RAC WA Car Insurance

RAC WA Car Insurance

Will Never Insure With The RAC Again..

Had quite a bad accident and had to process a claim. Making the claim was swift and fairly straight forward. The operator was helpful and tow truck was there in a timely manner. Great first impression but unfortunately was down hill from there.

My car should've been a write off. Every one I showed the photos to agreed, including my Father Inlaw who is a mechanic. Even every single operator I spoke to said that should have been except for the assessing team.

The assessor I dealt with was a shifty, fast talking moron who said otherwise. He must've been a sleazy car salesman in his previous life. Apparently could have the vehicle fixed for $1100 less than the agreed value on the policy. I explained to him that there is no way I would want to drive that vehicle ever again, knowing what the previous damage was.

After a lot of 'gift of the gab' nonsense from him, I pushed through a cash settlement. He tried to low ball me for my wreck and when I insisted that I wanted it delivered to my home, tried to convince me to not have it back. "you don't want that sitting on your lawn" I think was one of his smooth tactics.

Then after that conversation, I proceeded to contact the RAC and was told that they should be handling the claim???
I proceeded to call them every one of the five days as no one advised me of what was happening, especially the shady assessor. Also the 'WA' call centre was pointless. I might have well been talking to an overseas one as I got different information each phone call. Some polite and some rude. Depending on the day.

Luckily I received my cash settlement, decent money for the wreck through an independent party and have cancelled the policy. Which again, no one at the RAC advised me, apart from thinking of it myself. Since in their eyes it wasn't a write off, the car can still be insured. They then had the nerve to ask to keep the policy open for my next car. No thank you.

You put your trust in paying for full comprehensive insurance and when you are treated like this, saving a monthly amount isn't worth it. I'll head back to a bigger, reputable insurance company. BEWARE!

Claim Resolution Time<1 week
Claim DateMarch 2019
Claim ApprovedYes

WARNING! STAY AWAY

Absolute scammers. NEVER AGAIN. Absolute nightmare trying to post a legitimate claim, that ended with them favouring the other car to save them money, when I was parked!!!!
Avoid like the plague!!

Worst customer service ever

My partner and myself are insured by the rac, (well my partner was cancelled) my partner missed two payments unaware as it was debited from a bank account she had forgotten to check on. They did not let us be aware of the missed payments so we could pay and she could continue to be insured, they cancelled her insurance and did not advise. My partner had a car accident. 2010 car unaware was uninsured by the rac. I had to use my savings to buy another car for my partner and the 2010 car ended up sold off to the wreckers. Might cancel, no, I will be cancelling my insurance also. Find a decent insurance company. Who actually care about customers

Plan covers drivers under 25Yes
Claim MadeNo

Disgusted with their attitude.

My daughter was in a car park when suddenly someone swiped her. RAC tried to tell us that since the person who hit her car has a different story, they won't be fixing HIS car, therefore we have to pay the excess.

Plan covers drivers under 25Yes
Claim DateFebruary 2019
Claim ApprovedNo

Awesome response

The first contact lady was lovely
The driver came really quickly, working fast and effectively freeing our boy in under one minute. We will have RAC forever they were absolutely amazing

Claim MadeNo

know what your policy is and what you are Paying for.

Check Your Policy - You are NOT covered if you hit a person (on a bycical) he was 14 years old and it was his fault as he rode into me as I was going through a green light doing 63 km. The young man is okay he’s fine and survived but going any faster than 63 km most definitely would’ve hurt him a lot worse than what it did. I’ve got third-party comprehensive insurance Byron theft I am covered for someone starting a fire in my car I’m covered if someone steals my car and I’m covered if I hit another person in the car I’m covered for their repairs but not my repairs. So the word full comprehensive really isn’t full comprehensive because full comprehensive is fire theft and hitting another vehicle for your repairs and their repairs that’s what I thought I had. So it turns out that on this occasion I’ve got third party fire and theft only because I have hit a person I am not covered you cannot be covered or be insured or make yourself insured for hitting another person. If you hit a car or a motorcycle you are covered for that person but if you hit that person physically with your car you are only covered up to $5000 check your policy people a lot of people assume which makes an idiot out of everybody that there insurance will cover everything have a read what are you really paying for and what are you really covered for ??? Read the fine print make sure you know exactly what you’re paying for and what the policy exists for because you would hate to make a claim and then find out when it’s too late. So at the end of the day maybe the consumer is the one that has missed out on everything I’ve been told that my car is a write off with over $7000 worth of damage. There were no panels touched wrecked or hurt apart from the left-hand front passenger panel so in essence the $7000 that has been quoted to fix the vehicle the young boy didn’t even touch my bonnet the windscreen needs replacing he didn’t go up on the roof of my vehicle but that’s what I’ve been quoted for for the whole vehicle basically to be brand-new parts and the paint it’s ridiculous so now I lose my car I don’t get the market value what I insured it for because I hit a person and not a car so I’m out of pocket I’ve already lost $1800 plus $1000 cash to pay help pay for another vehicle etc etc etc my warning is please read your claim and what you are paying for. It’s a hard lesson to learn. Especially when you’re already stressed out about hitting a person. On this occasion I was extremely lucky that the boy was absolutely fine and I was basically given a loan car from of from my dad in law to use whilst we sort it out this insurance because it does take time for some reason you go to pluck out another car from the sky whilst you’re doing all this business and then you find that you’re not actually covered for a higher car because he hit a person and not a car be very careful as a fine line and it’s a very grey area people know what your policy is and what you are Paying for.

