Petplan

Does not pay full claims with no explanation why

I have made several claims with PetPlan where they will not pay the full claims and they offer no explanation why. Emails to their customer service and complaints departments are ignored and only resolved when I get the ombudsman involved. Very incompetent company you should avoid. Definitely not worth the premium you pay to be with PetPlan.

Claim Resolution Time3+ months
Claim DateJune 2018
Claim ApprovedNo
Hi Tim, Thank you for taking the time to review us. Sorry to hear that there has been a lack of communication on our behalf regarding the reasoning for your claim payments. If you are happy to share your policy number, I can have one of our team members look into this further for you and be able to provide you with more information. Jess Petplan Social Team

Giving credit where it’s due...

Both of my dogs (Labradors 8 & 9) have been insured with PetPlan all their lives. Yes, I was annoyed when the premiums almost tripled overnight a few years ago - and yes, they do rise each year, and it is quite expensive now.
However, PetPlan have paid out literally thousands, and thousands of dollars in claims for both of mine - I have never had any problems whatsoever claiming. Granted, sometimes the process can be a little slow, but it is much easier now that you can email your claim in and get your reimbursement straight to your bank account.
In the last 6 month, one of my dogs has had both cruciate ligaments rupture - the operations were close on $4k each, plus another operation on her front paw, which was approx $1500. PetPlan covered everything (almost $10k !), except the $150 excess on each operation. The most recent cruciate ligament surgery was 11/02, I lodged my claim 12/02, received notification that it was being processed on 14/02 - and had an email this morning (15/02) that the claim was approved and payment to my bank account has been made.
I don’t know if I am just “lucky”, but PetPlan has been very good to me (and my dogs !) over the years. I am also meticulous with the paperwork that I submit to them with my claims - whilst it can be an arduous task, it definitely works in my favour to do so.
I just wanted to put a “positive” in here amongst all the negatives. Thanks for reading :)

OK
OK
Number of Pets2 pets
Claim Resolution Time<1 week
Claim DateFebruary 2019
Claim ApprovedYes
Hi Brooke, Thank you for taking the time to review us! We completely understand your frustration in the price increase. Unfortunately, this was something that we could not avoid due to our change in underwriter. Breed type, age, location, veterinary costs, medical costs and the cost of advancements in technology and science all contribute to the price of premiums. The increase is needed to provide the best available cover for you and your pet. However, we are glad to hear that we have been able to support you in providing the care that both of your Labrador's have needed over their life times. As you mentioned, when the claim forms are filled in completely with all the necessary information attached, we are able to process claims much quicker, therefore reimbursing our customers sooner. Once again, thank you for the review. We hope your Labradors are both doing well now! Jess Petplan Social Team

Most expensive, least cover, no communicatio

We have been with Petplan for nine years and on the ninth (when it is hard to change to any other for our dog)our premiums went up by about 40%. Sure other policies go up at that age too, but Petplan is one of the most expensive. Further, if you compare with others Petplan is the one of the only to have excesses, we have a $120 excess for each condition, which makes it more like an emergency or accident cover (since vet visits need to be more expensive before you meet the excess threshold). Moreover, you never get any real explanation as to why something was or wasn't paid out; there is no clarity around these calculations enabling you to check they are correct and communication on this when requests are made are unsatisfactory, and you have to fill in cumbersome and poorly designed forms for each condition which are so time consuming our vet charges to fill these out. If you have a choice definitely go elsewhere and don't end up stuck like we are. I was horrified to read below they don't cover eurhanasia- I hope that is not correct- these people definitely need to be looked at more closely by regulators.

Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim DateNovember 2018
Hi there, Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I understand your frustration with your price increase. Unfortunately, this is not something we can avoid. Many different factors and variables contribute to calculate insurance premiums. For pet insurance these include breed, age, location, veterinary costs and medical costs. Premiums are adjusted to compensate for these costs. Apologies for the lack of communication regarding your claims. If you are happy to share your policy number, I can have a team member look into this further for you and be able to supply you with more information. With regards to our form process, we will take your feedback on board to help improve our services and make the claims process easier for our customers. Jess Petplan Social Team

Read reviews before you commit!!

