealer still want full price. The special feature of the car is the magic seat which can create more space if you are buying pots of plant

Purchased in July 2019.

Great economical Versatile City Car

This frugal car consumes 6.5 litres every 100 kms city cycle. The ride is a little unsteady at times. Infotainment system is basic. No android auto. Servicing is not cheap.

Purchased in April 2019 at Dealership Direct for $15,000.00.

Year2018

Lovely car

I was lucky to get my 2014 Honda Jazz auto vti from a family member at a discounted price. Car is under 100000km, always serviced and just great fun to drive. There is reverse camera, Bluetooth connection, electrical windows and many other features. The seats at the back fold down and there is a lot of space. One thing I don’t like though is that temperature controls are digital. This makes it very very difficult to control while you are driving. My husband’s Kia cerato and my previous car (Nissan micra) have knobs, which makes it so much easier to control. Also one other negative is that the screen doesn’t let you connect your phone for satnav. There is a work around but it’s either complicated or expensive. Despite these negative I love it and is comfortable.

Purchased in June 2019 for $10,000.00.

BoughtUsed
Comfort

Small but versatile little car.

We use the car for general city run about and picking up the kids from school. It's extremely frugal and zippy for the engine size. We were surprised how roomy the car is due to high ceiling compare to other small hatchbacks.

Purchased in February 2016 at Mazda Dealers for $12,000.00.

BoughtUsed
Year2010
Comfort

has this happened to you. mobile phone cable caught in steering wheel

has this happened to you. please share this with everyone I dont dont want what happened to me to happen to anyone else .I drive with my mobile next to the driver door and have the cable from the mobile across the steering wheel attached to the usb port in my honda Jazz .. the cord got caught in the steering wheel and will cost me approximately $900 to fix. apart from that bad design fault i love my Jazz but I miss my 17 year old car

Purchased in December 2018 for $16.30.

Year2018

A Bath On Wheels

If you live in an area where there is moderate to heavy rainfall do not buy a Honda Jazz/ Fit! On three occasions this hunk of junk has filled with water in all four interior foot wells. Three times we've had the carpet replaced under warranty and now we are having electrical problems. This car has only travelled 40,000 kms and is three years old. The issue just started four months ago and the Jazz is now off the road more than it is on. Each time it takes between 1-3 weeks to repair.

Water leaking into the Jazz/Fit is a common defect discussed across many international forums. Our local Honda dealership informed us they were systematically bringing an entire fleet of Jazz's in (from a local company) to repair the exact same water leak defect as in our Jazz, so it's clearly a widespread known fault by Honda. Honda Australia is refusing to acknowledge this is a major defect and safety issue (electrical). Honda sold us the Jazz knowing the Jazz has a defect with the plastic membrane in the doors, whereby the adhesive perishes over time, causing water to leak through the door into the interior foot wells and the electricals. Our vehicles carpet has been replaced 3 times in just four months, all doors are leaking water, smells like mould, electrical issues including warning lights, battery draining now we rarely get to drive our Jazz anymore...in fact we don't have the Jazz now...it's in the dealership again and has been for 8 days now.

Honda Australia is advising us to return to the dealer and get them to patch up the defect again, however, the dealer is telling us to report our concerns to Honda Australia and of course as car manufacturers often do with major faults around in circles we go. Given Honda have not been able to fix on three occasions we have no confidence in Honda at all. We requested a refund from Honda Australia and they refused, citing the solution as to keep taking the Jazz to the dealership to be repaired. How many times do we have to keep taking it to the dealership before Honda acknowledges this is a major issue?? Honda Australia are deflecting blame to the dealerships. The air conditioning is rubbish as well. Doesn't cool properly in the tropics, another known fault. We want our money back Honda!!

Purchased in February 2016 at Von Bibra for $17,995.00.

