Petmed

See the Best Pet Insurance in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Trish Lavery

Trish LaverySouthwest, VIC

Excellent caring but professional service, in every way. Thank you

Good value.
Previously had senior pet policy in 2017/2018. ( Returned customer).
Understanding when making claims. ( previous pet policy)
Would recommend pet insurance if you are looking for a decent policy for your “senior”, fur pet.

Number of Pets1 pets
Pet Type(s) InsuredDog
Claim MadeNo

Enrico

EnricoSydney, NSW

What to expect?

The claim process takes approximately 1 month and not like they say, always delays, they keep asking further details via letter so weeks of delay +5 days for money to transfer even if nowday exist live money transfer

Number of Pets1 pets
Claim ApprovedYes
TinaP

TinaPRoselands

Best Pet Insurence

Have had 3 dogs insured with Petmed. They were the only company who would insure my 9 year old shihtzu. This was the reason we insured all dogs with Petmed. Unfortunately 4 months after insuring our older dog, she suffered an unexpected trauma and had to be put down. The whole process putting in a number of claims in relation to this was so easy and we even got a sympathy letter from Petmed regrading the passing of our older dog Sacha. Thank you Petmed. .. humans work here.

Lauren

LaurenMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

"Ultimate" Policy - Ultimate Rip-off

Insurance claim madeYes

Do not use this Petmed, Premiums collected promptly but they will give you plenty of excuses

Absolutely useless

Was unable to find policy via my name, phone number or policy number - line frequently got cut off...can't handle something as basic even finding us...

Insurance claim madeNo

JLT

JLTSunshine Coast

Absolute Rubbish

Worst claims service i have ever experienced, and i work in insurance so i have had my fair share of bad claims service.

The claims are outsources to a call center in the Philippines who have absolutely no idea about insurance policies or an idea about anything at all.........

Absolutely ridiculous length of a claim that should have been sorted out quickly as it was so straight forward.
Have since cancelled my policy and insured elsewhere.

Eva

EvaHarvey

They lock my account and do not cancel my renewal policy.

Insurance claim madeYes

Couldn't get past the worst Administration to convert quote to policy

Insurance claim madeNo

Rubbish

Started out well, but for the money you pay, the returns are not worth it. Got rejected an emergency claim because they have a 30day waiting period for illness. Then went to cancel the policy for our other dog, and told I have to pay out the full 6 months remaining on the policy. Hardly fair that I'm now locked in to a rubbish policy for BOTH dogs until mid and end of year. Regret choosing them and will cancel when they 'let' me

Julie

Julie

Never go near this company!

L Harry

L Harry

Insurance for my dog

My 3 yr old dog had an accident, snapping a tendon in her back leg. Placed a claim on Thursday- Received my payment on Tuesday ( This period included a long weekend). Quick turn around time. very pleased for my first claim.

Maria

Maria

Pet Med didn't disclose dental exclusions when we took out policy

Pet Med didn't disclose dental wasn't covered when we took out policy.

Our burmese cat needs to have an incisor removed (and maybe more) and related blood tests. We have always fed our burmese special oral care biscuits because burmese can have issues with their teeth.

Rang Pet Med today to discuss our first claim. They advised the policy doesn't cover dental. They said it is in the fine print.

If we had know we would have gone with a different insurance company. When discussing exclusions (when taking out the policy) they didn't make any mention of this.

We are very disappointed.

Jano

JanoPerth

Value for money and excellent service

The policy is value for money, we had our first claim processed and they explained the whole process from what is needed, thanked us for the info, and confirmed processing time and was processed when and how they advised. Wish ever company was this efficient!!

nads67

nads67SYDNEY

Routine care not worth the extra cost

Don't bother with the routine care option,it costs about $5 more per month & you will get that back once per year if you claim so not really worth it. The consultation fee limit of $300 is ONLY for accident/illness, doesn't include seeing vet for vaccinations etc
Now I'm advised that if I want to drop the routine care from my Ultimate policy,it will cost me more!

Rip off

Policy excess is rip off. Received 4 cents on a claim for over $150 then received $2.45 from an emergency vet visit that cost me over $250. What a joke.

Terrible, Rip Off

Every claim I made they stated that it was not covered. Expecting 80% of our money each time and not receiving any because they have excess charges of $99 each time you make a claim was never stated to my partner or I. We bought the best cover and the pet insurance each month actually cost more than our own health insurance. The customer service couldn't help and I would not recommend to anyone. They have put us out of pocket alot of money and we wish we didn't even bother.

Jords

JordsBrisbane

Saved our dogs life

Recently our pet had a bad case of pneumonia which was life threatening in the end the bill was close to $3000 and if we didn't have cover Oscar would have had to be put down. I am so happy we took this policy as it literally saved our dogs life, we are happy to still have Oscar in our lives.

SallyR

SallyRSydney

Great peace of mind

We signed up for petmed about 2 years ago and our dog poppy has had a couple of trips to the vet - claims were easy we got 80% back and they now have an online claiming method which is pretty easy. We had to send some history in which the vet actually got a bit cranky about but he said that's the same for all insurance.

Ren89

Ren89Victoria

Large claim we couldn't afford

It was a large claim and we did have to provide the history, we were worried because we could not afford the bill but the claim was paid 80% of the bill it did take more than a week. The insurance did make a stressful time so much easier.

Sandy

Sandyasked

I have accidental Pet insurance with AFS PetMed. The only claim ever made was when my Golden Retriever ate an entire ball and this was paid no problem. (It involved a lot of vomiting!)
However premiums have shot up from $22 to $35.50 per month and I have 2 dogs covered, so I'm now paying $70 per month!! I am thinking of swapping to Bow Wow Meow as their premiums for same cover are $38. Reviews seem favourable.
My question: Why do premiums go up for ACCIDENT cover? Surely older dogs are more sensible, less likely to run off and do stupid things and are generally slower in every way - it doesn't make sense! I understand premiums rising for illness cover, but I've never had mine covered for this. Has anyone ever queried this?

Beary
Beary

We did a bit of research and spoke to the staff at Petmed they told us they do not have accident only insurance and all theirs is all comprehensive that covers sickness as well, Our vet advised us to get comprehensive, he told me that the accident only plans are the ones he sees a lot of people unhappy because many problems are classed as an illness even if you think it is an accident. What if your dog gets an accidental illness? Maybe you should check your policy or give them a call.

Duciasked

What is the best pet insurance company?

Ken Macleod
Ken Macleod

I here Woolies are doing a good job. Note there is only one underwriter in Australia, though there are multiple companies that look like they are insuring you. Hollards - a South African company.

Duci

I am with Woolies but I heard that Bow Wow Meow are ranked the #1 pet insurers ranked by over 500 people. I did read testimonials and they are very good. I am thinking to switch over.

JackC
JackC

Be very careful about swapping insurers for your dog because you will not be insured for everything if you have claimed before, once you claim for something it is going to be pre existing when you go to the new company, stay with who you are with right now if you have made any claims. My friend found out the hard way and her dog is not covered for some things that can happen again. You can fill in a form after I think 1.5 years and they might get rid of the preexisting condition rule.

Get an answer from our members and Petmed representatives

Petmed Young Pets