This is the only insurer at my vet that will not process online and therefore you go into a roundabout of paperwork, emails and phone calls.....and then wait and wait. Apparently they are sort staffed!!! not my problem.
When I called to enquire about cancelling my policy I ask were they interested as to why? Person on phone not sure who to refer to as they only do claims! I suggested CUSTOMER SERVICE DEPARTMENT ???? but person on phone still had no idea where to divert call too...…. I give up......I'm out of here!!

Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim DateDecember 2018
Claim ApprovedNo
Thank you for taking the time to review us. We will take this feedback on board in order to help improve our claims process. We are sorry to hear that you have left us, and felt we could not provide a better service to you. We wish you and your pet the best of luck for the future. Jess Petplan Social Team

bad service and very slow to pay a claim

put a claim in 5 weeks ago, after 3 phone calls and them going back to the vet 3 times still no pay out

excuse was because we haven't claimed in 3 years they have to follow up with the vet again. oh and they are busy !!!!!!!!!

staff nice , but Im sure they read form a script and do nothing.

worst insurance service ever

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Pete, We’re sorry that has been the case. If you’d like, please direct message us your policy number, that way we can look into it further for you. Plus, provide you with more information and options. I can assure you that our staff do not read from scripts and are working extremely hard to get through claims as quickly as possible. Jess Petplan Social Team

Terrible communication and customer service

I have been with this company for 6 years. If I could, I would cancel my policy but my dog is now 14 years old.
Extremely poor communication from Petplan and extraordinarily bad access to them via phone for any queries as a customer.
Today (Friday), I waited 1 hour and 5 mins to speak with someone as I do not trust their call back service. That person said that they only had one person answering the the phone today!!!
My concern with their refusal of part of claim even though they have been paying for this drug for 2 years was unable to be addressed until Monday due to a lack of staff.
No information is ever provided as to why claim refusals are made unless you contact them directly.
For the last 3 claims I have made, the dollar amount of the claim added up by the Vet and I has never been concurred by Petplan and each time you need to call and ask them to add it up again. Every time, the calculation made by the Vet and I has been correct!
Don't bother - set up an account and pay money into it monthly and you'll end up far better off and with less stress!

Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim DateJanuary 2019
Claim ApprovedNo
Hi there, Our deepest apologies that you have run into some trouble when trying to contact us. With regards to your recent claims, this does sound quite concerning. If you are happy to share your policy number with me, I can have our claims manager look into this further for you. Hopefully we can get your issue resolved soon, and at least provide you with some more information in the meantime. Jess Petplan Social TeamIt is now 1 week since I called and was assured that problems would be resolved. I have not heard anything and my pet has passed away in this time. Today, I am again on hold to Petplan - 2 hours and no answer - yet you are "available to chat 7 days a week"!!! Lift your game Petplan - not acceptable!Hi Sarah, I'm very sorry to hear that. Our deepest condolences from everyone at Petplan. Have you managed to get through? If not please share your contact details with me and I will get someone to contact you. We know how hard this time can be so we do not want to add anymore stress for you. Jess Petplan Social Team

Terrible terrible terrible

Have tried to contact this company on numerous occasions for simple requests for information (ie. didn’t receive policy documents when first started, ask if a particular claim is covered, ask if my claim form had been received) and end up waiting for at least half an hour to talk to anyone every single time. Tried using the voice mail system once only to receive a recorded message saying the mailbox is full and the call cut out. Tried to make a complaint after the most recent contact and was told to send an email with my complaint. After spending 30mins waiting for someone to tell me you haven’t received my form I am not about to waste more of my time by going to write to you to tell you how terrible your service is. I will be cancelling my policy and taking my business elsewhere. Sort out your customer service pet plan.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi there, Our sincere apologies that you have struggled to get through to us and that there has been a lack of communication on our end. If you are happy to share your policy number with me, I can have the appropriate team member get in contact with you. This way you can discuss the issues you have been dealing with and we will try to solve them for you. Jess Petplan Social Team

