• Claim Resolution Time3+ months (20), 1-2 weeks (18), 1-2 months (15), 2-4 weeks (14) and <1 week (7)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (66) · No (15)
Bernie

BernieDarling Downs, QLD

Great Relief in Time of Need

Our policy was easy to set up via phone in 2019. After using Medibank travel cover twice before, made our first claim ever in 2020. Staff were very helpful each step of the way and within a few weeks, we had a positive outcome. Thank you for acting on our behalf.

Type of ClaimOther

Medibank Travel Insurance Policy purchase in 2019

Easy to purchase our Multi-trip Travel Insurance Policy in 2019 never thinking in 2020 because of COVID-19 we would need to make a claim. Our first claim ever - the staff were professional, kept us informed along the way and refund was received within a short time of making our claim. We have used Medibank Travel Insurance in the past and intend to do the same in the future once we can travel again safely.

Hi Maria,
Thank you for submitting your wonderful review. We’re glad to read of your positive experience with submitting your Travel Insurance claim. If there is anything we can do to help, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.
Thanks, Anna

Lorelle_Smith

Lorelle_SmithSouth East Queensland, QLD

Very happy with the result of my claim

I am a long time member of Medibank Private Health, but this was the first time I had ever used their Travel Insurance. The policy was extremely good value I thought and as it turned out it was a very good investment as sadly I needed to make a major claim. I am very happy with the outcome. When we are allowed to travel again, I would definately use this insurance company again. Sending a 'virtual hug' to consultant Raj S. Thankyou.

Type of ClaimOther
Claim DateJune 2020
MedibankMedibank

Hi Lorelle, thanks for your lovely feedback, we're so pleased to hear you were happy with your cover. If there is anything we can help you with, please reach out. - Jade

Chris

ChrisSydney, NSW

A good outcome

Although I have been a member of MP for a long time this was the first time I purchased their international multi trip travel policy in early February. The service, the features, benefits and savings were excellent at the time.

Unfortunately all our plans were cancelled due to covid-19. I recently contacted MP to cancel my unused policy and ask for a refund when it became obvious that we would not be travelling internationally for some time.

I was delighted to receive a full refund from MB for the total amount paid for this policy. I am looking forward to taking out a new policy with MB when we can travel internationally again.

DestinationAfrica
Claim MadeNo
Jimmy Jay

Jimmy JayAU

Brilliant

Paid our claim quickly staff were very helpful. Our travel agent delayed our claim by not providing the correct documents. But when lodged payment was made in 5 working days

DestinationNorth America (inc. Hawaii)
Insurance Cover ForAdult and Senior
Claim Resolution Time<1 week
MedibankMedibank

Hi Jimmy, thanks for your lovely review. We’re so glad to hear your claim was processed quickly. If there is anything we can help you with, please reach out. – Kindly, Jade

A great experience

This was the first time we have used Medibank Travel Insurance and the first time we have ever had to make a claim. We were surprised and pleased with the ease and result of our claim. Thank you.

Claim DateJuly 2020
MedibankMedibank

Hi Laufer, thanks for your review. We’re so pleased you’ve been happy with your Medibank Travel insurance. If there is anything we can help you with, please reach out. - Kindly, Jade

Excellent customer service

Comprehensive and appeared good value when purchased. From initial phone contact to enquire about a claim it was 10 days and the refund was in the bank account. Initial phone call was a pleasant experience. Speed of resolution within informed timeline. This is the second time we have used this travel insurance company.

DestinationAfrica
Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Type of ClaimOther and Travel Delays/Cancellations
MedibankMedibank

Thanks for your lovely review Robert. We’re so glad you have been happy with your Medibank Travel insurance. If there is anything we can help you with, please let us know. - Kindly, Jade

Thankyou Medibank

Medibank Travel provided cover for our October 2020 Travelmarvel Budapest to Amsterdam river cruise when we booked it in November 2019. Travel marvel cancelled the cruise due to the COVID-19 pandemic and deducted a cancellation fee of $3,165 from our refund. I lodged a claim with Medibank Travel for the cancellation fee and 7 business days later Medibank responded confirming it would cover our loss and the following day the funds were in my bank account. Thankyou Medibank - Wonderful service and you will certainly have our business next time we require travel insurance.

Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
MedibankMedibank

Hi John and Sandra, thanks so much for your lovely review. We're so glad to read of your experience. If there is anything we can help you with, please reach out. Kindly, Jade

Pablo E.

Pablo E.Darwin, NT

Took long but it’s Covid time

Took an absolute months and months and multiple emails and communications back and forth but we got there and let’s say I recover about 75% of the costs incurred from not being able to travel due to Covid. In one claim they dare to ask me to request a letter from the airline on the reasons why the flight was cancelled? Hello! Covid! No one can leave Australia the borders are closed and the airlines are not flying.

DestinationEurope and South America
Claim DateMarch 2020

Wendywoo

WendywooDarling Downs, QLD

Most grateful

Have always used Medibank Travel Insurance within Australia and overseas. Fortunately, never had to claim.
Due to a botched hip replacement I was not able to travel to a remote area in Australia, so claimed the deposit paid. Took a while, but the claim was met. Most grateful and the physio treatment is helping.

