ING

ING

Good interest rate, crap customer service

Been banking with ING for 3+ years with an every day account and a savings maximises account.
They provide a good interest rate (if you meet their requirements), but very poor customer service.
I've had several exchanges with the customer service department where I was left very disappointed and wanted to leave the bank.

For example, when they changed the requirements to receive the full interest rates, I sent an email asking for clarification, I got a response, and thought I met the conditions to receive the full interest rates. However It was not adequately explained and as a result I had two months in a row of not receiving the full interest rate.
When I asked about it, I got a 'too bad so sad' response.
That was very dissaponting....

Review TypeGeneral Transactions

We were rejected for a personal loan even though we met the criteria

We have a savings and an everyday account with ING and applied for a personal loan to help us with a granny flat we were building. After they rejected my partner (they do not offer joint loans) because she is a casual worker I then applied. I am a full time worker who meets the thresh-hold earning cap they set to apply for loans, I gave them all relevant information and yet I was still denied the loan WITHOUT EXPLANATION!!! I am now unable to apply for a loan for another 6 months and am forced to reverse the payment I already put down for the granny flat. ING crushed our dream of finally getting our own space. We are young and my partner is a full time Uni student and now we will probably have to wait another 3 years for her to graduate before we can get our own space. Very disappointed and disgusted in the service and would NOT reccomend. Stick to the main banks, clearly ING cannot hold their own.

Review TypeLoan Application

Superb product. Better than any big (four) names.

I have been a customer since 2015, and it has been a good experience. I know it can be challenging for some people as they are online based (people usually prefer face-to-face interaction that can be obtained through a branch or centers). However for me it's just makes it easier and faster, and it has been a smooth sailing one for every transactions I have done.
What I love the most is the fact that they have been doing the No-Withdrawal-Fees-for-using-different-ATM hype since day 1 (while the trends seem to only be picked up recently by most of the banks...), competitively high interest rate for the savings, and, yep, they also do the refund of International Transaction Fees! I was overseas last month and you can't believe how thrilled I am to see all of those fees from all of my shopping galore were actually being refunded back. (with a fair exchange rate too)

Review TypeATM Experience, General Transactions and New Account

Staffs gave wrong infos and management team covered it and kept saying they are giving correct infos

I had 2 yrs TD 2.85%, early termination after 15 mths, the guy told me i will get approx $41510 back, but i only got $40880, $630 short, then i called back, another staff told me seemed computer error will send to management term for further investigation. Then i called back next day, they asked their management team to speak to me and kept saying the amount paid me 40880 was correct. Why the guy told me i will get 41510? Manager kept saying approximate said the guy didnt give me wrong info, $630 differ approximate? I dont think so. Dont use ING ever again!

Ridiculous treatment

I have to find a copy of my birth certificate and get it certified by a JP and send it into ING to verify that I am the same person who opened my account with my same birth certificate and a 100 point check 12 years ago. This is what I get for loyalty as a customer. I am 90 years old, and my birth certificate is in a safe 4 hrs drive from me, and I have been given 10 days to do all of this or they will take matters into their own hands and not pay back my money until I verify myself.

Review TypeGeneral Transactions

ING did not refund unused annual fee

After switching our home loan product to a no-annual fee mortgage simplifier with ING, we requested for a refund of the annual fee that we were just charged (in advance) for the previous product. We were told that ING does not refund annual fees that are charged in advance.

poor customer service

they keep u on the phone,,, on hold,,,only to frustrate customer to the point of giving up....only use this bank if youre prepared to deal with unprofessional customer service reps

Review TypeBusiness Banking

Misogynist customer service.

I have been with this bank for 12 years and were generally happy with their service. I got a home loan through them which was a total debacle, they claimed I had missed a payment when I hadn’t and that took ages and effort to clear up. My biggest issue is that even though the loan is in my name and attached to my account and I am the one who makes all the payments 100% from my own wage they choose to only deal with my (male) partner. When I required copies of documents about my accounts they addressed them to my partner and did not even send them to my address (the address of my home on the home loan) they sent them to his parents for some reason! I’m on the lookout for a new bank because clearly my money and business is inferior and undesired because I am a woman.

Fantastic

Just moved to ING and loving it so far.
I love their app - very easy to use. My experience with their call centre was great on the one occasion I’ve had to call so far.
Overall, I great experience and very easy to switch over.

Changing details on loan

Approached our lender to borrow a small amount on to our existing loan, adding a name to the loan and deed. Thought we could cut out a broker and go directly to our provider. What an absolute joke ING have been. Almost 6 weeks later we still do not have the money or our application finalised. Constantly being told from ING we need to complete various documents, complete them to be told ING forgot to send us another form. Finally receive paperwork from the solicitor ING use, sign that and send it back express at our cost. Then called today from ING's solicitor to be told that we have to attend a solicitor and have them draw up another document. During that conversation with the lawyer I am asked so what did you ask ING to do. Attempt to call ING, only to go to the call centre. You never get to speak to the team who process the loan.
We now have a bill from ING's solicitor who drew up papers not knowing what we wanted and our small variation to our loan is not finalised!!!

Contemptuous customer service.

I was notified by text message that ING had cancelled my card. They refused to provide further detail. I suspect it was related to a recent online purchase as I rarely buy products online so they may have flagged the transaction as suspicious. I had to drive to an ATM where they lifted the cancellation long enough for me to withdraw some cash. I had to call them 3 times that day. I received a new card with instructions to "activate" it online with the advice that "it only takes a moment" I was unable to activate the card. I spent another 19 minutes on the phone (during my work hours) to ask them to activate my card so I could access my money. I was told today that my card had been "compromised" and this is why it was cancelled. This perceived "security risk" means that I'm now unable to make any purchases online as I may risk having my card cancelled again. They seem to treat their customers with contempt. Unfortunately I can't change banks until I pay off my mortgage. Appalling customer service. Choose another bank.