Never had such trouble with insurance

I have had my dog insured for his entire life...6 years with Petplan and never attempted a claim until 4 months ago. They have taken over $7000 dollars from me in this time. My dog is extremely healthy thus the lack of any claims. So now they are putting me through hoops to avoid paying out because my dog ate a bait one day accidently knocked out of a high cupboard ( not by me). He is fine by the way. He ONCE went to a vet in the country for a bee sting. Supposedly I waited 2 months for that vet to submit the appropriate paperwork. They say he was uninsured when he was a baby puppy for a couple of weeks....excuse me! My breeder recommended this company they used to be good. Things have changed dramatically. You cannot phone them then their message service cuts you off. Today I had a conversation with reception at their info email contact. She phoned claims to say there were no outstanding claims to pay. I think I will pass out with exhaustion. I would avoid this company at all costs. They are very expensive and offer non existent customer service...and thats according to a vets opinion also. I expect I will not be compensated...they will find another hoop and then hope I go away. Shame Petplan. You need to do better. ..hopefully this gets your attention.

Insurance claim madeYes
Well finally I was able to check my account and my claim was honoured. It is upsetting that it takes a review website to get attention and this was published by accident. I was hoping to hold back and give them a chance but when I tried to edit my original comment it posted. I think more people need to be employed to answer phones at Petplan at the very least.Hi Helen, Glad to hear that your issue has been resolved. Apologies for the lack of communication and the stress this may have caused you whilst waiting for your claim to be finalised. We have taken your feedback on board to help improve our services. Jess Petplan Social Team

No Communication

No matter what we try whether it is phone calls or emails we can never get through to someone. We have issues with a claim and it took 2 months to even get a response and then when we want to challenge the decision we cant speak to anyone. They ignore our emails and their phone number always rings out or goes to voice mail which they never reply to.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Mitchell, Our deepest apologies that you have struggled to get through to us. I am happy to pass on your details if you wish to have a member of our team contact you. You just need to send us a private message including your name and policy number so that I can look into your policy for you. Hopefully we can get your issue resolved this way. Jess Petplan Social Team

Lifetime exclusions snuck in on renewal.

I have been a multi policy for approximately 4 years. I have had 2 claims on one of my equine policies. One was for lacerations on the horses leg, the second claim was in 2017 for Colic. These claims were honoured by the company. My dis -satisfaction comes from my latest renewal which has had a lifetime exclusion for Colic sneakily added in. (Fortunately I noticed this). On contacting Petplan to ask why, I was informed that they will only pay for a condition, within 12 months of the condition first occurring. So because the horse had Colic once in 2017, he can never be covered for a Colic event again.....even though any new bout of Colic would be totally unrelated to the 2017 event.
Stand alone bouts of Colic are acute conditions...it is not a chronic illness. If he were to experience another stomach upset it should be considered as a new condition....this is not the case. When I asked if he would be covered if he cut his leg again, (even though it would be unrelated to his previous injury,) would that get dismissed too because he’d already had a similar claim, the response was “ we would consider the claim and then make decisions”
It appears that Petplan are one hit wonders when it comes to pay outs.
Coupled with the massive premium increase 12 months ago, they have lost me.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Leah, We're sorry to hear that you are unhappy with our service. With regards to whether you would be covered if your horse were to cut his leg, we consider every claim once it has been submitted and are not able to give any pre-approvals before looking into each case. Therefore, we are not able to give you an exact answer as this could be considered as a pre-approval. Due to vet and medical costs, advances in technology and science, and breed types, we have had to increase our premium prices. This is needed in order to provide the best available cover for our customers and pets. I would be happy to organise a call for you with a member of our team to discuss your policy options before you make a decision. I just need you to share your policy number and name with me over private message so that we can access your policy. Jess Petplan Social TeamThanks for your response. I have already spoken to a Petplan Representative. What I consider to be an unfair exclusion is the deal breaker. I will be banking the equivalent premium payments for 2 horses into a separate account...at $220 per month it won’t take long to have my own self funded cover. Yes...in the short term, (until the nest egg builds), it might be a risky move, but I have lost confidence in Petplan, so I might as well bet on the horses maintaining good health for the next 6 months, rather than bet on Petplan.

