Momentum Energy

Our contract concluded,we received no notification and were then put by Momentum onto their highest rate!

We were in a contract with Momentum Energy. This contract expired. We were not notified & Momentum then placed us on their HIGHEST Rate. We spoke to Momentum about this to no avail.Further, they never returned any calls as promised & we have had to wait on hold for extended times every time we call. Their phone hold service dose not even place what number in the que you are, or how long you can expect to wait.

Rates and Fees
ServicesElectricity

Long term, expensive, bait & switch pricing

I signed up in August 2016, and the sign up process was smooth, with their rates being the most competitive on the market. The cost was 92c a day supply, 17.1c kwh peak, 16.1c kwh off-peak

Every month they'd email an invoice, and deduct the money from my account.

Then, every year they'd increase the rates, sending out notice by post, that I can never remember including the new rates on the first page, or mention the old rates, justifying each rate rise as being caused by external factors and suppliers.

Until suddenly I'm paying 98c a day supply, 27.2c kwh peak, 26c khw off-peak. My rates had gone up by 60% in two years. Yet, when I check on the website, they advertise a rate of 95c a day of supply, and 18.78c kwh.

Basically, they will raise their rates on existing customers purely because they can, and they rely on customer inertia to keep paying, rather than go through the trouble of switching.

God knows what my rates would be if I stuck around longer.

Switching to another provider was a 13 minute phone call, and I'll save hundreds next year.

ServicesElectricity and Gas
Hi Jonathon. We are sorry you had this experience. Without your details, I can't comment on your situation, but I may be able to give you some reasoning as to what may have happened. Some customers are on contracts with lower rates for a number of years (which is fantastic!). The only downside is that during that time energy prices across the market can move up, and when they come off that contract and their rates are adjusted to current market levels, it can be quite an increase. We do send out a letter before the rates change and encourage customers to check if we have a better plan for them. I'm not sure if this is what's happened in your case, but please pm us your account details and I can look into it. ~ Danielle

Keep Away from Momentum

I signed up with Momentum on Dec 5, 2018. I had checked online, the figures looked good. Phoned and spoke with Mark, went through everything???, advised how much I would be saving and I signed up. Received the docs very quickly. Reviewed the charges and at the bottom was an extra charge 'Metering Charge'. Never mentioned online or during chat with Mark. Just a small additional charge of $2.8277/day - $835 per year.
Phoned Momentum they advised it was a wholesaler charge. Phoned the wholesaler. They advised they had never heard of it and it was nothing to do with them. I immediately cancelled the signup. No apology from Momentum for misleading, maybe even criminal, not mentioning such a huge charge.
Do not go near Them.

Rates and Fees
ServicesElectricity

Rude sales team. Pricing is bait and switch

I got a quote from energy wizard with a really good price. I signed up but then got told no, I couldn't sign up. To make matters worse the sales rep so obnoxiously rude and kept talking over me. I actually had to ask if I could speak.

[name removed] is doing his best to deal with the situation, but I hope he realises if they treat customers and potential customers like this they'll treat employees worse.

Avoid at all costs

Hi John, thanks for the feedback and we’re sorry to hear you’ve had this experience. I can assure you that this is not the Momentum way and we’re eager to see what’s gone wrong in this circumstance. If you could please send us your details and the agents name as a private message or email to info@momentum.com.au– we will look further into this issue ASAP. We thank you again for your feedback - this has now been passed on to our management team. Thanks. - Julian

Ridiculous in every way

They seem to use their own “industry specific” language regarding meter numbers and yet refuse to explain the difference between what an NMI and a the physical identity on the meter itself actually is. I have just received a ‘new’ offer and despite previous complaints about the same issue, they’re at it again. They list what they call an “NMI number” but it in no way resembles the actual number on the physical meter. I have quite literally just checked this meter number myself again 5 minutes ago, same thing, different day! Same with gas bill. Payments that were made direct from my disability pension were not applied to the appropriate account, and every time i tried to contact them and get a resolution they try to refer you to their credit department, but you don’t get to speak to an Australian, but they spin you a line, and expect you to believe it. And yet they want this latest offer to run for another 3 years! I live in unit block and I just want to ensure that I’m only paying my own bill, not someone else’s! How can you know that if the reference numbers they use are totally different to what is physically visible on the meter itself! This applies to both gas and electricity! Currently under review by the Energy & Water Ombudsman’s office. Seriously unimpressed.

