Pet Insurance Buying Guide

If you're a pet owner, you probably agree there’s nothing worse than your dog or cat getting sick or hurt. But what happens when vet bills are sky high? Pet insurance can grant you peace of mind, helping your pet get the treatment they deserve, without sending you broke.

Read now

2.0

Alina D

Alina DSydney, NSW

Will try to exclude your pet unfairly and unethically

Total peace of mind

We recently insured our 8 year old Labrador and our new Labrador puppy with PetCover. The consultants were friendly and very clear about the policy inclusions and cost. When our 6 month old puppy required shoulder surgery PetCover paid the full claim (minus excess) within 2 days. They are professional, reliable and ethical.

Number of Pets2 pets

Ellen B.

Ellen B.Perth, WA

Value for money, but beware of excess!

This policy is easy to set up and claims are processed quickly. The policy is worth investing in, and covers a large range of issues and emergencies, but beware of excess fees on claims.

Great service!

Policy was easy to set up. We have had to make a claim recently, I did it online. Form was a little difficult to find at first but the claim was settled in less than a week. Very easy process.

Quite expensive, but having the 3rd party cover gives me such peace of mind

Having to complete paper forms to claim is a bit of a hassle, and my cover went up by around 30% after the 1st year. That said, it is comprehensive and given my puppy has a clotting disorder I'll need it for the rest of his life and I am guaranteed cover.

Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks

Kayla

KaylaPerth, WA

Amazing Customer Service and Fast Claims

Pet cover are not the cheapest insurer on the market but they actually pay out your claims to your bank account and for me it’s always within 24 hours of lodging the claim.
The girls in the claims department are located in Australia and are understanding and actually lovely . I highly recommend pet plan /pet cover and have been with them from when my breeder registered my Rottweiler boy when I picked him up . I suppose you pay for what you get with insurance and paying more gives me 100% of my bills back and also knowing they will pay out my claims when I lodge them.
Thanks Pet Plan :)
Kayla & (Vinnie- the Rottweiler )

No Incentives to Pay Upfront & Not Provided Best Policy Advice

Call for advice, not told of percentage share plan until I specifically asked, ie, 75% reimbursement as opposed to 100%. Dont offer reduction in premium for paying lump sum upfront as opposed to monthly installments. Should provide incentives for our business!

Pet Type(s) InsuredCat
SupportPetcover

Totally let me and my dog down

My dog has been insured with PetCover since she was 8 weeks old - EIGHT WEEKS - and now I am told that she has never had life cover so she can only be covered for new illnesses. She's 12. Go figure. Do not use them.

Number of Pets-2 pets
gmgm

gmgm

Rude and useless

They took over two weeks to send me quotes after my 4 week free cover. Then said they would have to start a new policy at another price because i hadn't renewed in time, despite my ten phone calls. Useless and rude

LisaSydney

Terrible

Dot VB

Dot VBCanberra

So Disappointed

Jodie dale

Jodie dale

Rude and incompetent - bye bye from long term customer

Insurance claim madeNo

How can they be operating

bigbob67

bigbob67

Painful claim process

Been with this company for 7+ years, have only made two minor claims. Yet each time they make things as hard as possible, with ridiculous follow up questions and forms...which come 1-2 months after you submit a claim.

I also have health insurance for myself, if i ever have to make a claim manually i get the money paid into my account within a matter of days! Why on earth does it take so long here?

Time to start looking for a company that isn't underwritten by Allianz.

Insurance claim madeYes

Don't buy this insurance for your animals - seeks others

OldManDingo

OldManDingoSydney

Avoid avoid avoid!!!!

Have been with this company for more than 5 years. I made my first claim more than 3 months ago and still no word from them! I rang them at the 2 month point and was told the claim was being held up because a) they had sent faxes to my vet asking for a full history of my pet but haven't heard anything back (I then rang my vet who advised me that they have never received any of these alleged faxes) and b) because this is the first time I have ever made a claim and first time claims always take a while.

This company is a joke. You are better off pocketing the premiums that you would pay to them and using that money to pay any vet bills that may come up.

Deceptive, rude, actually everything!

Kathryn

KathrynMelbourne

Worst insurance I've ever had

This is the most disorganised, rude, unhelpful and inefficient company I've ever dealt with. Claims take up to 6 weeks minimum and you are paid by cheque so add another week to clear it! Don't dare ever try and call. If you do, expect to be cut off at least 4 times, kept waiting for up to 30 minutes to ask a simple question and don't expect an answer.

lennyk

lennyk

Terrible customer service; A struggle to make a successful claim

I have had pet insurance with Petcover for more than 5 years. During this time I have made 3 claims (one on my dog and 2 on my cat). In each instance the Company made it very difficult to claim. Claims were denied in each instance and it took a lot of extra paperwork and letters to the Company before payment was forthcoming. I am still waiting for the outcome of my third claim. It took 5 weeks before the Company even looked at it. Insurance should never have to be this hard!!!

they are quick to take payment for your premiums but getting payment for your claims is hard work

Plogs

PlogsAU

So very disappointed

We have been with them for a no of years and cannot get one cent back! We are leaving to go somewhere that actually will pay occasionally. All they have done is taken our money! The last thing is that our dog had a crucial e ligament replaced in right leg them went in for observation of left leg a couple of months later - they will not pay on the opposite of anything I'd legs/ears etc because they are weakened - what a load of hogwash!!! Go with anyone but this mob - they just want ure money!!!!

Can't get Claims Dept to Pick up Phone