Customer service equal voicemail

I have been using mate connection since 8 odd months initially with ADSL and then NBN. For months I initially endured their slow ADSL connection speed and once NBN connection was available at my premises I opted for a good speed NBN connection. The speed is ok however am not getting the 25 Mbps as per the speed an paying for but getting around 14-15 Mbps. The NBN connection is now down for couple of days and their customer care is operating only till 7pm during weekdays - hence hope for your net outage at least before 7pm if you wish to talk to someone. The other issue is that the customer service very rarely answers your calls but ask you to leave voicemail as they are busy on other calls and then they call back. Hence more often than not you need to be available to answer their call if you need any support rather than they being available to support us during our time of need.

Start DateOctober 2018
Data TypeUnlimited Data
Connection TypeFTTN (Fibre to the Node)
Hi Sane, Sorry to hear this. Can you please advise your MATE Code/account number so we can look into this issue ASAP? Regards, The MATE teamAccount number is 626212

Have not had to call customer service for anything in the two years we have been at this address. Super reliable!

No dropouts recorded but speeds dropped a little due to evening traffic but still able to stream 1080p. Upgrading my service to 100 as there isn't a contract to hold me back

Start DateFebruary 2017
Connection TypeFTTP (Fibre to the Premises)
Hi Gooob, Many thanks for your positive feedback! Glad to hear we have provided you a service you are happy with! Regards, The MATE team

Fantastic for non speaking computer people :)

I cannot rate this company high enough, I was hesitant to try a company I had never heard of before but the reviews were all positive and thought it was worth a try as there were no connection/disconnection/plan costs. I have been extremely surprised and happy with their service at connection and disconnection, that's right! When I first signed up as I don't speak computer well I received help at every point including instillation of Modem etc.. their call centre is also based in Australia which was very helpful.
I'm currently not using my Internet much and things are a little tight, I called on a Saturday to disconnect my service and the line was busy, I didn't leave a message & thought id try later in the week. I was suprised to receive a call back saying they noticed I had called and could they help me, I informed them i wished to cancel my monthly internet, my Internet was cancelled so quickly without harassing conversations or fees. I am extremely happy with Mate and will return when needed again. You wont regret going with this Australian company.

Start DateJuly 2018
Data TypeUnlimited Data
Hi Erin, Wow, what can we say!? Thanks for your fantastic review, your feedback is much appreciated. Regards, The MATE team

Waste of money

I've been using Mate for 8 months. The speed was always terrible and I had connection problem since the beginning, but the customer service could fix the problem through the phone, even if I've been without internet for a couple of days every time.
10 days ago I had the usual drop off and once again I called the support, but they could't fix the problem, so my case has been sent to the carrier for an ulterior check. They said that it could take 24/48 hours and I was already without internet for 2 days. The carrier replied that there were no problems with the NBN, so I had to make ONCE AGAIN several calls to the support for a further troubleshoot. In the end they said that wasn't they're fault but they said that it could be my ethernet cable. Also during one of my phone calls, a guy from the customer service, offered to deduct the days without internet from the bill, but that was a lie because a few days later (beginning of April) I received the bill and I payed the full amount, including the days I was promised would be removed due to not having internet. Anyway, I didn't say anything because I knew that it was a lost battle and I don't have time to waste in discussion. So I bought a new cable, I called the support again and after several calls I had internet back. But this is not a happy ending story, it's a never ending story. After 10 days HERE I AM AGAIN!!!!! same problem same story and I've been without internet for 3 days now!!!! Last evening I called the support for a further troubleshoot and I also asked for a refund for the days without internet, because I'm paying for nothing!! But guess!!! This time they blamed my router and they said: NO it's not our fault NBN is working, so you can't get a refund you have to change your router or try with another laptop!! I bought the router 7 months ago when I activated with MATE, but the support guy said: well..you know...things brakes when they're old!!!! This is just crazy I'm sick of being messed around and making me believe it was on my end or my hardware. So this evening when I go home, I'll try to call the support again for the millionth time and I'll use a new router (another waste of money). If it's not going to help I'll cancel my subscription STRAIGHT AWAY this is clear. I'm not the person that complains for every single thing but this company is testing my patience and I have had enough of this messing about.

