NRMA Car Insurance

NRMA Car Insurance

Garbage - They Go Against their Own Advice

The car suffered minor hail damage.

NRMAs professional third party assessor classed it as repairable (I have their report) and I have it in writing from NRMA (7 February) that they would put it on the Written Off Vehicle Register (WOVR) as repairable. NRMA do not have a buy back scheme but Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) assure it is fully legal if I buy it at auction (Pickles) and re-register it. I can only do that if it is classed as repairable.

Despite all this NRMA classed it as a statutory write off. NRMA initially said they had to register it this way because they don't have a buy back scheme and they were legally obligated to classify it this way. I checked with RMS who said there is no such legislation and they do not have a requirement for companies with no buy back to do so. NRMA also admitted they do not have an internal policy to do this.

When confronted with the fact there is no legislative basis of their actions NRMA's response changed to we have no "obligation to do so" (put it as a repairable). What the hell does this mean? They are ignoring the professional hail assessment and their own advice to me. The answer reads, despite our written guarantee we can't be bothered to do so.

RMS said the WOVR decision can be reversed but NRMA are too proud to do so.

I am trying to save resources and save a perfectly good car, albeit with a light dose of acne. Fat chance with NRMA.

Claim No: NRM 182963398

Plan covers drivers under 25No
Car ModelHyundai i30 FD (2007-2012)
Claim MadeYes
NRMA are now saying that "once you (the original owner), have re-purchased your vehicle back from the Pickles Auction House, they will amend the WOVR to a ‘Repairable Write-Off’" from the current status of Statutory Write-Off. "This applies to all NRMA customer who have been affected by the Hail Storm." "Once you have purchased the vehicle back, please contact NRMA Insurance to supply the correct documentation that you receive from Pickles as proof that you have purchased the vehicle." They caveat with this is,"Please keep in mind however, that the age of the vehicle, is a factor in it being logged in the WOVR." I will check with NRMA exactly what this means and if there is a specific date. Absolutely no one I talked with in NRMA for the last 2+ weeks mentioned this possibility. Either they did not know or this decision is recent. I suspect the latter.

All they want is your money.

Sure enough, a business needs revenue to continue its services but having a good customer service would be appreciated. This insurance company has one of the worst customer service you can get which lets you wait for a very long time to have someone answer the other end of the line. And you get someone from overseas that is just being trained to answer to standard questions. They run their responses with a script that was handed to them.

Disputing was painful and stressful as it could be. I had to get AFCA (Australian Financial Complaints Authority) involved to fix a claims issue.

Save yourself from all the stress this company can give you and look somewhere else.

Insurance TypeComprehensive and Compulsory Third Party
Car ModelKia Cerato

Poor customer service

I rang and got transferred then hang up on the Indian stuff u guys have don't even understand English was waiting for 1hr and 30min then to talk for 2 min then she hang up on me .. NRMA don't employ people from Australia instead go overseas

Insurance claim madeNo

Conflicting price information with purchase of car insurance.

I purchased online and with telephonic conversation a comprehensive insurance plan for 12 months. I was told that I would get a basic plan for road assisstance for 79 dollars due to enrolling with NRMA car insurance. The phone and internet disconnected due to poor connection. On February 15th I went into the local store to sign up for the road assisstance and I was told different information. I was told that it was only valid at the time of enrollment. I let the representative know that this was not what I was told. I was told that NRMA would honor a reduced rate due to purchasing their insurance plan. This was at the Raymond Terrace NRMA center in NSW. Margaret Blanch looked into it again and was able to resule the inssue and instead of 206 dollars. I was only to pay 139.00. Thank you Margaret.

Claim MadeNo
Book AgainYes

If nrma looked at there reviews they can see they get 1.9 and you have to give one star to leave a review do they care

Stalling tactics ,delaying tactics and no customer service I would like a senate inquiry into NRMA,s behaviour if anyone agrees maybe you can talk to your local and federal member

Insurance TypeCompulsory Third Party and Third Party, Fire and Theft
Plan covers drivers under 25No
Car ModelHolden Statesman WL (2004-2006)
Claim DateDecember 2018
Claim ApprovedNo
Hi Grant. Thank you for providing your feedback. It certainly doesn't sound like the customer experience we would like for our customers. If you would like you can speak with us with this link to our Facebook page to reach out via messenger: https://www.facebook.com/nrmainsurance/. Just let us know you're from Product Review and we can see if there is any way we can turn this around for you. ~ Jono

