RAA Car Insurance
See the Best Car Insurance in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Listing monitored by Royal Automotive Association

• Claim Resolution Time
    • <1 week (3)
    • 1-2 weeks (3)
    • 2-4 weeks (7)
    • 1-2 months (7)
    • 3+ months (2)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (12) · No (9)

Sausageroll
SausagerollMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

$2000 Additional Hidden Excess

I initially took out my policy with $500 excess and was told that an additional excess would apply for my age 22 (I don’t see why considering I hold a full licence). I’ve recently had an accident and I’ve had to make a claim and they have slapped me with $2000 excess. They said because I went on a good behaviour bond 5 years ago $1000 it was added. I went through all of the documents they sent and this WAS NOT LISTED anywhere including on my Online Account. The total work itself is almost $2000. Absolute disgrace, how deceitful.

harlequinn
harlequinnMurrumbidgee Region, NSW

Expensive premiums, bad policies, average service.

I had kept a comprehensive policy with RAA for many years. They recently raised the vehicle premium by a large amount. I had never made a claim on this vehicle or on the other 2 policies I kept with RAA. When we cancelled the policy it was just past the renewal date and unlike other companies RAA doesn't refund unwanted insurance, but the insurance policy does stay active until the end of the monthly policy period. There are currently better companies to spend your money on.

EDIT: One month on from the original review and RAA has charged my account for another month for this cancelled insurance policy. I've now had to waste my time calling them to demand they return the money they have illegally withdrawn from my account.

Crooks

I paid $300for full car inspection. It came back with excellent results.was told to go ahead and buy the car..3days later the head was cracked.. how can someone miss a major problem like this...I've been a member for many years and this is beyond believable...angry as crap !!!

Megan H.
Megan H.Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

Awful experience making claims

We are waiting to cancel our policy. We have been told the car was written off, after refusing the initial offer of settlement (we could not replace our car for the amount offered) the assessor changed his mind and agreed to raise the price.
After 5 weeks with no car he then decided to investigate if the car would be worth fixing.
I have had to continually call and be shunted from one department to another we are now nearly 7 weeks in and waiting for a settlement.
Would never use them again!!!!

Bernie H.
Bernie H.Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

Price increases and raise the excess

I am a gold member with RAA insurances, i have multiple policies with them, never made a claim in 25 years, and they have raised all their premiums and also raised their excesses, time for change, bad customer service.

Best Super Funds in 2020!

Wendy Z.7 Nov 2019
best-super-funds-in-2020

Best Credit Cards in 2020!

Wendy Z.19 Nov 2019

we-compared-reviews-on-the-top-5-most-popular-car-insurance-providers
J costello
J costelloMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

agreed value dropped

disgusted bought car 2020 for $11000 had agreed value comprehensive 1 year later i checked my policy they dropped my agreed value to $5000 Told them where do they think I can find a Terriory 2009 limited edition perfectly straight no damage at all very low ks for that price what a joke switched to Shannons so glad it did

Dan
DanMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Beware of non refundable monthly premiums

RAA sent our motor vehicle renewal it had a big increase of 33% with no claims made in the period of insurance. I went ahead cancelled my insurance policy effective that day as I found a cheaper insurer with same level of cover. Still had 3 weeks left until our renewal due to expire i decided just to cancel immediately as I had placed cover elsewhere. Advised they DON'T offer refunds for monthly premiums paid. Our refund should of been around $60.
Please keep this in mind!

kerbarb
kerbarbAdelaide, South Australia

Unbelievable, quick resolution and good resolution.

I had the unfortunate experience in having my Caravan written off due to an accident. The assessor stopped his holidays just to assess our loss due to the sum of the claim. The call takers in every department were friendly, courteous and very helpful. In just 3 working days, the payout was in my bank account. Can not speak more highly of the cover or customer service.

Eloise Carey
Eloise CareyMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Best insurance provider around

I’ve been a member of the RAA for 10 years with home and contents insurance, car insurance and roadside assist, they have helped me more times then I can count. I could not be happier with the service they provide, their staff are so friendly and helpful, their prices are very fair. They genuinely care about their customers. I would highly recommend them to anyone.

Disgusted
DisgustedAdelaide

Rude call centre staff!!!

Call centre staff need training in how to LISTEN to a customer and not assume they know what they are going to say and talk over the top of them. I politely asked if I could speak THREE times and was talked over each and every time!!! All I was trying to do was update my payment details!!! Terrible customer service. SO RUDE.

Frencham8
Frencham8Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

Happy With Car Insurance

Good price and FANTASTIC service. I can't speak more highly enough about RAA Car Insurance. Over the years I have gone to a number of insurers, and whilst RAA might be slightly higher, the quality of their service has always been 10/10.