Start DateAugust 2018
Connection TypeWireless
Hi Benedetta, Very sorry to hear this. We have organised our support team to contact you ASAP so we can troubleshoot and try and resolve your issue. Regards, The MATE team

Great install and support response but everything else terrible

The signing up process and install was great! Support team very responsive as well but man, after the install was complete, I am getting 1MB download.... like seriously??? $70 for this connectivity? I went back to support and their response was to get an engineer out to see what is wrong with the telstra line. If there is something wrong it's free, however if they cannot find any fault its $170 out of my pocket with slow internet... Does not make sense for me. I ended up switching with TPG and receiving 14MB download speed AND cheaper monthly contract. I lost $140 with MATE. Not a good mate after all. Didn't even last 1 month!!!

Start DateMarch 2019
Data TypeUnlimited Data
Hi IIW, Sorry to hear this. Can you please advise your MATE code/account number so we can look into this issue ASAP?Too late, I have cancelled my account as there was already too much looking into this issue with no result... lol. a record of 14 days I think...Hi IIW, We would still like to follow up internally - can you confirm what your MATE code/account number was?

Good Product and Fantastic customer service

New to mate service been great so far and customer service are great and friendly. Move from Belong to Mate ADSL wish I joined up earlier. Hope to go to nbn next month or so with mate.

Start DateApril 2019
Standalone or BundledBundled
Data TypeUnlimited Data
Hi David, Very glad to hear this! Thanks for your great review! Regards, The MATE team

Amazing company

I am so impressed by this company. I called to connect in the evening and by the following the morning I had internet! So easy. And the service was immaculate. Seriously great company. After so many companies with bad service and problems this was a complete breeze! I highly recommend.

Start DateApril 2019
Connection TypeWireless
Hi JHE, Very glad to hear this! Thanks for your great feedback! Regards, The MATE team

Yes there are speed drops!

so i've been told and heard that the company has no speed drops during the peak hours and NBN works smoothly. hence, still low speed at times and it happens frequently. I've called to change speed and get a better plan and they mentioned they're not able to change speed until the pay day which for me was in 27 days! i really don't understand why this can happen!

Start DateFebruary 2019
Data TypeUnlimited Data
Connection TypeFTTC (Fibre to the Curb)
Hi tallebi, Sorry to hear this. We can confirm that any plan changes can only be actioned at the start of your billing cycle and can't be changed mid-month. The plan will change on this date as you would have been advised and we hope you won't have any further issues. Regards, The MATE team

Does Not work, if it does it's slow

Started using NBN a week ago. Since yesterday it keeps dropping off. Absolutely useless, one more provider who rips you off. Is there any provider that provides what I pay for?!

Connection TypeI don't know
Hi Adam, Sorry to hear this. If you have experienced the same issue with multiple providers then this is obviously a network issue which we will need nbn to rectify. We can see that you have an open fault in progress and we are working with nbn to have the issue rectified. Once the fault is resolved, the billing team will investigate your account and the fault and provide any applicable compensation for downtime. Regards, The MATE teamno, I haven`t experienced the same issue with any other provider as this is my first NBN connection. What I experience is that you providers always pass the buck, it is always someone else`s fault. I don`t want too much: I want to pay for the service and not worry about it. I don`t want to waste my time sending emails after emails, calls after calls, I don`t even want to know about the service, I just want it to work.Hi Adam, You have obviously had a bad experience with a previous provider and you are prejudging us based on this. That's fine, and we certainly understand that Internet issues can be frustrating. However, we also want your service to work, and we will do everything we can do ensure this is the case. We aren't like other providers - we will fight until any issues are resolved as this is what we do. We have already logged a fault with nbn and sent a technician out to your property. If you are still experiencing issues, then we do need to send the carrier the relevant data so they can fix the issue. We are not interested in blaming anyone, but you need to understand that we do not run the network and if there are issues we need to go through the relevant parties in order to get these resolved. Regards, The MATE team

Like an ecstasy Trip - Builds up to not quite a peak and then comes down to nothing...

