Unfinished and flakey wifi

New firmware is missing so much.
No ability to enable/disable VOIP. No ability to enable/disable or change priority of VOIP codecs.
2,4 wifi is very low range and drops out on some devices. Extremely bad with dell laptops and samsung phones.
USB storage option is a joke. Very slow and cannot be accessed from the web. Netcomm confirmed it is insecure and they block it from the internet.
LEDs are too bright and no way to dim them.

Purchased in February 2019 at Amazon for $142.00.

Number of Connected Devices 8 devices

Really fast connection

Love the fact that it has dual bands, the 2.4 GHz and 5 ghz, really needed a good router and tangerine offer this router for only $100, lowest price tbh

Purchased in July 2018 at Tangerine for $100.00.

Number of Connected Devices 4 devices
ISPTangerine Telecom NBN
Reliability

Does the job - no complaints

This modem was provided by our ISP. Since plugging it in, I haven't has to think about it much at all. Being dual band helps with managing older and newer devices. The browser-based settings page is easy to navigate.

Compared to our previous ADSL router, this device has a slight small signal range - but really we have it on a low stand behind the TV, yet it reaches most parts of our medium sized house/yard fine.

The VOIP is a nice feature to have, although in practice it rarely gets used.

Purchased in July 2018 at Exetel.

Number of Connected Devices 7 devices
ISPExetel NBN 50 (Standard Plus)

Wifi not very strong for 2 story house

This modem might be ok for people in a ground floor house, but in a two story townhouse the wifi is lacking. I'll probably need to get a Powerline adapter to try to increase the range to upstairs. The setup was easy and we haven't had many dropouts, but even downstairs the wifi isn't the best.

Purchased in April 2019 at Tangerine for $119.95.

Number of Connected Devices 4 devices
ISPTangerine Telecom NBN 100 (XXL Speed Boost)
Reliability

I brought with NBN Mate package.

I always blamed it on Mate for poor speed and the gov for bad NBN. But I did speed tests today.. yes right next to the router it goes extremely fast.

But as soon as you go to the next room or step 6 metres away the speed decreases dramatically.

After a year I am over it and going to replace it with a Modem...that has antennas!

I am not talking bad. If you are working closely to the modem then this may be the one for you!

But definitely consider your RANGE before purchasing.

Purchased in January 2018 at Mobile Mate.

Number of Connected Devices 3 devices
ISPTelstra Broadband NBN 25 (Essential)

Good quality budget modem

This a good budget modem and works as advertised. Able to maintain a fast stable NBN / Wi-Fi connection with Aussie Broadband. Also has a quite a few features for a standard home user.

On 50Mbps connection I am getting 47.4 down and 18.6 up. The modem makes efficient use of an NBN FTTN connection and I am located just over 400 meters from my node.

The Wi-Fi works quite well for my house, I do live in a smaller 3 bedroom house and I have good 5Ghz coverage throughout and outside the house, although the range suits my needs it could be a just a tad bit stronger for those with a bigger house.

The 2.4Ghz is quite strong and goes well beyond my block's boundary, in fact I had to tune the signal strength down to the lowest setting because I do not want it travelling beyond my boundary.

The other thing is Netcomm seem to be supporting this particular model with a number of firmware updates. The most recent of which was released in December 2018 containing a new user interface and Wi-Fi improvements.

If there was one thing I'd like to see improved it would be to make the setting up Quality of Service functionality a whole lot easier. The setting up of this functionality is a little tedious for less technically savvy users.

Purchased in May 2018.

Number of Connected Devices 9 devices
ISPAussie Broadband

It’s rubbish.

This modem is made of lemon. The 2.4ghz keeps dropping down to 1 mbits. Reboot it and it backs up 50mbts till after hour or so then it goes down again. I’m sending it back to netcomm for a refund.

Purchased in April 2019.

Extremely not useful.

Extremely unstable every 10 minutes it lost connection. I had to restart it about 14 times a week( 2 times a day). And after all that is still was horrible. Strongly do not reccomend.

Purchased in January 2019 at not sure for $20.00.