Hi there, thanks for the feedback and we’re sorry to hear you’ve had this experience. I can assure you that this is not the Momentum way to confuse or mislead our customers, so we’re eager to see what’s gone wrong in this circumstance. If you could please send us your full name, account number and date of birth as a private message or email via info@momentum.com.au – we will look further into this issue to see how your experience could be improved. We thank you again for your feedback - this has now been passed on to our management team. Thanks. - JulianNo Julian, the entire matter was referred to the Energy & Water Ombudsmans office because your company has been screwing me over like this for the last two bloody years at least. What part of, YOUR company has not offered appropriate responses or explanations and as a disability pensioner I have sought assistance through the appropriate organisation for investigation and assistance with this matter. If you’d been looking after your customer’s best interest you’d prove to me that the references YOU use are the same as what’s on the bloody meter itself. Your “assurances” do not reassure me that I’m paying my OWN bloody bills and not someone else’s!

Fair price on sign up....then it’s all downhill from there

Thought I would try an Australian company as that would seem the norm. All good at the start when you’re switching companies but then the bills just start skyrocketing!! When I questioned the increase as a long serving customer I was told that ‘our rates our the best in the market and we can’t assist with any discounts as you are on our best rate’ BABPAU!!! wrong answer!! When I requested for a quote as a new customer I was baffled and amazed on the difference of pricing!!! And to make matters worse I used the online ‘Quote’ system and used my neighbors house number and it was SIGNIFICANTLY less than mine, plus it’s a bigger home with larger land!!! Just remember momentum....A long term customer is the best kind of customer.

Hey Seanj73, thanks for the feedback and we’re so sorry to hear you’ve had this experience. With any retailer, your rates will increase on occasion due to variations established by your local network or when the renewal of your contract expires. We will always contact our customers before the new rates take effect with other options if you're not wanting to change to the new rates - We’re sorry if any of this was not clear to you. So we can look into this further for you, please send us through your full name, account number and date of birth as a PM and we'll check if we can find something more suitable for you. Thanks again for your feedback and we look forward to your PM. - JulianHello Julian, thank you for YOUR response, feedback and defensive play on behalf of monumentum. Can you please guide me on how to PM you (maybe an email address) so I can assist you for you to find something more suitable for me. Can you also advise myself and ALL CURRENT CUSTOMERS of discounts for our LONG AND EXTENDED CONTRIBUTION. As paying customers its is not only satisfying but also rewarding being acknowledged by a supplier Thank you JulianHey Sean, thanks for your reply. Whilst we can do our utmost to ensure that all customers with Momentum are on the best plan available to them, it isn't always possible to change every customer automatically to the best available plan when there is a renewal or variation on their account. We will always contact our customers before any new rates take effect to give them an opportunity to review their options and choose a plan that is more suitable for their needs. The best email address to get in touch with us is; info@momentum.com.au. In the email, please include your full name, date of birth and account number and we will review your rates ASAP to get you on the best plan available. Thanks again for the feedback and we look forward to your email. - Julian

Terrible Customer Service

We moved into our property over a year ago. When we received the first bill for the property we queried a 'Summer Demand' charge, its been over a year and is still ongoing. We are constantly having to follow Momentum Energy up and get no response back. They also lied to us about sending United Energy a review, this was never done but we were told it was rejected. I would never recommend this company.

Hi JFS21, thanks for the feedback and we’re sorry to hear you’ve had this experience. I can assure you that this is not the Momentum way and we’re eager to see what’s gone wrong in this circumstance. If you could please send us your full name, account number and date of birth as a private message or via email on info@momentum.com.au – we will look further into this issue for you ASAP. We thank you again for your feedback - this has now been passed on to our management team. Thanks. - JulianHi Julian, I've sent multiple emails to Momentum and are still waiting responses.Hey JFS21, unfortunately i'm unable to check this further without any verification info. If you would like us to follow this up for you, please send us through your details via a PM and we can look into this further for you. Otherwise you feedback has been noted with our management team. Thanks. - Julian

Sent overdue bill that's been payed, threatening to turn power off!!!