Thought mate and barefoot ISP (same company with same complaints) were showing promise of being a reasonably astute Australian owned business.... Yeah -no!! Joined 01/2019 on 50/20 fixed wireless @$89.00 p/month with promising peak download speeds. Then some months later peak speeds dropped as with the monthly payment to $75 p/m (which is a reflection on pricing) to where we are now: current speed test (27.03.2019) PING 736 DOWNLOAD 0.38mbps UPLOAD 0.46mbps... @10.16pm ref. https://www.speedtest.net/result/8143340495%E2%80%

After providing speed-tests and details to Mate ISP for analysis of which they handball to nbn this is their reply;

Hi Matt,

See the response below;
"The cell which this user is connected to experiences high utilisation during busy periods. This means that the speed of this service is likely to be reduced, particularly in the evening when more people are using the internet.
nbn constantly monitors the fixed wireless network for sites which require capacity expansion and we aim to upgrade site capacity before congestion occurs, however sometimes demand exceeds expectations, resulting in a site becoming congested.
This site is scheduled for capacity expansion by Quarter 4, 2019 which should result in improved performance for users on this cell. While we endeavor to upgrade sites on their scheduled date, it is subject to change."

Please contact our support team if you wish to discuss this further.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A release of findings into ISP advertising "standard evening speed" by the ACCC concluded the ISP must state sustained average "peak demand time, 7pm - 11pm" speeds. On Mate web site that is portrayed as 30 - 50mbps on the nbn 50 of which I'm on. But as you can read, Mate ISP's response is clear that 0.38mbps is acceptable, unwilling to escalate, please don't respond to email and just call support to start from the beginning again! To further Mate ISP are aware of surmised congestion at cell but continue to offer their Fixed-wireless connection plans. Reading other review sites; whirlpool, trustpilot etc. there is a common reply from Mate / Barefoot ISP "congestion". Simple don't offer a service you can't provide... A very lame response and a money grabbing exercise.. Time to call the ombudsman and notify ACCC... PS. Mysteriously if I change ISP of which I've done on two occasions (new port at cell) the peak speeds are very acceptable as was with Mate ISP to begin with!! You've changed Mate.. :(

Start DateJanuary 2019
Connection TypeWireless
Hi Matt, Sorry to hear you are unhappy with your experience. We can confirm that nbn have advised that the Fixed Wireless network tower that your service is connected to is currently congested. Unfortunately, this is an issue you will experience regardless of which ISP you choose as the issue is on the nbn network. We do not get advised of cell tower congestion until a fault is logged, and we are not aware of this issue until a service is connected and a ticket is raised to the carrier. The download speeds accessible on your plan will range from 1Mbps up to 50Mbps and will vary due to a variety of factors. Services delivered over the nbn Fixed Wireless network do not have a minimum requirement for speed due to the limitations of this technology. If you are unsatisfied with the service you are receiving, you are free to cancel the service before the start of your next bill cycle as we are a month-to-month service with no lock-in contracts. Regards, The MATE team

No hassles, great support.

Most reliable ADSL connection I've had to date. Handled peak times extremely well. They give SMS notifications of any connection issues or coverage problems very quickly, sometimes before it even reached my area. Support is excellent, the people on the other end are knowledgeable and very friendly.

Pricing is very competitive, particularly given the great quality of service and support provided.

One time I had my phone line cut by work done by cable technician on another unit. MATE sorted that for me, troubleshooting to determine where the fault could be, then organising a new technician to inspect then repair. Very clear about what each step meant and no hidden surprises.

Start DateFebruary 2018
Data TypeUnlimited Data
Hi Raymond, Thanks for your kind words and review! We appreciate your feedback and glad our support team has been helpful. Regards, The MATE team

If you're looking for an ISP, look no further. Best ISP I've ever had!

(In regards to their NBN service)

When it comes to service providers there are two main things I look for: Quality of the service and customer support/service. From the start, everything has been great with MATE Communicate. They deliver an amazing service and if/when things go sideways, there’s always a friendly person to assist me. I’ve just requested a speed upgrade, not because I need, but because their price is really inviting. Their prices are very competitive and, if you compare, you probably won’t find anything with a similar quality for a similar price.

Over the past year, my internet has been consistently good. Never dropped out, and if it slowed down, it was unnoticeable. Never had an issue. Keep in mind I’m a hard user. I’ve got many peripherals around the place, phones, computers, smart tvs, apple tv, sonos, etc.

