Pet Insurance Buying Guide

If your dog or cat becomes sick, pet insurance can help get the treatment they deserve. For a better idea of how pet insurance works, continue reading so you can make an informed choice.

Read now

• Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks (3), <1 week (2), 1-2 months (2) and 3+ months (1)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (7) · No (1)

Highly recommend!

Joined Petmed 3 years ago, had many claims for our little one and all paid quickly. Kept informed of the process along the way. Couldn’t be more happier with this pet insurance.

Anna

AnnaSydney, NSW

15 years - never paid a single claim

I've been with them 15 years. Waste of money. It's not clear what is covered - you have to submit invoices and wait for around 2 weeks to hear back, and I've never had any of my rare claims accepted. I've had much better value from my house insurance - quicker responses and clearer coverage. I would not go with this company again. I've just asked them if my dog's recently diagnosed chronic condition would be covered and received no specific answer - it seems you just submit invoices and hope for the best but cannot get advice for potential claims going forward.

Claim DateOctober 2020
Claim ApprovedNo

Like a dog with a bone....they don't give up

When I emailed PetMed to call me (my direct debit details had changed) - these guys really didn't give up, It took them about 14 calls over a week, before we connected (all my fault). So impressed that they kept trying. Not as impressed with the call centre wait time in queue though.

Claim MadeNo

Althom

AlthomPerth, WA

Rapid assessment & settlement of claims

Only insurance brand we could find that would provide cover for a 9 year old rescue dog. Claim experience thus far is that claims are assessed and processed rapidly. Only con is no dental coverage at all.

Claim Resolution Time<1 week
Claim DateOctober 2020
Helen G

Helen GSouth East Queensland, QLD

Best choice for price, communication and ease

I've been with PetMed for nearly 15 years with two of my dogs and they are fair, quick to respond, and great communicators. The online portal makes everything super easy.

Claim Resolution Time<1 week
Claim DateSeptember 2020
EBOKAKO

EBOKAKOGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

They didn't pay my claim and then kept taking my money after I cancelled my policy

Claim Resolution Time3+ months
Claim DateMay 2020
Irina

IrinaSydney, NSW

Petmed helped us to care for our beloved dog!

I found it was difficult to find a reasonably priced insurance company that covered the needs of senior dogs.
Petmed was an insurance company I felt provided good value for my senior dog who had no ailments prior to signing up. When my dog was diagnosed and required medical treatment, each claim to Petmed was processed in a timely and consistent manner with no issues and information about remaining cover after each claim was also clear. Petmed helped us to care for our beloved dog for 3 years until his passing. From my experience, Petmed is a great insurance company - particulalry for owners whose pet is approaching their senior years.

Claim ApprovedYes

Brilliant service and cost effective

I have been 2 years with Petmed and had several claims that were easy to lodge and were handled quickly. To be able to insure my dear old Lab means everything.

Claim DateNovember 2019
Janet

JanetPerth, WA

Highly recommendable pet insurance

We have been with Petmed for over 4years and we have both our Staffys insured chilli and pepper we are so happy we made the decision to take out insurance with your company you are easy to deal with and very prompt with claims we highly recommend anyone with a pet to take out your insurance

Number of Pets2 pets
Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim DateSeptember 2019

Trish Lavery

Trish LaverySouthwest, VIC

Excellent caring but professional service, in every way. Thank you

Good value.
Previously had senior pet policy in 2017/2018. ( Returned customer).
Understanding when making claims. ( previous pet policy)
Would recommend pet insurance if you are looking for a decent policy for your “senior”, fur pet.

Claim MadeNo
Enrico

EnricoSydney, NSW

What to expect?

The claim process takes approximately 1 month and not like they say, always delays, they keep asking further details via letter so weeks of delay +5 days for money to transfer even if nowday exist live money transfer

Pet Type(s) InsuredCat
Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim DateFebruary 2019
TinaP

TinaPRoselands

Best Pet Insurence

Have had 3 dogs insured with Petmed. They were the only company who would insure my 9 year old shihtzu. This was the reason we insured all dogs with Petmed. Unfortunately 4 months after insuring our older dog, she suffered an unexpected trauma and had to be put down. The whole process putting in a number of claims in relation to this was so easy and we even got a sympathy letter from Petmed regrading the passing of our older dog Sacha. Thank you Petmed. .. humans work here.

Lauren

LaurenMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

"Ultimate" Policy - Ultimate Rip-off

Insurance claim madeYes

Do not use this Petmed, Premiums collected promptly but they will give you plenty of excuses

Absolutely useless

Was unable to find policy via my name, phone number or policy number - line frequently got cut off...can't handle something as basic even finding us...

Insurance claim madeNo

JLT

JLTSunshine Coast

Absolute Rubbish

Worst claims service i have ever experienced, and i work in insurance so i have had my fair share of bad claims service.

The claims are outsources to a call center in the Philippines who have absolutely no idea about insurance policies or an idea about anything at all.........

Absolutely ridiculous length of a claim that should have been sorted out quickly as it was so straight forward.
Have since cancelled my policy and insured elsewhere.

Eva

EvaHarvey

They lock my account and do not cancel my renewal policy.

Insurance claim madeYes

Couldn't get past the worst Administration to convert quote to policy

Insurance claim madeNo

Rubbish

Started out well, but for the money you pay, the returns are not worth it. Got rejected an emergency claim because they have a 30day waiting period for illness. Then went to cancel the policy for our other dog, and told I have to pay out the full 6 months remaining on the policy. Hardly fair that I'm now locked in to a rubbish policy for BOTH dogs until mid and end of year. Regret choosing them and will cancel when they 'let' me

Julie

Julie

Never go near this company!

Sandy

Sandyasked

Petmed

I have accidental Pet insurance with AFS PetMed. The only claim ever made was when my Golden Retriever ate an entire ball and this was paid no problem. (It involved a lot of vomiting!)
However premiums have shot up from $22 to $35.50 per month and I have 2 dogs covered, so I'm now paying $70 per month!! I am thinking of swapping to Bow Wow Meow as their premiums for same cover are $38. Reviews seem favourable.
My question: Why do premiums go up for ACCIDENT cover? Surely older dogs are more sensible, less likely to run off and do stupid things and are generally slower in every way - it doesn't make sense! I understand premiums rising for illness cover, but I've never had mine covered for this. Has anyone ever queried this?

Beary
Beary

We did a bit of research and spoke to the staff at Petmed they told us they do not have accident only insurance and all theirs is all comprehensive that covers sickness as well, Our vet advised us to get comprehensive, he told me that the accident only plans are the ones he sees a lot of people unhappy because many problems are classed as an illness even if you think it is an accident. What if your dog gets an accidental illness? Maybe you should check your policy or give them a call.

Duciasked

Petmed

What is the best pet insurance company?

Ken Macleod
Ken Macleod

I here Woolies are doing a good job. Note there is only one underwriter in Australia, though there are multiple companies that look like they are insuring you. Hollards - a South African company.

Duci

I am with Woolies but I heard that Bow Wow Meow are ranked the #1 pet insurers ranked by over 500 people. I did read testimonials and they are very good. I am thinking to switch over.

JackC
JackC

Be very careful about swapping insurers for your dog because you will not be insured for everything if you have claimed before, once you claim for something it is going to be pre existing when you go to the new company, stay with who you are with right now if you have made any claims. My friend found out the hard way and her dog is not covered for some things that can happen again. You can fill in a form after I think 1.5 years and they might get rid of the preexisting condition rule.

Compare all 2 Petmed