Hyundai Veloster FS (2012-Present)

Hyundai Veloster FS (2012-Present)

Appalling aftersale customer service

I use my 2015 Hyundai Veloster every day to do many kms due to my work. The car unfortunately has a lot of manufacturing issues. I have had just about everything replaced / repaired on the car under “ new car warranty “. To have things fixed it is an absolute fight and my local Hyundai dealership Darwin motor group are extremely unethical and tried to lie telling me my 5 year new car warranty was expired when in fact it hasn’t. Don’t be fooled by the “ new car warranty “ like I was and think it would easy to use.

TransmissionManual
Date PurchasedAug 2018

Bad service

I loved my Veloster until it left me stranded the other night after 3 months and only 4000 km. Dealer thought it was the alternator. Replaced the alternator and it's still not going with the dealer not knowing why. It has been 5 days now and I'm spending 4 hours a day on public transport as the dealer says they don't have a loan car to give me. Ironically, my 10 year old Honda Civic never had a glitch. Very unimpressed with Hyundai's attitude - basically, they don't care.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018
I've finally been given a loan car until my car is fixed- they don't know when this will be.

BLUETOOTH PHONE INTERFACE VERY DANGEROUS

I purchased my 2012 non turbo veloster 6 months ago and overall are really happy. I am a bit of a fastidious judge as I moved from a bells and whistles Toyota kluger btw. The power of this 1.6 is probably fair, I do have concern that if I put my foot down so this car could get me out of trouble very quickly it would fail as the gearbox seems sluggish (no comparison to a toyota gearbox sorry hyundai). It's amazingly economical, very comfortable and I think it's surprisingly well finished - it does not present like a budget-ish car. In sports mode (triptronic shift I think it's called) it's very responsive and very nippy however I do not wish to drive like that all the time. The rear camera and back/side sensors are excellent. My biggest concern is the bluetooth phone interface. It's totally dangerous!! To dial a pre-saved number it takes 4 button presses - one on the steering wheel then 3 on the central dashboard screen. You really need to go hunting for the buttons as the text / buttons are quite small and you need to be accurate where you are pressing. I think this is highly dangerous and have already had a few near misses as my eyes have been off the road too long. With the toyota it was just one button press to call a pre saved number - far far safer. My car does not have sat nav unfortunately . Overall, happy with the car.

Date PurchasedJun 2017

Good but not perfect

The car is built on the old Elantra. They did the best they could. The fact it is one of the top selling cars in Australia in its class. The interior is pretty good and the 1.6 Turbo engine has no peers in its class. I think I will look forward to the new model based on the new platform that the i30 is. It will be great and get 5 stars. The dual clutch is pretty nice and lets face it. It shytes on the VW and Ford.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Poor radio reception

The dealer that I purchased the car from blamed the poor radio reception on the signal strength from the radio transmitter. The towers were less than one kilometer away.
I have now taken the car to another dealer who is trying to be helpful. The aerial was disconnected and an external one used. The result was that all is now satisfactory. When the aerial in the glass of the rear window was reconnected the reception was again pitiful. The dealer was unable to do more until the tint was removed from the window. The tint has now been removed - same result. The problem appears to be the aerial on the glass is not fit for purpose. We shall see!!!

BadgeStreet
Date PurchasedFeb 2017

A fantastic Car with a very smooth drive

AN excellent Car for around the City or on the Highway. This thing purrs when you put your foot down and won't equally burn a hole in your wallet fuel wise. Comfortably getting about 450km's + when driving around the City.
Upsides are many with the rear passenger side door providing a discrete cabin for your kids to climb in and out of. Nicely appointed dashboard and interior leather also adding a nice luxury touch.
Downside for me would have to be the 7,500 service intervals which is expected for a turbo model.

