Medibank Pet Insurance

Pet Insurance Buying Guide

If your dog or cat becomes sick, pet insurance can help get the treatment they deserve. For a better idea of how pet insurance works, continue reading so you can make an informed choice.

Read now
Buying Guide Banner

• Claim Resolution Time
    • <1 week (17)
    • 1-2 weeks (17)
    • 2-4 weeks (12)
    • 1-2 months (6)
    • 3+ months (9)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (42) · No (21)

Jann Bunker

Jann Bunker

Jindi-Jo

I thought the policy was quite good value, however when I made the claim for a new condition I was asked to provide a full clinical history of my cat. This seems to be an unnecessary imposition.

Number of Pets4 pets
MedibankMedibank

Hi Jindi-Jo, thanks for your review and feedback. We are always working to improve our services, so your comments are greatly appreciated. If there is anything we can help you with, please reach out via DM. Thanks, Jade

chrissie2640

chrissie2640Murray Region, NSW

WORST PET INSURANCE EVER

I put in a simple , one off claim for one of my Cats , of less than $300 .
All information was provided and The Vet sent their Report.
Medibank Pet Insurance kept asking for more and more information and there was no other information to give .
I kept ringing them and it was like talking to a broken record .
They finally paid it .
The stress on me was enormous because it was so frustrating.
I have now cancelled my Pet Insurance and will NEVER take out Pet Insurance again , as I cannot go through the stress of making a claim ever again

Total waste of money, for what you get back , and not worth the enormous stress it placed on me .
I will be putting money into the Bank instead .

Number of Pets4 pets
MedibankMedibank

Hi Chrissie, I’m really sorry to read of your experience with your Pet insurance policy. We appreciate the time you’ve taken to lodge your feedback. If there is anything we can help you with, please let us know. - Jade

Renzo A.

Renzo A.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

not much value

I've been paying insurance permiums for 7 years now and had no ability to make any claims due to all their exclusions. I'm going to cancel my insurance as I find no value in keeping it. I'm better off saving my premium money and paying for medical expenses as they arise.

MedibankMedibank

Hi Renzo, I’m sorry to hear you haven’t been finding value in your policy. If there is anything we can help you with, please let us know. - Jade

Do not recommend!!

Do not recommend. Difficult to deal with. Slow to reimburse claims and require multiple follow up phone calls. Significant premium price increases, most recently by one third. Only positive is that it is easy to submit a claim through the portal.

MedibankMedibank

Hi Faye, I'm sorry to hear you've had to follow-up multiple times on your claims. If there is anything we can help you with, please feel free to reach out here, via a private message, and we would be happy to assist. Kindly, Jade

Faye

Is it private if I reply here? If not please contact me at faye.rada@hotmail.com

Faye

For those reading, I have not been further contacted by Medibank. I attempted to call them again today and was hung up on. Customer service and care is non-existent. I repeat - do not purchase this insurance policy.

ChrissySouth East Queensland, QLD

Two many exemptions

Chrissy

I will phone tomorrow as I spoke to my vet yesterday who advised me there is a claim that was treated all as dental care but parts of it was not dental. I did not get reimbursed any costs because of this assumption.

M Rivarola

M RivarolaWoden 2606, ACT

Good customer care, easy to claim, assessments completed promptly

The Medibank Pet Insurance pet portal was intuitive to use, submitting claims was easy and hassle free, assessments were completed quickly and payments made promptly. They were there for my pup and I when cancer treatment was needed and covered a substantial part of expenses incurred. I always received responses to my email enquiries and was kept up to date with my claims via text. I would use them again if/when I have another dog. Thanks Medibank Pet Insurance!

Steffie

Steffie

Happy with it but price increase for premium and some exclusions

Easy to set up, claims were generally processed quickly. Have been with them for 1 year with for my puppy - he had a couple of accidents and we were mostly covered.

Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Claim DateOctober 2020
Carol

CarolGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Just don’t even consider!

Hi Carol,
I am sorry to read of your experience with our Pet Insurance. I just sent you a private message asking a few more details. Thanks, Anna

Delia S

Delia SSydney

If I could give a ZERO star, I WOULD! Don't start with Medibank otherwise you are STUCK for the life of your pet!

- Commence insurance back in 2018 for $71 per month
- 2020 price has hiked to $95 with absolute NO clear and justified explanation as to why it is more expensive to what was offered on the website. I was told: price of vet around my post code, age of the dog, previous history of the dog ever since joining medibank.
- Called to ask for a discount or reduce policy, was told if I were to do that or move to another supplier. Another supplier will deem my previous claim as a pre-conditioned issue. So basically im stuck.

