12Mini Hatch Cooper

5-Door Hatch F55 Cooper S Automatic
Mary C
Mary CSouth East Queensland, QLD4 posts
  Cooper R56.II

Love this car but the service is terrible

Firstly, I love my mini however, there was a mechanical fault with a spring in the gearbox. I had purchased the extended warranty as I bought it from a local dealer. I only became aware of the problem when all sorts of warning lights started flashing. I called the dealer and couldn't get through. Eventually, after calling and selecting Sales instead of Service, someone picked up....surprise surprise...... anyway, they then put me through to someone in servicing. Once I was through to them, I was told that the issue is a known fault and they would fix it under warranty. Anyway, 1 month later and still no bookin time. Highly annoying! Show details
GeoffIllawarra, NSW42 posts
Rick
RickMetropolitan Adelaide, SA4 posts
  5-Door Hatch F55 Cooper S Manual

The Worst

Adelaide Dealership, is far from helpful.
Excuses for fault of Break Grinding, until they stated it is normal for Mini.
They stated that they did all these things to fix the problem and the Mechanic, which they don't have,
had taken all these corrective measures to fix the problem on the 3 returns back to them, to then receive a phone call from a salesman to tell me its normal?? The worst. No response from Management, Dealer Principal after my emailing them. Terrible CS, couldn't care less.  Show details
Owner of Winnie the Coop
Owner of Winnie the CoopCanberra 2600, ACT
  5-Door Hatch F55 Cooper Automatic

"Winnie the Coop" - What a great ride

I purchased the mini from it's original owner in Feb 2020. The car has been incredibly reliable. I drive it everyday to / from the office and on the weekends take it for longer rides. It's been down to the Coast several times and handles curves very well. The car follows it's regular BMW service schedule and has just rolled 38,000 kms. Loving it more and more each time I drive it. I would definitely purchase another Mini Cooper. If you love to drive, this is the car for you.  Show details
Jess
JessGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC5 posts
  Verified 5-Door Hatch F55 Cooper S Manual

My mini

I have a mini Cooper s purchased in 2018 new. I use my car daily for commuting to and from work mainly, to run errands and for the occasional road trip. I have been taking it to the mini service centre when the electronics prompt me for a service. There have been no mechanical issues found with the car so far after 2 years of ownership. Love the styling and quality of the product. Only downside is I wish that they would integrate Apple or Android car play soon, without it breaking the bank. Competitors have this on base models! Their own system for integration/app is useless and difficult to use and there's so much more potential. Show details
From A.
From A.Perth, WA9 posts
Mr Black
Mr BlackSouth East Queensland, QLD

So far so good 2010 R56 Cooper Hatch

2010 R56 Cooper Hatchback

1st Mini for me, Second hand straight swap for a 2011 Ford Ranger (long story, but a happy ending). Happy with it, no issues that I'd complain of. Glad I didn't go the Cooper S, as they appear to have more problems than the basic Cooper.

Daily driver, go kart cornering, but understand that I will have to fork out $$ for servicing, parts replacement and run flats. Lucky I have a mortgage eh!

Happy motoring! Show details

Rachel M.
Rachel M.Northeast, VIC
  Cooper R56.II

I loved this car until the timing chain broke without warning, causing catastrophic engine failure

I regularly serviced my Mini and it was less than six years old when the timing chain broke without warning. It was out of warranty and Mini was going to charge me $14,000-15,000.00 to repair the engine or $16,000.00 to replace the engine. They only offered me $1,500.00 for a trade in (initially $500.00). I have since discovered that this is a common problem and a design fault in these that BMW is aware of. Although I loved this car and had no issues until this point in time, I feel devastated as I believe my car to have been worth about $25,000.00 at the time that it broke down. I had hoped to be driving for a few more years before I traded it in for a new one. Google BMW and timing chain faults before you buy these cars. Show details
Mitchell
MitchellSydney, NSW48 posts
  3-Door Hatch F56 Cooper S Automatic
lamster
lamsterSydney, NSW16 posts
  Cooper R50/R53

Mini Cooper S Cabrio R52 Sidewalk

Buying a Mini is a lifestyle choice. It afords you the opportunity to join car clubs and meet nice mini people. My Cabrio is a special edition, noting major has gone wrong however I would recommend keeping regular maintenance especially in the oil department. Supercharger is very characterful. Roof works perfectly and is the outstanding feature of this car. This model is the ultimate version of the Mark 1 modern minis designed by Frank Stevenson.