We were sent a random power bill that has already been payed and we always pay the bill on time. My partner has emailed them proof and spoken on the phone to them a few times with no result and they keep sending a bill that changes in value. They are now threatening to turn the power off if this is not paid but it's a muck Up at their end and we don't owe a cent. Is our next move getting a lawyer in and changing company or can we speak to someone who actually knows what they are doing there?! Disgusting service, we have a life and don't need stupid crap like this to waste our precious time.

Hi Webb, thanks for the feedback and we’re sorry to hear you’ve had this experience. I can assure you that this is not the Momentum way and we’re eager to see what’s gone wrong in this circumstance. If you could please send us your full name, account number and date of birth as a private message – we will look further into this issue further ASAP. We thank you again for your feedback - this has now been passed on to our management team. Thanks. - Julian

Momentum Energy Closed at 1:30pm on a Friday!!!!!!!!!!

I tried to ring Momentum Energy to enquire about a new plan and query a bill which said that we were overdue, despite us having paid it. I rang at 1:00pm on Friday 21st December and was put on hold for 30 minutes. Someone then picked up the phone - and then hung up straight away! I then got a message saying that they were closed (at 1:30pm on a Friday!!) and then another message saying to ring between 8am and 6pm Monday to Friday!! WTH??????

Hi SLW1964, We are sorry you had this experience. On Friday 21st of December we had an unforeseen system outage that impacted our phone system. If you would like to pm us your details, we can arrange for someone to contact you. - Danielle

Incompetent. Stay away.

Signed up online no fuss.

Six weeks later, Ausgrid turn off my electricity without warning, saying that no retailer has been set up for the property.

No wonder the sign-up was no fuss, because nothing had actually happened.

I just called Momentum to see what’s what, and am told that the property’s previous energy retailer had “rejected” Momentum’s prior attempt to establish service. So I guess they did nothing about it, didn’t try again, and didn’t think to let me know.

So, today I’m without power. Momentum said they can turn on the power “no problems” today but at a fee of $140. I asked them to waive or absorb the fee but they’re digging their heels in.

$140 to have a service which they were supposed to do six weeks ago? Right on.

Expensive

I've been with them for awhile but I think there are expensive my latest gas bill over 1000 how ?
I only use the stove and not often and my gas wall heater hasn't worked in 6 months .
My power is the same ,I admit using small heaters during winter ,and I do turn of lights not in use and switch power points off like kettle washing machine etc I should make my landlord pay for the bill my power bill .
Too stressful..

Hey Angel, thanks for the feedback and we’re so sorry to hear this. At Momentum we are focused on creating the best possible experience for our customers as well as providing affordable power to all our customers. So we can look into this further for you, please send us through your full name, account number and date of birth as a PM and we'll look further into why it is so expensive and if there are any better products to save you some money :) Thanks again for your feedback and we look forward to your PM. - Julian

Hopeless

I was overcharged ,when i asked for a better deal they advised they call me back within 48 hours.
Never heard from them again ,they also ignored my emails.
Had to change to another provider which was 25% cheaper

Hi Karl, thanks for the feedback and we’re sorry to hear you’ve had this experience with Momentum. We're keen to look into this issue further and see what went wrong! Please send us your full name, account number and date of birth as a private message and we will check this for you ASAP. We thank you again for your feedback - this has now been passed on to our management team. Thanks. - Julian

Great customer service

Really like this power company - the lowest bills I've ever had, and extremely responsive and thoughtful customer service. Shout-out to Naomi specifically!

Hey Ben, thanks for the great post! We’re always excited to receive such amazing feedback about our services and staff members :) Thanks again Ben and have a great Thursday. - Julian

Sent me the wrong year bill with my old email address

I received a text saying my bill is overdue for couple days last Friday and I rang the customer service to find out. I requested her to email me the bill so I can pay straightway. However, the lady sent me the month period of usage but last year 2017 and also sent to my old email address. I was so shocked when I saw that. How I suppose to pay the period I already paid and now it is in 2018!