Insurance TypeThird Party, Fire and Theft
Plan covers drivers under 25No
Car ModelHolden Commodore VZ (2004-2006)

RAC only eats your money !!!!!

Absolutely terrible experience. My car was hit by someone else. Before I took the insurance, RAC said my car value is 15,000 AUD. After I had accident, RAC said that your car value is only 3000 AUD. And mentioned that I did this accident on purposely. That is ridiculous. RAC is a kind of company only wants to cheat your money and when you have problem, they have thousands of reasons not to pay you!!!!!!!

Absolutely Terrible

A vehicle reversed in to me whilst I was stationary in a car park and because I did not have a witness other than my wife sitting next to me, RAC choose to take the guilty drivers false story so they didn’t have to pay out!
I have multiple policies with RAC including the $1300 anual insurance fee for the my vehicle involved in the mentioned claim. This was my first ever claim!
They claim to look after their customers especially West Australian ones yet they wouldn’t even pay for the $250 repair!
I am taking all my policies elsewhere.
Absolutely Terrible. Absolutely Disappointed.
Absolutely Disgusted.

Insurance claim madeYes

avoid at all costs, they just want your money

so I hit a car that was parked right in the middle of the hwy (right after a hill crest) and he got a dent about the size of a cricket ball, my car was fine so the other guy made a claim with his insurer and I called RAC up after and without asking anny questions they jumped the gun and said I was at fault (whith out knowing where it was, what my car was or anything really) according to them the car behind is ALWAYS at falt NO MATTER WHAT and they won't look in to it or want to look at my dash cam video so I had to pay $1300 for a cricket ball sized dent to be fixed on that guys 10 year old toyota, (I called up Toyota as I have a mate who works there and he said it would cost $250 to repair, so where is the extra $1050 I had to pay going???) also they had terrible comunication and refused to tell me when the money was due even after asking multiple times, they just said pay asap (which wasn't an option at the time as I didn't have $1300 just laying around) now I need to find a new insurer

Very Bad Customer Service

This is my first ever getting car insurance with RAC. Purchase online and call the customer service to reconfirm on my enrollment. The professionalism is below than my expectation. Unfriendly & not welcoming me at all as a first time customer. The product is fairly good, but with bad customer service, I don’t think it’s worth it.

I do not recommend RAC

I've included some information below that may be helpful when reviewing the level of service RAC offer. Overall, I am very disappointed with the service and do not recommending people go to the RAC for insurance.

I had an accident that was not my fault - someone ran into the back of me and wrote the car off

- I received only $2600 of the agreed value ($3000) as I had to pay out the life of the policy (ie. paying insurance for 10 months even though I no longer have a car to insure)
- The hire car was only made available for 5 days then I had to give it back as the claim was processed. This was not long enough for me to buy a new car particularly as they short changed me
- The process for managing the claim and contacting the relevant companies was non-existent. I had to manage the communication an coordination for the RAC, hire car company, tow company, the person who smashed my cars insurance company (and their insurance company as the claim was over $1000 so they couldn't process it).
- On the accident scene, I spend 20 mins on hold trying to contact the RAC from the accident site before giving up

Going back to Allianz

I had a not at fault accident on 4th Dec 18. I made an online claim on RAC website. It took 10 days to get any info about my car, which is towed away from the accident. Also RAC insist me to contact the repair shop to get the info. What a fabulous idea!
When contacting the repair shop they are bit annoyed as they do t have any updates from RAC regarding my claim.
Today 18th Dec, still chasing the claim progress.

RAC IS RIDICULOUS, WILL GO BACK TO ALLIANZ.
PLS DONT GO FOR THEM. AS ALWAYS YOU WILL BE HAPPY UNTIL YOU MAKE THE CLAIM.
I have done reviews on other sites and it all removed in a couple of hours. Hope this will last, for others to know, if I have seen the reviews before then I won't switch my insurance to RAC.

Super quick. No hassles.

Was rear-ended recently. The online claim portal was really easy. Within an hour or so, had a booking for my car to be assessed. My policy also covers a free hire-car.

My wife then reminded me the baby seat would need replacing. Phoned RAC and the operator told me to email a photo of the baby seat + a screenshot of an online advertisement for an equivalent model. Again, within a few hours my claim was approved.

