iStore Air to Energy

iStore Air to Energy

270L, 180L

Pros

• Cheaper to run than electric or gas storage systems

• Environmentally friendly hot water heating

• Government rebates are available

4.9

• Temperature Consistency
  • Heating Speed
Sean

SeanGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Good value/return on investment

Purchased in December 2019 at Solargain.

iStoreiStore

Hi Sean. Thank you very much for this comprehensive review, and for recommending us to your friends. Great to hear you're enjoying your iStore. Kind regards, iStore.

Taylah

TaylahPerth, WA

Didn't know what hot water was till i got a iStore!

I recently purchase the iStore after reading all the fantastic reviews online, and i'm so glad i did! The product is amazing and i didn't realise how bad my previous hot water system was till i brought the iStore. The install and ordering was super quick and easy. I will be recommending this product to all my friends and family.

Purchased in February 2021.

swangler75

swangler75Perth, WA

Great so far

I have had an istore 270l installed for several months now, and I am quite happy with it. It works in well with the new Solar Panels I had installed on the roof. I set it up to turn on when the Solar Panels are at their most efficient during the day, and unless I use an unusual amount of hot water over night, Its still nice and hot in the morning. Even without Solar, they are very efficient.

Purchased in October 2020 at Solargain for $3,190.00.

iStoreiStore

Hi. Great to hear you're having a good experience so far with your iStore! Thanks for taking the time to leave us your feedback, we love hearing from our happy customers. Kind regards, iStore.

Donna Watson

Donna WatsonPerth, WA

Unreal Service Installer was Fantastic

I contacted John from Mundys Plumbing & Gas in relation to a new heat pump being installed, John was onsite that day running through different options. I opted for the I Store 270 Litre which he highly recommended and this unit has not let me down. My savings compared to my old gas system are unbelievable. Great product and great service. Will be recommending to all our friends.

Household Size4 person(s)
iStoreiStore

Hi Donna. It's great to hear how much you've been saving with your iStore! Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us this review and your recommendation. Kind regards, IStore.

MPV

MPVSydney, NSW

Great Unit - delivers all we need efficiently

We replaced our gas heater with an iStore and couldn’t be happier . We never run out of hot water with 5 adults . It’s quiet and extremely efficient. Coupled with our solar PV system we have free hot water for life .

Purchased in June 2020 for $3,250.00.

iStoreiStore

Hi. We're glad to hear you're seeing such a great result from your new iStore system. Welcome to the best in hot water! Kind regards, iStore.

Milan

MilanSydney, NSW

Perfect system I can’t believe the performance well done

Beautiful system look and performersFrom the time when we install wasn’t even one and a half hour and the system temperature from 17° to 60° that is really really good I can’t believe the system is performing that much well done

Purchased in October 2020 for $100.00.

R Campbell

R CampbellPeel, WA

Interesting change from the old solar panel hot water system

Decided to try this air to energy system and just had it installed. Bill from I Store and the team of plumbers and electricians were fantastic in helping with a small minor teething problem. I will be interested to see its performance over the coming months. also thanks to sale agents I Breeze Mandurah (Jason) for his help when purchasing the item.
Russ Campbell Falcon WA

Purchased in October 2020 for $2,100.00.

iStoreiStore

Hi Russ. We can't wait for you to start enjoying the benefits of the iStore. Glad to hear you had a good experience with Bill and the rest of the team. Kind regards, iStore.

Tom

TomGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Works great!

The Hot water rebate in VIC was a pain of a process to go through. But it was worth it in the end.

The iStore 180L works great. We only have a little house so this size should be perfect for us. (Only got installed the other day) One more appliance off the gas and onto the solar. Just the cook-top to go now.

Thanks Will from Solargain for organizing the installation. Sorry about my crappy, full, internal switchboard, but Dylan didn't give up, and got the job done like a champion.

It's actually quieter than I thought it would be as well. And even though it is overcast and rainy today, my 6kW solar system is generating more then enough to cover the 500W the iStore needs.

Very happy.

Purchased in August 2020 at Solargain.

Luke Beattie

Luke BeattiePerth, WA

Reliable Hot Water and Great Service

Our old hot water system died on a weekend and we contacted iStore to install one of their units. The installer they put us in contact with installed a temporary hot water unit first thing on the Monday morning. The team then came on Wednesday and installed our iStore. They were polite and efficient and we're very happy with the outcome. The iStore and the service are excellent.