Number of Connected Devices 2 devices
ISPnot sure

Great Modem

Netcomm AC1600 NF18ACV is a fantastic modem with no complaints. I recently switched over to NBN with Aussie broadband and this is the preferred modem they recommended.
The modem syncs up perfectly and the voip phone function has perfect clear audio.
The Wireless features are fantastic with no real major difference when connected via Ethernet cable.

I highly recommend this modem for NBN connection.

Purchased in February 2019 for $149.00.

ISPAussie Broadband NBN 50 (Standard Plus)

Netcomm Modem Regret

Probably the worst modem I have had the displeasure of owning. Very slow, drops out and requires resetting on a regular basis. Extremely poor support from Netcomm who are not interested in locked to ISP modems. ....Beware if your ISP provides the modem inclusive on plan. It is locked to them and they do not give you the unlock procedure should you wish to change providers @!.... Buy your own modem and Don't buy a Netcomm !....Don't say you weren't warned

Purchased in July 2017 at Spintel for $149.00.

Number of Connected Devices 2 devices
ISPSpinTel

Very unstable Wifi. Loosing both 2.4 and 5 Ghz

Comparing this modem/router to my previous one - I regret the purchase.

While configuration is easier and there are more options, the stability is questionable at best.

Firstly, 2.4 GHz is unusable. Same channel as the previous modem - the throughput is 15% at best.
5 Ghz, while offering better speeds than the previous one, experiences constant dropouts.

I would not buy this hardware again.

Purchased in November 2018 for $140.00.

Number of Connected Devices 6 devices
ISPAussie Broadband

Reliable NBN router

I have had this router for around 15 months since NBN connection and I have found it to be a good reliable device. The boot up time is nice and quick and the web interface for administrative and management functions is quite intuitive and easy to follow.
It has a dedicated WAN port and 4 ethernet ports plus two phone ports for built in VOIP. It was delivered pre-configured for my NBN ISP provider so the set up was easy. Also it has a USB port and DSL port for ADSL. It has a power on/off switch not always available on cheaper routers. As others said the indicator lights are bright but as it is in a living room that is not an issue for me, any router that does not provide a dim switch will have this issue, not uncommon.
Originally I encountered poor VOIP quality over NBN and with assistance of my ISP had to disable some codecs and reboot after which VOIP quality was probably better than my replaced PSTN analog phone service. The VOIP issue must have been known as they were right onto it with no investigation required.
The major problem and disappointment for me was the poor wireless coverage. My previous D-Link DSL2890AL covered the entire house, but the NF18ACV is deficient in this area and does not reach the other end of the house (it is installed at the rear and not centrally). I had to purchase a TP-Link wireless repeater to bridge the dead spots and that has solved the problem but it is another device consuming power.
Very occasionally I have had to reboot it due to loss of connectivity on some devices in the house or internet but I think that is expected for any home router, there will be issues from time to time.
Overall I have been happy with it until it got fried in a recent electrical storm which wiped out the WAN port.
Now I am back using the D-Link again, lucky I had a spare.
NF18ACV is a good reliable modem with good security features and won't disappoint.

Purchased in December 2017 for $169.00.

Works very well on my NBN HFC Connection

I bought this Netcomm AC1600 NF18ACV as a deliberate alternative to my ISP's supplied router. The router connected well to my NBN HFC network and was not complicated to get the required WAN connection settings operating with the HFC equipment. The router rarely requires rebooting and is stable. I get high throughput's of 48/19Mbps on a 50Mbps Internode service nearly all the time.

There are no external antennae on the device or connections to fit any, but I find it covers the outside, 2nd storey rooms and even outside the perimeter walls where required. The 5GHz WiFi is always going to have a shorter range as it is a higher frequency.

I use the Android app 'WiFi Analyser' by Abdelrahman. I have found this to be a more accurate gauge of specific channel strength and interference for ensuring a reliable connection on devices that are at extremes of WiFi range. The 2.4GHz WiFi seems to be acceptably strong enough to get through walls, glass and a metal garage door to operate my video doorbell - but I only got a solid signal using the above mentioned app to find the most reliable strength channel - and that may require altering if someone changes their nearby channel settings. Setting the 2.4 WiFi to 40MHz decreases available channels - but can double your speeds.

