RAA Car Insurance

See the Best Car Insurance in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

I feel let down by this company after being a loyal member for 16 years

I have all my insurance cover with them and have been driving since I was 16, never had I made a claim until now and I was declined. I went to a business to have a small job on my car repaired by a "panel beater" to correct a small swipe mark from previous owner. I did not know that this person was a scammer as his business was connected to another business that has been in the car tyre industry for many years. This man had my car for 6 weeks and refused to give it back. The job was only supposed to be for a week. I called and rang continuously to pick up my car, my phone calls were ignored and when I got through they said my car was nearly ready etc, when I would go to collect it no body was there. After 6 weeks of this headache they finally agreed to give me back my car but would not give it to me unless I paid 300$ more then they quoted. When I got my car back I was in tears, my night mare was worse than I thought. My car was turned upside down inside and out. Although I have fixed the paint as much as I can and replaced majority of parts on my own, there are a few things not worth spending the money on that are not so obvious to the naked eye but I know they're there. Raa would not cover me for the cost of my paint repair that was caused by the scammers, theifs and fraudulent people, which was initially very bad and now they have told me they can no longer cover me under comprehensive cover because of the little bit of paint damage that remains. I feel very let down by them, I do however understand some of their reasonings but I honestly have been a victim here and a loyal customer for many years, Its a shame they can so easily not care of my circumstances. I was deceived, scammed and robbed and the people I paid to look after me threw me to the curb.

Claim ApprovedNo

Worst service ever from an insurance company

3 recent claims, 2 declined and 1 no result even though I was not even present when an uber driver drove into my parked car and drove off.
Latest claim, RAA changed my battery and destroyed the roc which cost over 2kand refuse to fix it!?

Car ModelBMW 1 Series E88
Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim DateAugust 2019

No help in my situation

My car broke down on the side of the road and I had to leave it there as there was no phone service. I have now learnt if you are not physically at the vehicle and unable to get to it then RAA can not help you out. I will now have to pay a towing service.

Cost compared to RAC WA and RACV - RAA equivalent in WA and Vic

Despite 29 year "Gold" membership and 5 insurance policies for many years now I got a quote from RAA Car insurance for $2500 compared to $800 if I went to WA (RAC WA) or $1200 in Vic (RACV). Same car but different pricing interstate.. Aparently car is expensive to fix.....hmm but WA/Vic would have same issues but they're cheap. I thought RAA was there to provide service/support to Automobile users? Oh well RAA a loyal customer lost

Claim MadeNo

Do not use RAA. Bunch of thieves they will rip you off. Be aware of these thieves.

lease please don't go with RAA. I had comprehensive car insurace with RAA and was Agreed value when i insured my car, ihad a car accident in victoria i went for a short holiday and when i called them to make a claim they assessed the car and said its a total loss and we will pay you the settlement, they called me again and said the agreed value is too hight and the market value is only 18k, why would you even accept the agreed value when you think its high? Why would you charge me extra for premium when i chose the agreed value? . I will take this to my lawyer and take it forward to the court.

Car ModelToyota Aurion GSV50R Sportivo SX6
Claim DateJuly 2019

Disappointed customer!

My daughter recently had her car stolen which in itself is traumatic she has a 3 month old baby and needs her car. Lucky a friend loaned her one otherwise she would of been stuck. Told to wait 21 days but also charged $500 excess and had to pay out remainder of 12 month policy due to paying monthly!! Never heard of such ridiculous charges! So basically being charged for cover for a car she does not have anymore! It might be in their small print but still does not make it right! I actually pay her insurances for her inc house and contents as well as my own ...for peace of mind that she is covered but will not be going through them again for her new car.

