RACQ Car Insurance

See the Best Car Insurance in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Easy claiming

Very easy claim from start to finish only 4 weeks. Staff were great on the phone and they put my mind at ease as this was my first ever claim in 33 years, not my fault! I was very impressed and would recommend RACQ

Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim DateAugust 2019
Claim ApprovedYes

Don't investigate accidents to find out true cause

Recently I had an accident where the other driver should have been held at fault. RACQ did not investigate the accident correctly, despite having sent photographic evidence from the scene. They then listed me at fault and made me pay the excess to repair my vehicle. Trying to work with them, I made numerous attempts to contact them and discuss the accident for a better outcome. Some of my contact was ignored after they received my excess. The clincher is the other driver wont speak to them because they don't want to confirm they were doing something illegal which caused the accident. Not worth RACQ's premiums with so much competitive insurance companies willing to take you business! Shame on you RACQ! Boooooo

Car ModelHyundai ix35
Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim DateAugust 2019
Claim ApprovedYes

Refused a new insurance policy for a silly reason even though I have 7 current policies with them.

I have 7 RACQ insurances totalling ~$6000 per year and yet was refused a new car insurance cover because I mentioned I may be selling the car within the year.

Insurance TypeComprehensive and Compulsory Third Party

Waste of Money! Unprofessional

I was very disappointed to RACQ patrol. Very rude, unprofessional, instead of fixing it, he broke it double the problem! You guys needs more training and pls be nice to your clients. We are the one who paying you! So pls do your job properly. We will definitely cancel our membership and find a company that will deserve our money. I was really upset! Waste of money to join here in RACQ!

Car ModelHyundai Accent LC

Lots of different staff

One of my clients damaged my car severely. Had to ask RACQ all the questions like about a rental car etc (nothing was offered). Repair took an extra 2 weeks so I had to extend the rental. Then I was refused an extra 2 days on the rental despite my car still not being ready to be picked up.

Additionally,I was asked every time I called about my address and had to get it changed every single time. There is email evidence of an address change. Sorry guys,not good enough. Some staff were very helpful,some the complete opposite

Insurance TypeCompulsory Third Party
Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim DateJuly 2019
Claim ApprovedYes

6 week repair. Damage while at RACQ repair shop.

Avoid at all costs. Not good value in any way.
Their policy is 14 day car hire, they will tell you it will be fine and could be extended upon review but they won't. Takes the RACQ certified repairer a week to assess and a week and a half before any parts start to be ordered. Takes 14 days just to start the process! They will happily leave you high and dry without a car and expect you to deal with it. Car was also damaged and scratched while in the care of RACQ being fixed. RACQ will not care for your concerns and will not show any compassion. Please avoid, do yourselves a favour.

Car ModelHyundai i30
Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim DateJuly 2019
Claim ApprovedYes

This is imperfect cant live with this insurance company

Absolute terrible insurance company.. lie after lie for about 12 weeks and still counting still have not got my van back.. took 4 weeks to just assess the damage.. it was my fault as driver and am learning from my mistake the hardest possible way

Car ModelMercedes-Benz Sprinter
Claimant is the policy holder No
Claim Resolution Time3+ months
Claim DateMay 2019
Claim ApprovedYes

Rip off for renew car insurance

If you are loyal with them many years multiple insurance ,no claim ,insurance going dramatically up.Another insurance (no dodgy) company giving to us better quotes and we don't have with them any another policy!

Claim MadeNo

Simple, easy and great value

RACQ is easily the most efficient and best value car insurance company to deal with, it's just a shame they don't insure outside of Queensland.

They make the process of organising a quote online or over the phone as simple and painless as possible, and offer many standard inclusions without charging you any extra.

And their customer service is outstanding with the consistency and professionalism of the staff something I'm not used to. And another quality is they're not over the top with their sales tactics which is a pleasant change compared to some of the competition.

But best of all, you always get Australian employees in Australian call centres.

dodgy RACQ repairer

Someone reversed into our VW and there was damage to the rear bumper. Racq sent us to there "approved repairer" 20klms away. the repairer provided my partner with a car. it had smoke coming out of it and kept stopping but she was on a highway, finally it gave up the ghost and had to be recovered. she said it was dangerous and was terrified. then when we got the car back the reverse camera was not working (it was when it went there) we then took it back twice and they admitted they could not repair it. we took it to a VW dealer who said the camera had been removed. 10 months later after emails and phone calls and no response from RACQ or the repairer we went to the RACQ main office at 8mile plains.
Racq contacted the repairer who said that model did not come with a reverse camera, unbelievable , it does. then said they hadn't touched the camera but they had it for 2 days trying to fix it. anyway they deny all responsibility. we are now contact consumer affairs and will be taking civil action against them. advice allways choose your own repairer and don't insure yourself with RACQ.

Claimant is the policy holder No

Horrid phone manners.... and could not even be bothered help me!

Their Phone manner is nasty! They charge so much more than others! I ended up paying only half of Racq's prices! No more money from me! I will never be back.

First Accident with RACQ Cover

I moved over to RACQ twelve months ago because Suncorp was unable to cover my under 25 son on a couple of vehicles, I had with them. Premium wise there was little difference on the two vehicles between RACQ and Suncorp. Late June 2019, my wife unfortunately backed out of our driveway and caused damage to our vehicle and a neighbour's vehicle parked across the road.

The Claim process was completed online and I very promptly received a call from RACQ that the claim had been accepted and was provided various repair appointment times at a repairer relatively close to my home. I dropped the car over and it was quickly assessed and all repairs were completed within a week. There wasn't much damage but the service was really efficient.

