Nissan X-Trail T32.I

An absolute gem of a car

This car is incredible. Beautiful to look at, amazing to drive, easy on fuel, reliable, roomy, safe and cheap to maintain. The interior is comfortable and easy to clean. The push button start and keyless entry is lush. I'm so in love with this car and will recommend it over and over again.

Purchased in February 2019 at Westpoint Autos for $15,500.00.

Noise Level
Interior Design
Boot Size
Features
Comfort

First SUV and couldn't be happier after four years' ownership.

I bought my X-Trail ST 2WD new, in 2014, when I became a grandfather and wanted a bit more space and metal around my precious granddaughter. I had previously owned performance cars, most recently a Mazda MX-5, so this was a major change for me.

I chose the CVT auto having owned a CVT-equipped Honda motorcycle and enjoyed it. I find the step-less auto relaxing and unobtrusive, especially on hilly roads where the CVT doesn't hunt up and down gears.

I have been very happy with my purchase, which came after evaluating most other SUVs in its class, including the CX5 (class leader according to the press at that time). 100% reliable, roomy, well-equipped for the price and surprisingly economical (average 7.7L/100kms to date), I find myself frequently telling my wife and son how much I like this car. Coming from a petrol-head like me - (and longstanding car enthusiast) that is high praise indeed.

I usually start to eye up other cars and think about a swap as the third year of ownership approaches. This time around however, I have no such inclinations. Already more than happy with the superb value for such a competent car (I paid $29,990 drive away), I see no reason to trade it in. This is perhaps the most all-round economical car I have owned in thirty years!

Oh and the 2WD has proven to be quite capable on dirt, too. My hobby is photographing motorcycle trials and the events often take place miles from anywhere, at the end of some rather rough gravel roads. The extra ground clearance that an SUV provides has been a boon and i haven't yet needed more traction.

When the time comes to trade it in, I will mostly likely head back to the Nissan dealer ...

Date PurchasedNov 2014
DriveFWD

Perfect 7 seater.

This is by far the most value for money we have bought and we have changed cars couple of times. No nonsense car and will never fail you. Love it. Fuel economy is good and service is only once a year. Great boot space and great back seat legroom. The back seats in the 7 seater for kids only, dont expect grown up to sit there.

Date PurchasedJan 2016

Love it!

Use daily for work and also road trips. Never had any issues. Drives smoothly. Lots of space in the back and in the boot. You can barely notice the transmission changing gears. The NissanConnect app is very poorly designed but the features it purports to use are ones we wouldn't use anyway.

Date PurchasedJan 2019
Drive4WD

At low revs it shakes

Buyer beware, do not purchase these cars, badly made, and worst company to deal with. Have had steering wheel vibrations the moment we purchased it. Our test run wasn't long enough. We started to notice a bad vibration coming from the steering wheel when travelling the car at low rpm, 40ks, 60ks, 80ks. Went to 2 Nissan dealers and they said its the make up of the car. They didn't bother checking it, only offered a wheel balance that has done nothing. I will now take it to an independent mechanic for external advice.
Previously owned Kia, and Hyundai cars, and never had an issue with them.
My advice to anyone, if they are looking to drive one of these, drive it for a long time, and cruise with it at low Rpm, than make your judgement.

Date PurchasedApr 2018
Drive4WD

My 2nd X-Trail and I love it!

I had a Nissan X-Trail 2012 and traded it in for a small car due to its high petrol consumption and high service cost. At this time I did not know that one can service a new car at a mechanic other than the dealer itself without losing the warranty. The day I handed my keys over, I already regretted it because I really loved my car. Having had the small car for 4 years, I needed to get an X-Trail again and so I did: A used 2016 ST 4x4 with only 3,500 km on the odometer for a very good price. The only bad decision was that I took the "Cosmetic Package" which includes Windows tinting, colour protection and small chip and scratch repair for a small amount per job. This was an extra $ 2,000.00 and definitely NOT worth it!

Shortly after picking up my X-Trail, I went on a trip from Mornington, VIC to Hahndorf, Barossa Valley and Adelaide, SA. The car was excellent in every aspect! We were 2 people, therefore more than enough space for our luggage. Driving mostly on freeways and highways, the best petrol consumption was 6.4 litres/100 km and 91 Octane petrol is enough (I had a German car before and needed to put 95+ petrol in the tank which was getting very expensive). Driving short distances - I'm talking about 2-5 km back and forth (moving house last week) is a different story: The fuel economy was at about 14 litres/100 km, but no one usually does this (?).

I cannot complain about anything so far and it's been 7 months since I bought this car.

