HSBC

Banking... at it's Worst

HSBC operators seems that they don't want to learn from their mistakes with past complaints and it seems that they don't really even care as they're the "world's local bank", for the second time i called inquiring about my partner's account and they've told me that she needs to talk to them in person, can i ask what's the point of the authorization letter that we've done for three times in the last 12 years or so? i asked the operator if there is a supervisor to talk to and she couldn't find one, that explains how great is this "world's local bank" and it's a shame that i gave them one star because they don't even deserve it
HSBC... you keep proving that you are one of the worst Banks in terms of services and policies

excellent

I have been assisted with a customer care person "Wani" to solve an issue with my money transfer.

She was very much patient and ready to listen what was my concern . sorted the issue .

She got a good manner what a customer expecting from a bank.

She will be an asset to which establishment she is working,

Much appreciated.

eldho

Review TypeGeneral Transactions

Terrible online banking and service, stay away!!!

I opened a saver account with HSBC last month and already very unhappy with their online banking service. The app constantly crashed or non responsive, made it so difficult to transfer money in out. When I filled in the form to increase the daily limit to a third party, they only have options to fax or post (talking about 21st century high tech!!!). Once faxed I was told it took 2-3 business days to process. 2 days later I tried live chat to confirm the form has been processed. No, 2 business days only for HSBC to acknowledge they received the form, from that day it actually took another 5-7 business days for them to process. I asked why they said they need to cross check the third party bank account. What an absolute joke. Stay away from them at all cost. Not worth the hassle and the horrible service.

Disappointed and frustrating

customer service was rude in dealing with my inquiry. I had a basic question about my statement and the outstanding balance being less than my statement. and she wont entertain me until i pass security questions. i passed some but other questions i cant remember some of them. but my question is very basic and to be honest she doesnt need to get into my account to answer it. she kept pushing me away and wants me to hang up the phone. im wanting to payout my loan and this is the kind of attention im getting. these customer service personnel need to trained on how to speak politely to their customers and know which inquiries warrant a security question or not. So disappointing!!!

Banking Nightmare

Simply said keep away. If you want a good saver interest rate use a small bank with simple clear conditions. HSBC will pass you around if you have any issue and apparently simply hope you go away seems to be their customer relations strategy. Basically they make the terms and conditions of the Serious Saver account we used so onerous and totally lacking in transparency you will 50% chance end up losing at least a month's interest. Head to their terms and conditions (won't help) When describing interest qualifying criteria they literally use words like "generally" and "may".

Review TypeGeneral Transactions

Very disappointed for such well build looks but poor service and efficiency

I accompanied my elderly mother to Castle Hills branch to open A serious savings account . After we were wondering in front for about 5 minutes, there was a lady staff walked towards us from outside wearing HSBC uniform. She chatted with us about our intention to do what business then asked where the source of money came from . Then I noticed a middle aged man wearing normal clothes like other customers went closer to our group and stood right next to that lady staff to listen when I tried to tell that lady staff the details of my mother’s financial situation . When I indicated my uncomfortable talking further whilst intruder man kept standing right there to listen, that lady staff just simply waved her hand saying no worries and signalled me to carry on my talks !!! How can we not worry to discuss about our financial situation in middle of open space, one stranger was ear dropped to our serious conversation This bank has no respect to clients privacy, very weird set up service!!! We were very regret walking in there in the first place. We are legitimate clients but they didn’t want our business. Why did they open their business in the first place ? Bad bad services!!!

Review TypeNew Account

Not allowing me to access MY money

I forgot my user ID etc & had to reset my password, after 10 mins spelling my name out to the operator, as he couldn’t speak English well. He wouldn’t help me with my account, so I told him to send me a bank cheque with my money & close the account, seen I can’t use it. He then turned around & said, “NO” we can’t do that.

FACT: You CAN’T keep my money, if I owe nothing, I hadn’t use my account for awhile & left my money in there. It’s My money NOT HSBC

Review TypeGeneral Transactions

HSBC- Loan experience ok but with extremely poor mobile banking and poor branch service

Been with HSBC for a couple of years now and decided to close accounts mainly because of the poor internet and mobile platform. Opening an account was easy as, but closing it.. well.. let’s just say it took quite the effort and frustration.. would not recommend using this for day to day banking, just for loans.

Review TypeGeneral Transactions, Loan Application and New Account

Bad service due to staff not able to converse properly

My husband and I went into the Parramatta branch to open an account and put $1000000. into an account as I had a very nice inheritance. I was to ring my husband to tell him where the branch was, because he couldn't walk far. My mobile phone wasn't working, so I asked the staff to phone him, which they did. Unfortunately the woman wasn't able to communicate the message properly because of poor English. He eventually found the branch. We attempted to open an account, but were blocked all the way. We were told we had to have proof how we got the money. I tried to explain but they wanted documentation which i didn't have, my brother had it. I had brought the bank statement where the money had been deposited , as i was instructed to do over the phone. This was not enough, so I got them to ring the solicitor who was handling the estate of my late mother. The solicitor kindly sent them an email l stating that I had got the money from my mother's will. This was not enough for them. #We were told they needed the documentation and that they only were open till 4pm , so we had only had half an hour to get it all together or we need to come back tomorrow. We told them all sorts of information, but were asked the same questions many times over. We were very dissatisfied with our treatment a and now we are taking our 1 million dollars elsewhere.

