3-Door Hatch, 5-Door Hatch
See the Best Hatchbacks in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for Mini? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

• Braking
  • Comfort
  • Features
Geoff
GeoffIllawarra, NSW

Arrogant, Rude, Pushy and don't care, after they get your money, that's Mini Garage Parramatta!

Purchased in December 2020.

Rick
RickMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

The Worst

Adelaide Dealership, is far from helpful.
Excuses for fault of Break Grinding, until they stated it is normal for Mini.
They stated that they did all these things to fix the problem and the Mechanic, which they don't have,
had taken all these corrective measures to fix the problem on the 3 returns back to them, to then receive a phone call from a salesman to tell me its normal?? The worst. No response from Management, Dealer Principal after my emailing them. Terrible CS, couldn't care less.

Purchased in April 2019 for $55,800.00.

Owner of Winnie the Coop
Owner of Winnie the CoopCanberra 2600, ACT

"Winnie the Coop" - What a great ride

I purchased the mini from it's original owner in Feb 2020. The car has been incredibly reliable. I drive it everyday to / from the office and on the weekends take it for longer rides. It's been down to the Coast several times and handles curves very well. The car follows it's regular BMW service schedule and has just rolled 38,000 kms. Loving it more and more each time I drive it. I would definitely purchase another Mini Cooper. If you love to drive, this is the car for you.

Purchased in February 2020.

Jess
JessGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

My mini

I have a mini Cooper s purchased in 2018 new. I use my car daily for commuting to and from work mainly, to run errands and for the occasional road trip. I have been taking it to the mini service centre when the electronics prompt me for a service. There have been no mechanical issues found with the car so far after 2 years of ownership. Love the styling and quality of the product. Only downside is I wish that they would integrate Apple or Android car play soon, without it breaking the bank. Competitors have this on base models! Their own system for integration/app is useless and difficult to use and there's so much more potential.

Purchased in June 2018 at Mini Dealers.

From A.
From A.Perth, WA

Terrible Build Quality And Just A Terrible Vehicle In General

Purchased in December 2015.

Mr Black
Mr BlackSouth East Queensland, QLD

So far so good 2010 R56 Cooper Hatch

2010 R56 Cooper Hatchback

1st Mini for me, Second hand straight swap for a 2011 Ford Ranger (long story, but a happy ending). Happy with it, no issues that I'd complain of. Glad I didn't go the Cooper S, as they appear to have more problems than the basic Cooper.

Daily driver, go kart cornering, but understand that I will have to fork out $$ for servicing, parts replacement and run flats. Lucky I have a mortgage eh!

Happy motoring!

Purchased in January 2019.

Rachel M.
Rachel M.Northeast, VIC

I loved this car until the timing chain broke without warning, causing catastrophic engine failure.

I regularly serviced my Mini and it was less than six years old when the timing chain broke without warning. It was out of warranty and Mini was going to charge me $14,000-15,000.00 to repair the engine or $16,000.00 to replace the engine. They only offered me $1,500.00 for a trade in (initially $500.00). I have since discovered that this is a common problem and a design fault in these that BMW is aware of. Although I loved this car and had no issues until this point in time, I feel devastated as I believe my car to have been worth about $25,000.00 at the time that it broke down. I had hoped to be driving for a few more years before I traded it in for a new one. Google BMW and timing chain faults before you buy these cars.

Purchased in January 2013 at Mini Dealers.

Smart shopping tips to help you make the most of Black Friday sales

Clara V.
Clara V.15 Nov 2021
smart-shopping-tips-to-help-you-make-the-most-of-black-friday-sales
Our Latest Expert Car Reviews

Cameron S.
Cameron S.12 Jan 2021
our-latest-expert-car-reviews
How to be more eco-friendly when you're gifting this Christmas

Clara V.
Clara V.30 Nov 2021
how-to-be-more-eco-friendly-when-youre-gifting-this-christmas
MitchellSydney

Terrible dealership service...good car!

Purchased in September 2018.

lamster
lamsterSydney, NSW

Mini Cooper S Cabrio R52 Sidewalk

Buying a Mini is a lifestyle choice. It afords you the opportunity to join car clubs and meet nice mini people. My Cabrio is a special edition, noting major has gone wrong however I would recommend keeping regular maintenance especially in the oil department. Supercharger is very characterful. Roof works perfectly and is the outstanding feature of this car. This model is the ultimate version of the Mark 1 modern minis designed by Frank Stevenson.