Purchased in July 2020.

Excellent Customer Service From Simon

I got home last night to no hot water. I called Simon who took me through the steps of getting my hws working again. Simon was extremely patient and knowledgeable. It was not an easy task to walk me through the troubleshooting ( I am a bit challenged in that area, being a single mom), but he was so willing to repeat himself again and again. This was at 6.30pm which is after hours for most people. Simon is a dedicated worker who he took time out of his evening with his family to get make sure my family had hot water. I was very extremely impressed and grateful having hot water especially in this weather. Thank you very much Simon!

Purchased in June 2019.

Mel

MelSouth East Queensland, QLD

Smart looking system, well put together, keeps up with my family of 5!

Our old tank was a 300L, upgraded to this smaller heat pump which was at a fair price point. Wasn't sure the size would be enough but so far has been great. Its winter now and were getting around 40min straight of shower time before the heat drops off which is about 5 showers in a row for us. Runs pretty quiet too, haven't needed to put it on high performance yet, but nice to know we can boost the heating speed on the control panel when we have visitors.
Going off the time it runs for every day it should only cost us about $300 a year in power.
Giving it 5 stars, good product.

Purchased in May 2020 for $2,200.00.

iStoreiStore

Hi Mel. It's great to hear that you're loving your iStore! Even better that it's keeping up with the whole families needs. Nothing makes us happier than hearing from happy customers. Kind regards, iStore.

Alice H.

Alice H.Northeast, VIC

Highly recommend the iStore!

I would happily recommend the iStore to anyone. We recently got solar for our house so made the change from our gas hot water system to the electric iStore and it's been fantastic. The installer set up the iStore so it heats up during the day to run off the solar power, this has resulted in our bills being reduced dramatically. Thank you to the team at Solargain for making the process so simple.

Purchased at Solargain.

iStoreiStore

Hi Alice, thank you very much for your review! It's great to hear how pleased you have been with the iStore and that your bills have decreased dramatically.
Kind regards, iStore.

Great System and Customer Service I would highly recommend

Our iStore unit hasn't missed a beat, even during high demand and frosty cold morning as low as -5 degrees it has provided all of our hot water needs. Best of all our energy bills have dropped! The iStore runs during the day when the solar power system is generating electricity from the sun.

Purchased in April 2019.

iStoreiStore

Hi Nicole, thank you very much for the review and we're happy to hear you're enjoying the benefits of your iStore unit! Kind regards, iStore.

First Class old fashioned service!

Our households hot water produced now is for free due to unit controls and our solar system. We had a problem caused by myself mucking around with the control and after I spoke to my plumber who put me onto the guy running iStore I think Simon was his name. The service was second to none. Honestly the iStore team is run by people who know their trade and are not afraid to get their hands dirty! Its one thing to buy a new product your not sure about but to know the back up service is what it is I would have bought one straight away rather than looking around at other systems.

Purchased in September 2019.

iStoreiStore

Hi Peter, thank you very much for the wonderful review and feedback! We will be sure to share it with team. Please let us know if there's anything else we can assist with. Kind regards, iStore.

Don

DonPerth, WA

Great system & even better savings

Replaced my old gas storage hot water system few months ago. Our gas bill has dropped heaps while the iStore is heating water from our solar power during the day.

Great looking unit too, would recommend iStore to anyone who's looking for the latest hot water system unit.

Purchased in September 2019 for $2,899.00.

iStoreiStore

Hi Don, thank you for taking the time to leave a review! We're very happy to hear this feedback and that you're enjoying the benefits of your iStore. Kind regards, iStore.

HOT Water

Water hot immediately with no wait time. Very impressed and should be some decent savings with improved efficiency! Arranged and installed promptly. Great customer service. Would highly recommend this system and John from Plumb it Right. Tha...

Purchased in October 2019.

Household Size2 person(s)
Functionality
Temperature Consistency
Heating Speed
iStoreiStore

Hi Fiona, thank you very much for your review! We really appreciate the great feedback. Kind regards, iStore.

Starman

StarmanPerth, WA

Solargain iStore Heat Pump

Purchased in December 2018 for $3,600.00.

iStoreiStore

Hi Starman, thank you very much for your great review and rating! We're so happy to hear how pleased you are with your system and that we could assist with your screen. Kind regards, iStore.

