Mazda 2 DJ

• Features
Josephine73
Josephine73Western Australia

Should have stuck with Toyota

Car purchased brand new from a dealer in 2015. Has driven beautifully, quite spacious, roomy enough for the family. Good fuel economy. Great car until last week when out of nowhere, the Variable Valve Timer Actuator died. No power to drive above 60km/hr and definitely undriveable. Car has always been serviced by Mazda and just recently serviced a month ago. Mazda will not rectify this new problem, even though the component should last the life of the car. This appears to be a common problem with Mazdas and with Mazda refusing to fix the issue - look on the AAC website. So $3500 out of pocket even though it's only just under 6 years old. I should have bought another Toyota. No problems with that one in 22 years.

Purchased in December 2014 for $23,000.00.

TransmissionManual
BoughtNew
Testing386
Testing386Sydney, NSW

Super practical hatch!

This is the second Mazda 2 hatch we have owned, and our fourth Mazda.

Decided on the GT after experiencing the benefits of the Vision package in our Mazda 3.
Car is a delight to drive and park.

Surprising amount of storage with the second row folded down. I regularly fit a lawn mower and gardening gear when I have to tend my parents' home. Load area is short though - our line trimmer handle sticks out over the centre console.

The only disappointment is that actual fuel consumption has not matched the claimed figure. We are hoping this will improve as the engine loosens up with more kilometers.
Five year warranty and five year roadside assist make Mazda a safe purchase.

Purchased in December 2020.

Deo Balraj
Deo BalrajPerth, WA

Mazda 2 Automatic 2019

This vehicle is used mainly to travel to the University on daily basis and for local run arounds. This vehicle is very light on fuel and is only 6 months old and the interior still smells like a new vechile. It is good value for money and has 5 star ANCAP safety rating.

Purchased in November 2019 at Mazda Dealers for $19,000.00.

Great little car

Bought new ex-demo. Commute to work great on fuel although a little noisy and the speedo is over on the actual speed compared to the cruise control. Love the reverse sensors they’re a life saver! Comfy and zippy to drive and looks good. I have the dynamic blue colour and always getting compliments. Bluetooth is annoyingly slow and sometimes crap. Sometimes ding sounds from the passenger floor but apparently nothing wrong with it. Overall no major issues but only had it 2 months so far.

Purchased in November 2019 at Mazda Dealers.

Davbarg
DavbargPeel, WA

Has proved to be a great buy

Had the car for 2 years now and could not be happier. Great mileage 6.1 k's per 100 k's average over the 2 years. Comfortable, nippy, great electronics voice activation for phone, navigation, music etc. Cannot say enough about this little beast it is trult phenomenal. Could not be happier.

Purchased in September 2017 at Mandurah Mazda.

Our Latest Expert Car Reviews

Cameron S.
Cameron S.12 Jan 2021
our-latest-expert-car-reviews
jane
janeSouth East Queensland, QLD

Automatic transmission fail.

I Bought Mazda 2 neo 2016 in April 2017 as demo car. The car done only 18000 Km and have major problem with transmission.3 weeks ago when I was reversing there was big noice under car. Took car straight to Mazda, was told transmission slipping. They reprogram on the computer transmission. After 2 weeks the same problem. now car can't be drive.Propably they must replace whole gearbox.Manufactures faulty gearbox. I lost trust in Mazda. I don't know if some Mazda 2 owners have similar problem ?

Purchased in April 2017.

AJB
AJBIllawarra, NSW

Mazda 2 Neo - I love my new Zoom Zoom!

After 6 months of using public transport my Husband finally bought me a car. Having owned a Mazda 2 previously I was keen to purchase another and was not disappointed. With added extra's now on the basic Neo model (rear parking sensors, wing mirror retract button and bluetooth) I was very impressed. Also managed to get floor mats thrown in at no extra cost. I bought the manual as it was cheaper.
I use daily for a 20 minute drive to/from work and running errands at weekends. No issues so far, I am very happy with my new car.

Purchased in March 2019 at Mazda Dealers for $15,888.00.

Snooky
Snooky

MAZDA 2 RULES!

Purchased in September 2015.

Bec
BecGold coast

Great little car!