DestinationAustralia
Type of ClaimMedical
MedibankMedibank

Always our preferred insurer for overseas travel

Our claim for cancellation refunds for accommodation and airfare, was electronically acknowledged immediately on receipt of our claim. We were advised it would take up to 10 working days, and true to form, we received our full refund on the 10th day. Always our preferred insurer, handled professionally.

Claim Issues

DestinationSouth-East Asia (e.g. Bali, Vietnam, Thailand)

Hi Vicki,
I am sorry it took so long to have your Travel claim assessed. I just sent you a private message asking for a few more details.
Thanks,
Anna

Dave

DaveSouth East Queensland, QLD

Travel during these difficult times is almost Impossible however Medibank has Provided valuable support

Our tour company cancelled our trip and finally offered a partial refund.
We lodged a claim for the shortfall and received payment in a matter of days.
Will be using Medibank travel for all services offered when next able to travel.
Great support.

DestinationEast Asia (e.g. China, Japan, South Korea)
Claim DateAugust 2020
MedibankMedibank

Hi Dave, we're so pleased to read you were happy with your Medibank Travel Insurance.
If there is anything we can help you with, please reach out.
Kindly, Jade

Christina L.

Christina L.Sydney, NSW

This is amazing.

Insurance Cover ForAdult and Senior
MedibankMedibank

Hi Christina, thanks for your review, we're so pleased to read that you are happy with your Medibank Travel Insurance policy.
If there is anything we can help you with, please reach out. - Kindly, Jade

David Ware

David WareSydney, NSW

Excellent outcome in difficult times

DestinationMiddle East
MedibankMedibank

Hi David, thanks for your review, we're so glad to read you were happy with your Medibank Travel Insurance policy.
Kindly, Jade

DKC

DKCGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Claim process excellent

Lodged a claim as a result of the pandemic. Initially thought can't claim because of the pandemic but Medibank Travel Insurance call centre staff encouraged me to put one in. The claim was processed according to the timeline outlined to me. I have used Medibank Travel Insurance for at least 5 times over the last 8 years. Will use it again.

Claim DateJune 2020
MedibankMedibank

We feel that we have been treated fairly and we appreciate having dealt with this insurance.

We appreciate the Medibank Travel Insurance, and it was a good value and easy to set it up.
We have lodged a claim and it was solved longer, because of the pandemic situation.
We have used this insurance company twice.

DestinationEurope, Middle East and South-East Asia (e.g. Bali, Vietnam, Thailand)
Type of ClaimMedical
Claim DateMarch 2020
Rudders

Rudders

GOOD RESULT, FINALLY

An accident in January meant a cancelled cruise in February.
There were delays in processing the claim due missing documentation, exacerbated by the pandemic situation.
Senior Claims Officer Isaac Downey got involved in July, and put in a lot of effort getting the required documentation to finalise the claim in August, 10 out of 10.
Good outcome, thanks.

Leo S.

Leo S.South East Queensland, QLD

COVID-19 PANDEMIC – Claim for Travel Cancellation

This was the first time I have used the Medibank Travel Insurance. My claim came about as the Australian government advised Australian not to travel abroad due to COVID-19 pandemic. I contacted Medibank Travel Insurance and found them easy to deal with and very helpful. They sent me instruction how to complete claim forms online. I provided all documents required to support my claim. Initially it was a bit of a problem but eventually resolved in my favour. I would use Medibank Travel Insurance again for my future travel insurance.

DestinationEast Asia (e.g. China, Japan, South Korea) and Europe

Hi Leo,
Thank you for submitting your lovely review.
We’re glad to read about your positive experience with submitting your Travel Insurance claim. If there is anything else we can do to help, please don’t hesitate to get in touch. Thanks, Anna

Mickyb

MickybGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Do not use

4 previous travel policys and 1st time claim and it gets rejected.
Tour Company goes into liquidation partly due to Covid
We buy a policy months prior to any issue and get $0
Medibank Private Health Insurance 36 years of continuous health insurance with them goodbye MBP hello BUPA

DestinationEast Asia (e.g. China, Japan, South Korea)
Claim DateMay 2020
Claim ApprovedNo

Hi Micky,
I am sorry your travel claim wasn’t paid. I just sent you a private message asking for a few more details. Thanks, Anna

GaryGasked

Travel Insurance

Medibank Travel /Zurich rejects claim, Good to Go /AIG paid identical claim -covid 19 not regarded as a natural disaster
Three of us travelled together and had to return to Australia early after our tour was cancelled as borders were closing due to covid 19. This involved purchasing emergency return airfares. One of us was insured with GoodToGo / AIG travel insurance, the other two were insured with Medibank travel insurance/Zurich. Claims were made to both insurance companies. Both claims were initially rejected because covid 19 is not regarded by them as a natural disaster. Medibank will only recognise geological and meteorological natural disasters not biological ones. AIG subsequently paid the claim under cancellation expenses. Medibank/ Zurich did not pay the claim. They would not recognise the return fares as either necessitated by the covid 19 natural disaster or as a cancellation expense. They say it is an additional expense not covered by the policy even though getting home was a critical part of our trip expenses. I argued that covid 19 is “Natural” and a “Disaster”. The Supreme Court of Pennsylvania in the USA agrees. (Some good arguments in the court ruling if you are in a similar position.) l have made a complaint to the Australian Financial Complaints Authority. I have insured with Medibank travel insurance before. This was the first trip where we needed insurance. Big let down. Next time we will try AIG. My Medibank medical insurance will also be reviewed.