Happy H.
Happy H.Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

Terrible RAA, DO NOT USE RAA

DO NOT use RAA if your car is a new car, or very new car, or expensive car within/around warranty, RAA NOT cover your car with original/genuine classes if your car's glasses damaged even brand new car according to RAA policy!! You must know this. RAA has a special deal with Obrian, RAA only give you off market glasses, NOT your car original glasses. Horrible company, no star.

barbara s.
barbara s.Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

On merry go round by staff after claim

dont waste your time

dont buy this insurance they will find any reason to not help you out... especially if you're a traveler (non permanent resident). we were given false information on the phone so we would buy a premium account but when we came into motorbike issues we were stranded with zero benefits.

Wouldn't recommend

RAA agreed to the value of $17500 but only want to pay $10620 on my claim. They offered me $8000, then $10620 and now it's back at $8000. I have been called a liar in a letter, told me fauls information on evidence, told me no matter how much you spend on a car all premiums are the same, told me that I have to sort the difference of payout with the dealer I brought car from that it's not their issue and are changing their rembursment offer. Everyone I talk to tells me something different, there is nothing to this that makes sense. I will never use RAA again. 3 months later, no car and still fighting to have my claim accepted. They have started a new policy and charge me $73.33 per month and I don't even have a car

Read more reviews - page 2

Trev Smith
Trev Smithasked
Car Insurance - Comprehensive

What is third party property insurance policy

adila704
adila704asked
RAA Car Insurance

I have comprehensive car insurance ! Recently had accident! my car will be non - repairable. My car is used when we bought but it’s a 2017 Honda and was only done 10,000 and around 40,000 on the clock right before the crash !, my question is , I read it in the PDS that car can be replaced with same model , year and condition ! We have loan with the car , and we only need a replacement car as we need a car anyways as we have 4 children ! Dose it possible to get replacement car instead the insurer pay out our loan and stuff ? This is my first claim ever! Hopefully will be hassle free as I already experienced a very unpleasant costumer services and stressing ! Praying for a good result ! Thank you !

Marelle S.asked
RAA Car Insurance

What is the average wait time for a pay out figure on a vehicle that has been written off under a comprehensive policy?

Douglas
Douglas

Hi Marelle, it took about eight weeks, but I delayed the process by not having my phone on hand (leaving it in the car and not checking the missed calls) when the RAA had tried to ring.

Marelle S.

Thanks Douglas. I have never encountered such a lack of customer service. It is causing me a huge amount of stress and financial pressure. I've been a RAA member for 17 years, and it means nothing. Never again.

Get an answer from our members and Royal Automotive Association representatives

Compare all 4 RAA Car Insurance
CategoryCar InsuranceCar InsuranceCar InsuranceCar Insurance
Other Insurance Types Offered Home and Contents and LandlordHome and Contents and LandlordHome and Contents and LandlordHome and Contents and Landlord
Coverage TypeVeteran, Vintage and Classic VehicleComprehensiveThird Party, Fire and TheftThird Party Property Damage
UnderwriterRAA InsuranceRAA InsuranceRAA InsuranceRAA Insurance
Legal Liability Cover Included up to $20 millionIncluded up to $20 millionIncluded up to $20 millionIncluded up to $20 million
Reduced or Zero Excess Windscreen CoverZero Excess IncludedNot OfferedNot Offered
Choice of RepairerAllowedAllowedAllowedAllowed
After Accident Care
Emergency Transport & AccommodationIncluded up to $750Included up to $750Not IncludedNot Included
Towing Costs IncludedIncludedIncludedNot Included
Essential / Emergency RepairsIncluded up to $750Included up to $750Not IncludedNot Included
Benefits
Hire Car after Theft

You will not be covered for hiring charges:

• incurred after the date of recovery of your vehicle, or

• after a total period of 21 days, or

• after the claim is settled,

If you have Third Party Property, Fire and Theft Car Insurance you will be covered for the cost of hiring a similar replacement vehicle if your vehicle is stolen.

• incurred after the date of recovery of your vehicle; or

• after a total period of 21 days; or

• after the claim is settled;

• incurred after the date of recovery of your vehicle; or

• after a total period of 21 days; or

• after the claim is settled;
Lock and Key ReplacementIncluded up to $750Included up to $750Included up to $750Not Included
Trailer & Caravan CoverNot IncludedIncluded up to $1,500Not IncludedNot Included
Child Safety Seats and PramsIncluded up to $750Included up to $500Included up to $500Not Included
New-for-old Car Replacement

Earlier of 2 years from original registration

Not Included

Personal Property CoverIncluded up to $750Included up to $1,000Not IncludedNot Included
Uninsured Motorist Benefit Not ApplicableNot ApplicableIncluded up to $3,000Included up to $3,000
Accidental Loss or Damage
Malicious Damage / VandalismIncludedIncludedNot IncludedNot Included
FireIncludedIncludedIncludedNot Included
CollisionNot IncludedIncludedIncludedIncluded
Natural EventsIncludedIncludedNot IncludedNot Included
Theft or Attempted TheftIncludedIncludedNot IncludedIncluded
ManualDownload manualDownload manualDownload manualDownload manual
Compare all 4 RAA Car Insurance