RACQ Pet Insurance

RACQ Pet Insurance

See the Best Pet Insurance in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

• Claim Resolution Time3+ months (2) · 2-4 weeks (2) · 1-2 weeks (1) · <1 week (1)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (2) · No (5)
  • Incentivised Review Yes (0%) · No (100%)

Keryn M.

Keryn M.South East Queensland, QLD

Strict underwriters

Strict underwriting and exclusions. I had a dog covered for many years who had a life long illness, and then decided it was too high risk and was forced to leave the policy. The customer service was terrible and zero empathy during stressful times involving my fur kid/s.

Claim Resolution Time<1 week
Claim DateJanuary 2020

Darin

DarinPerth, WA

Very particular on pets they insure

Our dog had back leg problems when it was a pup. Vet fixed legs and said it would probably not be an issue for the rest of it's life. Dog now seven had no other leg issues and RAC said they will not insure him

Claim MadeNo
Bec

Bec

Fantastic service, worth having

My cat recently became very ill. Which ended up being a rather expensive treatment of 3 weeks at the vets, specialist and emergency. It was a massive claim with my RACQ Pet Insurance, and they paid the full amount. It's worth it being with RACQ. Happy to have 3 pets insured with RACQ.

Number of Pets3 pets
Pet Type(s) InsuredCat and Dog
Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Claim DateOctober 2019
Claim ApprovedYes

Devious hidden exemptions and make their money by not paying claims

Deb

DebDarling Downs, QLD

Won’t pay even basic claims

Although the breed of dog is specifically stated in the certificate of insurance, failed to pay out on surgery due to the issue being a common concern in the breed. Researched policies carefully because I was aware of issues with claim payout but I thought RACQ was reputable so am extremely disappointed. Pre- existing condition an easy out for non payout of claim.
Cancel now!

Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks

Lara S.

Lara S.

Terrible service & waste of money

Stay away from RAC pet insurance.
They do not pay out large claims. They will claim it is a pre existing illness even though my dog has no vet record of pre-existing illness or injury I even got my vet to write a letter to them stating that and still can’t get my claim accepted.
Very difficult deal with and the worst costumer service.
I seriously don’t know how they can get away with it.

Claim Resolution Time3+ months
Claim DateNovember 2018

Emily

EmilySouth East Queensland, QLD

Took awhile but got there in the end

I recently made my first claim, was quite easy, just called up and answered a few questions and they did the rest. They contacted me a few times throughout the process with updates. My only complaint was that it took about a month to get an answer, but in the end they approved my claim, refunding me $1100. Hopefully future claims won't take as long. You do need to be careful about pre existing conditions though. I took my dog to the vet once a couple years ago because she was in pain, gave her a couple of pain meds and was fine but now they're trying to say she has osteoarthritis even though she doesn't. Now I have to take her to the vet and fill out a waiver form to get it sorted out.

Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim DateMarch 2019
Claim ApprovedYes

Blake

BlakePerth, WA

Don't waste your money! Terrible customer service

Claim Resolution Time3+ months
Claim DateJanuary 2019
Claim ApprovedNo

Non stop phone calls after obtaining quote

Went onto the RAC Pet insurance website to purely see what kind of costs/quotes are involved with their pet insurance, i didn't even progress the page after seeing the quote and I have been spammed every day non-stop with random phone numbers linked to RAC Pet Insurance trying to get ahold of me!! Do youself a favour don't even bother getting a quote from these guys if you do not want to get a tonne of unsolicited phone calls, pests.

Claim MadeNo

Alice SPerth

Huge Improvement, well done RACQ!

Rip off

Adopted a dog from a rescue. No vet history. Makes a claim then gets told that we got denied because it was prior condition. We didn't even know he had it before! He had no prior history! Rip off!

EMMAB

EMMABPerth, WA

Dreadful - wish so much I had stuck with Medibank Pet

Absolutely horrendous

I have been with RACQ for 7 years with no claims. I am cancelling with them today as after discovering our pup has elbow Dysplasia they refuse to cover him or even explain to me why they don’t cover that condition. I had a disgusting, pig of a man speak to me like an idiot on the phone. Do not go with RACQ.

Pet insurance.

Paid premiums for 12 months with extra TLC coverage. Lump appeared under my dogs arm got it tested was not cancerous was a fat build up and was quiet small. It got bigger so we had removed 3 months later. RACQ then did not refund me any money as they deemed it pre exsisting because i had tested 3 months earlier. Avoid racq pet insurance at all cost. Took them over a month since i made the claim to tell me they weren't covering it.

Ann K

Ann K

Save your money instead!

I have cancelled my pet insurance policy after 3 years. Impart due to excessive fees but mainly due to a recent claim that was partially paid. In addition, the claims process is cumbersome and lengthy. For those that have a Greencross Vet nearby, I suggest you investigate the Pet Plus option as the benefits may outweigh anything an insurance company will provide. Alternatively, save the insurance premiums into your own emergency pet account and have the funds for when you need.

ecc

eccbrisbane

tried to content a claim despite the vet's ok

JCC

JCCBrisbane

No app and no claim received confirmation email

Have to print, complete and email claim form. No response to confirm claim received or processed a week later. We chose racq over woolworths because it was slightly cheaper. I didn't even think about whether they'd have an online portal or mobile app for easy claims. Woolworths has an online portal, easy claims and paid $10,000 in surgery fees for our other dog in 2017. We should have stuck with them.

Insurance claim madeYes

Email received saying cancelled policy due to multiple claims.

tiredofscams

tiredofscamsPerth

RAC Pet insurance WA

All very nice and sweet til you put in a claim, then they turn cold...we were told our pet had accident cover from the day of cover, no waiting period, when our pet had an accident a week later, they said there were only a few categories of 'accident' they cover, which was to told to me during their hard over the phone sell, which was that we could have 'peace of mind as our pet was covered for the unexpected.... not worth relying on it.

Insurance claim madeNo