Joshua J.

Joshua J.Sydney, NSW

It’s perfect for me.

I’ve been with this bank for 2 months. I can’t fault it so far. I get 2% cash back for anything I PayPass under $100. (Doesn’t work with Coles for some reason).

I haven’t had any issues yet to have the need to contact customer service. But reading other reviews maybe that’s a section that HSBC should look at.

Miah I.

Miah I.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Worst customer service. Very unprofessional stop banking with HSBC

I have a one credit card with HSBC. My credit report shows that I got Two credit cards with HSBC. Need a letter from HSBC that’s state i got only one credit card. Call to customer service but they’re not able to send me. Very disappointed closing my service from HSBC.

Eddie W

Eddie WGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Avoid like the Plague

I've only been with HSBC for 6 weeks with everyday account and credit card account. This bank closed my credit card account with no prior notification and have so far been unable to provide an explanation why. I've paid my one and only statement on-time and in full. Calls to customer service proved futile as they said they will call me back to no avail, visits to the branch proved futile as they said it's with the collection department and they can't assist. I'm stuck here with no credit card for direct debit processing, no explanation as to why the account was blocked, no one at HSBC can even tell me if my credit score is even affected if and when this is sorted out. Never again.

burning l.

burning l.

Bullying Liars!

I opened an "interest free credit card" with these bullies on 02/02/2017. I made the first payment on time and yet there were unsubstantiated charges on the next statement. This literally continued for the next 3 years. The item I purchased "interest free" was paid off more than 18 months ago and they have continued to levy fees and charges. Despite an ongoing review of the matter, they have lodged a number of late payment records on this account and singlehandedly destroyed my credit rating. I operate a number of other utilities and cards and all a near perfect. DO NOT GO NEAR these people as they will damage your ability to do business and not give a damn.

Syed Zaidi

Syed Zaidi

Appalling service and zero communication

Jake P.

Jake P.Sydney, NSW

Worst bank I've ever dealt with

Been with HSBC for 15 years and found the quality of service to have gotten worse over this time.
I have 3 accounts with HSBC in Hong Kong, UK and Australia. UK and Australia are bad but not terrible but the HK branch is the worst I've ever dealt with. The online chat seems broken, call centres are too bureaucratic to help and the mobile app is not easy to use.
I wouldn't recommend this company to my worst enemy.

The worst company I have experienced in my life

I had a credit card taken out in my name fraudulently over 5 years ago and I have been trying to sort it out with this bank for that long
I have a bad credit history because of this and it has taken a huge toll on my life
I have lodged so many complaints and they have done NOTHING to help me
I have spent hours in the phone only to get nowhere and to be told they will ‘get back to me’
They are the worst company I have had the experience of dealing with
Instead of dealing with it themselves they have passed my case into various debt collectors who have been hassling me for years
I hope they are happy with their customer service and the toll it has taken on my life

Travers Scott

Travers ScottGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Staff tried to stitch me up on a 0% transfer

I have been a customer of HSBC for a number of years and recently applied for a 0% transfer credit card which was approved. However after the approval I have been told the 0% wasn’t available and it was more like 5.7%.
It has so far taken 8 phone calls across 7 days to sort out their issues and although they talk English they don’t understand English.
I still don’t have a resolve and have to call them back again to sort it out.
I will end up closing my accounts and going to a service with some customer service

If your thinking of applying through HSBC - don’t do it, go to an organisation that has a branch and people who can offer even the simplest of customer service

Other Banks
3.6
Mandi A.

Mandi A.

