Mazda 2 DY

• Features

Neomal Perera
Neomal Perera

Gem of a car

Purchased in October 2013 for $9,000.00.

Mike G
Mike G

240,000 km and never had a spanner put on the engine.

Purchased in November 2005 at Grand Prix Mazda for $17,999.00.

Cassie M
Cassie MAU

First car, never had an issue! Dont want to upgrade.

I purchased this car when i just got my licence and 7 year later I still dont want to upgrade. I regularly service it and never have issues with it. Fuel economy is great. Only issue im having recently is the clear coat is coming off my paintwork but i guess that is a sign of age for a 14 year old car.

Engine Size1.5
Date PurchasedApr 2011

Very impressed.

Probably the best small car that I have owned. It handles well, goes really well and costs very little to run. The only complaint is that the radio is difficult to replace with another type. Only in the early 2007 models though. Seats are comfortable and I'm 6ft. Car is quiet, unless you really give it a stir and then the throaty engine sounds great.

TransmissionManual

Our Latest Expert Car Reviews

Cameron S.
Cameron S.12 Jan 2021
our-latest-expert-car-reviews

You can't beat this jewel in his car class. Wife calls it Porsche Demio.

BadgeGenki
Engine Size1.3
kiwidownunder
kiwidownunderAuckland, NZ

A really nice car to drive.

BadgeDemio

Engine Size1.5
TransmissionManual

The Y-man
The Y-manGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Roomy, reasonable economy, decent handling

TransmissionAuto

doesthatmakesense
doesthatmakesenseMelbourne

Mazda2 Hatch 2006

Martin BuckWellington, New Zealand

Got too many problems for me

Engine Size1340cc
Transmission4 speed auto

Runs like a Swiss watch

Have done over 110,000 kms and not a problem. Very roomy back seat, also great load space with seats down and large rear door with low loading lip. I use it mainly around Sydney but have driven to Tamworth and Canberra, and it handles highway speeds comfortably. Very zippy off the mark even with the auto. Economy 7.2l/100km on the highway, just over 8l/100kms around town.
Totally reliable, fun to drive and very roomy
Only complaint is that the small wheels give it a slightly choppy ride on rough surfaces.

Engine Size1.5l
Michael M
Michael MMELBOURNE

Great car and very roomy for its size

We've done 60,000km in it with only a couple of issues so far. As others have said interior is very roomy, I'm 6ft tall and is nice and comfortable to drive, we also have a large dog and she can sit up quite happily in the boot.
We've got an auto and it is still quite zippy around town. Feels well built.

We've only had the following issues with it:
- After springs replaced from suspension recall front end now audibly creaks when being compressed on car park ramps, steep driveways etc.
- CD player got stuck and wouldn't eject a CD for about 6mths then one day the CD just came out and all is ok again!
- One of the engine mounts has worn out and needs replacement
Flexible, reliable, practical car

deb.beaton
deb.beaton

Did a lot of research before buying my Genki. Couldnt have chosen better. Usually travels carrying 3 people and not a problem. Corners & handles incredibly with plenty of get up and go (I have a manual not automatic). Love my Two!!
Everything, great car, great fuel economy, great reliability, and soooo cute

bpmicra
bpmicraMelbourne

Bad

Steve B.
Steve B.asked
2 DY (2002-2007)

I have 2006 Mazda, have had it for years and been running smoothly but yesterday I felt like the car had a hiccup then the AT and engine lights on the dashboard came on. After a minute the AT light was gone but the engine light stayed the whole day. Can anyone please tell me what the issue is? Thank you.

fariha j.
fariha j.

I own a mazda2 (2005 genkii), a thoroughly enjoyable, reliable, feul efficient car, but.... had thecsame issue when i first bought it second hand 3 years ago. The engine checklight would turn on intermittently. My very very reliable mechanic (blunder road, durack, brisbane) lifted it up and gave it a thorough once over. He told me the problem wasn't in the engine at all but in the circuitory of the checklight itself. Once he replaced the said offending circuit.... Voila! No more problems. Cost me $270.

Kylie
Kylieasked
2 DY (2002-2007)

Hi I have a blown head gasket and have a mate fixing it for me but hes made the mistake of not marking where the timing chain needs to be and now hes upto putting it all back together but doesn't know where it needs to line up? Can anyone help plz ??

John
Johnasked
2 DY (2002-2007)

Hi guys 2 questions i have 2006 mazda 2 and i have knocking sensor issue and what viscosity oil is the correct for Melbourne weather conditions cheers

See all Mazda 2 DY (2002-2007) questions

Mazda 2 DY (2002-2007)

Compare all 16 Mazda 2
CategoryCars and Hatchbacks
Starting Price $16,335
TransmissionAutomatic and Manual
Drive TypeFront Wheel Drive (FWD)
Fuel TypePetrol