If You Care for Your Pet Do Not Use Petplan

8 years.
Be careful anyone thinking about going with Petplan.
Across an 8 year period every time my cat was sick they increased the excess and the premiums in the end to nearly double the premium and only 50% paid out on a claim due to additional excesses.
Additionally it's important to note that even with the top cover they don't cover euthanasia.
It's not cheap euthanasia is $900 and I'm really not sure how your meant to manage a loving pet that is dying in pain if you don't have $900 to provide them with a pain free death that they deserve having given love their whole lives.
Euthanasia is not an easy decision to make and I can assure you a vet will not recommend it unless it’s absolutely necessary, to not cover it is inhumane.
Petplan however require you to take your pet home and have it die in pain in the house, seriously there is no other alternative if you don’t have $900.

Additionally the longer you are with them the less you get back on your claim.
God help you if you make a claim, your premiums and additional excesses are so high to the point that it is absolutely not worth it.

I recently paid out $3000 which included euthanasia for my cat I was paid back $1495 and I was on their very top pet cover plan.
Additionally I was told it would take 10 days to process and be prepared for an additional 5 days to receive the paperwork in the mail.
To top it all off, they sent me a bereavement postcard and GOT MY Name Wrong!!
Talk about adding insult to injury!

I sent the claim on the 13th December by registered, overnight express post.
It took them 5 days to acknowledge receipt and another 17 days to inform me what they were giving me back(less than 50% and as of today the payment is still not in the bank.

After 8 years with Petplan I leave them feeling nothing but vile disgust for the company.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Kate, Our sincere apologies that you feel you have had a disservice by Petplan. Unfortunately, we do have to increase our premiums over time. This is due to vet and medical costs, advances in technology and science, and breed types. This is needed in order to provide the best available cover for our customers and pets. It does also clearly state in our PDS that Euthanasia is not covered. It is not true that the longer you are with us, the less you get back on your claim. However, more claims mean that there will be exclusions put on your policy. This may mean that over time the more you claim, the less you will be able to claim for. We are very sorry to hear that you are unhappy with your 8 years with us at Petplan, despite us covering your claims over the years. We wish you well in the future. Jess Petplan Social Team

$800 claim they paid $28

Absolutely disgusting, I made a claim for my pet who had been insured for 3 years, she had a simple procedure but they won't pay the consultation, anaesthesia, medication or the follow up tests relating to that claim. So what exactly is the insurance for? I've wasted three years of premiums on this company.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Alicia, Apologies that you have run into some trouble with us when making your claim. If you’d like, please direct message us your policy number, that way we can look into it further for you. Plus, provide you with more information and options. Jess Petplan Social Team

Fantastic experience

We've got 2 pedigree cats and have been with Petplan for about 2.5 years now. We discovered our 2nd catl had a heart murmur when he was about 5 months old. Claim submitted to PetPlan and they came back to me with one question - has he been to any other vets since we have had him. Once answered, they paid out immediately excluding the excess. He now has to have annual checkups including ultrasounds which are very expensive. PetPlan pays out immediately, they answer emails quickly and as we had the excess on the original claim, we have never had to pay another excess for this condition. And, the pay out 100% of the claim for what is covered. Most insurance companies we looked at only pay out 80%. I cannot fault PetPlan, for us the experience has been fantastic.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Yvette, Great to hear that you have had such a pleasant experience with us! Thank you for your feedback Kind Regards, Thomas Petplan Social Team

