Kellogg's Special K

Kellogg's Special K

What did Kellogg’s do to your Special K?

I’m from US in Australia for 2 weeks. Wanted some simple comfort food in my hotel room. Picked up Special K “original”. Wow. So very bad. US version is lighter and crisper with better mouth feel and taste. Cloying after taste and cardboardy mouth feel. I believe US version is rice and wheat only—no oats. Mostly rice with wheat gluten added, less sugar, more salt. This stuff is like Wheaties mixed into Special K that was left in back of pantry for 10 years. Kellogg’s nailed the taste of depression.

Gave Kellogg's a chance, but didn't live up to expectations

Sorry Kelloggs, I gave you a chance, but you didn't live up to expectations. After previously writing on these pages about the sad demise of my favourite cereal, 'sanitarium light n tasty', I went on an extensive taste search. I eventually settled on Kellogg's Special K Nourish, Cashew & Macadamia & Coconut. As I failed to find a suitably comparable cereal to my previous love, this one passed the test with a low sugar count of 13.8g and seemed to be the one I kept going back to (for lack of any other better options). A few months in and something drastic happened. Where did the nuts and seeds go? Despite the ingredient list including cashews, macadamias, pepitas, linseeds, coconut, I was suddenly opening boxes which seemed to contain only flakes and bran sticks, with one or two pepitas at the bottom of the packet. I have resorted to adding my own nuts and seeds. Thinking I will now try Uncle Toby's.

Mushy!!!!

Long time Special K customer. Re-thinking that status. The flakes are now thinner and turn to "mush" after milk has been added. no longer crunchy and thick. VERY disappointed

Crunchy and delicious

Crunchy and delicious especially the cranberry and almonds Special K. It is best with cold milk but I sometimes add a little bit of sweetened condensed milk to give it that creamy sweetness. I love its texture and great for breakfasts. Just don't dip it to long in milk as it becomes soggy after a while.

kellogg's Nourish with Apples, Raspberries & Almonds.

I bought the NEW! "Special K nourish" and really question the necessity to have flakes that turn into rubber within 4 minutes of applying milk. All of the items in the list were chopped up so finely, it made it impossible to distinguish one item from the next and just turned into slop in my mouth. I wonder if the ingredients are just leftovers from some other process and tossed in as an afterthought. Flakes were not flaky but had an unappealing texture before I was even half way through my bowl. Not very nice.

Gluten free Special K is very tasty

I am trying the new gluten free Special K today. Yum!! Great, authentic flavour and texture. Definitely one of the better gluten free cereals, and it has the Special K taste I have missed for the past few years.

amazing taste!

Have tried to like special K over the span of 27 years, always try different ones when they come out. I am finally in LOVE with Special K, the Nurish with coconut, cranberry and almonds is a winner for me, hope this combination will be around at 27 years. Thank you!

Special K Advantage - Why So Much Sugar?

I was so disappointed with this product as it is just too sweet. TinToy's comment was spot on. I feel mislead by the packaging and the "Health Star Rating" of 4.5 - how is it possible that something that is almost 20% SUGAR gets a 4.5 star health rating??

To put it in to perspective, imagine that you are eating bran and every 5th mouthful you replace with a spoon of pure sugar - THAT is how much sugar you would be eating by consuming this product!

Will be avoiding this one from now on!

The best tasting cereals!

Always included in my breakfast and aftie snacks !I eating it either with milk, chocolate drink or none at all, munching it just like a snack :) so crispy and makes me full ..

Special K Advantage: so much sugar!

Having bought the original Special K over a long period of time, I recently chose a variant called Kellogg's Special K Advantage, partly because the supermarket had it on special, but mainly because of the healthy-sounding assurances on the front of the packet: "3 grain recipe ...99% fat free ...one of the highest protein cereals ..."

It tasted awful. A very synthetic sweet flavour.

I turned to the ultra fine print to find out what is in it. Only 52% is cereal, plus 12% wholegrain. Alarmingly, the second ingredient by volume is sugar. But what sort of sugar, and how much? The manufacturer declines to say. My reasonable guess after eliminating the stated percentages is a full 30% of the contents is sugar. And yet elsewhere on the packet Kellogg's assures me that it is only "lightly sweetened." What dishonesty.

This product has so much sugar it should be taken off supermarket shelves. It is bad for human health.