I read that others dislike the WiFi - but I am having no issues in a 2-storey townhouse by paying attention to other networks around me and setting my WiFi channels accordingly to maximise their power, as well as optimising the unit's height and orientation to again maximise its output.

The security features are extensive for both LAN and WAN networks and WiFi and work well according to network probing sites.

From my experience I rate the Netcomm AC1600 NF18ACV as a good buy.

Purchased in May 2018 for $140.00.

Number of Connected Devices 30 devices
ISPInternode

Don't waste your money

Do not buy this modem. Total waste of money. Your better off with a potato.
Very poor WiFi range.
Xbox doesn't connect a lot of times.
Phones keep dropping off WiFi.
Gets really hot.

Disgusting piece of equipment. If your happy with the above issues then buy it. But a friend's one was the same. So yeh.

Purchased in September 2018 for $130.00.

Painfully bright at night

I bought a preconfigured modem when my internet came mid last year. I do have a few things i'd like to point out.

- The modem is bright, My internet connection outlet is in my bedroom so It has to live in my room. Its very disappointing how there no option to turn the lights off. A simple small circle glowing green would be ideal instead of a blinking green torch getting to the bathroom at night
- The connectivity is alright, I can get it right outside the walls of my building, but on pavement it just loads...and times out.
- I had an offline printer and it was very frustrating to constantly rely on plunging the cable between the computer and the printer every time you needed something printed. Its incompatible with recognizing printers on the modem so if you use printers regular, I strongly recommend a wireless. The point of connecting the printers cable to the modem was to 'hotspot' the printer to make it live on the network.
- The power cable is very short, I think its under a meter and considering that wifi modems need to go high or close to a window, I suggest you buy an extension. The same goes if you connect the cable from the socket to the modem.
- There is no difference using Ethernet and wifi, the speeds are on and around the same.
- On the plus side it boots and connects quickly, if it took more then two minutes the house would be in chaos
- This may be my ISP but Uploading is a nightmare, I could get a coffee faster then uploading a series of documents. I could swim to cuba and back if your uploading scanned documents. Speedtest revealed it is below 0.7mbps (not megabyte).

Date PurchasedAug 2018

easy to use but poor wireless coverage

Received this modem with our NBN HFC connection. Solid speed, no dropouts and bonus that it also has VOIP functionality.. has the features expected with modern routers ie; gigabyte, usb, dual bands etc.

Easy to setup out of the box but the netcomm software is a little bit decrypt with port forwarding, adding static ip's etc.. maybe i am used to ddwrt configurations possible so it took a little bit getting used to.. will do most functions well.. However, given the lack of external antennas wireless coverage in our 3 bed house is an issue.. so if you have a large area to cover then you'll probably need additional assistance to cover the deadspots..

Date PurchasedJan 2019

Great Product Suits Our Needs

I have had this modem now since coming over to the NBN from my RSP back in November 2018. It was pre configured and has worked well with no dropouts encountered so far. It was simply a plug and play when NBN was enabled. I also have VOIP active and the wireless connectivity has been great. Suits our needs nicely, the modem seems well put together. I have had Netcomm modems in the past with no issues. I have no hesitation in recommending this to others.

Date PurchasedNov 2018

Very smooth

I received the modem with NBN sign up with Aussie Broadband. Modem came pre-configured. I just plugged it into the NBN box and had all my devices set up to wifi within minutes. I have a one bed unit and I have no signal range issues. Very smooth and easy.

Date PurchasedJan 2019

Very reliable - easy to use

The connectivity from the modem/router to the devices is excellent quality, the speed is fair and since I got in July 2017, I haven't had to reset it yet, it is so easy to use I forget is there! if I have to switch it off & on, it just takes one or two minutes to pick up the signal - and I have internet again, I am very satisfied with this product

Date PurchasedJul 2017

Does its job

The range is quite short, as it can drop out in about at 5 m radius, but it rarely drops out. It came pre-set up so all I had to do was plug it in. I don't understand the specific specs, but Mate Communicate sell this to make the transition process easier.

Date PurchasedJan 2018