RAA Travel Insurance

See the Best Travel Insurance in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Travel Insurance single trip to Sri Lanka

I took the travel insurance out for our trip to Sri Lanka, advised RAA that 4 month ago I was admitted to hospital for a angiogram during which they install two stents in partially blocked major arteries.
Following surgery I spent the night in ICU being allowed home the following day, now I take 4 more medications each day.
The RAA rep spoke with the insurance company and rang me back, they were more pleased to insure me with an additional $200.00 plus the standard policy of $214.00 = $414.00 for the 10 day policy covering me for all cardio events.

Insurance Cover For:Senior
Claim MadeNo

May be cheaper than some but aren’t there when you need to claim

Crap. Non helpful in claims and straight out sent them without even contacting you. They are in the Hussey business like the rest of them. Take take and oh you actually needed our services oh sorry we are unable to assist.

Type of ClaimLost/Stolen Property
Claim DateJune 2019
Claim ApprovedNo

Frauds never go with them

Frauds, We go to them thinking that it's an Australian company but when you need a claim they will put a Japanese company in front and will completely go out of the picture and that Japanese company does not even bother anything. Very poor customer service. RAA is just making money by getting their commission from the policies little bothered that they are spoiling their name and loosing business. These foreign companies bribe the local companies by giving them commission and they themselves remain backstage. People take the policies due to RAA and later find themselves in trouble when they do not get a valid claim as no one bothers. In my case I had to extend my stay as my father had passes away I even paid the extra premium for those extra days but still they did not gave any importace to my situation even though I surrendered them the death certificate of my father too. Never recomend them to any one.

Claim Resolution Time3+ months
Claim DateNovember 2018

Excellant

We have found Raa insurance excellant. We had to claim after a trip to Japan and it was handled well .There customer service is also been good on phone and direct. We have only claimed travel insurance once.

Insurance Cover For:Adult and Senior
Insurance TypeMulti-Trip
Type of ClaimLost/Stolen Property and Personal Liability
Claim DateMay 2018
Claim ApprovedYes

Don't do it

This company is completely useless. I regret ever purchasing Travel Insurance with these people.

We were on a holiday in Mexico and went to use a laundromat business, half our clothes went missing. The day after getting back to Australia I lodged a claim, I had all the information, all the evidence of purchase, everything.
Had've I known that I wouldn't hear back from them at all, I wouldn't have wasted about 4 hours that took me AND the money we paid for the insurance.

We sent the claim numerous times. After a week of not hearing a single thing, not even a confirmation email, we called. We got the excuse that because of all the public holidays (Easter etc) the person assessing our case has been on holidays.
So another 2 weeks passed and now we are in the month of May, about a month after returning from Mexico, and sending this claim.
We called again, apperently this time they sent us an email but got the email addresss wrong, I'm not sure how you can get an email incorrect when we are the ones that sent the email. Plus the email address is on our policy.
So we fixed up the error they had supposedly made, they said they would resend it. And here we are, no email and a crap review.

Do yourself a favor and find another company. I wish we didn't.

DestinationSouth America

No fuss claim payout.

Surprised to read below of others claim experience. My claims experience was 10 out of 10.
A China holiday was booked in Sept for holiday in April. Late Feb my wife developed shingles and is still ill some 2 months later (and looks as though will be for some time) and unfortunately had to cancel our trip.
I completed online claim form and followed instructions providing all documents which included a letter from doctor. I told my wife that the doctor's letter had insufficient info for an insurance claim and despite her protesting I was right !!.. Insurance Company requested completion of their Medical Report Form which we arranged.
As promised within 10 business days we had confirmation of acceptance of our claim with full payout less excess.
Very smooth and non stressful process. Thanks `Tokio Marine.

Type of ClaimMedical
Claim DateMarch 2019
Claim ApprovedYes
Hi Richard, thank you so much for providing this feedback on our travel insurance. I hope that your wife is doing better and improving in health, sorry to hear you couldn't make your trip. I will make sure this feedback is passed on to our team. Thanks again. Kind regards, Gemma

Get's easier everytime!

Very friendly and informative phone contacts.
Easy to fill out forms when applying for travel insurance (second time was able to complete medical assessments myself on line).
Still waiting on a claim settlement, I will review claim process in a few weeks time.

Insurance Cover For:Adult and Senior
Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim DateJanuary 2019
Claim ApprovedNo
Hi DJW, thank you for sending in this feedback, it is much appreciated. If you have any issues with the claim, please feel free to email us at online@raa.com.au and I can pick this up for you. Enjoy the rest of your week. Kind regards, Gemma

worst experience, they tried any thing to get out of paying anything at all

Will never insure with RAA again...this is the second time we insured with them first trip we didn;t need to make a claim , this trip we had two suite cases destroyed by baggage handlers and a phone damaged in a storm, Raa split the claim in to individual items and then put the $100 excess on each item , this made it almost worthless claiming anything , waiting on a hospital bill and wondering if they will spit that in to individual parts so they don't have to pay ...