TransmissionManual
Year2016

No more Hondas for me

In early 2017 I bought a new Honda Jazz, my third having bought my first in 2005, then another in 2009. The first two were very good cars with a couple of niggles but this last one is just rubbish. The problems I have experienced are as follows:-

1. Climate control. This is the first time I had a car with this feature and bought the better model to get it. The control is hopeless. You need to have the set temperature at 26-28 to prevent freezing cold air being blasted at the driver, particularly my hands and some of the outlets cannot be adjusted to direct the airflow away. The Honda service section says "Oh yes this is very common in all Hondas" !!! I couldn't believe this comment
2. Front carpet. This is very poor quality and was almost worn through before one year was up. When I complained the service manager asked if I had been driving with heavy boots. I am a bookkeeper and don't own a pair of boots. They agreed to replace the carpet once but I have had to purchase extra mats, at Honda service centre suggestion, so it doesn't wear out again within 12 months.
3. Radio. This simply doesn't work when trying to listen to AM band radio stations. In many parts of Perth, where I live, the AM station set is taken over by another AM station so that you cant understand either one. Honda service says it doesn't happen in the workshop and wont take the car to where it does happen to check it so I just have to put up with this ridiculous situation.
4. Much to my surprise and disappointment, Honda have reverted to drum brakes on the rear and that stupid skinny spare tyre. This is, of course, my fault for not checking these things but as my 2009 Honda had rear discs and a proper spare tyre, I didn't expect that they would go backwards in their design work.
5. Major engine problem. When I took the car in for the first 1,000 km service, I was informed that the engine required major repairs and so I was without the vehicle for 3 days while they carried this out. It was all done free of charge but didn't fill me with confidence about the vehicle after only 1,000 km.
6. Entertainment unit. This is, to me, unusable except to play the radio which is of dubious quality. The manual provided is quite incomprehensible. I admit that I am well over 60 and maybe this has something to do with it but I haven't been able to work out how it will interact with my phone in a predictable way. The phone answer seems to works fine but all the other functions don't seem to. Sometimes it works and sometimes not and I cant tell whether this is because of my incompetence or the poor quality of the unit.
7. Other design Faults. It is often not possible to be heard on the phone when the air conditioning is operating. I assume this is because the air blows over the microphone so I have to turn off the air conditioning to talk hands-free on the phone. No volume control on the entertainment unit is very inconvenient for passengers. The clock in the car is only visible to the driver. It has been taken out of the central console and is now part of the driver's information screens. Reversing camera is a waste of time, it is very basic and the small screen makes it almost impossible to make out any detail of what is happening behind the car. No sat-nav nor is it possible to connect the phone sat-nav to the screen in the car. (A feature which I told the salesperson I wanted in the car and he omitted to tell me it would not be available)

All in all a very poor representation of a modern car and I will never buy another Honda as a result of this piece of rubbish.

Purchased in February 2017 at Honda Dealers for $21,000.00.

Year2017
Comfort

A Rust Bucket! Stay away from that car!

In December, 2014 I purchased my Honda Jazz (delivered January, 2015). In less than a year I spotted the first signs of rust in the engine bay area, quickly spreading to other sections of the car.
I reported it around July, 2016 and three more times at every next service. Nothing was ever done until an NCAT application was heard. Honda offered to rectify the problem.
Pictures taken during the first rust removal attempt showed a wide spread area especially in the invisible sections of the car.
In August, 2018 I delivered my car to Suttons City to have it repaired.
A few weeks later my car was returned to me with a cracked windscreen, several clips and bolts missing, unsecured windscreen plastic side panels and a few other small problems.

In less than three months the rust started to reappear again and a second repair was organized by Honda (Suttons Motors) in Feb/March 2019. I got my car back, still with a cracked windscreen and several areas with reappeared rust which have not been fixed.
According to an expert from NSW Collision and Safety Centre, the rust problem on car is due to a major manufacturing failure and the car should've been written off under NSW Consumer Law, however Honda Australia and the dealer; Suttons Motors (City) insisted that "under the warranty Insurance conditions they had the right to repair the car".
It is like putting a bandage on a badly infected wound hoping that it will be OK.
Three years later into this rust saga, rust is coming back despite the two attempts to solve the problem.