Hey Meme, that's no good, sorry for the run around. So we can look into this further for you, please send us through your full name, account number and date of birth as a PM or email and we will check this out for you ASAP. Thanks. - JulianI have called up this morning as well for the correct bill which I will go to pay. Another customer took my phone call and she said she sent out my bill to my current registered email address with momentum. Ok, I thought problem solved so I will pay today! But till now (7:55pm), I still didn’t receive any email from momentum at all. Is that a joke?! I will ring tomorrow as well to find out what is going on! The call today made was at 09:16am this morning.Hey Meme, i'm unable to check this without you sending through the requested info. So we can look into this further for you, please send us through your full name, account number, correct email address and date of birth as a PM or email and we will check this out for you ASAP. Thanks. - Julian

Excessive charging

I requested a justification for excessive charging I.e. price increases over a 5 year period measured against CPI failed to provide.

Good Afternoon Bounce Boy, thank you for taking the time to pass on this feedback and we’re so sorry to hear you’ve had this experience. If you can please send us through your full name, account number and date of birth as a private message, we are more than happy to have a closer look into this further for you. Thanks again for your feedback and we look forward to your response. - JulianIts interesting Julian I already provided this information previously and was ignored. The next step will be ACA and creating my webpage and starting an action group against your company I'm tired of the lip service a d the lies I promise momentum energy will be held to account.Hey there, thanks for your response and we're sorry to hear you feel that way. We are keen to look into this issue further for you, but we'll be unable to do this further without verifying your identity. If you would like for us to assist you further with this, please send us your details via a PM or via email, otherwise your feedback has been noted. Thanks. Julian

Hidden rate hikes, awful customer retention policies

Our electricity plan renewed each year. Whilst all other communication from momentum was by email, they only sent our renewal notice by mail...and hidden in there was a comment that we may be eligible for better rates if we phoned in.

Little did we know that the rates for a new customer on the identical plan that we were on were almost half the rates they were charging us, an existing customer.

We only discovered this once our bills got higher and higher.

We gave momentum multiple opportunities to keep our business, but only if they were to acknowledge the audacity of what they had done and offer some reasonable make-good. This was “not their policy” so we were simply forced to leave.

Have mentioned this now to friends/family and they have discovered the same with their momentum accounts!

Unfortunately momentum can’t claim they are so ethically conscious when they treat their customers as nothing more than someone to sneakily squeeze more dollars from!

Good Afternoon Brett, thanks for your review and we're sorry to hear you've had this experience. It sounds like there was a rate increase on your account either by a network established variation or a price renewal, we are required by regulatory reasons to send this notice via post to advise of the increase. We’re sorry if any of this was not clear to you. In the notice we sent, we did advise of other options moving forward if you did not want to change to the default offer automatically, as we understand the default offer will not suit all people. As we did not receive contact from you – the rates have changed automatically to our standing offer per the contracted terms and conditions when signing up with Momentum, which was also highlighted in the renewal letter and your original welcome pack. If you can please send us through your full name, account number and date of birth as a private message, we are more than happy to have another look into this further for you. Thanks again for your feedback and we look forward to your response. - JulianThanks for your reply Julian but I won’t worry about sending you my details...I’m very glad to no longer be a Momentum customer! It doesn’t matter how many times Momentum repeats the whole “you were notified in a letter you probably never read” or “it’s deep down in our terms and conditions that we can do this”...the very fact that THE EXACT SAME PLAN was being offered to new customers at half the price that an existing customer’s was hiked-up to is all that matters. I’m amused by your comment that Momentum wouldn’t automatically grant us the lower rate “as the rate might not suit all people”...ha! You’re right, we much prefer paying double for the same thing!

Very decent supplier.

I have had my mains and solar power handled by Momentum for several years and have no complaints. Their support people are easy to deal with and their prices are very reasonable. I had a couple of years where I thought the annual price hike was unreasonable but was able to haggle it down by phoning them and quoting a better rival price. That hasn't happened for a few years though and their prices are good compared to other offers I've looked at.

Hi Hugo, thanks for the wonderful feedback. You're very welcome to call us and see what we've got on offer at any time. - Danielle

Bill hike

Recently moved out of my house and the final bill was $2000.00 for 3 months!! Always paid on time no thank you for that...live alone when I questioned the bill they said there is nothing they can do about it!!! Have not done anything different, worked all day, so how a single person can get a bill like this in 3 months!? A rip off nothing else!!!