Review TypeGeneral Transactions

Money frozen immediately by ING moment it was received

I signed up as a new ING customer after a recommendation I saw in the Barefoot Investor book. The signup process is smooth and easy. They encourage you to also open a Savings Maximizer account together with an Everyday account so I did. I then transferred funds into the new Savings Maximizer account from an external bank and that's when things went badly wrong. ING don't state in their terms and conditions that new accounts may be frozen although they were quite happy to accept the nearly $4000 I transferred to the bank. After noticing the account had been made immediately frozen after the funds were received I then rang the bank and was told that it would be up to 5 days before my funds would be available and the account could be used. This apparently was standard practice. What? I asked for the money to be transferred to another account as I might need it. My request was flatly refused. I then asked to speak to a supervisor who politely told me she'd would contact me later, but never did. I would need to wait for my money to be available in 5 days. I would definitely NOT recommend this bank to anyone.

Best Aussie bank

ING Direct is a great bank, there are no fees for a lot of things other things big banks will charge you for and always a competitive rate on the Savings Maximiser. I could go on but the best and most underrated feature is a 24/7 customer support team based in Australia, you cannot fault their ability to help you and they are fast on the phone and don't waste your time with small talk or taking you through unnecessary lengthy processes - good to know in case something ever goes wrong.

The Donald trump of banks

If they do not like how a dispute is playing out ,, they will just change the facts , I’ve spoken to three people from ing and they all lie with ease ,and when you pull them up tell them that they are directly contradicting them selves they lie some more.
They are incredibly passive aggressive at the complaints department,to the point where I could not argue with them anymore.
They are the Donald trump of banks

Banking made easy

I have been consistently impressed with the ease of usage and benefits of banking with ING.
Recently I was refunded the $2.90 charge for using an ATM and I was very pleased.

Review TypeATM Experience

Downright rude and pushy

Downright rude and pushy. Couldn't explain why deposits could not be made into my loan account when in credit. Told me to open another account from another bank then transfer funds in. Why? Whats the difference?

Review TypeBusiness Banking and General Transactions

Beware of the high interest bonus trap. I am losing the interest bonus because a BPay transaction will not count

They disqualified me because I was one transaction short of using the card to tap on a EPOS machine even though I made over $7,000 in payment and over ten transactions with my account. They never specified that a BPay transaction would not count and in two months I lost over $200 in interest bonus. They are a bank not to be trusted. I will close my account and move to another bank.

Crap customer service

I have been trying to open an account including everyday account, savings maximiser acc and a joint acc with my partner. I have had to call numerous times for help and found them to not be helpful at all and very confusing. They are not clear and don’t give clear instructions on how to help. I feel like they expect you to know how to do everything and feels like they have only been working for ING for a few days.
The only reason I am continuing to get through this is for the damn interest rates on savings acc and other benefits otherwise I wouldn’t bother. Waste of time!

Review TypeNew Account
May i add i have also applied for a credit card and have been waiting for an approval for a few days. I have submitted everything i need but have not received a single call from ING to update me on how its all going. Such a let down on your customer service.

Unhelpful and hard to deal with, broken promises

Joint the bank as promised easy transactions, but they are worst - only via phone (right now on phone for 40 min already, not sure when will be resolved) or long few pages forms which only can be physically printed, all few pages you have to fill in ( over 30 questions), then scan and then mail or email.

While on the phone, the staff clearly trained to blame you in everything - they have terms and conditions, which are making your fault in pretty much everything, and they will keep making up things blaming you.
AVOID! the worst sharks I have ever seen

Rate Rises

ING have been fairly good to us over the period of our home loan but a recent double interest rate rise that was unexpected has dropped my opinion of them. We have been banking with them for over 10 years and I received a letter notifying me that our rate was going up - 2 weeks earlier?? Who does this. Disappointed!

Would ING be a good bank to open a savings account with? I do not want to withdraw money, just save it. I'm trying to choose a different bank than my normal one so I cannot have instant access to it, to avoid temptation.
No, I would definitely go to Westpac and open a Westpac eSaver and go down to the branch then ask them to put a block on it so you can only withdraw at the branch so avoid temptation like I do.No ,most of the time during transactions they have no idea where your money isYes ING is good i have been with them 15 yrs Forget westpac

Does anyone have real life issues with ING on Term Deposits?
Have not used them for term depositsYes - we have a number of term deposits split by bank, amount and timing. Although ING have a secret limit of 9 term deposits per customer. Too bad they don't make this known to you until you try to open the 10th. Their excuse is flimsy - "it's because that's the limit" they say. Wow, now I'm convinced by that logical adult response. Rates are ok-ish and systems are good. Customer service is patchy, as per the above example.Thanks SteveB. That's assuring.

What I would like to know is ing as safe as Austrslians big four banks
Short answer is no, it isn’t. When I have a problem with anyone of the big 4 (I’m with 2 of the 4) there is a branch I can go to and I can speak to a “real” live person. My experience so far with the big 4 has been one of trust, they ring back when they say they will. They respond to queries and complaints. This might not seem like a big deal, but trust me when things go wrong you want an actual person.All banks in Australia are covered by the Federal government savings guarantee up to $250,000. If you have more than that you need to split it up between different banks. I'd be more worried about ING (and others) changing their rules for bonus interest rate and the maximum amount you can have in the account to keep the bonus rate. You need to monitor them all the time to see when they change the rules otherwise you could lose out on hundreds of dollars in interest in the month.

Similar listings