See the Best Car Insurance in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Nicholas R.

Nicholas R.Perth, WA

A bit of Hit and Miss

Well under valued one of my cars, insured for more than double what RAC was offering with Shannons and Enthusiast.

But then again they valued my other car for double than what it is worth.

One of the ladies who answered the phone sounded a bit rude

Insurance TypeComprehensive and Third Party, Fire and Theft

Julie345

Julie345PERTH

Easy claim, good service

I hit a kangaroo on a country road. RAC insurance organised a tow for me, and then organised the repair of my car. There was a fair bit of damage, but it was repaired as good as new with no fuss. Good service from the people I spoke to on the phone, no issues.

Job Satisfaction
Insurance TypeComprehensive, Compulsory Third Party and Third Party Property Damage
Car ModelSuzuki Vitara LY RT-X 4WD, 1.6L Diesel
Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim DateOctober 2019
Claim ApprovedYes

First time owning a car recieved no help

Recieved very little assitance with my claim. They decided to write it off in order to sell my car and make more money off it. They treated me very unfairly and were unwilling to help in anyway. Would not recommend.

Ness

NessPerth, WA

Motor Vehicle accident claim

My claim was sorted quickly and with understanding
Policy covered a hire car
Both parties with RAC so was extremely simple process
The accident was totally covered due to not being my fault

Car ModelJaguar X-Type X400
Claim MadeYes
Claimant is the policy holder No
Claim DateOctober 2019

Ivanna

IvannaPerth, WA

We always trust RAC for insurance but BAD phone customer service

We use RAC for house & property insurance, car insurance but always receive bad phone customer service. Why? Because we never receive our RAC member card. It has been numerous times I had to call RAC customer service to get my member card sent out to my address. How disappointing. We suppose to get what we pay.

Car ModelHonda Odyssey

Nathan S.Perth, WA

Helpful and painless

My wife was involved in an accident where she was T-Boned by a garbage truck. She was lucky to walk away from the accident. The RAC were great; she was in shock and they walked us through what to do next and they organised a tow truck. They even offered a taxi fare to allow her to get home. Within 24 hours they had notified us the car was a write-off and they paid out the claim a couple of days later without any fuss. They then even offered a car broker free of charge to help get a deal on a new car. They kept us in the loop at all times and took care us.

Car ModelMitsubishi Outlander
Claim Resolution Time<1 week
Claim DateSeptember 2019

Marcel B.

Marcel B.Peel, WA

Never had a problem

Generally reviews are posted when there is bad experiences but I have never had an issue with RAC. (Touch wood)

I found in comparison to other insurance companies RAC had the best value for money. Never had to make a claim for my car but my parents have in the past and they had no issues. Overall great service

Car ModelHyundai i30

Suzanne M.

Suzanne M.Perth, WA

Terrible experience

Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim DateSeptember 2019
Kellie H.

Kellie H.Perth, WA

RAC is no longer a good insurer.

I recently asked why my premium had gone up more than 20%, but I was met with an irrelevant scripted response, tetchy staff and misinformation. Go elsewhere. RAC has become so impressed by its own non-insurance products, such as the newsletter and discounts, that it's forgotten that its an insurer with clients who have an option to go elsewhere. So we did.

Angry of Perth

Angry of PerthPerth, WA

Really good customer service

After crashing with someone I found that dealing with the RAC was a relatively easy process, they went through all the steps in recovering the money, and informing us me much as possible all the way.
I did find that some questions I had couldn't be answered, as different departments were calling me for the different stages of the claim, but on the whole it worked out. I received the agreed money for the car within a week, and the withheld amount was refunded after about a month. Their site is currently a little misleading where it suggests you need to pay a sum of money while the claim is being processed, while in reality, it's just withheld from the money they pay you.

Car ModelVolkswagen Golf 7

Michael

MichaelMid West, WA

Some great savings in prospect

Big saving on motor car premium with windscreen cover added and prospect of having roadside assist at 50% of RAC cover (would change early but no refundfrom RAC !)
Looks good for second car when due.

Insurance TypeComprehensive and Third Party, Fire and Theft

Lee

LeeSouth West, WA

RAC Car insurance

Car ModelJeep Wrangler

Ellen

EllenSouth West, WA

Friendly, quick fix & competent

My car was back ended while my daughter was driving by another car which did minimal damage but still damage. I attended the accident rang RAC while there to notify of accident. Lady on end of phone was calm, professional and very helpful. I rang later and gave info regarding the accident and was advised of repairer close to home. Contacted repairer when home booked car in and 1 1/2 weeks later my car is repaired , back to me and looks same as prior to accident. I have been with RAC for many years and other than breakdowns I have not had to use them for an accident. I would highly recommend the RAC as the dealings I have had in all dealings especially my insurance claim was very professional, friendly and swift result.