Absolute rubbish

RUBBISH. Took 2 weeks to open our account. Then I received an email telling me to click the link to register for internet banking. I clicked the link and entered details. It said Internet banking is not accessible. I called customer service and they said my profile has not been set up, and this may take another 48 hours. Will be closing the account before even using it. Timewasters.

Hopeless Bank

Application forms for Credit Cards is one painful process that usually results in failure due to a system that does not work.
A confusing document submission process and this bank insists on faxing document. I was given a link that did not work 3 times and later told to fax the documents. In 2019 who still uses fax?
The customer service is horrible, no feedback, if you phone all answers are scripted you will never get a straightforward answer.
I am closing my savings account. I should have checked reviews here before burning my credit score.

Review TypeCredit Card Application

A haven for money launderers

I had my phone number and ID stolen a few months ago and it was used to transfer funds online (to HSBC and then offshore) and open a HSBC account. I contacted HSBC straightaway when I received a statement in the mail for this account I did not open. They requested a stat dec and police report no. which I provided that day. I requested account be closed. I also went into a branch and showed them the fraudulent mule account. Another month later it is still open. I have complained in writing again, yet still no response. It has been more than "2 business days" after my complaint which is a breach of their complaints policy. Obviously criminals are using this bank because they view it as lax in security and service. Terrible terrible service.

Review TypeGeneral Transactions and New Account

The worst bank service I ever had at national and international scale

HSBC has a very poor service:

1) They will make you go through several different types of keys, secret phrases, secret names, and codes in order to save peanuts to avoid hire banking staff to do their job. Exactly, you are the one doing their job.
2) If they have an issue, don't worry! Your 6 digit savings will disappear from your accounts for more than 2 weeks. Moreover, you won't hear from they at all. whether by email, message in online profile, phone call to come to agency....ZERO communications.
3) You can notify them that you will move abroad, you can change your address, you can change your mobile number and you can also see that these changes were done in your online profile, but don't worry. You will be doing the groceries for the week one day and there you go....your card has been blocked out of the blue. Ah, yes...guess what....Zero communication as well on all thousands of possible ways to tell you something.
Absolutely, one of the poorest bank services EVER. Don't bother join these guys.

Review TypeATM Experience, Business Banking, General Transactions and New Account

Not recommended

Absolutely unwilling to cooperate. Not recommend this bank to anyone and no way I would come back. Probably any other bank will perform better for you then HSBC.

Review TypeGeneral Transactions

They can't even call their own departments.

I'll spare you the whole story but I have been trying to update my account details on a Serious Saver account with HSBC and the process has taken about 3 weeks now with hours of time on the phone. I was handed around from person to person. They promised callbacks that never eventuated. I have probably spoken to 7 or more different representatives from their phone customer service now to try and sort my issue. They tell me "another department" has to sort the issue but this "other department" can't be contacted via phone, only email. That is a travesty in my opinion (and sub-par) and has caused me to waste my own time trying to sort this whole issue out. Staff are great, don't get me wrong but there's a underlying sickness in the organisation that needs to be fixed in their process and communication channels otherwise they will continue to have disempowered customer service staff.

Great

Opened a global account as I commute between countries. I love having access to different curriences on the 1 card. It's a must have if you deal with many currencies.

Review TypeGeneral Transactions and New Account

Happy Customer

I have been with HSBC for 7 years and am still happy with the service. I live in Melbourne and there are many branches in the eastern suburbs to go if I needed something done. The staff regardless of each branch are very professional and got every thing done as I requested. When I applied for the platinum credit card, the staff would constantly let me know where the process is up to and telling me when it will arrive. Opening and closing accounts were done swiftly and professionally. Their online chat support I have used was great, very professional and informative. They gave me the right advice. Still I prefer coming to the branch to get important banking matters done compared to other banks which are closing branches. Very happy with their services. Great branches are Chadstone and Glen Waverley which I go to a lot.

Review TypeCredit Card Application, General Transactions and New Account

Don't Apply for Credit Card!

The process for credit card takes ages and you need to set an appointment for a couple of days in advance. They ask many questions and they never tell you on what basis exactly you will be assessed and what can happen. They rejected my application and still they put a note on my file for rejection. I have no debts owed and I have no infringement, but still they provide no explanation.
I have contacted the customer service and still they don't tell and when you ask them they will say we explained everything to you when you applied! The next step is to contact the customer advocate. It is useless, don't try that as they will say the same thing. I have dealt with HSBC in other jurisdictions and they were far better as I was issued credit cards with no problem. The online banking system is not good and I am seriously considering closing the account with them (since 2010) as I will keep the money myself!

Service..what service!

I transferred my credit card requirements to HSBC due to their fees and rewards system about six months ago. The process to do so was quite slow with many long 'on hold' phone calls required. I persevered and then requested an additional card for my wife. The process again was quite laborious and after two months of issues the card arrived with her name misspelled. To rectify their error, we were then required to undergo the entire verification process even though this was correctly completed previously. The problem with HSBC is that they are too big to care. They are too bureaucratic an institution to manage issues promptly but more importantly have poorly trained staffed.

There's a reason why they rate so low on this website and I wish I'd taken greater stock of this and banked elsewhere which is what I will do now!!

Review TypeCredit Card Application

Hopeless bank...avoid avoid avoid!!

Been with the bank for past 20 years bit embarrassing but they are Useless! Totally useless ...do avoid and save yourself a whole heap of headaches.. they will constantly block your account for zero reason almost intentionally to stop you spending your own money! Hate them with a passion thank god I have an account with another decent bank!