Pet Insurance Buying Guide

If your dog or cat becomes sick, pet insurance can help get the treatment they deserve. For a better idea of how pet insurance works, continue reading so you can make an informed choice.

Read now

• Claim Resolution Time<1 week (177), 1-2 weeks (170), 2-4 weeks (84), 1-2 months (44) and 3+ months (26)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (445) · No (29)

snapback

Relatively expensive, but worth the extra (in my opinion).

I have two border collies insured with Petplan. I have now made one claim for each of them, and on both occasions the claim was paid without question. I did a lot of research prior to choosing Petplan, and found there was Petplan and then there was the rest of them, which are all underwritten by the same insurance company. The other plans all had multiple conditions and limits set for various illnesses/injuries and payments up to a certain percentage of the total bill, but Petplan was straightforward having an annual limit and no individual limits, plus a fixed excess. Petplan is more expensive, but in my opinion it is worth the extra. I plan to stay with Petplan until my dogs no longer need insurance :( .

Claim DateNovember 2020

Quick payment, transparent

My claim was paid out within 3 business days of my vet sending the paperwork off. Whilst premiums have increased year to year and may be slightly more expensive than other insurers, it has still paid for itself many times over with the treatment my dog has received. I find the policies easy to understand and transparent about what is covered or not covered, and it is great there are no sub-limits on conditions or surgeries. This is where I feel Petplan is superior to other companies as I feel confident making claims that I will receive the money back. It would be better if the claims process could be done entirely electronically rather than having to fill out a hard copy and scan it in for submission.

Pet Type(s) InsuredCat and Dog

Best pet insurance

We have been with Pet Plan for over 4 years and whilst we have not had to claim for our dog, we have had to claim for both our cats and I could not be happier with both their service and the claims process. I have put in a number of claims and all have been approved and reimbursed very quickly.
When our cat passed away following a claim they were so helpful and understanding. I would recommend Pet Plan to anyone.

Find out how Petplan compares to other Pet Insurance

Reliable, fair, fast & a relief

Our dog of almost 13 years was diagnosed with a rare neck tumour with no options for him to survive. While the outcome was awful, visiting different vets to get a diagnosis, getting a very expensive MRI, CT, a stay at emergency for two nights and so on, came to over $6500 within a matter of weeks. Without Petplan, just getting the diagnosis and care in his last few weeks would have been impossible. Turnaround was fast and we even received a refund dated from the day of his death to the day we cancelled. So, thank you.
The other time we had a significant-ish claim, it was also quick and easy. If we ever get another dog, we'll definitely use them again from day one. Compared to RSPCA pet insurance, I highly recommend Petplan.

Claim DateSeptember 2020
Jan

Jan

Pet plan pluses and minuses

Claim DateSeptember 2020
Maree

MareeSydney Surrounds, NSW

Pet plan has saved my life and my 2 dachshunds lives- Im so grateful Ive been with them for nearly 10 years.

Pet plan has saved my 2 dachshunds lives on at least 3 occasions now . I'm so grateful Ive been with them for nearly 10 years and they have paid out 100% for 3 IVDD surgeries and all their rehab and hydrotherapy for my 2 dachshunds less the $150 excess. I think Petplan has paid over $30k on my dogs surgery and rehab now over 5 years. I constantly recommend them to everyone I meet who has a dachshund.

Claim DateAugust 2020

Nina

NinaSydney

Claims service is terrible, premiums have gone up significantly, older cats hit with 30% extra excess on all claims.

Pet Type(s) InsuredCat
Jenni

JenniPerth, WA

Another review on the unwarranted premium increase

Didn't review my policy until I checked my bank account and my premium has increased over 30% for a not yet three year old maltese shih tzu cross. The excuse of the 'profile' of the breed requiring the increase is not acceptable.
The arrogance of both your customer service and loyalty staff members is beyond comment.
I'm off to insure elsewhere.

Ivan L.

Ivan L.South East Queensland, QLD

UPDATED: ISSUE RESOLVED Employees play pass the buck – no genuine customer care

Pet Type(s) InsuredCat

Elle

ElleSydney, NSW

Not worth it

Our insurance premiums have suddenly almost doubled. Our pets are still young ‘uns and we’ve never made a claim! We decided to cancel. Pet insurance might be a good idea if you have a breed prone to issues, but for healthy mongrels/moggies it’s not worth it.

Number of Pets5 pets
Pet Type(s) InsuredCat and Dog
Vanessa

VanessaPerth, WA

Very disappointing

The monthly premium for our dog went up by almost 60% (!!!) on renewal this year. (From $54.20 to $85.93.)

He is 2 years old, mixed breed, extremely healthy. He’s been insured since puppyhood. We’ve never made a claim.

I asked for information on why it increased so much. Petplan unwilling to explain, beyond a generic list of possible reasons that didn’t apply.

Customer service clearly couldn’t be bothered to look into it - when I asked if it could be a mistake, they immediately said definitely not, but wouldn’t give any further details.

Very disappointing. We’ve cancelled the policies for both our dogs.

What a relief!

Petplan was recommended to us from the breeder we used and our regular vet. From the moment our Golden Retrieve ate a heap of chocolate.. i knew we definitely needed pet insurance! 1 year last. and our golden retriever ended up with a huge vet bill after ending up in ICU with gastro! Even though we had to outlay the expenses first, Petplan reimbursed us within 2 weeks of lodging our claim (minus the excess of $150) Insurance literally just paid for itself!

Claim DateJuly 2020

Liz

LizSydney, NSW

Relieved

Claim DateJuly 2020

Significant Premium increase :(

We have been with PetPlan for almost 2 years. We have just received our plan renewal and it had increased by 36%. This is very excessive. Call Centre were not able to review our policy or help in any way.

Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Jodie
Jodie

Policy number - MCNA-0223

Darren Fraser

Darren FraserGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Fantastic

We have been with Petplan for 7 years and are very happy. Very easy to communicate with and any claims have been hassle free and promptly paid each and every time

Laura Ricca

Laura RiccaSouth East Queensland, QLD

Best insurance in terms of coverage

Merran Wilson

Merran WilsonSouth East Queensland, QLD

Misinformation & petty beaucrocracy

Felt the policy was good value when I signed up my 8 week puppy. HOWEVER at no stage was I told that the cost (unlike human health insurance) would increase dramatically based on my pets increasing age. I did keep premiums however and finally had an emergency to claim for when she was nearly 8 years old. I was absolutely gobsmacked when I was asked for a full veterinary history!!! I asked why & was told she might have had a pre-existing condition. From prior to 8 weeks old????? And which hasn’t troubled her for 8 years??? Bureaucracy at its best. Claim was however dealt with promptly to give credit where it’s due. However I would have liked to be more informed when closing the policy

Happy Customer

Happy CustomerWestern Australia

Fantastic Cover and piece of mind

Fantastic service. Fast and efficient claims process. Two claims already for our five year old red heeler, both expensive knee surgeries. Petplan was recommended to us by a family member and we have been beyond impressed with them. Only negative is the paperwork claims process. We will be insuring our next pet with Petplan for sure. Great job!

Highly Recommend

No problems at all with Petplan insurance. Processes claims quickly and without question. No hassles. Have looked after our dog through several major surgeries. Highly recommend this company and its products.

Carly S.

Carly S.Sydney, NSW

Perfect plan

Our Vet recommended Petplan for our miniature Dachshund & I’m so happy we’ve stayed with them. Daisy had an incident recently & Petplan was no issue & we received reimbursement so quickly. Thank you Petplan!!!

Claim DateApril 2020

Gerrard W.

Gerrard W.asked

Hi-
Seen some of the feedback about increases in premium. Has anyone experienced any increases lately? Thinking of insuring our cocker spaniel.

snapback

Yes, I heard of horrendous premium rises by Petplan, but only through heresay. One of my dog's premiums came up for renewal this month, and the premium rise was less than $10/month, which I think is quite acceptable. I had a $1000 claim paid out too. So I reckon these stories may well be coming from the competition as scare tactics. I recommend Petplan, as the other insurer(s) all have sub-limits on claim types and injuries/illnesses on top of their total annual limit, whereas Petplan is just a straightforward when you reach your annual limit that's it. Disclaimer: I am not associated with Petplan in any way other than being a policyholder (two policies, actually).

Dear Gerrard,
Thank you for reaching out and we are more than happy to give you a little more insight into this topic.

The premium payable on all general insurance products is subject to change, even if your individual circumstances do not appear to have changed. This is because premiums are affected by multiple factors including the general costs of doing business and changes to the way your risk is assessed.

Factors which may affect the premium include your pet’s breed, age, location, individual claims history and increasing costs associated with providing veterinary treatment.

We provide more details in our FAQ section on our website and our friendly customer service team is always happy to explain any questions over the phone.

We hope this answers some of your questions and would love to have you as part of our Petplan family.

Regards, the Petplan Social Team

Angry

Angryasked

Petplan

Does petplan cover hip dysplasia or other breed prone issues?

snapback

You would need to ask Petplan themselves to be sure, but my opinion is that they would, as long as you started the insurance of the dog at an early age, such as when they are a few months old. If you leave it until the dog is older, not only would your premiums be much higher, but they might add conditions, which may exclude certain medical conditions.

Hi There,

Petplan cover the treatment costs of illnesses, accidents and injuries that are not pre-existing or have occurred within the waiting period. All cover is subject to terms and conditions. For more information please visit https://www.petplan.com.au/ or call us on 1300 738 225.

Debbie

Debbieasked

Petplan

Stamp duty why is it included

Hi Debbie,

Stamp Duty is a government duty payable on insurance products. Stamp Duty is not set by Petplan.

Kind Regards,
Mireia
Petplan Social Team

Get an answer from our members and Petplan representatives

Compare all 7 Petplan
Minimum Pet Age 8 weeks8 weeks8 weeks8 weeks
Accidental Injury CoverIncludedIncludedIncludedIncluded
Illness CoverIncludedIncludedIncludedIncluded
Routine Care CoverNot IncludedNot IncludedNot IncludedNot Included
Tick ParalysisIncluded (not limited to a set amount or number of incidents per year)Included (not limited to a set amount or number of incidents per year)Included (not limited to a set amount or number of incidents per year)Included (not limited to a set amount or number of incidents per year)
Emergency Boarding Fees$1,000$1,000$500$500
Lifetime Cover Not IncludedIncludedIncludedIncluded
Cooling Off Period21 Days21 Days21 Days21 Days
Consultation FeesUp to $1,000 (included in Complementary Treatment & Alternative Therapy cover) & $7,000 (included in Veterinary Fee cover)Up to $2,000 (included in Complementary Treatment & Alternative Therapy cover) & $10,000 (included in Veterinary Fee cover)Up to $2,000 (included in Complementary Treatment & Alternative Therapy cover) & $9,000 (included in Veterinary Fee cover)Up to $2,000 (included in Complementary Treatment & Alternative Therapy cover) & $10,000 (included in Veterinary Fee cover)
Cruciate Ligament ConditionsNot IncludedNot IncludedNot IncludedNot Included