Powershop Australia

Powershop Australia

Not so good

They can make you jump through hoops to get discounts. Going to their site and choosing a range op discount options. The initial price was cheap but before long they were much more expensive. This is based on my experience over 12 months ago so may be better now. Tango much better.

ServicesElectricity
Hey Fred, sorry you didn't feel like you had the best experience with us. At Powershop we have a different model where you have to "shop" to lock in the best discounts to cover your past, present and future use. We realise this isn't for everyone, so we have a product called PowershopLITE. This is our set and forget option which is simply a monthly bill paid by direct debit or credit/debit card (or bi-monthly for gas). We're glad Tango is working for you, however please feel free to reach out at any time if you want to have a chat or come back. Cheers, Peter

Good help from customer service

I recently stopped using Powershop , and because of this I had some issues regarding my end-of-account reconciliation, and accessing billing history as access to the app was closed.

I sent an email to Powershop and received a very courteous replay (within 24 hours) advising me how to access billing history through the website, and also how the final credit was distributed.

I appreciate their good help.

ServicesElectricity

Easy to use, fantastic service

When I moved house a few months ago, this was the ONLY utility company that made it easy. They set up my power within a day. The few times I have had to call them they do not leave me on hold for long periods of time, they know who I am by my phone number, and they have been friendly and helpful. I now have solar installed, and again, it was an easy process to switch. I love the app and seeing my usage each day which helps me regulate my power usage.

ServicesElectricity and Solar Buy-Back
Hey Naomi, thanks for the awesome review! Don't hesitate to get in touch if we can help with any solar Q's :) Peter

Give these guys a wide berth

Electricity.
Avoid PowerShop like the plague. We recently (3 week ago) had a fraudulent transaction on our cr card and was advised by our bank to cancel and reissue. Within 12 hours of receiving an email from PowerShop (we hadn't yet called and given them the replacement card) saying the old card had bounced, we received a call from a woman called "[name removed]" at a company called Milton Graham (debt collection agency it turns out). I just called and spoke the so-called Head of PowerShop's credit department to advise the new card number and of course ask the obvious question, "Why is a debt collection agency calling us at all???"
Response: Its just our procedure.
So long PowerShop. If you spent just 1% of the time /money your clearly spend advertising and promoting yourselves to procure NEW clients on your EXISTING, you might churn through fewer of them.
Bye!

ServicesElectricity
Hi Andrew, thanks for sharing your thoughts. This seems like a poor experience and I don't think our internal processes have been explained very well.Please feel free to send us a private message, and I'd be happy to discuss further with you. Cheers, PeterToken, meaningless words versus meaningful, client-centric actions. It's the tendency/hallmark of businesses destined to fail. For anyone looking for options, try Momentum Energy. My wife and I have just transferred our electricity from Powershop to them. A much cheaper deal (with long term commitment not just short term bait as a lure for new customers which many have, Origin is a big offender there) and better first impressions of service.

Powershop Solar Feed in Tariff a bit sad

I’m in the process of getting Solar Power and I’m already a customer of Powershop. I chose Powershop primarily because of its sustainability ethos but I think a solar feed in Tarif of 10.2c kWh back to the grid for NSW is a bit dismal when you got the likes of AGL who offers 20c kWh. Also the general 12% discounts you get from buying Power Packs before your due date still leave you paying more than many other energy providers which is a bit of a con because you get penilised heavy for paying on time. I like the app and the energy consumption tools but is it enough???

ServicesElectricity and Solar Buy-Back
Hi Mel, thanks for sharing your thoughts. Firstly, we're glad that you're enjoying the app & consumption tools we offer. We try to be as competitive as possible with our rates & feed-in tariff, and we're happy to do a comparison for you if you think you've found a better deal. Regarding our discounts, remember that there's a Mega Pack which offers you a 15% discount if you can pay three months at a time, and our spot specials offer additional savings a couple of times a month. Cheers, PeterThanks. A comparison against AGL and Diamond Energy would be great thank you as their feed in Tarif is better than yours and this is a major factor for me now that I have solar. I feel like a green provider such as Powershop should be give better feed in Tarifs especially when compared to anoth green provider such as Diamond Energy

Terrible service. Told me 3 times I would have a smart metre installed since I joined last year.

Terrible service bad communication and they need an honest complaints manager. Never been so disappointed with a company before and there is no excuse and apparently it is happening to many others... more formal complaint coming

ServicesElectricity
Hi Neil, thanks for sharing your thoughts and really sorry to read that there have been delays with your smart meter installation. We're very keen to follow this up as a priority - either send us a message through here or send an email to complaints@powershop.com.au and we'll be in touch. Thanks, Peter

Faultless service, great app and very cheap prices.

