Excellent Experience. Simple and Responsive

This was the first time I have used the Medibank Travel Insurance.
I had a hire car issue overseas and needed to make a claim.
Very impressed by the simplicity of the Online Claim Portal. Equally impressed by the very prompt and positive response in settlement of the claim

Type of ClaimCar/Rental Hire Excess
Claim ApprovedYes

So much for brand loyalty

We agree with Stephen's comments published last year.
We have been with Medibank Private for 39 years. We used Medibank Travel Insurance out of loyalty on a number of occasions. The true value of a company is only realised when you need to make a claim. What a wake up!
Took 12 weeks to finalise a straightforward claim. Communication is poor and the constant-will get back to you in 10 days- only adds to the processing time at each step of the claims process. Very Disappointing.

Insurance Cover For:Senior
Claim ApprovedYes
Hi Margie, I am so sorry to hear about the difficulties you’ve experienced with submitting your travel claim. I just sent you a private message asking for a few more details. Thanks, Anna

Beware. Do not recommend. Poorly trained staff and cannot count on being covered when needed.

I thought it was good value at the time however if a company doesn’t deliver then it isn’t It has not been resolved. We have used Medibank once prior for a yearly coverage and our current policy is for a year as well. I don’t feel at all confident in this policy now after our current claim

Claim ApprovedNo
Hi Cheryl, I am sorry to read of your experience and of the issues with your current claim. I have just sent you a private message so we can get some details and have our travel insurance team look into this for you. Kindly, Dave

Bad Customer Service/Lack of Knowledge

I recently took out Medibank Travel Insurance and the level of customer service and lack of knowledge from their team members is concerning.

I emailed the team to query if there would be cover for a lost item, I received an email back advising that this would not be covered and that my item was not classified as lost. There was no reference to the PDS in terms of why this was not covered or the definition of 'lost'.

I then called the team to receive further clarity on the matter, I was passed around to three different people (cold transferred) each time so I had to re-explain my query to then be advised that I would be able to lodge a claim.

Once the claim was lodged, I received an email advising my claim was approved and money would be deposited into my account. I wanted help with the recovery of my lost item not the money to be transferred into my account. The reason you purchase insurance is so that you don't have to deal with any Third Parties when lodging a claim, on top of that I was then advised that they would not provide help with this .

The online quote system is not clear as to the limits that apply and I still have not heard back from anyone in regards to my concerns/experience.

Type of ClaimLost/Stolen Property
Claim ApprovedYes
Hi There, Thanks for taking the time to get in touch and let us know your feedback. We are terribly sorry to read that you have not received the customer service you deserve. We have just popped you a private message so we can follow this up for you. Please reply there so we can further assist. Kindly, Keara

One year later

I took out insurance for a holiday and before we left my daughter found out she has leukaemia and needed chemo and radiation, and a transplant urgently, I put in a claim for airfares and after one year I have been paid out. Even though it took a year I was very happy with updates.

Claim DateJuly 2018
Claim ApprovedYes
Hi Christine, I am very sorry to hear of your daughter's illness. I am glad to read that your claim has been paid and that you were provided with updates, I do apologise that it took as long as it did. If there is anything we can help with, please don't hesitate to get in touch. Thank you for your review. Kindly, Dave

Ridiculous pricing - bad customer service

I tried to buy an additional policy for my children. Asked five times to speak to the supervisor. On hold for 10 minutes. Double for our son than our daughter!

Claim MadeNo
Hi there, I am sorry to hear about your experience. We’d like to help you with this as soon as possible. I just sent you a private message asking for a few more details. Thanks, Anna

greatservice

The form filling was initially daunting as i am not very computer literate, so I sent all the paper work via registered mail. But I got prompt email response to let me know the documentation had arrived. And when further clarification was wanted I contacted the help desk via phone and the chap on the other end of the line was most helpful. I followed his advice and the whole matter was completed within the week.

Claim ApprovedYes
Hi Jillian, It is really pleasing to read of your positive experience with Medibank travel insurance. Thank you for taking the time to submit your review, we really appreciate it. If there is anything we can help with, please don't hesitate to let us know. Have a great day, Dave

I would like to thank Medibank Travel Insurance for their prompt attention to my claim I am 82 years old and had a very bad fall in China, I required stitches and broke my glasses, very traumatic for me. I called from overseas and Matthew was very helpful and asked if I required any further assistance. On return and completing my form, my claim was approved and within 3 days I received my money. Thank you Rosaria!!!!!