In terms of my neighbour's car their repairs hadn't been completed when I wrote this review but they have had their vehicle assessed, the repairs have been commenced and they have been provided a rental vehicle as per my policy.

Car ModelNissan 370z Z34 Roadster Manual
Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Claim DateJune 2019

Terrible customer service!

Terrible customer service! no answer on the phone when we went to their office they just ignored us....how rude are the staff ...will not go on RACQ car insurance, we had wreck a month ago still nothing is done and no answer...never never put yourself in trouble by insuring your car with this horrible insurance

Claim DateJune 2019

2 year battery warranty is a JOKE

Bought a battery 22 months ago which went flat today. Got to buy a new one from the road assistance guy. Requested for a refund as still 2 more months to go to complete the warranty period. They said they can't give any refund.

No more batteries from RACQ unless they say openly that there is no warranty .

No more lies guys .

Car ModelHonda Civic

Terrible service

When I went to cancel my policy I got told that no money would come out on the cancelled date to find that money had been taken out on the date, when I rang them up they told me that the money came out because you pay for your insurance behind 1 month every time instead of advance payments.... such a stupid way of paying for things.... very annoyed about this as it has overdrawn my account

Claim MadeNo

Dont waste your money - you dont get what you used to!

I have had a few RACQ vehicle inspections done over the years and have always been happy - they even saved me from buying a lemon one time. In my most recent one I learned the hard way that they no longer do engine compression tests - the old Coles/Woolies trick of shrinking the cereal boxes but leaving the price the same. Ask why compression test not done and get the standard lawyer answer of 'conditions are posted on the web site'. If you want a pretty report with lots of pics of scratches and dings go right ahead and spend the $300. If you want an actual inspection that tells you the true mechanical condition of a vehicle, find someone else to do it for you. Horrendous service and useless to you unless you are blind and want to know if the paint looks nice or not.

Car ModelSuzuki Swift

Terrible customer service

We had a comprehensive car insurance with them, and 1 roadside assistance. (which I thought would cover any car that my husband drove) We bought a Kia Truck just a few days ago and was planning to take another comprehensive insurance with them. My husband locked the car keys inside at Carindale Shopping Center. Waited 10+ for them to pick up and I explained the situation. That girl asks me what is the rego. I explained we just bought the car so I will text my husband for rego details. and she says to me "can you call back when you have info" and I said he is going to reply any minute now and she kept repeating her sentences. What the , are you there to help people or just to take their money. -RACQ
I will be cancelling everything with them. Well reward this lady, she just cost you 2 comprehensive insurance and roadside assistance.

Claim MadeNo

paying insurance bill from email

13/06/2019 4 pm. Telecon REF:- U0009629.
Went to pay bill online from the email RACQ sent me. I was one day late.
Typed in payment details security code etc. Asked for a email receipt etc.
When I pressed pay...... icon just sat there and spinning. Let it go for about 5 minutes. Nothing.
Was running late for an appointment. Came back and tried again....Same deal.
Ended up telephoning them....had to go through verification process Twice. (Now I am getting AGROW)
I was told I had paid it Twice. Arranging credit takes 10 working days. Got a Receipt No.
Moral of story: Don't use the email bill sent pay system they send you.... it's broke or does not work efficiently.

Insurance TypeThird Party, Fire and Theft
Car ModelMazda 121 DW
Claim MadeNo

Please read the reviews before signing up and getting ripped off by RACQ

Terrible experience with RACQ and they do not care for their customers just taking money from you.
Never delt with such rude customer service before. Can’t believe how they can get away with it.

Car ModelToyota LandCruiser 70 Series
Claim Resolution Time3+ months
Claim DateOctober 2018
Claim ApprovedNo

Horrible customer service, unrealistically low market value for payouts

Have insured with RACQ and had to claim twice over the last 15 years and have had an appalling experience with them both times. The latest experience was with a not at fault claim, in which my car has been written off and despite holding full comprehensive insurance, the market value they have offered me is horrendously and unrealistically low, leaving absolutely no way that I could replace the vehicle with a car of similar value. Have also experienced incredibly unhelpful and uncaring customer service when I have tried to resolve this issue, as I also experienced with the first claim. Will never insure with them again.

Claim MadeYes

I am looking at a repairable write off vehicle that has to go through an inspection yet and if it passes with flying colours does it cost more to insure it or just the same as non-repairable write off?

Had RACQ vehicle inspection all oked by racq continued with purchase, then 4 months later car blew the motor 2 mechanics said the problem would have been there for a long time. Do we have a case. Sharyn reply to shazzcam7@gmail.com

We have submitted a car insurance claim on the second of March. To this day, we haven' heard anything form RACQ. We called them several times, and they say that they are trying to get in contact with the other insurance company. Is this delay standard? I have been an RACQ/NRMA member for 25 years and an insurance policy holder (of various types) as well. I am seriously considering cancelling my other two policies if this is the service i will receive when i need them.
No this is what RACQ does. They stuff you around for months on end hoping you will go away. Report them to AFCA. AFCA are VERY aware of RACQ and currently have a number of complaints against them. Email me at ashj644@gmail if I can be of any assistance. I'm a former investigator and have lots of experience with rogue insurance companies

CategoryCar Insurance
Other Insurance Types Offered Home and Contents, Income, Life, Pet and Travel
Coverage OfferedComprehensive, Compulsory Third Party, Third Party, Fire and Theft and Veteran, Vintage and Classic Vehicle
Roadside Assistance OfferedYes