RAA Car Insurance

RAA Car Insurance

Why they are so Dodgy and Expensive

I am from Sydney and was in a hired car when I caused a minor rear end collision with the car in front.
No damage to my car at all and the damage was so minor to the car in front that I promised the owner I will pay for the damage out of my own pocket.
I took the photos of the damage and send it to one of the mobile repairer in Adelaide and they quoted for about $600 which I thought it was reasonable. I texted the quote to the owner but he wanted the damage to be fixed by RAA approved repairer.
It came back with a rough $3,000 quote. I told him there is too much of a gap and I will dispute the quote in court.
Within a few days RAA rang me and told me this car was insured under RAA and RAA has sent an assessor out and waiting for the quote to come back and it will be about $3,000 and a quote will be sent to me.
My instinct told me, something is fishy - RAA provides the insurance, RAA recommends their members to go to RAA approved repairer and RAA sends out their own assessor, I am in Sydney, what is the chance for a reasonable and fair quote - ZERO!
I just received a demanding letter from RAA for $2,500, because I have admitted for the damage, they will take legal action if I refuse to pay or interests will be added. The job was done without my approval.
Wow! Scary stuff.
RAA recommends RAA Approved Repairers to their members, spinning a story that repairers who are not RAA approved are lousy at their job.
It is reasonable for me to assume all RAA approved repairers pay some sort of fee to RAA to use use their logo,
RAA sends their own assessors for each job. (I want to know how many jobs the assessors disagreed with the repairers' quote if the car was not insured by RAA,)
Consumers are led to believe RAA looks after them.
They have South Australia market stitched up. They can charge the consumer what they want.
If you are one of the RAA policy holders - you will be led to believe your car is being looked after, you might be, but you are paying for this 'Exclusive Club' in a big way.
Congratulations RAA for setting up such a wonderful close loop!

Claim MadeNo

Dodgy service

Absolute terrible, dodgy service..I had an accident recently but they refused to replace my car parts..They just asked the mechanic to use glue to stick the bumpers back..I'm sure if it was the other way around, they would have charged me $10,000 and they would even ask me to replace the roof with a new one!! There is no way I get RAA insurance anymore; the worst company in Australia!

Plan covers drivers under 25No
Car ModelNissan Almera
Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Claim DateFebruary 2019
Claim ApprovedYes
Hi Vahid, thank you for writing in and sending us your feedback about your claim. I'm sorry to hear about the service you experienced. I'd like to get our team to look in to this for you. Are you able to email online@raa.com.au with your claim number and contact details and I can get our team to investigate. Kind regards, Gemma

Do NOT use RAA they are not providing the services they charge for. Better with others. RAA will rip-you-off big time!!!

RAA will rip-you-off big time!!! My name is Shefka Daud, 10yrs driving all over Europe, past 8yrs in UK with zero (0) accidents. Sadly in Tasmania some other tourists crashed in my 4x4; i had fully comprehensive insurance with a "reputable" australian 'company' as I did asked local people who to use; after providing them with my no claim proofs from UK i had a reasonable offer; or at least that is what i thought i bought and paying for; plus the breakdown road assist stance deal. Long story short ever since the crash happened on 20 Dec 2018 I have had the most stressful and nightmare claim experience with RAA; they have absolutely no idea what customer service is and how to co-operate people. The opposite side was fully liable and all details were provided within 24hrs and to date (21 Feb 2019) I have no deal with RAA. [name removed] is been particularly difficult and unprofessional in his job; to the extend that he reminded me our first call and disagreements/argument after full 2months!!! Can you believe what sort of a man this is holding grudges for so long. To make matters bit more complicated RAA had to sub-contract "ASSessor" to evaluate on his own way my crashed car; just as poor as RAA the assessor did crappy report where he did not even show min 3 private car sales for his market research. When i disputed it in a more presentable manner with a detailed report for the whole lot with my damaged belongings; there came the looong time of quiet pause from RAA; they just did nothing except continuing charging me for the monthly instalments of nearly 50AUD!!! This alone shows the rip-off culture in the aussie contracts-you just have to pay for something that you no longer use; also with 100% liability accepted from the opposite site they were nasty enough to request that i pay their minimum 500AUD claims!!! The only one person that actually did few useful things while i was on the phone was [name removed]. and that was because i was really unhappy and made him aware. Bottom line is as most of the aussies suggested to me: DRIVE with NO insurance! It is mad and i have not done it till after the crash; but left me no choice but to drive with the minimum REGO insurance. After speaking for probably 10-th time with RAA [name removed] refused to provide any substantiation for their "expert" "senior" assessors value of my car and just bluntly said i will have to take matters to court. Thank you RAA people for getting wages for not doing even your job; RAA have really made my last 2months full of anxiety and headache. When i said i will turn up in your head office and look to put faces on all those names i did not joke; you keep prolonging this palava and wait till i surprise you and get the right money that you owe me. Cheers. Shef RAA Will rip-you-off big time!!!

