Medibank Pet Insurance

Pet Insurance Buying Guide

If your dog or cat becomes sick, pet insurance can help get the treatment they deserve. For a better idea of how pet insurance works, continue reading so you can make an informed choice.

Read now

• Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks (16), <1 week (16), 2-4 weeks (10), 3+ months (9) and 1-2 months (4)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (37) · No (21)

Delia S

Delia SSydney

If I could give a ZERO star, I WOULD! Don't start with Medibank otherwise you are STUCK for the life of your pet!

- Commence insurance back in 2018 for $71 per month
- 2020 price has hiked to $95 with absolute NO clear and justified explanation as to why it is more expensive to what was offered on the website. I was told: price of vet around my post code, age of the dog, previous history of the dog ever since joining medibank.
- Called to ask for a discount or reduce policy, was told if I were to do that or move to another supplier. Another supplier will deem my previous claim as a pre-conditioned issue. So basically im stuck.

Do not start with Medibank UNLESS you are prepared to be there for the life of your pet because they know YOU ARE STUCK!

Claim DateFebruary 2020
Claim ApprovedYes

Worst insurance ever I have dealt with.

They come up with a lot when it comes to claiming, I was told I can’t make any changes to my policy until the anniversary date. I wouldn’t recommend medibank pet insurance and would score below 1 if possible.

Amberry91

Amberry91Queensland

Trying to cancel. Still haven’t been successful

The policy was chosen as it had the most competitive price for service at the time.
We have had a few claims with our accident prone dog. Their online claims portal is easy to use and upload documents.
The hard part is when it comes to settling the claim. The latest one took over 4 weeks for them to settle. This included calling to follow up. They are only available during business hours. Which can be a bit tricky to be able to sit on hold when you also work business hours.
Currently trying to cancel policy so we can go to RSPCA pet insurance. They are only open business hours and every time we call we get placed on hold for long periods of time for the call to be disconnected.
We are now trying to email to cancel..
Wouldn’t recommend.

Claim Resolution Time1-2 months

Andrew W.

Andrew W.South East Queensland, QLD

Have top cover for my pets at Medibank refused a claim for blood test. Don’t recommend Medibank Andrew Williams

Been with Medibank Pet insurance for over 10 years. First blood test for hyper thyroidism rebate as expected. Second blood test For hyper thyroidism with no rebate as they Medibank called it a blood screen. It was actually a second blood test. Don’t recommend as it appears they use word screening to get out of paying rebate when it was actually a blood test. Andrew Williams

Claim DateOctober 2020
MedibankMedibank

Hi Andrew, I’m sorry to read your second claim wasn’t paid. I’ve just sent you a private message to grab some details and escalate this for you. – Jade

IanW

IanWMelbourne

Ultimately not very good

Buddy J.Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

Crazy increased premium....

We are with Medibank pet insurance since 2018. We've just got email from them regarding the renewal of our policy. When we read it, we're shocked.
Our current annual premium is $771. But, new premium is $1000.
It's crazy increase with no detailed explanation. I understand why Medibank pet insurance has very low review rating. If you don't want crazy increased premium, avoid this company.

MedibankMedibank

Hi Buddy, I'm really sorry to read you're unhappy with your Medibank covers. If you'd like to reply to our private message with your details, we would be happy to escalate your complaint. Kindly, Jade

Patricia

PatriciaGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Excellent. Easy to claim and fast approval

My 16 weeks old Toy Poodle had an accidental fracture that needed a very expensive surgery to repair. Medibank has been amazing and we couldn’t recommend the ultimate policy high enough. After paying more that $5000 in Vet Fees ( surgery, overnight stays, medication etc) a claim was made and 80% of what we paid was back in our back account within 48hs of submission. Very Happy Customers.

Paying of a claim

Worst company I have ever dealt with, keep saying bank is rejecting the money they owe me, have rung at least 8times, get nowhere with them. Always an excuse. Have been with company for 10 years, I want want I am entitled to.

Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
MedibankMedibank

Hi Jennifer, I’m so sorry to read of the issues you have had with your claim. I have just send you a private message to grab some details. Kindly, Jade

SMOO

SMOOSouth East Queensland, QLD

Charging after the pet has been Euthanised

The last claim clearly states "final vet trip- euthanasia", which was approved, paid and recorded against the policy yet they choose to carry on deducting premiums for a dead pet??

Pet Type(s) InsuredCat and Dog
MedibankMedibank

Hi there, I’m really sorry to hear your pet has passed away. I have just sent you a private message, to grab some details and escalate this for you. Kindly, Jade

Anne J

Anne JPerth, WA

Fantastic service when we needed it most

Mick K.

Mick K.Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

This has kept my dog alive and me not broke, Must have for any pet lover.

Good value, No hidden clauses, Just good fast service and reimbursement without any hassle. Noone should be without it. With high costs for medical services you will save in the long run.

Number of Pets-1 pets
Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim DateAugust 2020
Krystene

KrysteneGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Very easy to claim, great communication not hassle

Mikaela

MikaelaPerth, WA

Not informed of policy renewal

MedibankMedibank

Hi Mikaela, I’m really sorry to read of your recent experience with our Pet Insurance team.
I have just sent you a private message to grab some details and escalate your complaint.
Kindly, Jade

MJ K

MJ KAdelaide

Terrible pet insurance. Inferior PDS.

Recently, I claimed for my pet's cruciate ligament. My certificate shows annual limit for cruciate is $2600.
But, they paid just $2400. They said it includes $200 excess fee. But, PDS and certificate doesn't show that any excess fee applies to sub-limit. When I asked, they said Benefit limit and sub-limit are same. If they are same, they must cover more. My Benefit limit is $15000.
Also, annual vet consultation fee limit is $300. But, there is no details how I can claim it and when I can claim it. I believe their PDS is really inferior. I will escalate this issue to AFCA.

Mango

MangoSydney Surrounds, NSW

Did anything they could to get out of having to pay

Hi there,
I am sorry to read of your your recent experience with our Pet Insurance. I just sent you a private message asking for a few more details.

Ymint

YmintSydney Surrounds, NSW

Not worth the money

Pet Type(s) InsuredCat
MedibankMedibank

Do not touch with a barge poll

Don’t waste your money. They grasp at straws to not pay out! They charged me 2 lots of excess for one consult because there were 2 seperate conditions. They should be ashamed of themselves especially in this climate. This is why insurers get a bad name because they’ll do anything to keep your money

Gail

GailPerth, WA

Fantastic insurance cover & service

We insured our beloved late 13yr old dachshund Benji with Medibank! Well what can i say but they have been fantastic throughout our journey with our baby - always there for information when i called, helpful, polite and got the job done. Claims done swiftly, money paid in quickly and without them we could not have given our darling Benji the care and treatment he required in his 13 years in our forever home. I would highly recommend them and if we have another fur baby will most defenitely use them again. Thank you Medibank and also for your kind message after the passing of our beloved Benji....

Hi there,
Thanks for taking the time to provide us your comments and giving us 5 stars.
- Mary

Pet insurance increase by 40% in one month

Would never use them again with our next dog. They increase the premiums by a ridiculous amount because your dog is getting older even though we have insurance for ten years with them on the same dog. Absolutely disgusted. Will change our health insurance as well because of this disgusting act by them.

chou f.

chou f.Sydney, NSW

Ultimate pet care is Ultimate rip off!

Worst insurance in the market. Never again will I insure pet through this mob. Every claim submitted has $200 excess deducted, so am reimbursed sqwat. May as well not submit claim for anything.

Medibank P.Medibank

Hi there,
I'm sorry to hear about your recent experience. I just sent you a private message to see if there is anything further we can do to help.
Hayley