Anyway, as I make sure to complain when things aren’t right, I also make sure to complement when the praise is genuinely deserved. In conclusion, I do recommend these guys to you, picky customer, who appreciates a friendly customer service and great service at a great price.

So far, the best ISP I’ve ever had. Keep in mind that I had many, and all of the previous ones gave a headache. But not MATE.

Start DateJanuary 2018
Connection TypeFTTP (Fibre to the Premises)
Hi K.L., Thanks for your great feedback! Much appreciated. Regards, The MATE team

Terribly slow evening speeds, phone customer service needs attention.

Signed up with mate 17/08/2018, cancelled 28/03/2019. Coming from Amnet ADSL2 initially the speeds seemed fantastic achieving 30+Mbps downloads, that is until between the hours of 18:00-21:00 where I would average less than 1Mbps.

Being as busy as I have been working FIFO finally made a call the have it resolved, and instead of waiting on hold your call is directed to an answering machine and then they get back to you (at some point). This is extremely inconvenient if you have a window of time and can't take the return call... anyhow after 3 calls back and forward I finally spoke to someone to be told the issue was likely my end and multiple screen shots would have to be taken of speed test's then sent to Mate before they would even look into my issue.

Again being time poor it was much quicker to switch to Aussie Broadband and enjoy 30+Mbps and 20 times quicker ping (evening speeds) that same day, very happy. It would appear Mate are overselling their bandwidth.

Mate, as I was trying to explain over the phone my end appeared to be ok as I was still able to reach high speeds, just not in the evening. I also never had issues with evening speeds with my previous ISP which would at least prove my modem and line from my house to the node. Surely there is some other tests you can run before you assume the customer is at fault, it is honestly easier to switch ISP's.

Start DateSeptember 2018
Data TypeUnlimited Data
Connection TypeFTTN (Fibre to the Node)
Hi Justin, Sorry to hear this. Can you please advise what your account number was so we can look into this issue? Regards, The MATE teamHi Vanessa, Account No: 624437 Thanks, JustinThanks for confirming Justin. Our internal management team will review your account and we will pass your feedback on.

ADSL just got slower and slower....but never dropped out.

ADSL 2 served me well, but just as the NBN became available, ADSL just got so slow, that I decided to take the risk of switching to NBN and so far so good. I don't believe it is Mate's fault for the slowness - it is Telstra not maintaining their copper wire network. Mate organised a technician to come check our lines and he found issues, repaired some but told me the copper network is crumbling.
ADSL never dropped out - connection stable and customer service exceptional - love speaking to an Australian in an Australian call centre.
Loved no contracts and the NBN is the cheapest i could find too after extensive research.
Great technical help in setting up my modem for NBN.
Also had sim only for mobile and it had exceptional coverage - equal to my Telstra sim. Got rid of it though as couldn't cope with the $10 fee for each MB i went over.

Standalone or BundledBundled
Data TypeUnlimited Data
Hi Susan, Thanks for your kind words and review! We appreciate your feedback. Regards, The MATE team

My MATE is doing great

change to MATE Communicate while on adsl2 , then nbn 12 and soon after to nbn 25 FTTC with MATE Communicate, have a BYO router TP-link TD-W9960 , MATE helped me with router setup when nbn arrived and was up and running in no time,connection has not ever suffered drop outs or issues with speed , nbn 25 i receive 23.5mbps . your great MATE

Start DateSeptember 2018
Data TypeUnlimited Data
Connection TypeFTTC (Fibre to the Curb)
Hi rooster, Many thanks for your fantastic review! Glad to hear we have provided you with a great experience. Regards, The MATE team

Best ISP in Melbourne, they truly deserve 5 stars

I do not usually write reviews. But for Mate I feel I have to do so for the exceptional service and amazing customer support they offer.
I switched providers from Belong to Mate a year ago and it was the best decision I ever made. Mate is the opposite of everything bad Belong used to be. I used to have very slow connection with lots of issues but since I switched to Mate the internet has been a charm, best speed, no dropouts, no issues whatsoever and on the top of that amazing customer service.

