O Cedar Liquid Furniture Polish

22 questions from our users

Kay P

Kay Pasked

Have a tin marked O'Cedar Mop Polish
Which has different languages on it and was wondering when it was produced.
My late husband unearthed the tin around 30 years ago,and it had buttons in it.
Would love to know more about it?
kayp.08@gmail.com

Mia B

Mia Basked

I love this polish and I have recently used it on my bookcase and unfortunately it has changed the colour of the wood. The wood is a lot darker than it was previously. What is the best way to remove the polish from my bookcase?

Pam F.

Pam F.asked

Please tell me when you will bring back the old All Purpose Polish - (for floors).

Sharon

Sharonasked

Can o cedar be used on wooden stairs. Will this make them dangerous

ALP
ALP

Well when we used it on our Jarrah coffee table it made the surface more slippery, so it probably isn’t recommended for use on stairs.

Loretta

Lorettaasked

Found an vintage bottle of o Cedar furniture touch up polish, says copyright 1942 on bottle. Any idea how old this is and if the contents (1/3rd of bottle) is still usable.

Anne E.

Anne E.asked

Can u use O Cedar furniture polish on an outdoor setting please?

Kerrie Loveless

Kerrie Lovelessasked

My husband decided to bn use ocedar polish to lubricate the fan on our wood heater and as it is heating up the room looks all misty and smells. Will the fumes from the polish be toxic to us?

rhi
rhi

Check our their product information sheet. Outlines toxicity and flammability. Looks like it shouldn't be heated up. You, or a tradie, should take the fan apart, clean it, and grease it up with the appropriate lubricant. http://www.ocedar.com.au/pdf/MSDS_O'Cedar_Furniture_Polish_400ml.pdf

Casper13

Casper13asked

Can you use this on food grade chopping boards?

Michael

No, ocedar is furniture polish only to make furniture look shiny and new. For food grade chopping boards I use vegetable cooking oil.

mal

Definute NO on chopping boards But Veg. oil sounds OK but a good clean then dry WELL is my deal

pitman
pitman

Mineral oil would be better if you live in a humid environment (mold is less likely to grow, and mineral oil is not toxic)

marinatasked

will a few drops of o cedar in a bucket of water ''revive'' a dry looking patio tiled with ''porous tiles''. i would like to revive the ''pebbly look'' of these tiles especially the dark brown ''pebbles''. these tiles are very porous...like a dry skin on the hands. they look like they need ''moisturiser'. thank you for your help' . Marie

mal

Firstly I love this product on my Jarrah boards but have also tried it on my patio beige colour tiles and I found it does make them look clean and smooth but use sparingly as
to prevent them them from being slippery wipe over with dry cloth

marinat

oh thank you. i will not use it neat.....just a teaspoon or two in a bucket of water. the tiles are porous so they will absorb the o'cedar oil and only a slight shine is left. so they wont get slippery. but doing this regularly will 'revive' their colours. i have tried it neat on a sample tile and even then, it was thoroughly absorbed. thanks again mal for replying to my query :-)) marinat

Leigh-chelle K

Leigh-chelle Kasked

I have a ceda wood chest and it has years worth of ceda oil on it and it has collected a lot of dust over the years I would like to know how get the oil of and start again? thank you

Varian X.
Varian X.

Good question. Oil is oil so paint thinner would work but watered down household vinegar would be cheaper and slightly less gross smelling. Probably the best bet would be just mild soapy water (any detergent: dishwashing liquid, laundry powder, hand soap etc.) would clean oil off. I'd try a very sudsy soft bristled brush to get it clean and start again. Anything which you'd use to clean away any other oil or fat and dirt will work but don't drown the timber in any liquid, just a sudsy dish brush you were about to throw out will do the trick I'm sure.

Michael

Hi Leigh have you tried contacting Ceda directly? They may have the solution you are looking for. If you find out please post as I am sure many others would like to know as well.

Wizza

Wizzaasked

I have used the ocedar oil on a piece of furniture by mistake and want to paint it instead , what do I use to clean the oil off so I can paint it?

Mike C
Mike C

Try mineral turps on a test piece. If you are planning to use water based paint, wipe down with methylated spirits after the turps. The turps will however be compatible if you plan to use oil based paint

Dee

Deeasked

I accidentally spilt revive furniture polish on my carpet. How do I clean it off?