Date PurchasedJun 2015

Smart and sporty

I love my Veloster turbo. I've had the car since brand new in May 2014.
A great vehicle for a one child family too.
Sleek designs and a very responsive engine. Wouldn't change any aspect of the car.
Reliability is excellent and I've had no issues since purchase. The car is great around town or for a long drive alike.
Fuel usage City 8-8.5 litres per 100
Fuel usage Highway 6-7 litres per 100

Date PurchasedMay 2014

Great car with a very few minor niggles. Highly recommended

Our Veloster is a great car with no mechanical issues and is now approaching 4 years in age and 42,000kms. Still with original tyres, battery and brake pads. The service at Ryde Hyundai has been excellent. If I was suggesting changes to Hyundai I would upgrade the GPS/Map so that it works all the time and has the same warranty as the rest of the car ( unit is 3 years and car 5 years). Also the leather on the most used seats (especially drivers) needs an upgrade as it shows a bit of wear, I now have seat covers. Mechanically the car has been flawless with regular service intervals. I do find the big drivers door can be an issue in tight parking spaces and getting in the back is a little difficult but the overall car is extremely good and fuel efficient. I really like the matt grey colour, its looks and it has enough power for the city and road trips

Date PurchasedJun 2013
I have now had the radio/satnav replaced under warranty yet another unit replaced

Love my veloster 2016 Street

I had a 2013 FS+ which i loved, i had no problems with it all. Loved it so much that i just upgraded to the 2016 Street. This car has everything, heated and cooling seats which are great for a Perth summer. It drives amazing and when i put my foot down it pushes me back in my seat. Super economical, i get 650ks out of a tank which costs around $60. It is so comfortable, i cant fault it. Look forward to driving it everyday. Looks sexy as hell with its black rims which came standard and its dark blue metalic paint.

BadgeStreet
Date PurchasedSep 2016

I love mine except for one thing....

Bought a Sunflower Yellow veloster 2013 model, three years ago (demo model). I love the smooth curvy lines of it, the concealed third door, the deep yellow colour, fuel efficiency, and I always get comments on it - it definitely is eye candy. I didn't want a car that looked like any other car. In that respect, Veloster is way ahead of its rivals. It looks a bit like a Porsche. I love that it has reverse camera and GPS (although they are not exclusive to this car).
I've had mine for 3 years and I just had the 45,000 k service this week. Never have had any mechanical problems that other people have mentioned. In three years I have just had to have the wipers replaced this week.
The vehicle is great in all mechanical and aesthetic respects, except for one major (to me) thing. The headunit (which is the touch screen for the GPS, the radio, Bluetooth, etc, has frozen, gets stuck, and/or behaves erratically. This happened one month after the 3 year warranty ended. It is useless. The Hyundai dealer where I get my Veloster serviced was not able to fix it, or reset it, or update it, and quoted $1000 for a replacement headunit. One of the main features of this car for me is the touch screen Sat Nav, so I am disappointed that this now is unusable in such a short time. However, as disappointing as this is, I still rate this car as Excellent, due to its design, it is visually appealing, unique, beautiful, and a statement, and I haven't had any mechanical problems with it. It gets me to where I need to go, safely, reliably, and economically (I just get lost due to the Sat Nav headunit not working).

Date PurchasedJun 2013

Absolutely love my car!

I'm quite surprised to read the "bad reviews" that are on here. I have a 2014 Veloster Turbo that I had purchased just under a month ago which was an ex-executive driven vehicle with only 3,000km on the odometer. Mind you, this technically is a 2 year old car & I have to say I cannot see any "Wear 'n' tare" with the interior to the degree that these people are saying. My leather seats are very much in-tact and over all the car actually looks brand new still. Makes me wonder if these people actually have been taking care of the interior at all for them to experience such problems! Drive-ability wise this car is absolutely amazing to drive. Hyundai have really stepped up.

Gone are the "excel" days. But yet on saying that, you often still see those car's getting around & running strong! The build quality of the Veloster is nothing but awesome. Feels much more like a "prestige" car then anything else I have driven in the same category. Have not experienced any problems and to be honest from the experience thus far, I don't expect there to be any.
To anyone out there considering on buying one of these Gems, whether it be ex-executive, demo, used or new. Test drive one yourself first and give it a decent run. Push it on the free-ways and drive it in a way that will give you a feel for all types of conditions you may run into out there as an owner. Personally I loved it from take off. Had never owned a Hyundai before this & have to say, I am impressed!

Date PurchasedJul 2016

Love My Voloster

Had my 2014 Voloster for 2years now and it's never missed a beat. Fuel efficient plus and an absolute pleasure to drive. I have a black car and even though it looks great, certainly not good for the tropics, however I never got paint protection or interior as heard it's a load of rubbish considering the extra cost plus in Darwin it's required every 3 months. No dramas with leather interior considering our humidity. My only fault I can pick on is the colour I chose but my next volester I will know better....go white in the tropics

Motor and electrical problems

Couple months later started noticing that sometimes it didn't want to go. After the check engine light came on while trying to pass and the car was revving but not going anywhere I took it in and they couldn't findacode to show anything was wrong. Car shut off took it back and still couldn't figure it out.

