Onga Hammerhead

Onga Hammerhead

• Pool Size
LesleyPerth, WA

Second time round .. working better than the last one

This is the second Onga hammerhead I have purchased .. seems to be working better than the last ... bought a deflection wheel so it doesn’t get stuck in corners but the wheel seems to catch on everything else like jets etc .... still a good value cleaner does its job ... happy so far

Purchased in February 2021 at Pool and Spa Warehouse Online store for $300.00.

Chris7
Chris7AU

Best by far - owned 2.5 years

Purchased in October 2018 for $295.00.

Robbie
RobbieSouth East Queensland, QLD

These are great for the price

I had a different pool cleaner prior to buying this one and I spent so many hours trying to get it to cover the pool properly, was so frustrating as it wasn't cheap. Plus the genuine pool hoses were forever breaking and splitting and were expensive. From the first day I installed this it took off and I never had to touch it. Did a great job. I even took it with me when I moved house as I couldn't be without it. Over the years parts start to wear but it still keeps going. Plus the hoses it comes with don't need replacing. Cant kill it.

Purchased in June 2012 for $350.00.

TimCentral West, NSW

owned one for 4 years cleans half the pool

This is a great no fuss cleaner. Throw it in the pool and let it go to work. Does a better job than hand vacuuming, the oscillating action really picks up the fine dirt. Gets chocked on some leaves and twigs, but rarely needs any cleaning. Biggest problem and the reason I won't buy another one and mine just died. Is that it only really cleans half the pool. The jets force it to the skimmer box end fights to get away. This is probably an issue with jet placement by the pool companies rather than the hammerhead design.

Purchased in December 2016 for $300.00.

reviewer
reviewerSouth East Queensland, QLD

Great product for the price

Received it very quickly from bestpoolsupplies.com.au
Installed with only a little modification required to fit the threaded adapter into my skimmer box top.
Kept getting stuck in the corners of our small 7x3m rectangular pool, but but following the suggested fixes, I've managed to get it moving fairly randomly.
Key was getting the weights in the right place to allow part of the hose to sink.
Very happy with the product and the supplier.

Purchased in July 2020 at www.bestpoolsupplies.com.au for $295.00.

Noise Level
CGR
CGRSouth East Queensland, QLD

Gets stuck. Supplier unable to help

Bought this cleaner six weeks ago. I have a small fibreglass pool and it kept getting stuck in the corners, not moving for as long as the pump is on. I have subsequently purchased the deflector wheel which has not helped - the cleaner still gets stuck.

Contacting the distributor (Pentair) did not help. They came back with the same suggestions that were in the manual. When those ran out they advised me to keep trying, that some fibreglass pools "have problems with suction cleaners."

I have no option but to chuck it and buy something else.

Purchased in June 2020 at Best Pool Supplies for $340.00.

LesleyPerth, WA

Not the best ... sometimes works most of the time it doesn’t

Very frustrated with this cleaner ... was working ok , i still had to mess around with it ... now it’s useless ... plate won’t lie flat hardly moving ... I have done everything re troubleshooting ... don’t waste your money .. sick of spending hrs on this with no result and still a dirty pool

Purchased in October 2017 at Pool and Spa Warehouse Online store for $280.00.

Annie
AnnieQueensland, Australia

Was good until the plastic perished in under 3 years.

Initially It worked pretty well after we got the weights sorted out but the skirt fell off rather than wore through and then I noticed the darker plastic bits were all perished, discoloured and sticky.
Pentair blamed my “pool water chemistry” so not a warranty issue for them to deal with ...it was in a salt water pool , never over chlorinated and under a pool cover most of the time and I didn’t have this problem with my previous pool cleaner (zodiac) after 10 years let alone 3 years. I expected to get a bit longer out of the cleaner and was disappointed with Pentair. Won’t buy another one!

Purchased in April 2017 for $299.00.

Chis
ChisSouth East Queensland, QLD

Now working well.

Product worked well until it began laying on its side, like a few others here have found. I pulled the body apart and found a 2 cent plastic ball supposed to be a flotation and stabilizing device had ruptured and was full of water. Quite useless really! I used a soft pool ball as a replacement, put it back together and " bingo", It's back doing what it its supposed to do. Ridiculous prices for replacement parts ie, New bodies, for $160 plus dollars and you get a pathetic 2 cent plastic ball again. Same problem. So far, so good.

Purchased in June 2018.

Greathawks
GreathawksAU

Rubbish product

I have had an Onga Hammerhead pool cleaner for a while now and it is useless. It never sits flat and continually gets stuck at various points around the pool. I have a kidney shaped pool. I have tried altering hose lengths, moving the weight around and still nothing. Would not recommend.

Grant
GrantSouth East Queensland, QLD

Works well - mostly.

Purchased in September 2017 at Best Pool Supplies for $249.00.

Great product

I have a half kidney half rectangle concrete tiled pool it is surrounded by a large amount of palm trees also trees .I purchased the onga with deflector to stop it getting stuck after reading reveiws 10 saying great 10 saying junk .I have to say I am happy it picks up everything without fuss .previous cleaner was $99 ebay special heap of junk that I didn't purchase.purchased the onga from pool and spa warehouse with in line leaf catcher and hose for $329 bought deflector separately. Very happy for the price.

Purchased in April 2019 at Pool and Spa Warehouse for $330.00.

rockyah
rockyahSydney, NSW

Good value pool cleaner

Bought it to replace my Polaris, which needs its own pump and controller regularly got stuck or just didn't move at all and needed its expensive mesh net cleaned and periodically replaced.
So far in terms of cleaning the Hammerhead been absolutely great and the the 'dust tracks' that left by the Polaris have essentially disappeared. The cons are it sometimes gets stuck in one right hand corner and momentarily sucks air, and also it seems to produce very loud 'hammering' on our pool surface (quartz). Any advice in this regard?

Purchased in October 2019 for $295.00.

Saltneil
SaltneilSydney, NSW

Doesn't Sit Flat on Floor of Pool

This can't sit flat on the pool. Change number of hoses, weight distribution etc. Piece of junk and no help from my previous review. So frustrated. Should pick up leaves and dirt but doesn't. I would also like to thank the makers of this for not taking time to answer what should be a concern to your product. This has been on this website for 2 weeks + and no reply. Pure class.

Purchased in October 2019.

Brett Syd
Brett Syd

Garbage, Gets Stuck on Steps, useless

Purchased this to replace my Aldi one that died after 4 years. Garbage. Doesnt pick up dirt nor leaves. Doesnt sit flat on pool floor, despite trying every option with weights and house length. Connections to Skinner box all poor, just vibrates off. Gets stuck on stairs and in corner. 4 times price of Aldi Force but useless. Will bin it and try buy the aldi one when it comes on sale.

Purchased at Pool and Spa Warehouse Online store for $300.00.