Weenie
Weenie

Try using an absorbent cloth, and dabbing with turps.

Amy

Amyasked

Hello. I have accidently covered my wooden floor boards in this product and they have become very slippery. I am hoping someone can tell me what product I can use to remove it? Thanks.

Kevin

Try wiping with undiluted bathroom tile cleaner (don't forget the gloves).then just clean with hot water

Jimbo
Jimbo

shellite, and lot and lots and lots of clothes to mop it up. paraffin oil dissolves in shellite. and you will need lots of ventilation to not get high on the fumes.

Windrush14

Windrush14asked

How do you apply cedar furniture polish and how long does it take to dry?

Kevin

I use the trigger bottle not aerosol and give a fine mist and rub with a soft cloth till shine then after a cuppa rerub with another cloth to lift excess oil.then each other day give a quick wipe with first cloth to keep the shine

O Cedar Superman

Apply with a soft cloth such as cotton undies, after you have discarded them of course. This product is really designed for timber that has not been varnished, but natural timber and the O Cedar soaks into the timber and leaves a delightful fragrance and a superior finish. It dries quickly on natural timber.
BJM

ansneathasked

is this product silicon free?

O Cedar Superman

As I don't have a bottle presently, I am uncertain of its formula. It would be best to ask the manufacturers. It certainly would not have had silicon in it years ago as silicon has been a relatively new additive. I will have to buy another bottle to polish my Christmas table.

Sherie McKay

Sherie McKayasked

I have mistakenly used oil based furniture varnish/lacquer on my freshly sanded floorboards. I've only used one coat. The person gave me the wrong stuff. My question is, is it a big issue? What can happen and for my second coat can I buy proper floor varnish to do them?

O Cedar Superman

Hi Sherie, You do not state what brand of varnish you have coated your freshly sanded floor with, therefore you should be consulting that manufacturer before re-coating. O Cedar will not work with oil or water based coatings! It was designed for bare timber that had been sanded and polished. 10 years ago I had three bedroom floors that are concrete, covered with Tasmanian Oak. After the workers had laid the timber floor, they sanded it, thickly coated it with a hard polyurethane varnish, re-sanded a day later and did a second coat of poly which they poured on and then rolled out giving a very thick hard coating. It stank for many days but finished up looking great. Since then the termites have eaten it and I am now in the process of removing 12mm thick flooring that has been glued and nailed into the concrete. Back to carpet for me. I really think you should consult with and get several opinions from paint specialists before continuing. Sorry I can not be of more help.
Regards and best wishes,
Brian

Pam Davis

Pam Davisasked

Where can i buy O`Cedar Liquid Furniture Polish?

RYZR

Hi Pam - I buy mine from my local Woolworths supermarket (Malvern, VIC).
My Google serach found the following info - and no I don't work for them I just think it's a great product!

Distributor details are:
O’Cedar Pty Ltd
Contact Details: 121 Cecil Street
South Melbourne, Vic 3205
Ph: +61 3 9608 8700
Fax: +61 3 9686 9955

Pursiah
Pursiah

My local IGA stocks this product.

tigercjn
tigercjn

Coles also stock it and we also saw it at Bunnings

Kerry Holmes

Kerry Holmesasked

Where can I get this in Sydney? Have used it and thought it was great. Tried Coles, Woolworths and Bunnings.

rex
rex

Kerry iam in country Victoria and I was able to get it at woollies they keep heaps of it
Rex

RYZR

Kerry, I buy mine from my local Woolworths.
Ask for the grocery / store manager if no joy on shelf.
I have had success with them restocking my favourite brand of garbage bags (Multix) before by having this conversation.
Good luck and please post your result!
Cheers,

PRS OIL

PRS OILasked

What are the ingredients of O'Cedar Furniture Polish?

buyastihl
buyastihl

I dont know, you might need to contact O'Cedar for that information

roger sharman

roger sharmanasked

Is ocedar oil ok for paintwork on cars?

Lordknaps
Lordknaps

Wouldn't think so. It's a WOOD polish. Bottle states " protects, cleans and shines all types of wood. !!

Get an answer from our members and O Cedar representatives