Car ModelToyota RAV4
Claim Resolution Time3+ months
Claim DateDecember 2018
Claim ApprovedNo
Hi Shef, as mentioned in our prior correspondence I will organise for the issues you raised in your review to be investigated and for someone to contact you to discuss. This should happen in the next couple of days. Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback. Hope you had a nice weekend, Laura

Bad communication horable service

Have never made a claim toward a car or house or anything ever I needed to claim my car which have writen off and I've been run thou the ringer big time invasion of privacy poor communication about what's going on rude asseser Msging me at midnight asking for details of my accident 4 weeks and counting now and still not sure what they are doing with the car I know it's a, write off as the main structure of car is bent but raa have now lost me for house and contence a d once this car is dealt with they won't get my new car

Car ModelMitsubishi 380 DB
Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim ApprovedNo
Hi Sharon, sorry to hear of the issues you've experienced with your recent car insurance claim and that it is taking a while to resolve. I can organise for this to be investigated for you if you're able to please send your policy or claim number through to online@raa.com.au Kind regards, LauraRang the complaint line and ombasman and funny enough the same day they rang me and all of sudden had everything they needed even though an hour before that they were still making excuses I have moved and have moved all my policy to other company as that was crap

Cost getting to high

I have been with the RAA for over 21 years. I have always had good service, any problems, one phone call and they have always been straight on to it. But it is becoming so expensive, going up each year. If it keeps going up I won't be able to afford RAA insurance. I have had very few claims over the years. payed Thousands of dollars, Is ther no rewards for not making claims.

Insurance claim madeNo
Hi Judy, glad to hear you've been happy with our service over the years - and thanks for being a member for so long! In regards to insurance prices, we'd be happy to look into this for you if you're able to please send your policy number through to us at online@raa.com.au Kind regards, Laura

Best Insurance I have Ever Dealt With

After a very poor experience with a competitor, I did my research and people had rated RAA highly by word of mouth. I changed all our insurances (two vehicles, house and contents) to RAA. Not only was the process straight forward, it was cheaper than my current premiums.

Unfortunately I have had to claim a few times (2x motor vehicle accidents, 1x contents accidental breakage) and each time I received a very speedy consistent response. The staff have been an absolute pleasure to deal with and all claims were resolved with no delays. To anyone reading these reviews, remember that people are more likely to go out of their way to write a review about a poor experience than a good one, it's human nature.

We have been so pleased with RAA we now have a monitored security system by them and by packaging this, our insurances and roadside service we save quite a bit by bundling.

It's also worth noting that our car insurance premiums have decreased since we had the previously mentioned two not at fault accidents.