Never use this company

I have been with Petplan for 7 years and have never made a claim on behalf of my healthy 10 year old border collie. I was completely upfront when taking out the policy and told them Billie had a skin allergy. They excluded any conditions relating to skin disorders for 2 years but promised a review after that date. They never did, and skin disorders are still excluded from my policy. But here's the kicker. The policy started modestly at $564 pa, but in the last three years, premiums have increased at 25% annually. My my recent increase (Billie turns 10 in February 2019) was from $1188 to $1484 annually. That's right folks, more than most private health insurance for humans. And maximum coverage? $14,000 less 20%, plus I pay the first $150.
My advice.....unless you know your dog is going to doggie heaven before he or she reaches the age of 7, DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY

Insurance claim madeNo
Hi Robert, We're sorry that you feel this way. Premiums are constantly reviewed by our underwriter to accurately match the level of risk of insuring a pet. As I’m sure you are aware, this includes variables such as breed, age and the technological advancements in the veterinary industry. If you would like to discuss this further, please let me know. If so, please provide us with your policy number. Kind Regards, Thomas Petplan Social TeamThomas, this is a standard computer generated reply. If you wished to, you could easily find my policy, now cancelled....Robert Breakwell, 4/1 Cowderoy St St Kilda West, pet Billie, 9 YO Border collie. I hope that at some stage there will be a Royal Commission into the insurance industry, to expose predetary practices employed by companies like Pet Plan, taking advantage of vulnerable pet owners. As a minimum, in your product disclosure document, you should indicate that insurance holders can expect 25% plus annual premium hikes as their animal ages. Please forward this to the people in the big offices upstairs.Hi Robert, Please know that this thread will be passed onto senior management. We value all of the customer feedback that we receive. So please be assured that we will take this on board. Whilst you are no longer with us, we wish you all the best. Kind Regards, Thomas Petplan Social Team

Avoid Petplan

Every year the cost of the policy has gone up by a large amount, the lastest one went up by $467.00, this is not a typo and they pay substantially less on claims. Coincidentally my pet is now 9 years old and no other pet insurer that will take on my pet because the age of my small breed dog is considered geriatric. I have since found out that it was no coincidence the premium increased substantially each year as claims were made because now my pet has ongoing medical conditions even if my pet was younger than 9yo no other pet insurer would touch her either. So now Petplan can apparently do and charge whatever they like, which means charging more to insure my pet than I do for my house and contents.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi There, We are sad to hear that you feel that way, premiums are reviewed and adjusted each year to reflect the risk of insuring particular breeds and the ages of pets. In addition, the rising cost of veterinary services in Australia means that premiums will be continually assessed. Thank you for your feedback Kind Regards, Thomas Petplan Social Team

Will NOT choose PetPlan for pet insurance again.

I have been with PetPlan for many years. I made a claim in September. No contact from them. I emailed them in October upon the death of my beloved pet. No contact from them. I left numerous voicemails. No contact from them. I have since sent my final email to them and may need to proceed to the Ombudsman. I have spent thousands of dollars caring for my pet and paying this insurance to ensure my pet is covered in case of an emergency. This is the way people who do 'the right thing' are treated. Appalling. I have two more claims to make through them. Avoid. One star rating is too much.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi There, Apologies about the inconvenience that you have experienced. Please provide your policy number so that I can look into this for you. Please let me know if there is anything else I can assist you with. Kind Regards, Thomas Petplan Social Team

Keep away!!! Huge premium increases year after year!

I've been with Petplan for 6 years, with 2 dogs. My premium increased 40% this year, despite no claims. Same thing happens every year. It's a rip off! They know that you're tied to them because if you've ever made a claim, that condition will be automatically excluded by any other insurer. Therefore, it's really hard to change insurance companies, because the new policy won't cover you for your existing conditions (which is what you're most likely to need to claim for in the future). Petplan knows that and they jack up their premiums to make more money off you. Every year I ring them and they give the same rubbish excuse that the underwriter reviews the premiums every year. These sorts of increases don't happen in other insurance industries.
Petplan get horrible reviews for a good reason. Shop around very carefully before getting pet cover.

