Medibank Pet Insurance

• Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks (10) · <1 week (7) · 2-4 weeks (6) · 3+ months (5) · 1-2 months (1)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (18) · No (12)

scraig40

scraig40Illawarra, NSW

Don't Touch it!!

I strongly recommend anyone looking for decent pet insurance - look anywhere else. I have attempted to make 2 claims over the past 2 years, neither one expensive, but the amount of hoops they make you jump through to make your claim is discouragement enough. If I do not get my second claim approved which is only for consultations fees I fully intend taking the issue to Pet Insurance Australia and to the Financial Services Ombudsman. Then I plan to withdraw, not just from Medibank Pet Insurance, but also from Medibank Private - where I am a foundation member.

Claim DateJanuary 2020

Lorraine Patricia

Lorraine PatriciaAdelaide

Very expensive policy for what you actually receive ....

I am so disappointed with MBP Pet Insurance. The older my dog becomes the more I have to pay for his policy. Now I am paying more for his policy than I pay for my own Gold Cover MBP Hospital and Extras insurance. They state exclusions if they feel that too many people for claim for this illness. I would be better off putting aside the money in a savings account .... I pay so much for the policy and yet I hardly claim ... I should be rewarded for this but of course I am not. I am now waiting for them to refuse my last claim. Shame shame on MBP pet insurance. Next year I will not be able to afford the premium. I would not recommend MBP pet insurance or any pet insurance that is underwritten by Pet Secure.

Claim DateJanuary 2020

I wish to further state that I have Gold Paw Cover not Essentials Cover .... which makes it even more disappointing in this instance.

CrystalW.

CrystalW.Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

Straight forward and easy process

Have had the basic essential care policy for two years. After reading the pds and comparing with other insurers, it offered the most coverage for an older cat.
Not long after I insured my cat, he was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism which requires extensive treatment and testing. Each and every claim has been easy and quickly processed. I have been really amazed at how straight forward everything has been.
I am about to go for a more permenant treatment which could cure my cat's illnesx (radioactive Iodine) which should hopefully be covered, but I guess I'll have to see how it goes.

Pet Type(s) InsuredCat
Claim Resolution Time<1 week
Kelly Jean

Kelly JeanNsw, 2210

Inconsistent Information from online to contact centre operators

Inconsistent information given by call centre staff.

The pet portal FAQ claims 10 Business days max for claims to be processed. What they fail to mention is then apparently you have another 3-5 business days to reach your bank yet they can’t tell you when it has hit the bank.

Staff need better training to understand their systems instead of giving incorrect information. I am still waiting for a Claim that was submitted mid December 2019

They put the prices up yet the service level decreases

Claim DateDecember 2019

Hi Kelly,
I am sorry to read of your recent experience with our Pet Insurance over the phone. We’d like to get some more information and look into that for you, I just sent you a private message asking for a few more details.
Anna

Absolutely disgusted with Medibank Pet Insurance!!!

Helen
Helen

Thanks Helen, I just replied to your private message. - Anna

Mel

MelBrisbane

Is this a joke??

You have increased my premium by $500 this year!! Surely this is a joke!! How can you justify charging me $1750 premium per year for my dog. That’s more than my own personal health insurance.

Shame on you Medibank. I understand premiums go up but this is absolutely disgusting. Definitely a strategy to kick older dogs out of your company.

Don’t bother responding with your generic message about sending me a private message, I’m not interested, I won’t answer, and I’ve already sent an email to cancel my policy.

For anyone out there reading these reviews because they are considering joining this company I implore you not to. It is simply not worth the hassle and expense in dealing with them. Trust me, I’ve dealt with them for years.

Hi Mel,
I am sorry your yearly premium increased by $500. We’d love to look into that for you. I just sent you a private message.
Anna

Terrible company-worst customer service Ive ever received

For two years I have been trying to register for their online portal. I have sent countless emails, spoken to customer services officers on the phone, sent so many screenshots, and no one has been able to resolve this simple issue. I have wasted so many hours on this and still no resolution in sight. Not happy.

Julia

JuliaSouth East Queensland, QLD

What a dud service!

I spent months of backwards and forwards communication regarding a claim on my cat for bladder surgery. Three times that sent correspondence asking for the same documents! After spending hours of my life on the phone, photocopying and having to verify the truth, my claim was rejected anyway on a so-called pre-existing condition! Why did not they say this in the first place and I would not have wasted my time and energy. Its a dud service and I am better off putting the $1000 a year aside instead of dealing with such incompetents. Ive cancelled my policies.

Pet Type(s) InsuredCat and Dog
Hania Norman

Hania NormanSydney, NSW

Vaccinations and check up NOT covered

Claim DateSeptember 2019
Angela

AngelaPerth, WA

Scam and claim isnt fairly assessed; cannot speak with claim team.