BadgeCooper S
Engine Size1.6L Supercharged Petrol
Date PurchasedMar 2016

Julia
JuliaGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Fast and economical.

Enjoyed ever bit of that car. It is small, it is compact, fuel efficient. The car is comfortable to drive. Has a great pick up even though doesn't need that much petrol. The design from inside is a bit weird, the whole dash board is in the middle, unusual but easy to get used to.

Date PurchasedJuly 2018
Tomislav
TomislavGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

MINI COOPER-MAXI PROBLEMS

Date PurchasedMay 2015

Lauren
LaurenMelbourne

Fantastic to buy from

Bought a 2011 r56 mini cooper, awsome little zippy car. Purchased from Gabrielle motors NSW, were fantastic in their customer service and super responsive communication. Will be purchasing the next one through these guys again!

Driving is amazing 8n the mini, it hugs the road and corners beautifully, ive put to the test too and it handled very well.
Interior is basic but it feels like your in a larger car.. very roomy feeling.
Running cost are cheap as.. 45 to fill the tank and it lasts for ages, have had it now for 3 months and hasnt even done 100,000 ks not a thing wrong with it. Mechanic was blown away by how cheap and easy the car is to maintain.

Engine Size1.6L Petrol
Date PurchasedMay 2018

April
AprilAdelaide

LOVE my Mini!

The driving experience is what sold me on the car, and the compliments are what made me keep it! It has a very low centre of gravity so you feel the bumps more, but going around corners or through the hills is amazing. If you can't get it in a manual....get it in a manual.
The interior is cute, but small. You can fit five people in but I wouldn't suggest it for a long drive.
Reliability is great, tells you if you need to pump up the tiers and running costs are low.

Doors5
Engine Size1.5L Turbo Petrol
Date PurchasedNov 2016
Gregg
GreggSydney

Great car if maintained properly

Date PurchasedJune 2017

Endless Headaches/Sloppy Engineering

BadgeCooper S
Date PurchasedSept 2006

Eca
Ecaasked
Cooper R50/R53 (2002-2007)

Are these models in “s” series a better buy than the later R56 with known Timing Belt issues.? What known problems emerge in the R53 versions after 100k kilometres?

shanexu3
shanexu3asked
Cooper

Has anyone else experienced their Mini taillights melting or catching on fire? I’m a little concerned that if my melting taillight wasn’t noticed in time it could have set the whole car alight causing my house to burn down

Raquel J.
Raquel J.asked
Cooper R50/R53 (2002-2007)

I’m looking at buying a Mini Cooper S 2004 model for my daughter with 85,000km on clock I have read some good and bad reviews this will be her first car are these a good car? Are they expensive to service?
Does this model have many issues?

Mitchell

A pretty risky gamble buying a 2004 model with 85K on the clock. In my opinion, it's not worth the gamble and would be akin to throwing away good money after a bad investment. These cars are expensive to maintain and the older they get the more expensive the maintenance, due to the number of issues that increase as they get older.
Again, this is just my opinion...

Vacublaster
Vacublaster

For a first car I would look at a Honda Jazz, they are cheap, hellishly reliable and a great car. My wife has had one for 5 years and it has not had one single problem. Mini's of that era are unreliable at best and were frought with problems.

Compare all 16 Mini Hatch Cooper
Fuel Consumption5.5 L/100km5.5 L/100km6.3 L/100km5.5 L/100km
Fuel Tank Capacity 40 L40 L44 L44 L
Engine3 Cylinder 1.5L3 Cylinder 1.5L4 Cylinder 2.0L4 Cylinder 2.0L
Max Power100kW @ 6500rpm100kW @ 6500rpm141kW @ 6000rpm141kW @ 6000rpm
Max Torque220Nm @ 1480-4200rpm220Nm @ 1480-4200rpm141kW @ 6000rpm141kW @ 6000rpm
Country of ManufactureUnited KingdomUnited KingdomUnited KingdomUnited Kingdom
Manufacturer Warranty3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)
Release dateApr 2014Apr 2014Jan 2014Jan 2014