Flexible and competitive service

Moved home and don't want to sign up a contract as waiting for NBN connection.
Found Mate provides month to month service with no installation and no lock-in contract.
Easy to connect service. They are all nice.
Never had problem with them.

The promotion period was good but after promotion, the price is not competitive.

Data TypeUnlimited Data

Good provider. Feels like it's getting slower though.

I have been with Mate for around 10 months now. On the whole they are a great provider and I haven't had any issues with them which is a big plus. I have only recently noticed that my speed seems to have slowed down a bit. Streaming freeview on the TV at night can sometimes buffer, whereas previously this was never an issue, I wouldn't expect this on the best mates package when only 3 devices are using the internet, 2 browsing and one streaming. At time of writing the speedtest shows downloads speeds of 26.15 mbps which is off peak and only 1 device connected, this is a fair bit short from the advertised average 39 mbps peak speed for 3 devices.

Start DateJuly 2018

Satisfactory speeds

On 100 MBPS connection, would get around 75 MBPS and 30 MBPS connection. Dropout stopped after buying a new linksys modem.
* Overall satisfied with the service and price.
*Good customer support.

Start DateApril 2019

this is perfect

i have been connected to mates for the late 6 hours so far all good i have phone as well. for the speed side of things my dads 5 year old laptop was able to get 91 Mbps around 6pm Melbourne time with 35 upload and later on was able to get 80 to 85 Mbps with everything streaming which is like 6 device streaming. for the first time in my life the person i spoke to was an Aussie. it is so easy to communicate with my MATES i can speak to customer service for day, has to be the easiest setup of my life. i have been with optus for 14 years no more will i suffer god willing. just amazing so far.

Connection TypeHFC (Cable)
Hi umar a, Wow, what can we say! Very glad to hear we have provided you a great experience so far! Thanks for your feedback. Regards, The MATE team

Can't fault anything

I called around 3pm on a Saturday afternoon to find out what was available at my place. I was a bit apprehensive as didn't know much about NBN, and wasn't sure about using a company I didn't know anything about. Seeing as NBN is not owned by Telstra like the phone lines are, and with no contract I thought I'd give them a go. The guy I spoke with knew what he was talking about. He suggested starting on the lowest priced plan as I could change at any time, advised I could buy my own router rather than their modem as I have FTTP, and even emailed a list of recommended ones. Within a few hours I was online! Haven't had any issues with service, connection or speed. If any of your friends sign up you get $50 credit, so one a month could pay for your internet. Plus their call centre is in Western Sydney not offshore. I highly recommend them.

Start DateSeptember 2018
Data TypeUnlimited Data
Connection TypeFTTP (Fibre to the Premises)
Hi Lee, Many thanks for taking the time to leave us this review! Glad to hear we have provided a good experience! Regards, The MATE team

NBN Service

Have been with Mate for 3 years. Travel across Australia for a few months annually and disconnect service when away. Reconnection has always been simple and efficient with guidance from articulate service advisors. We are soooo happy with mate communicate that we rave to all our friends what a good provider it is. Great company to deal with.

Data TypeUnlimited Data
Hi louise, Many thanks for your review! We appreciate you taking the time to leave us your feedback. Regards, The MATE team

Amazing service and would 100% recommend to anyone looking for a new internet company!

Today, after abominable service from my previous provider, I cancelled my home internet. My friend had glowing reviews about Mate, stating how she's on the NBN12 with her brother, how it they both stream and play at the same time with no issues, how quick it was to install and how affordable it is.
I was at my wits end after being super mucked around with my previous provider, who recently sold my account to a newer provider (Mynetfone to southern phone) who I left today, and I enquired online with Mate. Vanessa was amazing, quick and informative, organising a call back for me in my lunch break to discuss getting sorted with Mate. I missed the calls as was late to lunch, but rang Mate and Frank from Sales was an absolute legend. Thanks to him and Vanessa (and now, Adrian from tech support as well), I am now fully connected to my new internet which is better in wifi strength and speed already and cheaper than what I was paying! I recommend management to review the recordings of Frank and Adrian and Vanessa as they all deserve a raise and huge praise for their excellent service. Very very happy customer here.

Connection TypeI don't know
HI Darcy C, Wow, what can we say! Many thanks for your kind words and we will certainly pass your feedback onto Vanessa, Frank and Adrian! We appreciate your support! Regards, The MATE team

Have experienced some drop outs early on but quick call to Mate, resolved issue.
Service is good , speeds are excellent, Customer service is good , informative and friendly.
Good price for unlimited.
Kept well informed of issues affecting our area, troubleshooting is quick and effective.

Start DateJanuary 2017
Contract Type24-month contract
Data TypeUnlimited Data
Hi Spurwing, Thanks for your feedback and taking the time to leave us this review! We are glad to hear that our customer service has been helpful and friendly. Regards, The MATE team

Mostly Great

Switched here after technical issues with a previous provider... My connection is mostly stable and reasonably fast for downloads etc, movies even though I have a basic plan. I have never had longer dropouts. I can have a dropout, but it never lasted more than 30 minutes or so. I have found customer service really easy to communicate with and friendly (even though I didn't have to do this much) - and absolute BREEZE of fresh air after my previous issues with another provider, which was maddening. I appreciate these guys!