Keep up the good work RAA and I will continue to be a loyal customer.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi there, thanks so much for sharing your great feedback! Sorry to hear you've had to make a few claims, but glad to hear the claims process has been quick and easy for you. We always like to read feedback from our members, so thanks again for sharing your with us and for being a member! Cheers, Laura

Poor customer service

I rang for road side assistance as my car battery was dead, the lady who answered was extremely rude from the get go. She showed no empathy what so ever and her tone was appalling. In an already stressful situation she made it 10times worse. Safe to say I didn't get the raa out and called a friend instead!

Insurance claim madeNo
Hi Jess, so sorry to hear that you experienced bad customer service when calling us for road service recently. I'd like to have this investigated for you - are you able to please send your member number to us at online@raa.com.au so I can do this? Kind regards, Laura

mistakes re insurance over the phone mistakes

My family and myself have been with raa for over 20yrs.They are an absolute disgrace.I have noticed over the years how they are becoming incompetent over the phone. I have rung many times to change details re all my insurances home car van etc. And they have made mistakes every time. Changing of names from business to personal not being notified or sent renewals,My daughter left raa recently and my son.also. Unfortunately when they say they have changed your detail you request has been done and you find out 3 months later they have not and this impacts on your payment or you are uninsured because the person you ring did not rectify your requests there is nothing you can do..I will be taking all my business else where..I am disgusted and frustrated with how incompetent they are.Do not go through raa .

Insurance claim madeNo
Hi Sonia, I'm sorry to hear of the issues you've been having with our team and service levels. I would like to investigate this for you and send on your feedback to our managers. Are you able to email online@raa.com.au with your membership number so I can get this looked in to for you? Kind regards, Gemma

Worst Insurance claim experience ever!

I have been with RAA for a few years. 2 years ago I had to call roadside assist while in Kangaroo Island I was told they will be anywhere between 1-2 hours and that they would charge me $60 extra as I am not in Adelaide.

November last year my brand new (3months old) car got stolen from my house. I could not believe how bad the customer service was. It wasnstressful as it was and RAA made it so much worse. Everytime I rang them I had to stay on hold for a minimum 30 minutes before they would answer and they are only open during office hours which makes it very difficult. Email response says allow 8-10 business days for a response. Everytime I spoke to someone on the phone they were rude, put me on hold for even longer, treated me like I had my own brand new car stolen. Stolen cars have a wait of 21 days anyway before you can lodge a claim and I was told if I wanted a hire car and my car was recovered I would have to bear the cost of it and RAA wont count it as a claim. They sent an investigator out to see me which was alright and had no issues but after 21 days when I asked if they would order a new car in I didn't get a response for the longest time. They wouldn't get back to my emails and on the phone tell me they are looking into it. I told them I was happy with any color but then a week later I get an email to say it will be available in 5 weeks. At this stage I had no hire car, driving my parents car causing everyone inconvenience and have had enough of all the stress that comes with it. I had to ring them again let them know I was happy with any color (I had also spoken to my car dealer they said there was a 1 week wait on another color I would be happy with). I picked up my brand new car 2 weeks later drove for a week only to find out my car wasn't covered for insurance (I would have thought their replacement vehicle would mean I get to transfer my insurance policy over or someone would contact you - I had the car dealer contact me directly) when I rang them to check they were rude and said it was my responsibility to get new insurance and no policy was going to transfer over. To make everything even worse, apparently for a full replacement of vehicle you are required to pay 12 months of premiums from policy anniversary (which happened to be 2 months before my car was stolen so even with $500 excess I had to pay $1200. They were rude on the phone when I asked what it was about and asked me to go read the PDS. My old car was recovered in perfect state after which RAA now owns (fair enough!) And to make that $1,200 payment I got emails to remind me to pay but also no way to pay other than going into the shop or waiting on hold for 40 minutes. I requested for a call back but no one responded to my email. Finally today after being on hold for 40 minutes and another 15 minutes to be transferred to another department (which they could have asked me to ring directly) I finally paid off what I owed and safe to say will never deal with RAA again.
Having a brand new car stolen and everything that comes with it, including not having a mode of transport in a job that requires a lot of driving, RAA has hands down made it so difficult for me. We pay insurance premiums for a reason, so our stress is reduced at the time of need. But RAA made sure that regardless of how long you have been a customer for, if its going to cost them money to replace a vehicle they will do everything they can to make your life difficult.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi FDF, I'm sorry to hear that your experience with us was stressful and less than helpful during a period of high stress. If you are able to email online@raa.com.au with your claim or membership number I can provide this feedback to our team on the service levels you experienced. Kind regards, Gemma

Insurance taking to long.