Do not start with Medibank UNLESS you are prepared to be there for the life of your pet because they know YOU ARE STUCK!

Claim Resolution Time3+ months
Claim DateFebruary 2020

Hi Delia,

Find out how Medibank Pet Insurance compares to other Pet Insurance

Worst insurance ever I have dealt with.

They come up with a lot when it comes to claiming, I was told I can’t make any changes to my policy until the anniversary date. I wouldn’t recommend medibank pet insurance and would score below 1 if possible.

Amberry91

Amberry91Queensland

Trying to cancel. Still haven’t been successful

The policy was chosen as it had the most competitive price for service at the time.
We have had a few claims with our accident prone dog. Their online claims portal is easy to use and upload documents.
The hard part is when it comes to settling the claim. The latest one took over 4 weeks for them to settle. This included calling to follow up. They are only available during business hours. Which can be a bit tricky to be able to sit on hold when you also work business hours.
Currently trying to cancel policy so we can go to RSPCA pet insurance. They are only open business hours and every time we call we get placed on hold for long periods of time for the call to be disconnected.
We are now trying to email to cancel..
Wouldn’t recommend.

Andrew W.

Andrew W.South East Queensland, QLD

Have top cover for my pets at Medibank refused a claim for blood test. Don’t recommend Medibank Andrew Williams

Been with Medibank Pet insurance for over 10 years. First blood test for hyper thyroidism rebate as expected. Second blood test For hyper thyroidism with no rebate as they Medibank called it a blood screen. It was actually a second blood test. Don’t recommend as it appears they use word screening to get out of paying rebate when it was actually a blood test. Andrew Williams

Claim DateOctober 2020
MedibankMedibank

Hi Andrew, I’m sorry to read your second claim wasn’t paid. I’ve just sent you a private message to grab some details and escalate this for you. – Jade

IanW

IanWMelbourne

Ultimately not very good

Claim ApprovedNo

Buddy J.Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

Crazy increased premium....

We are with Medibank pet insurance since 2018. We've just got email from them regarding the renewal of our policy. When we read it, we're shocked.
Our current annual premium is $771. But, new premium is $1000.
It's crazy increase with no detailed explanation. I understand why Medibank pet insurance has very low review rating. If you don't want crazy increased premium, avoid this company.

MedibankMedibank

Hi Buddy, I'm really sorry to read you're unhappy with your Medibank covers. If you'd like to reply to our private message with your details, we would be happy to escalate your complaint. Kindly, Jade

Patricia

PatriciaGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Excellent. Easy to claim and fast approval

My 16 weeks old Toy Poodle had an accidental fracture that needed a very expensive surgery to repair. Medibank has been amazing and we couldn’t recommend the ultimate policy high enough. After paying more that $5000 in Vet Fees ( surgery, overnight stays, medication etc) a claim was made and 80% of what we paid was back in our back account within 48hs of submission. Very Happy Customers.

Jennifer

Jennifer

Paying of a claim

Worst company I have ever dealt with, keep saying bank is rejecting the money they owe me, have rung at least 8times, get nowhere with them. Always an excuse. Have been with company for 10 years, I want want I am entitled to.

Claim ApprovedNo
MedibankMedibank

Hi Jennifer, I’m so sorry to read of the issues you have had with your claim. I have just send you a private message to grab some details. Kindly, Jade

SMOO

SMOOSouth East Queensland, QLD

Charging after the pet has been Euthanised

The last claim clearly states "final vet trip- euthanasia", which was approved, paid and recorded against the policy yet they choose to carry on deducting premiums for a dead pet??

Pet Type(s) InsuredCat and Dog
MedibankMedibank

Hi there, I’m really sorry to hear your pet has passed away. I have just sent you a private message, to grab some details and escalate this for you. Kindly, Jade

Anne J

Anne JPerth, WA

Fantastic service when we needed it most

Mick K.

Mick K.Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

This has kept my dog alive and me not broke, Must have for any pet lover.

Good value, No hidden clauses, Just good fast service and reimbursement without any hassle. Noone should be without it. With high costs for medical services you will save in the long run.

Number of Pets-1 pets
Claim DateAugust 2020
Krystene

KrysteneGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Very easy to claim, great communication not hassle

Claim DateJuly 2020