Car ModelHolden Cruze JH (Hatchback) SRi-V
Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim DateJune 2019
Claim ApprovedYes

Long winded and a huge inconvenience

It approaches 4 weeks since my accident and I have been contacted once by phone and once by email. Average wait time when calling is 35 to 40 minutes. I have a day free today so I actually have time to sit and wait for the 4th time. I have experienced a claim in the past and it was quick, just over a week with a nation wide insurer. The tv commercial for this product couldn't be further from the truth. I am now out of the hire car provided under the policy and it has become an expensive and frustrating process. Wish me luck on today's communication cos I am going to need it. RAA the communication process is seriously lacking.
And....here I am at 5 weeks post the accident. Emails promising 8 working days, then specific days for settlement and still nothing. One more week RAA and I go the next step. I have paid for a product and so far have seen nothing for my money.
So week six! I heard from RAA Tuesday morning. Payout figure given and finance to be paid out. I needed the third payout figure from my finance and they offered to get it this time. I reminded them that this coming Tuesday yet another installment is deducted for a car I no longer own and that expediency is paramount. I got excited. Well here we are and nothing. No phone call, no contact and another payment wlll be deducted. I contacted my finance company for a payout figure for the third time, cos I'm better at it than RAA, even while Im working. I take it further Monday. The care factor for me as a customer is zero. I have never experienced such a lack of service. Either there are no where near enough staff or they just dont care.
Just discovered I am still being charged for insurance on the written off vehicle! Here we go again. Appalling
24th of August now!

Claim DateMay 2019

Our claim handled with efficiency and care.

Took out comprehensive car insurance on our new car. Involved in an accident which was my fault and damaged the car beyond repair. RAA staff were efficient and helpful with our claim and replaced our car with a new one with no problems. Will now insure again with RAA. as they are the best. Douglas.

Car ModelHolden Barina
Claim DateMarch 2019
Claim ApprovedYes

Excellent insurer for custom cars

Came out to work one morning to a semi burnt out interior in my 03 Saab 93. Raw took the car that day (monday) and by weeks end had the claim settled. Could not ask for a better company in such a stressful time. The policy was well priced and agrees value ment my custom Saab was covered. The phone attendants understood and included all my mods. From intercooler to c02 systems and tunes.. Thank you RAA. You will have my future business and my families.

Car ModelSaab 93
Claim Resolution Time<1 week
Claim DateApril 2018
Claim ApprovedYes
Hi Davros, thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on our insurance and claims process. We appreciate that! Have a lovely rest of your week. Kind regards, Gemma

Why they are so Dodgy and Expensive

I am from Sydney and was in a hired car when I caused a minor rear end collision with the car in front.
No damage to my car at all and the damage was so minor to the car in front that I promised the owner I will pay for the damage out of my own pocket.
I took the photos of the damage and send it to one of the mobile repairer in Adelaide and they quoted for about $600 which I thought it was reasonable. I texted the quote to the owner but he wanted the damage to be fixed by RAA approved repairer.
It came back with a rough $3,000 quote. I told him there is too much of a gap and I will dispute the quote in court.
Within a few days RAA rang me and told me this car was insured under RAA and RAA has sent an assessor out and waiting for the quote to come back and it will be about $3,000 and a quote will be sent to me.
My instinct told me, something is fishy - RAA provides the insurance, RAA recommends their members to go to RAA approved repairer and RAA sends out their own assessor, I am in Sydney, what is the chance for a reasonable and fair quote - ZERO!
I just received a demanding letter from RAA for $2,500, because I have admitted for the damage, they will take legal action if I refuse to pay or interests will be added. The job was done without my approval.
Wow! Scary stuff.
RAA recommends RAA Approved Repairers to their members, spinning a story that repairers who are not RAA approved are lousy at their job.
It is reasonable for me to assume all RAA approved repairers pay some sort of fee to RAA to use use their logo,
RAA sends their own assessors for each job. (I want to know how many jobs the assessors disagreed with the repairers' quote if the car was not insured by RAA,)
Consumers are led to believe RAA looks after them.
They have South Australia market stitched up. They can charge the consumer what they want.
If you are one of the RAA policy holders - you will be led to believe your car is being looked after, you might be, but you are paying for this 'Exclusive Club' in a big way.
Congratulations RAA for setting up such a wonderful close loop!

Claim MadeNo
Hi George, we are sorry to hear about the issues you have been having and how you feel about our service. Do you need me to escalate this to our management team for you? If so, you can email us at online@raa.com.au with your information and claim number and I will do this. Kind regards, Gemma

Dodgy service

Absolute terrible, dodgy service..I had an accident recently but they refused to replace my car parts..They just asked the mechanic to use glue to stick the bumpers back..I'm sure if it was the other way around, they would have charged me $10,000 and they would even ask me to replace the roof with a new one!! There is no way I get RAA insurance anymore; the worst company in Australia!

