How to compare car insurance to find the best policy for you

If you're a regular driver, a good car insurance policy can grant you peace of mind. With so many providers and policies on the market, dipping into the policy pool can be confusing. Use this guide for tips on how to find the best, cheapest car insurance for you, whether comprehensive or third party.

Read now

2.1

Frencham8

Frencham8Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

Happy With Car Insurance

Good price and FANTASTIC service. I can't speak more highly enough about RAA Car Insurance. Over the years I have gone to a number of insurers, and whilst RAA might be slightly higher, the quality of their service has always been 10/10.

Claim Resolution Time<1 week
Claim DateJuly 2020
Car ModelJeep Grand Cherokee WH
Happy H.

Happy H.Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

Terrible RAA, DO NOT USE RAA

DO NOT use RAA if your car is a new car, or very new car, or expensive car within/around warranty, RAA NOT cover your car with original/genuine classes if your car's glasses damaged even brand new car according to RAA policy!! You must know this. RAA has a special deal with Obrian, RAA only give you off market glasses, NOT your car original glasses. Horrible company, no star.

barbara s.

barbara s.Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

On merry go round by staff after claim

Claim DateFebruary 2020

dont waste your time

dont buy this insurance they will find any reason to not help you out... especially if you're a traveler (non permanent resident). we were given false information on the phone so we would buy a premium account but when we came into motorbike issues we were stranded with zero benefits.

Wouldn't recommend

RAA agreed to the value of $17500 but only want to pay $10620 on my claim. They offered me $8000, then $10620 and now it's back at $8000. I have been called a liar in a letter, told me fauls information on evidence, told me no matter how much you spend on a car all premiums are the same, told me that I have to sort the difference of payout with the dealer I brought car from that it's not their issue and are changing their rembursment offer. Everyone I talk to tells me something different, there is nothing to this that makes sense. I will never use RAA again. 3 months later, no car and still fighting to have my claim accepted. They have started a new policy and charge me $73.33 per month and I don't even have a car

Not with it

Rick

RickMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Couldn't Care Less

Brand new car. Then after 12 months offered to insure for 40% less than purchased Price.
Reduced premium by $2.00.
Contacted RAA and said cancel Policy.
CS said you will lose your lifetime replacement? Please, what a joke.
Does not replace old for new.
Goodbye

Car ModelMini 5-Door Hatch F55 Cooper S
Monkey man

Monkey manSouth Australia

15% increase in one year

Insurance renewal arrived and had risen by 15% with no circumstances having changed since last renewal. Phoned raa and was told that they would only lower the renewal fee if I increased the excess. Another vehicle renewal due the day before had only risen by 1.8% year to year. Operator was not interested in trying to review the insurance or lower the amount. I've been with raa for 22 years and have a multi policy discount. Prior to calling had received quotes from five other insurance companies. All had similar or better benefits, with all being cheaper. Very disappointed, with raa. I have no choice, other than moving my insurance elsewhere.

Car ModelAudi A3
zaheed h.

zaheed h.

Rude customer service, Website & the App doesn't show renewal period

Daniel Grace

Daniel GraceMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

High class customer service

I am dealing with a stressful situationin relation to my car recently been hit.
Chloe Berry the customer rep for RAA is outstanding. She made my day by takin g care of my issue in organising a loan car she took that extra step and ensured the car hire place called me back. Chloe was so understanding only if more people were that professional. Great experience

Claimant is the policy holder No
Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Paul R.

Paul R.South Australia

Reasonably happy with cover.

Car stolen and recieved settlement very quickly after 21 day cooling off period, awesome!
However if you claim for loss of personal items which was partbof my claim, please make sure you have 'Proof of Ownership'.
I lost a highly collectable vintage surfboard but its only word of mouth without sufficient proof, of ownership.
Happy to now have another car, but painful lesson learned.