Julia
JuliaGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC12 posts

Fast and economical

Enjoyed ever bit of that car. It is small, it is compact, fuel efficient. The car is comfortable to drive. Has a great pick up even though doesn't need that much petrol. The design from inside is a bit weird, the whole dash board is in the middle, unusual but easy to get used to.

Tomislav
TomislavGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC36 posts
  Cooper R50/R53
Lauren
LaurenMelbourne2 posts

Fantastic to buy from

Bought a 2011 r56 mini cooper, awsome little zippy car. Purchased from Gabrielle motors NSW, were fantastic in their customer service and super responsive communication. Will be purchasing the next one through these guys again!

Driving is amazing 8n the mini, it hugs the road and corners beautifully, ive put to the test too and it handled very well.

Interior is basic but it feels like your in a larger car.. very roomy feeling.

Running cost are cheap as.. 45 to fill the tank and it lasts for ages, have had it now for 3 months and hasnt even done 100,000 ks not a thing wrong with it. Mechanic was blown away by how cheap and easy the car is to maintain.

April
AprilAdelaide5 posts
  5-Door Hatch F55 Cooper Manual

LOVE my Mini!

The driving experience is what sold me on the car, and the compliments are what made me keep it! It has a very low centre of gravity so you feel the bumps more, but going around corners or through the hills is amazing. If you can't get it in a manual....get it in a manual.

The interior is cute, but small. You can fit five people in but I wouldn't suggest it for a long drive.

Reliability is great, tells you if you need to pump up the tiers and running costs are low.

Bree Maclean
Bree Maclean · Cooper

I live In Melbourne Australia, if I brought a Mini Cooper and had to order parts of anything like that would it be more expensive because they parts would need to be brought in from over seas?

Geoff

As Australia has no vehicle manufacturing now I suggest not.The Mini product is a quality item BUT follow the schedules.
Happy motoring

Shelly C
Shelly C · 5-Door Hatch F55 Cooper S Automatic (2014-2024)

Hi there, I have a 2020 F55 Cooper S 5 door. I noticed yesterday that the headlight trims - which are "chrome" - have started to bubble. Has anyone else had this problem?

Geoff

I am unaware of this happening to a couple of friends who have Minis, suggest you go back to the dealer and make a warranty claim. This is a part of the body work and I think you will find its covered

Shelly C

Thanks I am in the process. Was hoping for some news of other people with the issue so I have backup. Cheers

alex2001

Otherwise the chrome surrounds clip off
New are about $100. Clips are a one shot at putting on use only so be very careful putting new ones on. Good luck with warranty claim if in Perth

Eca
Eca · Cooper R50/R53 (2002-2007)

Are these models in “s” series a better buy than the later R56 with known Timing Belt issues.? What known problems emerge in the R53 versions after 100k kilometres?

Compare all Mini Hatch Cooper listings
Fuel Consumption5.5 L/100km4.9 L/100km6.4 L/100km5.6 L/100km
Fuel Tank Capacity 44 L40 L44 L44 L
Engine4 Cylinder 2.0L3 Cylinder 1.5L4 Cylinder 2.0L4 Cylinder 2.0L
Max Power141kW @ 6000rpm100kW @ 6500rpm141kW @ 6000rpm141kW @ 6000rpm
Max Torque141kW @ 6000rpm220Nm @ 1480-4200rpm280Nm @ 1350-4600rpm280Nm @ 1350-4600rpm
Country of ManufactureUnited KingdomUnited KingdomUnited KingdomUnited Kingdom
Manufacturer Warranty3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)
Release date