Terrible insurance company if I could rate zero I would

Policy that I had with nrma was full of crap that is impossible for a normal person to understand or decipher car was fully insured when hail storm of December 2018 hit in Sydney and was given a verbal estimate for car due to write off when payment came through it was $1000 less and then the deductions started

Plan covers drivers under 25No
Car ModelMazda 3 BL (2009-2013)
Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim DateDecember 2018
Claim ApprovedYes

Claims department is incompetent. Cancelled the claim as I got fed up going round in circles for 6 m

My car got damaged by a runaway truck that hadn't secured its load properly back in August 2018.
I lodged a claim soon after and for 6 months and since then there has been zero progress on the claim. NRMA keeps telling me go to the police station to file a police report, which I already have although they could only file a traffic complaint as there was no contact between my car and the truck (apparently not securing load and damaging other cars on the road with flying debris has no consequences in this country). The police told me the insurance company can still obtain the other party's detail anyway but NRMA keeps phoning me every few months telling me the same story and I have to tell them the same story. In the end, I got fed up and told them to just forget about it and cancel the claim. Absolutely furious about the incompetence of NRMA.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Ethan. Thank you for your feedback, I can imagine the frustration at being told conflicting things by us and the police. You can always re-open a claim and you can use this link www.nrma.com.au/complaints-resolutions to make a formal complaint and have it investigated for you. ~ Jono

Car accident claim disgraceful

DISGRACEFUL. 45 min plus to speak to non English speaking off shore female. She repeatedly said “mmmm, ok. Mmmmmm, ok”. I said “no, it’s not ok”: needless to say after 9 working business days my car hasn’t even had assessment/quote done let alone repairs started. I have a 14 day hire car and told by repairer it’s minimum a month wait. Obviously repairers can’t keep up to their work load but I’m left with a $40 plus per day hire car and $1650 excess if I’m unfortunate to damage it (hire care) plus my $695 excess. All because a kangaroo bounced in front of me. Thrifty car rental advised me that NRMA are worst to deal with along with Coles insurance (owned by NRMA),
I think 9 working days to quote a car is a joke.
I was told by the customer service staff at Cessnock NSW branch to have “comprehensive plus cover” I’ve never heard of such cover nor have I ever had the option to take it out. I requested her to show me where on policy that is. Her reply “oh it’s not there, you need to read your product disclosure book”. I didn’t get this book via email when it’s time to renew policy.
NRMA don’t care about genuine loyal customers. I have 2 cars, boat, house/contents, trailer and greenslips with them. Time to take my business else where.

Car ModelHyundai i30 2017-Present
Claim DateFebruary 2019
Claim ApprovedNo

I feel they just hold me in contempt

I had to claim through NRMA as the not-for-fault party. The Indian call centre representative struggled to understand me, but we eventually got my repairs booked and a rental car organised. He told me that
I could buy the excess reduction insurance from Hertz and I'd be reimbursed for it, and I was told the same by another person on the phone subsequently. So I did buy it. But can I get it reimbursed? No. I have spent hours on the phone, emailed them invoice twice, tried reaching them on social media... but nothing. Pathetic. I am out of pocket about $200 for an accident that was their customer's fault. I am angry.

Claim Resolution Time3+ months
Claim DateNovember 2018
Claim ApprovedYes
Hi Mitchell. I can certainly understand how upsetting it is to be told incorrect information that then goes on to cost you money. You can make an official complaint with this link https://www.nrma.com.au/complaints-resolutions. If you follow the steps provided here you can have this investigated and rectified. ~ Jono

Best service ever

I've been with NRMA Road Service for over 40 years..Today the battery went dead on my car and they were on my door step to replace a new one in less than half an hour. Can't imagine why anyone would drive without road service. Once again, NRMA came to my rescue and they always have very nice friendly people who come out to fix the car...Thanks again.

Insurance claim madeNo
Hey Karen, thanks so much for your positive experience, we appreciate you letting us know! ~Kaz