Car ModelNissan Almera
Claim DateFebruary 2019
Claim ApprovedYes
Hi Vahid, thank you for writing in and sending us your feedback about your claim. I'm sorry to hear about the service you experienced. I'd like to get our team to look in to this for you. Are you able to email online@raa.com.au with your claim number and contact details and I can get our team to investigate. Kind regards, Gemma

Do NOT use RAA they are not providing the services they charge for. Better with others. RAA will rip-you-off big time!!!

RAA will rip-you-off big time!!! My name is Shefka Daud, 10yrs driving all over Europe, past 8yrs in UK with zero (0) accidents. Sadly in Tasmania some other tourists crashed in my 4x4; i had fully comprehensive insurance with a "reputable" australian 'company' as I did asked local people who to use; after providing them with my no claim proofs from UK i had a reasonable offer; or at least that is what i thought i bought and paying for; plus the breakdown road assist stance deal. Long story short ever since the crash happened on 20 Dec 2018 I have had the most stressful and nightmare claim experience with RAA; they have absolutely no idea what customer service is and how to co-operate people. The opposite side was fully liable and all details were provided within 24hrs and to date (21 Feb 2019) I have no deal with RAA. [name removed] is been particularly difficult and unprofessional in his job; to the extend that he reminded me our first call and disagreements/argument after full 2months!!! Can you believe what sort of a man this is holding grudges for so long. To make matters bit more complicated RAA had to sub-contract "ASSessor" to evaluate on his own way my crashed car; just as poor as RAA the assessor did crappy report where he did not even show min 3 private car sales for his market research. When i disputed it in a more presentable manner with a detailed report for the whole lot with my damaged belongings; there came the looong time of quiet pause from RAA; they just did nothing except continuing charging me for the monthly instalments of nearly 50AUD!!! This alone shows the rip-off culture in the aussie contracts-you just have to pay for something that you no longer use; also with 100% liability accepted from the opposite site they were nasty enough to request that i pay their minimum 500AUD claims!!! The only one person that actually did few useful things while i was on the phone was [name removed]. and that was because i was really unhappy and made him aware. Bottom line is as most of the aussies suggested to me: DRIVE with NO insurance! It is mad and i have not done it till after the crash; but left me no choice but to drive with the minimum REGO insurance. After speaking for probably 10-th time with RAA [name removed] refused to provide any substantiation for their "expert" "senior" assessors value of my car and just bluntly said i will have to take matters to court. Thank you RAA people for getting wages for not doing even your job; RAA have really made my last 2months full of anxiety and headache. When i said i will turn up in your head office and look to put faces on all those names i did not joke; you keep prolonging this palava and wait till i surprise you and get the right money that you owe me. Cheers. Shef RAA Will rip-you-off big time!!!

Car ModelToyota RAV4
Claim Resolution Time3+ months
Claim DateDecember 2018
Claim ApprovedNo
Hi Shef, as mentioned in our prior correspondence I will organise for the issues you raised in your review to be investigated and for someone to contact you to discuss. This should happen in the next couple of days. Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback. Hope you had a nice weekend, Laura

Bad communication horable service

Have never made a claim toward a car or house or anything ever I needed to claim my car which have writen off and I've been run thou the ringer big time invasion of privacy poor communication about what's going on rude asseser Msging me at midnight asking for details of my accident 4 weeks and counting now and still not sure what they are doing with the car I know it's a, write off as the main structure of car is bent but raa have now lost me for house and contence a d once this car is dealt with they won't get my new car

Car ModelMitsubishi 380 DB
Claim ApprovedNo
Hi Sharon, sorry to hear of the issues you've experienced with your recent car insurance claim and that it is taking a while to resolve. I can organise for this to be investigated for you if you're able to please send your policy or claim number through to online@raa.com.au Kind regards, LauraRang the complaint line and ombasman and funny enough the same day they rang me and all of sudden had everything they needed even though an hour before that they were still making excuses I have moved and have moved all my policy to other company as that was crap

Cost getting to high

I have been with the RAA for over 21 years. I have always had good service, any problems, one phone call and they have always been straight on to it. But it is becoming so expensive, going up each year. If it keeps going up I won't be able to afford RAA insurance. I have had very few claims over the years. payed Thousands of dollars, Is ther no rewards for not making claims.

