iiNet TG789

peter.mulhamSydney Surrounds, NSW

Very Reliable modem

Number of Connected Devices 10 devices
Customer ServiceiiNet

Cheers Peter! thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts and we're happy to hear that the connection is working well for you.

- Leo

7krronald

7krronaldGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

great modem

very happy with this modem for my nbn it is very reliable and quick easy to setup wifi is very quick also on it can enter modem and change passwords and name of wifi and your own wifi password

Purchased in July 2015 at iinet.

Number of Connected Devices 6 devices
ISPiiNet NBN 50

moving onPerth, WA

Ok within a small flat - useless around a house

Purchased in December 2017.

Number of Connected Devices 3 devices
ISPiiNet NBN 12

Bosjul

BosjulNew South Wales, 2650

Bringing The Internet Intoo My Home

I have an ADSL2 MODEM HOOKED UP THROUGH MMY Lannddline phone Curtiss of Telstra as the NBN has not yet arrived over my side of town.
Tremendous piece of equipment working through my Smart TV, my telstraTV Box and my new Apple PRO 12/09inches and 64 GBs to start off with. Not to mention WiFi connection
Had the odd difficulty but Telstra technition has been suburb and only needed to come once to correct a fault which was in my phone and not the modem2
Opened up a new world of entertainment
Any drop outs I am now able to correct myself by rebooting the system.(not bad technology fo a senior citizen to handle)

Date PurchasedAug 2014

Garbage

Was bundled free from iiNet. Performs terrible with wifi. Constant drop outs slow speeds, buffering with Netflix etc. The modem is within 10 feet on the tv. Found this item to be of terrible performance and have just finished throwing it in the bin. I would not recommend this modem to ANYONE!

Date PurchasedNov 2018

Saywot

Saywot

Absolute junk

I've only owned this for a week and without doubt it is the worst modem/router I have ever owned.
I have been completely unable to establish a stable wi-fi connection, I am plagued by dropouts on a daily basis, it requires constant power cycling which takes an age ( maybe 10 minutes) and there's no manufacturer's support.
I'm ready to throw this trash into the bin or give it to someone I despise but I don't hate anybody enough to inflict this much trouble and frustration on them.
My ISP should be ashamed to be supplying this box of inadequacy to customers.

Date PurchasedNov 2018

Ali

Aliadelaide

reliable modem and easy to config

I should say it is one of the mid range modem in Australia. good user interface but not advanced and very easy to config your NBN Provider. low price and good WiFi range in small house, suit for one story! at overall it is good and cheap modem for home use.

Date PurchasedOct 2018
brissmith

brissmithSouth East Queensland, QLD

Delivers faster speed than my asus dsl ac68

Having this unit on ADSL2 before HFC connection I have found the Wifi to be as good as the Asus modem router. And both download and upload speeds are on average 30% faster!! Point off though for configuration being locked down by supplier. So doesn't show some functions.This unit can assign static IP addresses.

Date PurchasedOct 2018
Portia

Portia

No internet

Just moved houses and have tried to get internet in the house for over a month now and have called optus about it and nothing has be done. I don't know what's wrong whether its the modem or just the company I'm with but I'm not satisfied with either because still i have no internet.

Date PurchasedAug 2018

reviewer

reviewerNewcastle

Good

Fast enough. Holds multiple connections. Isp edition is easy to set up. Had a lot of issues with dropouts with this modem on internode. Was supposedly fixed by a firmware update. I would strongly suggest that you make sure the firmware issues have been resolved before buying one of these though.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Even free this modem is not worth it

Four weeks ago I replaced my ever faithful ASD2890AL because I now need a VoIP modem. I don't think a day has passed that the WiFi has not dropped out (and often). The sync with the ISP is OK and has been up for over 2 weeks, but it just can't handle the WiFi. There are 11 devices connected, but even when I work from home with 1 active device I get dropouts and it will take 10-20 minutes to get a stable connection again. Glad I didn't pay for it. I am off to get a proper modem.

Date PurchasedJun 2018

rod_speed_aaa

rod_speed_aaa

Perfect

Has worked perfectly for 18 months now and has much better wifi than the Billion 7800NXL it replaced. I used to have to use a wifi repeater half way down the backyard of my back neighbour who I share my broadband with but don't need that anymore with the TG789. LIttle slower to reboot than some modem/routers but not slow enough to matter.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Andrew e

Andrew ePerth

Modem nbn

This modem I bought through iinet for my nbn set up haven’t had it long but seems to be alright. We can have 7 devices hooked up at once and seems to hold up alright. Light weight and keeps itself cool, use it standing on its side or laying flat whatever you prefer

