270L, 180L (See All)
See the Best Solar Water Heaters in 2022 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Listing monitored by iStore

Pros

Affordable to run
Environmentally friendly
Government rebates available

4.9

Nick
NickHobart, TAS

3 months after installation very happy

I thought I would wait 3 months to write a review to see how the unit performed in Tasmania's winter. I must say couldn't be happier with it. Combined power usage with heat pump on and the istore cylinder on heating after running a bath was only using 384 watts at night with an outside temp of 4 degrees.
I would recommend this unit, in fact have converted some friends already.
Not sure why anyone would install a traditional hot water system these days and not one of these istore units.

iStoreiStoreSend a private message

Hi Nick, thank you for the wonderful review! It's great to hear how pleased you have been with the iStore unit and thank you for recommending it to your friends. Kind regards, iStore.

Paul
PaulPerth, WA

Great system

Had the 270L system installed last week to replace an older heatpump that had died after 12 years service. Worked as advertised straight out of the box. Hot water was available after about an hour. The only thing missing is a wifi connection and an app to manage it without going outside.

Purchased in for $4,500.

iStoreiStoreSend a private message

Hi Paul. Thank you for taking the time to leave us your review. Glad to hear you're enjoying your fast hot water. Kind regards, iStore.

ManuelGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Average HWS

Istore 270l lifespan lasted two years and 7 months. I never had a a hws which last so little time. Suddenly the electrical component of the screen died and guess what,the electrical component warranty last only two years. very disappointed. Luckily, one of the customer service organised a tech to come over and fix it for no charge. The unit is working again. Hopefully, This electric component will last longer than the original one.

Purchased in at Solargain for $2,500.

All the razzamatazz!!

Very happy with my iStore purchase. Quiet, efficient, and I have saved a lot on my last few bills. When I called with a query a while back i spoke to a guy named Simon (I think) and was very impressed with how quickly he sorted my issue. The guy knows his stuff and has a great phone manner. Sounds a bit cute on the phone as well. A+++

iStoreiStoreSend a private message

Hi Lisa. Great to hear you had a positive experience with Simon and the rest of our team. Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. Kind regards, iStore.

sharonp53Glass House Mountains

I love it!!!

We have a constant flow of hot water and it is comforting to know we are producing far less carbon than a standard electric heater. 100% recommended after 3 years.

iStoreiStoreSend a private message

Hi Sharon. Thank you very much for the recommendation! Great to hear you've had such a great experience with your system. Kind regards, iStore.

Mark
MarkMid West, WA

Fantastic

Quiet, extremely efficient, continuous supply of hot water which never fluctuates.
So far 1 hard winter and the unit operated as expected with SLIGHTLY extended run time.
I was extremely pleased with the recent online support I received following a spare part (anode) enquiry.

Ryan G.
Ryan G.Perth, WA

I've got 2

After having old systems fail on rental properties, we replaced them with iStores. Have been great, no complaints from tenants, plus we are giving them high energy efficiency. Highly recommended.

iStoreiStoreSend a private message

Hi Ryan. Great to hear you're enjoying your iStore systems! Thank you very much for your recommendation. Kind regards, iStore.

Clara V.
Make staying at home more enjoyable with these products and tips

make-staying-at-home-more-enjoyable-with-these-products-and-tips
Best Household Appliances Awards 2022!

Home is where the heart is. And with these reliable, Award-winning household appliances, home can be where the rest of the body and mind take comfort, too. Based on consumer reviews over the last year, we've picked the best household appliances to buy in 2022, from air purifiers to steam mops.

Avleen M.
Avleen M.
best-household-appliances-awards-2022

Works well after some adjustments

The system is efficient but did not provide as good an outcome as my old gas system until customer service helped me to make a couple of adjustments that improved both water temperature and water pressure. It is now very good.
I have been using this for 3 months now. It looks good and has a good management screen and is run primarily from our Solar PV system. Even prior to installing the solar it was very cost effective.

I think this type of water heating is the way to go for the future.

Purchased in for $2,500.

iStoreiStoreSend a private message

Dear Craig. We appreciate you taking the time to review us and are happy to know that your overall experience was a good one. Kind regards, iStore.

heating my water for (almost) free

It's early days, but it's so satisfying to see all my hot water powered by solar. With my Feed-in tariff down to 4c/kWh after the first 5kWh, I reckon the hot water (including teenagers' showers!) is costing me about 10c a day. The timer's set so the water heats between 8am and 6pm - I might narrow the period a bit in the winter. I end up importing a little electricity on very cloudy days, but there's no shortage of hot water.