The wife and I were hit by a car that didn't stop at the stop sign. police did tests with us, we don't do drugs or drink. cleared of all wrongdoing and not speeding.car is a write-off. but RAA they are not like other insurance company's, very slow to pay us out. we live in the country and have no car.sadly we have been hit 4 times and never our fault. but other insurance company's fixed the car or paid us out very quickly and was in contact with us all the time. this is very bad.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi there, so sorry to hear that you and your wife have been involved in a crash recently. I hope you're both okay. We can investigate your claim for you and find out why it's taken a long time if you're able to please send us your claim number via online@raa.com.au? Thank you for sharing your feedback. Kind regards, LauraWill do so, when my wife gets home.thank you.Well still going on, never had an insurance company take so long.everybody said the car is a write-off but RAA. trying the cheap way out and fixing it. they are very rude when they talk to you on the phone. we know another woman that has been waiting from December for them to look at her car.she has had no report at all. they tell you if you like they will cancel your insurance if you're not happy.and not fix your car. WARNING DO NOT GO WITH RAA INSURANCE AND I AM NOT KIDDING.

Absolutely worthless

I live in QLD and bought the most expensive membership as I was driving to south Australia. Battery on car went dead and the started it again. After that all lights on dashboard went on and staying on. Called back and explained what's going on... Raa comes and starts the car and sees these light on dashboard, stuck his diagnostic in the car, waited 5 min and says I don't have the right diagnostic to turn warning light off. I said im a premium member, could you take it to mechanic to fix the problem.... He replied no! As in Adelaide you are not a premium. I explained in the contract it is and covered Australia wide. He says u are long way from home we can't help u. I said are u serious.? I said if I'm from south Australia I would expect RACQ to help in Queensland and vice versa. I said speak to your manager and explain it to him... Well he was on loud speaker and I can hear the conversation.... Well I fell off my chair!! When I heard the manager explain too raa guy saying don't worry about it just say we can't help sort of brush him off!!... After he hung up and came to me I have lost the PLOT!! what is this?... I heard it all you guys are soo unprofessional and that was your manager??.... He looked at me with a face like a stunned mullet. Got in his car and drove off. it is not worth getting raa they are only good for if u have locked your car in the car....! Anything harder it's like watching a monkey trying to drive a car!

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Benny, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and we apologise for the lack of service you received from our patrol. Unfortunately as your membership is with RACQ and not RAA, we're unable to look you up in our system to investigate the incident for you. If you're able to pass your feedback onto RACQ though, they'll get in touch with us so that we can investigate for you. Kind regards, Laura

Several claims made, all simple, easy and painless!

I have had the unfortunate need to make 4 car insurance claims in the last 5 years as well as 2 house claims . Each time my claim has been paid out after a quick assessing process. Most recently I had a windscreen claim, it shattered on a Sunday and via the online claim system, it was replaced on the Monday at my work! I will never consider using any other insurer than RAA.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Amanda, thanks so much for sharing your great feedback! Sorry to hear you've had to make some claims in the past few years but glad that they've been resolved, and glad that you're back on the road after your windscreen replacement. We're glad to have you on board as a member. Hope you have a lovely Christmas! Cheers, Laura

Wouldn't be without them

I have been with the RAA my whole driving life (as a member with roadside assistance, and with them as my insurer) and they've been amazing every time I have needed them.

Four years ago I was in a car accident, and my car was a write-off. I was shaken and very upset through the whole thing, but everyone I spoke to on the phone was wonderful and so helpful. They made a difficult time that little bit easier, and I will be forever grateful.