So hard to do anything

So it took 3 x phone calls to even set up the account (after applying online and putting in all the info they needed). There is literally 5 different passwords/codes that you need to do anything which makes it really difficult. Their security actually makes it hard to use their services and get into your account. One of the reasons I got the account was for international transactions but I would never rely on this bank when overseas as due to their security processes I'm sure I wouldn't be able to access my funds without my mobile phone on 'roaming' and who would bother with that?
I can almost never log on without help. I will be closing my account and moving somewhere easier

Find out how HSBC compares to other Banks

Probably the worst app/website experience I've ever had

- Customer service couldn't help me ACTIVATE my debit card
- Literally could not generate a debit card pin through the website
- The security code given to me was incorrect every time and during my interaction with customer service, I was locked out of my account three times
- Great offers (cashback) but it's not worth the time and effort of trying to set up an account with them
- Do yourself a favour and look at CBA/ANZ

Jwat

Jwatmelbourne

MISLEADING information

I signed up for a SERIOUS SAVINGS account with HSBC. An introductory offer of 2 percent for four months was followed by a variable rate thereafter. But NO! Turns out that introductory offer was variable too. And I got the 2 percent benefit for less than 30 days! I rang to complain and the complaints person agreed with me that the wording was misleading. Beware. Interestingly, I started a bank account with Macquarie that was offering the exact same conditions - and guess what. Their 2 percent is fixed for four months. Be more transparent if you want my business.

Tiger.Eyes

Tiger.EyesSydney, NSW

Unacceptable Service (not)

HSBC don't even deserve the 1 star I had no choice but to give them. Staff both on the phone and in branch are all so very very rude and arrogant. To withdraw money from inside the bank you are given a hard time and questions for 2.5 hours even though I had to prove that I needed the funds for my international holiday a few years ago. The staff all need immediate training beginning with customer service skills!

Unfortunately I have had the very worst of experiences with the HSBC ever. You get no support or assistance over the phone or either in the bamk. I'm very disappointed and upset and regret opening account with them a few years ago.

Farid S.

Farid S.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Service offered by HSBC is beyond a joke

TopicCredit Card Application and New Account
Matt jackson

Matt jacksonBrisbane

Worst customer service

Really really hard to deal with. It’s all with overseas representatives as well. I’ll be moving my mortgages to someone else. I was trying to change my repayments to 3 days later and they couldn’t do it.

Bad Bank

Bad BankPerth, WA

All my dealing with HSBC I have come to the conclusion they are incompetent.

I wished to make a large deposit and the bureaucracy you have to go through, no other bank requires the level of documentation HSBC require, they are out of control. Even their staff have no idea what is required to make a term deposit. I had to keep reminding them I do not wish to take out a loan, I wish to deposit money with them. Calls to branch and their 1300308008 are a waste of time as staff do not have the knowledge to make a decision or even give any basic direction. When they say someone will call you back, that doesn't happen.

kratov

kratovSydney, NSW

hsbc has gone high tech crazy.

Joe

JoeGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Don’t get an hsbc Card, they have awful customer service.

Have been using HSBC this year and am very disappointed with their customer service. Their systems are old and you have to call them and spend ages on the phone with their offshore contact centre for issues, even though it is their old systems at fault. Avoid.

Bureaucracy gone mad.

HSBC have the worst customer service. I have indicated on my preferences that I do not wish to receive marketing material but I kept getting them. I messaged from within the online banking app but apparently that is not good enough, I had to call and request it stop. I called, waited on hold for 15 minutes, had to go through the verification process twice with two different people, on hold in between while I was transferred only to be told at the end that they would put a request in to the relevant department to stop sending me marketing material. Useless bureaucracy at its worst. You have lost a customer.

Jules

JulesMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Dodge this bank at all costs.

Gui M.

Gui M.Sydney, NSW

Avoid like the plague

I had an account with them.
The uber-complicated and convoluted authentication between app and desktop site was soul destroying as the user is NOT prompted to check code from the app and vice versa.
I called the call centre in 2 occasion and they were helpful BUT it defeats the purpose of self serving online or via the app.
In addition, poor exchange rates and supporting Beijing vice on HK...so not all in all not for me!
(I only considered them for international accounts and currencies).
Go to Transferwise instead!