Hi Angela,
I am sorry your recent Pet Insurance claim got rejected. I just sent you a private message asking for a few more details. Wed love to get this resolved for you as soon as possible. Thanks, Anna

JessPerth, WA

Zero value or benefit

I have spent $80+ per month for 11 years for my gorgeous doggo. That's over $10,500 in insurance over the years and have received $140 back in claims. Total.

It is a total scam, and a waste of money. I should have put my money aside each month and self insured in case something happened.

I will be cancelling now, as she is at the age where she won't cope with treatments and surgeries should a big event occur, and I have zero faith that any claim in that circumstance will be paid since none have been paid in the past decade. Wish I bailed on this cover years ago.

The claim process is tedious and they send updates via mail instead of through the dashboard.

it's all just crap.

Hi Jess,
I am sorry to hear you dont see any value in your cover. I just sent you a private message asking for a few more details.

Jess

$10,500 vs $140 returned in claims. You'd be hard-pressed to find ANYONE who sees any value in that. I'm sure you think it's fantastic!

Wendy

WendyPerth, WA

Total Rip Off

Claim DateOctober 2019
Medibank P.Medibank

I would never do it again. Waste of money

When I fist applied I had full cover on cruciate ligament. They change the policy with out telling me three years in and I didn't read it as I thought it was the same. The operation cost me $4300 and I got $2700 back but it took months and it was hard. Not one phone call. service is horrible. I have not claimed anything else as the way the break up the fees when you do to the vet it doesn't allow for it. Do not use Medibank. Next time I will put money away each month.

Hi Bondi,
I am sorry to hear of your recent experience with our Pet Insurance. I just sent you a private message asking a few more details.

Kdb96

Kdb96Sydney, NSW

Complete waste of money

Have spent thousands on my dog in the past few years and I havent been able to claim a cent. After a few recent treatments procedures I have been sent a request for lengthy paperwork and history which is just ludicrous.

Hi there,
I am sorry you haven't been able to claim any of the claims you've submitted with our Pet Insurance. I just sent you a private message asking for a few more details.

Jan S

Jan SGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Amazing service

I had a lot of trouble claiming online with Medicare pet insurance. Ariel was incredibly patient and helpful while talking me through the process. Thanks so much Ariel for your generous help.

Claim DateOctober 2019

OnlineShopper11Toowoomba, Queensland

How things change...

Hi there,
I am sorry to hear your premium increased by 40%. I just sent you a private message asking you to confirm a few more details. Thanks, Anna

OnlineShopper11

Not as sorry as I was, believe me. I fail to see how confirming my details is going to change the situation, so I won't bother thanks.

Absolutely shocked at 40% increase

While I understand that there will be a premium increase as my dog ages, he turned 11 in September, I have been astounded by an increase that is just over 40%.This also happened without any prior notification being received, apparently an email was sent but didn't arrive at my end, so now that the first monthly installment has been debited I am now locked in for a further 12 months.Be aware , I knew that there would be an increase, but 40% is hard to take, I feel that this is done because they know that you can't change insurers with an aged animal.Not happy, I would definitely not use Medibank Pet Insurance again.

Very disappointed

I have both two dogs with the medibank pet insurance for 10 years, the claim was reasonable. The first dog past away in Feb and they refunded me the remaining monthly fee from the day he past away. My second dog past away on the 4th Sep. I contacted them on the 24th Sep and try to terminate his insurance. I thought the termination date is the date he past away, However, they said they can terminate the insurance from the 18th because that's my payment date. Even I can send them the proof from vet. They just rejected to consider that. Means I am paying for the insurance with a past away dog. Very disappointed of what just experienced. I have rescue a dog last month but I may not choose medibank anymore.

Hi Karl,
I am sorry to hear about your experience with cancelling your Pet Insurance.
We’d love to look into this for you. I just sent you a private message asking for a few more details. Thanks, Anna

Pickles

PicklesPerth

Update: new condition and excellent service

Claim Resolution Time<1 week

Carole P.

Carole P.Perth, WA

Don't waste your money!!!

The policy was easy to set up and have been with Medibank Pets for a few years now. Every time I put in a claim I usually have to back this up with a phone call because they don't want to pay for anything. Sometimes I have quoted directly from their policy booklet and then they have paid.

They cover the bear minimum. In the last year I have spent $7235 on my dog, including the insurance. I have received back approx $425. It is worth me saving the $1700 per year and using that to pay a third of the costs of the vet bills. I have just put my last lot of claims through and I will be terminating my insurance.
Don't waste your money and go with someone that doesn't query every single claim.

Claim DateSeptember 2019

Hi Carole,
I am really sorry to hear about your experience with our Pet Insurance. I just sent you a private message asking for a few more details. Thanks, Anna