DestinationEurope
Type of ClaimOther
Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim DateJanuary 2019
Claim ApprovedNo
Hi Rob, I'm sorry to hear you had things destroyed on your holiday and that our claims process was so difficult for you. I will escalate this feedback to our management team to take in to consideration. Kind regards, Gemma

Forget any medical review

We have used RAA travel insurance a lot in the past.
The medical assessment process is flawed. They use the same questions as everyone else, which is fine, but do not consider any sort of individual circumstances. What you are told on the medical assessment online review is final, there is no manual review process (confirmed by RAA). This process is behind the times and not up with current medical practices. COVERMORE and probably others (but not Insure&Go) provide a manual review process where they will look at individual circumstances. In my case it was rejected on having had a melanoma which had been proven clear by 6 quarterly CT scans but they woudn't accept ANY medical cover based on that alone, assuming that my melanoma of 18 months ago would cause a problem in the next 2 weeks

DestinationNorth America
Claim MadeNo
Hi there, sorry to hear of the issues you've experienced with our travel insurance recently. Are you able to please send through your policy or member number to us at online@raa.com.au so we can investigate the issues you've raised? Kind regards, Laura

Non existent customer service.

Very straight forward lost phone overseas case.

Lodged claim online, received a follow-up email some days later looking for more paperwork which we fwded off. Then NOTHING.

20 DAYS and follow up emails and phone calls, no response. Reading through the reviews here I wish I had have consulted you guys first and learnt what a sham this cover is.

Obviously I've done my insurance money but I have now cancelled my premium roadside assistance on both cars in our house. Hopefully these peanuts get the message that saying you are local is quite different to acting like a local.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Simmo, so sorry to hear that you lost your phone overseas and that the process of claiming has not been efficient or quick for you. I can organise for this to be investigated so that your claim can be settled, are you able to please send me your policy or claim number to online@raa.com.au so that I can do this? Kind regards, LauraHi Laura, frankly no. This is going to AFCA and you can deal with them directly... along with any fees that they charge you for the trouble. The fact that RAA is paying you to monitor these forums, and nobody to follow up the claims is baffling.... not to mention the fact that many of the follow up reviews on here state that all you can do is point me to your insurance vendor.

Here we go again - snap

Snap, however knee injury happened before the trip started which meant we had to cancel. GP was disbelieved When he declared no preexisting. Gross invasion of privacy asking for full medical history with no guarantee this information would not be misappropriated.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Helen, so sorry to hear that you've injured your knee recently, and such a shame you had to cancel your holiday because of it. I can organise for the issues you've raised with regards to claiming travel insurance to be investigated for you. Are you able to please send me some more info along with your policy/member number to online@raa.com.au so we can do this? Kind regards, Laura

Worst travel insurance ever.

First time using, will never again! The 24 hour emergency can’t even help you if it’s a Saturday. Yes they’ll answer the phone. No it’s not a person located in Australia (as promised) and no they won’t help you until Monday morning when ‘a doctor can assess the file’!!!!!!!! Terrible. I have since found out they are owned by some Japanese crowd?!!?!??

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi James, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. We're sorry to hear you've been unhappy with our travel insurance emergency helpline service recently, and we'd like to investigate the issues you've listed for you. Are you able to please send your policy/member number through to online@raa.com.au so we can do this? Kind regards, Laura

Would not pay my mother out or father

Stay away from Raa travel insurance as will not pay out even if you have letter from doctors .my mum had back pain and ended up having operation on back and couldn't go on cruise they had booked my father had to stay back and look after her so couldn't go as Well and they would pay for either person shame on you raa my father has been a member for over 50 years

Insurance claim madeNo
Hi Dave, sorry to hear that your parents have had difficulty with a travel insurance claim recently. If you're able to ask them to send some more information as well as their claim or member number through to online@raa.com.au we can investigate this for them. Kind regards, LauraHi Laura thanks for the reply your insurance company made it so stressful that dad deleted all his stuff mum had to go in for operation and the added stress was making there life hell if you send me your email I will send his details and membership number if you like thanks DavidHi David, I can understand that the situation would be very stressful and frustrating. If you're able to send your father's details including a contact phone number through to me at online@raa.com.au we can investigate and get in contact with your father to discuss. Kind regards, Laura

RAA Travel Insurance trip cancelation claim due to knee injury

I have used RAA Travel Insurance 4 times in the last 18 months to cover overseas holidays. Most recently we had to cancel our trip because my husband injured his knee which made walking too painful to access the listed trip activities. After the injury he saw the GP the very next day then had a series of follow up appointments trying to find a quick fix. Eventually cancelation was the only option. The GP completed the Tokio Marine Medical Certificate stating that there was no prior history of the injury. A claim was submitted which included every piece of information requested.