Purchased in December 2014 at Larke Hoskins.

Good Car

I love my Honda Jazz which I bought brand new. Its a small car that has lots of power in the engine and you can also switch it to eco which uses less fuel. The only down fall would be that I had to take it in to get the starter motor changed as there was a manufacture fault. However there was no cost for this.

Purchased in December 2014.

Extremely poor air-condtioner

We bought the 2018 Jazz for my wife and stuck with a Honda after many years of happy driving with our Honda Civic. However, the Jazz is just not value for money. In particular the air-conditioner is terrible; it is totally inadequate for coping with an summer conditions in Australia. It cannot get the cabin to a reasonable temperature once the mercury outside rises above 28. Further, the seats are uncomfortable for anything more than city driving and short distances. To be fair the boot is a good size and the “magic seats” provide great room for those little larger parcels and there is plenty of legroom both in the front and rear but overall the Jazz is a disappointment and I would not recommend it to anyone, especially if they live in area where the temperature gets above 28 degrees i.e. pretty much anywhere in Australia.

BadgeVTi-L
Date PurchasedJan 2018

Disappointed with air conditioning which was never fixed

I bought my Honda Jazz Vti-s in 2015. Since I bought I complained in every single inspection in relation to the air conditioning which does not work properly.

Every time I was told there was no any problem. Now when the warranty is finished I was told that there is some problems and parts need to be replaced which will cost me a lot.

It's so sad as since I bought it I had other issues which was never resolved.

Date PurchasedSep 2015

Very practical car...but wheres the Apple car play?

We purchased the Jazz to replace a 2018 Hyundai i30 (which was a lemon- full refund- thank you Hyundai). Love the 7 year warranty and 7 year NRMA cover. ....not so keen on the 6 monthly servicing schedule ($250-$290 a service) though.

The dealer (Scotts Honda at Artarmon) was great, the sales staff knew all about the various models etc. The sales guys are on the same floor as the service reception so the show room can appear busy...but nothing is too much trouble and they are eager to please.

We purchased a dealer demo +Sport Limited edition of 240 cars into Australia. Essentially its a VTI-S with some extras thrown in and a +sport badge that must add 5KW right !?
Very roomy, practical car. Magic seats are such a simple but ingenious idea. Huge boot space with rear seats folder flat.

Auto box feels good, quite spritely from the off...although the i-vtec engines like to be revved so the engine can sound a little noisy when you accelerate.

Audio sounds good and its useful that multiple phones can be added. The Sat Nav is ok, not as quick as google maps etc and the auto/robot voice is annoying. I wish the car had an apple car play compatible unit.

Reverse camera is ok...not great at night though.

The car will only be used for the daily commute and to teach a Learner in a couple of years time.

Badge+sport (Limited Edition)
Date PurchasedJan 2019

Perfect!

I absolutely love my Honda Jazz! it runs very smooth and is very roomy for a small/medium hatchback, back seats go down also so it can fit a lot in the back! I get my car serviced with Honda every 10,000kms and they are excellent and also give you a loan car for free for the day! I would definitely recommend the beauty of a car and the Honda Jazz 2015 is very nicely shaped. And also pretty good on petrol. And hot mag wheels to match.

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Cant see navigation or reverse camera

Purchased the Jazz and everything has been going well. We only have 1 issue.
Ths infotainment system is on such a big angle that catches the slightest sunlight. This makes the navigation and reverse camera useless as you can't see the screen unless its cloudy or night time. This is a massive design issue and one Honda has said they won't fix.

Date PurchasedNov 2018

Poor Quality Parts in JAZZ door

We bought a brand new JAZZ through Honda dealer. This JAZZ drives OK. We like the magic seats.
Although we have serviced this car regularly through the Honda Dealer driver side door actuator failed after 60,000 KMs. Took it to the Honda Dealer for repairs. After $326 & three trips to the dealer they fixed it. Very next day the passenger side front door lock started playing up. Sometime it will not open remotely. Similar symptoms to the other side.
Clearly the HONDA quality is gone down. It is sad to see such a reputed manufacturer not see quality as an important issue. No more JAZZEs again.