• Functionality
iStoreiStoreSend a private message

Hi Mike. Great to hear your families having a great time with the new solar hot water, and that you're already seeing the savings. If you ever need any assistance with your system, we're always happy to help. Kind regards, iStore.

Amazing Product

Istore unit is very energy efficient, works perfectly.
Customer support after purchase was very prompt
Highly recommend if you need to replace a hot water unit.
Quiet, and efficient
Takes about 4 hours to heat a tank from cold with 500w/hour only

iStoreiStoreSend a private message

Hi Will. Thanks for the recommendation, thanks for taking the time to leave us your review, we really appreciate it. Kind regards, iStore.

Tim
TimGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Efficient and effective!

This hot water system is able to handle our family of 4 running on solar during the day, along with an hour or so at night. When the family reduced to 3 people, we can run it on solar only during the day. It’s pretty quiet too, but not ideal outside a bedroom window.

Purchased in for $2,800.

iStoreiStoreSend a private message

Hi Tim. Great to hear the iStore system is able to keep up with your family's demand. Thanks for taking the time to leave us your review. Kind regards, iStore.

Gracie
GraciePerth, WA

Great Product with Great Service

Through the help of Roy we were able to learn about all the different ways to go about a hot water system. He was very informative and gave us great advise and we were able then to find the right solution for us. Great service and installation process. Very easy. Would definitely recommend

iStoreiStoreSend a private message

Hi Gracie. It's great to hear that you had a good experience with Roy and the whole process. Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us your review, we really appreciate it. Kind regards, iStore.

Lone J.
Lone J.

Brilliant invention

Great invention. Working perfectly. I got the Istore ‘at a great price’, Shirley organised delivery quote, an affordable plumber, the government rebate of $1080 and processing the forms. Very happy.

iStoreiStoreSend a private message

Hi Lone. We're very pleased to hear how much you like the iStore, and how well it's working for your home. Thanks for taking the time to leave us your review. Kind regards, iStore.

Phil
PhilQueensland

New Heat Pump System

We recently needed to replace our old heat pump system as it had failed
It was nearly 20 years old
Researched what was available and the I Store system came out on top.
Talked to Shirley from I Store and found her to be very helpful and informative
We went with the 270 litre model.
Very quiet unit and is very efficient
Phil

• Functionality
iStoreiStoreSend a private message

Hi Phil. Glad to hear your experience with Shirley was positive, and that you're already enjoying your new hot water system. If you ever need any assistance you can always reach out to us. Kind regards, iStore.

Jaytee
JayteeHarrison 2914, ACT

Great controls and very efficient unit!

Purchased in at Solargain for $3,000.

Frequently Asked Questions about iStore Air to Energy

What is an iStore?####

iStore Air to Energy systems utilise the latest compressor technology to naturally extract heat energy from the air and store it in the form of hot water for later use. Designed in Australia for Australian conditions, the iStore is one of the most cost-effective dual-purpose storage solutions available.

How does the iStore work?####

The iStore utilises refrigeration technology which is an incredibly efficient form of producing heating capacity since the first refrigerant gas was developed way back in 1928. The process is very similar to pumping up a bicycle tyre with a hand held pump; the more compression and pressure when using a bicycle tyre pump, the hotter the pump gets. This is essentially the same process as the iStore’s Hitachi compressor in action creating heat from compression and transferring the thermal energy around the tank to heat the water inside the fully insulated cylinder.

Why choose an iStore?####

For Australian households and businesses, the heating of hot water is the largest contributor of greenhouse gas emissions and energy costs. The iStore runs at an incredible 400% efficiency, and when synced with Solar Roof Solar Power, the hot water heating costs can be as low as 11 cents per day.

Will the iStore ever run out of hot water?####

No Fully customisable, the iStore incorporates 4 modes to suit every hot water application. From small households to large hot water demands, one iStore can produce over 2,500 litres of hot water in a 24 hour period.

Will the iStore ever run out of hot water?####

No Fully customisable, the iStore incorporates 4 modes to suit every hot water application. From small households to large hot water demands, one iStore can produce over 2,500 litres of hot water in a 24hr period.

Will my system work in overcast conditions?####

Of course the iStore is not reliant on the sun shining. Extracting energy from the surrounding air, the iStore will provide reliable hot water day and night, all year round.

Is the iStore technology safe?####

Compared to conventional gas and electric resistive hot water systems, the iStore surpasses the latest Australian Standards for safety. With an incredibly low power draw when in operation (less than a household kettle), the iStore seamlessly integrates with existing electrical infrastructure in any Australian home or business.

How noisy is the compressor?####

The team behind iStore invested over 10,000 man hours ensuring the compressor would be as quiet as possible, without sacrificing efficiency. The iStore has been independently tested to 46.6dB at 1m. It’s an amazing achievement and we’re proud to say we have one of the quietest systems available on the market.