Start DateFebruary 2017
Connection TypeWireless
Hi NicoleS, Very glad to hear you have had a good experience so far! Thanks for sharing your feedback and we are glad to hear that our customer service team have been friendly and easy to communicate with. Regards, The MATE team

Mate Communicate

The Pros:
I swapped to "Mate Communicate" (M.C.) October 2018. My wife and I used their bundle deal for the internet and mobile phones. We haven't had any problems with the service. In fact, our ADSL internet speed increased quite a lot than what we had from our previous Internet Provider. We have found them easy to talk to and patient for the likes of us who are of the older generation and aren't totally "tech savvy".
The Cons:
Mate Communicate use the Telstra network system, of which they only have 98% .
My wife and I live in Western Australia, recently we took a trip to Esperance, which is approximately 700 kilometres southeast of Perth. In Western Australia, the smaller towns which we passed through had no signal. The major towns like Esperance, Bunbury etc... we could get a signal. This isn't (M.C's) fault because of the relationship with Telstra.
It appears from looking at the East coast of Australia, where there are bigger towns and population, the coverage of the mobile signal appears to be a lot better than the west coast.
We live in a Perth suburb, so have no problem locally.
Because of the lack of signal in distant places, we could not recommend M, C. to friends in these places.

Data TypeUnlimited Data
Hi David, Thanks for your review. We are very glad to hear your ADSL Internet speed increased. We can confirm that our mobile service uses parts of Telstra's 4G and 3G networks and coverage in rural or regional areas can vary from Telstra directly. You can see our 4G coverage map below, which will provide a bit more detail: http://mobilemaps.net.au/maps/mcm/4G.html Regards, The MATE team

So far so good

Just upgraded from Mate ADSL to NBN (HFC). Had a few issues with the transition but unsurprisingly that’s on NBN Co and not the provider. We’ve got the 100mbps plan. just tested it, 7pm, and got 92mbps download, and 35mbps upload.
It’s worth noting speed testing was done by plugging nbn hfc modem straight into the computer, to take my modem/router/wifi out of the equation. The mate team walked me through this process, if anyone is interested in doing the same.
No contract, no download limit, no transfer fee, and $79 per month for legit 100mbps plan.
Early days but, so far, great!

Start DateJanuary 2019
Connection TypeHFC (Cable)
Hi TPreston, Very glad to hear you have had a good experience so far! Thanks for sharing your feedback! Regards, The MATE team

Constant lags in gaming

Been more than a year with MATE and was good for the first 6 months or so. My experience has been worse and worse over time but I didn't bother to switch. Now it come to a point that I literally can't play a single RTS/FPS game at night. I'm switching for sure.

Start DateApril 2018
Data TypeUnlimited Data
Connection TypeSatellite (Sky Muster)
Hi Nick, Sorry to hear this. Can you please advise your MATE Code/account number so we can look into this issue ASAP?

Bloody great

Love the call back I’m never on hold for ever and wish there were more companies that would follow there lead. A+ to Adrian the guy I talked to great chat. The speed is a little slow sometimes but no lock in is the best and call center guys in Australia what else do I say A+

Data TypeUnlimited Data
Hi Greg S, Thanks for your feedback! We appreciate you taking the time to leave us this review. Regards, The MATE team

Great service and product!

Currently have 2x mobiles and ADSL plan with Mate. Their service is second to none and the transfer to our New NBN plan couldnt have been easier. Highly recommend to anyone who is looking for great prices and outstanding service!!

Start DateApril 2018
Data TypeUnlimited Data
Connection TypeFTTC (Fibre to the Curb)
Hi Hayley M, Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review, we appreciate it! Glad to hear we have provided a good service. Regards, The MATE team

Continuous drop out

I am more disconnected than I'm connected and the speed they claim for NBN 50 is just a big lie. I don't recommend them and will move as soon as I find a reliable 4G internet.

Start DateJune 2018
Connection TypeFTTN (Fibre to the Node)
Hi Mehdi, Sorry to hear this. We have checked your network logs and your service has been fantastic for the most part until April. We have organised our support team to contact you ASAP so we can troubleshoot. Regards, The MATE team

Best ISP I have ever dealt with

We signed up with Mate a few weeks ago. I have been burned in the past by multiple ISPs with poor customer service, unreliable connection and lengthy waiting times to get anything done. So this time I did my research. I wanted fast, reliable internet with great customer service and I was prepared to pay through the teeth to get it. Turns out Mate has all of these, and is one of the cheaper ISPs out there on top of that.