Thanks RAC :)

APPALLING service and knowledge

UNBELIEVABLE and RIDICULOUS! It took five phone calls (to different customer service representatives) and almost five hours to resolve an issue with opening a new online car insurance policy! The online form was NOT generating me an automatic $100 discount for being a first-time member. My first call to RAC was at 11am this morning, to a helpful person who advised me of this online promotion. Of course, when I went to register online, it was not generating the discount! Called RAC again to be put through to a brash and arrogant male member from the Carousel branch who was not willing to help me, stating he had no idea and couldn't help (with no offer of speaking to another team member who perhaps might know). After a few more attempts at the online registration, I called RAC again to be put through to a polite South African man from Joondalup who at least was kind and tried his best but once again could not help me. I then called again and spent 61min:43secs on the phone to a fourth RAC representative who (to her credit) tried everything she could think of to get this 'discount' to show up on my online policy. However, this had the same result. In the end she asked me to try registering on a different computer, so I rang my partner and he tried to open the policy (with my car rego number) only to get the same result! Living in Scarborough, I decided to go and visit a branch in person (and to not leave until this was resolved), only to find out that the Osborne Park RAC building is a service centre and not a customer/member services branch. Called RAC Carousel directly and spoke to a nice lady who asked me to once again call the RAC reception (on 13 17 03), and not let them go until they sorted this out for me! Unfortunately the person in reception this time behaved like a young, entitled [name removed] who made me feel like an inconvenience to her day. She replied in a flat monotone that I couldn't speak to a manager and that there was nothing more she could do than to ONCE AGAIN put me through to a customer representative in the car insurance department (which I BEGGED her not to do, as I would have to relay the whole story a fifth time). Luckily, a very smart woman (who was NEW) managed to figure out that there was a problem in the online system recognising my vehicle's rego number from a previous owner (also an RAC member), hence the reason why the online registration was not recognising me as a new member, and therefore not generating the $100 first-time-member discount for me! I had her stay on the phone to me while I successfully completed the online registration. I paid for it and she was able to open my new policy for me. However, towards the end she put me on hold while she was making the last-minute touches to my policy and accidentally hung up on me at 4:53pm. It is now 5:16pm and she has not called me back, so I really do hope that the emails come through and my RAC car insurance policy has been settled.
WAY TO GO, RAC. GREAT WAY TO WELCOME YOUR FIRST-TIME MEMBERS. I'm sure you'll get generate plenty of new business by continuing to treat your customers in this fashion. Good luck to you. What an absolute joke!

VERY POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE

Very disappointed with RAC and their customer service. I could get more done in the space of a few days than they could do in a week. A truck hit my parked car and drove off - there were witnesses who kindly left their details and took photos of the incident. The company who hit my car have agreed to pay my excess which I organised with them. RAC are refusing to take any payment from them until they finish "investigating" which may take up to 6 months time. I feel that is an outrageous time as there is plenty to go off and they are just dragging there feet. All the experiences I have had with RAC have been unpleasant. Not impressed at all.

Insurance claim madeYes

Appalling service. Do not use.

I was t-boned by another car at an intersection and my car was written off. I provided the details of a witness who saw the entire event, however the RAC refused to speak to my witness and automatically deemed me liable for an accident which makes no sense at all. The RAC refused to cover my excess and the claims over was extremely rude and shouted over the top of me.

Never, ever use this insurer. They are not the honest insurer they claim to be. You are not safe and you are guaranteed be held liable for any accidents that aren't your fault. All they want is your money.

Absolute joke

Spent 80 minutes on the phone yesterday just to try and pay an insurance renewal. At the end of the call they said to try again the next day. Back in a queue again today. They cannot even answer a call to take your money. I can't pay online as they have given't me a payment number.
This is hot on the heels of them gouging my elderly parents for house insurance 4 times the replacement building cost. My parents trusted RAC and insured with then their entire adult lives but their trust was returned with an absolute gouge. Bring on a Royal Commission to investigate these scammers.

Poor customer service

Dont read emails. Don't respond to emails in a timely manner when prompted. Don't return phone calls. Don't have information readily available. Vague and ambiguous with answers to relevant questions.

Insurance claim madeYes

Impressive customer service over the phone

Excellent customer service today, very helpful and quick over the phone. I was after information regarding my car's total loss and buy-back from the hail storm in 2010, 8 yrs ago. I spoke to 3 staff members who all did their best to help and ended up with the information I needed. I have been with RAC car insurance since 2005 making several claims over the years. I have always received excellent service. For a brief period I was with another slightly cheaper insurance company, but the service was not as good.

So quick

My son recently wrote off my car, RAC organised a tow truck, but another vulture loaded up the car first.The cancelled the first one , still payed for the first and organised for us to remove our items as the tow company wouldn’t allow us to.Money was in our bank within 3 days, all operators were brilliant that I dealt with