Insurance claim madeYes

Worst service EVER!!! Do not use this company.

I have had 8 years on top cover. My dog passed away in a road accident and she was insured for accidental death. They have ignored my claim for months. Refused it and closed the claim without telling me. Then at my request they reopen the claim and say I can't get my money because she doesn't have a purchase receipt (from 9 years ago!!) Now they say they will only pay market value for her (as a 9 year old - who keeps that?!) but they want a pedigree certificate first which I don't have because she wasn't a pedigree. - they didn't ask for a pedigree cert when they took my money for 8 years.
Completely useless and completely unresponsive. Left messages and wrote emails. Please don't use this company and spread the word.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Alex, Our sincere apologies that this has been the case. If you are happy to share your details with me, I can have a look into this for you and have someone get in touch to discuss your options. Jess Petplan Social TeamHi Jess, I have been speaking to someone regularly and unless I provide proof of purchase and a pedigree cert I have been told I can only get market value for a 9 year old chihuahua. I find it very distressing that you are making it so difficult after the trauma of watching my dog get run over in a hit and run. WHEE006-DST-00002641Hi Alex, Apologies about the delay. I have a look into the system and can see the your issue has progressed and resolved. Is there anything else I can help with? Thomas Petplan Social Team

Happy to take your money but no communication when claim made - Appalling service

I have been with PetPlan for 8 years. Submitted a claim mid October 2018 and heard nothing from PetPlan. Had to follow up on status of claim and have made three calls now and each time I have had the same answer "its being reviewed because its over the value that they can approve" and they will get back to me at the end of the day with and email (and this has not happened on every occasion they promised to do so). When I ask to speak with someone who can provide me with more details, it appears they I cannot. Do Management / Supervisors not have phones? The Management of PetPlan are cowards and should not handicap their forward facing customer service representative but not equipping them with information to assist customers. Internal procedures need to be reviewed and those who are in charge of decisions need to be accountable and speak to the paying customers they rely on to keep their business going. Best bit of this was I was advised that even though the paperwork submitted by the Vet stated that we had to euthanize our dog, I would still need to email them and advise that the policy needed to be cancelled or they would still take payment. What the?

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Lisa, We're sorry to hear that this has been the case. If you are happy to private message me your policy number, I can have a look into this for you. Jess Petplan Social TeamHi Jess, pity it takes a complaint to get a personalised response from PetPlan. It appears after the published complaint was made the issue was resolved but it shouldn't take a complaint to resolve what was normal policy claim. Sorry but we will never use PetPlan again nor will we recommend to anyone.Hi Lisa, Our sincere apologies that the claim response took longer than you had hoped. It was not resolved due to your complaint via this channel, as we did not have your policy number. But we're glad to hear that the claim has now been resolved for you. Thank you for your feedback. We will definitely take this on board in helping improve our services. Jess Petpan Social Team

Terrible pet insurance company!!

My insurance premiums went up by 333% with a multitude of exclusions in the 6 years that I was with Petplan despite having never made a claim. Also Petplan put an exclusion on my policy when I took out the policy 6 years ago which I proved was not justified so they removed it only to keep putting it back on the policy every year.

I sent a letter of complaint to them by registered post which was signed for but like all communications with them over the past 6 years they didn't respond to me so I cancelled the policy.

As a veterinary nurse I used to recommend them to pet owners but I won't be doing this anymore. My only regret was I didn't cancel the policy years ago!

Insurance claim madeNo
Hi Lorraine, Our sincere apologies for the experience that you have had with us. We value all of the customer feedback that we receive - good and bad. So please be assured that we will take this on board to help improve our offering and customer service. Whilst you are no longer with us, we wish you all the best for your's and your pet's future. Jess Petplan Social Team