Claim ApprovedYes
Hi Sylvia, I am really sorry to read of your fall, I hope you are feeling better. Thank you for taking the time to submit your review, it is really pleasing to read of your positive experience with Medibank travel insurance. Your feedback has been passed on to our travel insurance team. Kindly, Dave

bad service after basic claim - not recommended

Simple claim after flt cancellation. Rang to enquire about how to claim, went through 3 people. They said I had to get letter from travel agent as package but form online did not contain relevant pages for them to complete. Agent underestimated claim as I did not use here insurance. Suddenly got email that I had lodged a claim despite not , then got email stating they don't do online claims anymore. Lodged claim and two guys called (one at near 6pm) but could not understand them - heavy foreign accent. First sounded like a fraudster as did not know anything about me or my claim. Asked second to call back later but he did not and instead processed claim for $45!!! ($50 excess) ignoring hire cars and refusing food - not worth the effort. Then straight after received email, another guy called stating he was processing the claim! What is going on here?

Made numerous subsequent complaints to Medibank and to insurer - NOT ONE reply. Called today and asked for manager - same guy who processed claim. Unfortunately got very frustrated by their poor service and got angry and advised I would complain to Financial Ombudsman (which I intended). Just received an email that they will pay a bit more - but this is too late and I should not have had to go through this lengthy, stressful and time wasting process for a simple claim. I dread what would have happened if I had had serious medical issues. Now I know!

I will consequently look elsewhere for travel insurance and make sure that it is also not the same underwriter. Disappointing Medibank - a long term customer. Used before but never had to claim - but this is the test and here are the results - fail!

Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim ApprovedYes
Hi Sam, I am very sorry to read of your experience and my apologies for any frustration that has been caused. I have just sent you a message so we can get some details and arrange for a member of our travel insurance team to look into this for you and get in touch. Thanks, Dave

Awesome

I found the overall experience to be pleasant. Reasonable and prompt response. Claim process is straight forward and works. I would highly recommend this product. Keep up the good work!

Insurance Cover For:Adult and Child
Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim DateMay 2019
Hi Sands, Thanks for taking the time to submit your lovely review. We are really pleased to read that you have found the claiming process to be straight forward and effective. If there is anything we can help with, please don’t hesitate to let us know. I hope you have a great day! Dave

Missed Flight - 1st Claimed denied but 2nd approved

I travelled to Europe via KL in May 2019. Due to conflicting flight information between airlines and ground staff I missed my flight and Turkish airlines forced me to pay another ticket (avoid TK airlines - they're the worst!)
I made a claim with Medibank and they denied it. I wrote back to them expressing how angry and disappointed I was with their refusal. Also mentioned how I would swap my private health cover to a better company if they refuse my basic claim - I did not feel like a valued customer at this point!

The following day I received a phone call from a representative. He was very friendly, understanding and I felt he genuinely wanted to help me. My claim was approved that day and 3 days later the money was in my bank account.

Very happy I chose Medibank travel insurance together with private health.

Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim ApprovedYes
Hi there, I am really sorry to read that your claim was initially denied, but it’s great to read of the service that was then provided and that the claim was re-assessed and correctly paid. Your feedback has been forwarded on to our travel insurance team accordingly. Thanks for taking the time to submit your review, it is greatly appreciated. If there’s anything that we can help with, please don’t hesitate to get in touch. Thanks, Dave

Absolute joke - should have saved my money

Missed connecting international flight due to fog. Spoke with 2 x consultants at the time to find out what I was covered. One advised that I would only be covered an amount of $250 which was the same as my excess, essentially meaning I wasn't covered at all. This did not make any sense to me and I requested to speak to a 2nd consultant who stated that I would be covered as the flight being cancelled was out of my control. Based on that information, I organised for an alternate flight.
Received letter stating that flight was only covered for a certain amount ($250). I am now over $2000 out of pocket due to this misinformation.

Insurance Cover For:Adult
DestinationNorth America (inc. Hawaii)
Claim ApprovedNo
Hi Chris, I am very sorry to read of your experience with Medibank travel insurance. I have just sent you a private message so can get some details and arrange for a member of our travel insurance team to look into this for you. Thanks, Dave

As a Health Professional I would NOT recommend this product!

I've been a Medibank Private health insurance member for many years. In addition, I've worked for preferred suppliers with Medibank for several decades.
As such, I decided to take out Travel Insurance with them. What a mistake that was.