Car ModelFord Kuga TF.II Titanium
Claim DateAugust 2019

Seve T.

Seve T.Perth, WA

I really like RAC Assistance, Am I crazy?

I've been with RAC for 2 years now and used the roadside assistance once. It was a good experience, they helped me a lot. And about the quality of the attendance, I lost my wallet last week, a guy found it, called the RAC to tell them to contact me that he was with my wallet. Even with this lucky, the RAC did a awesome job contacting me with the guy to recieve back my wallet. Haha surprising. That's why I like RAC.

Plan covers drivers under 25Yes
Car ModelHolden Viva JF (Wagon)
Claim MadeNo

It should be illegal to treat loyal customers like this...

Absolutely disgraceful to treat their loyal customers the way they do. I made a claim and was told 4 business days to assess my vehicle after being rear ended. An entire month had past and calling every single day of the week and complaining, to no avail. To this date they are still handling my claim with excuse after excuse and charging me a premium despite my refusal to do so. RAC are all liars, do not insure with them.

Car ModelSubaru Impreza
Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim DateJune 2019
tas8923

tas8923South West, WA

Worst company ever

Worst insurance company ever for making claims can't tell you straight. Time lines are not meet or even made no help no real customer service no effort to keep the customer stay away spend a little more for the respect and decent customer service nearly 2 years for a claim

Car ModelMazda bt50
Claim DateAugust 2017

John S.

John S.Perth, WA

Ripped Off with a Smile

Customer Service is Great, prompt and polite.
When it's time to payout, RAC will find any excuse not to pay.
They make up reasons not to pay, use dodgy local companies owned by idiots that no one has ever heard off.
Don't spend money with RAC.

Insurance TypeComprehensive and Third Party Property Damage
Claim DateJune 2019
Claim ApprovedNo

G. Hari

G. HariPerth, WA

Cost saving advice

I was there on 22/6/19 morning at RAC Cannington & was given good advice on how I can reduce my insurance policies & roadside assistance (2 cars & a possible motorcycle in the near future)... TQ

Alex S.

Alex S.

Terrible costumer service

Terrible terrible costumer service. We have been with QBI for years and the only reason we changed everything to Rac was that we could pay monthly. First claim we did was rejected because both cars were reversing in the car park even though my car was hit on the side!!!

Car ModelSubaru Outback 5GEN
Claim Resolution Time<1 week
Claim DateMay 2019
Claim ApprovedNo

