Kmart Espresso Coffee Machine

See the Best Manual / Semi-Automatic Coffee Machines in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Kmart Espresso Coffee Machine In-Depth Review

ProductReview.com.au's selected consumer review.

A compact, very inexpensive machine that produces a good coffee at home.

My husband decided to buy this machine for us based on the Choice Magazine recommendation. We wanted to replace our pod machine as we were concerned about the environmental impact of the plastic pods which were not recyclable.
Initially, the first few coffees we made with the Kmart machine didn't impress. However, we persevered and discovered that our coffee grinder wasn't producing a suitable grind. We decided to purchase some espresso ground coffee from our local roaster and the machine then produced a very good cup of coffee. Indeed, it was better than many coffees we have been served at cafes. We found warming the cups helped and the fresh roasted and correct grind of coffee is essential. We didn't experience any plastic taste at all with our machine.
The reason it isn't getting 5 stars is that the milk frother is a slow way to warm the milk. We also had to purchase a small stainless steel jug to use as the machine doesn't come with this. If making more than a couple of coffees, a separate electric milk frother can speed the process up. The machine is very lightweight so needs to be held in place when attaching the filter holder. However, it is quite easy to clean and very compact. Yes, we would buy this again.

Purchased in February 2019 at Kmart Retail Stores for $99.00.

Even miss 12 can use it

Great buy.
My husband loves a "real coffee"
In the morning but the price of some of those machines was just scary.
Not to mention the thought of spending then possibly end up not using.
We purchased this from our local kmart
And have not looked back.
So simple to make a great coffee
And you can purchased coffee grinders that match also a great buy
Easy to clean and looks great.

So simple our miss 12 even enjoys making dad a coffee.

Purchased in April 2019 at Kmart Retail Stores for $80.00.

GrinderKmart

Great Value

After reading a couple of reviews about the burnt plastic taste it was the first thing I checked. My machine was fine so I suggest that was a batch issue. It’s a budget price and as expected mainly plastic. But it makes good coffee. Excellent value

Purchased in July 2019 at Kmart Retail Stores for $89.00.

Wonderful!

If you love the taste of plastic with your morning mug then you need this machine! All expense had been spared to bring you one of the most pathetic machines available to the modern world. Choice gives a good wrap I think it's good crap. You get what you pay for. If in doubt smell inside the water container before buying. Then sit down for five minutes till you get your composure back, you'll see what I mean. Kmart returned no questions asked.

Purchased in April 2019 at Maitland for $89.00.

Product is used: Rarely
GrinderBodum Bistro Electric Blade Grinder 11160-01UK (Black)

Burnt plastic

I like the look. I did several flushes and can't get the burnt plastic smell to go. In fact you can taste it in the coffee after. Totally returning it.

Purchased in July 2019 at Kmart for $89.00.

Product is used: Daily

Foul burning plastic smell taste that won't go away

As per some of the other reviews the coffee has a strong burning plastic smell that does not go away despite numerous flushing. Not due why done reviews font mention this perhaps there is a bad Bach???. Will seek a refund. Bought this to replace my old Sunbeam Piccolo that is similar price. Coffee is much better out if the Piccolo so will go back to that.

Purchased in June 2019 at Kmart Retail Stores for $89.00.

Product is used: Daily

Excellent budget machine. Better than I thought.

The cremer is great, fast heat up. The milk frother takes time to get used too. I blocked the air in pinhole on the frother so I could froth better. The steam wand is a little short but works fine. Can heat milk for one cup in around 40 seconds. Better than my last expensive one. For $89 its a bargain.

5th of June 2019 Update: Excellent value. Great Coffee
This machine is an absolute winner. Makes beautiful coffee. Excellent crema every time. Steam wand takes a little to get used to but works great. This little machine is a bargain for $89. Would buy two just to keep another as they are great budget machines.

Purchased in May 2019 at Kmart Online Store for $89.00.

Love it

It is cheap to buy and worth to have it. I just love it. I would definitely recommend for someone who love coffee but don’t want to spend much money.

Purchased in June 2018.

Product is used: Several times a week
GrinderSunbeam Burr Grinder EM0430

Bad plastic taste despite repeated flushes - returned.

This machine is in my opinion not fit for human use. Followed the instructions to flush out the unit on first set up. Despite this the plastic smell was really strong in the water / steam. Repeated flushes made little or no difference. If you lift the water reservoir lid and sniff the plastic smell remained very strong. Tried really hard to like this but in the end gave up and returned it as the plastic taste/smell was horrible and not getting any better.

Purchased in May 2019 at Kmart Retail Stores for $89.00.

Product is used: Daily

Kmart has done it again!

I bought this coffee machine a few weeks back and it has been providing excellent and consistent results ever since. The machine is easy to use and makes excellent espresso with a rich crema on top. It comes with a plastic tamper, which I recommend you to replace it with a metal one.

Purchased in May 2019 at Kmart Retail Stores for $89.00.