Date PurchasedApr 2018

Great Economical SUV

This car is being used everyday for our family. Really good value for money with enough room for 7 people. Eco mode option is very useful to save petrol these days. Enough power to carry 7 people. Reversing camera is very useful for parking. Looks great inside out. Very happy with the performance so far.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Cheap and cheerful

Picked up a 2016 base model 2 liter manual for a good price. Up to 17000kms.
Motor underpowered needs reving to go anywhere. Problem is greater with a/c running. Clutch makes clicking noise after 5k. Gearbox notchy supposed to get better with age. Ride can get jiggly over smaller bumps.
Fuel Economy is ok regularly get under 8L/100kms around town. Using castrol edge 5w30 full syn.
Seats are comfy for normal driving and everything works so far. Easy access in engine bay for servicing etc.
Also my Chinese smart phone won't connect to Bluetooth. Samsung works fine.

TransmissionManual
Date PurchasedSep 2017

Great family SUV

Great on fuel for an SUV, plenty of power and so easy to park. This is our main family car and we have had it 2.5yrs and will most likely buy another when we trade in. Great tech, very comfy and brilliant with camera views for parking and manouvering in tight spaces. Ti model.has some great features and handles very well in all conditions. Very safe and reliable family car. First Nissan we have owned and extremely happy with it.

BadgeTi
Date PurchasedJul 2016

Inferior paint on body of car

I prev had an xtrail for 10 years, so for me it was a no brainer, as mine still looked brand new after 10 years, and drove excellently. This time I bought a 2016 model. Both my prev xtrail and this have had paint protection done pre delivery. Now, not quite 2 years later, having done only 11,000ks, and always garaged, my car has chips in the paint in quite a few places. It seems that if anyone accidentally nudges my car with their door, they take the paint back to bare metal. Seriously feel like they left a few coats of my paintwork when manufacturing. So devastatingly, disappointed. Would not buy another xtrail unless this was proven to be rectified.

Date PurchasedNov 2016

Great Car!

Use this car all the time - from commuting to work to family road-trips. It has a great interior look with leather seats which are very easy to clean especially with our dog constantly shedding her hair. The front seat warmers are a cute feature i use a lot more than I originally expected i would.

Date PurchasedMar 2016

Love my Xtrail

I previously owned an X-trail and when looking for a new car, cam back to buy another X-trail! I love that it's spacious, has added features like front seat warmers and rear air conditioning vent, it's very economical to drive and was affordable compared to other similar cars. My only down point on this model is the back seats don't fold down flat (my previous model did) but that's because they can be moved forward ad back for extra leg room

Date PurchasedAug 2016

Terrific Car

Love my STL. It’s roomy, has a safe feeling about it. Economical on a trip. If I had one fault it is opening and closing the boot. Not really my Xtrails fault as I have quite bad hands. I would definitely recommend the Xtrail, sales and service at Von Bibra second to none. Best family car ever.

Date PurchasedFeb 2016

Perfect for me

I purchased my Xtrail in Dec 15 and have not had one ounce of trouble with it. I’ve driven it from Perth to Sydney and back again 10 months later towing a box trailer. Fuel economy is fantastic and the interior features are great. For a seven seater it is ideal for my young family. Leg room is great in front and back.
The only issue I have is that the headlights are not bright enough being 60W high beams. The interior lights are not real bright either but these can be changed to led’s.
Getting close to 840km per tank gives exceptional fuel economy

Date PurchasedDec 2015

Great SUV with lot of features

I have this car since 2016 October and I use to commute to work and long distance trips. My car is standard (ST) and still has lot more features such as reversing camera, key less entry,greate trip computer similar to high end cars. Before I bought this car I drove several car and I noticed that power steering in this car is really precise and smooth. It's also comes with 7 seater which can be used for kids occasionally ( child seat cannot be installed in last 2 seats). I love the button on front door handles, so you don't have to press car key button to lock the car all the time.
Only draw back I see in this car is it takes little longer to come to the speed ( in comparison to my pervious V6 car). Cruise control is very precise and it shows the speed you setup in the trip computer. I haven't used this for rough terrain so I don't know the performance of it. However it is a great car for your daily used. great fuel conceptions when you do long trips. Reversing camera is really clear even at nights

Date PurchasedOct 2016

All my friends get jealous how good it is

Though I didn't try the old x trail, the new one got me right the first day. The stl model 7 seats got me to all occasions from moving house, family get away, and tricky parking( thanks to the 360 camera),the car just got smooth acceleration when comparing to those hire cars I have driven, light steering. No doubt it is 2017 best suv of the world

Date PurchasedMay 2016

Waste of money, this is not a Japanese Quality

I bought one brand new from official dealer in Adelaide in June 2016.
The car has started making extra noise just after 2 days, I took it to several official nissan service centers especially several times to main north nissan in Adelaide, this issue is still annoys me and making extra noise like trucks. The most weird answer was this is a characteristic of nissan that means they know this car makes a lot of extra noise due to low quality material and factory quality control.