My first car (not the one I wrote off, sadly) was a complete bomb, and I was always needing to call out RAA Roadside Assist for one thing or another, and every mechanic who assisted me was prompt, friendly and professional. I don't need them as much (had a dead battery recently, still need them sometimes!) now that I have a much better car, but I'll never be without an RAA membership and RAA insurance.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Lauren, thanks so much for sharing your feedback! It's great that you've continued to be a member over the years and we're glad to hear we've been able to help you in so many ways. It's lovely to hear from our members. Kind regards, Laura

Outstanding service- THANK YOU

I have used them for under a year, have called them out twice now. Both times, great service.
My most recent callout, I had two staff members who were absolutely brilliant. Super friendly, great attitudes despite being called out in high winds/rain and from 6pm-7:30pm. More than impressed, have really gotten my money’s worth of service.

Insurance claim madeNo
Hi Jaz, thanks so much for sharing your feedback. We're glad to hear you've been happy with our service and that we've been able to help you out. Kind regards, Laura

My stationary car was hit by a 4WD.

Raa refused to fix my car after months of waiting. They were not helpful at all. My car was hit while I was completely stopped, waiting for a speeding 4wd to pass. Raa is the WORST INSURANCE COMPANY EVER.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Mik, thank you for sharing your feedback and we're sorry to hear you've had a bad experience with our claims process. We can investigate this for you if you're able to please provide some more details, as well as your claim number, to online@raa.com.au Kind regards, Laura

What a change from QBE

I changed insurers due to the appalling experience I had with QBE.
My experiences with RAA have been reassuring and helpful.
I am happy to pay a little more to get service that is nothing but the best.
Goodbye QBE.
Never again.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Graham, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We're so glad to hear you've been happy with our products and service so far - great to have you on board as a member! Thanks again, Laura

Great Service!

Had an accident where a lady hit my motorcycle and I was wrongly accused by false report. RAA especially Sheree as my claim handler stood up for me and helped me through every process. I also got the result of my claim within 2 weeks. What a great job! will surely choose RAA for my next vehicle

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Vidi, thanks so much for your great feedback! We're glad to hear you were happy with the claims process and that everything was sorted out for you quickly. Thanks again for sharing! Cheers, Laura

Scamners!! When it comes to claiming

They are the biggest scammers when it comes to claiming. The only good thing is their road services.

IDK what kind of assessors they use , they are dodgy as. These people try thir best to avoid paying you what you what you actually deserve...

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi there, we're sorry to hear you've been unhappy with our claims process recently. We can investigate the issues you've experienced if you're able to please send through some more information as well as your claim number to online@raa.com.au Kind regards, Laura

Blamed for an accident that wasn't my fault

Was involved in an accident when another car did a U turn into my car as I was entering the road from a side street. Called to make a claim and they told me I was in the wrong, when I questioned it they just kept repeating I was in the wrong. I followed up the second day and checked the road rules knowing I was in the right with this particular road rule being advertised on their website. The second person I spoke with then said I was in the wrong, when i said it was on their website they said they weren't familiar with it, so I decided to send an email with screenshots of the raa website showing it and then I got a called advising I was not liable for the accident and they told me that the other workers had made a mistake. A month later I am staying waiting for a response on the recoveries department chasing up the third party to pay the excess.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Shelley, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. We're sorry to hear that you've had issues making a claim recently. If you're able to please send through your details to online@raa.com.au I can follow up with our claims and recoveries departments and get an update for you. Kind regards, Laura

Feed back email is not active Email: info@fos.org.au
Roadside Assistance Call Centre rude not helpful. Customer service is not up to scratch, Need more training.

Insurance claim madeNo
Hi Lisa, thank you for taking the time to review our insurance. I'm sorry to hear you have had a bad experience. Is this something that I can chase up for you? Kind regards, Gemma