Have been with Powershop for six months now on their Powershop Lite plan, and can't recommend it enough. The service from day one has been fantastic, setup and connection was a breeze and done the next business day, and the rates are incredibly competitive with almost every other energy retailer - plus there's no gimmicky discounts for paying on time etc, it's just cheap no matter what. The app is also terrific, very easy to understand, sends push notifications for when my account is up for review and the next bill will be coming, and it's super easy to put in my meter reading, which they actively encourage you to do - means a more accurate bill and better tracking of how much energy I'm using. Love it.

ServicesElectricity
Hey Matt, great to read such an awesome review. Glad you're enjoying your time with us, and don't hesitate to reach out if we can ever assist with anything. All the best, Peter

Expensive! Terrible! Worse energy company I have been with.

The way they bill is to choose different discount packs and it’s always for a time period that’s in advance. So you prepay for a period and it’s estimated rates.

Too expensive !
They complicate and confuse you with their supposed power packs discounts but mostly it’s estimated rates that you are paying for.
Very very complicated and expensive

ServicesElectricity
Hi Emilia, thanks for taking the time to write a review. I’d love to clarify a couple of the points you’ve made. If you have a basic meter, we’ll only get a reading every three months from your distribution network. This means that the usage data is estimated during these times. However if you want to improve the accuracy of your app, you can either enter self reads (through the app or send us photos), or we can install a smart meter for you (which is free in most cases). Whilst the usage shown can be estimated as explained above, your rates aren’t estimated. On every Powerpack page, you can see the usage & supply charge you get when you purchase the Powerpack. We’ll also tell you how much you’ve said by proactively purchasing Powerpacks each month when we send you your Account Review. If you prefer a more set-and-forget experience, we also have PowershopLITE. This means no shopping for power, just a great rate every time. I also note you’ve rated us 1 star for customer service. We’d love to understand why you gave us that rating, as looking after our customers is something we pride ourselves on. Thanks again for your feedback, Peter

Need getting used to, otherwise perfect

It works very differently on how you pay for the electricity / gas. You buy powerpacks which have a certain amount of "electricity" and will get depleted as you keep using it.

The app provides tons of info that other company does not, which makes day to day power tracking extremely easy.

You will get notifications when a special pack is released so you don't need to keep checking the app for special offers.

If anyone is interested, make sure you use my invite link, you'll get $75 off from your usage for free!
[link removed]

ServicesElectricity
Hey Sean, great to see such a positive review. Thanks for sharing, and don't hesitate to reach out if we can assist in future. Cheers, Peter

Too expensive? Just ridiculous!

Not happy with powershop at all. Had it installed in mid-august 2018, for a single person working 6 days a week, powershop bills are too much monthly. While all my friends use heaps of electricity and pay roughly $150 every quarterly with other companies, i pay wayy too much every month.
was away for 3 weeeks, with only the fridge running & all other switches off, i paid $65 for last month. Very unhappy.

ServicesElectricity
Hi Meenal, thanks for reaching out. It seems that your high bills are probably linked to estimated meter readings since you don't have a smart meter. We're currently offering these at no upfront costs to our customers in most circumstances. We would love to look into your account to investigate and chat further. Could you share your account details privately with us? Thanks.Yes a further chat would be fantastic.

Don't recommend Powershop

First 3 months great.Live alone in a unit. Bill $50 -$60 a month first 3 months. Just received a bill for almost $300 for the 4th month. That is $300 for 1 person living alone. Done nothing different this month. Enjoy 3 month holiday period then expect to be ripped off beyond belief. $50 to $60 a month for 1 person is reasonable. A jump to $300 for the 4th month is not.

ServicesElectricity
Hi Susan, thanks for reaching out. Can you please send us your account details by private message, so we can look into your account to see what's happening?

Great company - would recommend!

I'm living in a 2 bedroom apartment in Brisbane, QLD and I've never had a problem with them.
I love the fact that you pay monthly, rather than getting issued a bigger quarterly bill.
You can monitor your electricity usage via the easy to use app which is fantastic so you don't receive any unexpected bills.
You can also receive a discount if you pay before the due date.
Just ensure you install a smart meter, which determines the electricity usage from your unit itself, rather than going off an average in the building complex. It's much cheaper..