Date PurchasedJun 2016

Rugged luxury (4WD model)

After a fair bit of research, I decided to get a 3 year old secondhand X-trail with about 60,000km on the clock. My favourite feature of the ST-L is the surround 360 degree camera. I upgraded from a small sedan to the X-trail so parking was my biggest hurdle. The camera had made me more confident in tight spaces. But it doesn’t seem to have fantastic fuel efficiency as I use half a tank on about 250km (200km highway Brisbane to Toowoomba return) which is about 40L - double my small sedan would use for the same trip. It’s rugged enough for the soft off road through soft clay that I’ve gone through in it, but the modern design and leather interior add a bit of luxury. Absolutely love my new car.

TransmissionCVT auto
Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Great little family ferry - 7 seater, leather and enough bells and whistles to keep you entertained

We purchased this car second hand (2014) model around 6 months ago from the original owners.
It had approximately 65000kms on the clock and was serviced regularly by Nissan during that time.

One thing I highly recommend to everyone looking at ANY car, is make sure it has a full service history, it does not matter how new, it is worth it.

It is worth noting that we purchased this car for my wife, we have 4 children and had until recently had a Nissan Elgrand wagon. It was an 8 seater with so much room you could literally fit a bed in it, in fact the rear seats all folded down into a bed and could also be rearranged into a dining table with seating... honestly, best family car ever.

Having such a massive car for 8+ years had its downside. It was massive and my wife was a little sick of driving such a large vehicle around. So we decided to downsize and the X-Trail seemed to fit the bill perfectly with its 7 seats.

It ticked all the boxes. It was newer (Elgrand was a 1999) - tick, it was smaller - tick, it had leather - tick, it was smooth to drive - tick, it had 7 seats - tick.... you get the idea. The car looked practically brand new it had been looked after that well, with the only flaw being the rear bumper had been resprayed and wasn't quite the perfect match.

We did soon learn however, that while it was 7 seats, there was little else in the way of room for anything else. With our children being aged between 2 and 10 it does take some planning before we all get in and go. My 10 year old is reasonably tall at over 155cm so it is a squashy ride in the rear seats, so he can only go there when my wife is driving. When I am driving, at 6ft 2, I need the front chair back a bit more which leaves 0 leg room for him and my 6 year old. We thought about moving the toddler seat for the 2yo across to that side, but that would then mean getting her in and out on the road rather than the footpath which is not an option for obvious safety reasons.

With all the kids sorted, that leaves one of the rear seats down for loading in items. Yes unlike some cars the XTrail comes with split fold rear seats which is good. Prams are pretty much out of the question with all the kids in the car. A stroller will just fit between the seats and rear hatch and a bit of shopping with the other seat folded down.

As we do like to travel every now and then with the kids, I did install a tow bar on it myself and recently purchased an enclosed trailer to ensure we are actually able to pack enough clothes for more than half a day, so this is something to take into consideration if you have a large family.

Driving Experience:
It drives well. If you haven't driven a CVT transmission before it can be a little strange. It does not slow down like most automatic cars when you let your foot off the accelerator. The revs are maintained at a higher RPM for a more seamless transition through the gears. I found it a little annoying at first but got used to it pretty quickly.
It is a nice smooth ride and the seats are quite comfy and in those cold mornings the heated seats make you wonder how you have ever lived without them and how you will ensure that you will never be with out them again for all future vehicle purchases.
The car we purchased came with a decent touch screen entertainment unit including NAV, Bluetooth connect and DAB Radio (only just found this out the other day when fiddling with the radio features, probably should have read the manual). Using the Nissan Connect app on an iPhone or Android (iPhone is what we use) is a handy feature, we mainly just plug the phone into the USB port and control it through the buttons on the steering wheel or bluetooth connect which allows you to do the same thing including take calls through the car.
One of the down sides I have found is when you are running the AC or Heater at full blast or have a window down it can be very hard to hear on the other end as it sounds like you are in a typhoon.

As mentioned the car has a full service history and with all new Nissans they come with 6 year capped price servicing. We have put around 6000kms on it since owning it and took it in for its 70,000KM service in Feb which came to $240 with the next service now due at 80,000KMs which is a major service @ around $450 I believe.

Petrol consumption ranges anywhere from 6.3L / 100KMs on steady and flowing freeway driving to 12L of stop start traffic, hills and every day driving. We use ours on a variety of tasks including now towing since I installed a tow bar, long road trips, every day commuting and my wifes work and it still averages over the last 3 months less than 10L / 100KMs which gets us at least 500KMs out of the tank before we will up (not leaving it until it goes below 1/4 tank). We only use E10 fuel which we have used in all of our cars since it came out over a decade ago, for the main reason that it is cheaper and cleaner with a higher RON rating than that of the standard unleaded.