Mate is like a flower (Best ISP) in a field of weeds (all the other ISPs in Melbourne)

Start DateJune 2018
Data TypeUnlimited Data
Hi Zaher, Wow, what can we say! Many thanks for your kind words and for taking the time to leave us this review. Really appreciate your feedback! Regards, The MATE team

For Past days I'm using my mobile data to stream videos instead of mate

For the past days I'm getting very low speeds especially at night though I'm close to the network tower.when I call support,Mate complain my wifi router is not good.Then they restart my port .To cross check and clarify , I checked my router speed with Lan cable connected to laptop the speed was 15 Mbps ,then Checked the speed only with wifi it showed 15mbps with mate support on call.This eliminated that there is nothing wrong with my router.
Now at nights after mate has closed their operations, please see the attached screenshots of the speed with Lan connected to my laptop.How can I pay 69 dollar a month to get 1.52 Mbps of speed. I use my my mobile net to stream videos.How ridiculous!!

Data TypeUnlimited Data
Hi Basil, We can see you have an open fault in progress and our support team are in contact with you. We will keep you updated on the progress of your fault. Regards, The MATE team

Big Telcos, look out!

I discovered Mate via this very website after searching for a new ISP (this should become an Olympic sport, it seems everyone's doing it!). Overwhelming majority 5-star reviews prompted me to message the Mate team asking about their ADSL service (I'm in postcode 2100 - Sydney's northern beaches). Their response was instant, informative and helpful. Dare I say friendly and - very Aussie! Praise the Gods!

After a "nail in the coffin" support phone call experience with Telstra (our provider for countless years), I decided I'd had enough of Telstra (there's a long backstory there, with the manner in which they bundled my Foxtel and screwed that up - too long and irrelevant to state here). I also knew the dangers of going with a relative "unknown" ISP, and understand too, how ADSL behaves across providers, and the fact that Telstra own the majority of infrastructure. I knew I was taking a gamble signing with Mate (although with no lock in contract, it's not really a gamble, right?).

I signed up to Mate last Saturday, and the communications (SMS and email) were fast and succinct, informing me when the new Mate connection would be made. Long story short, Mate got me connected 7 days quicker than they advised, and when I logged in to the new account this morning, everything came up quickly as expected. BUT here's the kicker... my ADSL connection is now 20% FASTER than the Telstra connection. I know it's 11am on a weekday but I rarely get speeds like this even at this day/time. Perhaps a nice coincidence?

I cannot speak more highly of Mate at this point. I know it's early days but, hey, what a welcome, and what a service. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THESE PEOPLE. Great to have a new provider on the map in this country, and one that understands customer service, building customer relationships, and providing great Internet service. I've never felt more happy with an ISP than I do today. Cheers!

P.S. My only comment to their service team would be this; it'd be nice if the person responding to an email states their name at the bottom so that we know who we're talking to. Otherwise, no problems at all! Well done, everyone!

Start DateMarch 2019
Data TypeUnlimited Data
Hi That Metal Man, Wow, we are blown away by your feedback! We really appreciate you taking the time to leave such a detailed, positive review and glad to hear that we have provided you with a great experience. Regards, The MATE team

Very fast set up was no hassle and they set it up very quickly from time of first response
Excellent service
Has been very reliable during our time
Wouldn’t go with anyone else

Start DateOctober 2015
Connection TypeFTTP (Fibre to the Premises)
Hi Justin S, Thanks for your kind words and review! We appreciate your feedback and glad to hear the service has been reliable. Regards, The MATE team

Fantastic Service

Very happy with this internet provider. Not only have they got great NBN prices, but their service is outstanding. They are always so friendly and helpful and I never have to wait more than a few minutes to speak with someone. If they are busy, they always make sure to call me back within the next hour or less, which I love! that way, I don't have to stop what I'm doing to be on hold forever like other companies. I also love that I get to talk to a real Australian - no offshore people I can't understand. Not sure why everyone is having a whinge about the 12/1 NBN speed. My partner games online alot and I'm constantly streaming Netflix and Youtube and don't ever have a problem with the connection. 5 stars!

Start DateAugust 2018
Connection TypeWireless
Hi Elisha, Many thanks for your fantastic review! Glad to hear we have provided you with a great experience. Regards, The MATE team