Flying into Singapore I suffered a health issue which, given the medical services were unavailable at Changhi at the time, required me cancelling my trip to fly straight home. I fly regularly, and even hold a pilots license, so flying isn't a problem normally.

I contacted Medibank Travel Insurance, and from the moment I attempted lodging a claim, received conflicting information, delays, lost paperwork, and just about every possible delay imaginable.

8 MONTHS LATER, I am advised my claim was rejected, because they feel a matter totally unrelated to actual travel, was considered a pre-existing condition, and therefore voided my claim.

Honestly, as someone who has worked in the Health Profession for 25 years, they tried every possible avenue to delay and misdirect my claim process, and forget talking to someone, because the incompetents gave conflicting advice each and every time I rang them.

Over the years, I've seen the rebate applicable to extras coverage in my health insurance fail to change with CPI, costs blow out hugely in proportion to actual benefits, and generally be a complete over-inflated waste of money. But it's necessary evil, especially travelling, when you EXPECT to be covered for problems as they occur.

However, do NOT expect Medibank Travel Insurance to be there for you when things go wrong. If they reject a basic claim like mine, you have no hope in anything more complicated.

Read the reviews. They're spot on. Go elsewhere.

Oh, and Medibank? You've lost over $10K in private health insurance along with my professional business. All for rejecting a $2500 claim. Enjoy the karma.

Type of ClaimOther
Claim DateOctober 2018
Claim ApprovedNo
Hi Rocko, We are terribly sorry to read that you have had a poor experience when claiming with our Travel Insurance Team. Please know that we never want our members' to have this type of experience. We have just sent you a private message asking for some further details, please reply there so we can see if there is any way we can further assist. We look forward to your reply. Kindly, KearaWas followed up by your travel insurance department. The arrogant and condescending attitude just doesn't end, does it? Their response effectively "Do you have anything else to add that you think might change our minds?" I said "No. I simply want you to know how much business I am terminating with your company." And I am, Medibank. Changing all our private health Insurance to Union Health. 3 covers. $258/month each, after government rebates. I'd put that at over $10K per year. Karma.

Delaying payment technique

I'm writing a review on behalf of my parents. My parents booked a holiday to New Zealand and 3 months prior to departing my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. She had the cancer removed and her doctors advised that she needed to have 20 weeks of chemotherapy, and then 3 weeks of radiation. Her doctors said she was not fit to travel as she will still be having active treatment. We called to find out what we need to do to cancel the trip and claim back any losses. The staff were very nice and told us that we needed letters from specific professionals (oncologist, GP and travel agent) and the exact wording of these letters. Unfortunately they didn't mention that we actually needed the professionals to fill out medibank specific forms. After this, they then needed to access my mothers full health record and obtaining permission with each email response taking multiple days. Once they had gained access and it proved my mother genuinely had cancer and didn't know about it prior to booking the holiday, they then weren't happy with travel agents invoices saying how much money was refunded to us. They now required letters specifically from the individual companies that they had to cancel travel arrangements with. As you can see we are now 6 months in and we have received one part refund. Very frustrating process.

Claim DateNovember 2018
Hi Jared, We are sincerely sorry to read about your mothers health issues and in turn the frustrations they have had whilst trying to claim back on their trip. Please know that we don't want any of our members' to have this type of experience, especially when they are already having a tough time. We have just sent you a message requesting some further details, can you please reply there so we can further assist? We look forward to helping out. Kindly, Keara

disappointment

I am writing a review because I think I need to do this to put this whole lousy experience behind me. I placed my claim in October after having a fall then getting influenza. I was sent the required response of a reply will be given in 10 working days.
Well I was requested to send doctors notes dating back to 2016 which was 2 years prior. I sent the paper work then was told it wasn't what you wanted as it was faxed through by me. It had the doctors information on it. If that wasn't acceptable how was the doctors certificate that I sent with the claim acceptable.
I needed more information from the doctor. This time the dates were more recent. The request was sent to my doctor and an invoice was sent back the same day. We are talking January 30th. As I hadn't heard anything from medibank I rang 3 weeks later and yes they had gotten the invoice. I got the same person I had spoken to about the doctors notes. Steve said yes we have got the invoice and I will pay that now while you are on the line. He said it will take up to a week to be in their bank and then I would hear again. We have the info and it will be passed onto out claims department and you will hear from us in 10 working days.
On the 26th of march they said that my claim was approved for cover. Then they said the cruise department I booked with had to give a refund which had earlier been denied.Ok so I got in touch with them and yes there is a refund. I send that information to you and am now told that I didn't send proof of it being paid into my account and that you don't pay until that is done. On the 11th of April you get in touch for that information and on the 2nd of may the money is paid into my account. 27 weeks after the claim was made. I find this disgusting handling and would not recommend or use your company again. In Steve's own words that's my prerogative. I have never had such bad dealings with any company in my life and hope never to again..
I realise this doesn't matter to you or to Steve in claims but I think the whole process was dealt with badly and I should get the money that I missed out on in interest because you made it so damn hard for me. I do believe you were hoping I would get sick of it and drop it but I couldn't afford to do that.