MedibankMedibank

Hi Gary, I’m very sorry to read that your claim was rejected.

I have just sent you a private message to grab your details and escalate your complaint.

Thanks, Jade

GaryG

Following a submission to the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA) which argued that covid 19 was a natural disaster, Medibank/ Zurich paid the claim for the emergency return airfare less the amount for the cancelled airfare which we hope to get refunded by Latam airlines. A fair outcome. The staff at medibank have always been easy to deal with. Interestingly our travelling companion made an addition claim on his AIG insurance which they paid out but took back the money they had initially paid for the return airfare by deducting it from his additional claim refund.

Miss Ibisasked

Travel Insurance

I purchased Medibank private Travel insurance in July 2019 for a trip to Hawaii planned in May 2020.
Due to COVID-19, our flights have been cancelled and am not able to negotiate ANY refund from the owners of our STAYZ booked accommodation.
I've only been given the $300 USD bond back from the $5500 AUD I originally paid. VERY disappointed with STAYZ cancellation policy. It's such a lot of money to lose :(
Can I claim on my Medibank Travel Insurance for this cancellation? I agree with some other reviewers that the COVID-19 notice on their website would indicate that a claim could be lodged and approved. Does anyone know? Thank you :)

Hi Ibis,
I'm very sorry about your experience and we'd love to see if we can help. I've just sent you a private message asking for a few more details. Thanks, Joshua

Thanks Joshua
I have responded to your private message :)

Sue C

Sue Casked

Travel Insurance

Hi there, I have a comprehensive overseas travel policy. I was due to fly to the UK in early March but had to cancel due to illness. I have a doctor’s certificate to that effect. My problem is that I assume that I need to make sure that I do everything I can to mitigate the loss before I make a claim. I had a non refundable fare on Singapore airlines booked through Webjet. I understand that Singapore airlines will offer a flight credit to be used within 12 months of the date of the original booking which was May 2019. I also understand that this deadline may now have been extended - because this is all second hand information through Webjet and it’s very difficult to contact them by phone I haven’t been told this directly. Because of the Covid 19 situation it seems unlikely that overseas travel will be possible for the remainder of 2020 even if airlines survive, so I think I have lost my money practically speaking but I wanted to find out what your policy is in these circumstances. I have been on hold on your ‘contact’ line for 2 hours 15 minutes With no reply which is pretty shabby customer service. I would appreciate any help you can provide. Many thanks, Sue Carter

Hi Sue,
I am sorry you’ve been waiting long to speak to our Travel Insurance team. I just sent you a private message to see if there is anything we can do to help.
Thanks,
Anna

Get an answer from our members and Medibank representatives

Compare all 5 Medibank Travel Insurance
CategoryTravel InsuranceTravel InsuranceTravel InsuranceTravel Insurance
Other Insurance Types Offered Health and LifeHealth and LifeHealth and LifeHealth and Life
UnderwriterZurichZurichZurichZurich
Maximum Age Covered 99 years old99 years old99 years old99 years old
Medical Coverage
Overseas Emergency Assistance UnlimitedNot CoveredNot CoveredUnlimited
Accidental DeathNot Included$10,000$10,000$25,000
Emergency DentalNot IncludedNot IncludedNot IncludedNot Included
Pregnancy (max weeks) Optional cover for 26 weeks26 weeksOptional cover for 26 weeksOptional cover for 26 weeks
Resumption of Journey Not IncludedNot IncludedNot Included$3,000
Hospital Cash AllowanceNot IncludedNot IncludedNot Included$5,000
Overseas Emergency Medical & Hospital ExpensesUnlimitedNot CoveredNot CoveredNot Included
Loss of IncomeNot Included$2,000$2,000$10,000
Permanent DisabilityNot Included$10,000$10,000$25,000
Luggage & Personal Effects
Theft of Cash Not IncludedNot IncludedNot Included$250
Delayed Luggage Not IncludedNot IncludedNot Included$750
Credit Card FraudNot IncludedNot IncludedNot IncludedNot Included
Travel Documents / Passport Not IncludedNot IncludedNot IncludedNot Included
Maximum Single Item Limit $300 (Any Items)$300 (Any Items)$3,500 (Cameras)
Luggage & Personal Effects Not Included$300$300$8,000
Ancillary
Personal Liability A$5,000,000A$5,000,000A$5,000,000
Rental Vehicle Excess Not IncludedNot IncludedNot Included$4,000 plus up to an additional $3,500 as optional extra
Motorbike / Moped Coverage Not IncludedOptional Cover 200cc & belowOptional Cover 200cc & belowOptional Cover 200cc & below
Domestic Pet Care Not IncludedNot IncludedNot IncludedNot Included