JackordJack

JackordJackPerth, WA

Could not believe how good this is

HOT Water at last, constant hot water!
Replaced an old DUX, which was hopeless from the get go.
Nervous about going heat pump again, BUT very impressed with the iSTORE.
It takes next to no time to heat up, timer clock allows it to be programmed for when the PV is working.
We are frankly blown away by this unit.

Purchased in July 2019 for $3,000.00.

Derek

DerekPerth, WA

I store - what a difference !

Had to replace our old storage HWU and decided to go with the I store after taking some sound advice from our plumber. We have PV panels so the running costs are going to be next to nothing. The unit heats up to temperature in no time even in eco mode and the capacity is more than enough for 5. Only thing is getting kids out of the shower as we’ve never run out of hot water since install !

Purchased in June 2019.

Deb

DebPerth, WA

Hot Water for the Future

We had the iStore installed October 2018 after we had enough of our gas storage water heater. We already had solar panels and after talking to experts decided that the iStore was for us and we haven’t been disappointed. We always have plenty of hot water while our power bills decreased. It is very quiet when running so is not intrusive to the household or our neighbours. The timer allows the water to be heated during the time the solar panels are producing electricity. There is even a holiday mode so it is simple to save on running costs while away from home.

Purchased in October 2018 at Solargain.

Frequently Asked Questions about iStore Air to Energy

What is an iStore?

iStore Air to Energy systems utilise the latest compressor technology to naturally extract heat energy from the air and store it in the form of hot water for later use. Designed in Australia for Australian conditions, the iStore is one of the most cost-effective dual-purpose storage solutions available.

How does the iStore work?

The iStore utilises refrigeration technology which is an incredibly efficient form of producing heating capacity since the first refrigerant gas was developed way back in 1928. The process is very similar to pumping up a bicycle tyre with a hand held pump; the more compression and pressure when using a bicycle tyre pump, the hotter the pump gets. This is essentially the same process as the iStore’s Hitachi compressor in action creating heat from compression and transferring the thermal energy around the tank to heat the water inside the fully insulated cylinder.

Why choose an iStore?

For Australian households and businesses, the heating of hot water is the largest contributor of greenhouse gas emissions and energy costs. The iStore runs at an incredible 400% efficiency, and when synced with Solar Roof Solar Power, the hot water heating costs can be as low as 11 cents per day.

Will the iStore ever run out of hot water?

No Fully customisable, the iStore incorporates 4 modes to suit every hot water application. From small households to large hot water demands, one iStore can produce over 2,500 litres of hot water in a 24 hour period.

Will the iStore ever run out of hot water?

No Fully customisable, the iStore incorporates 4 modes to suit every hot water application. From small households to large hot water demands, one iStore can produce over 2,500 litres of hot water in a 24hr period.

Will my system work in overcast conditions?

Of course the iStore is not reliant on the sun shining. Extracting energy from the surrounding air, the iStore will provide reliable hot water day and night, all year round.

Is the iStore technology safe?

Compared to conventional gas and electric resistive hot water systems, the iStore surpasses the latest Australian Standards for safety. With an incredibly low power draw when in operation (less than a household kettle), the iStore seamlessly integrates with existing electrical infrastructure in any Australian home or business.

How noisy is the compressor?

The team behind iStore invested over 10,000 man hours ensuring the compressor would be as quiet as possible, without sacrificing efficiency. The iStore has been independently tested to 46.6dB at 1m. It’s an amazing achievement and we’re proud to say we have one of the quietest systems available on the market.

Will my system be covered by home building insurance?

Of course checking with your insurance company is the first port of call. iStore recommends that your insurance company is notified and listed on your policy. We also suggest to check whether you have fusion protection in case of power surges.

How much money can I save?

By installing an iStore, you can save up to $1500 per year.

How much pollution can I save?

Installing an iStore is the equivalent of removing 4 tonnes worth of CO2 every year!

How long before my system pays itself back?

The best return on investment can be under 2 years when factoring in the replacement / purchase cost of a traditional hot water system.

Are government incentives and rebates still available?

Yes. Depending on your residing state in Australia, customers replacing existing traditional hot water systems may be eligible for $800 to $3000 off their system cost!

Does the iStore need to be installed on the ground?

The most common installation location is on the ground, located outside the home. Custom solutions for tight / elevated areas can be designed, however please contact an iStore specialist to discuss your needs.

How much space will the iStore take up?