I had to follow up the claim as I’d not been contacted after 10 business days. Then I was told “copy of your full medical history (including Patient Health Summary, progress notes, investigations, referrals, reports etc ...) from your usual GP from a year prior to the date of policy purchase until present” is required

My husband made an appointment to see the GP regarding the additional information requested. The GP had NEVER been asked for such information in this way before. Always the request had come to him directly from the insurance company with a form for the patient to sign giving permission for the information to be released. He was not prepared to give the information as the request was highly irregular, he didn’t know how it would be used and it could invalidate his medical indemnity insurance. During the appointment the GP phoned the claims officer at Tokio Marine to say his request was unethical and he could not provide the information via the patient; only if requested by the insurance company.

Many phone calls later to RAA and TokioMarine and the claim has not been resolved. Without the requested information, Tokio Marine will not process the claim. The GP has stated there is no previous history and is not prepared to supply health information that does not relate to the knee injury.

Others need to be warned RAA Travel Insurance will not pay an injury claim without receiving a full medical history of the patient.

December 17th 2018 Update: Claim still not settled after 5 weeks

I have insured with RAA Travel Insurance 4 times. My husband sustained a knee injury and the doctor advised it would not be possible to undertake the proposed travel, especially as he would be required to walk for 2 to 3 hours, climb multiple flights of stairs and stand for 20 minutes. I posted on Product a Review on 5 December (hemabi) and the claim has not progressed despite providing absolutely every piece of information requested by TokioMarine. The boundaries keep being pushed out. SO I am posting a follow up review.

On the TokioMarine medical certificate, the GP described the injury, stated that we should not travel and testified that there was no previous history of knee injury. TokioMarine disbelieves the GP and is now requesting full medical history for the 12 months prior to the starting date of the policy. As the doctor stated the is no history of knee problems. My husband sustained a meniscal tear which clearly is not a degenerative situation, yet TokioMarine claims his case has been looked at by their medical team. Hard to believe.

The claims manger said she had enough information and she expected the claim to be settled today. WRONG, having assured us a medical history was not necessary, well surprise, surprise it now is. Last week TokioMarine sent to the GP the authority to release information supplied by my husband but they did not send a request for information. The GP was prepared to give information but non was requested.

SO, a roller coaster of raising and dashing hopes, totally inadequate processes for requesting information, refusal of TokioMarine to speak directly to my husband and now we have reached an impasse.

Tomorrow we will phone the ombudsman to seek advice on how we can progress our claim to payment.

NEVER, repeat NEVER insure with RAA Travel Insurance as it is impossible to resolve a simple claim when injury prevents travel.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi there, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We're sorry to hear of the difficulty you've had while making a travel insurance claim an would like to investigate this for you. Are you able to please send through your claim/member number to online@raa.com.au so we can do this? Kind regards, LauraI certainly can and will. This claim has spiralled out of control and reached an impasse.

Disappointed with RAA travel insurance

This was the first time we used RAA travel insurance and it will be the last time! Whilst overseas. One morning I had a sudden severe problem with my right knee. I had never had a problem with that knee before. After an hour or so, I could not even stand on it and needed to go to a nearby hospital. The problem was that we had booked accommodation for a 2 week trip though Germany and I was not able to drive the lease car we had. Even though most of cost of the accommodation was refunded without any problems, about $1000 was not. I did not even have to claim for going to the hospital because of an agreement between Medicare in Australia and the equivalent organisation overseas, witch meant there were no costs. I had all the detailed relevant information available and this was forwarded to Tokyo Marine Nichido (the underwriters) with the claim. I think that it is reasonable for such insurance companies to request all information relating to the actual problem (the knee injury) to be able to determine that it was not a pre-existing condition. However, to request my complete medical records for the two years preceding the injury, including clinical notes and referrals to specialists for any condition is, in my opinion, a gross invasion of one's privacy and should not be allowed. My claim was paid but, if you were to refuse to supply such private details you wouldn't get your claim settled!