Insurance Cover For:Senior
Claim ApprovedYes
Hi There, We are terribly sorry to read about your poor experience when making your recent claim with Medibank. Please know that we never want our members' to have this type of experience when claiming on services. We have just sent you a private message, can you please reply there so we can get some further details about your experience and provide feedback to the relevant teams. We look forward to your reply. Kindly, Keara

Medibank Claim Experience

Having top travel insurance cover was definitely not worth my time and money spent. Due to accidental damage to my iPhone and non-reparable nature of it I had to pay $909 at Apple Store in order to have the phone replaced. Medibank gave me $250 in total claim. The biggest joke and insult I have ever experienced. Never again. There is no way I would recommend medibank to anyone.
On top of that, when I called Medibank to speak to an operator in that regard I was confronted with someone answering the phone with rude and unhappy attitude then I brushed off and transferred again to another department which took forever to answer so I hang up in the end. The worst service in all areas. Unbelievable. Seriously.

Recommended

We are a couple who are frequent international travellers. This is the first time I used Medibank Private Travel Insurance. Needed to ring the emergency assistance on a couple of occasions for the duration of our 5 month holiday. The consultant / service officer was helpful on both occasions. The on-line lodgement of the claims was easy to use and straight forward. Advice of their assessment was prompt - within a week of submitting the claim I had received their response. Good communication via email.

Claim ApprovedYes
Hi Anna Thanks for sharing your lovely review. I am happy to hear you found the claiming process easy and that your claim was paid so quickly. If there is anything else we can do, please don’t hesitate to let us know. I hope you have a great day! Anna

Recommended

We have used Medibank Travel Insurance for several years and have made two claims; both were paid out in full.
The first claim, in 2016 resulted from a broken wrist sustained in Amsterdam. We received several phone calls from Medibank both before an operation and afterwards. Each time great compassion and wonderful support was shown. All medical and travel expenses incurred were reimbursed.
The second claim related to a back injury sustained before a trip to Singapore. We had to cancel three days before our departure date. Both flights and accommodation costs were refunded.
Our advice is to provide all supporting documents when claiming online and there will be no delay in receiving a refund.
Highly recommended!

Insurance TypeMulti-Trip
Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim ApprovedYes
Hi there, Thank you so much for your lovely review. We are happy to read about your positive experience with our Travel Insurance. If there is anything we can do to help, please don’t hesitate to let us know. I hope you have a great day! - Anna

Never again

Straightforward visit to Dr in USA for antibiotics and steroids following a bad cold - making us jump through hoops and trying to find any way to avoid reimbursing. Never again.
Update: Claimed in January, still unpaid on 20 May - currently on hold (10 minutes so far) to chase up - result of eventual conversation is that the additional medical information (Dr saying no precondition) not good enough - I will take the matter to VCAT - worth the $65 filing fee

Insurance Cover For:Adult, Child and Teenager
DestinationNorth America (inc. Hawaii)
Claim DateJanuary 2019
Claim ApprovedNo
Hi There, We are terribly sorry to read that you were unwell while you were away. We are also very sorry to read about your poor experience when trying to claim these services. Please know we never want our members to feel this way. We would really like to follow this up for you to ensure everything has been processed correctly. To do this we have sent you a private message to request further information, please reply there so we can further assist. We look forward to your reply. Kindly, Keara

Excellent Product

Submitted my claims form & supporting documents for a lost mobile phone. Medibank Travel Claims Department responded with a notification of approval & payment transferred to my account all within 10 business days. Fantastic customer service. Will use them again in future.