Product is used: Daily

Cheap and effective coffee machine

We've had our Kmart coffee machine for 6 months now. It's easy to use, coffee tastes great, easy to clean. It does take a bit to warm up, so I turn on the milk steamer when I turn it on. Setup instructions tell you to wash through the product before use, so use the hot water option and use all the water from the tank...if you haven't done this it maybe contributed to others reviews on a plastic taste.

I always heat up the milk before the coffee. Great little inexpensive machine.

All my visitors enjoyed coffee from this machine and never complained on taste, have all actually complimented and couldn't believe the machine comes from kmart.

Its very safe, so if you forget to turn it off it will turn itself off.

Purchased in November 2018 at Kmart for $89.00.

Product is used: Daily

Avoid! Plastic smell and taste that won’t go away

This machine has a serious problem as I’ve also encountered the plastic smell and taste with the coffees out of this machine. I thought it was something I was not doing wrong but I followed the instructions to the letter and as this isn’t my first manual machine there is something clearly wrong with it. It’s being returned today. Don’t believe the hype and Choice reviews about it, just avoid!!

Purchased in April 2019 at Kmart Retail Stores for $89.00.

Awful plastic taste

Coffee has a plastic taste to it. At first I thought its just because the machine is new but now after 8 attempts on different days I give up. The plastic taste wont go away. Plastic taste is not quite as bad as b4 though still its an awful drink. Unfortunately for me I read so many good reviews about it online that I threw the receipt away the day I bought the machine. So now I am stuck with a machine that is no use to me.

Purchased in October 2018.

Coffee Tastes of rubber plastic

At first I thought it was just me but clearly I am not the only one coffee tasted of rubber / plastic Was disgusting have returned to store For a refund

Purchased in April 2019.

Choice says ‘Best’

‘Choice’ says ‘best’ on their review. Scored 70% compared to deLonghi La Specialista 65%. Judges said crema colour, thickness, aroma, flavour, mouth-feel ( not heard that phrase much ) and aftertaste. ( heard that a lot )
I have to agree with that review. I find the machine lives up to expectation. Mind you I am using a top brand coffee and am doing the right things. I followed the instructions and am making great coffee.
Worth the money.

Purchased in April 2019 at Kmart Retail Stores for $89.00.

Product is used: Daily

It's not consistent and gets worse

I had one for 3 months, and slowly the coffee's got worse, I just replaced it with a new one this week, he machine seems to have a problems with pressure, it seems like it's can't provide consistent pressure of standard 9BAR which results in under extracted bad watery sour coffee's. Maybe it's been my bad luck, I don't know, tried different grind's, different coffee's it's all the same problem. First Machine I was using 10gram piece, then that became watery and sour and no creama after 2months, then I used 5gram piece it was working fine for like 3 weeks, then that became watery and sour and no crema. Now the new one, I'll see how it goes the next month.

Purchased in December 2018.

Consistency

Not too bad for the price

This machine is pretty good, but not great. Its hard to get the consistency right, sometimes the coffee is burnt, sometimes not roasted enough. Nice and easy to use and easy to clean. Once you work out the kinks, its a pretty good little machine

Purchased in February 2019 at Kmart Retail Stores.

Product is used: Several times a week

My husband gave me of one of these for Christmas and how lucky am I!!! I am very satisfied with this machine.

I just love my coffee am never disappointed with the result of each cup. I tend to drink coffee all through the day and love the ease of use. I'm more of a flat white drinker so can not really comment on the milk frother. The temperature is always consistent and spot on. The machine also looks good. Yes you tend to have to use smaller cups - but, removing the drip tray for a larger cup is no problem. Thank you husband dear, and thank you KMart.

Purchased in December 2018 at Drugscreen.

Don't waste your money

I bought it thinking I would treat myself, we were able to get ONE use out of it. We would clean it and the water coming out of it would smell bad, so we cleaned it twice again and the same thing kept happening. It still works but something inside of it is making the water taste bad. We even tried filtered store bought water and the same thing happened. So stay away from this machine

Purchased in March 2019 at Kmart Retail Stores for $89.00.

Amazing

I think this coffee machine is so good. It produces amazing coffee every single time, the temperature is just right. The machine looks very modern and stylish. I absolutely love it.

Purchased in March 2019 for $89.00.

Product is used: Daily

Hi, How long should I run espresso shot for cappuccino. If I run it for 15 seconds it’s too weak and watery. Thanks
If you're is usable your one of the lucky ones. Sorry I can't help with your question I had mine for 4 months and never got a decent coffee out of it. Constant plastic taste and when I finally returned it they seemed to be expecting it. Good luck!

First time to use and the water won't run. You can hear the motor, the top is getting warm, the green light is on. We can get the frother to work but want to run the water through but can't get it to run. It has sufficient water but won't uptake the water. Any suggestions??

Has the burnt plastic smell been fixed? Looking to buy one but concerned about the recurring plastic taste issue. Call me to discuss on 0481876957. Jonathan
Johnathon when you first heat the machine in the morning always flush the grouphead before extraction, I noticed a burnt taste if I didnt flush the group first. Also be aware that tap water left in machine overnight will also give a burnt taste and smell. Always us fresh water each day as when council water has sat for a while the bromide dissipates leaving a chlorine taste.

CategoryManual / Semi-Automatic Coffee Machines