Car Insurance Buying Guide

Our buying guide will explain which type of car insurance would suit you most, how much you can expect to pay for one, and which features are worth looking out for.

2.0

UnhappyJan

UnhappyJanSouth East Queensland, QLD

Fine until you have to lodge a claim

Claim DateJuly 2020
Pissedoff

PissedoffSouth East Queensland, QLD

Virtually effortless to get my matter sorted.

Someone accidently smashed my car window while mowing. I took the claim through the RACQ and they were fantastic, there was minimum effort to get the glass repaired the next day. I was so happy. I feel this is some of the best money I pay because it gives me peace of mind. Also I would like to shout out to all the RACQ roadside assist guys. They've all been fantastic and they make sure that being a female I was not left in a vunerable situation when I was in a location I did not know.

Claim Resolution Time<1 week
Claim DateApril 2020
Brock A.

Brock A.South East Queensland, QLD

Worst insurer! Disgusting service

Spent $3.5k over three years for full comprehensive to make a claim after a lady bit** hit my BMW in a carpark. For my claim to be rejected as I did not disclose my traffic history that considered of one drink driving charge! That had nothing to do with this incident as I was stationary in a carpark but in the PDS (fine print) there is a clause about disclosing any new or old traffic convictions. So I had to go after her insurance company with my witness statement (she didn't have one) so Allianz paid me out instead of my own insurer. Would not recommend RACQ due to their sneaky tactics listed in the product disclosure statement.

Car ModelBMW 3 Series E90

Aaron

AaronSouth East Queensland, QLD

Terrible Service, Can't Even Guarantee Their Work! Avoid!

Claim MadeNo
Car ModelMitsubishi Challenger
Brad M.

Brad M.

Just another nail in the coffin

RACQ told us to rent a car while ours was repaired and send the rental bill to the other parties insurance company, whose client was deemed solely at fault. Five months later with emails and letters not being answered, the two insurance companies decided to have a COVID handshake leaving us with the $550 rental bill. Takes only so many nails before the coffin goes into the ground .

Car ModelHonda HR-V

Just another corporate entity

Unhappy

UnhappyQueensland

Terrible

I got a text from NRMA'S (other person insurer) debt collector because my insurer RACQ didnt manage to fulfill there end of the deal and pay NRMA for an accident i caused 12 months ago! . I payed my excess of $600 ish and im a rating 1! - now ive been sent to a debt collector because the insurance companies incompetence of contacting each other!. How does a fully insured person get sent to a debt collector?! DISGRACEFUL! Not only that i had a terrible time getting the repairs on my car done at RACQ nominated repairer, in the end the repairers manager said we still it up and you can come back another time and we will fix it when you can leave the car for a longer period. They had it for a month for just a bumper bar!

Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim DateJune 2019
Maria

MariaSouth East Queensland, QLD

Customer service assistant wanted to cancel the policy immediately when covered & paid for 3 more weeks

Claim MadeNo

rip off fools

800$ new car policy ,2 weeks old,other party wrote my car off so aami paid out,racq didn't want to refund or transfer policy to new car,stay away from RACQ, these are professional crooks

SushiT

SushiTSouth East Queensland, QLD

Agree with another reviewer - you have to do all the work

Insurance TypeComprehensive and Compulsory Third Party
Claim DateSeptember 2019
Car ModelToyota Yaris
The rain is coming.

The rain is coming.Brisbane

RACQ make you do all the work

Involved in a car accident on the 11th of Feb. Fully insured with RACQ with 3 cars for many years. You have to make all the phone calls as we have not been called once by anyone from RACQ, I raised a complaint and was told I would be contacted, this has not happened and I was hung up on and I was not rude at all

Claim DateFebruary 2020
Walter

WalterSouth East Queensland, QLD

Please do yourself a favor and don't get insurance from these guys

If you are in Brisbane do not get your car insurance from them, first of all they send you to a repair shop that has terrible reviews and take almost 2 months to even look at your car then they get wrong parts then and you to a guy that calls you whithin 3 weeks or when he feels like . It has been 4 months and still waiting on parts and a phone call

Lisa

LisaSouth East Queensland, QLD

I am very disappointed about racq car insurance!

I am very disappointed about racq car insurance! Last year November a crazy lady speedy off the highway and hit my car but unfortunately there is no camera on that road, the crazy lady lie to her insurance company and denied her fault. Racq is useless to do anything and asked me to responsible for this accident. I nearly have been killed by this bad woman and now suffering injustice. And it's very difficult to reach the racq phone number, staff very rude! I am going to quit racq insurance company!

Van L.

Van L.South East Queensland, QLD

Terrible car insurance

I've never dealt with such terrible insurance company, so slack and incompetent. I've had to keep on calling them about my claim after a car accident with one of their client ( i'm not at fault). I emailed them the details of the accident a week later and only about 2 1/2 months later they sent to me to get a quote for my car and will call me back on Monday. But it been 6 days, no one call me back, so i end up calling them. I came across a smart aleck telling me they still assessing the quote and not to drive my car if it is not safe ( so how the hell do you think i can go to work without my broken car, thanks for the advise). Still in dispute about this, but worst car company ever.

Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Car ModelToyota Corolla

Nicole

NicoleSouth East Queensland, QLD

TERRIBLE

Collision repairer choice is terrible. Car is still not fixed, and they do not care. All emails phone calls etc ignored. Outside and mechanical issues, not fixed, even after returning it twice.

Claim DateOctober 2019
Car ModelMitsubishi ASX
Suraj

Suraj

Worst Insurance: Stay away

The policy was not the most expensive but was still way more expensive than a lot of its competition.

A claim was lodged, they only fixed the exterior of the vehicle, did not address the leak issue that arose after the accident. Claim was lodged October Mid, dispute was raised in November. They told on January 2, and that they will not fix the car. They still have my car and has not even returned it.

Stay away from them.

Insurance TypeComprehensive, Compulsory Third Party, Third Party Property Damage and Third Party, Fire and Theft
Claim DateOctober 2019
Car ModelHonda CR-V
Mic

MicSouth East Queensland, QLD

Horrible

Absolutely pathetic. I've never dealt with such an incompetent insurance company. I've had to constantly call about my daughters claim after a car accident (she was not the at fault driver)
They haven't even bothered to chase up the other party even though we have filed a police report.
They leave you on hold for an hour, only to give you no information.
Take your business elsewhere. They are useless and deserve the bad reviews.

Insurance TypeThird Party, Fire and Theft
Toni

ToniSouth East Queensland, QLD

Disgusting service

I was recently hit from behind at a roundabout. I called racq straight away, and initially everything was fine with regards to organising repairs. But upon asking about a hire car and this being covered by the at fault parties insurance, was told I had to contact them and ask them to lodge a claim. I would then have to contact his insurer to organise reimbursement. What? I've been paying racq comprehensive insurance premiums for 20 years and am expected to do all the work! The guy who hit me was awful and abusive, I was in shock and had mild whiplash. Everytime I call racq I have been on hold for 30 minutes. I lodged a complaint 2 weeks ago and haven't heard a word. Avoid racq please people!!

Claim DateDecember 2019
Car ModelAudi A4
eddy

eddySouth East Queensland, QLD

How to get RACQ to pay out on a stolen car claim

Claim DateSeptember 2019