Motor issues Hyundai Veloster

Major issues with my Veloster needs a new motor after 39,0000 kilometres . Until this happened to my car I was in love with it . Great car to drive , now disappointed and it has been 5 weeks off the road still waiting for a motor to come from Korea .

TransmissionAutomatic
My car has now been off the road and still at the service department . They couldn't get another motor so now I have a reconditioned motor which blew a head gasket a week ago . Now my engine is back up and running fingers crossed I will finally get my car back next week as long as Hyundai give it the ok . This has been so frustrating .

A dangerous dud!!

GPS system replaced and still doesnt work properly
Brake shuddering and grinding which service dept has said they cant see anything wrong
Tyre burst after going over a shallow pothole.
Radio reception poor (even after being replaced)
Response from Dealership appalling
Side mirrors block view
So disappointed after spending so much money and only done 8,000k

Amazing car

Have had the car for a week now and done 600km of mixed urban/highway and mojntain driving. The veloster turbo is a lot of fun to drive. Fuel efficient when not driven overly aggressively. Handles well and is quite room. I'm 6'4 and my wife is 5'2 and both of us can drive it very comfortably. I'd recommend this car to anyway looking for a fun little hatch with all the European bells and whistles but without the European price.

Never buy a Hyundai

My husband bought his Veloster in 2012 and even after just two years he had to have the shocks replaced - now over a week ago it broke down and after a week of the service department having the car they finally admitted they didn't even have the tools they needed to have a look at the transmission. Now they have and it's going to cost us about $5000 to replace and another two weeks while they wait for the parts - on a car that's 3 years old! What a joke - they have told us that they expect the clutch to only last 20,000 kms. I am telling everyone DO NOT BUY A HYUNDAI. Just to add insult to injury the car is used for commercial purposes and even though my husband made this absolutely clear to the salesperson at McCarroll's at Artarmon, no one there bothered to correct his misapprehension that he would receive the 5 years' unlimited KM's warranty - if it's commercial you only get about 130,000kms. The Hyundai head office have told him that "they are doing this" (i.e. charging him an absolute fortune) because he didn't get the car serviced at Hyundai but geographically there isn't even a service depot near our area in Western Sydney so I guess that's bad luck and it doesn't even make a difference that he's been servicing the car MORE OFTEN than they recommend. Warranty? What warranty. I guess once we've bought this new gear box we just have to bargain on replacing it every three years. What a complete joke.

TransmissionAutomatic
Just an update - it's now officially 5 weeks since the car broke down - as of Monday this week the gear box is on its second trip to a transmission specialist in Melbourne because after it was sent there for the first time (3 and a half weeks after they'd had it) it was "fixed" and then faulty when it was back in the car. Consequently we have no end in sight! At least the Department of Fair Trading have been able to make sure we don't have to pay for the repair bill (much to Hyundai's chagrin), however, we are responsible for paying for the car hire for 4 weeks. What an astonishing experience we are having.

Crap

Learher falling apart. Most uncomfortable ride with clunking on left hand side, paint is so thin that it scratches so easily All this and only four months old. I have the turbo one and do a lot of km. Talk to customer service to be told it's not a car for doing distances. Very unhappy

Good but not great

I bought my 2013 Veloster Turbo back in December 2013 it's currently at 8000mi, interior I rate a 3 and exterior I rate 5. The leather seat on driver's side showing a lot of wear. My driver's side speaker has blown. At 8000mi I have poor traction because of mediocre tires, my passenger windows don't roll down. The seat up and down adjuster doesn't work. I'm dreading what's coming at 12,000 miles. Made a huge mistake buying a red car it's almost impossible to keep clean. Frustrated consumer. Didn't have any problems with my Accent and my Sonata.

BadgeSR Turbo

This car is cute, but it has mechanical gremlins. Run away!

As others have stated, the battery on my 2013 Veloster Turbo has died on me at least ten times, for no reason, usually after not having been driven for a day or two. Not a month, a day or two. The dealer says "there's nothing wrong!". I'm sick of getting stranded and having to jump start this car. I've read thread after thread of people who have had the exact same problem. When is Hyundai going to acknowledge that this is an ongoing problem with their car???