Claim DateJanuary 2020
Dana

DanaMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

RAA insurance is crap

A drunk driver hit me, car was a write off. Police attended, reported the drunk driver 100% at fault. The drunk drivers insurance company RAA dragged on the investigation for 3 months. Then told drunk driver to withdraw his claim as police charged him and he can’t plead not guilty if he has a claim pending. I’ve got no car and RAA are low life scum.

davinder k.

davinder k.Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

Don't get deceived by their being local advertiment

When my brother in law bought his first car after arriving in Australia. I have recommended RAA insurance to my brother in law. I thought it will be easy for him to deal with the local company. After couple of months he had an accident. Both the drivers are with RAA. Now raa is trying to find excuses for not to pay the compensation. After month they still can't determine who is at fault and want both drivers to pay excess . They treat the policy holder as thieves and refuse to acknowledge their duty. We will be lodging a complaint with office of business and consumer affairs soon.
To me this company has third world mentality. Stay away from them.

Claimant is the policy holder No
Ali T.

Ali T.Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

RAA refused my claim and cancelled my Comprehensive Policy after an accident

Claim DateApril 2019
kerbarb

kerbarbAdelaide, South Australia

Very happy with service

I had a claim on my vehicle which was caused by fire as a result of an auto electrician working on it. Very happy with service and prompt payout. They could not have been more pleasant to deal with. There was only 1 person who created some stress through either a lack of understanding about the claim process or their product.

Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Claim DateDecember 2019

Gordy

GordyMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Unfair Insurance Provider

Claim DateSeptember 2019
Sukie

SukieSouth Australia

Could not imagine better service

After a family member suffering a vehicle write-off from an uninsured driver, far away from home, RAA did the ground-work ... didn't say it was too hard, phoned the tow-truck company, analysed photos in lieu of assessment being an option, top job RAA!

Insurance TypeThird Party Property Damage
Claim DateNovember 2019
Car ModelHonda Accord 7th Gen
aasya i.

aasya i.

Extremely difficult to get your claim processed.

I have been with insurance company for nearly 5 years. Its pretty smooth if its a one way traffic- they charging us money, it becomes very difficult when we lodge a claim. Definitely changing all my cars to a different insurer

Claim DateNovember 2019
Car ModelHonda Civic 10th Gen (Hatchback) VTi-S
Bevzy

BevzyMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Worst customer service in terms of claims... Rear ended by someone and flee and still want me to pay the excess!!

Claim DateOctober 2019
Car ModelKia Sportage QL AO Edition 2WD, 2.0L Petrol, Automatic

Awful, stressful experience that's still going after a month

I was stopped in traffic and got hit by another car. My car is written off. I have new for old replacement. RAA still haven't paid out after a month. Every time you phone you get someone else. No care about the customer without a car and struggling with costs. 11 years a member. No care or consideration.

Trev Smith

Trev Smithasked

Car Insurance - Comprehensive

What is third party property insurance policy

adila704

adila704asked

RAA Car Insurance

I have comprehensive car insurance ! Recently had accident! my car will be non - repairable. My car is used when we bought but it’s a 2017 Honda and was only done 10,000 and around 40,000 on the clock right before the crash !, my question is , I read it in the PDS that car can be replaced with same model , year and condition ! We have loan with the car , and we only need a replacement car as we need a car anyways as we have 4 children ! Dose it possible to get replacement car instead the insurer pay out our loan and stuff ? This is my first claim ever! Hopefully will be hassle free as I already experienced a very unpleasant costumer services and stressing ! Praying for a good result ! Thank you !

Marelle S.asked

RAA Car Insurance

What is the average wait time for a pay out figure on a vehicle that has been written off under a comprehensive policy?

Douglas
Douglas

Hi Marelle, it took about eight weeks, but I delayed the process by not having my phone on hand (leaving it in the car and not checking the missed calls) when the RAA had tried to ring.

Marelle S.

Thanks Douglas. I have never encountered such a lack of customer service. It is causing me a huge amount of stress and financial pressure. I've been a RAA member for 17 years, and it means nothing. Never again.

Get an answer from our members and Royal Automotive Association representatives