Will my system be covered by home building insurance?####

Of course checking with your insurance company is the first port of call. iStore recommends that your insurance company is notified and listed on your policy. We also suggest to check whether you have fusion protection in case of power surges.

How much money can I save?####

By installing an iStore, you can save up to $1500 per year.

How much pollution can I save?####

Installing an iStore is the equivalent of removing 4 tonnes worth of CO2 every year!

How long before my system pays itself back?####

The best return on investment can be under 2 years when factoring in the replacement / purchase cost of a traditional hot water system.

Are government incentives and rebates still available?####

Yes. Depending on your residing state in Australia, customers replacing existing traditional hot water systems may be eligible for $800 to $3000 off their system cost!

Does the iStore need to be installed on the ground?####

The most common installation location is on the ground, located outside the home. Custom solutions for tight / elevated areas can be designed, however please contact an iStore specialist to discuss your needs.

How much space will the iStore take up?####

The 270L all-in-one iStore will require approximately 0.7m in width x 2.1m height.

Can the iStore be installed indoors?####

Yes - the iStore can in fact be installed indoors as the refrigerant used is non-flammable and safe to be installed indoors. Provision for adequate fresh air to unit location shall be provided. Contact iStore to discuss your site-specific needs.

Will I be without hot water for long during installation?####

Typically, an installation of the iStore will take between 2-3 hours to complete. In almost all installation scenarios you will have hot water again the same evening of installation.

Can I replace an existing gas or electric hot water system?####

Yes - the iStore is an ideal replacement for existing gas or electric hot water systems. In fact, installing an iStore when replacing existing hot water systems takes about the same time as installing a traditional gas or electric hot water system.

Is my iStore easy to maintain?####

Yes - the iStore is very easy to maintain. After your iStore is installed and commissioned, maintenance required is very minimal.

How often should I have it serviced?####

iStore recommends that a 5 year service be conducted to ensure the system is working at maximum efficiency.

Latest Consumer Questions

Colin Peckhamasked
Air to Energy 270L

Can this unit be located outside the house.
Will it work in a sub tropical region such as Ballina NSW and do you have any references for this region.
I have a 4kw Solar Panels on my roof, so would I need a battery system as well.

Manuel

I m located in Melbourne and the unit works outside . I recommend to ask your Sparky to install a surge protector device on your switchboard. My unit died after 2 and half year for over power surge. Lucky istore organised a warranty call.

Colin Peckham

Thanks so much. My main issue is that I may not have enough space on the side of my house...

Barry
Barryasked
Air to Energy

Will the iStore function to its full potential in an area that has temperatures that get below zero quite often in winter.

Andrew T.
Andrew T.asked
Air to Energy 180L

I have left several "Get a quote" messages on your website and never got a reply. Are you guys still in business?

See all iStore Air to Energy questions

Get an answer from our members and iStore representatives

About iStore Air to Energy

The iStore Air to Energy solar hot water system offers an alternative to electric or gas energy. Its air-to-energy technology creates heat from compression, which is both energy efficient and economical.

iStore makes two exciting estimates: firstly, that you’ll save $950 a year compared to paying for a gas or electric hot water storage system; and secondly, that prolonged usage can reduce carbon emissions by up to 4 tonnes.

Features

• This is an energy efficient option, as the iStore Air to Energy system only draws 1kW of power to run, and 500kW per hour during its air-to-energy heating process.
  • Compatible with a PV solar power system, if you have the panels on your roof. iStore estimates that when used with solar power, energy costs can be as little as 11 cents daily.
  • Two in-built timers allow you customisation options to program the system for off-peak heating to save money.
  • 4 intelligent operating modes allow for adaptability, including a hybrid mode to accommodate extra household members when you have guests, and a vacation mode.

Points of praise

• The iStore team provide exceptional customer service, along with well-informed advice about installation, and follow through
  • Hot water never runs out , even with 5 person household.
  • The cost of energy bills dropped in when an iStore system was swapped out with an old gas hot water storage system. This was especially the case when the iStore was couple with a solar PV system, which resulted in further energy savings.
  • System temperature remained consistently high, providing comfortingly hot water that didn’t run out or become colder over time.

ProductReview_2022 Awards_logo

The iStore Air to Energy heater is a hot performer. It takes home a ProductReview Award for Best Solar Water Heater in 2022 for the second year running. It's not hard to see why - all reviews are either 4 or 5 stars. Top points were awarded to iStore's outstanding heating speed and temperature consistency.

Compare both iStore Air to Energy