Insurance claim madeNo
Hi Judy, glad to hear you've been happy with our service over the years - and thanks for being a member for so long! In regards to insurance prices, we'd be happy to look into this for you if you're able to please send your policy number through to us at online@raa.com.au Kind regards, Laura

Best Insurance I have Ever Dealt With

After a very poor experience with a competitor, I did my research and people had rated RAA highly by word of mouth. I changed all our insurances (two vehicles, house and contents) to RAA. Not only was the process straight forward, it was cheaper than my current premiums.

Unfortunately I have had to claim a few times (2x motor vehicle accidents, 1x contents accidental breakage) and each time I received a very speedy consistent response. The staff have been an absolute pleasure to deal with and all claims were resolved with no delays. To anyone reading these reviews, remember that people are more likely to go out of their way to write a review about a poor experience than a good one, it's human nature.

We have been so pleased with RAA we now have a monitored security system by them and by packaging this, our insurances and roadside service we save quite a bit by bundling.

It's also worth noting that our car insurance premiums have decreased since we had the previously mentioned two not at fault accidents.

Keep up the good work RAA and I will continue to be a loyal customer.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi there, thanks so much for sharing your great feedback! Sorry to hear you've had to make a few claims, but glad to hear the claims process has been quick and easy for you. We always like to read feedback from our members, so thanks again for sharing your with us and for being a member! Cheers, Laura

Poor customer service

I rang for road side assistance as my car battery was dead, the lady who answered was extremely rude from the get go. She showed no empathy what so ever and her tone was appalling. In an already stressful situation she made it 10times worse. Safe to say I didn't get the raa out and called a friend instead!

Insurance claim madeNo
Hi Jess, so sorry to hear that you experienced bad customer service when calling us for road service recently. I'd like to have this investigated for you - are you able to please send your member number to us at online@raa.com.au so I can do this? Kind regards, Laura

mistakes re insurance over the phone mistakes

My family and myself have been with raa for over 20yrs.They are an absolute disgrace.I have noticed over the years how they are becoming incompetent over the phone. I have rung many times to change details re all my insurances home car van etc. And they have made mistakes every time. Changing of names from business to personal not being notified or sent renewals,My daughter left raa recently and my son.also. Unfortunately when they say they have changed your detail you request has been done and you find out 3 months later they have not and this impacts on your payment or you are uninsured because the person you ring did not rectify your requests there is nothing you can do..I will be taking all my business else where..I am disgusted and frustrated with how incompetent they are.Do not go through raa .

Insurance claim madeNo
Hi Sonia, I'm sorry to hear of the issues you've been having with our team and service levels. I would like to investigate this for you and send on your feedback to our managers. Are you able to email online@raa.com.au with your membership number so I can get this looked in to for you? Kind regards, Gemma

Worst Insurance claim experience ever!

I have been with RAA for a few years. 2 years ago I had to call roadside assist while in Kangaroo Island I was told they will be anywhere between 1-2 hours and that they would charge me $60 extra as I am not in Adelaide.