Overall a great car for a family, I would imagine a family with less than 4 kids easily being satisfied with the size, whereas we are probably going to upgrade to either a Pathfinder or something even bigger as the kids start getting bigger. If we didn't have 4 growing kids I would definitely consider getting a new one when we were looking to upgrade in a few years.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

Solid, easy driving family SUV

Faithful, reliable, enjoyable, comfortable, looks decent.
Interior is a little bland and car is not engaging to drive due to the CVT however would happily purchase again as a family SUV. Around view monitor is life changingly good. No mechanical issues since purchase. probably would go the 4wd next time.

Date PurchasedDec 2015

i am facing key detection problem every now and then with my 2017 xtrail stl ? how to fix it?
change the battery

I diagnose my nissan xtrail T32 it gave me this fault code B0096-88 C-PILLAR SAT SEN RH (CRNT) what may be the problem?

T32 2015 x trail actuator problem when u switch ignition off or unlock door using remote makes a loud noise on driver side door. Is actuator covered by the six year or 150 000 warrant.
Ask Nissan or ask at a dealership asking here wont give you the answer

T32.I ST (2.0L Manual)T32.I ST (2.5L 5-Seat CVT FWD)T32.I ST (2.5L 7-Seat CVT FWD)T32.I ST (2.5L 5-Seat CVT 4WD)T32.I ST-L (5-Seat FWD)T32.I ST-L (7-Seat FWD)T32.I ST-L (5-Seat 4WD)X-Trail T32.I TiT32.I TS CVTT32.I TS ManualT32.I TL CVTT32.I TL Manual
Starting Price $27,990$30,490$31,990$33,980$36,590$38,090$39,490$45,190$35,380$35,680$46,280$46,580
TransmissionManualContinuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)ManualContinuously Variable (CVT)Manual
Drive TypeFront Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)
Fuel TypePetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolDieselDieselDieselDiesel
Wheels17" Alloy17" Alloy17" Alloy17" Alloy17" Alloy17" Alloy17" Alloy18" Alloy17" Alloy17" Alloy18" Alloy18" Alloy
ANCAP Safety Rating5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars
Doors555555555555
Seats557557555555
Fuel Consumption8.2L/100km7.9L/100km8.1L/100km8.3L/100km7.9L/100km8.1L/100km8.3L/100km8.3L/100km5.3L/100km5.3L/100km5.3L/100km5.3L/100km
Fuel Tank Capacity 60 L60 L60 L60 L60 L60 L60 L60 L60 L60 L60 L60 L
Engine4 Cylinder, 2.0L4 Cylinder, 2.5L4 Cylinder, 2.5L4 Cylinder, 2.5L4 Cylinder, 2.5L4 Cylinder, 2.5L4 Cylinder, 2.5L4 Cylinder, 2.5L4 Cylinder, 1.6L4 Cylinder, 1.6L4 Cylinder, 1.6L4 Cylinder, 1.6L
Max Power106kW @ 6000rpm126kW @ 6000rpm126kW @ 6000rpm126kW @ 6000rpm126kW @ 6000rpm126kW @ 6000rpm126kW @ 6000rpm126kW @ 6000rpm96kW @ 4000rpm96kW @ 4000rpm96kW @ 4000rpm96kW @ 4000rpm
Max Torque200Nm @ 4400rpm226Nm @ 4400rpm226Nm @ 4400rpm226Nm @ 4400rpm226Nm @ 4400rpm226Nm @ 4400rpm226Nm @ 4400rpm226Nm @ 4400rpm320Nm @ 1750rpm320Nm @ 1750rpm320Nm @ 1750rpm320Nm @ 1750rpm
Country of ManufactureJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapan
Maximum Towing Capacity (braked)1,500 kg1,500 kg1,500 kg1,500 kg1,500 kg1,500 kg1,500 kg1,500 kg1,500 kg2,000 kg1,500 kg2,000 kg
Maximum Towing Capacity (unbraked)750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg
Manufacturer Warranty3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)
Release dateMar 2014Mar 2014Mar 2014Mar 2014Mar 2014Mar 2014Mar 2014Mar 2014Mar 2014Mar 2014Mar 2014Mar 2014
Discontinuation dateApr 2017Apr 2017Apr 2017Apr 2017Apr 2017Apr 2017Apr 2017Apr 2017Apr 2017Apr 2017Apr 2017Apr 2017
Compare all Nissan X-Trail