Date PurchasedApr 2018

BazzleVic

Works perfectly so far

Router came with My Republic Cable NBN
Easy to set up and use
I have 43 connection in my house
About 15 on the Lan network, approx 28 wireless depending on what's turned on or in range.
Most wireless connections are Sonos type switches and Harmony hub controlled hi fi etc
I mounted the white coloured Router 1/3rd the way up the wall where the cable connection comes in
Found it gave better coverage off the floor or desk
Spaced it off wall about 10 mm to aid air circulation
I have 2 lan wired switches to aid with lan distribution

Date PurchasedNov 2017
Ricardo61

Ricardo61perth

Good modem provided by ISP

I got this modem from my NBN ISP. In general works fine although the dual wireless signal is not very powerful to cover all my house. My previous D-Link modem-router used to do that, so now I need to buy an additional device to cover my whole house...
Easy to install and setup. I get normally very good download speeds trough my ISP and this modem hadle it well.
Overall it was for free and does the job.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

Dbusybee

DbusybeeBrisbane QLD

Good modem, basic only wireless router - overheats in sub-tropics no aircon

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Maxmeister747

Maxmeister747Sydney, NSW

Pretty good

Pretty good considering it was provided by ISP. I have had no problems so far and it is very easy to set up. Easy to use and it works on wireless but I do not know about wired connections for I have not tried it. Overall a good modem with good service

Date PurchasedMay 2018

stormieau

stormieauBanora Point

Good modem, provided by ISP

This modem was provided to me as part of my plan with my ISP. I've used both wireless and wired connections, and used it with both ADSL 2+ and NBN (FTTN) - and it hasn't missed a beat. I find that it doesn't really reach up to the very end of my (long) house, but I don't use wireless there anyway. All good!

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Very poor

This was given to me by my ISP for free, provided I agreed to a further 2 year sign up. I was told it was an excellent modem by my ISP and this was the only reason I upgraded. My previous modem was a Netgear with 2.4 and 5ghz options. It was a very good modem. This TG789 is slow, unreliable, drops out if others are using devices at the same time. I am extremely disappointed with this modem.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

tazma1

tazma1asked

what extender for the family room can i add to this modem

moving on

As you have no doubt discovered, the WiFi range of the TG789 supplied by iiNet to its NBN customers is woefully inadequate. They also publish a great long list of other modems and routers that they supply to customers, but you are unlikely to be able to persuade them to substitute any of the others.
And if you don't accept the "free" modem they gave you in the first place, they'll tell you to go buy something you fancy, at your expense, instead.
I did - and they can't get that to work, either.
I had no luck with extenders - no matter where I located it, it made no difference. I returned it to the store, and bought - on iiNet's advice! (they told me "any VOiP/VDSL modem will do") - the TP-Link Archer VR600. In line with the rest of their performance, iiNet has been unable to assist me in connecting that to their NBN system instead of their TG789.
So while I did meet two of their other customers, who had the same problem and had better luck connecting their Archer VR600 than I've had, I'm afraid I've given up. I can't even help myself, so I can't offer any help to you either, tazma1
I'm now working through all my contacts & transferring everything off my iiNet account, onto gmail, so that I can scout around for a different telco and dump iiNet

Hi Tazma,

Typically any extender should be viable when positioned near to the modem so as to re-broadcast the signal. However, if you're having wireless stability and strength issues where it should be working normally it would first be worth looking into optimising your local setup and configuration to help ensure that everything is working as it should be. We've got some helpful advice on our help site that might help improve your signal performance: https://iihelp.iinet.net.au/improving_wifi_signal_and_changing_channels

- Tal

David
David

I have the TG789 as provided by iinet and I find it to have very adequate range extending to the whole yard as well as everywhere in the house. I did have to change channels at the outset because a neighbour had the same default channel and that really restricts performance (I can "see" upwards of 8 other wifis in the area) and you need to be careful about other wifi products (A/V extenders and the like) around but I'm very happy with this unit.

Marion

Marionasked

I have this modem and had it replaced twice because internet light goes off after about two hours and to get it on again I have to turn modem off and restart and now it’s happening to this one.Strange thing is I still have internet even when lights off. Does anyone else have this problem? Please check to see if your internet light is off but still have internet.Cant get any satisfaction from my provider.

Mel G
Mel G

Hi Marion,

We signed up with iinet (NBN FTTP) and the exact same thing happens with the internet light on our modem.

It at times is on and then when it want's it turns off (no colour/light at all) yet we are still able to surf the net and wifi still works.

I too am curious as to if this is right or just an issue? Glad to have read your message knowing it was happening to others too.

Let me know if anything changes with yours?
Mel

Get an answer from our members and iiNet representatives

CategoryModems
Frequency BandDual-Band (2.4GHz, 5.0GHz)
FeaturesBuilt-In Malware / Anti-Virus Protection