Buying this car was definitely a great decision. I bought it brand new and have not had a single problem with it for 4 years now.
Great fuel economy. Surprisingly spacious in the back seats. Huge amount of space when you put the back seats down too! I’ve managed to squeeze surfboards, golf clubs and bags in there no problem. A handy little car for all occasions.

BadgeNeo
Date PurchasedOct 2014

Review collected in partnership with Mazda

CatAdelaide

Attractive little car that does a good job

Date PurchasedSept 2017
Matt
MattWoolloomooloo Sydney

Great little car

Great little car that I have found to be without fault in the 5 months I’ve had it. It is very economical and has all the power you need for a city car. Very easy car to handle with all the driver assistance. Love the Sat Nav which has saved me on numerous occasions.

Date PurchasedJune 2018
Taylor
TaylorSydney

Love love love my car

I use my car to commute to work in sydney. Bought the higher model new so the interior is lovely. Very easy to drive and just a wonderful car. Adding front sensors was really handy. Manual model (my preference) very easy to change gears and great for city driving. Overall very happy with Mazda. Odd issue with the NAV that seems to go funny close to service time!

TransmissionManual
Date PurchasedFeb 2014
Lee
LeePALMERSTON

Mazda 2

I just received my Mazda 2 Genki Auto on Friday. I love the dashboard and the safety features. The interior looks and feel posh. It also has the visor. My kids love the gadgets. The safety features are fantastic for the price. The fuel consumption is great and the car drives like a dream. Feels very comfortable and handles well. Great value.

Date PurchasedJune 2018
C.B
C.B

Problematic but still reliable

Cheap to run
Bought brand new from mazda dealer
Was absolutely ripped off in terms of price
Fuel gage constantly taking incorrect readings
Bluetooth system is a piece of rubbish... potential to cause an accident more than using the device itself
Seat belt needed to be replaced as it wouldn’t retract

BadgeMaxx

Date PurchasedMar 2015

Trevor D.
Trevor D.asked
2 DJ (2014-2021)

Has any1 have a problem of Mazda 2 sky active does not want to shut down and keeps clicking under the bonett

Tom's c.asked
2 DJ (2014-2021)

I have a 2018 Mazda 2 Maxx dj. Bought new from dealer. Have some intermittent problems.
Sluggish on take off (lag) intermittent problem.
The other is the auto gears rev up and won't change untill ease off the accelerator or switch to manual then back to auto. The dealer service can't find anything wrong.
Has anyone else had similar issues?

Tammy S.
Tammy S.

Yes, I have also had this issue since about 120000km . But mine is now at 160000km only other issue I had was the aircon bearing wearing out at 150000. I’ve had it serviced every 10000km. My car is a 2007 model

Tom's c.

Tammy.s did you get a fix for the issues I mentioned?

paul a.
paul a.asked
2 DJ (2014-2021)

My friend says her mazda 2 makes a noise when she stops and puts it in park,....Any ideas?

Clark Y
Clark Y

I have the same issue with the back brake especially first thing in the morning or when it is parked for many hours. Have sent my 2016 Mazda 2 Sedan to dealer service center and was told that it was a common issue for Mazda 2 since the back brake is drum brake. They cleaned out the brake dust then it would stopped for a while but eventually the squeaking sound returned. I still have no solution for this issue. Very frustrating.

See all Mazda 2 DJ (2014-2021) questions

Mazda 2 DJ (2014-2021)

Compare all 16 Mazda 2
CategoryCars and HatchbacksCars and HatchbacksCars and HatchbacksCars and Hatchbacks
Starting Price $21,140$23,140$24,150$22,150
Engine4 Cylinder 1.5L4 Cylinder 1.5L4 Cylinder 1.5L4 Cylinder 1.5L
Max Power81kW @ 6000rpm81kW @ 6000rpm81kW @ 6000rpm81kW @ 6000rpm
Max Torque141Nm @ 4000rpm141Nm @ 4000rpm141Nm @ 4000rpm141Nm @ 4000rpm
Country of ManufactureThailandThailandThailandThailand
Manufacturer Warranty5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)
Release dateJan 2014Jan 2014Jan 2014Jan 2014