Stew

StewWestern Australia

Price goes up every year

Car ModelHolden Cruze JH

Unbelievable1717

Unbelievable1717asked

I have roadside assistance and one day my car was making a strange irregular ting ting .. ting type sound coming from the engine bay, I called out RAC roadside and the mechanic said not to drive it and recommended I get it towed to the nearest service centre and would then get the free 30 minutes diagnosis on what the issue was prior to any repair costs. Firstly they don’t advise you that if their diagnosis has to remove the engine cover which may I add, for my car, takes two minutes or less – they then call and you have to pay an extra charge for their labour. They diagnose my car with having a stretched timing chain , Which had been broken the guides which was allowing the chain to hit the cover creating the sound. This was correct, and I did not really have an issue with this part of their service. The repair was done within three or four days, and as my car is a 96 model I understood they would need to order parts etc so that time frame was reasonable. I then went to pick up the car when it was ready, and a young mechanic who had been working on it was the one who drove it around to the front of the service centre – This was in Embleton Perth W.A. FYI – I turned on the car and listen to the motor, there was no more sound, which indicated they had done the repairs and the car was now running better. I drive the car around the block, and started to hear a winding sound – I then drove back to the RAC Centre less than 400 m, and went inside to question the whining sound. The customer service representative at the desk then called the mechanic/technician who had worked on my car back to assist me at the front of the centre. I lifted the bonnet and turn on the car and pointed out the whining sound I was hearing to which the mechanic said it’s likely just the fan belts sometimes they squeal – he goes inside to retrieve a lubricant spray – comes back and sprays the pulleys, and waits... The sound does not disappear but he assured me that if I allow the lubricant spray to work the sound will be gone after driving a short way. After this encounter I drove the car a total of 30kms back to my house and parked in the garage which has a carpeted floor. My intention was to sell the car, because in the meantime I had needed to buy a cheap replacement vehicle to get to work. My regional car then sat in my garage for three weeks while I re-sprayed and sanded and re-sprayed 80% of the panels on the exterior of the car With aims to sell for a higher price. After my painting was complete I then drove my car a further 45 km and as I was then reversing out the driveway, The car would not engage my reverse gear. The shifter on the automatic transmission moved into HDR easily, however the car it self would not engage into reverse at all. The house I had pulled into was actually my grandmas house - which is 600m from my own residence . I managed to push the car out the driveway and shifted into drive - the car responded and engaged into gear - so I then drove at 15kms an hour and parked it again at my own home . I then spent 2 days googling what the issue could be, and Discovered that My transmission oil was far below the dipstick level - so much so, that it was not even registering, and initially I had difficulty estimating where the level sat - Only to realise that it was not registering on the stick at all. I filled up the fluid, move the gearstick, did everything as suggested online, and there was still no change in my gearbox or the ability for my car into reverse - I then called out RAC again and the mechanic said that it could be a problem with the bands, that I needed to get it checked out, and that in order to change the drive chain, RAC who serviced the vehicle would not have to touch or go anywhere near my transmission, and therefore there must have been a leak. My response to this was to explain that my car had been sitting in the dri I then called out RAC again and the mechanic said that it could be a problem with the bands, that I needed to get it checked out, and that in order to change the drive chain, RAC who service the vehicle would not have to touch or go anywhere near my transmission, and therefore there must’ve been a leak. My response to this was to explain that my car had been sitting in the carpeted garage for three weeks since the service, had only driven a total of 60 km, and that there was not a single drop of transmission fluid on my carpeted floor where the car had sat. I then took the car to a gearbox service professional as I did not trust RAC to not try and charge me for this issue which they seems to have caused. The service professional said that I will need to replace my entire gearbox at a cost of approximately thousand dollars. I was on Centrelink payments, and I did not know what to do, so my only option was to get it towed again to my friends house while I worked out what I needed to do to fix the car and if anyone could work out a solution that didn’t involve replacing the entire gearbox. And entire year later, I was able to acquire the knowledge that in order for RAC to replace my drive chain, they They would have likely had to drop out my engine whilst on a hoist in order to access the area. My car is a 96 Hyundai coupe, where the cooling system for the Transmission runs via hose through the radiator, therefore in order to drop out the engine, they would have had to disconnect this hose which holds the transmission fluid. The mechanic either did not realise it was running out or forgot to replace the fluid once they put the engine back in. I believe it is quite negligent for them to not even check the fluids after such a service procedure, not to mention the diagnosis that I paid for initially would have noticed if there was low transmission fluid when it first went in . I had to pay a years worth of registration fees, $500 for a secondhand transmission, $500 for installation of transmission, just to drive the car 300 km and realise that there is a huge oil Leak coming from the rocket cover gasket which they had replaced, and also noticing that the drive chain cover was not on properly, and the half moon cells we also leaking. I realise that because I did not drive the car initially There was not enough travel time for these leaks to become apparent - At this point I decided to get the car towed again to Rac service centre in Canningvale, where after checking the car, they called to advise me that they had noticed the faults in the work previously done by RAC Embleton, and we are going to call them and ask if they were willing to pay for the repairs out of goodwill even though you had passed – obviously because they noticed the extremely low kilometres after the last repair the work. They have now had my car for 3 1/2 weeks, and have never bothered to call me with an update, And only advise me of the progress when I called them. They did not provide me with a hire car either. I want to know if anyone has had any issues with the services provided by RAC roadside toe and repair, and if anyone has any idea the process which I will need to go through in order to claim back my expenses caused by RAC is negligence on my initial service, which is backed up by them finding fault in their own work, and something as simple as a rocker cover gasket, is just in support of my reasoning And accusation that they are to blame for my transmission malfunction

NhNg

NhNgasked

Hi. Has anyone made a claim with RAC and rented a car from Budget while the car is being repaired?

4ukay

4ukayasked

My car has extensive damage from a not at fault accident, RAC want to repair it and return it minus the vin number plate. What are the repercussions of this to me legally and financially as I have been told car yards and financiers won't touch it. Can I make a claim for the devaluation of my car against the at fault driver even though she is also insured with the rac? Thank you! Kay

Sarah M
Sarah M

You do realise this is a review site...... Maybe contact them instead?

Rodent
Rodent

they cant do that its illegal.. in fact i cant understand y they would do that .. it actually makes no sense what so ever