I don’t recommend anymore

On the 5th January my Harley was stolen from my driveway and I reported it police and was given a number to provide to my insurance company which is the nrma ! I rang to make a claim and I was quite upset at the time , and [name removed] the service lady was so kind and helpful she really calmed my mood ! Is was quite impressed! I was informed I’d be be contacted on the Monday or Tuesday, i was not contacted till a week after that on the Tuesday by a claims officer ! I ran through everything with her and I was told she would be in contact that afternoon if any more information was needed! I was not contacted ! instead I called them a couple of days after just to see if there was anything else needed . I was on hold for 40 minutes to be told my claims officer was working on my claim and would be in contact before 6 ! She did not contact me , I rang again this Tuesday to sit on hold for one hour !!!!! One hour to be told my claims officer was not there and she would call me today! Which she did ! And I was told my claim is being investigated because it was flagged due to the policy coming to an end ! My bike was stolen from my driveway 2 days before it was due for rego and I was taking it for a pink slip the morning it was stolen !!!! the policy would have been renewed along with the rego !my bike was a labour of love and to be made to feel like I’m a criminal is so disrespectful ! My wife and I have used u guys for all our insurance policies for 15 years on multiple bikes , cars and home contents ! I’ve have now been informed I have to provide service receipts for my bike a invoices for parts I’m a mechanic by trade and do my own fabrication and mechanical work so I can’t provide this information! I’ve also been informed that I have to provide an invoice for purchasing of the bike which is registered and insurared in my name and the insurance payments have been coming out of mine and my wife’s bank account for 15 years for multiple policies ! They want pictures of the bike and I have to send the keys in which I have no problem with the last two requests as if they do find my bike after the claim is settled it belongs to them ! I was that upset today I left my workshop after the phone call ! I was left feeling like a criminal guys !!!! I’ve never had to make a claim and didn’t even know any of the processes! I’ve been left feeling empty and betrayed by a company I’ve been paying for 15 years ! And I’ve just been informed by my wife that my insurance was set up to automatically renew each year so the nrma have flagged me because my insurance was due to expire , but it’s set up to automatically renew each year !!! So I’m sure they will come up with another excuse to to make me feel like a criminal!!!!!!!!!

Insurance claim madeYes

Astonishingly poor claims process for storm and hail damage

My car was damaged in the Sydney hailstorm in December 2018 and I lodged a claim the same day. After hearing nothing from NRMA for 3 weeks, they finally told me to drive my car to their subcontracted 'hail specialist' for an assessment - this was located on the Central Coast, over an hour's drive from Sydney. I had to take a day off work to do this as they would not let me take my car to a local provider. I asked about reimbursement for petrol costs and was laughed at by the consultant. I asked to speak to a supervisor to approve taking the car to a closer location and this request was flat out denied.

The experience with their 'hail specialist' was also underwhelming. I had to point out some of the damage that they missed on their rushed inspection. They told me that the car will take 3 weeks to repair, but they cannot start repairs until late June. My policy says I can use any NRMA partner repairer, but there is actually only 1 'partner repairer' for hail damage. I have to take my car back to the Central Coast for repairs, over an hour's drive from home. Once I drop it off for repairs, I have to make my own way home, at my own cost. They do not even provide a shuttle bus to a nearby train station or transport hub.

This whole process has been very frustrating and disappointing and there's very little care or willingness to help shown by NRMA staff or their subcontracted provider. Meanwhile my insurance premium continues to increase each year despite the amount my car is insured for being dropping significantly.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Andy. Thank you for providing your feedback on your current claim. I can understand your frustration at having to travel so far for your claim. If you are still having problems with your claim use this link to our Facebook page to reach out via messenger: https://www.facebook.com/nrmainsurance/. Just let us know you're from Product Review and provide your claim number and contact details and we will have our claims team get in contact. ~ Jono

Car insurance claim - Hail Damage

The worst experience I have ever had. I will no longer use NRMA as my insurer. Worst customer service, worst policy. Everything about them has just been terrible. Need the option to give zero star rating, because that's what NRMA deserve.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Wade. I am very sorry to hear you are not happy with our claims experience. We definitely don't like our customers to not be happy with the service and level of cover we provide and I would like to help. Please PM us here with your claim details. Or use this link to our Facebook page to reach out via messenger: https://www.facebook.com/nrmainsurance/. Just let us know you're from Product Review. ~ Jono

Great Customer Service

I have dealt with the Customer Service team a few times. The most recent time I spoke to a lovely man named Ralph. So helpful and kind. I am shocked and sorry to read all these bitter comments regarding something that could not be helped. When something like freakish hail storm happens it makes sense everyone will want the same thing. You will not get what you want straight away regardless whether you've been a customer for 100yrs or 18mnths like me.

Insurance claim madeNo
Thanks for the kind and positive words. We are glad you are happy with the level of service we have provided. This pre Christmas hail storm has certainly thrown up some challengers. ~ Jono

Worst claim department assesors

I honestly do not recommend anyone to insure with NRMA. My car was damaged by the December 2018 Sydney hail storm. I have submitted my claim around 6 weeks ago and till now the claim progress hasnt been resolved. I have the any repairer option on my policy and nrma is playing games with me. Worst claim process. I have had the car TWICE assessed by one of their partnered hail specialist repairers and still NRMA are giving me a hard time.