Bascially you pay $100 a month for an APP

Do the Numbers people... they are SERIOUSLY overcharging, then "Discounting"...
Here is my example... I have 2 meters on my property, 1 Meter is, Peak, Off Peak & Shoulder. Other Meter is Flat Rate.
Here are my numbers so you can see what they are doing...this is for 4 DEC to 1st Jan
Powershop charged me 24.37c/kWh (Off Peak) 38.20c/kWh (Peak) 30.41c/kwh (Shoulder) And a supply charge of 141.03 c/day
Now they also charge 30.14c/kWh on their Flat rate (this is where we use our main power...using 751Kw for the month. With the Supply charge 141.03c/day
So my total bill was $598.70, with Power Packs made it $550.22

So I priced Tango Energy...heres how they came out
17.71 Off Peak, 27.72 Peak , 22.22 Shoulder and Daily supply charge of 110 c/day
This is the jawdropper... 18.63 FLAT RATE!!!! and supply charge of 105.60
Add this all together and my bill for the month of December would have been..... $402.95!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!With Tango
This is TANGOS rates all the time... no discounts... just normal rates.

So in conclusion, POWERSHOP are inflating their rates then giving you these 'Power Saver Packs' where you 'save' 20-24%, but your not saving anything, you are paying more...
If anything... you are paying for the MOST EXPENSIVE APP ON THE MARKET...at least $1200 a year for an APP, no one would buy that normally, but I did, for 4 years.

Get your bill, call other companies and get their rates... then work it out for yourself. Powershop say that they are giving you these discounts for buying upfront... but its a sham.

Hi there, thanks for reaching out. Could you please share with us your account details privately so we can look into your account to investigate further?

pros and cons for Powershop

I agree with most of the reviews, good and bad. 3 & 1/2 stars actually.
First the cons: Powershop does issue complicated bills that take ages to understand if you can make proper sense of them at all. Also they do take money out of my account automatically and I would like to have the credit that has accumulated, courtesy of my solar panels, given to me rather than held in some holding pattern only Powershop has. This is very disconcerting.
Pros: Their prices are ok compared with other providers. Where they are good though is with the power packages they sell which do give good discounts. Yes it takes work on my part to get the discounts by buying power packages. Now that I'm used to their weird software program I have made it work for me.
Don't expect to have the same process as with other providers which are simpler. Depends on your energy and time to make it work for you.

For my electricity situation I found Powershop to be perfect. I would recommend them, if their deals

I would recommend them, if their deals suit your electricity situation. My friends in a group house hold have been very happy with Powershop too. I found that they suited me. I am not with this company any more, as I live in a situation where I cannot choose the power company.

Avoid this company!

I was an electricity customer of Powershop for 2 years and I found their billing to be deceptive and unnecessarily complicated. When closing my account with them it took months to finalise with continual inexplicable bills. Communication is appalling and I would recommend against using them.

Sorry Val, that doesn't sound like a good experience. Could we have a chat to see what we could have done better?

Fabulous

Fabulous well trained, helpful & friendly staff. Great discounts & you can buy power as you go to recieve awesome discounts & to keep on top of your bill. Option of using green energy for the environmentally conscious.

The worst - most complicated energy provider

They have to be the most complicated power supplier out there... transferred and in 4 months spent the same as I did in a whole year with my previous supplier. You have to wait for an email then buy a special package or use the app to get the discount you were told you were getting in the first place. Great I guess if you have the spare time to waste in working to get a good rate on your power bill every single month - but I just want to use my electricity and pay for it at the best rate I was told I would be getting. Customer service completely useless and apathetic.

Hi Meg, thanks for the feedback. Understand the shopping for power model is not for everyone, but we have alternative options for customers who would like to set and forget. We'd be very happy to have a chat to you about this.

clear information via the app that keeps you in control

We have been with Powershop for 4 years now, and have been very happy from the start. I like that with the very well designed app I am in control of how I purchase my power, and with our digital meter we're able to track our usage to help keep our usage down. I purchase our power in blocks about 3 months ahead of time, which means we're always able to make sure of bulk discounts and I am always on top of our bills.

Satisfied customer

We have used Powershop for 3 homes over the last 5 years. I can’t understand reviews that are negative. There should be no bill shock if you use the app correctly. If you want to know how much that oil heater is to run a day look at rhe App! Don’t whinge afterwards when you use it for a month. It is the most transparent power company I’ve used. The secret to Powershop is to prepurchase your packs that offer the biggest discounts, buy the future packs, bulk packs and the occasional special occasion packs offered and get your account in credit. Be aware what you are buying eg..green power is more expensive. And thank you Powershop that when I call which is very rare that I get to speak to you quickly. Also no contracts, no penalties, no problems.
I would recommend Powershop to anyone as long as you are proactive to know about your power usage and willing to prepurchase packs to help you budget.