The 270L all-in-one iStore will require approximately 0.7m in width x 2.1m height.

Can the iStore be installed indoors?

Yes - the iStore can in fact be installed indoors as the refrigerant used is non-flammable and safe to be installed indoors. Provision for adequate fresh air to unit location shall be provided. Contact iStore to discuss your site-specific needs.

Will I be without hot water for long during installation?

Typically, an installation of the iStore will take between 2-3 hours to complete. In almost all installation scenarios you will have hot water again the same evening of installation.

Can I replace an existing gas or electric hot water system?

Yes - the iStore is an ideal replacement for existing gas or electric hot water systems. In fact, installing an iStore when replacing existing hot water systems takes about the same time as installing a traditional gas or electric hot water system.

Is my iStore easy to maintain?

Yes - the iStore is very easy to maintain. After your iStore is installed and commissioned, maintenance required is very minimal.

How often should I have it serviced?

iStore recommends that a 5 year service be conducted to ensure the system is working at maximum efficiency.

Latest Consumer Questions

Darryl Wickhamasked

Air to Energy

what is the cost of 270 l and 180l and installation with existing 20 solar panels including govt rebate for heat pump

iStoreiStore

Hi Darryl, there are many factors to determine pricing and rebate values, if you can provide us with your location we can have one of our authorised retailers make contact to discuss your current hot water setup and needs to determine the most suitable system for you.

Lower Mitcham post code 5062

iStoreiStore

Please contact our office and we can direct you to the appropriate agent for your area - 1300 552 619.

Kia B.asked

Air to Energy

Do you think the 270l unit is suitable for a family of six? Can you please tell me how much rebate we receive in W.A

iStoreiStore

Hi Kia, the 270L iStore can produce over 1920 litres of water per day but your individual usage is best discussed with one of our authorised resellers. The Federal Government rebate is dependent upon your location and average air temperatures.

If you can provide us with your location we can recommend a reseller near you who can discuss all matters related to your home needs

Thanks that would be great. Our location is Roleystone W.A

Rohan

Rohanasked

Air to Energy 270L

We are looking to replace the current gas hot water system in the backyard (very close to outdoor seating area).

How loud does the iStore unit get when it is operating? I want to understand if the noise levels are high enough to become an issue.

Thanks.

iStoreiStore

The iStore units have a rated 46db sound emission measured at 1m from the unit, this is typically slightly less than a standard split system type air conditioner that you may be familiar with. Typically the unit will operate in bursts of approximately 1 to 1.5 hrs when required so it does not make a noise continually. The unit comes with inbuilt timers to take advantage of daytime electric solar panel generation and as such can be limited to operation time and hence avoid evening and night operation if required.

Please feel free to call us on 1300 552 619 and we can discuss your specific concerns.

Get an answer from our members and iStore representatives

The iStore Air to Energy solar hot water system offers an alternative to electric or gas energy. Its air-to-energy technology creates heat from compression, which is both energy efficient and economical. iStore makes two exciting estimates: firstly, that you’ll save $950 a year compared to paying for a gas or electric hot water storage system; and secondly, that prolonged usage can reduce carbon emissions by up to 4 tonnes.

Features:

• This is an energy efficient option, as the iStore Air to Energy system only draws 1kW of power to run, and 500kW per hour during its air-to-energy heating process
  • Compatible with a PV solar power system, if you have the panels on your roof. iStore estimates that when used with solar power, energy costs can be as little as 11 cents daily
  • Two in-built timers allow you customisation options to program the system for off-peak heating to save money
  • 4 intelligent operating modes allow for adaptability, including a hybrid mode to accommodate extra household members when you have guests, and a vacation mode

Points of praise for the iStore Air to Energy hot water heating system:

• The iStore team provide exceptional customer service, along with well-informed advice about installation, and follow through
  • hot water never runs out , even with 5 person household
  • The cost of energy bills dropped in when an iStore system was swapped out with an old gas hot water storage system. This was especially the case when the iStore was couple with a solar PV system, which resulted in further energy savings
  • System temperature remained consistently high, providing comfortingly hot water that didn’t run out or become colder over time

2021 ProductReview Awards logo

The iStore Air to Energy took home the 2021 Award for Best Solar Water Heater. Since there are no reviews under 4 stars, it’s not difficult to see why. Top points were scored by the iStore for its outstanding heating speed and temperature consistency.

Compare both iStore Air to Energy