Every CS rep I spoke with was polite, professional, prompt and knowledgeable. Number one compliment I can give is that, if they didn't know the answer to something, they found out on the spot instead of redirecting me or giving misinformation. We'll see if the service is reliable long term, but for now I'm pleased to say I would recommend Mate to anyone. :)

Start DateApril 2019
Connection TypeI don't know
Hi Hannah W, Many thanks for your kind words! Glad to hear that our service team were professional. We hope you continue to enjoy your MATE experience! Regards, The MATE team

Great Customer Service and awesome speeds!

I called in and signed up with a lady named Vanessa, who was very helpful. After being with DODO and being super unimpressed with their service, I decided to try somewhere else. Mate had me connected on a nbn 50 plan wth my HFC service quite fast and since setting up the connection, I have not noticed any issues with drop outs or low speeds. It just works as it should!

Very happy so far, thanks Mate!

Start DateMarch 2019
Connection TypeHFC (Cable)
Hi Daniel F, Wow, what can we say! Thanks for taking the time to leave us this great review. Glad to hear Vanessa was helpful, we will pass on your feedback :-) Regards, The MATE team

Hard to know if it is Mate or NBN but either way my internet connection has been continuously dropping out for 7 months. One of the problems with this arrangement is that both parties can blame the other. In this case I think that the problem lies with NBN.... however... they are not my service provider Mate are! MATE should proactively monitor clients connections and hammer NBN about it before the client gets annoyed enough to do something about it.

Start DateNovember 2018
Contract TypeMonth-to-month
Hi Aaron, Sorry to hear this. Can you please advise your MATE Code/account number so we can look into this issue ASAP? Have you contacted us about the issue? There are avenues and processes we can go through to help try and resolve these sorts of issues, but we can't resolve them if we aren't aware of the problem. Unfortunately, nbn infrastructure is managed by nbn directly and not something we, or any other re-seller, have control over. In saying this, we do understand that issues with connection are incredibly frustrating and reflect poorly on our own service, but we can assure you that we constantly raise these issues with nbn. We look forward to hearing from you. Regards, The MATE team

Excellent again

Great customer service once again in assisting me in connecting my router to the NBN modem. Hate to think how I would have got on dealing with customer service techs overseas (had plenty of that in the past, shudder).

Some recent negative reviews maybe confuse NBN issues with MATE as an ISP. NBN have to "fix" NBN issues, not the ISP.

Data TypeUnlimited Data
Connection TypeFTTC (Fibre to the Curb)
Hi ChrisH, Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review, we appreciate it Glad to hear our support team were helpful for configuring your modem as well! Regards, The MATE team

Amazing Product and Awesome Customer Service!

Reliable, fast service and awesome customer service that sort out any concerns straight away. Super easy to sign up and no lock in contracts. You won’t want to leave though. Thank You Mate Communicate! I recommend your company to everyone.

Data TypeUnlimited Data
Hi Julsey07, Many thanks for taking the time to leave us this feedback! It is much appreciated by the whole team. Glad to hear we have provided you with a good experience! Regards, The MATE team

Does MATE support IPv6 in a dual stack arrangement?
Hi Scott, Thanks for your question. We can confirm we do not support IPv6 at this stage. Regards, The MATE team

At 7pm on the eve of me changing over to MATE, I thought I'd give MATE a call to see if there was anything I should know prior to my changeover. Well, the person I spoke to was annoying. He insisted on speaking over me all the time, and kept reciting over and over that because I was changing over on the 24th, [which is TODAY] there was nothing he would add. All I wanted to know was how will I be notified of my new log in and password and how long would I be without a connection, as it has been mentioned to me that sometimes it could be done within an hour. He almost accused me of lying, and that it could take up to three business days, and that he would review the tapes. He kept talking to me like I was some idiot. I was not amused, and almost threw in the towel there and then. His arrogance was astounding. You could do better hiring more pleasant people to handle your calls. I hope this wasn't a sign of things to come? Have I made a dreadful mistake, as I see others have had a difficult time with your service. Should I have gone to someone else? [639347]
Hey buddy, that sucks, the people I have spoken to have always been great. I can suggest emailing them, they answer really quick and there shouldn’t be communication errors that way.Thanks Phil. I was hoping one of their reps [eg Vanessa S] might be more helpful via here....Hi bobbysdad, We are sorry to hear this. We will have our internal management team review this call as we pride ourselves on our service. Regards, The MATE team

Sign up 11 days ago for home phone adsl to transfer from belong to mate. They to me in beginning within 4 days home phone and adsl be transferred but it’s day 11 still not activated they keep me updated with sms and 3 phone calls and mate said it’s a fault of Telstra and that’s why taking so long but I’m with belong and they use Telstra lines and never had issues with Telstra lines with belong. My mate account is 638608
Hi David, Sorry to hear this. Can you confirm your MATE Code/Account number? 638608 is the incorrect account.639608639608

NBN 12 (Good Mates)NBN 25 (Great Mates)NBN 50 (Best Mates)NBN 100 (Soul Mates)ADSL
Monthly Price $59.00$69.00$75.00$99.00
Service TypeNBN and SatelliteNBN and SatelliteNBN and SatelliteNBN and SatelliteADSL
ContractMonthlyMonthlyMonthlyMonthly