Hey tunde, thanks for your post and that doesn’t sound right. Send us through your full name, account number and date of birth as a private message or via email at info@momentum.com.au and we will be more than happy to follow this up for you. Thank you for your patience and please let me know if there is anything else we can assist with. - JulianThank you I just flicked you an email with all the details!Flicked the email expected help or a re-view!>>>>> Nothing been offered 50 bucks off the next bill! take it or leave it! I took it feel ashamed I ve been told they are the cheapest in the are!! Can only imagine the others!

So far so good

Frustrated with the jargon than my current provider kept feeding me I looked for a change. Being a Geelong Cats member I was aware of Momentum Energy and decided to give them a call to see what they could offer.

I spoke to a really friendly lady named Erica who asked me all the information from my past bills without asking how much I had paid, the quote she gave is ensuring our family is significantly better off and happy with our decision. Erica's professionalism and willingness to meet my needs ultimately swayed my decision and looking forward to a fresh start.

Hey DJ13, thanks for the great feedback and welcome aboard! If you have any questions about the sign up process or anything else you need clarification on, please feel free to pop us through a PM :) Have a great Wednesday! - Julian

$1200 Gas bill???!!!

Terrible prices , very high hikes in prices , used to have $200 max bill. Called the customer service with no resolution , I don’t recommend Momentum to anyone

Hey Ahmed, thanks for your message and we’re sorry to hear that we could not reach a resolution for you over the phone. We’d be more than happy to look into this issue further for you - If you can please pop us through your full name, date of birth and account number as a private message, we will have a look into this further for you to see if we can offer some better rates. Thanks and we look forward to your PM. - JulianHow can I PM you???Hey Ahmed, there should be an option that says 'Private Message' next to where you submit a comment. If you are unable to locate this, please contact us directly via email on info@momentum.com.au and we will assist you from there. Thanks. - Julian

Hello everyone! I had been a loyal customer of Momentum from Aug'18. Since we are moving to a different place and got better deals from other service provider in that area, we decided to terminate the services from Momentum this month. Initially during the first month (Aug-Sep) of the service we had a huge hike in the bill ($6XX), due to gas leak which was found and rectified. So the consecutive months we were getting ($1XX) which we presumed is normal. And for the month of Dec we received bills stating that the reading was an estimate and you have to pay $1XX. We paid and subsequently we had the same scenario in Feb stating we have to pay ($2XXX) which we feel is a huge sum considering the usage we do in a 5 bedroom house. My question is aren't they supposed to inform that it was the estimate (we got open premise) reading if they were doing so for all these months? And we feel that this happened after we changed the gas meter. What is that we can do now, since I don't believe in this huge sum that we need to pay is coherence with the usage we did ? I did call momentum to discuss this issue but ended up in vain. Please advise me on this ! Cheers, Disappointed momentum user

My partner is up to date and payed all the Bill's...momentum sent a random bill(keeps changing in dollar value) that we have already payed and we can prove it by the bank statement. My partner has emailed and rang them with no results. They keep sending this as overdue now and threatened to cut our power off, what is our best step? Do we ring a lawyer or is there someone higher we can sort this out for once and all?
Hey Webb, thanks for the question and we're keen to look into this issue further for you ASAP. If you could please send us your full name, account number and date of birth as a private message or via info@momentum.com.au advising you have contacted us via Product Review – we will look further into this issue for you ASAP. We thank you again for your feedback - this has now been passed on to our management team. Thanks. - Julian

Hello. I wonder what is peak step 1 and step 2? Is the price for peak step 2 increase? Thanks
Hey Tenea, these are the different rates that apply to your account. You probably already know that Peak and Off-Peak rates are based on the time of day and week you use energy. The ‘step’ rates you’ve asked about only apply to your Peak energy usage. You’ll be charged the Peak-Step 1 rate until you’ve used a certain level of electricity, then anything over this level gets charged at the Peak-Step 2 rate. The rates themselves vary for different customers and different areas (for some areas Step 1 is the cheaper rate, in other areas it’s Step 2), but you’ll find all the details in your welcome letter from us, and the prices are listed out in your invoices. Hope that helps ~KateThanks. May I know time for peak and off peak?

Similar listings