BadgeGLi
Date PurchasedMay 2011

With a little TLC, a Jazz should keep running forever.

Bought a Jazz brand new in 2005 for my wife. She uses it mainly for commuting, the school run and the occasional road trip. We also use it for those occasions where we need to move bulky items, as it's the largest car either of us owns.

So far, the Jazz only let her down once. This was due to a wear and tear item, being the battery. Other than wear and tear items like brakes, tyres, batteries and the odd rear wheel bearing, the Jazz has been completely reliable.

The car has one issue: reverse gear on the CVT gearbox takes around 15 seconds or so to engage when the car is started on cold mornings. Once the car has warmed up a bit, the gearbox works fine. When we last had the CVT serviced, we asked the Honda dealer about it. Their reply is that the box is probably good for another 100,000km or so before it becomes a major problem. At that stage, we'll probably send it to the wreckers and get another brand new Jazz to replace it.

For the first 12 years, we had the Jazz serviced exclusively at Honda dealers. However, given the car's age, I'm now attending to minor services myself (mainly oil changes). That said, the next time the CVT is due to be serviced, it will be going straight back to the dealer.

I've driven manual Jazzes with over 300,000km on the clock and I am convinced that a manual Jazz is one of the best cars to buy if you want cheap transport and are handy with spanners. Automatic Jazzes ... not so much. But you'll still get 250,000-300,000km out of an automatic Jazz if you get the CVT box serviced every couple of years.

Date PurchasedJun 2005

great car

We use our car every day.we have it serviced at Honda and are pleased with the work.We have owned the car for fourteen months and have not noticed any problems.fuel economy is good and power is fine.Really like the room and the high driving position doesn't feel like a small car to drive.Very pleased with the car

Date PurchasedAug 2017

BAD REAR DOOR PRESSING RESULTS IN DOORS NOT FITTING FLUSH

Honda Australia
You need to look at the pressing of the rear doors on the 2017 Jazz model GF. A lot of the Jazz rear doors do not fit flush, including mine. How these cars get past quality control in Thailand beats me. One would think in this day and age a well fitted door would not be beyond a car manufacturer to produce. The selling dealer can not do much with these doors as that is how they come out from the factory. Badly built and even worse pressing/engineering of these doors. Poor build quality indeed. If I had noticed this problem at purchase or when testing a Jazz I would have spent my money on another brand. No wonder Honda cars have developed a perception of poor quality. So readers be beware of Honda Jazz rear door assembly quality.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Value for money - bought two :)

Bought a 2015 model with 48,000km and liked it that much I bought a 2018 model with 7000km on it (both manual transmission both Vti basic model)
*I like things basic in new cars ( less complications ) the Jazz offers that,
*Exceptionally easy to service (I do my own)
*nice to drive, great on fuel, not overly powerful ( but that's not why you buy a Jazz )
*Great Family car, more practical than most larger family sedans
*features like Aircon, great sounding touch screen audio, cruise control, power windows, steering wheel controls, hands free phone connectivity, fuel range gauges etc. all for a great price.
*styling that will age well and look like a new car for longer.

For those who own one or are looking to buy one just remember the low purchase price and compare it to what you get. I paid AUD $11,000 for the first one and $13,000 for the second one and both times I looked at other cars that were 5-7000k dearer and I couldn't see any extras in those vehicles to justify it ( some had slightly larger engines ).

If you're someone who upgrades every two years look at how well older model jazz's have held their value for an entry level car, or if you're someone who holds onto a car for years, service it well, drive it and get your money's worth that way with Honda's great reliability. Cheers.

TransmissionManual
Date PurchasedJul 2018

Absolutely love it

If you are looking for a small car that is comfy, economical,easy to handle and looks cute the JAZZ is what you want.
The seats fold flat to make a very spacious area for luggage or even camping.
The car is very quiet and so zippy and easy to park.

BadgeVibe