I should of stayed with GIO i have dealt with them twice in the past and everything was easy and smooth.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Ish. I am sorry to hear you are not happy with how your claim from the December '18 Sydney hail storm is progressing. I would like to would like to help. Could you please PM us here with your claim details. Or use this link to our Facebook page to reach out via messenger: https://www.facebook.com/nrmainsurance/. Just let us know you're from Product Review. ~ Jonoworst insurance by far what a shame! I have called nrma twice since i posted this review let alone the 6+ calls i have already done. Nothing but fake promises. Its been 6 times all up and i cannot get a call back or speak to a manager to get a resolution for my complaint. Enough is enough im taking this further with an ombudsman. I honestly do not recommend NRMA to anyone whatsoever. Woolies insurance are less of a headache! I have already inboxed on facebook.Sorry to hear there has been no resolution Ish, we can provide you with a link to our complaints process with all the details of AFCA for your information. https://www.nrma.com.au/complaints-resolutions ~Kaz

Should have the option to rate NRMA 0 star

Terrible customer service on the phone. Consultant has to check and put you on-hold every now and then. They system there does not even know where your car is and whether or not it is checked by assessor. Ask you to ring the repairer yourself as NRMA's consultant just could not reach them! Once the line cut off, you have to queue in line for another 30min to 45min before getting through to the right department to talk and have to go through your story from the beginning to end.

Could not trust what you have been told by the consultant. It was said the car is to be towed the next day but no one show up! Promised to have assessment done the next day after the car was towed without any follow up. After many calls spending more than 2hr on the phone, the answer is need 48hr from the time we speak but not when it was requested! Supervisor is not reachable as they are too superior to attend to frustrated customers before the set timeframe 48hr.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Sunny. I am very sorry to hear you are not happy with our claims experience. I would like to help. Please PM us here with your claim details. Or use this link to our Facebook page to reach out via messenger: https://www.facebook.com/nrmainsurance/. Just let us know you're from Product Review. ~ JonoI have tried contacting your Facebook team and the online claim team in addition to many hours call with the call center including the customer relationship. Nothing promised happens.Believe I am dealing with liars. Everyone promised to get claim manager who does not even exist to call back.

Nrma has dropped the ball

Been with Nrma for well over 20 years with multiple policies and after someone smashed into me a couple of weeks ago I’ve had a painful time dealing with Nrma, 30 plus minutes waiting every time I ring up, then to be greeted by someone from Bombay, it’s bad enough having to repeat what you say but to have to spell out the whole conversation is a joke and disgraceful what Nrma has done, time to start looking elsewhere.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Steve, thanks for reaching out to us. We are very sorry for the wait, sadly the times are blown out right now due to over 50,000 claims we have received since the storms in December. We are not a part of claims so cannot help directly with claims, but we would recommend you use the web chat service for claims as although there is still a wait you can complete other tasks while you wait and they are open through till 8.30 pm. We do appreciate your understanding currently, and again apologise for the delays but we are absolutely doing everything we can to get all of the claims resolved ASAP. ~Lochy

Do What you need to do!

Been with NRMA for over 35 years and had 5 x policies with them from being one of the best insurance companies to the worst. No customer skills and now one of the most expensive. I have cancelled all my policies now and have gone to other insurance companies that do H E L P.
Shame NRMA.

Insurance claim madeNo
Hi Peter. I am really sorry to hear you have left NRMA after being with us for so long. If there is anything we can do to help resolve anything please use this link to our Facebook page to reach out via messenger: https://www.facebook.com/nrmainsurance/. Just let us know you're from Product Review. ~ Jono

Rubbish service

20 years and will not renew. I am trying to help a friend who is overseas due to a death in the family. They have no concept of the fact that i have been given permission to act on his behalf. To get any sense from them is just pointless as they dont listen. All we want is to know who is going to fix a broken rear canopy window, you would think it was simple, but no it isnt. Many years ago i was with the NRMA road side assistance, as that is what they were about at the time, since then they have grown into an unfriendly un feeling organisation that is all about money and forget the people. Common sense with these people has gone. I have waited for more than 5 hrs over 3 days and i still havent got anybody except a claim number for which they put down the wrong details. To try and use the online chat line is a joke, they have just got it all wrong and forgot what they are supposed to be about. Oh, to come on the news and tell us petrol prices are too high is joke, we already know that and for them to say there is nothing they can do, just about sums up the NRMA.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Mike. I am very sorry to hear you are having such difficult problems with us trying to help your friend with his claim. We do take our customers privacy very seriously and we understand this can cause frustrations. If you are still having problems with your claim use this link to our Facebook page to reach out via messenger: https://www.facebook.com/nrmainsurance/. Just let us know you're from Product Review and we will have our claims team get in contact with you to help get this resolved. ~ Jono