November last year my brand new (3months old) car got stolen from my house. I could not believe how bad the customer service was. It wasnstressful as it was and RAA made it so much worse. Everytime I rang them I had to stay on hold for a minimum 30 minutes before they would answer and they are only open during office hours which makes it very difficult. Email response says allow 8-10 business days for a response. Everytime I spoke to someone on the phone they were rude, put me on hold for even longer, treated me like I had my own brand new car stolen. Stolen cars have a wait of 21 days anyway before you can lodge a claim and I was told if I wanted a hire car and my car was recovered I would have to bear the cost of it and RAA wont count it as a claim. They sent an investigator out to see me which was alright and had no issues but after 21 days when I asked if they would order a new car in I didn't get a response for the longest time. They wouldn't get back to my emails and on the phone tell me they are looking into it. I told them I was happy with any color but then a week later I get an email to say it will be available in 5 weeks. At this stage I had no hire car, driving my parents car causing everyone inconvenience and have had enough of all the stress that comes with it. I had to ring them again let them know I was happy with any color (I had also spoken to my car dealer they said there was a 1 week wait on another color I would be happy with). I picked up my brand new car 2 weeks later drove for a week only to find out my car wasn't covered for insurance (I would have thought their replacement vehicle would mean I get to transfer my insurance policy over or someone would contact you - I had the car dealer contact me directly) when I rang them to check they were rude and said it was my responsibility to get new insurance and no policy was going to transfer over. To make everything even worse, apparently for a full replacement of vehicle you are required to pay 12 months of premiums from policy anniversary (which happened to be 2 months before my car was stolen so even with $500 excess I had to pay $1200. They were rude on the phone when I asked what it was about and asked me to go read the PDS. My old car was recovered in perfect state after which RAA now owns (fair enough!) And to make that $1,200 payment I got emails to remind me to pay but also no way to pay other than going into the shop or waiting on hold for 40 minutes. I requested for a call back but no one responded to my email. Finally today after being on hold for 40 minutes and another 15 minutes to be transferred to another department (which they could have asked me to ring directly) I finally paid off what I owed and safe to say will never deal with RAA again.
Having a brand new car stolen and everything that comes with it, including not having a mode of transport in a job that requires a lot of driving, RAA has hands down made it so difficult for me. We pay insurance premiums for a reason, so our stress is reduced at the time of need. But RAA made sure that regardless of how long you have been a customer for, if its going to cost them money to replace a vehicle they will do everything they can to make your life difficult.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi FDF, I'm sorry to hear that your experience with us was stressful and less than helpful during a period of high stress. If you are able to email online@raa.com.au with your claim or membership number I can provide this feedback to our team on the service levels you experienced. Kind regards, Gemma

Insurance taking to long.

The wife and I were hit by a car that didn't stop at the stop sign. police did tests with us, we don't do drugs or drink. cleared of all wrongdoing and not speeding.car is a write-off. but RAA they are not like other insurance company's, very slow to pay us out. we live in the country and have no car.sadly we have been hit 4 times and never our fault. but other insurance company's fixed the car or paid us out very quickly and was in contact with us all the time. this is very bad.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi there, so sorry to hear that you and your wife have been involved in a crash recently. I hope you're both okay. We can investigate your claim for you and find out why it's taken a long time if you're able to please send us your claim number via online@raa.com.au? Thank you for sharing your feedback. Kind regards, LauraWill do so, when my wife gets home.thank you.Well still going on, never had an insurance company take so long.everybody said the car is a write-off but RAA. trying the cheap way out and fixing it. they are very rude when they talk to you on the phone. we know another woman that has been waiting from December for them to look at her car.she has had no report at all. they tell you if you like they will cancel your insurance if you're not happy.and not fix your car. WARNING DO NOT GO WITH RAA INSURANCE AND I AM NOT KIDDING.

Absolutely worthless

I live in QLD and bought the most expensive membership as I was driving to south Australia. Battery on car went dead and the started it again. After that all lights on dashboard went on and staying on. Called back and explained what's going on... Raa comes and starts the car and sees these light on dashboard, stuck his diagnostic in the car, waited 5 min and says I don't have the right diagnostic to turn warning light off. I said im a premium member, could you take it to mechanic to fix the problem.... He replied no! As in Adelaide you are not a premium. I explained in the contract it is and covered Australia wide. He says u are long way from home we can't help u. I said are u serious.? I said if I'm from south Australia I would expect RACQ to help in Queensland and vice versa. I said speak to your manager and explain it to him... Well he was on loud speaker and I can hear the conversation.... Well I fell off my chair!! When I heard the manager explain too raa guy saying don't worry about it just say we can't help sort of brush him off!!... After he hung up and came to me I have lost the PLOT!! what is this?... I heard it all you guys are soo unprofessional and that was your manager??.... He looked at me with a face like a stunned mullet. Got in his car and drove off. it is not worth getting raa they are only good for if u have locked your car in the car....! Anything harder it's like watching a monkey trying to drive a car!

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Benny, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and we apologise for the lack of service you received from our patrol. Unfortunately as your membership is with RACQ and not RAA, we're unable to look you up in our system to investigate the incident for you. If you're able to pass your feedback onto RACQ though, they'll get in touch with us so that we can investigate for you. Kind regards, Laura