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Theo, thank you for sharing your feedback and we're sorry to hear of the difficulty you had while making a travel insurance claim. We'd like to investigate this for you, are you able to please send through your claim/member number to online@raa.com.au so we can do this? Kind regards, Laura

Woeful Response

It took Tokio Marine 2 months to demand numerous documents before then rejecting my claim. If RAA do not change their company i will withdraw all the other policies I hold with them. RAA is only using Tokio in the last year or so and I find their attitude, their propensity to spin out the enquiry phase and their complete lack of response to my genuine circumstances quite outrageous. In the past i have sung the praises of RAA and their insurance cover. Now I roundly condemn it.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi there, thank you for sharing your feedback. We're sorry to hear you've had a negative experience when dealing with a travel insurance claim recently. We'd like to investigate this for you, are you able to please send some more information as well as your claim or member number through to online@raa.com.au to we can do this? Kind regards, Laura

Do not Use RAA travel insurance

I have made a claim on behalf of my husband who suffered a heart attack 2 days before an international flight after which he had quadruple by pass surgery. We had no choice but to cancel his flights and claim on the RAA travel insurance.
He had no pre-existing condition, no family history and this came totally out of the blue. 2 months later even after producing medical certification from his GP and copies of his surgery and discharge letters from hospital- Tokio Marine are still badgering his GP for more information. There is appalling customer service- failure to respond to phone calls, no reply to emails and even contacting the emergency line at the point of cancellation- the advice received by the call centre was useless.
I would never, never recommend this company for travel insurance and am already considering cancelling our RAA membership and other insurances we have through RAA.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Marybeth, sorry to hear your husband was so unwell and you have had issues with the claims process. I'd like to investigate why you had so many issues when your husband was unwell. I am able to get our managers to look in to this for you if you can email the details with your policy number to online@raa.com.au . Kind regards, GemmaIt is now 5 months since the travel claim and RAA/Tokio Marine have closed down my husband's claim without making a decision. This was after many phone calls where a so called Claims Officer actually told me that they treat ALL insurance claims as "false/bogus!". We were asked for and provided a list of all GP appointments and reasons for the appointments in the previous 12 months before insurance-they now want comprehensive details of all GP notes etc etc. When I queried why they asked for the appointment list and then refused to accept it- I was told that unless we provided the comprehensive GP information - the claim would be treated "ADVERSELY". The above supposed RAA official was useless and provided no assistance whatsoever only referring me to the Claims Officers. Asking to speak to a Claims manager was futile- initially they refused to put me through to anyone and just kept repeating "provide the information". The badgering and phone calls to my husband's GP were numerous and his GP surgery were not happy at being continually pestered. This does impact on the GP/patient relationship. The new televised RAA travel insurance adverts make me want to throw something at the screen!!Hi Marybeth, we're sorry to hear that you've experienced issues when making a travel insurance claim. We can give you a call to explain the disputes resolution process if you'd like, just send through your contact details and the best time to call to online@raa.com.au We are also happy to contact Tokio Marine on your behalf to investigate the issues you've outlined if you are able to provide a claim number to the above email address, as well as your name. Kind regards, Laura

Customer service

Applied for travel insurance, received the policy and quote. I read through the policy and RAA had made a mistake,
returned and had the policy corrected (their mistake), I was told the credit would be forwarded to me within 3 days,
didn't happen, another visit to the office and told I was given the wrong info and it could take up to 15 days -- to get back the refund that wasn't my mistake in the first place???

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Darryl, sorry to hear this has happened to you. Are you able to send the information to info@raa.com.au and I can have this looked in to for you. Kind regards, Gemma

WARNING!!! Do not use RAA for Travel Insurance.

Do not use RAA for travel insurance! I have been an RAA customer for many years and have always used RAA for my travel insurance. My holiday in March was unfortunately the first time I’ve ever had to make a claim using RAA. They refuse claims based on their assumptions not facts. I’m now moving 2 cars, home and contents insurance I held with RAA based on their disgusting customer service!!! Do yourself a favour and use someone else.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Kerrie, I'm sorry to hear you had this experience and you have moved your insurance from us. If there is anything else I can help with, please let me know. Kind regards, GemmaHi Gemma, it’s a little bit late when I had already emailed you,with no response and attended one of your shop fronts before leaving. I’d been with the RAA for over 20 years. I had no problem finding a new insurance company for a one off claim in 20 years! Problem for the RAA is you use an underwriter called Tokio Marine who give you a bad name and if enough south Australians get wind of your fraudulent activity it will be bye bye RAA

Luggage not covered once checked in to flight

RAA annual multi-trip international travel insurance (Tokio Marine Nichido)
I do not recommend this product.
International travel requires luggage to be checked in- plane or ship.
RAA travel insurance does not cover luggage from point of flight checkin to point of collection- even with two additional locks fastened.
- claim refused
- Request for refund of premium refused: ‘cooling off’ period expired
I do not recommend this product.
- unhappy RAA member (29years)

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Melanie, thank you for your review and I'm sorry to hear your luggage was damaged. I would be happy to arrange for this to be looked into for you. Are you able to please email me the claim number and the details of what happened to info@raa.com.au? Kind regards, LauraClaim 21343. All details provided with claim, including police reports. This is absolutely appalling.Hi, this matter has not been further looked into (all information had been provided for original claim as requested)