Great product I love the taste of special k and I really enjoy eating it. It keeps you full and leaves you feeling satisfied after you eat it so you are not likely to pick all morning and it will keep you full till lunch time. I think that this cereal does help with weight loss as it’s nutritionally balanced and has a lot of the vitamins that you need to be eating everyday in the cereal. Great taste and packaging and I know that this cereal is aimed at women my husband regularly enjoys a bowl too.
Great taste, helps maintain weight loss and also helps to aid weightloss.
None i really like this product and would recomend to anyone.

Great tasting cereal

I love Special K any time of the day. I like the crisp flakes that aren't too thin, so they don't go mushy straght away like some other cereals. They are very tasty and I have never thought of adding anything to it other than some low fat milk. Price is reasonable, often get it on a good special.
Taste

for breakfast kellogs special k is a nice filler with all the essential nutrients... it deserves the price but it should be well consumed by many people if its price is somewhat less than present
i like the contents of the special k as well as taste.
no major complaints

A tasty, crisp flake that does not make you you a heavy feeling and seems to keep you going right up until lunch. This cereal does not need any suger on top as the flavour is perfect. I would recommend this cereal to others as it has a healty side especially for people with diabetes, this cereal is on their recommendation list. A healthy good tasting breakfast cereal and the cost is not too bad as well. It deserves a good rating.
Special K is now my preferred breakfast as it is a very tasty and substanial morning filler.
Nothing to complain about.

This is probably one of my favourite breakfast cereals. Although it is pretty plain it does have a great taste to it. Haven't read the nutrition label like the other reviewer but i will do so next time. I like having this with soy milk and bananas. It really does fill you up and keeps you full until lunchtime. I don't think i have ever really lost weight on it but it is a nice way to start the day non the less.
For plain cereal it is pretty tasty and you can add all sorts of things on it. I like it with bananas
Can be expensive, buy it on sale!

I had a bowl of these this morning and I guarantee I'll be having another tommorow morning! One of my favourite cereals on the market for being healthier and a great way to wake yourself up in the morning.
They seem very healthy and light for you, whilst tasting great. They are crunchy and of a decent size. Kellogs does a great job with this product, I also love how the pacakaging comes in different sizes for alot of variety. They taste healthy and you know they are good for you, I can't taste any sugar at all within them.
Expensive at full price.

Bad

This is a good tasting cereal, but sometimes when I eat it, its a bit too sweet for me. This is not my favourite cereals, although you can eat it during the day for a snack. I would suggest reading the labels on which cereals interest you and then make a purchase. So, this cereal is an option, but not the best or one of the best ones out there.
I have had this cereal a couple of times over the years and have a box waiting to be eaten because I boughtit half price on sale. They taste pretty good, but I won't say they are the healthiest option for breakfast cereal. This cereal seems to be aimed at (especially women) people wanting to loose weight and I find it amusing that you see the ads on t.v. a lot because of New Year's. Obviously the company is aiming towards people's New Year's resolutions to loose weight.
If you read the ingredients and the nutrition label (which I strongly suggest you always do), you may find that it is not as healthy as it sounds ot suggests. There a lot more healthier and better for you cereals on the market which just haven't had the ads promoting them this much. Cost wise, I think most cereals end up costing around the same, so none of them are really too cheap.

OK

These kinds of breakfast cereals never fill me up and I find I end up eating more earlier in the day due to this. I am better off having 4 Weetbix or even porridge that keeps you full for a few hours. I guess to make it a more filling breakfast you could have a banana or some yoghurt with it. Overall though I love the taste but if I was to buy a 'flakey' cereal I would go for something with fruit pieces in it just for the extra zing.
Great tasting. Light and crunchy and you can't stop at one bowl.
Does not fill you up. Bit pricey.

Good

I rarely buy Kellogg's Special K, but I do like the taste a lot. I cannot justify spending so much on fancy cereals when they usually have sugar and salt added in anyway. I would recommend this to someone wanting to try something a bit different for a while or who want to wean their children off of more sugary cereals. This one has a medium sweetness.
This cereal tastes really yummy and is even great for a dry snack in a cup. The texture is interesting and the flakes stay quite firm even when they have been in the milk for a while.
It is not actually as healthy as Kellogg's want you to think it is! It's quite pricey too.

Good

This cereal is marketed at people trying to lose weight or maintain their 'shape'. However, the sugar content tells a different story and I have friend s that have been tld by physicians not to eat this cereal if you want to lose weight! That aside it is one of the healthier options (if you compare to corn flakes or coco pops!) Great choice for pregnant womne due to the folate content. I love the taste and it keeps me fuller for longer. Can be pricey but then again most cereals are! Worth a try
Great taste, one of the healthier options
Price