Petmed
See the Best Pet Insurance in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for Petmed? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

• Claim Resolution Time
    • <1 week (1)
    • 1-2 weeks (3)
    • 2-4 weeks (1)
    • 1-2 months (2)
    • 3+ months (1)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (6) · No (2)

Highly recommend!

Joined Petmed 3 years ago, had many claims for our little one and all paid quickly. Kept informed of the process along the way. Couldn’t be more happier with this pet insurance.

Anna
AnnaSydney, NSW

15 years - never paid a single claim

I've been with them 15 years. Waste of money. It's not clear what is covered - you have to submit invoices and wait for around 2 weeks to hear back, and I've never had any of my rare claims accepted. I've had much better value from my house insurance - quicker responses and clearer coverage. I would not go with this company again. I've just asked them if my dog's recently diagnosed chronic condition would be covered and received no specific answer - it seems you just submit invoices and hope for the best but cannot get advice for potential claims going forward.

Other Pet Insurance

Like a dog with a bone....they don't give up

When I emailed PetMed to call me (my direct debit details had changed) - these guys really didn't give up, It took them about 14 calls over a week, before we connected (all my fault). So impressed that they kept trying. Not as impressed with the call centre wait time in queue though.

Althom
AlthomPerth, WA

OK on 1st Claim and then down hill from then on.

Helen G
Helen GSouth East Queensland, QLD

Best choice for price, communication and ease

I've been with PetMed for nearly 15 years with two of my dogs and they are fair, quick to respond, and great communicators. The online portal makes everything super easy.

Best Super Funds in 2020!

Wendy Z.7 Nov 2019
best-super-funds-in-2020

Best Credit Cards in 2020!

Wendy Z.19 Nov 2019
best-credit-cards-in-2020

What Is Peer-To-Peer Lending?

Nathan S.14 Nov 2019
what-is-peer-to-peer-lending
EBOKAKO
EBOKAKOGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

They didn't pay my claim and then kept taking my money after I cancelled my policy

Irina
IrinaSydney, NSW

Petmed helped us to care for our beloved dog!

I found it was difficult to find a reasonably priced insurance company that covered the needs of senior dogs.
Petmed was an insurance company I felt provided good value for my senior dog who had no ailments prior to signing up. When my dog was diagnosed and required medical treatment, each claim to Petmed was processed in a timely and consistent manner with no issues and information about remaining cover after each claim was also clear. Petmed helped us to care for our beloved dog for 3 years until his passing. From my experience, Petmed is a great insurance company - particulalry for owners whose pet is approaching their senior years.

Brilliant service and cost effective

I have been 2 years with Petmed and had several claims that were easy to lodge and were handled quickly. To be able to insure my dear old Lab means everything.

Janet
JanetPerth, WA

Highly recommendable pet insurance

We have been with Petmed for over 4years and we have both our Staffys insured chilli and pepper we are so happy we made the decision to take out insurance with your company you are easy to deal with and very prompt with claims we highly recommend anyone with a pet to take out your insurance

Trish Lavery
Trish LaverySouthwest, VIC

Excellent caring but professional service, in every way. Thank you

Good value.
Previously had senior pet policy in 2017/2018. ( Returned customer).
Understanding when making claims. ( previous pet policy)
Would recommend pet insurance if you are looking for a decent policy for your “senior”, fur pet.

Enrico
EnricoSydney, NSW

What to expect?

The claim process takes approximately 1 month and not like they say, always delays, they keep asking further details via letter so weeks of delay +5 days for money to transfer even if nowday exist live money transfer

TinaP
TinaPRoselands

Best Pet Insurence

Have had 3 dogs insured with Petmed. They were the only company who would insure my 9 year old shihtzu. This was the reason we insured all dogs with Petmed. Unfortunately 4 months after insuring our older dog, she suffered an unexpected trauma and had to be put down. The whole process putting in a number of claims in relation to this was so easy and we even got a sympathy letter from Petmed regrading the passing of our older dog Sacha. Thank you Petmed. .. humans work here.

Lauren
LaurenMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

"Ultimate" Policy - Ultimate Rip-off

Insurance claim madeYes

Do not use this Petmed, Premiums collected promptly but they will give you plenty of excuses

Absolutely useless

Was unable to find policy via my name, phone number or policy number - line frequently got cut off...can't handle something as basic even finding us...

Insurance claim madeNo

Read more reviews - page 2

Althom
Althomasked
Seniors

How can any insurer justify a 25% increase in premium?

Sandy
Sandyasked
Petmed

I have accidental Pet insurance with AFS PetMed. The only claim ever made was when my Golden Retriever ate an entire ball and this was paid no problem. (It involved a lot of vomiting!)
However premiums have shot up from $22 to $35.50 per month and I have 2 dogs covered, so I'm now paying $70 per month!! I am thinking of swapping to Bow Wow Meow as their premiums for same cover are $38. Reviews seem favourable.
My question: Why do premiums go up for ACCIDENT cover? Surely older dogs are more sensible, less likely to run off and do stupid things and are generally slower in every way - it doesn't make sense! I understand premiums rising for illness cover, but I've never had mine covered for this. Has anyone ever queried this?

Beary
Beary

We did a bit of research and spoke to the staff at Petmed they told us they do not have accident only insurance and all theirs is all comprehensive that covers sickness as well, Our vet advised us to get comprehensive, he told me that the accident only plans are the ones he sees a lot of people unhappy because many problems are classed as an illness even if you think it is an accident. What if your dog gets an accidental illness? Maybe you should check your policy or give them a call.

Duciasked
Petmed

What is the best pet insurance company?

Ken Macleod
Ken Macleod

I here Woolies are doing a good job. Note there is only one underwriter in Australia, though there are multiple companies that look like they are insuring you. Hollards - a South African company.

Duci

I am with Woolies but I heard that Bow Wow Meow are ranked the #1 pet insurers ranked by over 500 people. I did read testimonials and they are very good. I am thinking to switch over.

JackC
JackC

Be very careful about swapping insurers for your dog because you will not be insured for everything if you have claimed before, once you claim for something it is going to be pre existing when you go to the new company, stay with who you are with right now if you have made any claims. My friend found out the hard way and her dog is not covered for some things that can happen again. You can fill in a form after I think 1.5 years and they might get rid of the preexisting condition rule.

Compare both Petmed