Insurance Cover For:Adult and Teenager
Type of ClaimLost/Stolen Property
Claim DateFebruary 2019
Claim ApprovedYes
Hi J Ong, Thanks for taking your time to share your review. We’re glad to read you have been happy with the claiming process and with our customer service. If there is anything we can do to help, please don’t hesitate to let us know. I hope you have a lovely day! – Anna

Quote please?
Hi John, Thanks for getting in touch with us today. To get a quote on Travel Insurance, please follow the link here: https://travel.medibank.com.au/ . If you have any further questions or enqiuries please don't hesitate to let us know. Kindly, Keara

I have a quote already. How to proceed it?
Hi Martin, Thanks for getting in touch, please send us a private message with your quote details and we will help you with that. Alternatively, please don’t hesitate to contact our Travel Insurance team on 134 190 from 8 am to 8 pm Monday to Friday & Saturdays 9 am to 4 pm (AEDT) for assistance. Thanks, Anna

Got a quote for travel insurance as my yearly paid insurance had expired. The quote had gone up about 15% from the previous year I queried what i thought had been an excessive increase Got no reply Emailed a second time asking for the information to be forwarded onto a supevisor Still no reply Been waiting a very long time Need to speak to or email someone that can actually do something Dissatisfied. Dave
Hi Dave, We are terribly sorry to read that you have not received the customer service you deserve. Can you please send us a private message with your full name, date of birth, address and email address? This will allow us to further investigate this for you. We look forward to your reply. Kindly, Keara

Medibank Travel Insurance - International Medical Only PlanMedibank Travel Insurance - Domestic Plan (Single Trip)Medibank Travel Insurance - Domestic Plan (Annual Multi Trip)Medibank Travel Insurance - International Comprehensive Plan (Single Trip)Medibank Travel Insurance - International Comprehensive Plan (Annual Multi Trip)
CategoryTravel InsuranceTravel InsuranceTravel InsuranceTravel InsuranceTravel Insurance
Contact Number 134 190134 190134 190134 190134 190
24-Hour Phone Contact YesYesYesYesYes
Other Insurance Types Offered Health and LifeHealth and LifeHealth and LifeHealth and LifeHealth and Life
UnderwriterZurichZurichZurichZurichZurich
Maximum Age Covered 99 years old99 years old99 years old99 years old99 years old
Medical Coverage
Overseas Emergency Assistance UnlimitedNot CoveredNot CoveredUnlimitedUnlimited
Accidental DeathNot Included$10,000$10,000$25000$25000
Emergency DentalNot IncludedNot IncludedNot IncludedNot IncludedNot Included
Pregnancy (max weeks) Optional cover for 26 weeks26 weeksOptional cover for 26 weeksOptional cover for 26 weeksOptional cover for 26 weeks
Resumption of Journey Not IncludedNot IncludedNot Included$3,000$3,000
Hospital Cash AllowanceNot IncludedNot IncludedNot Included$5,000$5,000
Overseas Emergency Medical & Hospital ExpensesUnlimitedNot CoveredNot CoveredNot IncludedUnlimited
Loss of IncomeNot Included$2000$2000$10,000$10,000
Permanent DisabilityNot Included$10,000$10,000$25,000$25,000
Luggage & Personal Effects
Theft of Cash Not IncludedNot IncludedNot Included$250$250
Delayed Luggage Not IncludedNot IncludedNot Included$750$750
Credit Card FraudNot IncludedNot IncludedNot IncludedNot IncludedNot Included
Travel Documents / Passport Not IncludedNot IncludedNot IncludedNot IncludedNot Included
Maximum Single Item Limit $300$300$3,500$3,500
Luggage & Personal Effects $300$300$8,000$8,000
Ancillary
Personal Liability $5,000,000.00$5,000,000.00$5,000,000.00$5,000,000.00
Rental Vehicle Excess Not IncludedNot Included$4,000 plus up to an additional $3,500 as optional extraNot Included
Motorbike / Moped Coverage Optional Cover 200cc & belowOptional Cover 200cc & belowOptional Cover 200cc & belowOptional Cover 200cc & below
Domestic Pet Care Not IncludedNot IncludedNot IncludedNot Included
Special Activities Packages
GolfNot IncludedNot IncludedNot IncludedNot IncludedNot Included
CruiseNot IncludedNot IncludedNot IncludedNot IncludedNot Included
Adventure Not IncludedNot IncludedNot IncludedNot IncludedNot Included
Snow / SkiOptional ExtraOptional ExtraOptional ExtraOptional ExtraOptional Extra