NRMA - Limited choice of repairer

I made a claim on 22-Dec-2018 for damage to my car that was caused by the recent Sydney hail storm (20-Dec-2018). On 18-Jan-2019, my car was finally assessed by NRMA's partner repairer that specialises in the paintless dent repair method and this was 45km from my residential address listed on my Comprehensive Insurance policy. The outcome of the assessment is that my car is 'estimated' to be repaired by NRMA's preferred repairer by 10-June-2019.

A request to assign the hail damage repair to my choice of repairer, who can repair it much sooner, was denied. Previously, I made a claim on 18-Feb-2017 for hail damage on the same car that had NRMA Comprehensive Insurance and there were no issues at all with assigning the repair to my choice of repairer.

This is extremely disappointing considering that I've been a customer with NRMA for over 10 years. It seems that NRMA would like to dictate who can repair your car and have absolutely no concerns for the owner's request to have the car repaired to a standard that they can be happy with. I haven't even started with the numerous hours on the phone with NRMA waiting on hold or being transferred to multiple departments or team members that could not assist me any further.

A royal commission into the car insurance industry is definitely needed and the general public should be made aware of all negative customer experience with NRMA especially, anything that is similar to what I experienced.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Thomas, thanks for reaching out to us. We are very sorry for the wait, sadly the times are blown out right now due to over 50,000 claims we have received since the storms in December. We are not a part of claims so cannot help directly with claims, but we would recommend you use the web chat service for claims as although there is still a wait you can complete other tasks while you wait and they are open through till 8.30 pm. We do appreciate your understanding currently, and again apologise for the delays but we are absolutely doing everything we can to get all of the claims resolved ASAP. ~Lochy

My dream finally comes through i never believe this will happen to me, i am here to share my testimony how dr Oseiboh help me to cast death spell on my uncle who killed my parents because of his company, and the matter was taking to court and was not giving justice because i was not having any prove not until i came across this great spell caster online and i explain everything that happened to me and he promise to help me cast the spell within 48hours that i should send my uncle full name and his picture that is going to confess before he die which i did as he commanded.within 2days my uncle started confessing and finally die. am grateful for what dr Oseiboh did for me and with that i promise to share this testimony to all the viewers around the globe,If you are having similar issues please do contact him,you can contact dr Oseiboh for any death spell, such as to kill your superior in the office and take his or her place,love spell,lottery,pregnancy spell,divorce spell,stop court case and win any court problems,business spell, death spell to kill your father and inherit his wealth ,death spell to kill anyone who have scammed you in the past ,spell for increase in salaries, spell for promotion at the office, spell to get your ex lover back,money spell,if things is not working well in your life then you need to contact him now via email droseiboh12@gmail. com https://droseiboh12.wixsite. com/spell add him on whatsapp line or call +2347017565415.

Completely faultless: someone trying to park damaged my car while mine was parked. If I had the car repaired myself, what is the process of employing a lawyer to sue the driver of the other vehicle for cost of repairs and bypassing my and the other part's insurance?
Hi Len, if you don't want insurance involved, you would need to engage a lawyer of your choice to pursue the at fault party. You could check the phone book if you don't know of one personally.

What is happening to a once trusted icon = NRMA? Have been a member and purchasing car insurance for the last 45 years. Last year's premium has gone up by GIGANTIC 21.5%. Been looking around for other quotes - best is Woolies with same estimated 11,000km pa mileage. Woolies price is 65% of NRMA. Should I make the CHANGE?
That's exactly whom i have changed to about two years ago. . BUT i will be checking for lower rates simply because i will no longer automatically allow a continuance of service with any company without keeping an eye on them. I will stay suspicious to all of them. YOU HAVE TO STAY LOYAL TO YOURSELF..No one is loyal to you. Only you can be loyal to yourself. Review all policies anually. Review utilities providers anually. Do not automatically rip yourself off. Trust no one.The so-called "once trusted icon" NRMA is not really the NRMA. In 2002 NRMA Insurance Limited became Insurance Australia Group Limited (IAG), and IAG controls CGU, NRMA and SGIO. Only the name NRMA is retained in order to keep the long standing customers. We are being fooled, my friends. And then they have the hide to counsel us that we should be "honest" in answering any questions they ask. Len Attard

Similar listings